This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Home school is great if you're looking to win Spelling Bees, not so much for crafting a normal person imo. I suspect that a well-rounded eduction does far more for developing a successful life (professional and otherwise) than achieving X points in the leaving. Agency + social skills >>>>> rote learning.
    Okay but I can get social skills by having exposure to environments other than schools. Fair enough to rail against certain aspects of home schooling but are mainstream schools run by Union loving, public sector lifers the best environment for raising kids who are going to be competing against hungry bastards from China, Korea, India and everywhere else?

It's a bit like my primary and secondary education failed me spectacularly for a University environment studying Theoretical Physics which in turn failed me for a professional private sector career. The best learning for that environment was gleaned working with my Dad on nixers every weekend and by being a self taught reader and learner from my earliest days.

What does that say about the system and can we do better given that the pace of change is increasing and education is looking more out of touch every day imo?
    ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
      Being one of those annoying parents of an ugly cunt is part of the reason why I don't want wont have kids.

Fyp

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
        on the topic of cars - thinking of getting a TT. Had one a few years back for brief period of time but as was commuting to Dundalk at the time I couldn't stick with it as I was crippled with my back. Looking at the 2015 models and they are sexy beasts - think I will take one for a test drive this week.
        Given you treat your cars like your women, trade them in frequently and always hopping onboard younger models, would you not just lease at this stage??
        ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Biblical weather today . The window was hit by a barrage of debris which included a pizza box looked out the window to see some wheelie bins on their back The Lord is angry today...repent .
          Last edited by Solskjaer; 06-04-16, 14:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
            LOL. It's fucking massive, in the cities at least.
            With started off with a notion that the difference between school A and school B was 10% - if it's a choice between a hedge school and a dream school that probably doesn't require much of a discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
              Ah men who think they have a say in this. How delightful.
              Ah, I'm under no illusion that it've a say.
              But that's the bosses orders not mine.

...not under any illusion that the boss won't change the work order either.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                studying Theoretical Physics which in turn failed me for a professional private sector career.
                Well duh!

Comment

Originally posted by TheDrunkenOne View Post
                  Enjoying the religion debate. Non believer myself but do think the 10 commandments are a good guide
                  Thank goodness eh I mean up until mount sinai it was ok to kill, steal and take your neighbours wife and cattle etc. God decided it was time to officiate the rules...strange how he forgot to tell us he omitted rape and paedophilia...or perhaps he forgot? Or decided that they weren't really that bad?

Religion is man made....maybe that explains the sheer arrogance of all religions.

Comment

IrishParentBoards

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                      Well duh!
                      Meh it could have been a range of subjects.

The point is people study stuff in college that they rarely work in and the skills learned are a lot less transferable than they could be or should be imo. Too much emphasis on specifics rather than transferable skills in a traditional university environment.

If you were doing online courses across a wide range of disciplines you might have a better education for life.

Comment

The point is people study stuff in college that they rarely work in and the skills learned are a lot less transferable than they could be or should be imo. Too much emphasis on specifics rather than transferable skills in a traditional university environment.

If you were doing online courses across a wide range of disciplines you might have a better education for life.
                        Got asked a question recently on Standard Deviation. I was instantly transported back to the 70s. Was quite a nostalgic moment .

Comment

I disagree. We're not here to make people employable. We're here to teach them things they said they were interested in. They do a professional development module here and I hate it. All that stuff takes the joy out of learning for learning's sake and leads to a system where universities are just filtering system for employers.
                          If you want transferrable skills just do an MBA after your undergrad.
                          I realise no one agrees with me, but I'll continue in my idealogical bubble.

Comment

I disagree. We're not here to make people employable. We're here to teach them things they said they were interested in. They do a professional development module here and I hate it. All that stuff takes the joy out of learning for learning's sake and leads to a system where universities are just filtering system for employers.
                            If you want transferrable skills just do an MBA after your undergrad.
                            I realise no one agrees with me, but I'll continue in my idealogical bubble.
                            If I'm investing time and money in an education for the purposes of gainful employment in the future I'd disagree with you.

I'd say 80% of your clients are there to give themselves a good chance of a reliable and decent future income stream and if you don't deliver that than you are taking their monies under false pretenses.

If you say to them "f**k off we won't take your money unless you want a career of misery in academia" before they and their parents offload the cash and the time opportunity costs than I tip my hat to you but most universities take money from a lot of their clients by telling lies and not delivering what the customer expects...hence why people should question what they are getting from an inflexible "academic" education experience.

Additional anecdote: I mentor a young woman who had to leave a PhD program due to health issues and her confidence took a knock during the process. She previously defined herself by academia and now that wasn't a runner in the medium term she was devastated and didn't really have the skills to cope with this. She has brains and beauty to burn.

Anyway through the medium of public speaking in Toastmasters she has gained a lot of confidence and she acquitted herself very well recently in a public speaking contest. Off the back of all this she decided to go speak to her supervisor and in a very constructive manner she demanded a greatly improved job for herself than the menial lab work she was doing. She sent me an email two days ago to say that she's shipped the new gig and that without the confidence she'd gained in herself over the past two years she never would have gone for it. Makes me wonder at all the leaving cert points and the 1st class honours degrees people have and their genuine usefulness in helping them to advance in their professional and personal lives.
                            Last edited by V for Vendetta; 06-04-16, 16:06. Reason: Anecdote

Comment

Think you're forgetting something V

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                Fair enough. I personally think the variance between schools is small enough
                                Its really not.

School ethos or religion has little or nothing to do with the huge variance that does exist and is getting greater.
                                The single biggest influence on the quality of a school is the quality of its Principal, in my experience leadership in schools is more critical than in any other type of institution.
                                A good leader in a school have a huge influence and only where a school has had a long tradition of having good leaders will a school's standards survive a poor Principal.
                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

where can one do that?
                                  I was mainly tongue in cheek with that line as I thought it was a good one!

Dr Google says here and here for example.

Get the Company to pay it for you and offset it from your year end bonus for added benefit (obviously work mileage will determine the tax payable on the BIK but your accountant can do that for you).

Edit: Looks like 856p/m from audicentre based on 20k kilometres per annum for a TT coupe. Looks a bit like a hairdresser's car though and given your follicle challenges that seems wrong!
                                  Last edited by V for Vendetta; 06-04-16, 15:44.

Comment

Did an anagram of Irish Poker Boards and had a flashback to Hull in 1988

I abhorred pro kiss

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                      The Communion and confirmation in Primary schools are an anachronism and we could have been well on the way to having it gone in the next five years but you fucking morons decided to punish labour for not letting you have water for free and put Fianna Fail and the fucking Healys Rae in the driving seat instead... you stupid cunce.
                                      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

where can one do that?
                                        Thats more or less what PCP finance is

You pay a deposit and pay a rental for three years and meet5 obligations regarding servicing etc. then there is the residual value of the car at the end of the time when you have the option to buy it, walk away or hop back on the merry go round.
                                        Doesn't require huge imagination to figure out who the big winners are where the finance is being run by banks owned by the car manufacturers.The positive spin is its the same company / fleet leasing deal made available for Joe Public.
                                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                          Glen Hansard looks very different with his hair and beard tidied!

Comment

If I'm investing time and money in an education for the purposes of gainful employment in the future I'd disagree with you.

I'd say 80% of your clients are there to give themselves a good chance of a reliable and decent future income stream and if you don't deliver that than you are taking their monies under false pretenses.

If you say to them "f**k off we won't take your money unless you want a career of misery in academia" before they and their parents offload the cash and the time opportunity costs than I tip my hat to you but most universities take money from a lot of their clients by telling lies and not delivering what the customer expects...hence why people should question what they are getting from an inflexible "academic" education experience.
                                            The idea that someone would see going to University as investing time and money in studying purely to get a financial RoI makes me sad and its an attitude that I try to make the young folk snap out of wherever I can.
                                            They shouldn't be seen as clients or customers, they're students.
                                            I wouldn't say 'fuck off unless you want a career in academia' because their career is still not of concern to me.
                                            A life where you're trying to maximise your $EV from the time you can string thoughts together isn't something I would endorse.
                                            As I said, I know I'm in the minority though!

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                              Its really not.

School ethos or religion has little or nothing to do with the huge variance that does exist and is getting greater.
                                              The single biggest influence on the quality of a school is the quality of its Principal, in my experience leadership in schools is more critical than in any other type of institution.
                                              A good leader in a school have a huge influence and only where a school has had a long tradition of having good leaders will a school's standards survive a poor Principal.
                                              You're right, thanks. I was in the mindset of Eoghan's post to Conor about a 10% better school, selfishness and all that.

I understand there's variance between schools and religiosity is not the dominant factor in that variance. I don't think I said it was anywhere either tbf.

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

The idea that someone would see going to University as investing time and money in studying purely to get a financial RoI makes me sad and its an attitude that I try to make the young folk snap out of wherever I can.
                                                  They shouldn't be seen as clients or customers, they're students.
                                                  I wouldn't say 'fuck off unless you want a career in academia' because their career is still not of concern to me.
                                                  A life where you're trying to maximise your $EV from the time you can string thoughts together isn't something I would endorse.
                                                  As I said, I know I'm in the minority though!
                                                  They and their parents and the taxpayer are paying for it. That's why they get a shit service because they aren't treated as customers merely an unwelcome intrusion on the academics research and thinking time (in the main).

I'm not necessarily talking about just maximising $EV but more the wider concept of life EV. If you equip them merely to ride the books in a library and cram for a test as if that's the ultimate goal in life that's an education failure in my view. Most customers of the education system that we pay an awful lot for are lucky if they come out with those measly and modest skills.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Students being an intrusion certainly isn't my experience but I'm sure if happens. If you want a society that has max life EV, then the taxpayers are paying for an education for economic gain AND for the betterment of society. It would be a pretty grim existence if 3rd level education just became an industrial training scheme.
                                                      What of people who go to do ancient history, pure maths, art, theoretical physics :P...what should their expectations be? Should we get rid of art from junior school because it won't help the kids get a job?

Comment

Comment

Students being an intrusion certainly isn't my experience but I'm sure if happens. If you want a society that has max life EV, then the taxpayers are paying for an education for economic gain AND for the betterment of society. It would be a pretty grim existence if 3rd level education just became an industrial training scheme.
                                                          What of people who go to do ancient history, pure maths, art, theoretical physics :P...what should their expectations be? Should we get rid of art from junior school because it won't help the kids get a job?
                                                          I have no issue with the study of any subject - I'm a big fan of having many and diverse interests as you can probably guess. I'm also a fan of allowing course choice across a broad range of subjects in the first couple of years of study with the passing of courses counting towards overall academic achievement. Something that's been mooted for years but had very little action in general.

My issue is with the quality of the life skills and broader education provided. The ability to think and act independently following years of exposure to Irish academia is poor in my view and if we compare well against international peers that's an indictment of the system rather than a reason to cheer.

Hence my questions asking is there a better way? Can I self fund online courses and involve myself in more diverse learning experiences, thereby achieving a more rounded academic education and life education. But the big issue is that if this mindset hasn't been installed from a very early age is it too late?

Comment

Definitely agree that the American model where they have the choice of whatever modules they want at the start and specialise later on is the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                              Irish uni education, of the likes zuut presumably provides, is absolutely tops. I guess only people who've been through the system deride it. Think all the Irish unis are ranked amongst the best in the world.
                                                              Nope

The Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2015-2016 list the best global universities and are the only international university performance tables to judge world class universities across a

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                Irish uni education, of the likes zuut presumably provides, is absolutely tops. I guess only people who've been through the system deride it. Think all the Irish unis are ranked amongst the best in the world.
                                                                Except when they email their buddies in other universities to artificially boost their rankings.

How does the research conducted by some professor and his ability to attract peer citations impact the quality of the teaching an undergraduate receives anyway? No vested interest of the system has ever explained this to me...

Comment

Quality of teaching is way underrepresented when it comes to appointments alright.
                                                                  Never mind peer citations, self citations get the job done!

Why I'm defending a system that isn't paying me anymore as of the 30th of this month I don't really know.

Comment

Míchael Martin smashing a speech at the moment.

It's irritating that he's good at this part.

Comment

DCU is a Top 50 University under 50 years old though. That matters, honestly!

Comment

Quality of teaching is way underrepresented when it comes to appointments alright.
                                                                        Never mind peer citations, self citations get the job done!

Why I'm defending a system that isn't paying me anymore as of the 30th of this month I don't really know.
                                                                        In fairness to you Zuutroy your passion for teaching students and your willingness to commit to the education system (borderline a calling) despite the treatment you've personally received from the system has always shone through on here.

I'm just asking the broader question is the current orthodox approach to education as good as it gets? Can we do better and given the new world we face of a hollowed out middle class, the urgent need to encourage innovation and the ability to manage portfolio careers and lives, I just don't see how doing the same things that we've done with the education system for the past 20-30 years will deliver the kind of total rounded education future citizens will require.

Comment

Ruth Coppinger, not quite as good

Comment

In fairness to you Zuutroy your passion for teaching students and your willingness to commit to the education system (borderline a calling) despite the treatment you've personally received from the system has always shone through on here.

I'm just asking the broader question is the current orthodox approach to education as good as it gets? Can we do better and given the new world we face of a hollowed out middle class, the urgent need to encourage innovation and the ability to manage portfolio careers and lives, I just don't see how doing the same things that we've done in education for the past 20-30 years will deliver the kind of total rounded education future citizens will require.
                                                                            Yea there's huge changes required. Even at a micro level a lot of people are still delivering lectures every year that they could easily record and play back to future classes so we need to look at how those 50 minutes can be better used.
                                                                            I'm just wary of turning the whole thing into a business.

Comment

Yea there's huge changes required. Even at a micro level a lot of people are still delivering lectures every year that they could easily record and play back to future classes so we need to look at how those 50 minutes can be better used.
                                                                              I'm just wary of turning the whole thing into a business.
                                                                              I love the idea of a huge global library of very high quality modules using various multimedia approaches backed up and supported by small groups with direct access to a tutor/mentor to aid and guide the group learning and discussion post the digestion of the module.

The consumption of these modules to be combined and interwoven with direct experience of the post university environment whether that is in an office, work shadowing a professor or professional thinker or helping a professional artist, this would really make the whole experience more holistic and realistic.

The fact it could be done for a fraction of the current education system costs is a bonus as I think the primary issue is that the quality of the education would be better and less wasteful of peoples lives and academic resources.

These approaches are beginning to become available to various degrees (and will be available to a large extent in 20 years time) but the very interesting challenge as a parent of a young child is how to encourage them to step out of the orthodox thinking we currently have so they are equipped to take a different approach with their own education when the time comes?

It's going to be very tough if you just feed them a standard primary and secondary school diet so how do you sow the seeds?

Edit: Education is a business in my view. We just measure the results more broadly than simple financial metrics. Academics bemoaning this fact are like someone going to the gym and saying they don't want to measure their progress as if going to the gym is an end in itself. We're not a business is code for we don't want to be assessed to see if there is a better way of delivering the same educational services for less. It's self-interest ultimately.
                                                                              Last edited by V for Vendetta; 06-04-16, 16:48.

Comment

Scary issue here at work yesterday.

One of the managers, newly appointed, who is 26 was sent home due to what I can only describe as mentally cracking.

I guess, with hindsight, its been a progression, he has been working crazy hours and no amount of us telling him to slow down was working. He would take on all the work and not just delgate, but it was slow enough until yesterday when it was completely nonsensical mode. He was talking about "driving a porsche to throw rocks at snakes, just kidding , I wouldnt hurt a snake, well... if it attacked my mom I would, but only after if it had attacked a cow first", about "writing a book about his parasites" about how he was "feeding homeless people at 3am from macdonalds and how he found a guy that gave him great advice and some pills to take".

It was first noticed in a meeting when he was drawing Kangaroos on the meeting board while everyone else was having a discussion.

Scary stuff, I'd be one of his closer colleagues too. I mentioned it to our Director who called in HR. This part really really pisses me off, I was in a meeting later on and I come out to him gone. I ask what happened and HR just escorted him to his car, and let him drive home, no supervision, no duty of care, nothing. This is a guy who does genuinely love work, so that conversation with HR asking him to take a week off would have been hard for him, especially in that state. Im angry about that. He said he was going to his Dads. I called his missus and she called his Dad, course he wasnt there. Thankful he did go home though as she found him there later on.

He's home now and resting up and Im in regular enough contact with his missus checking up on him. HR had his access to all work stuff removed too. Gonna give it a few days and then try talk to him to see if it was just sleep deprivation and exhaustion or if we think he needs extra help.

Also gonna tear HR a new one for letting him go home alone. Useless fucks.
                                                                                This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

A woman accompanied her husband to the doctor's office. After his checkup , the doctor called the wife into his office alone. He told her, "Your husband is suffering from a very severe disease, combined with horrible stress . If you don't do the following , your husband will surely die...Each morning, fix him a healthy breakfast. Be pleasant , and make sure he is in a good mood . For lunch make him a nutritious meal. For dinner prepare an especially nice meal for him. Don't burden him with chores , as he probably had a hard day. Don't discuss your problems with him, it will only make his stress worse . And most importantly, make love with your husband several times a week and satisfy his every whim . If you can do this for the next 10 months to a year, I think your husband will regain his health completely."

On the way home, the husband asked his wife. "What did the doctor say?" She replied, "You're going to die"!

Comment

...

Comment

DIFFERENT VIEW- Tuesday 4/7/09 at Augusta National Golf Course during Masters practice round on hole 16. A different viewpoint, shot from behind 16th tee. V...

An out of this world shot by Vijay Singh on #16 at Augusta during a practice round for the Masters. Bouncing a ball off the water on #16 during practice roun...

Hadn't seen this before, this is class
                                                                                      Go big or go homeless.

Comment

PP enhancing Madrid and PSG double from 7/4 to 5/2 for tonights interest.

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                                          PP enhancing Madrid and PSG double from 7/4 to 5/2 for tonights interest.
                                                                                          All in (For the max of 20)
                                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

Got hit by a car yesterday cycling home from work, turned across me in the wrong. Feck sake. Broken elbow and finger amongst other injuries, used them to protect head. I'd still be on that trolley if I didn't have insurance, it's mental busy. Waiting on surgery's now, probably have to do an insurance claim or talk to a solicitor too, great. So much for working or weightlifting for the foreseeable future.

Comment

A weekend listening to Monty...
                                                                                              airport, lol

Comment

...
                                                                                                Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 06-04-16, 18:20.

Comment

New Werewolf game anyone? Athiests V Zealots

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                    Got hit by a car yesterday cycling home from work, turned across me in the wrong. Feck sake. Broken elbow and finger amongst other injuries, used them to protect head. I'd still be on that trolley if I didn't have insurance, it's mental busy. Waiting on surgery's now, probably have to do an insurance claim or talk to a solicitor too, great. So much for working or weightlifting for the foreseeable future.
                                                                                                    This exact event paid for a considerable bit of a friend's mortgage deposit. (Silver lining?)

He was hit by a nurse too, who administered plenty of help at the scene until the ambulance arrived!

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                      This exact event paid for a considerable bit of a friend's mortgage deposit. (Silver lining?)

He was hit by a nurse too, who administered plenty of help at the scene until the ambulance arrived!
                                                                                                      Yeah I imagine it will be similar, would rather it not happen though. Especially as I may not be able to bend finger fully or straighten arm fully, will see. That would be a disaster.

Guy that hit me rang to see how I was, also was saying he would rather pay himself than go through insurance, but understand s if that's what I gotta do. He would rather pay because he thinks he will lose his car, which he needs for work, because he's already claimed when his was stolen or something.

Surgery put back til tomorrow, feck

Turns out my left hand is useless at everything, I'll be getting to know it more intimately
                                                                                                      Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 06-04-16, 19:01.

Comment

Zlatan the lanky bottler
                                                                                                        Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                                          A weekend listening to Monty...
                                                                                                          It's on BBC Saturday and Sunday
                                                                                                          His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Yeah I imagine it will be similar, would rather it not happen though. Especially as I may not be able to bend finger fully or straighten arm fully, will see. That would be a disaster.

Guy that hit me rang to see how I was, also was saying he would rather pay himself than go through insurance, but understand s if that's what I gotta do. He would rather pay because he thinks he will lose his car, which he needs for work, because he's already claimed when his was stolen or something.

Turns out my left hand is useless at everything, I'll be getting to know it more intimately
                                                                                                            Pay how much?
                                                                                                            Fuck him your the one broke up and in need of surgery.
                                                                                                            Id not believe a word of his.
                                                                                                            Last edited by Guest; 06-04-16, 20:09.

Comment

Sorry but that is bs. Go through the insurance it's not even a decision. GL with the surgery.

Comment

My own experience of this someone saying theyw ill look after you etc.
                                                                                                                Worked for an irish company in the netherlands one of the lads had a forklift run over his big toe broke it.
                                                                                                                He was told he would be looked after etc he didnt want to go home to ireland.
                                                                                                                After 5 weeks of not working and not getting paid our area manager came to the house with 150 pounds for him.

He obv lost the head after being treated so poorly and went back to ireland to make a claim.
                                                                                                                I dont know how it ended up.
                                                                                                                All he wanted was to get paid for his loss of income nothing extra this was off a company we knew so im guessing a strangers words are basically worthless.

Comment

UL m8. Who's looking after Misa?
                                                                                                                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Have two tickets for Newton Faulkner in the Olympia for tomorrow night. Herself bought them and now has no interest. They are Circle tickets. Free to a good home if anyone has any interest

Comment

Thank GOD Tar wasn't killed by the cycleopath.
                                                                                                                      go through insurance his story sounds unlikely as hell (or heaven)
                                                                                                                      At least you could point the finger at who done it.

Comment

This is great

Comment

Originally posted by Funkymonk View Post
                                                                                                                          Have two tickets for Newton Faulkner in the Olympia for tomorrow night. Herself bought them and now has no interest. They are Circle tickets. Free to a good home if anyone has any interest
                                                                                                                          I'll have em!

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X