Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
    Lol Eilis O'Hanlon. As out of touch (and bitter) as it's possible to be.

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/c...-38937972.html
    Is anything in the article actually wrong?

Everything is on point if you ask me, the only possible caveat is that the 'me feinism' isn't restricted to this younger generation it applies to all of them.
    Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
      I don't think the refusal of FF/FG to deal with SF is playing particularly well, I wouldn't be surprised to see SF surpass FG which is a scary thought.

Comment

Think the numbers might be there in the end for some sort of SF led mega left/Indo coalition.

God help us all

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
          Think the numbers might be there in the end for some sort of SF led mega left/Indo coalition.

God help us all
          Time to apply for a UK passport

Comment

Storm Ciara yet another Met Eireann scam.
            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
              Lol Eilis O'Hanlon. As out of touch (and bitter) as it's possible to be.

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/c...-38937972.html
              Hook it to my veins!!!
              "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                Storm Ciara yet another Met Eireann scam.
                As they do them alphabetically Dennis is next but interestingly for K it will be Kitty . Storm Kitty sounds a real monster .

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post

Everything is on point if you ask me, the only possible caveat is that the 'me feinism' isn't restricted to this younger generation it applies to all of them.
                  It's wrong to say a feud over a bar fight in South Armagh 13 years ago and what a SF rep said about it at the time should have any relevance to a general election fought on housing, health, tax and the climate. Paul Quinn's murder wasn't political then and it isn't now. Thankfully young people see through such nonsense more readily.

But if this outcome - following a savage full court press over fabricated IRA nonsense in the last week of the election - moves us on politically and dissuades the media from trying it on again, that would be phenomenal for the quality of our societal conversation.
                  "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Well for starters she doesn't cite any actual data for any position she claims young people are taking.

The only person she quotes in the article is another journalist, albeit one looked upon with some scepticism as 'young'.

The rest of the 'quotes' are things she claims young people are saying (a typical knee-jerk position of old media whose self-justification is that they somehow have their 'finger on the pulse' more than anyone else.)

The arrogance and lack of self awareness of her position is really quite the microcosm of what's wrong with a society that values, just as an example, property over housing.

Comment

Jack Chambers clearly operating on a different level here.

Comment

Historic Criminality up the North doesn't have the same resonance for young people as the issues that affect them directly. Seems fairly pragmatic to me, high profile reports and displays of ostentatious wealth juxtaposed with homeless crisis/property affordability. A vote to shuffle the deck doesn't seem that irrational from lots of their perspectives.
                        Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                        https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

The entire crux of the article is completely moronic. The author just takes a segment of society that is so large as to be utterly useless, and has very little in common, and accuses them of hypocrisy because they believe a lot of things, some of which either are or seem contradictory; all with the self-satisfied sneer of a typical independent opinion journalist who thinks that s/he is being controversial by using the word woke. It's just an excuse for the journalist to complain about things they don't like about young people.
                          If you gather up 1/4 of the electorate they are likely to, as a whole, believe some contradictory stuff.

Replace with the word "young" with some other segment and see if it makes any sense. It's the equivalent of accusing over 50's of hypocrisy because some of them are racist, but lots of them eat Chinese food.

There are other errors and problems too, but that's the worst.

Comment

SF/FF in government. Mary Loo in Health and O'Broin in Housing.

That should kill them off nicely.

Comment

SF/FF in government. Mary Loo in Health and O'Broin in Housing.

That should kill them off nicely.
                              Best case scenario for FG imo.

SF seat line now 35.5
                              Last edited by Guest; 09-02-20, 10:53.

Comment

Of course handing a booming economy over to populists does carry some risk...

Comment

SF seat line now 35.5
                                  So, 45/40/35...ish?

Proportional representation really is a mess. Need a list system.

Comment

So, 45/40/35...ish?

Proportional representation really is a mess. Need a list system.
                                    47/38/36 apparently, FF/SF?

No one else required I suppose
                                    Last edited by Guest; 09-02-20, 11:03. Reason: Correction 36 now

Comment

I know next to nothing about politics but surely FF and SF tax policies wouldn't be compatible?

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Between being up at crack of dawn fighting off two 4yo's and impending Election doom this actually made me feel warm inside

I think it' because it brings me back to a different time in my life. I fucking hate February. As soon as it clcks in from January I get a knot in my stomach, this year seems to be very bad because its 30 years. Like whats that about, 30 is just a random number, what fucking difference does that make. Anyway for some reason I feel now that I really have to go find him and ask the quesion. I need to know.

I suppose the reason I feel like shit for the whole month is I can't pin it to an exact date. It took a few days of searching before they found her body, which finally happened on Pancake Tuesday, another day I hate.

She was an only child who only had two children. She had no cousins or other family. My kid brother died from a brain tumour so it's only me who remembers. Only me who wonders. He was never charged due to lack of evidence I think, but at this stage it has eaten up too much of me. I have to know.

For the first time in my life this morning I googled his name. He is older now of course but still possibly seems to live in his home town. Maybe this month I will make my first trip to Banbridge, Co Down. Maybe. Google maps says its 1h23m away. Anyway, sorry for the rant. Sometimes you just have to I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                            I know next to nothing about politics but surely FF and SF tax policies wouldn't be compatible?
                                            They’re not. FF and FG are the obvious choice for a coalition.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                              Ye guys sure know how to elect them.
                                              Must be big Alan Partridge fans
                                              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                Surely, given that SF have all the answers to the pressing issues of state, they would be confident of getting their central policy planks enacted in a coalition?

Now that you have the numbers, shouting from the sidelines is no longer an option...govern us.

Comment

Some depressing Sinn Fein landslides in areas. Baffling why they didn't run a 2nd candidate in areas like Dublin South West when Crowe was always going to dominate. Even that MMA pikey probably would have got in had he run.
                                                  Profit before people.

Comment

Logical from the perspective of policies but I think FG especially know that sitting out this next 4 years may be more advantageous to their position LT.

Clearly the electorate has responded to the SF rhetoric so do FG go into a coalition knowing the inevitable result is having to endure 4 years of SF as primary opposition and the rhetoric which has clear resonated so well with the public or do you take a cycle off knowing that SF have little ability to apply their policies and FFs track record.

As RD3 said, your rhetoric has won over enough of the electorate, step up to the plate and let's see what these Black & Tan singing saviours can accomplish.

Comment

Mairéad Farrell SF topping the poll in Galway West with more than half the boxes tallied.
                                                      Totally out of the blue. Lost her seat in locals.

Looking like Noel Grealish will be returned safely as predicted.

Biggest sea change in Irish politics in my lifetime. Still conflicted about what it all means.
                                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                        Some depressing Sinn Fein landslides in areas. Baffling why they didn't run a 2nd candidate in areas like Dublin South West when Crowe was always going to dominate. Even that MMA pikey probably would have got in had he run.
                                                        A 2 candidate campaigns is different, and bring into play the possibility of getting no candidates elected if it goes wrong.

You are quite often aiming to be elected #3 and #4 after putting in a huge amount of work and a very disciplined constituency/vote split, which is quite a mindset change when you could cruise to #1 or #2 instead.

As it turns out now they could have got more seats quite comfortably but did it look that way 3 weeks ago when nominations closed? Or last year when they were strategizing this election in the aftermath of some terrible results in locals and EU?

Comment

It's wrong to say a feud over a bar fight in South Armagh 13 years ago and what a SF rep said about it at the time should have any relevance to a general election fought on housing, health, tax and the climate. Paul Quinn's murder wasn't political then and it isn't now. Thankfully young people see through such nonsense more readily.

But if this outcome - following a savage full court press over fabricated IRA nonsense in the last week of the election - moves us on politically and dissuades the media from trying it on again, that would be phenomenal for the quality of our societal conversation.
                                                          Wow! So you think his family are fabricating nonsense.
                                                          The IRA using murder as a tool to prolong their strategic control of an part of Ireland in 2007 long after they told us they didn't exist anymore, the fake news tactics employed the army council members within SF to victim blame are not political.

Nice one, good luck in continuing to make adjustments to your moral compass as the Nationalist, Socailist party take poer.
                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

As RD3 said, your rhetoric has won over enough of the electorate, step up to the plate and let's see what these Black & Tan singing saviours can accomplish.
                                                            I think Lloyd's opinion was a purely personal one. Pearse Doherty just now saying that of course they want to be in government, to deliver on the desire for change....and Mary Loo has been speaking to the leaders of the other parties already today.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                              Biggest sea change in Irish politics in my lifetime. Still conflicted about what it all means.
                                                              Not even close to 2011. Step away from the hype-ometer!

Comment

And much LOL at the absolute imbeciles who are upset at IRA SF links still being discussed by families who have fought SF/IRA resistance to them getting justice in this decade but went apoplectic at the idea of any commemoration of Irish policemen of one hundred fucking years ago.

Talk about snowflakes FFS!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                    @Raoul I see, Neale has been appointed as the one-true protestant in place of Ross
                                                                    Good riddance to that charlatan Ross anyway. Would have thought Heather Humphreys was the uber-Prod of the Dail.

Comment

Has to be value in the 'highest first pref in the country' market so, MHR is currently 4/11. A single shinner standing in a constituency eg cullinane at 25/1 could be worth a look
                                                                      Crikey with 20K first prefs, cullinane won't be far off

Comment

One of the better things about our elections is to watch the dreams of individuals you detest being ever so slowly crushed.

So on that note, I am deeply anti-funking for Stephen Donnelly in Wickla.

Comment

Not even close to 2011. Step away from the hype-ometer!
                                                                          What? FF tagging out for FG. More of the same .com.
                                                                          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                            What? FF tagging out for FG. More of the same .com.
                                                                            Look at the number of seats. SF win a dozen, FG lose a few, FF much the same.

That's not seismic in any way.

2011 broke FF for ever. The party that dominated government for 80 years.

This election by contrast is inconclusive.

Comment

One of the better things about our elections is to watch the dreams of individuals you detest being ever so slowly crushed.

So on that note, I am deeply anti-funking for Stephen Donnelly in Wickla.
                                                                              Shane Ross

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                Shane Ross
                                                                                Won't even get a sweat out of that one! Gonzo.

We can thank ionapaul (at the direction of the HHE) for this.

Comment

Labour seem to be performing even worse than their lowly projections. Looking like 3 or 4 max for them.
                                                                                  Profit before people.

Comment

The “ I’m alright jack” voting bloc steadily eroding
                                                                                    Need a video of eoghan harris watching these results, would be beautiful
                                                                                    Leo will be ascending to some euroquango cushy number, Taoiseach was always just a stepping stone for him

Comment

Surely, given that SF have all the answers to the pressing issues of state, they would be confident of getting their central policy planks enacted in a coalition?

Now that you have the numbers, shouting from the sidelines is no longer an option...govern us.
                                                                                      Well you said you wouldn't countenance a coalition with us - either side of the FFG coin. And you have the numbers for a stable coalition. So you govern us, but take housing seriously this time.

Comment

Crikey with 20K first prefs, cullinane won't be far off
                                                                                        Just interviewed on RTE there. The thing that struck me was that he has an absolutely extraordinary nose that looks like it's been broken multiple times.

Was he a hurler by any chance?

Comment

Well you said you wouldn't countenance a coalition with us - either side of the FFG coin. And you have the numbers for a stable coalition. So you govern us, but take housing seriously this time.
                                                                                          I'm literally looking at my tv listening to the victorious SF candidates in Waterford and Dublin West saying the exact opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                            Wow! So you think his family are fabricating nonsense.
                                                                                            The family would like those who murdered their son in jail, they aren't fabricating things. But fundamentally Paul Quinn is dead because he went around knocking out lads in pubs. Not because of politics or religion or anything else.

The IRA using murder as a tool to prolong their strategic control of an part of Ireland in 2007 long after they told us they didn't exist anymore, the fake news tactics employed the army council members within SF to victim blame are not political.

Nice one, good luck in continuing to make adjustments to your moral compass as the Nationalist, Socailist party take poer.
                                                                                            The Paul Quinn murder was nothing to do with the IRA, as included by the independent prob at the time. Scumbag knocks out another scumbag in a pub; doesn't take the threat of the mother of scumbag he knocked out turning up to his door with a hammer seriously; suffers a horrible end. None of that has anything to do with housing, health, tax or the climate in Ireland in 2020 and you know it.

And much LOL at the absolute imbeciles who are upset at IRA SF links still being discussed by families who have fought SF/IRA resistance to them getting justice in this decade but went apoplectic at the idea of any commemoration of Irish policemen of one hundred fucking years ago.

Talk about snowflakes FFS!
                                                                                            How'd the last week work out do you think? Who is it going to be next time:

Jean McConville 2014
                                                                                            Brian Stack 2016
                                                                                            Paul Quinn 2020

All increasingly tenuous, no? But by all means try again if you want...

I do feel immense sympathy for Paul Quinn's parents who will suddenly find their calls not being answered from tomorrow morning on. A shame to leverage the real grief of people for the political gain of FFG.

Comment

I think Lloyd's opinion was a purely personal one. Pearse Doherty just now saying that of course they want to be in government, to deliver on the desire for change....and Mary Loo has been speaking to the leaders of the other parties already today.
                                                                                              Of course it's my personal opinion.

It's always been incredibly obvious to me that the differences between FF and FG are imagined more than real. It would make incredible policy sense for them to be in coalition. They want to stay apart for purely political interest reasons.

Comment

...

Comment

Of course it's my personal opinion.

It's always been incredibly obvious to me that the differences between FF and FG are imagined more than real. It would make incredible policy sense for them to be in coalition. They want to stay apart for purely political interest reasons.
                                                                                                  Mary Loo has been on the blower to Mehole and Leo already today, presumably laying down talks guidelines.

So SF may be about find out the reality of the old truism; with power comes responsibility. Remember that in a couple of years time...

Comment

All increasingly tenuous, no? But by all means try again if you want...
                                                                                                    .
                                                                                                    How about senior Sinn Fein ministers having to consult with the IRA before taking a political decision? Tenuous?
                                                                                                    You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                    World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Mary Loo has been on the blower to Mehole and Leo already today, presumably laying down talks guidelines.

So SF may be about find out the reality of the old truism; with power comes responsibility. Remember that in a couple of years time...
                                                                                                          Well we'll see: the chairmen of FF and FG were both on RTE within the last hour saying they would not countenance negotiating with SF under any circumstance.

If they do want SF in, SF will be expecting the vast majority of their policy platform to form the program for government. Or we go back to the polls. Win win!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                                                            How about senior Sinn Fein ministers having to consult with the IRA before taking a political decision? Tenuous?
                                                                                                            All three main parties have structures that involve unelected people pushing strategy / policy. SF as a whole necessarily include those formerly involved in the IRA campaign at all levels of the party. That's what a peace process requires. If none of those IRA people had a place to go to carry on the struggle in a peaceful democratic way we never would have had a GFA and the peace process that came thereafter.

So not sure "tenuous" is the right word. Facile, synthetic, irrelevant might be better words.

Comment

All three main parties have structures that involve unelected people pushing strategy / policy. SF as a whole necessarily include those formerly involved in the IRA campaign at all levels of the party. That's what a peace process requires. If none of those IRA people had a place to go to carry on the struggle in a peaceful democratic way we never would have had a GFA and the peace process that came thereafter.

So not sure "tenuous" is the right word. Facile, synthetic, irrelevant might be better words.
                                                                                                              This might be the point whereby this logic breaks down.

Comment

Paul Donnelly seems to be one of the least impressive speakers I've ever heard in politics, can barely string a coherent sentence together. Concerning this is the level of candidate that's benefiting from the protest votes.
                                                                                                                Profit before people.

Comment

If they do want SF in, SF will be expecting the vast majority of their policy platform to form the program for government. Or we go back to the polls. Win win!!
                                                                                                                  I understand you're naturally overexcited today.

But there is no chance of the 'majority of the SF platform' being implemented. Compromise will be required.

Comment

Here's a mass murderer singing triumphalist IRA songs today at an election count

This is the kind of government you have voted for in the year must to build a whole new consensus on the North

Comment

Formerly involved??

That’s where you go from reasonable support for a political party to blind allegiance to a fake left wing movement with access to a private paramilitary force/ criminal gangs.

Best example: Mary Lou and SF are right about the Special Criminal Court but she can’t make the good argument about it because she knows full well that the real reason SF want it gone are because Slab Murphy and his pals don’t like it.

They aren’t a party with a dodgy past. They’re a party with a dodgy present.
                                                                                                                      You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                                      World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

The level of derangement over Come Out Ye Black and Tans has probably been the most tedious thing in the campaign tbh.

Comment

This might be the point whereby this logic breaks down.
                                                                                                                          There has been no ongoing IRA paramilitary campaign in 22 years. Decommissioning was fully completed 12 years ago. SF actively support policing structures and the apparatus of the state north and south. There is no logic breakdown here whatsoever sir.

The SCC is opposed by the Green Party, Amnesty International, Irish Council for Civil Liberties and the UN Commission on human rights. All famous IRA supporters.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X