This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
    I'd love to work as an auditor for KPMG. What do they do when auditing a company, set up the ps4 in a meeting room and have a pizza party? I see they audit FIFA's accounts
    Curious as to what you think they should have found or is this more of an 'everything goes to shit so blame the auditors' sort of thing? I work for an audit firm but not KPMG. Genuine question btw.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzzy Logic View Post
      Curious as to what you think they should have found or is this more of an 'everything goes to shit so blame the auditors' sort of thing? I work for an audit firm but not KPMG. Genuine question btw.
      Feck all to do with FIFA.

In general, say several key figures in a company had unvouched expenses of several million a year, would a tax auditor want to know where this cash was going in case revenue ask the same ? or is there a cutoff ?

edit: there was a very good AMA over on boards last week, a merchant navy officer, he was explaining how the captain had several hundred dollars for every port, to ease the load and onload etc. Stuff like that.
      Last edited by oleras; 28-05-15, 22:15.
      This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
        Feck all to do with FIFA.

In general, say several key figures in a company had unvouched expenses of several million a year, would a tax auditor want to know where this cash was going in case revenue ask the same ? or is there a cutoff ?

edit: there was a very good AMA over on boards last week, a merchant navy officer, he was explaining how the captain had several hundred dollars for every port, to ease the load and onload etc. Stuff like that.
        An audit works on a materiality level where the level is calculated based on the nature of a company e.g. profit driven or balance sheet driven. So in the case of FIFA it would be either revenue (likely given it is meant to be a non-profit company) or profit. The % of revenue can vary depending on some factors such as risk but say 5%. This means that any individual line item below 5% of revenue does not require the auditors to look at. So amounts may not have been sufficiently large enough to trigger some detailed testing, or the amounts were paid in a fashion which appeared in line with the normal course of business e.g. a soccer school for underprivileged kids in Honduras getting funding which then pays another company for services provided which in turn pays 'consultants' to run the school etc etc. As the auditors can prove the existence of the school and would expect FIFA to pay expenses such as these, it appears above board and the expenses are siphoned off downstream where KPMG has no visibility.

And as for a 'tax audit', only the revenue commissioners or their equivalent in other countries like the HMRC perform actual tax and revenue audits. These are forensic accounting in nature and far more detailed than any normal audit is.

Auditors such as KPMG would prepare the tax calculation based on the information they have and not much else. Again, if there is no evidence to uncover anything untowards then this will not highlight any fraud. Auditors generally find fraud where amounts are being directly siphoned off or fictitious expenses are being created outside the normal course of business. I would think FIFA were paying 'genuine' expenses to what appeared to reasonable recipients.

And to finish off, unvouched expenses would be one of the key areas to test for fraud as it is the most likely place for fraud to occur so I would be amazed if KPMG had not trawled through anything like that.
        Last edited by Fuzzy Logic; 28-05-15, 23:21.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Don't companies choose their own auditors?
              X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
              Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Game of sheep would be fun. Especially the answers bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Business View Post
                  Yup. But for companies the size of FIFA, there are only 4 real choices.

Comment

I think so, isnt that why there is a debacle/mass board resignation with an irish ambulance charity at the minute.
                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                      Get her done
                      airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                        Haven't shipped anyone anything for Eurovision yet, but haven't been on.
                        I forgot to add that of course you are a founding member and key supporter of the Eurovision sweep.

Comment

Or pass the time with this...show your work

A warden oversees an empty prison with 100 cells, all closed. Bored one day, he walks through the prison and opens every cell. Then he walks through it again and closes the even-numbered cells. On the third trip he stops at every third cell and closes the door if it’s open or opens it if it’s closed. And so on: On the nth trip he stops at every nth cell, closing an open door or opening a closed one. At the end of the 100th trip, which doors are open?
                          airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

A warden oversees an empty prison with 100 cells, all closed. Bored one day, he walks through the prison and opens every cell. Then he walks through it again and closes the even-numbered cells. On the third trip he stops at every third cell and closes the door if it’s open or opens it if it’s closed. And so on: On the nth trip he stops at every nth cell, closing an open door or opening a closed one. At the end of the 100th trip, which doors are open?
                            SPOILER
                            none, they are all closed?
                            No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                              SPOILER
                              SPOILER
                              nope, p
                              airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                SPOILER
                                SPOILER
                                Was this in Ireland? Why is there 100 cells free when prison overcrowding is a thing?

Comment

Public sector for ya

Comment

SPOILER
                                    Was this in Ireland? Why is there 100 cells free when prison overcrowding is a thing?
                                    Kilcoole I believe. All sound cunts nobody locked up
                                    airport, lol

Comment

Public sector for ya
                                      The DC won't be happy m8.

Comment

Kilcoole I believe. All sound cunts nobody locked up
                                        Plenty of muppets in Kilcoole m8. All them foreigners from Dublin taking our land.

Comment

There's a fella across from me wearing a romones t-shirt accept it says "Bromones". Where do ye reckon he rates on the banterometer?
                                          airport, lol

Comment

Plenty of muppets in Kilcoole m8. All them foreigners from Dublin taking our land.
                                            William Wallace the fuck out of them
                                            airport, lol

Comment

Hmm, On the IPB Bantz scale it's probably somewhere between yourself and Dobby m8.

#Bantz

Comment

Hmm, On the IPB Bantz scale it's probably somewhere between yourself and Dobby m8.

#Bantz
                                                "hey ho let's Bro" on the back. Promoted imo.
                                                airport, lol

Comment

"hey ho let's Bro" on the back. Promoted imo.
                                                  I'd cringe reading that. Airport peoples? Travelling? Yank?

Comment

I'd cringe reading that. Airport peoples? Travelling? Yank?
                                                    Airport travelling cunt aye. Possible yank couldn't be sure
                                                    airport, lol

Comment

Airport travelling cunt aye. Possible yank couldn't be sure
                                                      Find a yank and thank them for something USA did for bantz.

Comment

Find a yank and thank them for something USA did for bantz.
                                                        Back to safety in my cave.
                                                        airport, lol

Comment

Do you reckon we have made enough posts to keep 5star happy?

Comment

Cell #1 is open anyway. There must be a pattern, will be done in 10. (y)
                                                            Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Think it's done
                                                              SPOILER
                                                              Alright so when you get to #2 and #3 you will be closing it but when you get to 4 you will be opening it because you closed it when you did all the even numbers. #6 you will be closing because you visited it at the start and then again when you did the #2's and the #3's ones. I went as far as 10 and got 1-4-9 as open cells so I'm just gonna presume tis squares so 1-4-9-16-25-36-49-64-81-100-121-144-169-etc up to 1000
                                                              Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                                                Think it's done
                                                                SPOILER
                                                                Alright so when you get to #2 and #3 you will be closing it but when you get to 4 you will be opening it because you closed it when you did all the even numbers. #6 you will be closing because you visited it at the start and then again when you did the #2's and the #3's ones. I went as far as 10 and got 1-4-9 as open cells so I'm just gonna presume tis squares so 1-4-9-16-25-36-49-64-81-100-121-144-169-etc up to 1000
                                                                SPOILER
                                                                There's only 100 cells dougy but yeah all the squares
                                                                airport, lol

Comment

I some quiz questions I failed miserably at.

What sport using a ball has the largest playing field? - golf is a course and not a field
                                                                  Name 3 of the 5 players Maradona rounded for that goal.
                                                                  Rugby Union, what word follows Warrington to complete their name

Can't remember the rest but I did shite, got 1 of the 5 players though.
                                                                  Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by thechamp87 View Post
                                                                    Yeah used to spend a lot of time there in the summers when I was younger in Ballyconneely so a few of us have rented a place on Airbnb in Roundstone for the weekend. Weatherwise hopefully get out for a couple of swims and hike a couple of the pins at some stage and we're playing golf on Saturday afternoon so a decent weekend ahead. And sure if it's raining I'm sure we'll fill the days somehow between O'Dowd's/Vaughsn's/King's/Ryan's/whatever is still there.

I think we'll pull into Ballynahinch Castle for a bite in the bar tomorrow on the way. Beautiful spot too.
                                                                    Have passed Ballynahinch Castle a few times now and keep meaning to stop in but haven't got round to it yet.

GF's Dad owns a place out at Ervallagh Harbour. The view from the patio/sitting room is off the chart. It's a majestic place and fast becoming my 'happy place'

Presume you've done the whole Roundstone/Gurteen Bay/Dogs Bay walks? It's pure bliss out there even if it's blustery.

Last July, we were there for a few days and headed out to the islands. Below is the sands on the beach, sure ya could be in Thailand!

There really is something about the west of Ireland. I mean, I'm a city boy through and through but without wanting to sound like a Hotspuresque new age Buddhist veggie, there really is something special, almost spiritual about the west of Ireland

SPOILER

Comment

What sport using a ball has the largest playing field? - golf is a course and not a field

SPOILER
                                                                      polo for first one, technically I'm cheating as I had it in a quiz before. Fuck knows the other two
                                                                      airport, lol

Comment

SPOILER
                                                                        polo for first one, technically I'm cheating as I had it in a quiz before. Fuck knows the other two
                                                                        Pretty sure I had it years ago too but completely forgot, felt like a fool not knowing and we went through
                                                                        SPOILER
                                                                        baseball, american footie(my pick of the 3) and gaa pitch. I need to look up which wins.

We lost by 1 question though, I'm gonna blame you for not coming now m8. Twas a good quiz
                                                                        Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Pretty sure I had it years ago too but completely forgot, felt like a fool not knowing and we went through
                                                                          SPOILER
                                                                          baseball, american footie(my pick of the 3) and gaa pitch. I need to look up which wins.

We lost by 1 question though, I'm gonna blame you for not coming now m8. Twas a good quiz
                                                                          Quizzes are good craic. I'll accept responsibility for failing
                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

SPOILER
                                                                            Reid, Fenwick, Butcher and Shilton? can't think of a fifth
                                                                            Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Comment

These better be my pics I asked for.
                                                                              Re your pics.

By Dave, I assume you meant black dave. That was tough as I had never met the man and has no idea what he looked like. I got thinking, and wondered if his name was meant in an ironic sense and that he was not black . So maybe his real name was not Dave also *mindblown*. So did I know any white men that were called Dave who weren't Dave, and immediately thought of Rodney from OFAH... So low and behold I give you
                                                                              SPOILER

Now I realise he look nothing like Rodney, but Canada can do strange things to a man and make them appear more rugged looking.

For the second one, this was the easiest. For this I was on a 1/2 say trip to a rainforest preservation park and came a cross this little chap. Rainforest was cool and we'll worth a visit.

SPOILER

For the last one. The poutine and coke. I looked at the menu when in Vancouver and saw pics of poutine and thought it looked fuckin disgusting and so refused to order it to eat. Anyhow after a few magical fanastic days in Vancouver, place is brilliant and I fell in love with it.

We did take one day trip to Victoria island as gf was desperate to go. bad mistake, victoria is a cancerous boil on the rectum of a parasite that feed on the dungbeetle that feed on elephant dung. Place is horrible and I couldn't get out fast enough. I will speak no more of it and strongly advise people to avoid it like the plague.

On the last day while at the airport the gf vanished and came back with this by pure random chance...

SPOILER

This was totally unexpected as had no idea she was getting this. We shared this between us and it was actually fabulous, went down easy and was tasty. The coke perfectly complimented it and I give the meal a 4.5 out of 5.

All in all Vancouver is a brilliant way to spend a long weekend and highly recommend... Just don't go to Victoria.

P.S.. DP, fully agree with your list, we did most of them and was all good. I swapped Capello for Gouse mountain as it looked great and wasnt disappointed.
                                                                              Last edited by pokerhand; 29-05-15, 02:24.
                                                                              No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

The DC won't be happy m8.
                                                                                dc?

There's a fella across from me wearing a romones t-shirt accept it says "Bromones". Where do ye reckon he rates on the banterometer?
                                                                                a banterholic. may need to attend b.a meetings

Comment

Class Pokerhand m8

DC is daycrew lottie m8 yky

Comment

Class Pokerhand m8

DC is daycrew lottie m8 yky
                                                                                    Whats yky?

Guess is "ya kunt ya"?
                                                                                    airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by wicklowp View Post
                                                                                      SPOILER
                                                                                      Reid, Fenwick, Butcher and Shilton? can't think of a fifth
                                                                                      I arrived late to the round and thought you just had to name one and got the first on the list and was delighted saying I got it right.

As for the answer
                                                                                      SPOILER
                                                                                      Shilton didn't count as they must have phrased it defenders/outfield players, mb. The 2 remaining are below whenever you give up
                                                                                      SPOILER
                                                                                      Peter Beardsley and Steve Hodge
                                                                                      Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Guess is "ya kunt ya"?
                                                                                        thats yKy

yky, yKy

Comment

2nd guess. You know yourself?
                                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzzy Logic View Post
                                                                                            Genuine answer, I just have an impression of the like of KPMG and Ernst and young as rubbetstamping operations for financial companies, they just seem to pop up a lot where dodgy stuff was going on eg Anglo and irish nationwide. They seem to just be there to sign off and lend a veneer of credibility to whoever is paying them. Sort of like most bodies who give out awards to Irish resteraunts

Comment

Doh
                                                                                              Last edited by Strewelpeter; 29-05-15, 07:13.
                                                                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                SPOILER
                                                                                                the first door, number1
                                                                                                SPOILER
                                                                                                Yes but not just that one
                                                                                                airport, lol

Comment

Genuine answer, I just have an impression of the like of KPMG and Ernst and young as rubbetstamping operations for financial companies, they just seem to pop up a lot where dodgy stuff was going on eg Anglo and irish nationwide. They seem to just be there to sign off and lend a veneer of credibility to whoever is paying them. Sort of like most bodies who give out awards to Irish resteraunts
                                                                                                  They pop up a lot because they are the biggest Shirley
                                                                                                  airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzzy Logic
                                                                                                    I think the thing is the way audit firms work has changed over the years. It used to be the case that audit firms came to their work with some sense of creating value for the client and performing useful exercises such as testing the underlying quality of the data upon which the accounts were based and the like.

However in recent years its seems to me that focus of the big 4 has changed. There no longer appears to be a goal of creating value for the client or indeed the investors who to greater or lesser degrees rely on the quality of the audit. The focus now for my money is on (a) protecting the partners from any liability and (b)Generating billable hours as economically as possible without impinging on (a).

The consequences of this seem to be
                                                                                                    1. The majority of base audit work being performed by audit juniors who have almost no understanding of how large financial concerns actually work - as opposed to the theoretical stuff they were still learning in college a month ago.
                                                                                                    2. Partners and audit directors focusing the work performed in (1) on validating the arithmetic performed by the client as opposed to substantiating it.
                                                                                                    3 Risk based audits as opposed to data audits - this is a sensible idea except that the majority of the work is still done by the wet behind the ears crew from (1) so they aren't in a position to find anything which might be a moderately concealed / not completely obvious wrong item.
                                                                                                    4 The apparent interpretation of risk based audit as referring to the risk of damage to the asset base of the accounting firm partners as opposed to that of the clients shareholders.

For my money the big audit firms have ceased to create value for shareholders or indeed the public at large. Consider for example when is the last time you heard of a large public concern getting a qualified audit or indeed having the auditors refuse to sign the accounts? If this isn't something that ever happens then from an investors point of view what is the point in paying for the audit service?
                                                                                                    Last edited by Western_Sean; 29-05-15, 07:15.

Comment

Originally posted by Western_Sean View Post
                                                                                                      I think the thing is the way audit firms work has changed over the years. It used to be the case that audit firms came to their work with some sense of creating value for the client and performing useful exercises such as testing the underlying quality of the data upon which the accounts were based and the like.

However in recent years its seems to me that focus of the big 4 has changed. There no longer appears to be a goal of creating value for the client or indeed the investors who to greater or lesser degrees rely on the quality of the audit. The focus now for my money is on (a) protecting the partners from any liability and (b)Generating billable hours as economically as possible without impinging on (a).

1. The majority of base audit work being performed by audit juniors who have almost no understanding of how large financial concerns actually work - as opposed to the theoretical stuff they were still learning in college a month ago.
                                                                                                      2. Partners and audit directors focusing the work performed in (1) on validating the arithmetic performed by the client as opposed to substantiating it.
                                                                                                      3 Risk based audits as opposed to data audits - this is a sensible idea except that the majority of the work is still done by the wet behind the ears crew from (1) so they aren't in a position to find anything which might be a moderately concealed / not completely obvious wrong item.
                                                                                                      4 The apparent interpretation of risk based audit as referring to the risk of damage to the asset base of the accounting firm partners as opposed to that of the clients shareholders.

For my money the big audit firms have ceased to create value for shareholders or indeed the public at large. Consider for example when is the last time you heard of a large public concern getting a qualified audit or indeed having the auditors refuse to sign the accounts? If this isn't something that ever happens then from an investors point of view what is the point in paying for the audit service?
                                                                                                      This is a lot more eloquent than my taxi driver style rant
                                                                                                      Last edited by Guest; 29-05-15, 07:39.

Comment

I have it on good authority that a monkey in cash to a certain reviewer guarantees favourable comment.
                                                                                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Western_Sean View Post
                                                                                                          Having being audited many times, this is 100% true. You can always use the threat of moving audit firm to get dodgy shit (we had some interesting proprietorial 'mark to model' stuff back in the day that essentially said whatever the modeller felt like) through the audit if you really need to but generally the junior staff don't understand and the seniors don't want to know.

Everyone's a winner baby!
                                                                                                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                            I have it on good authority that a monkey in cash to a certain reviewer guarantees favourable comment.
                                                                                                            Does his surname rhyme with Coolio
                                                                                                            Last edited by Guest; 29-05-15, 08:08.

Comment

Seems I've no Banty pants lolzzzzzzzzz

This clip is highly amusing imo. love the line about the Swiss

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Props to Broadsheet.ie for the big heart

How little? Catherine Murphy, Independent TD for Kildare North, dropped a series of revelations in the Dáil today concerning alleged preferential treatment given to Denis O’Brien by IBRC, for…

Mr 1.25%
                                                                                                                And KPMG stuck in the middle of it
                                                                                                                Last edited by Guest; 29-05-15, 08:34.

Comment

Why is/was IBRC still offering/extending loans?

Could/should it not be aiming to wind itself up asap? And so DOB should have been forced to raise the amount through a loan from another company to repay IBRC instead of extending it?

Or have I completely misunderstood what's going on at IBRC?

Comment

Piece in the Guardian about it

Comment

It feels pretty damn cool to come in to work and see emails thanking us for a great product from the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs, Commandant of the Marine Corps, the white house, SOUTHCOM etc along with how many more they want to order, that it is now standardised equipment among senior generals. Meanwhile the Irish government have bought one thing off us after decades of operation, that's more of a win

Comment

In general you'd have to say fair dues to Catherine Murphy but I didn't quite follow this bit...
                                                                                                                        I understand that Mr O’Brien was enjoying a rate of approximately 1.25% when IBRC could, and arguably should, have been charging 7.5%.
                                                                                                                        Would 7.5% be a normal business interest rate, or was she just gilding the lily a wee bit?

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                                          In general you'd have to say fair dues to Catherine Murphy but I didn't quite follow this bit...
                                                                                                                          I understand that Mr O’Brien was enjoying a rate of approximately 1.25% when IBRC could, and arguably should, have been charging 7.5%.
                                                                                                                          Would 7.5% be a normal business interest rate, or was she just gilding the lily a wee bit?
                                                                                                                          Depends on whether the loan was secured or not, 7.5% would be cheap for unsecured money

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X