This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
    65k over the asking price? Does it come with free hookers?
    I hate to break it to you, but in Dublin for a secondhand house, that's more the rule than the exception.

Comment

Revolting on BBC is good.

G4S creche sketch was funny.
      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

65k over the asking price? Does it come with free hookers?
        Honestly, he didn't think he would have to go so high but the guys who are selling it were determined to get as many people as possible through the door. It ended up with him and 3 first time buyers, and as he has already sold his own house for a lot more, he wasn't going to be out bid.
        Moving in at the start of February.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
            What an odd story:

A close-knit community has pulled together to raise funds for a young family with four children who lost their only savings just days after Christmas.

Dad-of-four Liam Scully (30) was panic-stricken to discover he had dropped a wallet holding more than €2,000 after withdrawing it from the bank in Cavan Town on Friday and was devastated that he was unable to find it after retracing his steps.
            “I work as a scaffolder up in Dublin and I called into the bank to take out our money for the month which is what we usually do," he told Independent.ie.

"It wasn’t until I got home that I pulled my phone out of my pocket and realised that the wallet wasn’t there. I was nearly in tears pulling apart the car looking for it. We usually have a bit of savings but after Christmas and Santy we just didn't.
            “I drove back into town, retracing my steps. I was on my knees looking under cars in the car park, retracing my steps from the car to the bank… there was just about 200 yards between them. I came home then and my five-year-old said his Mammy was crying, it was horrible,” he said.

Liam’s wife Laura took to Facebook to ask her friends to keep an eye out for the missing wallet, which contained the family’s savings to get through January. The post was brought to the attention of local hairdresser Lorraine O’Neill, who said she couldn’t stop thinking about the young family after hearing of their misfortune.
            “When I saw the post I just couldn’t stop thinking about them. I couldn’t get them out of my head. I knew we could do something to help them. They’re such a lovely young couple and they come from a family of hard workers and have four little boys,” said Lorraine, who owns Main Street Barbers in Cavan Town.

Lorraine decided to raffle off two GHD hair straighteners and was astonished at the generosity of her customers and local people who raised €2000 to help the couple within six hours.
            “Cavan is just a town of great people and there is such good will around, it was fantastic how we all pulled together. We actually raised €3370 so we are thinking we might do something for the town like get a nice bench with the rest of the money,” said Lorraine.

Although Liam believes that his wallet was picked up by a passerby, he says the experience has given his family a much greater gift than just money.
            “My wallet had my driver’s licence and SAFE pass in it so whoever did pick it up would know that I wasn’t hard to find. But the experience has showed us what a fantastic community we live in.”

“It’s given us a lot more than money. I get a bit emotional thinking about it. They say God sends angels every now and then so you know they exist and Lorraine is definitely one and another lady Fiona Corby. We couldn’t believe it. You think that we live in a cynical world where nobody cares about their neighbours, but the people of Cavan really proved that that’s not the case,” he said.
            The dad said he will keep the list of the people who helped the young family to show his children when they grow up.

"We will always remember it."
            Seems dodgey but its also legit standard behaviour of culchies. My ould lad is definitely in the school of don't trust dem banks with me money. Credit union are alright though as they're run "by the people".

Didn't stop him dropping a roll of 50's with €2k+ from his pocket in Galway a couple of years back. Thankfully it turned up later in the day in the pub he'd been in for lunch with my sister. Thankfully some sound staff worked there.

"Atm are too much hassle and cards are dodgey, I don't want to be stuck like". "Maybe I might have to buy something large and get a good cash price".

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
              Oh that seems fun. Would a first timer have any chance of being able to shoot one though? Would be a bit depressing to turn up, randomly fire, miss everything. But has a lovely element of newness to it.
              Did it once, hit 7 out if 10 after missing the first 2

Piece of piss!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                  I got very excited about buying a dyson hoover today in a black friday deal.
                  I've become everything I've ever hated

Our supplier has informed us that this item is no longer available

given I placed the order on 25 November and they only mailed me this morning saying this after multiple "it's coming, we swear, just running late" I'm annoyed I cannot make them honor the deal
                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Comment

Our supplier has informed us that this item is no longer available

given I placed the order on 25 November and they only mailed me this morning saying this after multiple "it's coming, we swear, just running late" I'm annoyed I cannot make them honor the deal
                      dyson.ie website has a January sale on. I bought something from there recently, had it with me 2 days later. The V6 (as well as other hoovers) are reduced in price a good bit at the minute.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                        dyson.ie website has a January sale on. I bought something from there recently, had it with me 2 days later. The V6 (as well as other hoovers) are reduced in price a good bit at the minute.

this guy was 170 sterling

onto Amit at the moment, hoping he will kindly do the needful
                        Last edited by DeadParrot; 04-01-17, 00:06.
                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

We have Amazon Prime here - tried it in Ireland and it doesn't really work as everything is inexplicably sent from UK - but it's mad how good it is. Everything there first thing next day. Think 70% of our entire shopping is spent with them as a result. If they could just do it faster you'd be 100% Amazon.
                                can't justify prime just yet.
                                I use it one and off, but easily a few hundred quid a year

Comment

Comment

Comment

My entire faith in Amazon right now relies on them rectifying the dastardly situation they've put you in (they will) and the Portuguese rum I'm currently drinking. If they don't you need to come back and tell us as that's rather shitty.
                                      Amit seems to be having difficulty grasping the concepts I'm laying out here.....

I will the pay the amount, I will pay the 170 the item was listed for, that is what I'm asking of you
                                      Amit: I can understand and you can place this order from the ware house deals
                                      Me: Will I be credited the difference in price?
                                      Amit: I am sorry to say that but I can not give the price difference in the account
                                      Me: You understand my frustration yes? The item fulfilled by amazon EU Sàrl was cancelled as it was not available, however, I can still purchase the item from amazonEU Sàrl but at a much more expensive price.
                                      For a company priding itself on customer service, I cannot see why this is not something extremely straightforward to resolve
                                      the saga continues....

Comment

Amit is playing hardball

Amit: Please allow me a moment here
                                        Thank you for your patience
                                        Me: no problem
                                        Amit: Our prices may increase or decrease based on a number of factors and unfortunately, we can’t offer you a refund for the difference between the price in your order and the lower price you saw on our website.
                                        Although we work towards offering value to customers on everything we sell on our website through consistently competitive pricing, we realize that from time to time, our customers will be able to buy products from another store at a lower price than ours. We recognize that you have a choice of retailers and are grateful that you’d prefer to order from us.
                                        Me: no you misunderstand....this is not a lower price I saw on your website. I made the purchase 203-1981546-132xxxx on the 25th AT this price.
                                        you are now giving me a copy paste response Amit, I thought we have a rapport going on...
                                        I made a good faith purchase from Amazon.co.uk for an item. You cancelled the order saying it wasn't available. I can still buy this item (fulfilled by amazon, not another vendor) but at a higher price. If I order now it will be here in 4-5 days, so it IS available. This is a very cut and dry case here. Honor my original order and allow me to receive my item at the price I agreed to pay for it. Is there some facet of this I am not getting?

Comment

Amit isn't playing....

Amit: Thank you for your patience and sorry for keeping you on hold this long
                                          I can completely understand but the thing is totally beyond the policy, I can not do this as my hand are tied with the policy
                                          Me: This policy seems to fly in the face of all contrary reports of amazon's exceptional customer service.
                                          Amazon cancelled this order as they say they couldn't fulfill it, I can order it now and they CAN fulfill it. This is a pretty unreal scenario
                                          Amit: DP, I do understand that however I apologies that we can't help in this matter.
                                          I'm sorry I couldn't be of much help as our policy restricts us to take any action.
                                          Please note that its not our intention to cause any sort of inconvenience to you.
                                          I hope our chat is still connected.
                                          Last edited by DeadParrot; 04-01-17, 01:18.

Comment

This fella has wound me right up

Amit: Thank you for your patience and sorry for keeping you on hold this long
                                            I can completely understand but the thing is totally beyond the policy, I can not do this as my hand are tied with the policy
                                            Me: This policy seems to fly in the face of all contrary reports of amazon's exceptional customer service.
                                            Amazon cancelled this order as they say they couldn't fulfill it, I can order it now and they CAN fulfill it. This is a pretty unreal scenario
                                            Amit: DP, I do understand that however I apologies that we can't help in this matter.
                                            I'm sorry I couldn't be of much help as our policy restricts us to take any action.
                                            Please note that its not our intention to cause any sort of inconvenience to you.
                                            I hope our chat is still connected.
                                            Me: it is
                                            Amit: Sure .
                                            Me: Can you supply me the details of this policy particularly as it pertains to cancelling orders due to lack of stock and the relisting of the same items at a marked up price?
                                            Amit: DP, I apologies that we can't share this due to restriction .
                                            Apart form this is there anything else I can do for you
                                            Me: You are kidding me...from a customer service point of view this is pretty poor.
                                            I ordered an item on 25th Nov with a delivery date of Dec 16
                                            On Dec 21st I received a mail saying it was delayed but would be with me as soon as possible
                                            On Dec 29th I received a mail from Amazon saying it was cancelled as the item is not available.
                                            I checked the listing and it is available but at a higher price from the same supplier (AMAZON SARL EU)
                                            During the course of this conversation I recieved a mail, I guess from you saying the "
                                            I've checked your order # 203-1981546-132xxxx and found that the price of " Dyson V6 Cordless Vacuum Cleaner" has dropped since you placed your order. " Which is not the case at all.
                                            and you cannot tell me the policy due to restriction why you cannot help me....unreal
                                            Last edited by DeadParrot; 04-01-17, 09:15.

Comment

Did you tell him you are a big shot on the internet DP ?

Tell him if he doesn't get the finger out you may have to make a meme !
                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                What an odd story:

A close-knit community has pulled together to raise funds for a young family with four children who lost their only savings just days after Christmas.

Dad-of-four Liam Scully (30) was panic-stricken to discover he had dropped a wallet holding more than €2,000 after withdrawing it from the bank in Cavan Town on Friday and was devastated that he was unable to find it after retracing his steps.
                                                “I work as a scaffolder up in Dublin and I called into the bank to take out our money for the month which is what we usually do," he told Independent.ie.

"It wasn’t until I got home that I pulled my phone out of my pocket and realised that the wallet wasn’t there. I was nearly in tears pulling apart the car looking for it. We usually have a bit of savings but after Christmas and Santy we just didn't.
                                                “I drove back into town, retracing my steps. I was on my knees looking under cars in the car park, retracing my steps from the car to the bank… there was just about 200 yards between them. I came home then and my five-year-old said his Mammy was crying, it was horrible,” he said.

Liam’s wife Laura took to Facebook to ask her friends to keep an eye out for the missing wallet, which contained the family’s savings to get through January. The post was brought to the attention of local hairdresser Lorraine O’Neill, who said she couldn’t stop thinking about the young family after hearing of their misfortune.
                                                “When I saw the post I just couldn’t stop thinking about them. I couldn’t get them out of my head. I knew we could do something to help them. They’re such a lovely young couple and they come from a family of hard workers and have four little boys,” said Lorraine, who owns Main Street Barbers in Cavan Town.

Lorraine decided to raffle off two GHD hair straighteners and was astonished at the generosity of her customers and local people who raised €2000 to help the couple within six hours.
                                                “Cavan is just a town of great people and there is such good will around, it was fantastic how we all pulled together. We actually raised €3370 so we are thinking we might do something for the town like get a nice bench with the rest of the money,” said Lorraine.

Although Liam believes that his wallet was picked up by a passerby, he says the experience has given his family a much greater gift than just money.
                                                “My wallet had my driver’s licence and SAFE pass in it so whoever did pick it up would know that I wasn’t hard to find. But the experience has showed us what a fantastic community we live in.”

“It’s given us a lot more than money. I get a bit emotional thinking about it. They say God sends angels every now and then so you know they exist and Lorraine is definitely one and another lady Fiona Corby. We couldn’t believe it. You think that we live in a cynical world where nobody cares about their neighbours, but the people of Cavan really proved that that’s not the case,” he said.
                                                The dad said he will keep the list of the people who helped the young family to show his children when they grow up.

"We will always remember it."
                                                That's lovely

Comment

Interview with French professional poker player, Lucille Cailly, at Unibet Open in London 2012.

Lucille Cailly is a comedian now. She's not funny :-( I still like her though. At least she tries it!

Comment

I confronted a Dyson sales rep about the term 'digital motor' that they use in their ads, and how it was completely meaningless because a motor is just a motor. I too didn't get much satisfaction.

Comment

Amazon need to sort it out so. If you shop with them anyway regularly they will.
                                                      I love Amazon as well, haven't bothered with prime as I haven't found the need to get anything that fast. Did all the Christmas shopping through it. Unlike DP I had a good experience when a problem hit...

A huge box arrived burst opened at the end of November, Santa toys in it. The youngest is mad into bin lorries and her letter to Santa was a new tablet and 2 bin lorries. Santa obliged! There was a bin lorry she saw in a local toy shop here and wanted. I got that one from Amazon. Since the box was damaged I checked every item and the bin lorry box was ripped to bits. I checked what was meant to be in the boy and one of the little bins you work with on the back was missing. So I took photos of everything from the box before opened to the contents inside and the bin lorry box.

I emailed Amazon and they replied pretty quick. I sent on the pictures and they put the bin back on order and apologised for what happened. I asked where I was to send the bin lorry, they said keep it or bin it. She now has 3 bin lorries and is in heaven lol.

@DP - That is pretty shit they doing that, The company (not amazon) are justr wanting to squeeze as much out of folks as possible by the look of it.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                        I confronted a Dyson sales rep about the term 'digital motor' that they use in their ads, and how it was completely meaningless because a motor is just a motor. I too didn't get much satisfaction.
                                                        Amit just ended up needling me.
                                                        I think I may take this up again today

01:21 AM GMT Amit: I do apologies for this
                                                        01:22 AM GMT Amit: I can completely understand. If that happened to me, I'd be really upset too. I can imagine how frustrating that must be.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                          @DP - That is pretty shit they doing that, The company (not amazon) are justr wanting to squeeze as much out of folks as possible by the look of it.
                                                          All items ordered would be fulfilled by amazon, I didnt go third party. I rarely do on amazon because the delivery charges suck

Comment

Comment

lucky escape TBH Dyson build quality is Sh1t.
                                                              Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                              https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

You can buy vacuum cleaners that are more powerful than Dyson's and work every bit as well at less than a third of the price

Edit:
                                                                Not a third of the reduced price Amazon won't honour for you obv
                                                                Last edited by Strewelpeter; 04-01-17, 09:32.

Comment

@DP: Amazon's service has gone to shit. I guarantee you Amit can't give you a refund even if he wanted to. Stop talking to him and escalate that shit.
                                                                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I am sure it will come as a massive comfort to you DP to know that I got a dyson from my sisters for Christmas and it is awesome.

One of my sisters knows a guy who does product design for Dyson so she got a good deal but more importantly he told her to get one that sucks up animal hair even if you have not pets. I got the V8 animal which is basically the only one the guy would recommend to her or give her a discount on.

Turned out we had been living knee deep in dust basically looking a the amount of crap that came out of and the new (original) colour of the carpets. The car is also looking pretty great and it seems to have gotten rid of all the pine needles from dumping the tree.

Comment

@DP: Amazon's service has gone to shit. I guarantee you Amit can't give you a refund even if he wanted to. Stop talking to him and escalate that shit.
                                                                      If it takes more than 20 minutes or 2 phone calls you are talking to the wrong person as a general move and escalate.

Comment

How frowned upon is it to have a kid miss the last week of junior infants so we can go on holiday?

Comment

All items ordered would be fulfilled by amazon, I didnt go third party. I rarely do on amazon because the delivery charges suck
                                                                          The delivery charge to Malta is pretty good. was cheaper than using parcel motel as you paid for every drop. We got a ton of stuff delivered and it was 16 quid delivery. There was 7 different things and it was an expensive enough amount. I think that was good.

The next big box was delivered for £6

Comment

How frowned upon is it to have a kid miss the last week of junior infants so we can go on holiday?
                                                                            My parents had us out of the last week of primary school all the time to get cheap holidays. I ended up in recruitment where as you are a physics lecturer.

Depends on if you want them to be a sociopathic sales person or a frustrated academic based on a pretty small sample size.

Comment

They don't do much, they might miss a wee party just. Loads disappear for the last week or so. Aimee missed the last 10 days of her school year when we moved here. She wasn't one bit bothered apart from the school tour which was on the day we flew to Malta.

Just check that one, the school tour as kids can get pretty upset if they have heard about it and want to go.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                                My parents had us out of the last week of primary school all the time to get cheap holidays. I ended up in recruitment where as you are a physics lecturer.

Depends on if you want them to be a sociopathic sales person or a frustrated academic based on a pretty small sample size.
                                                                                I didn't really mean from the 'learning outcome' end of things, more from a 'state wagging a finger' point of view.

Comment

While taping a documentary on video poker, Jim Moran -- son of Congressman James Moran, who is sponsoring 2 bills regarding online poker -- makes a miraculou...

Comment

I didn't really mean from the 'learning outcome' end of things, more from a 'state wagging a finger' point of view.
                                                                                    surely as a professor, in a college, you have some kind of +5 cape of education thing that will ward off the futile finger wagging attack of a junior infants teacher.

Comment

Fuck them if they can't take a joke
                                                                                      airport, lol

Comment

The Dyson is now £30 dearer that it was yesterday on amazon.
                                                                                        Amit has presented his upturned middle finger to me
                                                                                        I can get it fro £199 from dyson.co.uk as apposed to €299 from .ie store.

I'm seriously devoting too much time to a feckign hoover

Comment

If you are doing it as a one off and from JI year probably not so much but in general its seen as a very bad thing and an indicator of parental attitudes towards education.

I've been struck by the contrast in attitude and outcomes between some supposedly high aspirational families who always talked a good game whose kids always missed half of June and that of some other families involved in a seasonal business that took them on the road from April to october and whose parents would drive hundreds of miles every weekend and sometimes daily to make sure the children didn't miss out.

Comment

What type of fitbit type thing should I look at getting? Runnings not really my thing so would rule out one aimed solely at those, went looking at reviews and just got more confused as I went.

Comment

Just casually mention you have an overseas physics thing that has to be attended and your little Einsteins will benefot

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                                                                                              What type of fitbit type thing should I look at getting? Runnings not really my thing so would rule out one aimed solely at those, went looking at reviews and just got more confused as I went.
                                                                                              Did you go back to the gym? Have these kids at home till Monday! desperate to get down and see it.

Comment

Did you go back to the gym? Have these kids at home till Monday! desperate to get down and see it.
                                                                                                No not yet, bit of a cold/flu type thing has me half knocked out, next week at this rate. The goal is the Grid Malta in June so 6 months to prepare.

TheGrid Obstacle Course in Malta - 15k of pure challenges

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

I never saw a hol as a child
                                                                                                  Her sky-ness
                                                                                                  © 5starpool

Comment

No not yet, bit of a cold/flu type thing has me half knocked out, next week at this rate. The goal is the Grid Malta in June so 6 months to prepare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ki4QxxJc6w
                                                                                                    I'm still toying with it! If Jenny can do it I can lol. I will prob go Tuesday next week as have an agency interview on the Monday. Loads have the cold at the minute, I have managed to escape it! No doubt I will be floored for Saturday instead...

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                                                      I never saw a hol as a child
                                                                                                      Are you serious? you must have done something?

My first holiday abroad was when I was 18 months old and every year till I was about 8. Then we started going to Devon. The folks always made sure we had a summer holiday, it was the norm in Scotland.

Comment

Lanzarote at 17 was the first time I got off the island.

Comment

My first holiday abroad was when I was 18 months old and every year till I was about 8. Then we started going to Devon. The folks always made sure we had a summer holiday, it was the norm in Scotland.
                                                                                                          You forget how poor Ireland was. Nobody could afford to fly anywhere. We had a yearly trip to various places in Ireland when I was a kid, and one trip around the west coast of England and Wales, but we got the ferry over. It was the mid 90's before my parents started taking sun holidays. I preferred to stay home (free gaffs wooooo), so I was 19 when I first got on a plane (to Malta, coincidentally). We simply couldn't afford anything else.
                                                                                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

In outlook, I have rules created for certain emails to go to certain folders as they come in. But I only get desktop notifications for emails that go directly into my inbox and not a created folder, can I change this somewhere?
                                                                                                            airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                                              In outlook, I have rules created for certain emails to go to certain folders as they come in. But I only get desktop notifications for emails that go directly into my inbox and not a created folder, can I change this somewhere?
                                                                                                              If you edit the rule, there might be a setting for "display a desktop notification" in the Actions section.

Comment

Lived in Southampton up to aged 10.isle of white was only hol. My parents always worked and I was an only child, guess they just weren't into hols.

Next hol aged 27 gran Canaria. Took every drug on the island collapsed on the street woke up in a female doctors apartment who kindly picked me up and took me to her place and looked after me. So don't remember much about that one.
                                                                                                                Her sky-ness
                                                                                                                © 5starpool

Comment

...collapsed on the street woke up in a female doctors apartment ....

Comment

My family never had any holiday, ever.

Fuck the Dyson, they are shit anyway, get a miele

Comment

Here you go. ...... http://www.harveynorman.ie/connected...-blaze-en.html

Smurph got one for Christmas and it seems to be working well.

Comment

You forget how poor Ireland was. Nobody could afford to fly anywhere. We had a yearly trip to various places in Ireland when I was a kid, and one trip around the west coast of England and Wales, but we got the ferry over. It was the mid 90's before my parents started taking sun holidays. I preferred to stay home (free gaffs wooooo), so I was 19 when I first got on a plane (to Malta, coincidentally). We simply couldn't afford anything else.
                                                                                                                        Lived in Southampton up to aged 10.isle of white was only hol. My parents always worked and I was an only child, guess they just weren't into hols.

Next hol aged 27 gran Canaria. Took every drug on the island collapsed on the street woke up in a female doctors apartment who kindly picked me up and took me to her place and looked after me. So don't remember much about that one.
                                                                                                                        There are loads of people who view their holidays as a reward for working all year, think that is why my folks done it. They worked hard for it and deserved it. I have always done the same with my kids, Lucie was 16 months on her first trip abroad. Lewis was 3 and Aimee 7 months! nice to have all that to look back on. I have loads of fond memories of Spanish holidays as a kid. I was too young when we went to France and Germany.

How does your story not surprise me! surprised you waited till 27 to go away!

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

I didn't think there was a huge difference between Scotland and Ireland. My grandparents always went abroad. We had a caravanette and the two cars and we all travelled together when I was really young. Also my other grandparents were the same, loved to go abroad.

We weren't particularly wealthy I don't think. They just planned and saved and made sure we always got away. Used to go away every couple of Sunday's through the summer holidays as well to a resort for a day trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

Just got myself a Vax steam mop since my shark was the only thing that got damaged in the move. Moved to a Country where it is needed more with the marble floors, just my luck

I ordered from Amazon and got it in the sale, delighted with myself

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X