Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The story of Frankel started on Channel 4 just now.

Comment

Irish football is in dire straits
      Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Originally posted by Fiery Wasabi View Post
        My cousin has a bike shop on Patrick St. P&K cycles. Big range of clothing too. Ask for Keith.
        Cheers for the heads up took a stroll in yesterday afternoon no sign of your man but a woman by the name of Pauline was there and she was excellent, knocked a few € off the shorts and gave me a free water bottle also.

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
        Introduced somebody to pomegranate, they are addicted. Vive le pomegranate.
        Tried it recently in that Yogism place V4V mentioned and it was quite a nice addition to the frozen yogurt.
        "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

have to say agreeing with a lot of what the panel are saying
          Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Originally posted by Jam-Fly View Post
            have to say agreeing with a lot of what the panel are saying
            Meh, if we had nicked a winner it would be a different conversation

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
              Meh, if we had nicked a winner it would be a different conversation
              I know that, but as I've said, there's a lot of fundamental problems and they just happen to be talking about that now. If the result was different, they'd be having a different conversation alright, but the fundamental problems would still be there.

And typically, Dunphy then starts talking irrelevant shite about Trap and Hoolohan for the 406th time.
              Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

that's it by the looks of things anyway. 9 points from 4 games needed to get top 3 by the looks of things, will need to beat Poland or Germany.
                by the looks of things ... you are probably right.

Comment

Originally posted by White Knight View Post
                  by the looks of things ... you are probably right.
                  don't mock me, I'm sad
                  Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

I know that, but as I've said, there's a lot of fundamental problems that they just happen to be talking about now. If the result was different, they'd be having a different conversation alright, but the fundamental problems would still be there.
                    We punch above our weight considering we are pulling an international team together from a population akin to greater Manchester with a domestic league that supplies 0. If we had a league support comparing to the SPL then maybe we could complain.

We are similar to Bulgaria/Georgia/Scotland/Lithuania/Bosnia etc except with a badly supported feeder league & we all have our cycles of good times. C'est la Vie coz its not gonna change much in our lifetime..

Comment

We punch above our weight considering we are pulling an international team together from a population akin to greater Manchester with a domestic league that supplies 0. If we had a league support comparing to the SPL then maybe we could complain.

We are similar to Bulgaria/Georgia/Scotland/Lithuania/Bosnia etc except with a badly supported feeder league & we all have our cycles of good times. C'est la Vie coz its not gonna change much in our lifetime..
                      there's a lot more that can be done to address the problems. We're a relatively rich country with a good sporting culture, I don't think being outside the top 24 teams in Europe is necessarily punching above our weight.
                      Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                        McCarthy getting stuck into Brown.

All those people who said he would pussy out of this game can now shut the fuck up.
                        Another shite performance from him tbh.
                        "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

there's a lot more that can be done to address the problems. We're a relatively rich country with a good sporting culture, I don't think being outside the top 24 teams in Europe is necessarily punching above our weight.
                          Oh yeah, we should deffo be qualifying in the top 24, don't get me wrong. Its just unfortunate the the EPL has become such a golden ticket for foreigners in the last 15 years thus restricting a lot of our chances for player development at the highest level. Stupid geography. Dog eat dog now.

Comment

Nostalgic and ginned up BennyHiFi is the proper BennyHiFi to have

Comment

Should head down to mosney or where ever the African refugee kids are playing soccer with a stone and no shoes or rules or whatever the panel want and start handing out passports.

Comment

The Mrs' Nexus 5 will not boot. Just gets to Google logo screen and goes dead. Tried the safe boot but just as the safe boot screen comes up the phone goes dead again as well. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions they would be much appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                  Should head down to mosney or where ever the African refugee kids are playing soccer with a stone and no shoes or rules or whatever the panel want and start handing out passports.
                                  Meh, they'd probably do a Grealish at 21 when they see the writing on the wall & declare for Ivory Coast or whoever

Comment

Oh yeah, we should deffo be qualifying in the top 24, don't get me wrong. Its just unfortunate the the EPL has become such a golden ticket for foreigners in the last 15 years thus restricting a lot of our chances for player development at the highest level. Stupid geography. Dog eat dog now.
                                    There are no players in our National Pool at present being badly treated though imo. McGeady is our most talented player technically at present and has had his opportunities to play European football and garner experience. Long has probably got more chances than he should have given his goals to games ratio throughout his career. McCarthy / Whelan / Walters / O'Shea / Wilson / Coleman all start games at the top level.

Keane and Duff in the modern Premiership era got the big transfers and opportunities. If you're good enough you're good enough ultimately.
                                    "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                      fwiw, I don't necessarily agree with Dunphy's thoughts of 'kids learning to play football on the street'. Learning to play without parents shouting on the sideline is desirable for sure, but there's definitely a happy medium between the current situation and kids playing on the street. Heard a coach say earlier in the year 'if the system doesn't allow a kid like Messi or Xavi to prosper, then the system is wrong' and that's certainly one of the problems in Ireland.
                                      Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                        There are no players in our National Pool at present being badly treated though imo. McGeady is our most talented player technically at present and has had his opportunities to play European football and garner experience. Long has probably got more chances than he should have given his goals to games ratio throughout his career. McCarthy / Whelan / Walters / O'Shea / Wilson / Coleman all start games at the top level.

Keane and Duff in the modern Premiership era got the big transfers and opportunities. If you're good enough you're good enough ultimately.
                                        All true. Alas the days of having 6/8 of our starting 11 coming from Top 4 clubs are long gone though (i.e the Charlton early years) due to the money in England bringing in 50+ players from all over the world denying them a chance to play for better clubs.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                          Hopefully this match today will be much better than the game last weekend. I don't think we'll win though as we rarely do win these matches so I think it'll be a 1-1 draw as we always seem to draw these type of games.
                                          I wish I bet on things. Ireland are so predictable.

Comment

All true. Alas the days of having 6/8 of our starting 11 coming from Top 4 clubs are long gone though (i.e the Charlton early years) due to the money in England bringing in 50+ players from all over the world denying them a chance to play for better clubs.
                                            Yes, but there is no - one in our national pool worthy of playing for top four clubs right now, or near it. When Duff and Robbie were good enough they got those chances. If we have players good enough again, they'll get those chances. Again, no - one is being 'denied' anything right now.

Comment

I think the problems lie in the stages before players making it in the Premier League though.

Just heard Liam Brady say "since Kevin Kilbane retired, we haven't had a lot of options at left-back"

So it's finally gotten to that stage, we're looking back on the glory days of having players of the quality of Kevin Kilbane in the team
                                              Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface View Post
                                                Went to see Jurassic World earlier, enjoyable enough but prob mostly nostalgia. Some great product placement also. Also had free tickets to Taste of Dublin on Thurs, total shite
                                                Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                From the off the product placement is off the charts.

Entertaining yes.

Summer blockbuster ? Nope.
                                                Just back from seeing it and overall it's pretty weak but enjoyable in parts C+.
                                                "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

the conversation the panel are talking about with the DDSL and the FAI is a big issue too that mightn't be too well known to the general public. Another example of problems in Irish soccer.
                                                  Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Another shite performance from him tbh.
                                                    He is a defensive midfielder. When will people cop this? He isn't meant to be setting the world alight. He is also left to play with Whelan. He isn't world class, just very good.

Comment

Yes, but there is no - one in our national pool worthy of playing for top four clubs right now, or near it. When Duff and Robbie were good enough they got those chances. If we have players good enough again, they'll get those chances. Again, no - one is being 'denied' anything right now.
                                                      Correct, nobody is being denied anything. Its just the influx into the EPL has changed the landscape for Irish players as the EPL is the only option really if you want to make it.

Like you'd hardly put Kevin Moran into a United team these days etc etc.

We will just have to pull a team together from what we have and this will be the way for a long time with a scattering of mid-EPL team players augmented by a few good championship players (and hopefully a couple of real stars from time to time)

Comment

the conversation the panel are talking about with the DDSL and the FAI is a big issue too that mightn't be too well known to the general public. Another example of problems in Irish soccer.
                                                        I lived with a DDSL manager for a couple of years (who now coaches UCD U-19s) so I am very well versed in how it works. People hammer the FAI for not changing youth structures, etc but they don't understand that the FAI don't have total control of a lot of the sharp end of the youth game.

That being said, the panel are wrong to say 'nothing' is being done. The FAI have built U - 17 and U - 19 leagues that are linking the pro game down to elite youth talent. This will have a very positive difference over the next decade imo.

We still need to strike the lotto though, and the reality is that we haven't struck gold since the mid / late nineties in terms of Irish young lads be elite pro prospects. The conveyor belt of solid pro prospects hasn't really dried up but that isn't enough.

He is a defensive midfielder. When will people cop this? He isn't meant to be setting the world alight. He is also left to play with Whelan. He isn't world class, just very good.
                                                        Whelan is better than him imo.

Comment

Funny enough the best match I saw him play was for Wigan at the Emirates where he played a kind of No 10 role behind the main striker.

I said it before here but was at Everton v Arsenal last August & the best player on the pitch by a mile was actually Naismith imo. Till Giroud came on. Looks strange when i write that!

Comment

I lived with a DDSL manager for a couple of years (who now coaches UCD U-19s) so I am very well versed in how it works. People hammer the FAI for not changing youth structures, etc but they don't understand that the FAI don't have total control of a lot of the sharp end of the youth game.

That being said, the panel are wrong to say 'nothing' is being done. The FAI have built U - 17 and U - 19 leagues that are linking the pro game down to elite youth talent. This will have a very positive difference over the next decade imo.

We still need to strike the lotto though, and the reality is that we haven't struck gold since the mid / late nineties in terms of Irish young lads be elite pro prospects. The conveyor belt of solid pro prospects hasn't really dried up but that isn't enough.
                                                            I'm really looking forward to the u17 league and I think that should, in theory at least, be a big help. I suppose the biggest fault I could find with the FAI is that they offer little cohesion. There are too many moving parts. For example, the FAI, the DDSL, the emerging talent programme, inter-league teams, individual amatuer clubs, individual LOI clubs etc all work relatively independently of each other. Hopefully this u-17 league, working in sync with the u-19 league, is the first step in creating a clear pathway for a young Irish player to become a professional footballer without having to take the risk of leaving the country. That said, there's still a million other things that could be improved, but it's definitely a positive step imo.
                                                            Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Meh. He is very good imo, leave it at that.

If Long started today we win that game handily. Really annoyed.

Comment

Interesting read on Amaya's takeover of Pokerstars here.

Opr

Comment

In hindsight I think Long would have given us a good chance. However I do disagree with you that he our best air threat. He is good at jumping, hanging when it comes to flick-ons/ challenging but I don't rate his finishing with his head at all. I don't think he would have got as good a head on the goal set-up as Murphy did.

Comment

Dublin will be shitin themselves when they see this performance fro Kildare

Our Year!
                                                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

any suggestions for a breakfast comedy that I can download for a few weeks on the road?
                                                                      Recent things I've liked included
                                                                      Louie
                                                                      Legit
                                                                      Veep
                                                                      Silicon valley

Comment

I enjoyed the new HBO comedy, 'Togetherness' from the Duplass brothers. Nothing amazing but good easy watching in a similar vein to some of the stuff you have listed.

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                          Dublin will be shitin themselves when they see this performance fro Kildare

Our Year!
                                                                          Kildare have a GAA team?
                                                                          You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                          World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

any suggestions for a breakfast comedy that I can download for a few weeks on the road?
                                                                            Louie
                                                                            Legit
                                                                            Veep
                                                                            Silicon valley
                                                                            Do ye actually watch sitcoms with your breakfast or is it some kind of euphanisum? Would have considered this to be a fairly dismal way to start my working day if honest but I am open to correction.

Comment

I think the national pool is the worst I can remember but it is still the case that 27 of 53 teams get a playoff at least, and to not be part of that will be bitterly disappointing and a significant low point.

I think O'Neill is doing alright with them, but there is no doubt that a top echelon manager would be doing better (we wouldn't have 9 points if Vincent Del Bosque was managing us). The problem is attracting that top echelon manager.

Comment

In hindsight I think Long would have given us a good chance. However I do disagree with you that he our best air threat. He is good at jumping, hanging when it comes to flick-ons/ challenging but I don't rate his finishing with his head at all. I don't think he would have got as good a head on the goal set-up as Murphy did.
                                                                                Anytime he's played this year he's been shite. O Neill woukd have seen more of both of them than we have. He's not stupid he picked the player who he thought was better.
                                                                                airport, lol

Comment

What round does Pendred lose in tonight?

Comment

Louie
                                                                                    Legit
                                                                                    Veep
                                                                                    Silicon valley
                                                                                    Parks and Recreation has become one of my favourites of late. I think it doesn't really hit its stride until the second season though.

I would also add Community, but that is hit and miss for a lot of people.
                                                                                    Last edited by DMMurray; 13-06-15, 20:16.

Comment

Originally posted by shano1888 View Post
                                                                                      Do ye actually watch sitcoms with your breakfast or is it some kind of euphanisum? Would have considered this to be a fairly dismal way to start my working day if honest but I am open to correction.
                                                                                      I do this as well on occasion. Hotspur also does it. Comedies are usually only 20 minutes so they fit well for breakfast. If I'm busy in work I wouldn't do the breakfast comedy thing though.

It's also possible that Strewelpeter does mean it as a euphemism for something nasty though, and I'm too naive to understand it.

Comment

Funny enough the best match I saw him play was for Wigan at the Emirates where he played a kind of No 10 role behind the main striker.

I said it before here but was at Everton v Arsenal last August & the best player on the pitch by a mile was actually Naismith imo. Till Giroud came on. Looks strange when i write that!
                                                                                        I don't care if he lit up an el classico he is still a detestable cunt. Plays off it well though. The cunt.

Comment

I think the national pool is the worst I can remember but it is still the case that 27 of 53 teams get a playoff at least, and to not be part of that will be bitterly disappointing and a significant low point.

I think O'Neill is doing alright with them, but there is no doubt that a top echelon manager would be doing better (we wouldn't have 9 points if Vincent Del Bosque was managing us). The problem is attracting that top echelon manager.
                                                                                          Yeah exactly, the new format is designed so countries like us will qualify for the Euros. To not qualify is really disappointing and not good enough.

Not sure what more we can ask for in a manager though. Trapatonni and O'Neill both have pretty impressive CVs. Maybe another manager would've done better but I don't think there were many complaining when O'Neill was given the job originally (and ditto for Trap).
                                                                                          Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Originally posted by DMMurray View Post
                                                                                            I do this as well on occasion. Hotspur also does it. Comedies are usually only 20 minutes so they fit well for breakfast. If I'm busy in work I wouldn't do the breakfast comedy thing though.

It's also possible that Strewelpeter does mean it as a euphemism for something nasty though, and I'm too naive to understand it.
                                                                                            I think sitcoms are good to completely zone out from the rest of the world, not something I usually want starting the day. Usually would watch something before bed to zone out.
                                                                                            Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

I am aware that it is a thing around these parts. Just wondering if I am missing out on something. Find it hugely bizarre tbh. Are alarms set 20 minutes early? Is it some kind of fuck you to the cunts who jog before work?

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface View Post
                                                                                                What round does Pendred lose in tonight?
                                                                                                He'll probably go the 3 rounds.

Wonder will he be stupid enough to try stand and trade. If he can somehow take your man down and sit on him he could grind another terrible decision which would be amazing for the reaction alone. He is pretty terrible but tough as nails. His jaw hasn't long left til it's lights out eveytime he gets hit clean.

Comment

I think sitcoms are good to completely zone out from the rest of the world, not something I usually want starting the day. Usually would watch something before bed to zone out.
                                                                                                  Snap. Often watch modern family with herself when we are to tierd to watch something requiring effort.

Comment

Louie
                                                                                                    Legit
                                                                                                    Veep
                                                                                                    Silicon valley
                                                                                                    'Alaskan Bush People' for the lols. Just watch it dont be questioning it Strewluee!.

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                                                      The Mrs' Nexus 5 will not boot. Just gets to Google logo screen and goes dead. Tried the safe boot but just as the safe boot screen comes up the phone goes dead again as well. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions they would be much appreciated
                                                                                                      Found an answer to this on YouTube. Involves a fuck load of tapping the power button

Comment

on the subject of sitcomes, where does Cheers rank? Never watched it before but saw it's on Netflix so been watching a few episodes here and there recently.
                                                                                                        Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

missing is starting to watch Justified, she likes it. anyone here recommend it?
                                                                                                          any other sites like shush.se for films n movies ?

Comment

on the subject of sitcomes, where does Cheers rank? Never watched it before but saw it's on Netflix so been watching a few episodes here and there recently.
                                                                                                            Right up there back then but its kinda of the time, not as relevant now. When it was fresh it was the finest as they would say in Waterford.
                                                                                                            How havent you come across it before now is what im wondering.

Comment

Its a Hotspur thing, I never watch TV in the daytime unless I'm travelling so it was a euphemism for the zone out viewing

Originally posted by Solskjaer View Post
                                                                                                              Great show as long as you go with the flow and don't take it too seriously.

Deffo high in the all time top 5 sitcoms. There was some really sharp writing and the cast was pure quality.

Comment

M*A*S*H was the greatest

Comment

Faroe Island after doing the double on Greece. Euro 2004 champs have really gone downhill
                                                                                                                  Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by Solskjaer View Post
                                                                                                                    any other sites like shush.se for films n movies ?
                                                                                                                    primewire.ag is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, primewire.ag has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

I am aware that it is a thing around these parts. Just wondering if I am missing out on something. Find it hugely bizarre tbh. Are alarms set 20 minutes early? Is it some kind of fuck you to the cunts who jog before work?
                                                                                                                    I watch TV while eating my breakfast. Laughing is a great way to start the day imo.

Strewel, I second Parks and Rec, also I have mentioned Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Episodes is good.

I shall take this opportunity to again express my deep love for the current BBC series Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                                                                                                      Faroe Island after doing the double on Greece. Euro 2004 champs have really gone downhill
                                                                                                                      Brian Kerr did some sterling work on the team there akin to underage setup he excelled at previously.

Comment

Parks and Recreation has become one of my favourites of late. I think it doesn't really hit its stride until the second season though.

I would also add Community, but that is hit and miss for a lot of people.
                                                                                                                        Parks and rec is very very good.

30Rock is comedy gold also.
                                                                                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

I tend to work about 60 hours a week so with flexi-time as well, I don't worry too much about when I show up (within reason). When I'm not under pressure, comedies are great while having breakfast. A real nice way to start the day as hotspur says. But if I'm under pressure and need to get into the flow of something quickly in work, then breakfast comedies are a disaster. You lose about 15% efficiency from your day (I just made up that number, BTW).

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X