This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
    The linked finance system is an auction. They aren't accepting bids of 15%, all bids are automatically accepted until 100% of the loan amount has been pledged. Then as more money is pledges the system automatically rejects the highest bidders. You can bid from between 7 to 15%. The cornucopia auction will end up being massively oversubscribed so they will end up with a very low average interest rate. Once the auction is over the borrower will be told what their APR is and they can choose to decline or accept it.
    Cool so basically wait until the end.Wonder how it works out the best ones, is 50e @14% better than 1000 euro at 15%, I guess they just make sure it all adds up to the amount they want. LIke that guy that bid 2k@15%, you just go 2k@14.9% and he doesn't invest

What's your experience with the site so far, use it much?

Comment

How do non-tech companies view naps? When I eventually transition to the real world will they likely frown on my afternoon nap habit?

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Business View Post
        Is it 23+4+ >13= thumbs up?

or 24 + >13
        It's 23 + >/= 12 to stay under the radar,so to speak (but only 4 of these can be self-certified and none can be a Saturday). All of the other 8 require a visit to the Doctor. Sundays can be taken, but as Sunday is double time, you effectively lose a days money.

Just had a look through the Linked finance thing, and of all the "Live" loans, the first prospective Lender, Username Kerryboy, is putting up €250 @ 6.5% to all the applicants. Does this mean that he's probably guaranteed to be one of the accepted Lenders, but is he not giving up some potential return by not at least looking for the 7.5 - 8% average target rate wanted by the borrower. ?
        Last edited by Fiery Wasabi; 07-07-15, 16:46.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
          As is the nature of human conversation however, I picked up on this post as a phenomenon I've encountered before: people wearing lack of sick days as a badge of honour. Taking it one step further, I even had a friend who last year failed to utilise 10 of his 20 days holiday allocation and was almost proud to note that he was 'too busy to take all his annual leave'.
          This always makes me laugh. Imagine someone bragging about turning down 10 days pay because they loved the work so much.
          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
            This always makes me laugh. Imagine someone bragging about turning down 10 days pay because they loved the work so much.
            They were too important

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
              Re - Sick Days / Holidays

Canada,or at least where I work, has the opposite view to the Irish Public Service. You get 20 days holidays a year (with the option to purchase more lol) and IF you take a sick day, it comes off your entitlement.

To be fair though, if we are feeling under the weather or need a William Foster day then we are encouraged to work from home and the day isn't taken from your holidays. Quite lenient with it too which is awesome as no one really abuses it. They provide everyone with laptops for this very reason. Don't bring your illness or bad attitude (...so Canadian) to the office is the rule.
              I quite like working from home, I do it a fair bit when doing overnights etc.
              However, the only problem is I tend to actually spend longer working due to Catholic guilt about not being in work.
              It also doesnt help my missus sees me working from home as a perfect excuse for me to do a shitload of chores.
              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                How do non-tech companies view naps? When I eventually transition to the real world will they likely frown on my afternoon nap habit?
                Not sure if you're serious or not, but one of our software guys used to always have a snooze after lunch until about 2.30. Nobody ever bothered him. I always admired him for it, but never got into the habit myself.

I doubt it's common outside tech companies though.

Comment

They'll think you are hungover. ul.
                  This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

I think I didn't go work one day since Jan 3rd or whenever we went back after Christmas. Not being a hero, but I enjoy it and if there's something I'm not in the mood for I can always find something to be fixing or playing around with.
                    I'm not sure I'd know what to do if I stayed at home. I do piss off to play golf one afternoon a week during the summer when there aren't any students around though.
                    Academia is a strange one because basically no one would even notice if you didn't show up from July to the end of September (with the exception of the repeats). This is the time when all of the research gets done and the proposals for grants get written though and if you don't keep that stuff up, your chances of permanency and progression up the ranks are very poor.
                    I assume that's what Hitch was talking about when he was bemoaning being forced to take 12 weeks off every year. I think the flexibility makes it unnecessary to take mental health days but I could definitely imagine doing it if I had to work set hours every day doing something I didn't enjoy.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                            Isn't that the same thing wrapped up in a different package?
                            Not really

I thnk they look at it as being an incentive to not taking a sick day rather than giving people sick days, if that makes sense.

Give people the option to take sick days when they are not sick and they will most definetely take them, whereas reward them for not ringing in sick when they are ok. It's a subtle difference but a difference none the less, I think anyways

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                              What's your experience with the site so far, use it much?
                              I enjoy the whole experience, its very interesting reading about different businesses and people often ask very good questions. If you spend a bit of time on it you can learn to get some pretty good interest rates.

The amount you earn in the long run will be the Average APR you get less the fees and %of companies that go bust. For this reason you are best of investing a small amount in as many businesses as you can to reduce your variance. The fees aren't that big, I think HRH misunderstood something. I can post up how much the fees work out later if anyone is interested in (I think its about 1% of the total loan from memory)

The whole thing is a great deal for the lenders, they also get free advertising. I bought a bike this week in a shop I only know about because I invested in it.

A lot of the lenders seem to be brain dead with regard to the interest rate they bid which is great for people borrowing money and for those who game the system a little bit.

Comment

If accepted do you get the % you bid? Or is it like a gov bond auction where everyone gets the the interest rate of the highest bid that was accepted?

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                  Not really

I thnk they look at it as being an incentive to not taking a sick day rather than giving people sick days, if that makes sense.

Give people the option to take sick days when they are not sick and they will most definetely take them, whereas reward them for not ringing in sick when they are ok. It's a subtle difference but a difference none the less, I think anyways
                                  Not everybody takes their full quota of sick days and AFAIK Dublin Bus also have a reward system in place for that too (or at least the used to). I am out of there 13 years so I am not sure if they still have it.
                                  I never qualified for the reward though .

I think solksjar mentioned taking sick days for golf (in jest I know) but you are jeopardizing your job if you are seen out and about on a day you take off sick. There have been plenty of guys sacked for that sort of thing.

The way I see it, having a limited number of self certified sick days help when a driver is having an off day, and you could also call it a perk if you like.

The alternative to having these days means you have to go to the doctor to take a sick day, then your doctor might suggest taking a 2 or 3 days off when realistically you only need one. Not many people need a doctor when they are just a little under the weather or maybe have a back twinge and need to chill out for a day.
                                  Do this 2 or 3 times per year and it adds up to more than if you have the single self certified days.

Comment

I picked a seriously bad day to read this place. I am at the end of my tether with night shift and I would go as far as saying im depressed going in each night. I have never taken a sick day but over the last few weeks it was all I wanted to do every night going in. I dont think I will feel as bad if I take one in the next few weeks before I get off nights.
                                    Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                      Davey Byrne got a bad doing... At a challenge match sounds crazy
                                      In an incident prior to throw in. Wtf.

Comment

Originally posted by gorrrr72 View Post
                                        I am not denying that the technology is there and it could be fastracked in a short space of time. I am talking about how long it will actually take.

Even if legislation wasn't a stumbling block, a trucking company would have to invest heavily in the new technology. And if a company decided to replace it's drivers, do you think that professional drivers would sit back and let it happen? French people may be surrender monkeys but when it comes to fcuking with the trucking business the drivers would bring Europe to a standstill.
                                        Lol, don't underestimate the French drivers.

Comment

Aldi super 6 from Thursday is pretty ridiculous. Will actually be difficult to spend 50 quid up there to take advantage of the 10 euro off voucher

Courgette 400g
                                          Cherry Tomatoes 250g
                                          Kiwi 6 pk
                                          Scallions bunch
                                          Cucumber each
                                          Rhubarb bunch................All 29c

Sirloin Steak 202g
                                          Beef Burgers with Cheese Melt 332g
                                          Homestyle Beef Burgers 454g
                                          Chicken Thighs & Drums 1kg
                                          Seasoned Portions Chilli & Garlic Wings/Lemon Pepper Thighs 500g/650g
                                          BBQ Bacon Belly Strips/Bacon Sizzlers/Bacon Chops/Bacon Medallions 400g/400g/340g/300g.......................All €2

Comment

Isn't that the same thing wrapped up in a different package?
                                            The kids were with their grandparents for the weekend and I got a similar response from my wife when I attempted to make the most of the situation and get 'creative' after a few glasses of wine.

Comment

Being self-employed is such a different world
                                              You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                              World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

If accepted do you get the % you bid? Or is it like a gov bond auction where everyone gets the the interest rate of the highest bid that was accepted?
                                                Yeah, you get the % you bid. So a lot of people on the site who routinely bid 6% get very bad deals.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                  Thanks for noting I was 'missing the point', but if you read my post again you will find my first paragraph notes the issue of tracking your sick days as an entitlement and uses the word "abhorrent" in relation to same.
                                                  I was more referring to your point about people being her hero's for not taking a sick day during the year but point taken

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd
                                                  I even had a friend who last year failed to utilise 10 of his 20 days holiday allocation and was almost proud to note that he was 'too busy to take all his annual leave'
                                                  That's just stupid. I have on occasion finished up the year with 2/3 days not used once or twice before but that was mainly due to having no holidays planned and not wanting to waste the days by doing nothing. They were always carried forward and used in Jan on a long weekend away. That has changed now as we are no longer allowed carry time forward so all holidays are taken in each calendar year

I thankfully worked through this stuff a few years ago. In 2012 I killed myself in work for a year on a project that ultimately failed. I decided my health was more important.
                                                  I agree with you here. In the past, I have put in ridiculous hours and got nothing from, it acknowledgement or payment so I have cut back greatly on the hours I do but still probably work more hours than most / I should

Tar describing days where you call in sick because you can't face it "mental health days" is spot on imo. Society is coming around to talking about mental health and encouraging people to speak up when they don't feel okay. I don't have any mental health condition (I don't think ), but I have days where the mind isn't up to dealing with stress and on those rare occasions I'm happy to take a mulligan as it were. I don't think that makes me a lazy bollocks either or mean that I feel entitled to get paid at the end of month without getting the work done.
                                                  Agree that we should all be looking after our mental health but for me, even if I don't feel up for work due to stress, etc, I still go in. Partly because I know other people have to pick up for me being missing but partly because I feel better for going in and working through it rather than sitting at home for the day, horses for courses.

Comment

Originally posted by Fiery Wasabi View Post
                                                    LOL, now you are trolling..

On another note, was just watching Sharapova win her match on centre court, Jesus Christ her screaming on every shot is just fucking tilting. Although Azerenka,who's just starting is apparently worse.
                                                    Ah here, just use your imagination close your eyes and enjoy the wimmins tennis.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Got bitten by a mozzie in the soft spot behind my ear last night.

Sonofabitch is itchy as hell. People are gonna think I have headlice.
                                                          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Thanks Hector, looks addictive.

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                            After this evening I've now seen three car crashes in six weeks here, vs not being able to remember a single one in Dublin. Reassuringly implied lax standards for those of us who need to pass a driving test here. Insurance must cost a fortune though.
                                                            Its's shocking. Most of what I noticed in Paris was the hot girls and the terrible driving. A guy cycling in the middle of 6 lanes with a cat on his shoulder seemed one of the more sane people.

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Kev, thoughts / info on this:

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                @ Lloyd - disagree we should simply stop funding athletics entirely. There are some up and coming strong performers that could do well at Rio

Conor McCullough: World Junior Champion in Hammer (2010), World Junior Silver (2008)

Kate Veale (Race Walking): World Youth Champion (2011); 4th place in Youth Olympic Games (2010)

Mark English (800m): 5th place at World Junior Championships (2012)....2 of the medallists in that event went on to win Olympic medals in London, showing how brilliant Mark did to come 5th against a top class field, not just at junior level.

Ciara Mageean (1,500m): Silver at World Junior Championships (2010).

Then you also can take into account Laura Reynolds and Brendan Boyce, both 21 and both getting PB's in London, and of course Rob Heffernan.

The key is to ensure that the right athletes are getting the funding. I agree with you that the correct decision was made not to send 'B' qualfied athletes and in fact have heard that for Rio the Irish athletics federation are to tighten qualification further and only send athletes who have made the 'A' standard in the year of the games, even though the qualification begins 2 years beforehand, in an effort to ensure only those with recent form get to go.
                                                                @Kev: how's this crop getting on as we move within a year of Rio?

Two athletes that turned in promising performances in Rio were:

Annailise Murphy, finished 4th in Lasar Radial sailing; currently ranked 12th in the world and won the 2013 European Championship
                                                                Natalya Coyle, finished 9th in the modern Penthatlon; currently ranked 51st in the world
                                                                "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Haven't had nearly enough time of late to be following the younger athletes closely Lloyd. I do know Natalya Could and Arthur Lanigan O Keffee have been performing v well in the modern pentathlon mixed relay, silver in the world cup in June and 4th in world champs last weekend

Comment

Get your own here ⇒ http://bit.ly/BuyBackwardsBike ⇐ Shirt: https://goo.gl/doOG3GI give talks: http://www.smartereveryday.com/appearances Patreon Support Li...

Opr

Comment

Aldi super 6 from Thursday is pretty ridiculous. Will actually be difficult to spend 50 quid up there to take advantage of the 10 euro off voucher

Courgette 400g
                                                                      Cherry Tomatoes 250g
                                                                      Kiwi 6 pk
                                                                      Scallions bunch
                                                                      Cucumber each

Sirloin Steak 202g
                                                                      BBQ Bacon Belly Strips/Bacon Sizzlers/Bacon Chops/Bacon Medallions 400g/400g/340g/300g.......................All €2
                                                                      25 bags of chilli garlic wings and you're sorted

Comment

...On the Linkedfinance...Have to say so far I think it's brilliant...I've been doing it about 18 months, and I'm averaging about 11% interest. And to add, a friend of mine has had just over 100 bids and as of yet, none of them have failed/been delayed.. 3 of them paid back early as well... If you have money lying in a bank account, I think it's a much better option...

Comment

Courgette 400g
                                                                          Cherry Tomatoes 250g
                                                                          Kiwi 6 pk
                                                                          Scallions bunch
                                                                          Cucumber each

Sirloin Steak 202g
                                                                          Worst meat in the Supermarket game m8

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                            True Detective Ep3

SPOILER
                                                                            I'm out. That episode was laughably bad. I was actually laughing at times as it veered into so bad it's good territory. The acting and dialogue in parts was like something from a straight to DVD movie. Such a massive disappointment.

Opr
                                                                            SPOILER
                                                                            I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.
                                                                            I'm loving TD this year.
                                                                            Rays fatherhood issues
                                                                            Franks fertility
                                                                            Pauls Sexuality (he's gay, obviously)
                                                                            Ani's e-cig is becoming quite the phallic symbol.
                                                                            The fake macho accent of the mayors son
                                                                            It's a nice to expose all the masks of masculinity even your mans teeth fall into this.
                                                                            The killer wears a mask, the guy burning the car wears a mask....
                                                                            Also we got got Conway fucking Twitty!!
                                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Wha? They are custom-and-practice extra holidays if you don't need them for being sick. Don't see how that's any sort of big deal. So rather than holiday entitlement being 24 days, or whatever, the holidays are 24+4, of which 4 may be needed for sickness and maybe not.
                                                                              It's not just Ireland. I spent just under a year working in Auckland council and you get 10 sick days there. Nobody even tried to hide what they were used for, total open secret that people took them for holidays. I never took a sick day, even 1 day when I probably should, and they basically regarded me as the greatest employee ever.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                SPOILER
                                                                                I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.
                                                                                I'm loving TD this year.
                                                                                Rays fatherhood issues
                                                                                Franks fertility
                                                                                Pauls Sexuality (he's gay, obviously)
                                                                                Ani's e-cig is becoming quite the phallic symbol.
                                                                                The fake macho accent of the mayors son
                                                                                It's a nice to expose all the masks of masculinity even your mans teeth fall into this.
                                                                                The killer wears a mask, the guy burning the car wears a mask....
                                                                                Also we got got Conway fucking Twitty!!
                                                                                Best episode yet.

Comment

Comment

...

Comment

EU leaders have given Greece until Sunday to reach an agreement or face bankruptcy and collapse of its banking sector, announcing a summit of all 28 leaders for Sunday

Looking like Varoufakis jumped off a sinking ship.

Comment

tempting

Comment

...

Comment

Your getting ready to leave the house so you press a button on your phone and your car gets itself out of the garage and is waiting for you outside the door. This is proper 'the future' stuff!
                                                                                            Meh, having a house, a car, and a garage for said car, is future stuff for most people.
                                                                                            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

EU leaders have given Greece until Sunday to reach an agreement or face bankruptcy and collapse of its banking sector, announcing a summit of all 28 leaders for Sunday
                                                                                              There is no way that he can agree a deal. The only deal that can be available is one with stricter guidelines than he just told his people to vote No to, and they did!

Mental.

Comment

Lol, don't underestimate the French drivers.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/...107.1436288342
                                                                                                I called an Uber in Milan yesterday from a taxi rank near a hotel and the driver called me to ask me walk around the corner, I assumed that that was because of the traffic but it turns out he is afraid to be pulling up beside taxis

20 minute ride in a Merc with a bottle of water and service with a smile was €12 taxi would have been closer to €20!
                                                                                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                                      Got bitten by a mozzie in the soft spot behind my ear last night.

Sonofabitch is itchy as hell. People are gonna think I have headlice.
                                                                                                      Note to Honda:
                                                                                                      Please have a word with the cunt on security in terminal 2 who fucked out my bottle of deet because it was in a 110ml bottle even though it was less than 25% full.
                                                                                                      Got eaten alive by mossies last night, 10+ swollen spots right now WP that officious prick

Comment

Need to quote that Comical Ali post again.

"Agreement on Monday"
                                                                                                        "Banks will reopen!"

That they had no proposals to even bring to the table today was ludicrous.

Comment

Need to quote that Comical Ali post again.

"Agreement on Monday"
                                                                                                          "Banks will reopen!"

That they had no proposals to even bring to the table today was ludicrous.
                                                                                                          I think its gas that they had a powerpoint presentation with speech notes written on hotel headed paper.

Gives college student the world over a real life example of the importance of the skills gained from their hungover early morning Business Org classes.

Comment

Have been a contractor for the last 3.5 years, no sick days and no holiday pay. If you don't work you basically don't get paid. I would have to be extremely sick not to work, but I did have the option to work from home as well so that help on those days where you can't get out of bed! In oz they do have a thing that if you are an employee that you can take 10 days off per year for basically any reason at all which is in addition to your 20 days holidays.

I remember been up in Brisbane for the Australia day weekend 2 years ago and there was a really bad storm with some serious flooding. Jetstar cancelled our flight back to Sydney and they told us the next available flight with them to Sydney was 2 days later like it was something normal and acceptable.
                                                                                                            Was there with my wife, good friend and his wife, my friend worked in the same company as me and we both were getting paid a day rate so missing a day off was going to cost us both a fair bit. We decieded that we would rent a jeep and drive the 1000km or so back to Sydney. After about 2 hours down the road with me being the only driver we came to a police road block and they told us that the only road home has just been flooded and we had to drive back to Brisbane again.
                                                                                                            Still not giving up we booked into an hotel and got the 5:30am flight back to Sydney and made it into work for 9am, boss did appreciate the effort and let me put in an extra day to cover the costs

Comment

Something I really shouldn't care about but I found my self very disappointed to see a temporary hoarding around Milan Cathedral. Its one thing to turn the church into a commercial venture and I know I have no business having an opinion on what the Catholics do with their church but turning such a magnificent building into an advertising hoarding while at the same time turning away women visitors whose shoulders are uncovered seems completely messed up to me.

Comment

Not everybody takes their full quota of sick days and AFAIK Dublin Bus also have a reward system in place for that too (or at least the used to). I am out of there 13 years so I am not sure if they still have it.
                                                                                                                I never qualified for the reward though
                                                                                                                Didn't know you worked in BAC... What garage were you in? Marked-in?
                                                                                                                The Sick bonus scheme is gone a few years now, you qualified for it if you had 8 or less days off in the year previous, from November, to the cut-off point in October. They still have a safe driving bonus, but not worth talking about.

Comment

You are jeopardizing your job if you are seen out and about on a day you take off sick. There have been plenty of guys sacked for that sort of thing.
                                                                                                                  You could be sacked for going outside after calling in sick???? You've been reading too much Dickens mate.
                                                                                                                  Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Fiery Wasabi View Post
                                                                                                                    Didn't know you worked in BAC... What garage were you in? Marked-in?
                                                                                                                    The Sick bonus scheme is gone a few years now, you qualified for it if you had 8 or less days off in the year previous, from November, to the cut-off point in October. They still have a safe driving bonus, but not worth talking about.
                                                                                                                    All cyclists would have guessed this!

Comment

Originally posted by kpnuts View Post
                                                                                                                      All cyclists would have guessed this!
                                                                                                                      Have a bad experience ?

Comment

Something I really shouldn't care about but I found my self very disappointed to see a temporary hoarding around Milan Cathedral. Its one thing to turn the church into a commercial venture and I know I have no business having an opinion on what the Catholics do with their church but turning such a magnificent building into an advertising hoarding while at the same time turning away women visitors whose shoulders are uncovered seems completely messed up to me.
                                                                                                                        Probably only there until the renovations are complete. Could very well be paying for them.
                                                                                                                        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
                                                                                                                          ...On the Linkedfinance...Have to say so far I think it's brilliant...I've been doing it about 18 months, and I'm averaging about 11% interest. And to add, a friend of mine has had just over 100 bids and as of yet, none of them have failed/been delayed.. 3 of them paid back early as well... If you have money lying in a bank account, I think it's a much better option...
                                                                                                                          Agreed on the above. I have user experience on both sides and have found it an excellent service. As a lender some things to consider:- 1. of course you are taking a bigger risk than placing the monies in a bank hence the higher return (averages 10%) 2. you are getting your monies back monthly over 36 months
                                                                                                                          As a borrower it is simply way less hassle and much speedier than current banking loan approval processes while not being a whole lot more expensive. I believe that this type of 'crowd lending' will be a growing competitor to the banking sector over the next 12 months.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X