This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
    Obviously it's highly militarised but I don't think that's an apt comparison.
    There are external similarities - it is surrounded by neighbours that are unfriendly, some of whom actively promote armed struggle against it.
    Internally, not at all. South Africa legally codified racism whereas you will find people of all colours and faiths in Israel's parliament and institutions. A vibrant press (much more so than here). Israel is one of the most multicultural countries in the world.

Of course they do. Given the history, it's hardly surprising that they choose retaliation in overwhelming force as the default option.
    I said more apt, I didn't say perfect.

Also Israel are just better at their apartheid. It's directed singularly at the Palestinians. Restrictions on freedom of expression specifically for Palestinians, arrest, detention and torture of children, targeted arrests for Palestinian journalists, Palestinians being tried by military courts almost regardless of the alleged crime and being denied access to legal counsel during pre-trial interrogation, arrest and detention without trial, illegal blockade of Gaza that lead to the flotilla incident...

Don't get me wrong, I can do an equally shitty list for Palestine. I'm not so naive as to think there's a right and a wrong in this. But you can't really apologise for either side. Israel is a truly despicable country and it's almost understandable why it's reached that point but it's still despicable.
    You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
    World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by dazzler View Post
      Because they're nutcase fundamentalists. Thought we'd already established that? The presence of said nutcase fundamentalists doesn't legitimise the indiscriminate bombardment of a civilian population with nowhere to run.
      Elected nutcase fundamentalists.

The people of Gaza chose these nutters. The kind of nutters who hide rockets in schools (as reported by the UN). You have to admit there's a large element of self-infliction here. No-one is lobbing weaponry into West Jerusalem from the West Bank.

By the way, I'm not blindly pro-Israeli. The settler activity in the West Bank is completely unjustifiable and a major impediment to peace.
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
        I find it peculiar to have staunch support for either side tbh.
        This. A thousand times this.

Comment

Colm paid what he owed to his canadian mobile phone company and they sent him an email saying to back up and restore on itunes and then his phone would be unblocked. I was trying to sort it for hours last night. the problem is the turn off find my iphone, you have to sign in to icloud which he knows nothing about. the email address is @icloud and i presumed it would have been his apple ID plus same password. there is no option to change email to @gmail.com as its greyed out. some fucking pain in the hole. anyone know what to do?
          Her sky-ness
          © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
            Israel is a truly despicable country
            Who else would you place in that bracket?

Just to give me some context.

Comment

Elected nutcase fundamentalists.

The people of Gaza chose these nutters. The kind of nutters who hide rockets in schools (as reported by the UN). You have to admit there's a large element of self-infliction here. No-one is lobbing weaponry into West Jerusalem from the West Bank.

By the way, I'm not blindly pro-Israeli. The settler activity in the West Bank is completely unjustifiable and a major impediment to peace.
              Given the history, what do you think would happen if Hamas stopped? Or disarmed?
              This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Who else would you place in that bracket?

Just to give me some context.
                Oh it's a long and glorious list.

Don't be so trite though, you know what I mean and I am certain you aren't as pro-anyone as you're making yourself out to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                  Given the history, what do you think would happen if Hamas stopped? Or disarmed?
                  They can't stop. Driving the Jews into the sea is their reason for existence.

Now if the PLO could regain political control of Gaza, that would be potentially a game-changer. They may be stupid, corrupt and incompetent but they at least they don't take their orders directly from Allah.

Comment

Oh it's a long and glorious list.

Don't be so trite though, you know what I mean and I am certain you aren't as pro-anyone as you're making yourself out to be.
                    It's not trite at all. Certainly some aspects of the Israeli state are objectionable but others are highly admirable. You've ignored that and made an absolutist statement.

So who else qualifies for the despicable tag?
                    Iran? Pakistan? China? France? The US?

Comment

It's not trite at all. Certainly some aspects of the Israeli state are objectionable but others are highly admirable. You've ignored that and made an absolutist statement.

So who else qualifies for the despicable tag?
                      Iran? Pakistan? China? France? The US?
                      Most of the countries in their neighbourhood would be gimmies I'd have thought.

Comment

They can't stop. Driving the Jews into the sea is their reason for existence.

Now if the PLO could regain political control of Gaza, that would be potentially a game-changer. They may be stupid, corrupt and incompetent but they at least they don't take their orders directly from Allah.
                        Its gas that you ridicule Hamas for ridiculous religuous followings but not Israel given the history.
                        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                          When my cousin was killed in an accident in Thailand the ambulance crew stole his watch and jewellery.

The nut cunt thing to do. No matter what your poverty level.
                          Friend, wheelchair user, was in Portugal on hols. All his family using the water slides and he minded their wallets/etc. Some cunt tried to rob the wallets off him. He fucked them from a height until some lads came to his rescue. What kind of scumbags would do that?

Next day he is sitting there again, with an upturned baseball cap in his lap. Some lad comes over and throws €2 into it

Originally posted by Michelle SatNav View Post
                          Colm paid what he owed to his canadian mobile phone company and they sent him an email saying to back up and restore on itunes and then his phone would be unblocked. I was trying to sort it for hours last night. the problem is the turn off find my iphone, you have to sign in to icloud which he knows nothing about. the email address is @icloud and i presumed it would have been his apple ID plus same password. there is no option to change email to @gmail.com as its greyed out. some fucking pain in the hole. anyone know what to do?
                          Right, enough with this Israel/Russia shit, lets get back to the real issues (sorry satnav)

Comment

I never ignored the good things about Israel. For one it's probably the only country on earth where it's absolutely ok to be a Jew. That such a state of affairs is true is a shocking indictment of the rest of the world. Nor am I pro-Palestine. Like I said I can do a bad list for both. I also did not make an absolutist statement, in fact I specifically qualified it by saying it was almost understandable how they reached this point.

I use the word despicable because of their crimes. No matter how much good someone does, when their crimes are heinous we judge them by those and we give very little in the way of mitigation for the positives they bring to the world. That's not just me.

Obviously by my reasoning almost every country on earth is despicable in some sense but that's not the point. We can't view either Israel or Palestine as the victims or the villains. They are both. The idea that you could take sides in this conflict is unsettling to me. They don't need allies in a playground fight, they need someone to step in and hold them apart until they can calm down and come to a solution.

Comment

Its gas that you ridicule Hamas for ridiculous religuous followings but not Israel given the history.
                              Most Israeli jews are secular. <10% could be classified as ultra-orthodox.

Ask anyone who's ever been to Tel Aviv about the religious context to life there and they will look at you like you have two heads.

Comment

They don't need allies in a playground fight, they need someone to step in and hold them apart until they can calm down and come to a solution.
                                That already happened and Arafat wrecked it. History again.

Comment

I've seen figures that up to 80% of Israelis are more or less secular tbf

EDIT: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004Jul10.html

Prob a tenuous enough figure
                                  Last edited by Keane; 18-07-14, 09:40.

Comment

Israel need to up their PR game imo.
                                    I think being a spokesman for the foreign ministry would be a very difficult job in most parts of the world.

While Hamas are undoubtedly dangerous fundamentalists (imo), they will continue to gain public support given the news stories coming out of the region.

The nation of israel always had an ungodly sense of entitlement
                                    Double-decker bus enthusiast

Comment

Most Israeli jews are secular. <10% could be classified as ultra-orthodox.

Ask anyone who's ever been to Tel Aviv about the religious context to life there and they will look at you like you have two heads.
                                      My point was that you can't beat Hamas with a religious stick and not the Irsaelis given their initial claims to the holy land.

Comment

That already happened and Arafat wrecked it. History again.
                                        Sure Palestinian leaders have been making ridiculously stupid decisions that fundamentally weakened their position since 1922. He was just being traditional

Comment

I'm pretty sure he would have had to set up an @me or @icloud email address when he was setting up his phone , would have had to set a password as well.
                                          Go into the email app on his phone, should be able to get the address there.

Comment

Frank Flannery interview with Sean O'Rourke was class. Its all been so unfair on poor Frank
                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by darwinatemyhamster View Post
                                              I'm pretty sure he would have had to set up an @me or @icloud email address when he was setting up his phone , would have had to set a password as well.
                                              Go into the email app on his phone, should be able to get the address there.
                                              he is useless with techy stuff, prob set it up randomly with a random password. we have tried every single password and no joy. do you mean go into his gmail and check old emails to see is there something there?

I really would love to smash it against a wall!
                                              Her sky-ness
                                              © 5starpool

Comment

My point was that you can't beat Hamas with a religious stick and not the Irsaelis given their initial claims to the holy land.
                                                Google Chaim Weizmann please.

Then withdraw your remarks.

Comment

he is useless with techy stuff, prob set it up randomly with a random password. we have tried every single password and no joy. do you mean go into his gmail and check old emails to see is there something there?

I really would love to smash it against a wall!
                                                  There should be an email icon at the bottom of his home screen, any receipts for apps and itune purchases would be mailed to that address. It would be an Apple email. I can't help with the password I'm afraid!

Comment

Originally posted by darwinatemyhamster View Post
                                                    There should be an email icon at the bottom of his home screen, any receipts for apps and itune purchases would be mailed to that address. It would be an Apple email. I can't help with the password I'm afraid!
                                                    thats the problem, when I go to icloud on phone to turn off find my iphone which I need to do to reset the phone , the email in icloud is colm@icloud as opposed to colm @gmail which would be his apple ID. we know his password for apple ID. it wont give me an option to change icloud to gmail
                                                    Her sky-ness
                                                    © 5starpool

Comment

Google Chaim Weizmann please.

Then withdraw your remarks.
                                                      I assume you mean Israel wasn't founded as a Jewish state, but as a homeland for the Jewish people? Which is fair.

For all that matters though, Israel was chosen to be where it is because of the signficance religiously and historically despite the fact that most Israelis are secular nowadays. They could have went elsewhere. Granted Id wish no one to live in Uganda.

Comment

I assume you mean Israel wasn't founded as a Jewish state, but as a homeland for the Jewish people? Which is fair.

For all that matters though, Israel was chosen to be where it is because of the signficance religiously and historically despite the fact that most Israelis are secular nowadays. They could have went elsewhere. Granted Id wish no one to live in Uganda.
                                                        You're not far off. They nearly ended up in Madagascar.

Comment

You're not far off. They nearly ended up in Madagascar.
                                                          They were offered Uganda in 1903, or a part of it anyway. By they I mean one branch of the Zionist movement.

Comment

They were offered Uganda in 1903, or a part of it anyway. By they I mean one branch of the Zionist movement.
                                                            Vague memory of some autonomous jewish territory in Siberia too.

Comment

Potential pats v Celtic champions league tie

Comment

Kimberly in Australia and Alaska were also serious suggestions that would have had some merit.
                                                                Cyprus and Bavaria were put forward though would probably have caused lots of problems.
                                                                @RD3, I think Madagascar wasn't put forward as a solution as such, more as an island prison camp idea by the Nazis.

Comment

Utah or New Mexico would have been ideal.
                                                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I called Apple support who were a great help in fairness. should be sorted in 24 hours.
                                                                    Her sky-ness
                                                                    © 5starpool

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                        Utah or New Mexico would have been ideal.
                                                                        Or Prussia.

Comment

We could have given them the North.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                              Ridic amount of people have said that when they went on those big backpacking trips to South America / Asia that the 20-something Israeli is the absolute nut-worst traveler.
                                                                              Without a doubt.

Comment

Ridic amount of people have said that when they went on those big backpacking trips to South America / Asia that the 20-something Israeli is the absolute nut-worst traveler.
                                                                                I ran a hostel for 12 Months in Oz and from experience 110% agree

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                                                                                  They're still welcome to Cork.

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                                                                                    Imagine the Jewish nation being neighbours with Cavan.
                                                                                    ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Absolute cunts esp in poor countrys roaring at locals over few cents buying a t shirt etc.
                                                                                      Must still think they are in the holy land abusing Palestinians.

Comment

Do like the way the Tour coverage on Eurosport is sponsored by the Israeli Ministry for Tourism

Comment

ok so ive been trying to read as much as I can on the Israel conflict and I think I have a good grasp of how things got to where they are. Can anyone explain why America still supports Israel today? Whats the motive?

Comment

can confirm 100%. was backpacking all last summer and by far the worst nut cnut was a 22 year old Israeli. An IPB'r was so put out by his wankerish ways that he threw biscuit crumbs all over his bed (obv in a drunk state when the room was empty) bt was still pretty funny

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
                                                                                              ok so ive been trying to read as much as I can on the Israel conflict and I think I have a good grasp of how things got to where they are. Can anyone explain why America still supports Israel today? Whats the motive?
                                                                                              Just a guess but the fact that the Jewish lobby is the most powerful interest group in American politics and has been so since 1948?

Israel would not exist if that wasn't the case. So I guess we can blame HST.

Comment

LOL Yeah fond memories of meeting on of the most despicable human beings in the world travelling in Asia. Israeli obv.

Comment

Jewish vote if i was to guess.
                                                                                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

In all this terrible news cycle there is still some happiness.

Tickets booked for the monkeys on horses tomorrow afternoon, was going to go today but circumcisions prevented that.
                                                                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

can confirm 100%. was backpacking all last summer and by far the worst nut cnut was a 22 year old Israeli. An IPB'r was so put out by his wankerish ways that he threw biscuit crumbs all over his bed (obv in a drunk state when the room was empty) bt was still pretty funny
                                                                                                      What a vengeful soul.
                                                                                                      Mate of mine done something similar to a very unlikeable english chap we worked and lived with in the sticks with a bloody pigs head.
                                                                                                      Thankfully he was petrified after it and moved on or things may have escalated badly.

Comment

Mick; always with the pigs!

Comment

...

Comment

Strong ally in an area that clearly the US has an interest in?

Comment

Without a doubt.
                                                                                                              Originally posted by Megatron View Post
                                                                                                              I ran a hostel for 12 Months in Oz and from experience 110% agree
                                                                                                              Why is that?, examples?

Comment

Nah, don't think that's it. 80% of Jewish vote is Democratic and assumed to be based on the Dems liberal domestic social policy. They don't seem to vote based on Israel, otherwise they'd be heavily Republican.
                                                                                                                lol

You will never find any American election candidate ever saying anything remotely negative about Israel. Democratic or Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                                                                                                                  Why is that?, examples?
                                                                                                                  I dont know is it because usually they flee after military service and are very aggressive macho- guys obv.
                                                                                                                  The way i have seen them being verbaly abusive to native asians is sickening and give backpackers a bad name.
                                                                                                                  Aversion of prok related products makes them untrustworthy and possibly treachorus.

Comment

The Jewish are powerful alright. Cant find the podcast but remember Ronan Tynan telling Derek Mooney on Radio1 i think it was about how he got shutout of NY after a misplaced remark.

EDIT: Here it is
                                                                                                                    Last edited by rounders123; 18-07-14, 14:22. Reason: Mooney

Comment

I do remember coming across young Israelis in my backpacking days too and judging them to be fairly cuntish individuals.

Although us idiot west European liberal types would undoubtedly be even bigger pricks after a couple of years in an army surrounded by millions who want us dead. Context dudes. Context.

Comment

Interesting story on British journalist who quit Russia Today over coverage of incident:

Sara Firth criticises Kremlin-backed news channel’s ‘disrespect for facts’ in reports about Malaysia Airlines plane disaster By John Plunkett

Comment

I do remember coming across young Israelis in my backpacking days too and judging them to be fairly cuntish individuals.

Although us idiot west European liberal types would undoubtedly be even bigger pricks after a couple of years in an army surrounded by millions who want us dead. Context dudes. Context.
                                                                                                                          Philip Roth talks about this quite a bit in his writings. He says that young Israeli men and women are taught to treat foreigners with aggression by default, in order to avoid being percieved as weak and be led meekly to another holocaust.

p.s. Read everything Roth every wrote. The man is an amazing writer and thinker.
                                                                                                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X