X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
    Does Adamm still lurk/post here?
    He appeared out of nowhere into the election thread the other day recommending someone other than John in that constituency as a decent 20 /1 shot
    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

It really is amazing that there's a huge tournament going on in the RDS (set an attendance record for UKIPT?) and there's next to no interest here!
      You'd think this place would be a barometer for the appetite for poker in the country but evidently not.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
        It really is amazing that there's a huge tournament going on in the RDS (set an attendance record for UKIPT?) and there's next to no interest here!
        You'd think this place would be a barometer for the appetite for poker in the country but evidently not.
        It hasn't been for a long while now though in fairness.

Comment

Yea! Only realised this tourney was on on Wednesday! A few years ago I'd have been chomping at the bit to go play it for ages!

Comment

It hasn't been for a long while now though in fairness.

WWW.irishpeoplewhousedtolikepokerboards.com
            Ah yea I know but if there's an EPT in our back yard and even that gets no more than a single thread with 60 odd posts it cements our place in sensible parenthood as a community.

Comment

Women's six nations coming up in half an hour. I just had a look at the betting and the points line is 33 which is ridiculously low. I'd expect 50 points minimum in this game. Evens over 33 is a very nice bet imo.
              'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

Time for a rebrand m8s

Comment

Does Adamm still lurk/post here?
                  Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                  He appeared out of nowhere into the election thread the other day recommending someone other than John in that constituency as a decent 20 /1 shot
                  Odd for him to be recommending someone other than Halligan since he does his campaigns for him I believe?

Comment

Originally posted by davepoke/her View Post
                    How could you not vote for this fella?

That fucking fluoride has us all gone mad.
                    Halligan is an absolute lock, but price reflects this.

Comment

What odds can I get now on Leicester to successfully defend their title?
                      X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                      Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Christmas View Post
                        Will have a pound with you m8

Comment

What odds you giving me m8.

Comment

The football guru that is Michael Owen today said on bt sport that Leicester could get relegated next season.

I've been consistently piling money on Leicester for the title since Christmas pretty much on a weekly basis, shouldn't be long now until that deafening sound of my heart breaking.

Just mentioned it in the footie betting thread but 23/20 on Leicester or draw tomorrow looks good to me.
                            Last edited by darwinatemyhamster; 13-02-16, 19:58.

Comment

What odds you giving me m8.
                              Your £2 to my £1 note.

Comment

Where would you buy a hip flask in Dublin?

Comment

Originally posted by CHDog View Post
                                  Your £2 to my £1 note.
                                  It's a not a great deal m8.

Comment

Kapp and Peterson at the main entrance of Trinity should have them.

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                      Anyone know where I could buy a cheap enough hip flask in west dub or the city centre by saturday? thanks.

Comment

Theres even an ipber back on Monday on the FT live stream of the UKIPT

Comment

This is quite nice and great value!

Her sky-ness
                                          © 5starpool

Comment

What are my chances of seeing a bit of side boob in this women's rugby ?
                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

How many Irish runners in the ept and how many were there in the high roller?
                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                Vladas Tamasauskas ?

EDIT: also is it an A+ ranking event? 1000+ entrants and >€1000 buy in?

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                  What are my chances of seeing a bit of side boob in this women's rugby ?
                                                  Ref in the womens game is pretty hot

Comment

this place

in the chipper waiting for my single and am reading the herald.

headline "Kinahan Cartel has five stolen motors ready for next attack"

I'm thinking "they had six up to a few days ago"

Comment

The Big Short to win the best picture Oscar @ best price 5/2 seems like a good bet to me from reading nerd stat analysis.

I have also now seen all the nominees and I think it should win.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                        The Big Short to win the best picture Oscar @ best price 5/2 seems like a good bet to me from reading nerd stat analysis.

I have also now seen all the nominees and I think it should win.
                                                        Yep - it's an excellent and accessible telling of a complex tale
                                                        "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

EPT starts tomorrow

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
                                                          Vladas Tamasauskas ?

EDIT: also is it an A+ ranking event? 1000+ entrants and >€1000 buy in?
                                                          Reilly. Yep A+. You min cash?

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                                                            this place

in the chipper waiting for my single and am reading the herald.

headline "Kinahan Cartel has five stolen motors ready for next attack"

I'm thinking "they had six up to a few days ago"
                                                            True Kerryman reading the paper in a chipper!. Us dubliners wouldn't lower our guard with being as off guard as that.
                                                            They had 6 up to about midnight last night when the driver of one woke me by the insane sound of crashing one into a parked car and landing on its roof right in the middle of the road. The driver even honked his horn to bring it to the attention of neighbours. I watched them try to break a window then wedge open a door to free him from the mangled mess as they feared the fuel tank would explode. He fled once freed.
                                                            Cars who happened upon the scene just mounted the steep kerb and drove past. A couple coming back from the pub didnt even stop to look until they were a safe 50m past for a quick glance back. Helicopter on the scene soon after and heard this morning the scroat was picked up.

The Norrrrrthsidddde

Comment

Churchill was some man for the one-liners. Argung with some wan at a dinner party:

"Sir, if you were my husband I would put poison in your tea!"

"Madam, if you were my wife I would drink it"

"We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

...You min cash?
                                                                like a boss

Comment

I thought The Big Short was pretty meh tbh. Tried far too hard imo. Enjoyed both Room and Spotlight far more.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                    Churchill was some man for the one-liners. Argung with some wan at a dinner party:

"Sir, if you were my husband I would put poison in your tea!"

"Madam, if you were my wife I would drink it"

He was brilliant.

She: sir, you are drunk.
                                                                    Churchill: yes Madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I will be sober.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                      4 nights a week in Ranelagh, 3 nights in Coolock - Strongly looks like that will change to 7 nights a week in Ranelagh very, very soon!

Their warm breakfast salad is pretty delish though, should be two poached eggs instead of one, 'tis my only complaint
                                                                      Breakfast salad?

Think it says more about IPB and the way it is viewed with regards to poker, the site has had a big shift and it's more of a general chit chat site and I'd say it's similar for others also. Players from here who were really into it have obviously lost the love of the game but still frequent the site ergo BBV and those new players or anybody seriously involved in poker have other means/ways of engaging and been up to date with what's going on.

Yea! Only realised this tourney was on on Wednesday! A few years ago I'd have been chomping at the bit to go play it for ages!
                                                                      As I noted above you've obviously lost the love of the game.

Ah yea I know but if there's an EPT in our back yard and even that gets no more than a single thread with 60 odd posts it cements our place in sensible parenthood as a community.
                                                                      The level of participation has been waining for awhile and I've even been finding myself less inclined to post anything poker related as it just doesn't seem to have an pull.

Mark Reilly aka reilly110 for those of you in anyway inclined.

Day1a of the EPT is tomorrow, I'm interested in seeing how this goes numberwise from talking with Nick O'Hara he says the attendance has been very good all round, as for the €25,750 high roller it had 70 runners, no Irish unless you count Steve O'Dwyer.

Just asked the media co-ordinator how many Irish played the €2,000 UKIPT high roller, out of the 416 runners only 17 Irish.
                                                                      Last edited by tylerdurden94; 13-02-16, 21:58.
                                                                      "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                        He was brilliant.

She: sir, you are drunk.
                                                                        Churchill: yes Madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I will be sober.
                                                                        Was that not Oscar?

Edit: nothing even close, though I must read Dorian Gray again, so many great lines in it

To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable.
                                                                        Last edited by ComradeCollie; 13-02-16, 22:12.
                                                                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

It's easier not to lose the love of the game when you're getting paid for it!. Ere gimme a lend of that camera

Comment

Please remove you USB safely. I didn't. Feeling pretty bad ass.

two more days to Vinyl Anyone know if you can get it sooner. ?

Bill Murray. I'm not so sure he is that funny. Downhill after Stripes.

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                                                                              It's easier not to lose the love of the game when you're getting paid for it!. Ere gimme a lend of that camera
                                                                              I've defo lost my love of the game to some degree and not playing as often.

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                                                Think it says more about IPB and the way it is viewed with regards to poker, the site has had a big shift and it's more of a general chit chat site and I'd say it's similar for others also. Players from here who were really into it have obviously lost the love of the game but still frequent the site ergo BBV and those new players or anybody seriously involved in poker have other means/ways of engaging and been up to date with what's going on.
                                                                                Personally, I think this site should be the goto place for poker in ireland. A place where both the new and old skool players have a place. It certainly started that way.

The level of participation has been waining for awhile and I've even been finding myself less inclined to post anything poker related as it just doesn't seem to have an pull.
                                                                                Keep posting brother - there's some of s still left....

Mark Reilly aka reilly110 for those of you in anyway inclined.
                                                                                GLGLGGLGLGLGLGLGL

Day1a of the EPT is tomorrow, I'm interested in seeing how this goes numberwise from talking with Nick O'Hara he says the attendance has been very good all round, as for the €25,750 high roller it had 70 runners, no Irish unless you count Steve O'Dwyer.
                                                                                From what I have seen - the attendance has been great. A bit silly only having one mens toilets IMO

Just asked the media co-ordinator how many Irish played the €2,000 UKIPT high roller, out of the 416 runners only 17 Irish.
                                                                                Having the EPT really helps with numbers. not so much for recreational Irish players, but johnny foreigner coming in boosts the numbers in these bigger buy in events. I'd be interested to see if the D4 festival in the regency wasn't happening - would stars have a couple more lower buy in tourneys - boosting numbers even more?

Comment

Originally posted by Solskjaer View Post
                                                                                  two more days to Vinyl Anyone know if you can get it sooner. ?
                                                                                  if you're really jonesing you can look at pictures of my record collection in the meantime.

And they're all in Drimnagh so you can feel some spiritual ownership!

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                                                                    if you're really jonesing you can look at pictures of my record collection in the meantime.

And they're all in Drimnagh so you can feel some spiritual ownership!
                                                                                    very impressive

Comment

...
                                                                                      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                        How did the Irish game die, if its still so popular elsewhere?
                                                                                        I dont think the Irish game has died - I just think the 'downturn' made it less likely new players would take the game on in a serious way. It's only in the last year or so, I'm seeing 'new' 'young' players enter the pub/local casino scene

Comment

More Churchill quotes,the man was a bantz machine!
                                                                                          Churchill's only response to a telegram from the government in Delhi about people perishing in the famine was to ask why Gandhi hadn't died yet.

When Mahatma Gandhi launched his campaign of peaceful resistance, Churchill raged that he "ought to be lain bound hand and foot at the gates of Delhi, and then trampled on by an enormous elephant with the new Viceroy seated on its back."

"I am strongly in favour of using poisoned gas against uncivilised tribes...[It] would spread a lively terror."

Comment

Genuinely not too disappointed by today. We played pretty well in general but, like last week, we lacked the ability to push through and translate go forward opportunities inside their half into tries (or even scores). But France played well and hung in there, grinding it out in the second half. They won the right way - I can only imagine how satisfying it was for them to physically pound us into submission over our own line. Also confirms my suspicion that Italy played quite well last week.

Good chance to experiment now and reach into the squad - maybe try out McClosky and Jackson with a start fitness permitting? It's going to be a tough year with more losses than we're used to. That's okay so long as we're building to something.
                                                                                            "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Poker seemed wonderful fun and challenging when our natural abilities and intelligence meant something in a competitive sense. Then when it began to get solved it became a question of whether you wanted to commit to obsessive study to remain competitive.

Frankly I think it's depressing to think about playing a game like that. And many other things too. When you properly realise that certain things have been deconstructed into the information underlying their structure and processes, and that mastery of it is merely a question of obsessive graft, it sure does sap motivation.

Who wants to play chess when a computer can destroy you every time? Who wants to play Scrabble with some freak who has sat down and learnt all the high scoring little words? Who wants to play online poker when huge numbers of computeresque people from all around the world who do nothing but study it will beat you?

I think it's sad when things get figured out in this way. It takes the magic, mystery, and creativity out of things. It shifts things from an expression of natural abilities, which can be joyful and meaningful, to a transduction into 1's and 0's. And at that level it might as well be anything, might as well be literally numbers.

Now I know that this level is not manifested if you head into an Irish poker tournament or cash game. But it's there. In the back of your head. You know, in a global sense, you're shit. And if you're not egoistic enough to get something out of being better than the others who happen to be sitting around you, then it's pretty demotivating.

Once it was a challenge to try to figure out what would be the best move in a situation. Now you know there is an answer, but you're just too unknowledgeable to know it. Every uncertainty is a kick in the teeth, reminding you of how shit you are.

The worst of it is that this applies to so many things beyond poker. I think this helps explain why I have become so interested in some things over the past few years which are so very far removed from being deconstructed in this way. I am attracted to that which is beyond what is currently well analysable in that way.

I don't want to see the 1's and 0's. I don't have the heart for it.

Comment

Six documentaries from the BBC on the roots of rave & club culture.

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
                                                                                                  Personally, I think this site should be the goto place for poker in ireland. A place where both the new and old skool players have a place. It certainly started that way.

Keep posting brother - there's some of s still left....

GLGLGGLGLGLGLGLGL

From what I have seen - the attendance has been great. A bit silly only having one mens toilets IMO

Having the EPT really helps with numbers. not so much for recreational Irish players, but johnny foreigner coming in boosts the numbers in these bigger buy in events. I'd be interested to see if the D4 festival in the regency wasn't happening - would stars have a couple more lower buy in tourneys - boosting numbers even more?
                                                                                                  Do certainly agree with you that it should be the default place to go for poker in Ireland, one of the downsides is that there is a ton of different avenues that posters went in relation to were to chat about the game/their game. No limit holdem is basically figured out which in turns leads to a distinct lack of strategy threads on the game with very little interest in other variations. When we do have some new threads popping up the old guard who were on the ball with their analysis & help have either left the game or just stopped responding to these types of posts. While the site might lack the likes of up to date news/strategy articles I do still think it does have a good purpose and is helpful to promoters advertising tournaments & players being able to sell %'s and the likes, there is a really good community feeling around here which is seen in the likes of the BBV.

I've seen people piss and moan as the site has grown and sections popped up like personal blogs or community games etc, don't think it would be the worst thing in the world if the site was to grow a little and branch out.

There is defo a bunch of high stakes regs who haven't made the trip over to Dublin, €25K could've easily had 85-90 runners. PokerStars tour stops are really well supported nowadays and regards it being Irish or foreign players I'm delighted to see it having a good turnout as for it coming back next year possibly. As for the D4 Events stuff going on I haven't heard too much other than they got solid numbers for their first day of the ACOP and hopefully a Stars tournament won't take away from them and they're able to bag some good turnouts.

Money always money, recession.

Comment

HUD's online and headphones/sun glasses/baseball cap wearing robots live made me quit but also not willing/unable to study the game constantly and confirmation that it aint luck and payouts being top heavy contributed. The feeling you were fodder for orginised stables of horses and a sigh and shake of the head being the reaction to 'inventive' play rather than a smile/funny remark/see you at the bar later all are factors for me. Just didn't/doesn't do it for me anymore. Sad really as i did love it so much.

Comment

Carpool Karaoke with Justin Bieber (Part 2) 19.11.15Link: https://youtu.be/ztWFp63QPj4

Comment

Do you recognise this man?

Comment

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

That's a great post Hotspur. Think that's exactly it.
                                                                                                                Absolutely nailed it.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                                  Poker seemed wonderful fun and challenging when our natural abilities and intelligence meant something in a competitive sense. Then when it began to get solved it became a question of whether you wanted to commit to obsessive study to remain competitive.

Frankly I think it's depressing to think about playing a game like that. And many other things too. When you properly realise that certain things have been deconstructed into the information underlying their structure and processes, and that mastery of it is merely a question of obsessive graft, it sure does sap motivation.

Who wants to play chess when a computer can destroy you every time? Who wants to play Scrabble with some freak who has sat down and learnt all the high scoring little words? Who wants to play online poker when huge numbers of computeresque people from all around the world who do nothing but study it will beat you?

I think it's sad when things get figured out in this way. It takes the magic, mystery, and creativity out of things. It shifts things from an expression of natural abilities, which can be joyful and meaningful, to a transduction into 1's and 0's. And at that level it might as well be anything, might as well be literally numbers.

Now I know that this level is not manifested if you head into an Irish poker tournament or cash game. But it's there. In the back of your head. You know, in a global sense, you're shit. And if you're not egoistic enough to get something out of being better than the others who happen to be sitting around you, then it's pretty demotivating.

Once it was a challenge to try to figure out what would be the best move in a situation. Now you know there is an answer, but you're just too unknowledgeable to know it. Every uncertainty is a kick in the teeth, reminding you of how shit you are.

The worst of it is that this applies to so many things beyond poker. I think this helps explain why I have become so interested in some things over the past few years which are so very far removed from being deconstructed in this way. I am attracted to that which is beyond what is currently well analysable in that way.

I don't want to see the 1's and 0's. I don't have the heart for it.
                                                                                                                  +1 million. This stuff is infesting sports now,and is partvof the reason I have to turn off the radio most of the time when rugby\gaa analysis comes on
                                                                                                                  This is why everyone wants Leicester to win,literally nobody saw it coming,its beautiful
                                                                                                                  Last edited by Guest; 14-02-16, 09:50.

Comment

Hotspur is WRONG (about something somewhere sometime I just can't remember what, where or when)

Comment

Ultimately analytics will take over whenever money is involved (and sometimes when its not). See Moneyball.
                                                                                                                      When Betfair started there were massive edges to be had but then automation kicked in, edges dwindled and only the software nerds prevailed.
                                                                                                                      Almost the exact same thing happened with poker....Huds meant edges got smaller which meant you had to play more tables which meant Table Ninja happened and so on.
                                                                                                                      Daily Fantasy is the same in the US. A tiny majority of the player pool are cleaning up by using scripts to automate their team selections and enter dozens or hundreds of teams in the big field events.

Comment

Every time I play tournament poker, watch twitch, watch replays, I get such relief that the game is not solved by 95% of people that play it. The cream still rises to the top but there's plenty of bad players for it still to be profitable.

The game is tougher now that it was years ago but there's a lot more tournaments so a lot more chances of getting one of those lucky breaks. Cash games and heads up poker is pretty much solved so would be amazes if anyone could match the win rate they had 5 years ago. Knowing your calling and shoving ranges and putting them into action in tournament poker only has maximum affect against other guys that also know them.

There's still plenty of money to be made but the live circuit isn't much fun these days because of a lack of characters and that's mainly where the appeal of that aspects of the game has died a little for me.

Comment

i'm probably being very naive here, but why don't the big sites not set up and market a few feeder "no hud, no data mining" sites to try and get the massive pool of ex players who've given up because all they want is a fun game without the study part?

surely the big sites are going to have to branch out a little bit if they want to grow the player pool again? no idea of the numbers but are the sites still seeing growth or are they just upping the rake?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X