This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
    Welcome back, we thought you'd cashed in your chips.
    What's all this welcome back nonsense, I've always been here

Comment

I love how Jurgen Klingsman mock dive is still done today to celebate in football. Some of the guys doing it today probably have no idea as to it's origin . Probably my fav Spurs player ever.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
        All the same. I got my father to tie it for me at the start of each term and didnt break the knot for the rest of the term.
        I went through the whole of primary school not wearing a tie saying I didn't have one - because I didn't like wearing one.

Comment

I didn't have to wear a uniform in primary school, and in secondary school our uniforms had no ties. This meant that I had zero idea how to tie a tie, and my 'how hard could it be' approach meant that I ended up going to an interview tieless at one point as there was no one I could ask to help where I was. I made sure to learn soon after.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
            I went through the whole of primary school not wearing a tie saying I didn't have one - because I didn't like wearing one.
            Dont remeber my tie situation in primary, in secondary i ditched after a while but every now and then our vice principal would go on a rampage handing out detentions for no tie. He'd be talking to lads wearing tracksuit bottoms instead of the proper trousers but wouldnt notice as long as the tie was on. The next day hed punish lads for wearing tracksuit bottoms but wouldnt notice if there was a tie or not. Strange lad, awful cunt.
            airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
              I didn't have to wear a uniform in primary school, and in secondary school our uniforms had no ties. This meant that I had zero idea how to tie a tie, and my 'how hard could it be' approach meant that I ended up going to an interview tieless at one point as there was no one I could ask to help where I was. I made sure to learn soon after.
              So you never heard of Fox chasing the rabbit? Pity was a great story
              No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                So you never heard of Fox chasing the rabbit? Pity was a great story
                Only in hurling, and the opposite as well famously.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                  The story of those bastards blockading the temp accommodation of the family caught up in that Carrickmines fire has to be the most sickening thing I've heard in a while. There's a kid involved that has lost his entire family.

I really hope they're publicly shamed. Horrible bastards.
                  Its a tough one in fairness.
                  Many people who signed books of condolence and maybe laid wreaths still would not want a traveller encampment in there cul de sac.

It was a horribe tragedy for the familys and relatives and can only imagine the devastation and feelings of hurt seeing the blockade.

However if you were in that estate and you had your house for sale do you think having a traveller encampment nearby it would sell?
                  The same stuff with refugees welcome they have gone very quiet?
                  Its all grand people saying this but as long as its not in my back yard they dont give a hoot.
                  Id love to see some politician like the ones who turned up at the scene after the tragedy get the people moved into there posh cul de sacs or estates doubt it would happen wonder why?

Comment

Philistines. As soon as I was old enough to hold a tie my dad showed me how to tie a half-winsor knot. Although I only need to use that info about once a year.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                      Not all that big a quality difference between seeds and non seeds, no potential horror draw. My preference would be Hungary, Sweden, Bosnia, Ukraine.
                      Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                      I haven't looked at any of the pages but is it not
                      Ukraine
                      Bosnia
                      Denmark
                      Sweden?? Just going by previous rankings I saw
                      Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                      Ya I was thinking this. I thought I had read that Hungary were ranked below us in the coefficient league.
                      Sitch is correct

Euro 2016 Play-offs
                      Seeded teams

Sweden

Ukraine

Hungary

Bosnia-Herzegovina

Unseeded teams

Republic of Ireland

Norway

Denmark

Slovenia

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post

However if you were in that estate and you had your house for sale do you think having a traveller encampment nearby it would sell?
                        In this particular case the new encampment is about 200 yards down the road from the original unofficial halting site. It really is disgusting behaviour from the residents.

Comment

Originally posted by mcnugget View Post
                          In this particular case the new encampment is about 200 yards down the road from the original unofficial halting site. It really is disgusting behaviour from the residents.
                          Maybe the residents don't trust the government. The last site was supposed to be temporary was ten years there. The usc was supposed to be temporary. Can't see the family's ever wanting to live in the place where the fire was.

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                            Sitch is correct

Euro 2016 Play-offs
                            Seeded teams

Sweden

Ukraine

Hungary

Bosnia-Herzegovina

Unseeded teams

Republic of Ireland

Norway

Denmark

Slovenia
                            Damn! Was going by a list I saw a few days ago and thought we might actually move up too, bad news bears. Hungary, Sweden, Ukraine, Bosnia for me. I thought Denmark were 17th and Sweden were 20th, gutted about that!
                            I think we have a chance against all though! Sunday morning playoff draw of hungary then the rugby, good day all round hopefully.
                            Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by Kim Huybrechts View Post
                              Something is irking me here, who's that chap on here that makes the healthy chips. When you ask the customer do they want Salt and Vinegar, the salt goes on first right, I mean it's not called vinegar and salt. Fuxking place here in Wexford does it in reverse. Had to throw the damn chips in the bin on principle.
                              I recall reading that vinegar and then salt was the more accurate approach as the salt with wash off if the vinegar goes on after
                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                Quick heads up folks the Irish lad who will be on Shark Cage episode airs tonight at 12:15 on Channel 4 for those of you who still have an interest in poker.
                                Bump.
                                "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Just got my 1+2 in the post. looking forward to bricking it at the earliest opportunity.

@TylerD. RE the NAS thing. im not sure why you want another NAS. A mate of mine living in chile just downloads stuff from my NAS via DSVideo on his phone. He finds it great.

Do you want to stream it?

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
                                    Just got my 1+2 in the post. looking forward to bricking it at the earliest opportunity.

@TylerD. RE the NAS thing. im not sure why you want another NAS. A mate of mine living in chile just downloads stuff from my NAS via DSVideo on his phone. He finds it great.

Do you want to stream it?
                                    Have never really bothered with DS Video and use Plex mostly and let some friends use it but it's not always powerful enough to stream, can use my phone from time to time as it will stream but can't get any HD streams running through my laptop when travelling for work etc.

Comment

i tend not to stream stuff as most of the time the quality isnt great. But when have streamed it was a mix between HD and SD, and I stream to my phone/tablet. Never really tried to stream to my laptop, but I did try to stream to my work PC using the Diskology software a long time ago and it wasn't really successful.

I can only imagine that it's the software on you laptop that has to be good as all you're really doing is downloading with a buffer when your streaming.

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
                                        i tend not to stream stuff as most of the time the quality isnt great. But when have streamed it was a mix between HD and SD, and I stream to my phone/tablet. Never really tried to stream to my laptop, but I did try to stream to my work PC using the Diskology software a long time ago and it wasn't really successful.

I can only imagine that it's the software on you laptop that has to be good as all you're really doing is downloading with a buffer when your streaming.
                                        What I've learned is that you have to be able to transcode the files and my Synology isn't powerful enough to do so, more about the power of the cpu than ram.

Comment

sweeden for lols
                                          X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                          Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Yo newbie, got Plex setup on my desktop and I've just been running a few tests with my Mac tethered to my phone through 3 with a download of about 6mb, tried to stream from my NAS and got the "server is not powerful enough" but tried from my desktop and it's running pretty smooth so far, had to change the quality but then realised I could change the transcoding in Plex to "make my CPU hurt" so far so good, going to see if my friend can stream from it through Plex as a test tomorrow, lives a couple miles away from me.

1080p webdl tv episode playing fine & tried a 10gb movie and it seemed to be working fine also, not sure if I want my desktop on the go constantly as it can be noisey but started a thread in the other place and they linked to a little pc server that could knocked together, something like that would be pretty sweet.

Comment

This is pretty decent.

When Dana White took over the UFC in 2001, one of the new UFC President’s first tasks was to scour the MMA backwaters searching for undiscovered talent to si...

When Dana White took over the UFC in 2001, one of the new UFC President’s first tasks was to scour the MMA backwaters searching for undiscovered talent to sign to the UFC. White hasn’t scouted talent in person for over a decade - but with childhood friend Nick “The Tooth” and the irrepressible Matt Serra in tow - Dana hits the road once again in search of potential UFC superstars. This is the pilot episode “Dana White: Looking for a Fight.”

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Business View Post
                                                sweeden for lols
                                                ...It would be a good away leg for sure...Blonde women everywhere, I'd have so many late nights wanks thinning what could have been...

Comment

I have not linked a tweet before and it does not seem to be working, oops

Ah sure click it instead
                                                  Go big or go homeless.

Comment

What's a good/the best time to go running? As in first thing in the morning, before a meal, after a meal. That kinda stuff
                                                    Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                                      What's a good/the best time to go running? As in first thing in the morning, before a meal, after a meal. That kinda stuff
                                                      Before a meal, the excrercise increases adrenalin and as a result increases your metabolism so for weight loss first thing in the morning is the best.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Comment

For a heart attack, first thing in the morning.

Comment

Good piece here in the IT about rote-learning and how it kills student's abilities to actually think.

Knowledge is not the mere memory of facts but the comprehension of their meaning in the story of nature
                                                          Will be of interest to zuutroy & Hitch and any other scientists / educators .

I was booted out of my LC honours Irish class (the only one in our year) for refusing to learn the essays off by heart that our teacher had written on our behalf. I argued repeatedly (outside of classroom hours!) that I wasn't aiming to use Irish as a 'points subject' and was happier to learn the language to a higher standard instead of learning the answers to the test. She had none of it, and I got kicked out for being insubordinate. Dropped to ordinary level and used the classroom time to study other subjects instead (A1 at ordinary level).

I understand that that exam pass/fail rates are the metric that we examine teachers under, but people have lost sight of what those exams are supposed to be testing! The test becomes the goal, not the education.
                                                          Last edited by Emmet; 14-10-15, 09:24.

Comment

Have a look at the HP microserver thread in the Bargain alerts forum on boards Danny. Set it up for WOL and you can turn it on over internet from your phone when you are about to use it.
                                                            Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                            https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Originally posted by mcnugget View Post
                                                              Have to say I'm with sickpuppy on this one. I know the area involved and its a big difference from where the site was to where the new one is being considered.

While it sounds absolutely heartless from the people involved, if there wasn't a fire and they were blockading the estate to stop a halting site, nobody would bat an eyelid.

Can you honestly say mcnugget that you would have no problem if you lived in a quiet cul de sac and a halting site was planned for the end of it? How would others feel about it (honesty required here)?

Comment

1.5 billion 'giveaway' divided by 4.5m inhabitants (ignoring that many don't need an increase) = an average of 333e per person in the country.
                                                                I'll be getting: 40 quid. Bit hard done by there - time to form a voting block.

Anyhow, all this calling elections and shite, the government should have a set term, they should also probably have nothing do to with deciding the vote buying finances of the country.

Comment

1.5 billion 'giveaway' divided by 4.5m inhabitants (ignoring that many don't need an increase) = an average of 333e per person in the country.

Anyhow, all this calling elections and shite, the government should have a set term, they should also probably have nothing do to with deciding the vote buying finances of the country.
                                                                  Can you imagine how terrible it would be if we did elections now, before the finances were organised, voting in the party who's budget we wanted implemented?

Free money for all! Realism for none.

Comment

There was a traveller settlement quite close to where I grew up and they were easily the biggest group of thieving, cretinous, un law abiding c*nts you could ever share a neighbourhood with. I've also met some really nice ones and while you try not to tar everyone with the same brush there's such a significant proportion of troublemakers among them that the attitude towards them is most definitely understandable.
                                                                    Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                      Can you imagine how terrible it would be if we did elections now, before the finances were organised, voting in the party who's budget we wanted implemented?

Free money for all! Realism for none.
                                                                      Yea but I said they shouldn't actually control the budgets at all.

Comment

I was booted out of my LC honours Irish class (the only one in our year) for refusing to learn the essays off my heart that our teacher had written on our behalf. I argued repeatedly (outside of classroom hours!) that I wasn't aiming to use Irish as a 'points subject' and was happier to learn the language to a higher standard instead of learning the answers to the test. She had none of it, and I got kicked out for being insubordinate. Dropped to ordinary level and used the classroom time to study other subjects instead (A1 at ordinary level).

I understand that that exam pass/fail rates are the metric that we examine teachers under, but people have lost sight of what those exams are supposed to be testing! The test becomes the goal, not the education.
                                                                        That makes me very mad, especially in Irish.

The word education is from the latin Educo meaning to draw out.
                                                                        Instead we now force the worst excesses of Gradgrindian schooling on secondary school students.
                                                                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Yea but I said they shouldn't actually control the budgets at all.
                                                                          That's novel. Who controls the finances then, an unelected background cabal?

Comment

Good piece here in the IT about rote-learning and how it kills student's abilities to actually think.

I was booted out of my LC honours Irish class (the only one in our year) for refusing to learn the essays off my heart that our teacher had written on our behalf. I argued repeatedly (outside of classroom hours!) that I wasn't aiming to use Irish as a 'points subject' and was happier to learn the language to a higher standard instead of learning the answers to the test. She had none of it, and I got kicked out for being insubordinate. Dropped to ordinary level and used the classroom time to study other subjects instead (A1 at ordinary level).

We do inquiry based learning labs for all of the first years and by and large they hate them. Probably because they are so used to being spoon fed.
                                                                            The two main problems with the whole 'flipped classroom' approach which takes the emphasis away from rote learning are that firstly it's a massive time investment for the lecturer who would have to completely redesign the course. New courses using conventional notes typically take about 10 hours per contact hour to construct, I'd imagine it's far more for a new approach. In our universities teaching is a secondary duty and most would see it as a chore that gets in the way of research. Research output is what really beefs up an academic CV and there aren't that many people focused on improving their teaching.
                                                                            Secondly, the vast majority of students don't give a shit. They just want to know what's going to be on the exam, study the past papers, spew out what little they know onto the page, get their degree because it will help them get a job.

Comment

Isn't that what we currently have.

Comment

a bit like the dept of finance and the ECB?

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                  a bit like the dept of finance and the ECB?
                                                                                  Not relevant at all, theres still massive scope for any government to do what they want financially, only limited by the overall 'income' of the country and the borrowing rules of the ECB.
                                                                                  But that still allows the government to decide where and how to tax, where to spend, whether the health department is more deserving than the education department, whether we build metros or roads, do we subsidise childcare at the expense of the arts and sports.
                                                                                  ECB don't really care so long as the bottom line is good.
                                                                                  LSB is suggesting (I think) that a government shouldn't have the right to decide these things.

Comment

Not relevant at all, theres still massive scope for any government to do what they want financially, only limited by the overall 'income' of the country and the borrowing rules of the ECB.
                                                                                    But that still allows the government to decide where and how to tax, where to spend, whether the health department is more deserving than the education department, whether we build metros or roads, do we subsidise childcare at the expense of the arts and sports.
                                                                                    ECB don't really care so long as the bottom line is good.
                                                                                    LSB is suggesting (I think) that a government shouldn't have the right to decide these things.
                                                                                    Obv the govt should decide - running the countries finances is basically running the country. If they don't control this then they are basically a bunch of muppets pretending to be important while debating moral issues and looking down their noses on the rest of the population ie the Senate.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                                      Scrap school uniforms altogether and save everyone a fortune.
                                                                                      Hmmm, not sure about this one. We had no uniform in secondary and the whole experience turned into a fashion show. Reasoning behind it was to aid us express our individuality. Worked well until circa 1994 when the unofficial uniform became jeans or combats, a combat jacket and either a Nirvana or Pearl Jam T-Shirt.

Winter attire was as above with an itchy fishermans jumper. Individuality indeed. We looked like a brigade of the IRA youth.

Comment

Great bants on Sky 1 from some Dundalk freewoman insisting she 'knows her rights' and that they can't seize her car.
                                                                                        She was so naive! I read X Y Z from some random on the internet therefore I know the law better then you. Best was when she called the Garda did she expect the Garda to side with her over the customs officials??

Then the waterworks I can't afford it... your driving a brand new BMW which you willing admit you tried to avoid paying VRT on. No one will feel sorry for you.

Comment

No problem with them being more involved with moral issues and not wholly in charge of money alone. It's fairly stupid that people in power can use money to remain in power at the detriment of the country. Because they can do this, it actually stops shit getting done for good reasons. Now somebody else work out how this will all work, cheers.

I was booted out of my LC honours Irish class (the only one in our year) for refusing to learn the essays off by heart that our teacher had written on our behalf. I argued repeatedly (outside of classroom hours!) that I wasn't aiming to use Irish as a 'points subject' and was happier to learn the language to a higher standard instead of learning the answers to the test. She had none of it, and I got kicked out for being insubordinate. Dropped to ordinary level and used the classroom time to study other subjects instead (A1 at ordinary level).

Yeah our education system is actually terrible for this, it's so bad. Go to a proper university in another country where they actually learned how to learn and not just to learn by rote and it's completely different. Here it's morte like a running joke of how shite everybody in the class is, and how everybody is "fucked for the exam". This makes doing courses in another country much harder, their degrees and masters make ours look like the JC imo.

Comment

Originally posted by iSnow View Post
                                                                                            Hmmm, not sure about this one. We had no uniform in secondary and the whole experience turned into a fashion show. Reasoning behind it was to aid us express our individuality. Worked well until circa 1994 when the unofficial uniform became jeans or combats, a combat jacket and either a Nirvana or Pearl Jam T-Shirt.

Winter attire was as above with an itchy fishermans jumper. Individuality indeed. We looked like a brigade of the IRA youth.
                                                                                            The whole of Europe bar UK and Ireland don't wear uniforms. Most kids turn out fine. The cliquey "must have the most expensive clothes" brigade are easily spotted and best avoided.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                              The attitude many people have in this country to people who were born travellers is a disgrace imo. Often tolerated on here too.

Btw very powerful story in Donal Ryan's new book of short stories about the first time a little girl who is a traveller experiences this.
                                                                                              I think you must learn to distinguish between a traveller and a knacker.

Travellers are traditionally a nomadic ethnic minority, who separated from the settled Irish community at least 1000 years ago. A Traveller or itinerant is "a person who has no fixed place of abode and habitually wanders from place to place".

A knacker is completely different.

I can only go on my personal experience but in the past they have robbed antiques from me, tried to mug me as a teen, stolen numerous bikes (all recovered), tried to mug me as an adult, tried numerous scams including fake currency, waste removal, and driveway tarmac scams. Terrified both myself and members of my family when a brawl broke out after a memorial mass in local cemetery. Attempted extortion, pushing drugs in the area etc.

I'm all for traveller equality but I've learned to distinguish between travellers and knackers long ago. If knackers want to be accepted in our society then they must adhere to societies rules.

Comment

The Apprentice starts up again tonight. No Nick Hewer, Claude takes his place.

Comment

How did you only get €40?

I can't actually think of any combination of circumstances where the Budget would benefit you so slightly.
                                                                                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by iSnow View Post
                                                                                                    I think you must learn to distinguish between a traveller and a knacker.

Travellers are traditionally a nomadic ethnic minority, who separated from the settled Irish community at least 1000 years ago. A Traveller or itinerant is "a person who has no fixed place of abode and habitually wanders from place to place".

A knacker is completely different.

I can only go on my personal experience but in the past they have robbed antiques from me, tried to mug me as a teen, stolen numerous bikes (all recovered), tried to mug me as an adult, tried numerous scams including fake currency, waste removal, and driveway tarmac scams. Terrified both myself and members of my family when a brawl broke out after a memorial mass in local cemetery. Attempted extortion, pushing drugs in the area etc.

I'm all for traveller equality but I've learned to distinguish between travellers and knackers long ago. If knackers want to be accepted in our society then they must adhere to societies rules.
                                                                                                    Do I really need to learn?

Is it wrong that I wouldn't want to live beside a halting site?

Can I decide that I don't really want to hang out with and interact with Travelers because I find them as a whole group dishonest, violent and poorly educated?

Does this make me racist, intolerant and a complete animal?

The answers in my head to all these questions is no but there are many who would say that I should be answering yes.

I don't like the idea of anyone burning to death and was really happy when I heard that it wasn't a fire set to burn them out. Making everyone who doesn't want to live beside a halting site out to be a total fucker based on an unrelated tragedy is really making a huge jump. People are making out that those protesting the site location were cheering the fire as kids burned. It is completely not true.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                      How did you only get €40?

I can't actually think of any combination of circumstances where the Budget would benefit you so slightly.
                                                                                                      People with kids get all the goodies innit.
                                                                                                      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

People with kids get all the goodies innit.
                                                                                                        Sounds fair to me. My kids got a 5 euro p/m raise each.

Comment

Are we expecting the ireland arg game to sell out? I have 2 cat A tickets which have been up for resale since thursday and i saw today they just released more tickets back for sale for it

Comment

Waterford Whispers was good. Something like

Session on. Mickey money to increase by 5 cans of Dutch Gold per child.

Comment

Cunce. What's so great about em? They can't even work and we're handing them raises. Parasites the lot.
                                                                                                              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
                                                                                                                Are we expecting the ireland arg game to sell out? I have 2 cat A tickets which have been up for resale since thursday and i saw today they just released more tickets back for sale for it
                                                                                                                nope

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                                                                  Can I decide that I don't really want to hang out with and interact with Travelers because I find them as a whole group dishonest, violent and poorly educated?
                                                                                                                  .
                                                                                                                  Does this make me racist?
                                                                                                                  probably
                                                                                                                  Does this make me intolerant ?
                                                                                                                  yes
                                                                                                                  Does this make me a complete animal?
                                                                                                                  Depends on what you mean by a complete animal, sure we're all animals! You are by your own admission judging all people from one group of society based on your perception of some of those people. That is an unreasonable and fundamentally ignorant position.

This is a tired old debate but the important points to note today are:
                                                                                                                  Travellers are Irish citizens, and deserve the same rights and responsibilities as the rest of society.
                                                                                                                  South County Dublin and DLR have been particularly bad in providing halting sites in recent years.
                                                                                                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Cunce. What's so great about em? They can't even work and we're handing them raises. Parasites the lot.
                                                                                                                    Now that patracide has become so much more profitable with the big tax break parents of the land are basically paying protection money to their kids I imagine. Child benifit helps fill the gap.

Comment

Was just thinking your proposed voucher scheme would be perfect for the Chizzlers' Allowance. Sure you can have free money for procreating, but you can only spend it on books/clothes/food/medicine/etc.

Comment

Who are ya tellin'

Comment

Got a call from courier to say they left a parcel in my porch.

98% sure its my OP2. Think i read I will need a new sim? Nano vs Micro is that right?

Also easiest way to back everything up on my OPO? Sorry noob question I know.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X