This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    The mad thing was just how ambivalent other countries were about whether it was a bad thing when they thought it was just awful maltreatment of jews (as opposed to extermination).
    A lot of European countries weren't exactly breaking their backs to help them even when they knew exactly what had gone on either

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
        He's a thin skinned narcissist who only views the world through the prism of his own self-interest.
        Go on. Tell us about the people who aren't.
        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

no currency manipulation of IP theft needed to explain.
          Guess it's just the icing on the cake? Combined with lax environmental controls? A ton of steel made in China produces 4x the pollution of a ton made in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
            Go on. Tell us about the people who aren't.
            If you've never met them you've had a pretty shitty run of it
            You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
            World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

As we're somewhat on the subject anyone recommend some good books about WW2? I think HJ mentioned a good podcast about it before too - that ring any bells?

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                Planet Earth II starting on BBC now, should be worth a watch.
                I was cheering on the marine iguana vs the racer snakes like he was a race horse with bankroll on him.

go on lad.....Go On.......GO ON......GET UP THEM FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!
                Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                  Are you taking the piss or do you really believe that
                  You've just been watching too much CNN

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                      As we're somewhat on the subject anyone recommend some good books about WW2? I think HJ mentioned a good podcast about it before too - that ring any bells?
                      Savage continent-it's more about the immediate aftermath and it will give you nightmares

5/5: A Polish partisan (page 218, my book) “The Ukrainians in turn took their revenge by destroying a village of 500 Poles and torturing and killing all who fell in their hands. We responded by destroying two of their larger villages... This was how the fighting escalated. Each time more people were killed, more houses burnt, more women raped. Men become desensitised very quickly and kill as if they know nothing else.” Page 365 It was virtually impossible to emerge from the Second World War without enemies....virtually every person on the continent had suffered some kind of loss or injustice. ...

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                        Very few people knew about the extermination,
                        Define very few. What are you defining knew as ?
                        Knew for a fact the details of exactly what was going on where and when.

Everyone who mattered knew... everyone who tolerated

Nazi policy basically went from "kick them all out" (pre-war) to "steal their assets and use them as slave labour" (early war)
                        knew.

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                        You've just been watching too much CNN
                        I've not seen CNN in years, don't think I have it. I understand what he is and what he means.
                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

He's more Weiner than Hitler thats for sure

Comment

www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witold_Pilecki
                            Witold Pilecki (13 May 1901 – 25 May 1948; Polish pronunciation: [ˈvitɔlt piˈlɛt͡skʲi]; codenames Roman Jezierski, Tomasz Serafiński, Druh, Witold) was a Polish soldier, a rittmeister of the Polish Cavalry during the Second Polish Republic, the founder of the Secret Polish Army (Tajna Armia Polska) resistance group in German-occupied Poland in November 1939, and a member of the underground Home Army (Armia Krajowa), which was formed in February 1942. He was the author of Witold's Report, the first comprehensive Allied intelligence report on Auschwitz concentration camp and the Holocaust. He was Roman Catholic.[1]

During World War II, he volunteered for a Polish resistance operation to get imprisoned in the Auschwitz death camp in order to gather intelligence and escape. While in the camp, Pilecki organized a resistance movement and as early as 1941, informed the Western Allies of Nazi Germany's Auschwitz atrocities. He escaped from the camp in 1943 after nearly two and a half years of imprisonment. Pilecki took part in the Warsaw Uprising[2] in August 1944.[3] He remained loyal to the London-based Polish government-in-exile after the Soviet-backed communist takeover of Poland and was arrested in 1947 by the Stalinist secret police (Urząd Bezpieczeństwa) on charges of working for "foreign imperialism", thought to be a euphemism for MI6.[4] He was executed after a show trial in 1948. Until 1989, information about his exploits and fate was suppressed by the Polish communist regime.[4][5]

As a result of his efforts, he is considered as "one of the greatest wartime heroes".[3][6][7] In the foreword to the book The Auschwitz Volunteer: Beyond Bravery[8] Michael Schudrich, the Chief Rabbi of Poland, wrote as follows: "When God created the human being, God had in mind that we should all be like Captain Witold Pilecki, of blessed memory."[1] In the introduction to that book Norman Davies, a British historian, wrote: "If there was an Allied hero who deserved to be remembered and celebrated, this was a person with few peers."[1] At the commemoration event of International Holocaust Remembrance Day held in the US Holocaust Memorial Museum on 27 January 2013 Ryszard Schnepf, the Polish Ambassador to the US, described Pilecki as a "diamond among Poland's heroes" and "the highest example of Polish patriotism".[7][9]

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                              No. But close.

He's pro-Hispanics for Trump. Pro-Jews for Trump. Pro-African Americans for Trump. Pro-LGBT for Trump and Pro-USA for Trump.
                              It's only Clinton that makes that distinction between supporters and non supporters with her basket of deplorables, Trump is just pro-us citizen. It's her campaign that hired goons to incite violence at her opponents rallies.

Comment

One of the cameramen from blue planet is in ireland at the minute. Missed him in the spirit store last week but giving serious thought to making trip to carlow friday night to see him.
                                Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Not sure I get the overall point you are making.

Comment

Thought Denny was pro-bet not pro-Trump

Comment

Oh dear. The citizens of the most succesful country in recent human history are 'dumb'.

That makes us pretty much sub-human.
                                      A country's success is a product of it's best men, not average Joes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                        A country's success is a product of it's best men, not average Joes.
                                        Behind every good man is an even better woman m8

Comment

It's only Clinton that makes that distinction between supporters and non supporters with her basket of deplorables, Trump is just pro-us citizen. It's her campaign that hired goons to incite violence at her opponents rallies.
                                          you are playing a dangerous game

SPOILER

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Does anyone really believe that Trump has the best interests of US citizens at heart? Clearly the biggest ego trip of all time. Hard to believe it's gotten this far.

Comment

Originally posted by CHDog View Post
                                              Behind every good man is an even better woman m8
                                              Maybe in the movies

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                Maybe in the movies
                                                Women are batshit crazy. Today has convinced me to become a monk or a giraffe or something that doesn't have to deal with them. Skitzos.

Comment

Comment

Comment

It's too early to be in hospital, having surgery is bad enough. Goodbye arm metal today!

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                        Thought Denny was pro-bet not pro-Trump
                                                        I think he's deeply flawed, but comparing him to Hitler is lol bad

SPOILER

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                          Weiner kicking off on bbc4 (sky channel 211) at 9, well worth a watch
                                                          This was excellent. A fascinating car crash to watch.

It really hammers home the point that anyone who wants to get into politics isn't quite right in the head to begin with.
                                                          ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                            A lot of European countries weren't exactly breaking their backs to help them even when they knew exactly what had gone on either
                                                            well, most of them were occupied by the Nazis at the time...what exactly were they going to do?
                                                            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

SPOILER
                                                              FFS! have you lost your mind or are you playing a game of Oh yea I'm only trolling like in that Cartoon DP posted?

If I compare you to to Martin Shkreli it doesn't mean that you are Martin Shkreli or that you are going to kill people to scum off a few quid for yourself but it may well mean there are similarities in behaviour and attitude that are worth pointing out.

Comment

SPOILER
                                                                Aaahhh ya but what kind of fucktard puts I love Hispanics in a tweet like that!?

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                  This was excellent. A fascinating car crash to watch.

It really hammers home the point that anyone who wants to get into politics isn't quite right in the head to begin with.
                                                                  In fairness to Weiner the real villains of the piece are the media. I ended up feeling sorrier for the young wan they were dragging around NY than I did for even the wife!

Comment

Normal people don't go about everyday pointing out prejudices they don't posses.
                                                                    The fact that he felt the need to is pretty much confirmed racist.

Ps: Autocorrect tried to change racist to fascist. They are spying on the BBV

Comment

In fairness to Weiner the real villains of the piece are the media. I ended up feeling sorrier for the young wan they were dragging around NY than I did for even the wife!
                                                                      X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                      Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                                        Aaahhh ya but what kind of fucktard puts I love Hispanics in a tweet like that!?
                                                                        I think we all hope that the guy who made the Taco's in the Trump grill is a Chinese chef who has stolen the recipe and is now churning out the product at a faster rate than the Hispanics can manage.

I am surprised that you guys are arguing over who is the nicest to immigrants and non white US citiizens. Both will be pretty shitty to them so it depends on if you would prefer that the predictability of Hillary slowly beading the system to Donalds any day could be the day he slashes an artery but he might decide to go the other way instead.

Also what I think we miss over here is that Donald does say he hates illegals not legal immigrants. Legal Hispanics are actually very anti illegal immigration and whilst the illegals may protest and march they cannot actually vote so count for little else than PR.

It is a strange election but I do find the idea that Hillary will be throwing the doors open to welcome the poor and needy of all nations to jump on welfare and Obama care laughable, she will slam the door just as hard.

Comment

FFS! have you lost your mind or are you playing a game of Oh yea I'm only trolling like in that Cartoon DP posted?

If I compare you to to Martin Shkreli it doesn't mean that you are Martin Shkreli or that you are going to kill people to scum off a few quid for yourself but it may well mean there are similarities in behaviour and attitude that are worth pointing out.
                                                                          I think you need to get a grip if you think the similarities are that strong.

Comment

Comment

Bill burr had a good one about billy boy back in the Whitehouse with no job and nothing to do

Hillary will sack all the women and bill will be wheeled around like Anthony Hopkins dreaming of fava beans

Comment

...

Comment

Just can't get over the monstrousness of the French habit of leaving bones in fish they serve. Why would anyone want to sort out which bits of the fish in their mouths might stick in their throats - just take out the bones if they aren't meant to be eaten ffs.
                                                                                  Some fish are easy to fillet. Some are easy cook whole and eat off the bone.
                                                                                  Some people say fish tastes better cooked on th bone. But I'm not convinced it's anything like a beef/steak on the bone.

How are the snails and frogs legs?

Comment

Just think about this for a moment. Seriously. A man running for president of the United States and the enormous power it entails, and his aides have to take his FUCKING TWITTER away from him because he is so thin skinned and volatile. Unbelievable. Truly unbelievable.
                                                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

...

Comment

The main thing I learned from the above is that Cromwell could have massively improved his image among the Irish if he'd published a picture of himself eating Superquinn sausages.
                                                                                        Jaysus! You just reminded me!

Bought the best sausages of my life on Saturday from the organic butcher in Saint Annes. And they say nothing good ever came out of Carlow....
                                                                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Has anyone much experience on writing or reviewing personal statements for masters etc? I vaguely remember there was a discussion about them before?

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                              http://www.vox.com/2016/11/6/1354600...-twitter-obama

Just think about this for a moment. Seriously. A man running for president of the United States and the enormous power it entails, and his aides have to take his FUCKING TWITTER away from him because he is so thin skinned and volatile. Unbelievable. Truly unbelievable.
                                                                                              I would love to watch the first state visit to the UK with President Trump and Prince Philip going for dinner and hanging out. It could easily be the most inappropriate conversation that has taking place in world history.

Comment

...

Comment

I think you need to get a grip if you think the similarities are that strong.
                                                                                                  What, Between you and Martin or between the Donald and Benito or whoever

Comment

...

Comment

nah this just seems like lazy cooking - its the small bones that are left in that you can choke on, not the whole 'frame' of the fish. Colleagues said you should just chew carefully and feel around with your tongue for bones that need to be pulled out, but it really takes away from the enjoyment of the meal if you think it might damage you at any moment.
                                                                                                      Ah right I get you now. Yeah that's just plain lazy not to pinbone the fish.
                                                                                                      It annoys the shit out out of me too. With a whole fish, you expects bones, so you're watching for them. But if you get a fillet, you expect a fillet, and you munch away unawares.

Has some salmon from Aldi tonight, delicious

Comment

Comment

Jaysus! You just reminded me!

Bought the best sausages of my life on Saturday from the organic butcher in Saint Annes. And they say nothing good ever came out of Carlow....
                                                                                                          Is it still the grumpy looking old guy down there. he's actually a really nice guy but looks like he'd rather tell you to fuck off than serve you.

Heard frogs legs are a bit of a delicacy in the west of ireland - down around Kerry anyway. Think they're part of the standard 'tastes like chicken' family of foodstuffs.
                                                                                                          Had them a few times and although kinda obvious, they were too small and not enough meat on them. Defo up there with tasted like chicken for me

Comment

Was down around Liffey Street yesterday, haven't been there in about 5-6 weeks and only noticed that the Food Emporium is gone and it's now been replaced with a massive Dealz store

It's like reverse gentrification.

I wouldn't have eaten there very regularly but any time I was there, it was always busy, seems like an odd move?

Comment

The food in the Epicurean was pretty awful imo. And I rarely pay more for food than places there charged.

There are solid reasons people didn't eat there often.
                                                                                                              Last edited by Lord Sir Banter; 07-11-16, 13:58.

Comment

Heard frogs legs are a bit of a delicacy in the west of ireland - down around Kerry anyway. Think they're part of the standard 'tastes like chicken' family of foodstuffs.
                                                                                                                Maybe Keane or Dobby will argue otherwise but in all my years in Kerry I have never seen Frog's legs on the menu anywhere. I have also never heard anyone talk about having them or know of anyone who has eaten them but didn't talk about it.

Are you sure you aren't confusing them with Chicken wings

Comment

I'm still looking for Ireland Austria tickets by the way, so if anyone knows of 2/3 going that would be class.
                                                                                                                  Go big or go homeless.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

How can you contend that it's not cheap?

Comment

...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X