This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
    10 minutes is pretty standard so don't worry too much. Remember everyone in the room loves you, is already pretty drunk and all want you to do well. Beyond that you have one or two absolute guaranteed applause lines.

1. The first time you say "on behalf of mywife and I"
    2. The first time you reference the wedding night
    3. Any moment you pause to get serious for a second and look at your new bride and say something sweet.

Beyond that you just need to thank everyone, say something about how her parents were always lovely to you but the father kept you on the straight and narrow, reference how much your parents have done for you and how much you appreciate it, say something fun about the stag and the bunch of charlatans who organised it but how they're scrubbed up at least blah blah blah. End with a lovely story about your bride -preferably with a sweet punchline - and then toast her. Something like "Just before I ask you all to raise a toast to my bride I'd like to thank one last person and that is (insert bride's name). Everyone here gets to share the start of our marriage but only I get to live it with you. (pause) Please raise your glasses to my beautiful wife - to (insert bride's name)".

/Drop mic
    That's pretty close to what I ended up at, cheers Keith. I'm not a nervous speaker so I'll be grand generally I'd say. I might adopt the drop mic bit though for a dramatic finish.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
      That's pretty close to what I ended up at, cheers Keith. I'm not a nervous speaker so I'll be grand generally I'd say. I might adopt the drop mic bit though for a dramatic finish.
      Have a cushion prepared - they're not cheap! Best of luck Dom
      You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
      World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
        You can use this Tom.

As i look around the room today and see the effort everyone made i have to say i see class...working class.

People love being insulted.
        This too shall pass.

Comment

Best of luck Dom you still in same place not seen you in an age.

Comment

Which one of yous is this guy?

Comment

eating mnms
              X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
              Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Jesus wept! Thought LA was warm, but now as am in Vegas can see I was very very wrong. Vegas is roasting. It is night and it.is 39 oC.

#melting
                No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

There was time Kev would at least threaten a ban for the above post.
                  airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by welk_in View Post
                    Which one of yous is this guy?

fairly sure that's Fintan Hand. What's with all the questions, are you a cop?
                    Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Or you know, do something different than a template version given to you.
                      Last edited by Lord Sir Banter; 03-07-15, 06:07.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                        Jesus wept! Thought LA was warm, but now as am in Vegas can see I was very very wrong. Vegas is roasting. It is night and it.is 39 oC.

#melting
                        defo have good aircon in vegas m8

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                        There was time Kev would at least threaten a ban for the above post.
                        wotchu on bout

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Business View Post
                          defo have good aircon in vegas m8

wotchu on bout
                          Just bustin balls
                          airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                            I have a brick of Zimbo dollars at home. Always gives the kids a laugh.

'Daddy, can I have a hundred million dollars please?'

'Sure, here ya go.'
                            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                #notesfromacrossthesea

Thought this was rather cool in the public library yesterday. A range of games that you can borrow (and there's loads more than just in the picture).

Has anyone been to the Dun Laoighaire new library? I'd imagine that has a similar setup.
                                DL library is fantastic although it would want to be given the €30m price tag. Still seems paper book centric though.

Have you arranged lunch yet?

Comment

@Hitch

DL library is very nice but still a bit all over the place. Not sure about games but for example a lot of kids books are just thrown in 'bins' and you sort through them. not sure how you would find a specific book you want.

@Dom

Very best of luck with the nuptials. Enjoy the day, it goes pretty fast.

Comment

#notesfromacrossthesea

Thought this was rather cool in the public library yesterday. A range of games that you can borrow (and there's loads more than just in the picture).

Has anyone been to the Dun Laoighaire new library? I'd imagine that has a similar setup, where the idea of a library being just about borrowing books is a historical artifact.

Going to a giant street dominoes tonight. 7,000 concrete slabs stretching over 2.5km. You'd somewhat question whether that's a valid use of taxpayers money.
                                    Any chance you finish the sheep game?
                                    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                      DL library is fantastic although it would want to be given the €30m price tag. Still seems paper book centric though.

Have you arranged lunch yet?
                                      I stood in the library for about 10 mins looking at the automatic book return system, with conveyor belts bring the books back to big wheelie bins. Men eh

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 03-07-15, 08:07.

Comment

Comment

...like ferrous animals...

Comment

I've given it thought! The problem is we haven't been anywhere sufficiently excellent to justify the lunchstop, and the guy in the office drew a blank. There is an outside possibility that you might be interested in though.

Parc des Gayeulles is a huge park here. It's rather spectacularly set up with things like a farm with little deer running around and myriad other entertainments.

Lakeside place for refreshments in the middle of the forest. (the pictures don't do it credit)

Tonnes of play areas, including a rather fun pool. (albeit with a Heathrowesque queuing system for the pool)

Its core advantage is that it has freely available BBQ pits, and quite a lot of them, all beside the play areas and the lake.

So a potential plan, if this floats your boat - we could meet there and we'll bring the BBQ stuff. Kids run around the forest like ferrous animals and hopefully climb back in the car prepped to sleep for a few hours.

Haven't really done it credit with the pics, its a great place.
                                              Looks good. I will run it by da management!

Comment

Comment

Getting blood tests this morning to confirm I am healthier than everybody and sustain my feeling of self satisfaction and he springs "which arm would you like it in?" Cue me thinking, hmm which arm, maybe my stronger arm, there might be more blood flow in there...but maybe the other arm will have less feeling...does it really matter? Are all the doctors here Asian? Why is he staring at me? /faints

#notesfromacrossthesea

Has anyone been to the Dun Laoighaire new library? I'd imagine that has a similar setup, where the idea of a library being just about borrowing books is a historical artifact.

Going to a giant street dominoes tonight. 7,000 concrete slabs stretching over 2.5km. You'd somewhat question whether that's a valid use of taxpayers money.
                                                  Some good games there, dobble would be fun with your family, little small party games.
                                                  Are they all in French though, anyway you can look at rules online.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                      10 minutes is pretty standard so don't worry too much. Remember everyone in the room loves you, is already pretty drunk and all want you to do well. Beyond that you have one or two absolute guaranteed applause lines.

1. The first time you say "on behalf of mywife and I"
                                                      2. The first time you reference the wedding night
                                                      3. Any moment you pause to get serious for a second and look at your new bride and say something sweet.

Beyond that you just need to thank everyone, say something about how her parents were always lovely to you but the father kept you on the straight and narrow, reference how much your parents have done for you and how much you appreciate it, say something fun about the stag and the bunch of charlatans who organised it but how they're scrubbed up at least blah blah blah. End with a lovely story about your bride -preferably with a sweet punchline - and then toast her. Something like "Just before I ask you all to raise a toast to my bride I'd like to thank one last person and that is (insert bride's name). Everyone here gets to share the start of our marriage but only I get to live it with you. (pause) Please raise your glasses to my beautiful wife - to (insert bride's name)".

/Drop mic
                                                      @DOM

The groom
                                                      Traditionally, the groom :

Thanks the father of the bride for his toast
                                                      Thanks the guests for attending and for their gifts
                                                      Thanks both sets of parents
                                                      Compliments his bride
                                                      Thanks his best man
                                                      Thanks and toasts the bridesmaid(s)
                                                      He may also toast the hosts

I think Tony said before, but at my cousins wedding the best man said to the room that he hoped the couple enjoyed their honeymoon in Wales.

And paused and added, well I think it's Wales as Gary said he was going to Bangor for two weeks

Was so funny for us but the poor Bride was mortified!

Comment

Oh and best of luck tomorrow Dom, enjoy the day and don't forget to post up a picture at some point! We just want to see your beautiful bride though

Comment

At my wedding I decided fuck the stress of having to think about a speech. I want to enjoy the day, I'm paying for it, so let other people do the talking.

Comment

I have a spare ticket to Paolo Nutini/Alabama Shakes tomorrow, wife can't go.

Face value €55, I'll take €30 if anyone wants it.

I can email it.

edit, putting on adverts now too.

edit edit, may have a last minute offer of a babysitter, I'll keep posted.
                                                            Last edited by Lazare; 03-07-15, 11:12.
                                                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                              I have a spare ticket to Paolo Nutini/Alabama Shakes tomorrow, wife can't go.

Face value €55, I'll take €30 if anyone wants it.

I can email it.

edit, putting on adverts now too.

edit edit, may have a last minute offer of a babysitter, I'll keep posted.
                                                              I'll go with you if that falls through!

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                I'll go with you if that falls through!
                                                                Coool.

I'll take it off adverts.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                  Coool.

I'll take it off adverts.
                                                                  Hold fire, thought today was Thursday - I'm some dope.

Heading to Kerry tomorrow night to see the cousin hack up inthe Munster final!

Comment

2/1 for Oxi has to be worth a punt?

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                      2/1 for Oxi has to be worth a punt?
                                                                      I think it'll be 60/40 Yes. Most media outlets bombarding them with the Yes message.

Unless they really are as nutty as voting Syriza into power would suggest in which case lumpage!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                        @DOM

The groom
                                                                        Traditionally, the groom :

Thanks the father of the bride for his toast
                                                                        Thanks the guests for attending and for their gifts
                                                                        Thanks both sets of parents
                                                                        Compliments his bride
                                                                        Thanks his best man
                                                                        Thanks and toasts the bridesmaid(s)
                                                                        He may also toast the hosts

I think Tony said before, but at my cousins wedding the best man said to the room that he hoped the couple enjoyed their honeymoon in Wales.

And paused and added, well I think it's Wales as Gary said he was going to Bangor for two weeks

Was so funny for us but the poor Bride was mortified!
                                                                        Yep, this is pretty much spot on. The grooms speech tends to have a lot of "Thanks" compared to the other speeches. Other little things are, for example, that if you toast the bridesmaids, then the best man doesn't toast them as part of his speech (although obviously he should still be complimenting them in his speech). I.e. Specific toasts shouldn't be repeated in loads of different speeches.

I would also say that there's no real pressure for your speech. It's generally not expected to be funny like the best man speech, so if you can pull off a funny speech (and it sounds like you can) then it's a bonus for your guests.

And of course, I know I only met you a few times 'back in the day', but best of luck obviously and enjoy the day.

Comment

A relation on the Kerry team?

Comment

Ah pity. No bother dude.

Comment

Originally posted by DMMurray View Post
                                                                              A relation on the Kerry team?
                                                                              Yeah Barry John is my first cousin

Comment

I think it'll be 60/40 Yes. Most media outlets bombarding them with the Yes message.

Unless they really are as nutty as voting Syriza into power would suggest in which case lumpage!
                                                                                El Stuntman would be loving this

. "We are reliably informed that the cash reserves of the banks are down to €500m. Anybody who thinks they are going to open again on Tuesday is day-dreaming. The cash would not last an hour,"
                                                                                "We are in an extremely dangerous situation. Greek companies have been excluded from the electronic transfers of Europe's Target2 system. The entire Greek business community is unable to import anything, and without raw materials they can't produce anything,"
                                                                                We don't even have enough gas. We asked for 10,000 litres but they are only letting us have 2,000. It's being rationed by the day.
                                                                                The daily allowance of cash from many ATM machines has already dropped from €60 to €50, purportedly because €20 notes are running out

Comment

Only 36% of the voters last time did this bit in fairness. And I think, though without any possible way to back it up, that if there was an election tomorrow instead of a referendum, there would be many voters who didn't turn up at the last ones out to ensure that Syriza wouldn't be back...
                                                                                  Last edited by Emmet; 03-07-15, 12:20.

Comment

Wahoo, just got a babysitter confirmed.

I was gonna head there at about 4.30, but can't leave the house now until about 6.30

Just tweeted Alabama Shakes asking could they hold on.

Comment

Yeah Barry John is my first cousin
                                                                                      Doh, of course! Best of luck on Sunday, although I know it's a long time since Cork won in Killarney so I'm guessing you're reasonably big favourites.

Personally I have a real love of Kerry football. Back in the late '90s I had a lot of Kerry buddies in college and went to a few games (some notables- Munster final against Tipp in Thurles in '98, semi against Kildare that year for the shock of the decade). Also in '99 Kerry played Kilkenny in the football league for some bizarre reason, and I was at that. That was an odd one! Anyway, my days supporting Kerry involved some of the best sessions I ever had!

Comment

Syriza tactics explained:

From what I can see the format appears to be this:

1. In the morning, after a bad night's sleep, and seeing how badly this is effecting their people, Syriza comes out with some concessions and there's talk of progress
                                                                                        2. By lunch time, bolstered by coffee and feeling better about themselves, they read about their concessions in mainstream european media
                                                                                        3. In the mid-afternoon greek sun, emboldened by their sense of moral outrage, their blood boils and they remember their principles, refuting everything said that morning
                                                                                        4. Wake up cranky after a siesta, insult half the European finance ministers and blame Germany for everything, calling their slow motion drink-driving economic car crash a right-wing European conspiracy against the left to close their banks and loot Greece.
                                                                                        Probably quite accurate!

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                          In fairness even he would have the sense not to take anything written in the Telegraph seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by DMMurray View Post
                                                                                            Doh, of course! Best of luck on Sunday, although I know it's a long time since Cork won in Killarney so I'm guessing you're reasonably big favourites.

Personally I have a real love of Kerry football. Back in the late '90s I had a lot of Kerry buddies in college and went to a few games (some notables- Munster final against Tipp in Thurles in '98, semi against Kildare that year for the shock of the decade). Also in '99 Kerry played Kilkenny in the football league for some bizarre reason, and I was at that. That was an odd one! Anyway, my days supporting Kerry involved some of the best sessions I ever had!
                                                                                            Yeah I'll be a nervous wreck before the game but fingers crossed he does ok.

We're 2 point favourites in most places which I think is a little low, would expect a 3-5 point win but I'd say it will be sticky enough.

Comment

HYPE HYPE HYPE

I was 8 hours late today, CHD takeover please.

On Episode 2 of UFC 189 Embedded, the featherweight headliners are firing on all cylinders as title contenders Conor McGregor and Chad Mendes exchange unplea...

Comment

Yeah I'll be a nervous wreck before the game but fingers crossed he does ok.

We're 2 point favourites in most places which I think is a little low, would expect a 3-5 point win but I'd say it will be sticky enough.
                                                                                                Nervous for the win or for him? He'll be grand. I'd like to see him stay on for the 70 and get Gooch on for James. About time Barry John was in that team. He'll have that bit of cuteness to slow the game down too if it's close at the end. The Tralee hoors are brilliant at that shit.

On a side note, I met him last September about a week or 10 days after the AI. Obviously still on the piss with two buddies in Killarney. Seemed like a down to earth fella with a level head even though he was slightly drunk and just won the AI. Another reason I want to see him do well.

Comment

#notesfromacrossthesea

That's cool. but I'd imagine the amount of pieces that goes missing is crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                                    Nervous for the win or for him? He'll be grand. I'd like to see him stay on for the 70 and get Gooch on for James. About time Barry John was in that team. He'll have that bit of cuteness to slow the game down too if it's close at the end. The Tralee hoors are brilliant at that shit.
                                                                                                    I'll be more worried about him than the game overall, just the nature of it I suppose. I had no fear we wouldn't beat Tipp but I was still a wreck leading up to the game.

He's not been quite good enough to justify selection before now but I think he seems like a different animal now he has his medal in his pocket and exorcised the '11 demons a bit.

He's meant to be going very well in training, good to see the team picked on that basis. He'll be doing well to keep Paul Geaney out for the rest of the year even so.

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                                    On a side note, I met him last September about a week or 10 days after the AI. Obviously still on the piss with two buddies in Killarney. Seemed like a down to earth fella with a level head even though he was slightly drunk and just won the AI. Another reason I want to see him do well.
                                                                                                    He's genuinely a very nice guy. Doesn't drink the vast majority of the time but he went on some lash after the All Ireland! He works inside with my old fella and they gave him a few weeks off to celebrate.

Comment

Mostly spending the day giving people work and researching Loire wines. Fine use of a Friday imo.

Comment

Paul Murphy on a flight to Greece to help the no campaign.

Spending your money doing it.

Good lad Paul. Stay there.

Comment

Here's my own board game collection.

You'd actually find a lot of good ones in the charity shops for 1-3 euro.

Comment

I'll be more worried about him than the game overall, just the nature of it I suppose. I had no fear we wouldn't beat Tipp but I was still a wreck leading up to the game.

He's not been quite good enough to justify selection before now but I think he seems like a different animal now he has his medal in his pocket and exorcised the '11 demons a bit.

He's meant to be going very well in training, good to see the team picked on that basis. He'll be doing well to keep Paul Geaney out for the rest of the year even so.
                                                                                                            I think he's better than Paul Geaney tbh and if they're gonna drop Gooch out to 11 like they did against Tipp a top three of James, Donaghy and BJK would take some stopping. He played well off Donaghy in Thurles too. And like you said he has the medal and now a starting place. Should spur him on. I think the last couple of years he was a bit naive but he's thought of very highly down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Jibzzzz View Post
                                                                                                              HYPE HYPE HYPE

I was 8 hours late today, CHD takeover please.
                                                                                                              Was on Conan to get some HYPE HYPE HYPE for the FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Can't wait to see McGregor get his ass kicked, he's a national embarrassment.

Comment

Here's my own board game collection.

You'd actually find a lot of good ones in the charity shops for 1-3 euro.
                                                                                                                  Would it kill you to stack them properly?

Offends my OCD.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                                    Would it kill you to stack them properly?

Offends my OCD.
                                                                                                                    lol.

Comment

Can't wait to see McGregor get his ass kicked, he's a national embarrassment.
                                                                                                                      Wouldn't be Ireland without a few begrudgers.

Comment

Ireland4Greece has recruited Eamonn Dunphy!
                                                                                                                        Ruth Coppinger (SP), Dr Julien Mercile (UCD), Lynn Boylan (SF MEP) and Thomas Kakouli (SUM GREEK).

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                                                                                                          Wouldn't be Ireland without a few begrudgers.

Never understood that "Ireland is a nation of begrudgers" - i think only Rosanna Davison said that cause no-one gave a crap about her winning miss world.

The opposite is true. As soon as someone like McGregor, Munster rugby, Leinster, Chelsea (not even irish lol) start winning everybody is on the bandwagon being their biggest fan all of a sudden.

But so what, whatever gets you through the day.

But McGregor is truly a classless individual imo, right from his swaggerjacked image to stealing Aldo's belt, just disgraceful behaviour. He's a fair fighter but he's not on Mendes, Aldo's, or Edgar's level and is going to be shown up badly.
                                                                                                                          Last edited by welk_in; 03-07-15, 13:40.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X