This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
    Anyone that hasn't realised this is a simulation needs their head examined.
    Musk reckons its odds on. It's baffling to even think about but very likely. Mad isn't it. We could very well be a top class version of sims on some cunt kid aliens computer.

We are taught that to exist you must be created. Whether life or a poxy rock. Who created that God cunt? What was there before that? Just spend an hour reading about how big the universe is and if you aren't stupid you'll soon cop that religion is a massive load of shite.

Comment

What if God was one of us?
      Just a slob like one of us
      Just a stranger on the bus
      Trying to make his way home?
      Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Believing in god may seem like an act of faith but in reality it's brainwashing that's been mostly unwittingly passed down through generations for thousands of years.

Each religion believes theirs is the absolute truth. That belief in itself leaves the vast majority of people who consider themselves religious in the wrong regardless of your leanings and that's pretty much undeniable.

While I somewhat understand the sentiment ,looking forward to seeing your daughter in a dress is the epitome of what 'first holy communion' has become. Truth be told it's a glorified day out for all concerned for most parents. Put most of them on the spot and they wouldn't know a Eucharist from a horcrux.
        Last edited by darwinatemyhamster; 06-03-17, 00:28.

Comment

Talking about religion. The icon which is iberico ham is looked at from a molecular level in this program on BBC i player "The Secrets Of Your Food" It is episode 2 'A matter of taste'. Well worth a gander http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...atter-of-taste

Comment

I'm with Lazare. Fuck the church.

Comment

Ugh Religion debates, go home BBV you're drunk.

Comment

Had my first bunsen burger tonight. Burger was top notch cooked medium, helped by riggers advice of not doubling up as the single is plenty, hand cut chips were meh, service was woefully bad. Would go again cos the burger is worth a return and I hope I just caught the bad service on an off night and that's not the norm.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                  What if God was one of us?
                  Just a slob like one of us
                  Just a stranger on the bus
                  Trying to make his way home?
                  Well he can fuck off if he thinks he is getting my seat, I don't care how old he is!

Comment

No matter how old they are hardcore atheists just can't help sounding like some angry 14 year old who has just read a few chapters of the god delusion.
                    Don't believe in anything myself but manage to reign it in when people go on about praying for a sick relative etc because what purpose does it serve to rip up someone else's comfort blanket?
                    If I'm ever on a plane that starts nosediving over the Atlantic I'll spit out a few Hail Marys and that's as far as it goes

Comment

Originally posted by shano1888 View Post
                      Again, the Nazi comparison doesn't work. It would if Germans still supported the Nazi party. Nazi revisionists ARE black marked. Holocaust denial is a crime in Germany.
                      I really hate the godwinning of every possible topic. But it was done before I got here so I continued it.
                      The fact that holocaust denial is a crime isnt really relevant to what I said tbh.
                      I wasnt stating that the church should or shouldn't be still held responsible for past actions. I was asking whether they could ever escape past actions or not? It's a question, not a statement. Saying "it doesn't work" isn't an answer to the question.

The nazi germany part was just an example of how the german government isn't really held responsible for the actions of the German government in the past. (FWIW a post-nazi, far right, political party exists in Germany. Watched very closely).
                      Just an example, pick another if you like. Like most other governments, or even Kellogg's corn flakes. Or ditch the example - the question stands on its own

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                        No matter how old they are hardcore atheists just can't help sounding like some angry 14 year old who has just read a few chapters of the god delusion.
                        Have to agree with that. For some reason I often wander into the Atheism forum on boards. I don't really know how I end up there. Much like after hours.
                        Some of the crazies are a bit mad. Also, people going on about agnosticism without knowing what it actually means is odd.

Comment

Ok gonna comment on religion as it seems so important?
                          Firstly I ask how many people have died because of religion?
                          Secondly how can you chose to believe in a specific diety contrary to other dieties?
                          Thirdly the universe is feking massive and if there is a God he definitely is a minimalist.
                          Finally how could an all powerful being make soo many mistakes. He gave us instructions (commandments) which anyone knows men don't read. He rebooted (Noah) which didn't work. He even sent in his son who we killed ffs.

It's all a load of shite, just another form of insurance and the only people who profit from insurance are the companies.

Night night

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                            I really hate the godwinning of every possible topic. But it was done before I got here so I continued it.
                            The fact that holocaust denial is a crime isnt really relevant to what I said tbh.
                            I wasnt stating that the church should or shouldn't be still held responsible for past actions. I was asking whether they could ever escape past actions or not? It's a question, not a statement. Saying "it doesn't work" isn't an answer to the question.

The nazi germany part was just an example of how the german government isn't really held responsible for the actions of the German government in the past. (FWIW a post-nazi, far right, political party exists in Germany. Watched very closely).
                            Just an example, pick another if you like. Like most other governments, or even Kellogg's corn flakes. Or ditch the example - the question stands on its own
                            I had to Google godwinning.

If you were asking a question as opposed to making a statement I didn't pick up on that so apologies if my tone was off.

In answer to your question I think in order to escape past actions they church would need to address the past in a meaningful way. Which means accountability. And not covering shit up.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDrunkenOne View Post
                              Firstly I ask how many people have died because of religion?
                              Secondly how can you chose to believe in a specific diety contrary to other dieties?
                              Thirdly the universe is feking massive and if there is a God he definitely is a minimalist.
                              Finally how could an all powerful being make soo many mistakes. He gave us instructions (commandments) which anyone knows men don't read. He rebooted (Noah) which didn't work. He even sent in his son who we killed ffs.
                              1. Lots of people, probably. Depends how you define the "because of" part. A lot of the time it's a co-relation rather than a cause.
                              Lots of people have died because of atheism too btw. For the sake of an honest representation. People are shits.
                              2. Other deities? The flaw in that argument against monotheistic religion should be obvious.
                              3. The universe is essential one huge anti-religion project tbf.
                              4. Wouldn't they be most down to mistakes of man?
                              God is probably off playing with Humans 6.1, who are undoubtedly far superior and generally much nicer people than us.

I had to Google godwinning.

If you were asking a question as opposed to making a statement I didn't pick up on that so apologies if my tone was off.

In answer to your question I think in order to escape past actions they church would need to address the past in a meaningful way. Which means accountability. And not covering shit up.
                              That's essentially what trying to get at. That I don't think it's actually right to tar them for life. But they'd also have to actively do something about it, and not cover up, stay quiet and hope it goes away.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Don't believe in anything myself but manage to reign it in when people go on about praying for a sick relative etc because what purpose does it serve to rip up someone else's comfort blanket?
                                        If I'm ever on a plane that starts nosediving over the Atlantic I'll spit out a few Hail Marys and that's as far as it goes
                                        I am well screwed in that situation. Don't know the Hail Mary

Comment

Comment

I have to admit I was part of that to an extent.
                                            I watched Dawkins on the Panel not too long after The God Delusion was released and I thought he was brilliant. I immediately went out bought that and read the Blind Watchmaker, Self Gene and Origin of Species in quick succession.
                                            I think I've read one or two Dan Brown books since then but outside of that I've never read a fictional book since.

All my family are relatively devote catholics, I never attend church myself outside of funerals and weddings etc but outside of a tiny period of time when first reading Dawkins when I thought people who were religious were stupid I've never once brought the topic up and would never look down on someone who is religious.

I admittedly sometimes struggle understanding how some very intelligent people believe in some kind of God/deity etc but if it helps them who am I to judge.
                                            I think the human race has somewhat outgrown religion to an extent, I think it had a place in human history but is now counter productI've for the majority of the world but again perhaps I'm wrong.

On a side note I was only looking at booking The Galapagos for the way home but just too pricey but it's my bucket list trip,

Comment

This. Fucking hell.

Duke, you are an intelligent man; you cannot actually think those children all died of natural causes.
                                              Thank you.

I don't believe they were deliberately and systemically murdered.

They have been mistreated, we know this well from all that has come out recently. They were housed in poor conditions, sometimes abused and possibly suffered from malnutrition. They suffered from social stigmatisation. Their own families in many cases turned their backs on them. All in an Irish state dominated by catholic conservatism.

But they were not deliberately exterminated. There was no campaign of organised murder. That's why using the word 'Holocaust' is is wholly inappropriate.
                                              It's the sort of misuse of language and the triumph of emotion over analysis that gave us Trump.
                                              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                My former PhD student (former as he's a doctor now) was a priest for 20 years. He said he woke up one day and thought 'well isn't this a load of bollocks' and then he had to go through the long process of leaving the church. Yikes: 20 fcking years.
                                                My former rector used to be a Catholic priest (uncle to quite a famous rugby player).

In true Fr Ted fashion, he got posted to a parish in Las Vegas and as he said himself, 'got interested in women'. Cue transfer to the other team.

Comment

In other news, Survivor is back Wed Night.
                                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

Watching team sky,Sir Druggo ,team GB and Mo's pretty little picture get dismantled in slow motion is beautiful stuff,just truly something to savour

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                      Had my first bunsen burger tonight. Burger was top notch cooked medium, helped by riggers advice of not doubling up as the single is plenty, hand cut chips were meh, service was woefully bad. Would go again cos the burger is worth a return and I hope I just caught the bad service on an off night and that's not the norm.
                                                      School boy error not going for the sweet potato fries. They are delish.

Never actually had food in the restaurant, have always collected for take away but anytime I go in, it is always packed so would hope the service would be decent but you never know with hipsters!

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

But they were not deliberately exterminated. There was no campaign of organised murder. That's why using the word 'Holocaust' is is wholly inappropriate.
                                                        It's the sort of misuse of language and the triumph of emotion over analysis that gave us Trump.
                                                        This is what actual victims have to say.
                                                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
                                                          All my family are relatively devote catholics, I never attend church myself outside of funerals and weddings etc but outside of a tiny period of time when first reading Dawkins when I thought people who were religious were stupid I've never once brought the topic up and would never look down on someone who is religious.
                                                          I don't that any stats to back it up, but I've always assumed that atheists were on average of slightly higher intelligence.
                                                          But the problem with that, is that some people appear to believe that the act of declaring their atheism, increases intelligence in itself.

Comment

Isn't that the starting point for just about all religons?
                                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                              School boy error not going for the sweet potato fries. They are delish.

Never actually had food in the restaurant, have always collected for take away but anytime I go in, it is always packed so would hope the service would be decent but you never know with hipsters!
                                                              They seem to have a very particular hiring policy.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                  This is what actual victims have to say.
                                                                  I think thats the kind be emotional reaction RD is talking about.
                                                                  They are making the claims of genocide based based on discovery of the bodies (which is the normal reaction to something so horrible imo), not on the how they died. The people lodging the complaint werent at Tuam afaik.

I don't know enough about the specifics of Tuam to know if RD is right. But I think I understand the point he's making. A murder vrs negligent mansluagter thing.

Comment

So's your face a 14 year old times ten m8

Comment

James Lowe looks like a very good signing for Leinster

Comment

But if we're living in a simulation, whoever created it must also be living in a simulation. It's Simception.
                                                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

What bin companies are the cheapest in Dublin?

Currently getting fleeced with nappy weight disposal!

On average €13 every 2 weeks, cant blame them as can barely get the thing out to the front, tis like a bi-weekly trip to the gym

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                            What bin companies are the cheapest in Dublin?

Currently getting fleeced with nappy weight disposal!

On average €13 every 2 weeks, cant blame them as can barely get the thing out to the front, tis like a bi-weekly trip to the gym
                                                                            Thorntons are €9.90 per black bin every 2 week
                                                                            Will take all the shite you can throw at them
                                                                            Free Green bin
                                                                            Brown bin is €4.60 per lift

Why not set up a compost Heap in the back garden you will be able to grow lovely flowers with

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                              I think thats the kind be emotional reaction RD is talking about.
                                                                              They are making the claims of genocide based based on discovery of the bodies (which is the normal reaction to something so horrible imo), not on the how they died. The people lodging the complaint werent at Tuam afaik.

I don't know enough about the specifics of Tuam to know if RD is right. But I think I understand the point he's making. A murder vrs negligent mansluagter thing.
                                                                              Everyone: read this. It lays out the facts.

Key phrase:
                                                                              We do know, thanks to Ms Corless’s research, that the General Registrar’s Office has records relating to the deaths of 796 children at the Tuam home during the 36 years in which it was open. The death certificates indicate the children died from a variety of natural causes.

Comment

Originally posted by jack90210 View Post
                                                                                If he is teaching in a Catholic school I would assume his job could be in danger for that.
                                                                                and that in itself is insane
                                                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Everyone: read this. It lays out the facts.

Key phrase:
                                                                                  Meaningless really.
                                                                                  Some bastards die in the poor home, and I doubt any local registrar is going to investigate too much. Probably close enough to self certification of the relevant forms by the nuns.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                    Meaningless really.
                                                                                    Some bastards die in the poor home, and I doubt any local registrar is going to investigate too much. Probably close enough to self certification of the relevant forms by the nuns.
                                                                                    Maybe so. Nobody challenged the church in those days.

Kinda telling though that the historian who uncovered the whole thing fully agrees the children died of natural causes.

Comment

Maybe so. Nobody challenged the church in those days.

Kinda telling though that the historian who uncovered the whole thing fully agrees the children died of natural causes.
                                                                                      Where does she say that, all I see is in that article is her stating the facts (796 death certs stating natural causes) without any indication as to whether she fully agrees those certs to be truthful.

Comment

Thank you.

I don't believe they were deliberately and systemically murdered.

They have been mistreated, we know this well from all that has come out recently. They were housed in poor conditions, sometimes abused and possibly suffered from malnutrition. They suffered from social stigmatisation. Their own families in many cases turned their backs on them. All in an Irish state dominated by catholic conservatism.

I dunno do, you reckon after the first hundred and fifty or so, they might have thought they may need to change their approach? How close to not giving a shit is murder?
                                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I believe in soulmates, fairies and miracles.

I don't believe in the Catholic church.

Do you ever wonder what Ireland would have been like if we had remained pagans and Gaels etc?

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                            I dunno do, you reckon after the first hundred and fifty or so, they might have thought they may need to change their approach? How close to not giving a shit is murder?
                                                                                            There was systematic manslaughter. At the very least.

Comment

North Korea has fired 4 missiles into the sea off Japan. https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0306/85...h-korea-fires/

Comment

It's systematic cruelty. If a father or a mother had been caught with their kids bodies in the back yard in a septic tank ..what would happen???

How many more babies will be put under the hawthorn trees?

And no record of how the mothers were treated etc because we know. It's time we had to guts to repeal the 8th. Also Tusla ...more scandal there?

Why hide bodies ....if it was all so innocent?
                                                                                                Last edited by Guest; 06-03-17, 11:43.

Comment

Ah look I don't think anyone is suggesting that there was a Sister Pugnacious roaming the corridors at night snuffing out the lives of kids she believed were inferior. It's inferred in the genocide comments but I think they are they are just getting a bit carried away.
                                                                                                  The numbers point towards a level of depravation, neglect and general misery that would inevitably lead to the much higher rates of mortality in these awful places.
                                                                                                  We can enquire and tribunalise until we are sick and broke but the truth is there are very few people left alive who can explain and far fewer who would, what they were thinking at the time.
                                                                                                  We all know the truth. We were a failed little bannana republic who were governed almost solely by the guy whose father 'fixed the road' or shot the brits , a republic where we the people choose to contract out entire tracts of the function of the state to a body that was competing with the state for authority and tithes.
                                                                                                  When in modern times the state did take over those functions they continue, as we see yet again this week in Waterford, to fail spectacularly at basic child protection.
                                                                                                  Of course we need to remember and memoralise properly all the terrible things that happened in the laundries, and most importantly open up all available information to those who are personally affected. But none of that is going to help the other Grace's who are not being looked after by the state. Neither will it help the urgent task of seperating our schools from the ownership of the churches those are the kinds of things we have to focus our attention on.
                                                                                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Fantasy Premier League

Being playing the game years. But only noticed this recently.

Play in a couple of leagues where there is a MOTM prize. Including here. Apparently you can make multiple transfers in the last week of one month(phase as referenced to in the rules) and the hits don't count.

So you could have made 10 transfers going into this weeks gameweek and the 36 point hit doesn't count towards March MOTM.

Obviously it contradicts your team going well for overall league. But some cunt that cleaned up the last couple of months in another league is saying he's not breaking any rules and continues to scoop.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                                                                      Being playing the game years. But only noticed this recently.

Play in a couple of leagues where there is a MOTM prize. Including here. Apparently you can make multiple transfers in the last week of one month(phase as referenced to in the rules) and the hits don't count.

So you could have made 10 transfers going into this weeks gameweek and the 36 point hit doesn't count towards March MOTM.

Obviously it contradicts your team going well for overall league. But some cunt that cleaned up the last couple of months in another league is saying he's not breaking any rules and continues to scoop.

Anyone have any thoughts?
                                                                                                      It's an annoying loophole but not much you can do - would become awful messy if you tried to come up with a different monthly winner than what the game itself declares.
                                                                                                      Trick really for next season is to encourage people running them to not have monthly prizes at all, or only a couple of them at selected times, or a very small prize relative to the overall buy-in.

Comment

One monthly prize per person per season.

Comment

@aj, sitting top 200 in the gameweek with 5 to play again with one triple captained. Martin's indi getting injured was a blow but here's hoping for a football m8's.

Only four games next weeks, that is gonna be a fun one
                                                                                                          Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                                                                                            @aj, sitting top 200 in the gameweek with 5 to play again with one triple captained. Martin's indi getting injured was a blow but here's hoping for a football m8's.

Only four games next weeks, that is gonna be a fun one
                                                                                                            I believe in you, reckon you'll be dogged enough to keep going til you bink one. And then not even collect the prize cause it wasn't the point.

T200 sounds a difficult spot to win from this week though, bound to be people ahead who effectively have you snookered.

I'd have thought BB is normally a better strategy than TC?
                                                                                                            edit : prob not in a DGW.
                                                                                                            Last edited by ArmaniJeans; 06-03-17, 12:51.

Comment

I couldn't help thinking last week when looking at Gorse Hill that it would be such a mental, physical and financial burden living in and looking after a place like that.

[Chapter from Skin in the Game] The salesman is the boss — How to drink poison — Advertising and manipulation

Comment

I believe in you, reckon you'll be dogged enough to keep going til you bink one. And then not even collect the prize cause it wasn't the point.

T200 sounds a difficult spot to win from this week though, bound to be people ahead who effectively have you snookered.

I'd have thought BB is normally a better strategy than TC?
                                                                                                                edit : prob not in a DGW.
                                                                                                                I have only entered maybe 3 teams tbh, just gameweeks that I'm doing well in. Think I'm like 128th at the moment with sane triple captained so I'll unlikely get top 10 but I'll take top 100 for a start.
                                                                                                                I'm gonna win one of these fuckers, I think next week.

Dgw and short weeks I'll triple captained, the rear I'll boost. Don't feel like bb'ing with only 4 games, picking 4 teams to win and go all in.

After I win this, wsop bracelet this summer is next. Ez game.
                                                                                                                Go big or go homeless.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Where does she say that, all I see is in that article is her stating the facts (796 death certs stating natural causes) without any indication as to whether she fully agrees those certs to be truthful.
                                                                                                                      She's the person who fought long and hard to uncover this. If she thought it was murder, she would have said so.

Comment

Originally posted by PeaceandFire View Post
                                                                                                                        I believe in soulmates, fairies and miracles.

I don't believe in the Catholic church.

Do you ever wonder what Ireland would have been like if we had remained pagans and Gaels etc?
                                                                                                                        I dont need to wonder, have seen The Wicker Man.
                                                                                                                        No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

She's the person who fought long and hard to uncover this. If she thought it was murder, she would have said so.
                                                                                                                          I don't think accusing the catholic church of murder would be a good move for anyone. As you say she had to fight long and hard just to prove that they weren't 19th century famine victims.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X