This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
    People were genuinely terrified it might happen here. They changed some aspects of the Constitution to limit the ability of the Executive function to be transferred to the President to stop Fianna Fail from doing so once Dev was elected even though it's quite clear that was never his intention.

It's hard to conceive of something like that now but in the context of the time it was a live issue.
    Interesting but I'd imagine this wrote itself really as those terrified people were not as stupid as people seem to think and the gun would have been swiftly back in Irish Politics

gotta go to bed now unfortunately as I like teasing this stuff out of ye history buffs.

Comment

Watching the first Daredevil and it occurred to me it would be terrible to try and intimidate someone using modern tech:

The scene.

I approach you with regard to the money you owe my boss. To let you know we mean business i have video of a loved one i want to show you.

me: well, just so we are on the same page have a little look at this.

you: ok, what is it.

me: one second, it was here a while ago, it does this for no reason, ill just go out and back in again.

you: ammmmm...what is it you want to show me ?

me: jesus, will you give me a second ? whats your rush ? Fuckin thing, now im gona have to turn it on and off again...typical, no signal now.
      This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
        So really it was a constitution of its time. Reactionary in a way. Rather than a timeless piece of guidance to a nation which we'd like a good constitution to be. Not one that says 'well based on this Hitler dude, here's how you should be governed in 2015'
        No.

It's both of its time and forward thinking. Some of it is very much a product of 1937 Ireland (woman's place in the home, special position of Catholic Church), some of it is absolutely visionary (fundamental rights doctrine, declarations of incompatibility with the Constitution, Art. 26) and some of it borrowed from the best parts of other sources (no trial without due process, inviolability of the dwelling, etc).

So many scholars, here and abroad, commend the Irish constitution as an incredible achievement. An entire section of the Indian constitution is literally lifted directly from Bunreacht na hEireann because they admired it so much.

It is a creature of its time not just because it came from 1937 but because, to quote the Supreme Court, it is a living document, shaped by the people and the times in which they live as much as shaping the State itself.
        You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
        World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
          The radio/TV debates on that one will be fun, hard to see how anyone could make an interesting or coherent case against it yet presumably half of any air time will have to be given to the No side.
          Yesterday Ireland AM had a gay guy on (well, supposed to be gay anyway) who was advocating no. Now it's hard to get past a minute or two of it because he's a Grand Master level moron, he leads with ""That's a loaded term now, this equality word."

Comment

Originally posted by Solskjaer View Post
            Interesting but I'd imagine this wrote itself really as those terrified people were not as stupid as people seem to think and the gun would have been swiftly back in Irish Politics

gotta go to bed now unfortunately as I like teasing this stuff out of ye history buffs.
            We will pick this up again I'm sure. Believe me when I tell you, this did not write itself. Seriously worth picking up Gerard Hogan's book. It's dense (over 850 pages) but it is wonderfully written and comes in at a very reasonable €50.
            You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
            World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

The likelihood of having a person under 35 as president must be near nil for the foreseeable future.

Comment

We will pick this up again I'm sure. Believe me when I tell you, this did not write itself. Seriously worth picking up Gerard Hogan's book. It's dense (over 850 pages) but it is wonderfully written and comes in at a very reasonable €50.
                Leave the link you used to download it in cousins forum, ta.

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                  Leave the link you used to download it in cousins forum, ta.
                  50 notes for a book ? Jasus.
                  This too shall pass.

Comment

Out drinking tonight. Went to toilet and had to use the bowl as urinals were occupied. Being a good boy I lifted the seat, wish I had not. I dont care much but even in a public bar I wouldnt leave things in such a way, but jeez they had a problem!

NSFW

SPOILER
                    [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                      Yep, for a fraction of the worth. If I remember correctly think it went for €120 or so
                      . I need to come on more.
                      Go big or go homeless.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

So really it was a constitution of its time. Reactionary in a way. Rather than a timeless piece of guidance to a nation which we'd like a good constitution to be. Not one that says 'well based on this Hitler dude, here's how you should be governed in 2015'
                          Our 'problem' isn't the Constitution, it's our Government. Actually two problems.

First is that the theory is that the Constitution sets out the basic parameters and then the legislative arm is supposed to make laws within those limits. But, in Ireland, in many cases from political cowardice, we never made laws in areas relevant to how people lived their lives. Thus the Courts stepped in and founded a whole doctrine of 'unenumerated rights' to deal with problems coming before it.

Second problem is that the State power is supposedly divided by three - legislative (dail as a whole), Government and Courts. But in Ireland our party whip system means that Dail (or the majority vote therein) and Govt are the same. Thus our three sided power balancing structure is reduced to two, which again means the necessity for more Judicial activism (i.e. make up laws) than there should be.

The problems above aren't the fault of the Constitution as written. As Kayroo says, in terms of International Constitutional Admiration Societies, the Irish one gets trotted out to the top of the list quite a bit. The problems are how we, in particular the Political arms, implement said document.

;tldr - Our Constitution is as good and better than any comparable one in the world, problem is political implementation of some provisions.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                            Yesterday Ireland AM had a gay guy on (well, supposed to be gay anyway) who was advocating no. Now it's hard to get past a minute or two of it because he's a Grand Master level moron, he leads with ""That's a loaded term now, this equality word."
                            http://www.tv3.ie/3player/show/184/92192/1/Ireland-AM
                            "... well treated the same is fine, but not necessarily .. all ..., you don't need to be treated identically ..."

Good start!

Are we sure this guy isn't a parody?

He's just said that allowing same sex marriage would cause inequality because when a same sex married couple leave Ireland, only 20 countries will recognise their marriage.
                            Last edited by Emmet; 15-04-15, 07:23.

Comment

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 15-04-15, 10:46.

Comment

I guess you can't vote in advance even if you have a flight booking showing you'll be out of the country on day of vote?
                                  So are you going to be away for Eurovision too?
                                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Cat pissed on me in taxi home from vets, great start tot he working day!

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                    decent humble bundle up at the moment
                                    https://www.humblebundle.com/
                                    I prefer this one!
                                    Pay what you want for Marvel and Star Wars Pinball FX2 tables, and support charity!

Comment

Comment

Think the regulations just say both sides need to be represented. They don't ban picking a guy that represents a side that will make that side look idiotic.
                                        He's a plant surely?

Obviously I will be voting against letting kiddies be President, totally uncalled for. The imbeciles almost voted in that prick from Dragons Den FFS!

Am also in the process of producing a reasonable argument for voting against the marriage referendum.

Why are we restricting marriage to being between two people why shouldn't any assortment of people who want to share their lives and resources have the same parental and succession rights that marriage brings?
                                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                          Cat pissed on me in taxi home from vets, great start tot he working day!
                                          You didn't go to work did you... you will need to be fumigated to get rid of that smell

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                            Why are we restricting marriage to being between two people why shouldn't any assortment of people who want to share their lives and resources have the same parental and succession rights that marriage brings?
                                            Woah that's unbelievably clever. Can't believe it hasn't been thought of before...

You're some clown

Comment

He's a plant surely?

Obviously I will be voting against letting kiddies be President, totally uncalled for. The imbeciles almost voted in that prick from Dragons Den FFS!

Am also in the process of producing a reasonable argument for voting against the marriage referendum.

My girlfriend Misa identifies as a cat and wants equality.

Comment

You didn't go to work did you... you will need to be fumigated to get rid of that smell
                                                Well had a bit of cleaning and changing to do at home all right! I knew it wasn't gonna be pretty when the vet said her bladder was very full in her checkup, so she needs to piss and you are probing her bladder, great

Comment

Currently having lunch with Kevin Keegan.

Sound bloke, me m8 kev

you'll be glad to hear I didn't introduce him as a former lollerpool chavball player

Comment

Someone feed me a line...

I'll never forget that time you nutmeged x and slipped it in the corner past clemence...

My brain keeps wanting to say..what was it... I'd luv dat

Comment

Comment

I'll never forget that time you nutmeged x and slipped it in the corner past clemence...

I'd love it, just love it if..........

Comment

Comment

Mr. K Mills is a special case indeed.
                                                            Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Is Season 2 of better call Saul out yet, ffs hurry up I can't wait
                                                              Last edited by Wesley Harms; 15-04-15, 10:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Kim Huybrechts View Post
                                                                Is Season 2 of better call Saul out yet, ffs hurry up I can't wait
                                                                We will only have to wait a year ;_;

Comment

Tell him you loved Devil woman . His best tune by far ..

Comment

Mad, ye just know the guy was hiring a PI to try and find dirt on her.

Who rents a beachhouse for 33k per month

Comment

Is Saul any good? Gave up a few episodes in.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Pretty sure time slows down by a large amount when I'm supervising a test...How have I only been here for 6 minutes.

Comment

His best Hamburg goal was when a ball was swung in from a corner, headed on to him and he hooked it over his shoulder from 6 yards out into the top of the net

Or if that fails, just mention the Green Cross Code

Comment

Hilary at 11/10 to be US president seems decent enough. The selection convention is a bit of a joke as think she has persuaded her pal to run against her, so she can then offer him VP.
                                                                                next prez will be Republican - especially if Hilary runs
                                                                                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

This man's googleability is kinda fcked. Not a suspect, she was seen by people after leaving the house apparently, but anyway here's his name and picture. ffs.
                                                                                  Up to last week when you googled his name the top 10 results were about his conviction for printing his own banknotes, so his googleability was fcked already.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                                                                      Is Saul any good? Gave up a few episodes in.
                                                                                      Yeah definitely ends stronger than it starts. The more Mike's character becomes prevalent the better it gets.
                                                                                      Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                        O'Donnell case dismissed, says he is considering appeal, and would like 2 weeks to get that in order. Sigh.
                                                                                        String the cunt up

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                                          Yeah definitely ends stronger than it starts. The more Mike's character becomes prevalent the better it gets.
                                                                                          I'll give it another go so, when I gave up Mike was
                                                                                          SPOILER
                                                                                          just a car park attendant

Comment

They're in the Court of Appeal. They're being very clever about this whole thing from a tactical delay point of view but there's nowhere to go on the house issue once the Court of Appeal is done.
                                                                                            Seems 10 minutes after any Court of Appeal result you can just announce an appeal to the Supreme Court. I'm surprised you didn't know this.

What was the point of the whole Court of Appeal thing we voted on then?

Comment

I am so glad there is more Mike, Mike was the best in BB.

Comment

Sounds a similar model to one you suggested previously hitch.

What did you do to piss the cat off tar?
                                                                                                X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                                Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Anyone have any opinions of a universal health care system in Ireland?

Or have any articles/papers I can just copy when writing this essay!?

Comment

We are Socialists yes?

Comment

Is swapping shoes for runners at lunchtime/when commuting likely to hamper someone's career in a formal office?

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                        By these figures, the richest 10% of households pay almost 40% of all receipts from income tax, VAT, USC and PRSI. The second richest 10% pay a further 20%. Each of the poorest five deciles contributes less than 5% of all tax receipts – their combined contribution is just over 10%.
                                                                                                        .

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                          Is swapping shoes for runners at lunchtime/when commuting likely to hamper someone's career in a formal office?
                                                                                                          You'd hope so.

Comment

What do you mean? Just bring runners for commuting and change out of them when you get there.

Also i hope to never work in a formal office, fuck that.

Comment

A year for more slippin jimmy. Fuxk sake

Comment

...

Comment

Pitbull's official music video for 'Don't Stop The Party' ft. TJR. Click to listen to Pitbull on Spotify: http://smarturl.it/PBSpot?IQid=PSTPCAs featured on ...

Was just looking at the lyrics to this song. It's as bad as they come!

You don't get them girls loose, loose (TJR)
                                                                                                                  You don't get the world loose, loose
                                                                                                                  You don't get money - oof, oof (Mr Worldwide)
                                                                                                                  But I do, I do

You don't get them girls loose, loose
                                                                                                                  You don't get the world loose, loose
                                                                                                                  You don't get money - oof, oof
                                                                                                                  But I do, I do

I said, y'all having a good time out there?

Yeah, yeah, yeah, Que no pare la fiesta - Don't stop the party

I'm running through the world like a running back
                                                                                                                  Scarface, world's mine, running back
                                                                                                                  30,000 people went here to see me?
                                                                                                                  80,000 in London, Wembley

90,000 people Morocco, and I'm just getting warmed up, papo
                                                                                                                  Catch me with RedOne in Stockholm
                                                                                                                  Beirut, cafe, getting my drink on (Voli)
                                                                                                                  Where all the pretty woman hit the hooka
                                                                                                                  All of them sweet, azucar, azucar
                                                                                                                  Dale disfruta

They can't, they won't, they never will, stop the party

I said, y'all having a good time out there

I'm from the city, where they stress, yeah they sling keys
                                                                                                                  And now I'm doing shows in Helsinki
                                                                                                                  I know what y'all thinking, you're thinking,
                                                                                                                  That you can out-think me, but you can't frankly
                                                                                                                  I'm out for the vengeance, Frankie (C-Notes)
                                                                                                                  Just 'cause you ain't me, don't hate me
                                                                                                                  As a matter fact you should thank me
                                                                                                                  Even if you don't, you're welcome Yankees
                                                                                                                  Zig-a zig-a zig-a zig-a-ow
                                                                                                                  Who got the keys to the world, now? Yours truly - blaow!

Imma give it to ya, ah ah
                                                                                                                  Now give it to me, ah ah
                                                                                                                  Now give it to me, ah ah

Now give it to me, ah ah
                                                                                                                  Get funky, get funky
                                                                                                                  Now stop!

Comment

Originally posted by Kim Huybrechts View Post
                                                                                                                    A year for more slippin jimmy. Fuxk sake
                                                                                                                    Few extra episodes in season 2 at least.

Comment

For those of you with the OnePlus and somewhat impatient to wait for the OTA you can now easily enough flash CM12 onto it.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                                                                                                                      "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post

Comment

Is this idea of totally free GP visits for under 6s with no means testing absolutely crazy or is there something I'm missing that makes it not terrible?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X