This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
    It'd be fine, wouldn't make you the most popular referee but its the way some of them do it. Probably start off with a yellow card first rather than a straight red. Ultimately a good referees attitude should be to look for ways to not give a red rather than ways to give a red.
    Re the money, also worth pointing out that revenue have never had an issue with it, i.e., you don't have to declare it and give up 52%.

You'll have to do a course to start with for free though, think its about 12 to 16 weeks, one evening a week. Ring the FAI for details of the start of the next one, runs a few times a year.
    You would want to add a zero to get me to do it. In fact I'd say paying what sounds like useful money would guarantee you would get lots of refs who really shouldn't be doing it.

Agree with your point about looking for ways not to give a red. The pre-emptive 'sub yer man before he does something really stupid' instruction to the captain usually works. I've never given a red (but I have sinbinned a lad for 20 minutes).
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by dobman88 View Post
      Why? Should you not be kinda happy for a guy you personally know?
      Don't really know him. Just from same area and school. His debut marking Jan Koller out of the game was promising, steadily gotten worse since. He's pretty terrible when it comes to the top level.

I'm a big fan of football and the Irish national team. That is why!

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
        That stuff happens all the time in Sunday League football. Depending on where you are the match could get heated and end up in fights and stuff but the ref rarely gets touched. Gets a lot of abuse though.
        You're really selling this.

And people wonder why the standard of officiating in soccer is shite!

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

It is pretty bad at Sunday League level cause it is one man doing a job that FIFA still haven't worked out how to do properly.

Big matches in Cups you will get linesmen. Helps a lot.

Go up to LOI and you will get the best of these refs who are decent.

Go up to Premier League and you will get goal line technology with the cream of the crop of refs.

Go up to Champions League you get 2 extra linesmen behind goals and no technology.

The game needs TV officials asap.

Comment

It is pretty bad at Sunday League level cause it is one man doing a job that FIFA still haven't worked out how to do properly.
            Two refs. Easy!

Comment

Don't really know him. Just from same area and school. His debut marking Jan Koller out of the game was promising, steadily gotten worse since. He's pretty terrible when it comes to the top level.

I'm a big fan of football and the Irish national team. That is why!
              That's the answer I was hoping for.

That stuff happens all the time in Sunday League football. Depending on where you are the match could get heated and end up in fights and stuff but the ref rarely gets touched. Gets a lot of abuse though. You need a thick skin.

Rathnew and Tallaght were the only places I witnessed bad fighting and abandoned games.

http://www.radiokerry.ie/sport/2-yea...feree-assault/ Assault is putting it mildly.

Comment

Two refs. Easy!
                Answered that in my edit. Refereeing is always going to be below par til somebody is watching everything.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                  Was just looking at the oscar odds. Is it common that there'd be some sort of upset or is it pretty much decided already and all the odds on favs win?

Watched all the short film nominee's last week in lighthouse. They weren't that great overall. The favourite "Phonecall" was decent but the best what the northern Irish one "Boogaloo and Graham"
                  Close for best film and best director, but best director has to go to linklater.

Interesting one is princess kaguya in the animated. bh6 and httyd2 are massive favorites, but kaguya is amazing. Hand drawn and beautiful, it beats the other 2 hands down in so many departments, but unfortunately it's a little long for the actual story that's presented.

Anyway, worth a small punt at 14 to 1 imo

Comment

The game needs TV officials asap.
                    Be careful what you wish for. Rugby has disappeared up its own hole with overuse of the video ref destroying continuity in games.

Comment

Answered that in my edit. Refereeing is always going to be below par til somebody is watching everything.
                      It is a lot to put up with for what is supposed to be a weekend hobby and only getting 50 or 60 quid a game they get some abuse.

RDIII, what sport do you officiate?

Comment

@dobman. Assume the Guards are involved?

Two year ban is ludicrous btw. Should be at least ten.

Comment

It is a lot to put up with for what is supposed to be a weekend hobby and only getting 50 or 60 quid a game they get some abuse.

RDIII, what sport do you officiate?
                          Hockey. Although I choose to do it at Division 4 level to suit familial commitments (dare I say it, I could do much higher).

Comment

€42 a game seems to be the current rate for the AUL in Dublin, not a path to a fortune by any means but decent enough pocket money. 3x90 min games is realistically the most you'd want to do it on a weekend, and it'd take around 7 hours of yer leisure time even though they try to assign you local grounds where possible. Bound to be some overheads as well, presumably would need 2 refs kits to avoid clashes, and have to replace them every few years.

Probably would have to have a decent core love for the game to consider it.

I actually applied around 15 years ago but was told I wouldn't be able to be a ref whilst I was still playing because of possible conflict of interest - I thought that was a farcical bit of FAI logic. Because I'm playing for X senior team on a Sunday apparently I couldn't be trusted to ref some U16s game on a Saturday because of the potential for me to be seen as biased or holding a grudge re prior incidents with their related senior teams.

Comment

@dobman. Assume the Guards are involved?

Two year ban is ludicrous btw. Should be at least ten.
                              No, the guards are not involved. No prizes for guessing who the lad is related to....

At this level he should just be banned for life imo. It's just a game and a hobby for players and officials. I wouldn't like to rock into work on Monday morning with black eyes and bruises. The refs shouldn't have to either.

Presume you do field hockey and not a tame indoor version with the soft balls?

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

€42 a game seems to be the current rate for the AUL in Dublin, not a path to a fortune by any means but decent enough pocket money. 3x90 min games is realistically the most you'd want to do it on a weekend, and it'd take around 7 hours of yer leisure time even though they try to assign you local grounds where possible. Bound to be some overheads as well, presumably would need 2 refs kits to avoid clashes, and have to replace them every few years.

Probably would have to have a decent core love for the game to consider it.

I actually applied around 15 years ago but was told I wouldn't be able to be a ref whilst I was still playing because of possible conflict of interest - I thought that was a farcical bit of FAI logic. Because I'm playing for X senior team on a Sunday apparently I couldn't be trusted to ref some U16s game on a Saturday because of the potential for me to be seen as biased or holding a grudge re prior incidents with their related senior teams.
                                  Same down here. I wanted to do a ref course for when I stop playing but was told to wait cos I can't ref while registered to a club. All I wanted to do was ref U-12 and the like on a Saturday morning. Will definitely look into it when I stop playing though.

Comment

lol, so typical.

Yet there is countless clubs that have their home games reffed by someone connected to the club or with relatives on the team.

For a few years when we played away in Greystones the Refs little bro played for them and Da managed the team. There was only 3 teams in that league so we played them a lot.

Laughable.

Comment

The thing is it all comes down to a sport's tolerance for abuse of refs.

Soccer and GAA have a major problem in this regard. It's perceived to be perfectly acceptable to verbally abuse and jostle referees. I can't understand how any sane person would get any enjoyment out of officiating either.

Rugby for example does not.

Sin bins could play a major part in soccer. If a yellow was given for abuse and this put you out of the game for 10 mins, you would very soon find that teams would become self-policing.
                                      Although you would have to apply something similar to managers too. Chelsea scored one goal at home yesterday against a shit team that cost less than 10% of their outlay yet Jose is able to dodge his own shit performance with guff about the ref (they all do if, he's just the example that springs to mind)
                                      Last edited by Raoul Duke III; 22-02-15, 22:16.

Comment

Comment

No, the guards are not involved. No prizes for guessing who the lad is related to....

At this level he should just be banned for life imo. It's just a game and a hobby for players and officials. I wouldn't like to rock into work on Monday morning with black eyes and bruises. The refs shouldn't have to either.

Presume you do field hockey and not a tame indoor version with the soft balls?
                                          There is no version with soft balls . Indoor is more dangerous imo.

Comment

Used to get €30 a game for refereeing GAA underage games. 25mins a half.

Could easily get two games back to back on a Saturday morning and be back home before lunch nursing the hangover.

I remember being told we weren't allowed send kids off. That if someone did something that should be a red, that you'd to tell their manager they were being taken off and they'd to be replaced.

Only happened once, told the manager (bear in mind I was a spotty 17 year old and he was a 50+ year old man) that he'd to take the overgrown lump of an 11 year old playing midfield who was twice everyone else's size off the pitch cause he'd just burst someone open. The cunt just looks me in the eyes and says "He's playing, ref, nothing you can do about it" and turned around and walked off.

Was a bizarre situation. Kid played on and almost killed someone else at one stage. Think I played 17 minutes in the second half. Got fired a few months later after turning up half cut from the night before and not leaving the middle of the pitch once for the game.

Comment

...Talking about Referees...About 15 years ago, my dad was a referee for a sunday league cup tie.. Normal match, went to extra time and then penalties... Just before the penalty shoot out, 2 men on a motorbike came onto the pitch and starting shooting at one of the players, and one of the bullets hit my dad in the leg...Wasn't too bad at all, but abandoned the match... He actually received abuse from one of the managers for abandoning it, as all he had to do was stand there and blow the whistle...
                                              ...Tldr, my dad is a pussy...

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
                                                ...Talking about Referees...About 15 years ago, my dad was a referee for a sunday league cup tie.. Normal match, went to extra time and then penalties... Just before the penalty shoot out, 2 men on a motorbike came onto the pitch and starting shooting at one of the players, and one of the bullets hit my dad in the leg...Wasn't too bad at all, but abandoned the match... He actually received abuse from one of the managers for abandoning it, as all he had to do was stand there and blow the whistle...
                                                ...Tldr, my dad is a pussy...

Comment

Comment

There is no version with soft balls . Indoor is more dangerous imo.
                                                    Some lads down here play for fun one night a week in the local leisure centre and the ball is a soft foamy type thing. I thought that was a general thing but obviously not.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                      Was around in a pal's house earlier who has a few week old kid with his German wife. A few times during lunch the baby would start crying and out would come her breast and the baby would start sucking away. Like we're there eating and then suddenly there's a breast showing situation. Not a subtle Irish form of discreet feeding, just a pure 'here's my breasts, anyone want milk?'. Is that unusual? It seemed unusual.
                                                      We need a feminist on this site to attack posts like this for entertainment.

Those Euros are different breed Hitch. They call us European but we are nothing like them.

Comment

Comment

Big matches in Cups you will get linesmen. Helps a lot.
                                                          Two refs. Easy!
                                                          I was unlucky enough to be the money man for a while in a club (only one who'd done his leaving cert I think!!!) and this sort of talk would cause me sweats because it would mean 3x referee payments for that game, as linesman got the same amount. Would totally skew the 'books'.

Used to dread the phone call from the league admin guy ("Hello John, last 16 clash against your local rivals and there was 3 red cards when you played them last month, I'll assign you linesmen to that". "Nah not needed, all sorted out after that game, peace and love between the teams and it'll pass off without problem, guaranteed". Then ring the opposition admin guy and get him to stick to the same story.

Horror being the 'treasurer' of a small local team, so many bills that people don't think of. Have to pay a man with a van for transport to and from games, a launderette to make some sort of effort at cleaning muck encrusted kits, £8 for someone to chalk mark the pitch before each home game, £10 to the St Johns Ambulance from each of the teams if they stationed a unit at the ground, £15 to the local community centre for an hours use midweek. And players who thought you were ripping them off by looking for a few quid subs money before each game.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                            They really are!

You just don't turn up for Sunday lunch with your pal expecting to see breasts at the table.
                                                            Added bonus imo. Nothing wrong with a bit of boobage to make a boring Sunday lunch go a bit quicker. Stop complaining

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                              I never listened to Damien Dempsey until a week or so ago, and only knew the name. The guy's a poet, and I'm loving some of his stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDAc6xUFddQ
                                                              He's excellent.
                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                Oh Lord lol

I would say that was taken in Cathal Brua street in cashel, picked up a few refugees and gave them a fiver to pose

That is intensely annoying.
                                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Should make an IPB team and enter those leagues like Boards did. Get to their level then smash them.
                                                                  ...When are the Trials?...I'm shite but Left Footed so a special kind of Shite...

Comment

...When are the Trials?...I'm shite but Left Footed so a special kind of Shite...
                                                                    I think I know someone who can be our club treasurer.

Comment

Comment

Better to be left footed and shite than right footed and shite.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                          That is intensely annoying.
                                                                          Yea it would have been much more fun if it was #JeSuisDerek

Edit
                                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Comment

Most(maybe all) websites not allowing acca's on the oscars. Me no likey!!
                                                                              Go big or go homeless.

Comment

there was a ref down in Limerick who used bet on the games he was officiating. How you can do that and not get banned from refereeing for life, I'll never know.

Decided I want to get back to playing at a decent level myself next season. Need to lose around 25kg so have to properly start working on that now, reckon I should be grand by the time pre-season starts in August. Was considering getting some sort of weight loss bet going if anyone had any interest.

Biggest week of my coaching life thus far this week though, hoping UL can win the Collingwood Cup for the first time ever. It's the biggest prize in University soccer and being the first ever UL team to win it would be immense. Squad is really strong so v confident in our chances.
                                                                                Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

American Horror Story Freak Show is abdolutefuckibg shite why did they make it?
                                                                                  Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

all you can eat meal in umi falafel was best ever /collapse

Comment

Originally posted by Jam-Fly View Post
                                                                                      there was a ref down in Limerick who used bet on the games he was officiating. How you can do that and not get banned from refereeing for life, I'll never know.

Decided I want to get back to playing at a decent level myself next season. Need to lose around 25kg so have to properly start working on that now, reckon I should be grand by the time pre-season starts in August. Was considering getting some sort of weight loss bet going if anyone had any interest.

Biggest week of my coaching life thus far this week though, hoping UL can win the Collingwood Cup for the first time ever. It's the biggest prize in University soccer and being the first ever UL team to win it would be immense. Squad is really strong so v confident in our chances.
                                                                                      Are ye in the final? I was wondering why my cash-out option went from like 2/3 of bet to 10/11th's.
                                                                                      If ye are in the final and I am still being offered less than my initial stake then that's just pathetic. Thanks for the few hundo if ye win m8
                                                                                      Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                                                                        American Horror Story Freak Show is abdolutefuckibg shite why did they make it?
                                                                                        I had high hopes for it but only lasted about 4 eps.
                                                                                        Its a shame because asylum was so good

Comment

So many horrible films up for awards tonight, as long as Imitation game and Cumberbatch get snubbed to fuck I'll even be happy for wes Anderson. don't want to see Eddie Redmayne walk away with an oscar either
                                                                                          Caught the Babadook at the weekend, well deserving of the hype on here, watched it in the wee hours in a darkened room by myself, and got the chills for the first time in ages
                                                                                          Last edited by Guest; 22-02-15, 23:53.

Comment

Where/when is the final on? Wouldn't mind a little road trip if it wasn't too far. Best of luck with it.

Comment

GeoGuessr is a geography game which takes you on a journey around the world and challenges your ability to recognize your surroundings.

May have been posted already. Guess where in the world you are from Google images.
                                                                                              Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                                                                                Are ye in the final? I was wondering why my cash-out option went from like 2/3 of bet to 10/11th's.
                                                                                                If ye are in the final and I am still being offered less than my initial stake then that's just pathetic. Thanks for the few hundo if ye win m8
                                                                                                Where/when is the final on? Wouldn't mind a little road trip if it wasn't too far. Best of luck with it.
                                                                                                no, it's a week long tournament from first round to final (kinda similar to Kennedy Cup). First round match is tomorrow morning at 11am vs Coleraine, and hopefully the final will be 4pm on Thursday in Eamonn Deacy Park. The predicted route is Coleraine in round 1, Trinity in QFs, UCD in SFs and whoever makes it through from the other side of the draw in the final. I'll post again if we're there on Thursday!

The price started out at 9/1 and has come in to 6/1, so I'd say that's why your cash out option has improved! 9/1 was a great price, 6/1 is a little more realistic, but still probably the best available bet of the tournament. UCD at 5/2 or UCC at 4/1 for example are absolutely atrocious value.
                                                                                                Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Originally posted by tipp86 View Post
                                                                                                  https://www.geoguessr.com

May have been posted already. Guess where in the world you are from Google images.
                                                                                                  That's difficult, didn't so much as get one in five in the right continent never mind being remotely close to the country.
                                                                                                  Profit before people.

Comment

actually, how much did you end being able to get on? €50 or €100 or something yeah?
                                                                                                    Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Originally posted by tipp86 View Post
                                                                                                      https://www.geoguessr.com

got first three in the correct country (Mexico, USA, France), but bottled the last two. Fourth image looked Westernized/English speaking, but didn't think USA would be an option again, so went with Australia - probably a -EV option because if you're wrong, you're really wrong. Ended up being f'ing America again. Fifth looked like Mexico again so went with that, but ended up being Portugal.
                                                                                                      Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

got first three in the correct country (Mexico, USA, France), but bottled the last two. Fourth image looked Westernized/English speaking, but didn't think USA would be an option again, so went with Australia - probably a -EV option because if you're wrong, you're really wrong. Ended up being f'ing America again. Fifth looked like Mexico again so went with that, but ended up being Portugal.
                                                                                                        Did you not scan around to look for a traffic sign or something. I got one from a sign on the side of a building.

Comment

Did you not scan around to look for a traffic sign or something. I got one from a sign on the side of a building.
                                                                                                          I rushed the final one tbh...but sure Spanish, Portugeese, tis all the same to me.
                                                                                                          Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

As you are all aware, Gerry Adams' tweets are by far the most humorous among the politicians. His clever wit and quirky goings on are similar to that of Larry David from Curb Your Enthusiasm. He's so …

7 hilarious gerry Adams tweets
                                                                                                            1 and 3 are gold

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                                                              That's difficult, didn't so much as get one in five in the right continent never mind being remotely close to the country.
                                                                                                              I think I ran good and got several within a few hundred. Australia is the big risk as anywhere that looks barren I tend to want to hit Australia.
                                                                                                              Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

I rushed the final one tbh...but sure Spanish, Portugeese, tis all the same to me.
                                                                                                                Kinda disappointed with my one that I recognised Finnish writing but got mixed up on the map between Finland and Norway!

Comment

I saw Silver Linings Playbook last night for the first time. I had heard of it but somehow managed to avoid knowing it had been such a massive Oscars success or what it was about. I was blown away by it, amazing film imo.

I have also concluded that Bradley Cooper is an incredible actor, whereas until a month ago I had a vague sense he annoyed me. Probably based entirely on my aversion to American Hustle.

Comment

actually, how much did you end being able to get on? €50 or €100 or something yeah?
                                                                                                                    Put 18 on as was max bet, the week after it was still the same price so threw another 18 on(I learned something new that week that the max bets reset apparently, not exactly sure how/why/wtf etc)

I might have another tenner in a docket but can't remember if I followed through. €36 defo on though as can see it right now. No pressure.
                                                                                                                    Last edited by mdoug; 23-02-15, 00:24.
                                                                                                                    Go big or go homeless.

Comment

England are absolutely dreadful. I reckon I could keep a better run rate than Bell. What a wasted opportunity after their first 20 overs.
                                                                                                                      You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                                      World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                                                                        England are absolutely dreadful. I reckon I could keep a better run rate than Bell. What a wasted opportunity after their first 20 overs.
                                                                                                                        BBV curse clearly doesn't apply to vomit-inducingly awful English batting performances. First over of the batting powerplay was a wicket maiden. Absolutely dreadful side right now.
                                                                                                                        You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                                        World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

some context for the above gaza pic.
                                                                                                                          This is the camp it was taken at.

I'm sure the water5 are in their thoughts and prayers at all times
                                                                                                                          the ignorance of using people in a refugee camp to further their cause or highlight the 'plight' of people in wheatfield is astounding
                                                                                                                          Last edited by DeadParrot; 23-02-15, 00:56.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X