This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
    Rounders, your lad still rules Damascus Gate with a rod of iron. Asked him for coffee, he said no and we could have herbal tea instead.
    haha still there is he. No compromise with his principles you have to admire that.

Comment

Met census lady. She said just fill out my bit and leave it there for the rest to fill out if they want. Doesn't have to be done on the 24th apparently. Can be done any time now I have the form, or so she said anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
        All mine are school age, eldest doing her junior cert this year, middle in 1st year and youngest in second class. At your little ones age I totally agree but teachers play the biggest part.
        And what they say is gospel and no convincing said child parents know too lol.

Getting the right school is really important, one with good teachers. Whatever the religion. If the teachers are crap then what they teach will be too. I moved to a certain catchment to get my kids into the primary school they attended.
        I see what you are saying but who is responsible for 'getting the right school'? You, the parent.

From my experience the single most important thing in education is expectation. That is something which will not be instilled by a teacher in the vast majority of cases.

For example, a few years ago I was helping a student from a disadvantaged area with his English in a learning support capacity. It was coming to crunch time with exams and both his mainsteam teacher and I were in agreement that he was able for higher level. He had the natural ability. However he wasn't bothered pushing himself and when i asked him to talk it over with his parents he said 'they don't give a fuck they tell me to do whatever I want'.

Education starts at home. Simple as. And it is about a lot more than academics.
        Last edited by shano1888; 05-04-16, 18:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
          2 slices of plain toast. First thing i've eaten since 4pm Sunday. Hoping these don't come straight back out.
          Should have known better than to post. Lasted 90 mins, then i sneezed, stupid sphincter yokie.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
            AJ wrong shocker

Not this.

It is supposed to be a snapshot of who stays in each premises on the particular night.
            If you stay in a hotel you get counted there, if you spend the night at Denny's houseparty you get counted there and if you are out of the country you do not get counted.
            Meh, I know officially you aren't supposed to fill it in if you are out of the country but it seems nonsense. Like they want to know how many people live in Ireland, yeah? And at a smaller level they want an age breakdown, and how many use public transport or speak the language etc. So why does being out of the country on that weekend make your data any less relevant?

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
              Meh, I know officially you aren't supposed to fill it in if you are out of the country but it seems nonsense. Like they want to know how many people live in Ireland, yeah? And at a smaller level they want an age breakdown, and how many use public transport or speak the language etc. So why does being out of the country on that weekend make your data any less relevant?
              We all lose one now and then m8 chin up.
              airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                Bayern, Barca, Boro treble enhanced to 3/1 from 15/8 on PP for tonights interest
                z game

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                  z game
                  I went to do that like 2 minutes after you posted and it was suspended
                  Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Filled out the census thing there. Not as bad as I thought it would be. I thought there would be a lot more questions and more detail required. Put down Islam as my religion for lols. Only joking SP. Ticked no religion obv

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                        Guy on Reddit started breeding spiders to kill more dangerous spiders on his property, there are hundreds of this spiders ripping up black widows and shit. Australia, not even once.
                        Possibly Huntsman spiders? Suitably named in this case. But they are big fuckers, so maybe they are the desired targets themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                          I'm sending my daughter to a school that doesn't tell her she's superior or different to others.
                          Doesn't tell her there's eternal reward and eternal punishment.
                          Doesn't teach her to respect an organisation that made slaves of innocent women and sold, raped or neglected to death their children.
                          Teaches her to love and respect her fellow human regardless of how they were born.
                          Teaches her the truth about how the world around her came to exist.
                          Teaches her to pass that knowledge and respect on to her children.
                          Is that sort of stuff still going on?
                          I know that the christian brothers, holy penguin type schools, in the past hammered in a god fearing mentality via Fr Jack types. But assumed that that stuff was long out of fashion.

I went to a state primary school, aka Catholic based. Maybe it wasn't the normal, as a newer (probably slightly progressive) school in Dublin. The only noticeable effect I can recall was that we wasted a bit of time in 2nd and 6th classes for communion/confirmation. The two proddy girls in the class had the best of it, free period once a week during religion normally, but they took the piss those two years.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                            Ah AJ, previously infallible!

Got blocked on Twitter by a Sindo journalist who thought he found a hidden Irish billionaire.
                            Was that the guy pimping some kind of energy company at the weekend. "They don't teach nanotechnology in universities" it stunk
                            Just 13 years ago, engineer and serial entrepreneur John Quinn was broke and €700,000 in debt, without a job or a car, after the failure of Xonen Technologies, his hi-tech optical disc business based outside Knock.
                            Last edited by Guest; 06-04-16, 00:36.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                  Is that sort of stuff still going on?
                                  I know that the christian brothers, holy penguin type schools, in the past hammered in a god fearing mentality via Fr Jack types. But assumed that that stuff was long out of fashion.

I went to a state primary school, aka Catholic based. Maybe it wasn't the normal, as a newer (probably slightly progressive) school in Dublin. The only noticeable effect I can recall was that we wasted a bit of time in 2nd and 6th classes for communion/confirmation. The two proddy girls in the class had the best of it, free period once a week during religion normally, but they took the piss those two years.
                                  This has been touted to me as a serious reason to get christened.
                                  mind boggling
                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

The Dublin West TD says she represents an “alternative to the failed policies of the 1%”.

Ruth Coppinger will become the first woman nominated for Taoiseach
                                    Coppinger said it is “fitting” she is the first woman to stand for the position at a time when the country is dealing with “the feminisation of poverty” due to cutbacks, and calls for the Eighth Amendment to be repealed.
                                    well good morning
                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

I'll come back to hat when I have 45mins free.
                                      I had a quick scan of the first page. I assume this was a recent fetish fix with camera and all sorts. Had a good lol to think of him up in the attic doing it in person. Man cunt.

Comment

that was good.
                                        SPOILER
                                        wonder how much of it was in his head?

Comment

One day left to enter the Aintree Topping Comp

€1200 up for grabs
                                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Comment

Comment

Remember the Protestant kid in school getting asked to stand out in the hallway during religion class. Simpler classier times.
                                                We had a Muslim from Pakistan. Used to sit in the school hall on his own for the half an hour.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                    Was that the guy pimping some kind of energy company at the weekend. "They don't teach nanotechnology in universities" it stunk
                                                    http://m.independent.ie/business/iri...-34593194.html
                                                    Rings every alarm bell going but Padraig McManus would not be someone who falls easily for snake oil
                                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                      http://m.independent.ie/business/iri...-34593194.html
                                                      Hmmm...Am in that very field of research and the chances that someone has mysteriously found something that jumps things 10 years ahead are almost zero. The whole thing is iterative in the tiniest amounts possible.

4x more efficient than solar, so like 80% efficient. Yea, no.

Comment

Mad to be at a place where the nomination is Cruz's to lose now
                                                        All Cruz does is block Trump. Brokered convention opens it right up again as far as I can make out. Ryan and Rubio much better value in the market now than Trump, even RDIII's Walker dockets shouldn't be torn up yet.
                                                        They were late getting around to it but now the only thing that is on the Republican't agenda is stopping Trump and trying to salvage a position that holds some sort of leverage over Hillary.

Comment

Just been reading this whole school/religion crap over the last couple of days and have to say...

How many of you lot had a communion and confirmation and gladly took the loots from the family for it?

Did religion bother you in school THAT much that you have this hare for it? did it do you any harm?

I went to a non denom school in Scotland, Religion was not really talked about in primary school, we just went to school to learn what you are meant to learn. We had catholics, protestants and Muslims in the class, we all played, we all mixed and I couldn't tell you who was catholic or protestant straight off the bat as it was not discussed, only Ferouk was the obvious one

We didn't do communions or anything like that, if you wanted that stuff the kids got sent to the dedicated catholic school in the area. We went to school to Learn, end of.

In secondary one of my favourite teachers was Mr Jack the RE teacher, he retired last week, great guy and great fun. He taught about all religions and I thoroughly enjoyed his lessons. Loads of us are still in touch with him to this day.

So.. you wont send your kid to a school that's catholic like you went to because you want to shove YOUR Atheism down their throat? to me it is just as bad as shoving Catholicism down their throats to be honest.

All my kids will be doing communion/confirmation. I never did these myself but the kids enjoy the dressing up, the meals and the loots. My eldest is not interested in going to church, she is not wanting to be a nun and she has not been damaged at all with my decision to let her do these things.

I think if you choose a lesser school because of religion you are being selfish as it is about the education of the child. They will make their own mind up about religion once they get old enough. The way we did...

I am not an atheist, I am not a practising catholic, apart from being baptised and married there I have no real love for the catholic church. I do however have beliefs and I don't give one fuck what all you so called atheists say as I am sure there are some here bleating about it when in fact you secretly have your wee trips to the church. I wont be made to feel stupid about having any sort of belief.

Anyway, have a lovely day

Comment

Comment

Comment

How do you shove Atheism down a kid's throat?

It's the null hypothesis, it only seems to not be given the vast normality of indoctrination.

Do you also shove A-Faerisim down your kid's throat? Or A-EasterBunnyIsm?

Comment

Comment

Comment

Huh? The state forces religion on kids through the school admission system. It's not about forcing athesism on anyone (as admirable a goal as that is), but rather saying that believing in fairy tales shouldn't be the basis for whether you can get access to your constitutional right to education.
                                                                      My friend who is Hungarian sends her kids to a Catholic school. He doesn't do communion nor anything. He has never been baptised in Catholic church either. So maybe it's not all Ireland. So your point is invalid here no fairy tale required at illistrin school and others round where I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                        No need for popcorn. I said my bit .I'm off for the day and don't give one iota about the backlash. Imagine me having a different opinion!!!

Enjoy fighting everyone lol

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 06-04-16, 08:49. Reason: Pyrrhic is a bitch to spell

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                            How do you shove Atheism down a kid's throat?

It's the null hypothesis, it only seems to not be given the vast normality of indoctrination.

Do you also shove A-Faerisim down your kid's throat? Or A-EasterBunnyIsm?
                                                                            Do we (we as in us who don't believe) not discuss agnosticism with our kids rather than atheism?

i tell my children that i don't believe in God but i don't tell them "there is no god", they can make their own minds up.

Comment

There is no Santa , no god but there deffo is an Easter Bunny . She danced for me for 50 euros.

Comment

...

Comment

People use atheism and agnosticism pretty interchangeably even though they don't quite mean the same thing.*

Agnosticism is the position I was actually referring to above, though would be quite confident that that's the position that MrsFD was discussing too.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                    Think of how rich the country will be when she nationalises google, facebook, twitter and all the rest of the multinational tech companies.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                                      Think of how rich the country will be when she nationalises google, facebook, twitter and all the rest of the multinational tech companies.
                                                                                      The rest of the country will have emigrated so as to avoid listening to her.
                                                                                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                        I'm sending my daughter to a school that doesn't tell her she's superior or different to others.
                                                                                        Doesn't tell her there's eternal reward and eternal punishment.
                                                                                        Doesn't teach her to respect an organisation that made slaves of innocent women and sold, raped or neglected to death their children.
                                                                                        Teaches her to love and respect her fellow human regardless of how they were born.
                                                                                        Teaches her the truth about how the world around her came to exist.
                                                                                        Teaches her to pass that knowledge and respect on to her children.

Fuck it if she doesn't become a fucking accountant.

Selfish.
                                                                                        Conor,

While I 100% agree that a child's religion should not matter for acceptance to school's I think your attitude is wrong. You are taking a stand that in the bigger picture means nothing and it sounds like you will do that to the detriment of your child's education. I think that is wrong.

I went to a "catholic" school. I do not believe in God, I am in no way religious. I got a great education.

If you had a choice where you knew a catholic school would give your daughter a 10% better education than the non religious school you are sending her to, would you still choose the non religious?

If your answer is yes you need to have a chat with yourself and get off your high horse. Education is the most important thing you provide for your kids IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                                          She lives 10 or 12 doors up from me, so presumably if she gets the Taoiseach gig there will be increased garda patrols in the area and 24 hour security on the road.
                                                                                          Good result for me then, albeit ignoring the whole driving the multinationals out and rebankrupting the country thing.

Comment

Fuck skool. I was suspended once a month and more or less expelled in the end.

Now I'm making loadsa dosh, hallelujah praise the invisible lord
                                                                                            Her sky-ness
                                                                                            © 5starpool

Comment

We are cosmological retards and don't know what's going on. End of religion debate.

Comment

Just been reading this whole school/religion crap over the last couple of days and have to say...

How many of you lot had a communion and confirmation and gladly took the loots from the family for it?

Did religion bother you in school THAT much that you have this hare for it? did it do you any harm?

I went to a non denom school in Scotland, Religion was not really talked about in primary school, we just went to school to learn what you are meant to learn. We had catholics, protestants and Muslims in the class, we all played, we all mixed and I couldn't tell you who was catholic or protestant straight off the bat as it was not discussed, only Ferouk was the obvious one

We didn't do communions or anything like that, if you wanted that stuff the kids got sent to the dedicated catholic school in the area. We went to school to Learn, end of.

In secondary one of my favourite teachers was Mr Jack the RE teacher, he retired last week, great guy and great fun. He taught about all religions and I thoroughly enjoyed his lessons. Loads of us are still in touch with him to this day.

So.. you wont send your kid to a school that's catholic like you went to because you want to shove YOUR Atheism down their throat? to me it is just as bad as shoving Catholicism down their throats to be honest.

All my kids will be doing communion/confirmation. I never did these myself but the kids enjoy the dressing up, the meals and the loots. My eldest is not interested in going to church, she is not wanting to be a nun and she has not been damaged at all with my decision to let her do these things.

I think if you choose a lesser school because of religion you are being selfish as it is about the education of the child. They will make their own mind up about religion once they get old enough. The way we did...

I am not an atheist, I am not a practising catholic, apart from being baptised and married there I have no real love for the catholic church. I do however have beliefs and I don't give one fuck what all you so called atheists say as I am sure there are some here bleating about it when in fact you secretly have your wee trips to the church. I wont be made to feel stupid about having any sort of belief.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                  She lives 10 or 12 doors up from me, so presumably if she gets the Taoiseach gig there will be increased garda patrols in the area and 24 hour security on the road.
                                                                                                  Good result for me then, albeit ignoring the whole driving the multinationals out and rebankrupting the country thing.
                                                                                                  socialists have a long history of aggressive police policy indeed.

Comment

did it do you any harm?
                                                                                                    Religion does a ton of harm, MrsF. It makes people think in stupid ways, which makes them make bad decisions, which makes their lives worse.
                                                                                                    "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Ugh I hate cars
                                                                                                      Last car I bought was a C5 I bought at 18 months old with 60K on the clock and I've put over 300K on it over 10 years. Been very happy with it except for a few expensive repairs along the way. My mechanic who in the end I will probably defer to is pushing me away from getting another C5 which would have been my default position.

That really opened up the options so I've decided to take my time figuring out what I want and how much to spend. Initially have decided to rule nothing in or out - the only things that are on the list are that it must have cruise control and a radio with LW and an Aux audio socket.
                                                                                                      Two days in and I'm mithered looking at whats available!
                                                                                                      Already leaning towards spending as little as possible. I thought I was open to a smaller car and every time I look at something like a Focus or an Auris I am finding it difficult to imagine myself driving one... no idea why
                                                                                                      Now I'm looking at a ridiculous range of things from

This Electric (not really going to work for me but maybe I'd try it for a while and if it doesn't work for me it would deffo have other uses at home).
                                                                                                      A well looked after 04 Saab with a LPG conversion
                                                                                                      There are loads of options in the mid range diesels passats, insignia and Octavias etc. and the price points look to be fairly well set which brings a couple of questions:

Miles or years ? I.e. Which is generally the better option A 12 Mondeo with high miles or a 09 one with low miles
                                                                                                      How much more expensive would a barge like this be to run for 25K Km a year over a 1.6 - 1.9 diesel?

Dealer or a private sale? I have a good mechanic to look any car over ?

If I was to go for newer car is there any advantage at all in paying 30 for a brand new one when the same car is available for 20 at one year with warranty but will take 5 years and 80K Km to lose the next 10K of value?

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                                                                                                        Republican Nomination

How does this work in simple terms? Trump obv wins a lot of states, huge fav, etc but can he still be overturned at the republican convention?
                                                                                                        I asked this some time back because a relative in the states told me that Paul Ryan would get the nomination at convention in order to block Trump. He was 100/1 at the time for the nomination and I stupidly didn't put a cent on it. Now 10/1 for it. I'll cry if he gets it

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                                                          Religion does a ton of harm, MrsF. It makes people think in stupid ways, which makes them make bad decisions, which makes their lives worse.
                                                                                                          And the other side of the coin... Does it do any good?
                                                                                                          No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                            Ugh I hate cars
                                                                                                            Last car I bought was a C5 I bought at 18 months old with 60K on the clock and I've put over 300K on it over 10 years. Been very happy with it except for a few expensive repairs along the way. My mechanic who in the end I will probably defer to is pushing me away from getting another C5 which would have been my default position.

That really opened up the options so I've decided to take my time figuring out what I want and how much to spend. Initially have decided to rule nothing in or out - the only things that are on the list are that it must have cruise control and a radio with LW and an Aux audio socket.
                                                                                                            Two days in and I'm mithered looking at whats available!
                                                                                                            Already leaning towards spending as little as possible. I thought I was open to a smaller car and every time I look at something like a Focus or an Auris I am finding it difficult to imagine myself driving one... no idea why
                                                                                                            Now I'm looking at a ridiculous range of things from

This Electric (not really going to work for me but maybe I'd try it for a while and if it doesn't work for me it would deffo have other uses at home).
                                                                                                            A well looked after 04 Saab with a LPG conversion
                                                                                                            There are loads of options in the mid range diesels passats, insignia and Octavias etc. and the price points look to be fairly well set which brings a couple of questions:

Miles or years ? I.e. Which is generally the better option A 12 Mondeo with high miles or a 09 one with low miles
                                                                                                            How much more expensive would a barge like this be to run for 25K Km a year over a 1.6 - 1.9 diesel?

Dealer or a private sale? I have a good mechanic to look any car over ?

If I was to go for newer car is there any advantage at all in paying 30 for a brand new one when the same car is available for 20 at one year with warranty but will take 5 years and 80K Km to lose the next 10K of value?
                                                                                                            If you don't mind the hideousness of the Leaf, I'd be all over it.

Mad_Lad on boards.ie Electric Vehicles forum does significant daily mileage in his and it seems to work for him. He is utterly mental though, perhaps a tad too keen.

Not buying a brand new car unless you plan to drive it for 5 years + (or else you don't really like money) seems like a decent rule to me.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                                                                And the other side of the coin... Does it do any good?
                                                                                                                Sure it does. And I'm sure there are people who believe it is an overall positive force in their lives. Regardless, it does more harm than good.
                                                                                                                "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Morals? I know morals. I have the best morals. Morals.

Comment

Huh? The state forces religion on kids through the school admission system. It's not about forcing athesism on anyone (as admirable a goal as that is), but rather saying that believing in fairy tales shouldn't be the basis for whether you can get access to your constitutional right to education.
                                                                                                                    Is it not possible to get a place in the local state if you are not catholic?
                                                                                                                    When did that happen? (See dossing Protestants in my class above).

Its all miles off my radar being childless and 16,000km away
                                                                                                                    Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                                    This has been touted to me as a serious reason to get christened.
                                                                                                                    mind boggling
                                                                                                                    What do you mean? Get christened so they don't sit out in the hallway.
                                                                                                                    Surely that's a mark against as far as the kids are concerned?

Comment

It really doesn't. As the Dawkins talk myself, Keane, and someone else (?) went to put it "if you want to teach morals, please don't use religion to do it, it's the worst perspective on morals"
                                                                                                                      Conor and Icky were there as well. I ended up getting locked with Conor after, putting on a lisp and shifting some auld wan.

Comment

With respect, you haven't got an absolute clue what atheism is. Like most blind eye believers.

I don't shove my disinterest in badminton down her throat either. It's so fucking annoying when someone who has forced a religion on a baby tells me I'm forcing a belief on mine. All children are athiest until a parent forces otherwise. Maybe if you understood what you were talking about you'd get that.

As for the 'it did you no harm' argument, I'm fucking sick of that. Here's one example of the harm it's done, 796 dumped child corpses causing nothing more than two weeks of news coverage. A population hard wired from an early age to turn a fucking blind eye.

Fucking church should fucking burn.
                                                                                                                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Far too busy today to get involved in this shit, blood boiled over though reading that shite.
                                                                                                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X