This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
    I've never smoked and it's 100% down to what I've seen them do to my Dad.

Over the last 30 years or so, he has had two tubes put into his chest (before stents we used), he's had dozen of TIA's (mini strokes) has had 5 stents put in, has had his heart stopped and restarted several times, has been in every hospital in Dublin for treatmemt going back as far as The Richmond, has had a massive heart attack that left him in ICU for a week and a really bad stroke. He should never had survived either one but somehow he has. We call him Lazerus 😁

He is now only 73 but he is an incredibly old 73 and struggles with so many things. When I compare him to my mates Dads who are same age, it's like night and day.

Still idolise him but also wish he never smoked as we would be able to do so much more together now if he didn't.

Bizarrely, all three of my sisters smoked which I think is in part due to the age gap between me and then. Eldest sister is 10 years older than me. Youngest sister is 6 years older than me. Think they took up smoking before they could see the harm from it. One still smokes, one would only smoke about 3/4 a year and the other is off them completely over 15 years
    I can see their health means a lot to you.

Comment

Wise men don't cook heroin or it will own you because the heroine always wins. Do ya get it??! I made it up i thought that was clever! Heroin/ Heroine!

:-P

Comment

Originally posted by PeaceandFire View Post
        I have never tried any kind of a drug. Neither parents smoked. My mother's mother died when my mother was twelve from it. My grand smoked a pipe and died just weeks after I was born with it. I was in hospital with whooping cough. I was born too small for the vaccination. And i was not immune they thought oh give it to her a little later. Well i got it...my dad was toing and froing from one hospital to see me as a baby and my grandad who was dying. My grandad did get to hold me though. Neither parent touched it.

My granny (father's mother ) smoked but she gave it up. Lived much longer ...passed when i was 23.
        you're missing out. plenty of phenomenal drugs out there!

are you also saying you've never had a drop to drink?

Comment

Wise men don't cook heroin or it will own you because the heroine always wins. Do ya get it??! I made it up i thought that was clever! Heroin/ Heroine!

:-P
          Gonna give you an awkward hug, get you a blanket and a cup of hot chocolate, everything is going to be ok.

Comment

Jesus Christ. Just up out of bed 3.15 here and guests already arriving. The fucking hack of me sitting in pjs drinking some kind of tea with mint leaves in it.
            I actually think I'm. Gonna die here.

😱😩😰
            Her sky-ness
            © 5starpool

Comment

He's bleedin bonkers..

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

I am in lazy mode right now too. And i have no excuse of kids etc.

I did 5k three times a week a few years back ...i would have been in college and kept it up a bit after. Then it all fell apart. I did it just by walking first. Don't start running back gently does it. You have to walk 5k every day for a few months before you can run it i think. Save your knees. I am a gentle does it kind of gal. :-)

Martial arts are good. If you are lazy like me. Dance etc. But I think looking back i started most things just by walking.

Never smoked either...they say money buys anything...but if you buy somethings they will own you. Cigarettes are just one of those things.
                I try to walk for at LEAST an hour every day, not sure how many km's I get through. I am 44 now and when I was 40 I did 2 10K runs and ran MOST of the way but not all. I was as skinny as a whippet back then though!

I do ballet, went back after a LONG break. Do it once a week but they are chatting about twice a week which I would love. I love the discipline from it. My eldest comes with me but she is as graceful as an elephant. She has hyperlaxity like me so I assumed with her being so bendy it would be perfect for her. There were no classes where we used to live in Ireland.

She is woeful, but wouldn't tell her that. She does try hard though and that is what counts. At my age I wont be a prima ballerina so I am doing for the exercise!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post

I basically just don't know where to start. Any guidance would be great!
                  C25K is the default for a reason... its a reasonable path that works for most people. The key being most people! It may not work for your circumstances or physiology. But the principles are the same regardless... start doing what you can do and build up from there.

As you are going without a car have you gotten a bicycle? If it's cycling friendly there you could just cycle to a slightly further away store to get your groceries. Easy way of getting a bit more activity in your day. Im not talking about getting a race bike or something like that.. just a city bike for getting around on. It's good, low impact exercise that you can make a part of your daily routine.
                  May you live in interesting times!

Comment

@ MrsF, my wife said the same about the C25K, she found it boring, she also didn't stretch well enough and the aches turned her right off, I'm working on getting her into it.

Have you tried listening to some good tunes or an audio book? Should help with the boredom until you get into shape, then I'd deffo recommend running with others, not sure if there are any parkruns in Malta, deffo do that if there are, or else run some 5k races.

If I lived in your climate I'd definitely do a lot of barefoot beach running, try that maybe.
                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

This time last year i completed C25K, albeit on a treadmill, still though, 33min jogging non stop was something i had never did...and since February have yet to do again...

If a fatso like me can do it, anybody can.

Must start again...
                      This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by bp_me View Post
                        C25K is the default for a reason... its a reasonable path that works for most people. The key being most people! It may not work for your circumstances or physiology. But the principles are the same regardless... start doing what you can do and build up from there.

As you are going without a car have you gotten a bicycle? If it's cycling friendly there you could just cycle to a slightly further away store to get your groceries. Easy way of getting a bit more activity in your day. Im not talking about getting a race bike or something like that.. just a city bike for getting around on. It's good, low impact exercise that you can make a part of your daily routine.
                        If it wasn't groceries for 5 I would get a bike. The pavements aren't the best and the drivers are mental here so I wouldn't feel safe on a bike. I do have roller boots and fancy going along the waterfront from one town to the next that way.

They have a bike rental thing here. They just installed 20 bikes in various locations for people to use their phones to register and borrow. there is a smaller bike station near my house I could use if I wanted to.

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                        @ MrsF, my wife said the same about the C25K, she found it boring, she also didn't stretch well enough and the aches turned her right off, I'm working on getting her into it.

Have you tried listening to some good tunes or an audio book? Should help with the boredom until you get into shape, then I'd deffo recommend running with others, not sure if there are any parkruns in Malta, deffo do that if there are, or else run some 5k races.

If I lived in your climate I'd definitely do a lot of barefoot beach running, try that maybe.
                        I think me not stretching is part of my problem as well. I do it for ballet so should do for this too!

The beaches near me are stone. The beach beside me is a manmade one so not that big. I would go along the coast. I might see how I get on at the gym, do some treadmill and rowing machine exercises as well as some weights. Maybe once I lose another 7lbs I will feel a bit better with myself as well.

I will look to see if there are any parkruns and take it from there.

Thanks for the advice guys, appreciate it.

Comment

Would love to hear from SP as to whether his opinion has softened at all on the issue.
                          My position was never hard, and hasn't changed much I would prefer to see anyone who is smoking vaping but remain sceptical.

I have genuine concerns as to whether there will turn out to be evidence that vaping reduces the amount of smoking in the population.
                          The evidence for the safety of these unregulated products remains scant... just because they are less harmful than smoking does not mean they are safe.

Vaping is just another nicotine delivery system that mimics smoking but unlike nicotine gum, patches etc. which are proven to be useful tools in getting people off nicotine vaping reinforces the habit.
                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Yet again, what is wrong with nicotine that you want people to give it up?
                            Its akin to caffeine in the limited damage it does.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                              This time last year i completed C25K, albeit on a treadmill, still though, 33min jogging non stop was something i had never did...and since February have yet to do again...

If a fatso like me can do it, anybody can.

Must start again...
                              Rather handily there's a new running thread in the community section

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                My position was never hard, and hasn't changed much I would prefer to see anyone who is smoking vaping but remain sceptical.

I have genuine concerns as to whether there will turn out to be evidence that vaping reduces the amount of smoking in the population.
                                The evidence for the safety of these unregulated products remains scant... just because they are less harmful than smoking does not mean they are safe.

Vaping is just another nicotine delivery system that mimics smoking but unlike nicotine gum, patches etc. which are proven to be useful tools in getting people off nicotine vaping reinforces the habit.
                                If you saw the state of my mother two yrs ago you would understand better. 40 a day habit.

Hanging over bed at night coughing. Inhaler constant. Early stages of copd.

Two weeks vaping inhaler gone completely. One month later cough completely gone.

Walks absolutely everywhere now. Whereas when a smoker struggled to do so.

Vaping has 100% saved her life.

Vaping I would say has saved many lives to date.
                                Her sky-ness
                                © 5starpool

Comment

Right, better get off to the airport, hopefully I'll be safely touching down in Dublin in about 4 and a half hours. Lang may yer lum reek, as I am told they say in polite circles in Scotland.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                    Rather handily there's a new running thread in the community section
                                    Good luck with it BenniHifi, hope baby Rohan is doing well?. Still a big fella is he!?.

Comment

Two of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/KC-XTREME-t.../dp/B00TMG8Y8S (will be deffo taking some home with me)
                                      4 solphadine, fresh mint tea thingy with big huge leaves
                                      One valium.
                                      Concrete full of make up. Ready to rock

The amount of drink people are bringing into house is fucking shocking. Mainly vodka.

Anyhoo let the party begin and pray for michelle
                                      Her sky-ness
                                      © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

In related news, I had my first MDMA tablet this year. Just a small one. Enjoyed it thoroughly and had another, much higher dosage a few months later. I think my 2017 resolution is to do more drugs. I spent too much time being afraid of them.
                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

You are literally clueless on this topic and should really stop talking about it.
                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                            You are literally clueless on this topic and should really stop talking about it.
                                            Ah in fairness Lazare asked, and he responded. It's not like he's been going on about it.

Personally I'm kinda annoyed by the fact that I now hate the smell of cigarettes at much as most quitters of yore. That and also my caffeine habit now costs and effects my mood more than my nicotine one
                                            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

You are a true believer and your ott reactions to sensible questions and skepticism that in any other field you would welcome is quite telling.

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                If you saw the state of my mother two yrs ago you would understand better. 40 a day habit.

Hanging over bed at night coughing. Inhaler constant. Early stages of copd.

Two weeks vaping inhaler gone completely. One month later cough
                                                completely gone.

Walks absolutely everywhere now. Whereas when a smoker struggled to do so.

Vaping has 100% saved her life.

Vaping I would say has saved many lives to date.
                                                Seriously where did I even hint at anything that argues with this?

Its bizzare! I say one thing and the true believers hear something completely different react like I've said something awful.

Thats addiction for you I suppose.

I started this conversation by giving out about my nieces and nephews who 'Won't even switch to vaping'

Comment

You are a true believer and your ott reactions to sensible questions and skepticism that in any other field you would welcome is quite telling.
                                                  Its the MDMA talking.
                                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

Seriously where did I even hint at anything that argues with this?

Its bizzare! I say one thing and the true believers hear something completely different react like I've said something awful.

Thats addiction for you I suppose.

I started this conversation by giving out about my nieces and nephews who 'Won't even switch to vaping'
                                                    All I saw was skeptical and concerns..
                                                    I'm a woman only hear or see what I want lol
                                                    Not arguing with you at all.

Happy new yr ya grumpy fucker
                                                    Her sky-ness
                                                    © 5starpool

Comment

All I saw was skeptical and concerns..
                                                      I'm a woman only hear or see what I want lol
                                                      Not arguing with you at all.

Happy new yr ya grumpy fucker
                                                      Happy new year me arse but I hope lots more for all of ye.

Comment

acestream://42fe51591598d905ab011a9c8339150f8391dfa7
                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

our year
                                                          X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                          Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

He's bleedin bonkers..

Assume he is still going to tweet when he becomes Prez? Will be some craic when he begins to realise what the job actually entails.

He hasn't done a press conference for months. Terrified of open questioning. Do Prez have to do press or will he just tweet away?
                                                            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                              Assume he is still going to tweet when he becomes Prez? Will be some craic when he begins to realise what the job actually entails.

He hasn't done a press conference for months. Terrified of open questioning. Do Prez have to do press or will he just tweet away?
                                                              Did he not do one a few days ago. With Don King

Brought to you by Desert Diamond: http://ddcaz.comDonald Trump makes his major press conference at Mar-A-Lago since the November election. Promoter Don King ...
                                                              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

In related news, I had my first MDMA tablet this year. Just a small one. Enjoyed it thoroughly and had another, much higher dosage a few months later. I think my 2017 resolution is to do more drugs. I spent too much time being afraid of them.
                                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                                  Did he not do one a few days ago. With Don King

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEMIxS44Xxk
                                                                  I don't know what that^^ was but that wasn't no press conference.

Comment

He's bleedin bonkers..

h8ers gun h8 m8

X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                    Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Anyone got the link for that IPB preferred Chinese phone ? pls

Comment

Doesn't look like City will equalise...let alone win this...
                                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

Doesn't look like City will equalise...let alone win this...
                                                                          you were right

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                                                                            Good luck with it BenniHifi, hope baby Rohan is doing well?. Still a big fella is he!?.
                                                                            Thanks Rounders! He is doing great. Almost 14 months old now, running around the place and loving life.

He has me skint and knackered most of the time but he's well worth the investment.

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                                                                              you were right

Some curse...
                                                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

Looking forward to College football Washington v Alabana. 12.1 and 13.0 records.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDrunkenOne View Post
                                                                                  Looking forward to College football Washington v Alabana. 12.1 and 13.0 records.
                                                                                  kickoff now, great link here if anyone interested rather than squuezing in a bar for a drink http://hehestreams.xyz/vcs/533ee05eea7d5b66

Comment

Originally posted by nicnicnic View Post
                                                                                    Anyone got the link for that IPB preferred Chinese phone ? pls
                                                                                    I ordered the one that is configured to work on 4G outside Dublin and a couple of weeks after taking payment Gearbest finally said they couldn't supply it.

This is the link showing as oos but maybe you can find it elsewhere
                                                                                    Last edited by Strewelpeter; 31-12-16, 20:15.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDrunkenOne View Post
                                                                                      kickoff now, great link here if anyone interested rather than squuezing in a bar for a drink http://hehestreams.xyz/vcs/533ee05eea7d5b66
                                                                                      Ace stream. 5fc0cbeab657bf87a5fdb4eb3eba1154fd463de6
                                                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

NYE is set to commence in reasonable fashion, mainly thanks to strewel.
                                                                                        SPOILER

Have a good 2017, ya filthy carnivores. And Tar.

Sparing hotspur a thought this evening too.

Comment

Holy jesus Polish are nuts. Three litres of vodka drank between roughly 6 males. Not yet 11pm.
                                                                                          Good oul crack tbf

http://youtu.be/MB_jq42vdOQ
                                                                                          Her sky-ness
                                                                                          © 5starpool

Comment

Huskies QB needs to take an early shower, seems to be costing them big time.
                                                                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

NYE is set to commence in reasonable fashion, mainly thanks to strewel.
                                                                                              SPOILER

Have a good 2017, ya filthy carnivores. And Tar.

Sparing hotspur a thought this evening too.
                                                                                              Better be Jools for entertainment to make it near perfect.

Imelda and John Cooper Clarke
                                                                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

Holy jesus Polish are nuts. Three litres of vodka drank between roughly 6 males. Not yet 11pm.
                                                                                                Good oul crack tbf

http://youtu.be/MB_jq42vdOQ
                                                                                                Is 11sec girl your friend over there ? Yellow wrist band ?
                                                                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

No blonde girl agneskia, I called her. She's locked on whiskey
                                                                                                  😂
                                                                                                  Her sky-ness
                                                                                                  © 5starpool

Comment

Two of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/KC-XTREME-t.../dp/B00TMG8Y8S (will be deffo taking some home with me)
                                                                                                    4 solphadine, fresh mint tea thingy with big huge leaves
                                                                                                    One valium.
                                                                                                    Concrete full of make up. Ready to rock

The amount of drink people are bringing into house is fucking shocking. Mainly vodka.

Anyhoo let the party begin and pray for michelle
                                                                                                    Eh ease up on the partying sat...that's a lot.

Comment

No blonde girl agneskia, I called her. She's locked on whiskey
                                                                                                      😂
                                                                                                      Mrs Brown is off her tits on RTE1 here

Comment

My mate just got dumped on Christmass eve ....kinda justified imo though he wanted to spent it off playing with his mates instead of with her family. Feel sorry for him though (actually no i don't feel sorry for him he deserved it)....he was in work today. I don't think he was in love with her though. They will both be happier apart i think. Still I had high hopes for them i am an old romantic!
                                                                                                        Last edited by Guest; 31-12-16, 22:02.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

I don't drink. Honestly maybe twice a year I will have half a glass. I have seen what it does to people when i was young. It upset me so when my teen or twenty something mates where acting like it was the best thing ever i was like nope. It's possible I had an over reaction in that way that made me avoid it and the whole party scene. Plus being shy.

I never developed a taste for it.

It's weird i always get a dozen questions about it...you don't drink don't smoke no drugs ..goodie goodie two shoes.

Comment

Mrs Brown is off her tits on RTE1 here
                                                                                                            I have lost all respect for you.

Comment

Well done for getting everyone up to dance. They NEVER do for me

Comment

Happy New Year everyone.

Gonna say that to my mates right now :-)

Truly have a happy new year . :-)

Comment

I have lost all respect for you.
                                                                                                                  Oh, I'm reading a book. But if I want the warmth of the fire, I have to suffer for it.

Comment

Adam Ant - Goody two Shoes 1982With the heartbreak openSo much you can't hidePut on a little makeup makeupMake sure they get your good side good sideIf the w...
                                                                                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Oh, I'm reading a book. But if I want the warmth of the fire, I have to suffer for it.
                                                                                                                      Just saved

Comment

Just saved
                                                                                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

If I can top learning to fly, seeing McGregor Diaz II live and sipping €18 G&Ts on the terrace of the Hermitage overlooking Monte Carlo marina next year, I'll take it.

Best wishes y'all!

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X