Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those gourmet sausages are absolute crack.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

What I've learnt over the last couple of years from selling the stuff we sell is that there's a buoyant and steady market for luxury items.
      I have this with my other half, Clinical Psycologist. I am trying to tell her to find the most expensive practitioner in Ireland and charge 30% more than them. She'll have a queue out the door.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
        Those gourmet sausages are absolute crack.
        The lamb were excellent. I think id rather fry them gently rather than BBQ them though.

Should have said will also contribute to the brisket purchase! I am speaking on behalf of RDIII when I say that he also commits to the same terms as me.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak View Post

The lamb were excellent. I think id rather fry them gently rather than BBQ them though.

Should have said will also contribute to the brisket purchase! I am speaking on behalf of RDIII when I say that he also commits to the same terms as me.
          Didn't need to be said tbf.

Just name the date Chef Zuut.
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I think since he isnt here, we can also nominate him to host. Im sure he wouldn't mind.

Edit: Oh shit he is here!

Comment

I think since he isnt here, we can also nominate him to host. Im sure he wouldn't mind.

Edit: Oh shit he is here!
              Tell us your brisket recipe so we can work out the wine strategy

Comment

In for Brisket. Will contribute wine.

There is incredible substance to what they do. It's all done very well. I got T-Bone for me and Fillet for herself for this evenings BBQ. I also got a selection of Lamb, Toulouse style, and Italian style sausages. I had the lamb ones on the BBQ also. Got a batch of burgers, some Cote De Boeuf, Ribeye, Rashers, etc..

T-Bone @ 39e/kg
                Fillet @ 61e/kg
                Sausages @ 16.5e/kg
                Large Rib Eye Burgers (bullshit) @ 2.75 ea
                4oz burgers @ 1.75 ea
                Cote De Boeuf @ 39e/kg
                Rashers @ 15.953/kg
                Rib Eye @ 43e/kg
                All way overs compared to normal, but not really all that expensive either for the absolute quality of what they are selling. They are letting the meat do the talking vs say James Whelan who while they have a good product are forcing it down your throat with enormous portions of pure bollocks.
                With bbq season underway, I need to commit to going out there early on a Saturday morning and buying a ton of meat. Motivated now for the BH weekend!

One thing you didn't mention, that sp will be familiar with, is they usually have a few boerwors tucked away for customers in the know. Worth getting a few and they freeze well when vacuum packed.

Comment

You should have spun out to Jus de Vin in Portmarnock too GAB. Just an excellent wine shop.

Potato room in Burdocks for the Northside food trifecta.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

With bbq season underway, I need to commit to going out there early on a Saturday morning and buying a ton of meat. Motivated now for the BH weekend!

One thing you didn't mention, that sp will be familiar with, is they usually have a few boerwors tucked away for customers in the know. Worth getting a few and they freeze well when vacuum packed.
                    Ah now they look interesting. I think that I’ve broken my duck there ill be back with some more frequency.

Comment

You should have spun out to Jus de Vin in Portmarnock too GAB. Just an excellent wine shop.
                      I’ll do that on my next golf trip

Comment

Seems to me that Saturday aug 3 would a perfect evening for brisket and wine…

…just sayin’
                        Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Tell us your brisket recipe so we can work out the wine strategy
                          The Aaron Franklins of the world (defacto BBQ GOAT who looks like a Silicon Valley type) would have you believe that salt and pepper only is the way to go. Lots of people dont believe thats all he uses though. I tend to cover the thing in Hardcore Carnivore black rub and I think its ideal. Usually cook with competition blend pellets which contains oak, hickory, and cherry. I think Rhone wines are usually recommended for BBQ.

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                            Seems to me that Saturday aug 3 would a perfect evening for brisket and wine…

…just sayin’
                            I will be enroute from Gibraltar to Motril on the Norwegian Viva that day Im afraid!

Comment

Seems like your priorities are all messed up
                              Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                                Seems like your priorities are all messed up
                                No problem, he can just make his bbq facilities available to us and we'll set up the poker table in the front room.

Comment

There needs to be a venue where you can rent the space, have waiters and a bar and cook your own BBQ.

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Possible historic mile race coming up on Virgin media 2 soon.

Comment

There needs to be a venue where you can rent the space, have waiters and a bar and cook your own BBQ.
                                      That is one niche requirement!

Comment

You should start your own inventions company - you're on fire!

Comment

Possible historic mile race coming up on Virgin media 2 soon.
                                          Kerr beating Steve Cram's British record.

Super confident display from him. Wonder will Jacob show him respect now.

Hope not, the trash talking is good for the game.

Comment

Kerr beating Steve Cram's British record.

Super confident display from him. Wonder will Jacob show him respect now.

Hope not, the trash talking is good for the game.
                                            Kerr taking on the pace from half way is the big news there.
                                            Normally ingebrigtsen uses his 5k strength
                                            to grind the speed boys down with a sustained drive.
                                            Beating him from the front is a massive
                                            psychological message to send so close to the Olympics.
                                            Doesn't leave the Norwegian any time to adjust his training
                                            so the big question now is how much better he'll be
                                            with more time to recuperate from his injury.
                                            Last edited by DeeBrown; 26-05-24, 04:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

I'll do the BBV a service and go first, I'm going guineas weekend. Might go check out the new stand.
                                              I found this place peculiar. When we pulled up I wondered if we had taken a wrong turn and ended up at one of the barns in Goffs. I’m not a hotel aficionado, but it wasn’t what I expected a four star hotel to look like. The actual rooms are fine, but the balconies have a butlins feel to them.

Going into the lobby the first thing that hit was how loud the hotel was. And when we came back for dinner it was clear why. The restaurant, bar, and lobby are all one long area, with concrete floors and ceilings, and light on furnishings. It’s a huge space and the sound bounces throughout. Whoever designed it is a lunatic. When we sat down the waitress was straining at the top of her voice to talk to us.

The staff are all very friendly but overwhelmed and disconnected, e.g. the waitress mentioned that bread wasn’t included. Which was confusing as it was on the menu. As soon as she turned to walk away, another person arrived with a selection of breads.

The food is great, high quality ingredients, perfectly cooked and well presented. The only thing is, the place feels like I should be eating a carvery, and not the quality of food that they’re putting out. In a different setting it would have been better appreciated.

We retired to the bar afterwards, but it’s just an afterthought stick in the middle of the place, it’s not a particularly inviting plush hotel bar.

Anyway, great food, questionable hotel. It’s like they started out building a Jury’s Inn, and then the operator decided they wanted to be something else.

We went to the Curragh the next day. The new stand has a striking exterior. I haven’t been there in likely 10+ years but the place seemed dead. Most of the bookies I would have been familiar with are gone. Tbh the crowd were more involved in watching sport than the racing. Seems like the racing crowd is dying out.
                                              ​​

Comment

Jus De Vin is my local wine shop. My fav tipple at a reasonable price is Bread and Butter Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. Happy to collect the wine for the IPBBBQ once venue confirmed.
                                                His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Not ashamed to admit I got a little hard reading the BBV this morning.
                                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                    Not ashamed to admit I got a little hard reading the BBV this morning.
                                                    sorry. i've removed the pictures of me tanning now. at ease.
                                                    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Kid gloves out for the Leinster lads in the media as usual
                                                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                      This gallery has 1 photos.
                                                      Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Reading Dennys post but I read recently that the star rating for hotels is not a rating for luxuriousness, or fanciness but a way to quickly decipher cleanliness and what amenities and services they offer.

I’m not sure if that holds true in Europe but I’m sure it’s true here (dunno why it would be different but then we do have different wall outlets I guess).

Lots of people I think mistake the stars for fanciness and maybe over time the rating has evolved.

anyways, I’m heading out for 18.
                                                        This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Was playing the €55 Scoop PKO there with AVG stack and 1 bounty and after the break the graphic had empty table saying "table closed" and not redirected to new table.
                                                          I Clicked on in play and can see my chip stack count dwindling.

Support won't do anything till.after the break and the prick was saying "well it's likely a problem your end"
                                                          I can navigate around the site no problem ...joined a cash game no problem just no tournament table.

Joke
                                                          edit
                                                          Got a refund ...was enjoying it though ..pity

Have a phase 2 this evening so hopefully no glitches.
                                                          Last edited by dinekes; 27-05-24, 16:25.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post
                                                            Jus De Vin is my local wine shop. My fav tipple at a reasonable price is Bread and Butter Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. Happy to collect the wine for the IPBBBQ once venue confirmed.
                                                            I was in need of restocking so went out there earlier today. Pleasant chat with the honcho and a 10% discount later, I headed off with a load of interesting bottles for summer drinking. Great range.

Good craic both of us trying to work out why they have South Africa listed as Old World and Austria as New. Both concluded we had no idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                              Reading Dennys post but I read recently that the star rating for hotels is not a rating for luxuriousness, or fanciness but a way to quickly decipher cleanliness and what amenities and services they offer.

I’m not sure if that holds true in Europe but I’m sure it’s true here (dunno why it would be different but then we do have different wall outlets I guess).

Lots of people I think mistake the stars for fanciness and maybe over time the rating has evolved.

we used to send loads of faculty to Rabat in Morocco when I was in France. There was an internal rating system we used of different pricing depending on whether the hotel was built before or after a particular point. Essentially something to do with the old hotels having all bribed their way to their stars and the new hotels having earned them the proper way. So you might have a five star built in 1990 costing €40 a night, but a four star built in 2010 costing €200 a night. Was an odd thing, that rather than go back and take something away from the politically well connected old hoteliers, they just decided it would be less hassle to have two parallel star systems. I suspect I haven't explained this very well, but it was the subject of quite a few lunch conversations.

Comment

Continuing my recent obsession with maps, I just received this today - 44*37inches. Glad I went for that size, it's incredible. Looking forward to getting it framed and up on my wall, really is a piece of art and history all in one.

Comment

Anyone ever been to Newquay?

Will have young kids with me. Worth it?

Comment

Continuing my recent obsession with maps, I just received this today - 44*37inches. Glad I went for that size, it's incredible. Looking forward to getting it framed and up on my wall, really is a piece of art and history all in one.
                                                                    We got this map (world map in three panels, size L with black background) a few years ago; it's so nice on the wall, despite me fucking up the hanging slightly, and gets so many compliments from visitors. I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post

Haven't been to Jus De Vin in a while, will need to take a spin out soon. The owner and his daughter are absolutely brilliant.

I've tried the B&B Chardonnay and wasn't taken by it, something just wasn't quote right with it. I did a bit of research on it after I drank it and although I know we are ripped off here for booze, it was scary to see it at £10.99 a bottle in the UK where as it is €23-25 here.

My local wine shop is Redmond's in Ranelagh. Great spot but I've noticed that they are always 2 - 3 quid more expensive than any other wine shop. Location tax I suppose. Corkscrew in town is still probably my favourite.

Wine prices seem to be on the rise quite a bit though over the last couple of years. My favourite white 'La Doucette Pouilly Fume' is hitting 40 quid where it used to 30-32.

Think we need an IPB road trip to UK/France for a massive stock up!
                                                                      ​

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                        Think we need an IPB road trip to UK/France for a massive stock up!
                                                                        ​
                                                                        I'm thinking of doing one of these in November already. If the trip costs 6/700, what is the breakeven quantity of wine?

Comment

Dwyer was definitely guilty, but there's questions about whether the evidence was inadmissible. Fruit of the poisonous tree etc.

I think Duolingo is really just a game. I think you really need to practice with people, or at least talk to an AI.

It's grand for teaching you how to read a menu or understand people somewhat, but it renders you dumb.
                                                                          Duolingo is a great tool for getting some vocabulary and reps of verb conjugations/tenses etc. As you say it gamifies the process with the rankings, points, gems etc. Herself has the top version from work so I must piggy back that again as I've not used it much in the last 2 years tbf. It doesn't give you enough cultural awareness, context or slang/curses/jokes. You have to talk to people and learn from those interactions. Consuming media massively helps tbf but it all comes back to immersion. Tapping on the screen only get's you so far.

I've been lucky enough to do a Portuguese private zoom lesson once a week for the last 3 years. However, I'm at plateau central right now. Normal basic conversation stuff is fine but I'm not sharp enough to go into nuanced or difficult topics. On top of making loads of typical repeat mistakes (misgendering nouns, wrong verb conjugations). Brazilians are sound though and love that anyone learns their language. Even fluent English speakers will try to encourage you along. As opposed to some other countries/languages who stare at you like an alien or revert back to English instantly.

If I really want to become fully fluent I probably need to move to Brazil for at least a few months. Portugal would be possible but it's a different challenge with dialect differences and Brazil is obviously the choice for family/friendship reasons. The alternative is a substantial amount of mental/time commitment to work on it daily. Wish I was back in my mid 20s, I'd be on the next plane out the gap!

I wonder how the Polyglots do it. Perhaps they absorb better and are "wired" really well to pick up sound and repeat. Similar to the music heads who can hear the key/notes perfectly. Don't get me wrong they put in the work but there are plenty of genetically gifted athletes so it's not far to go the same with languages.

Comment

Not all "X" no. stars are equal as you allude to and countries vary massively. I did IT support for a client who was a local 4* hotel a good while back. The owner/manager was doing training for a couple of new staff when I was on-site one day. He went at length to explain why they had to have certain things available to clients as well how to address people properly, uniform presentation etc. "Otherwise, we're an effin BnB lads it's that simple". Fairly sure a large part of it was to do with star ratings and they'd always have 2x porters on the night shift at weekends. Funnily enough, I did 2x weeks as the only night porter in a 3* Galway hote before I got into IT. That place was always stuffed to the gills. Fri/Sat were torture with Hens, Stags, Teams and lads down for the batter.

I've found a 4* hotel in Czech could be like a 3* at home. One in Brno had a prison like bed situation and was massively overpriced (loads of business from companies nearby so I didn't understand the low quality). Compared to a "3.5" start in Prague that was a somewhat better bed but quite short on everything else.

The very few 5* places I've been in were noticeably jammed full of friendly multi-lingual staff. It was almost 1:2 client to staff ratio at times. Anything you wanted they were happy to help or have a recommendation. They never wanted a dissatisfied client. There's a reason why you're paying 2x for cocktails and top-shelf and the kitchen is open all night. Genuinely one of the better meals I've had anywhere was room service at 10pm.

Comment

I'm thinking of doing one of these in November already. If the trip costs 6/700, what is the breakeven quantity of wine?
                                                                              The wine I mentioned earlier, La Doucette Pouilly Fume, is €39.95 in Redmond's & O'Briens - I can see it in a Paris wine shop for €27.90 so best case scenario you could be saving 12 quid a bottle. At a trip cost of 700, that's 58 bottles or 5 cases of 12 to get to breakeven.

I'm sure the savings would vary from wine to wine but I reckon that's a good barometer.

Comment

Lao Lao this is the best wine shop I ever came across in France (and Pecharmant wine is very, very good - never found it here though )

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

The wine I mentioned earlier, La Doucette Pouilly Fume, is €39.95 in Redmond's & O'Briens - I can see it in a Paris wine shop for €27.90 so best case scenario you could be saving 12 quid a bottle. At a trip cost of 700, that's 58 bottles or 5 cases of 12 to get to breakeven.

I'm sure the savings would vary from wine to wine but I reckon that's a good barometer.
                                                                                  That's actually not as much as I would have guessed.

I think you get better value for money lower down the price range (percentage wise). i.e. an €8-10 bottle in France is probably a €20-25 one here.

Comment

You have to love a place where you can buy a bottle of this for over a grand or get them to fill up a jerrycan with unnamed local hooch for about €2 a litre!

Comment

That's actually not as much as I would have guessed.

I think you get better value for money lower down the price range (percentage wise). i.e. an €8-10 bottle in France is probably a €20-25 one here.
                                                                                      Yes, you'd get a good stock of Tuesday wine for €8 - €10 over in France.

Although looking at your place on line, they have good value on the higher priced wines too.
                                                                                      Wine France Dublin
                                                                                      Frank Phelan 28.5 45
                                                                                      Baron De Brane 33 50
                                                                                      Fugue De Nenin 35 46
                                                                                      Chateau Sociando Mallet 35.5 55
                                                                                      Chateau les Ormes de Pez 38 58
                                                                                      Chasse-Spleen 41 50
                                                                                      Grand Puy Ducasse 45 100
                                                                                      Chateau La Lagune 48 92
                                                                                      Phelan Segur 55 75
                                                                                      Chateau Gloria 57 72
                                                                                      Michel Redde – Petit F 18.4 26.9
                                                                                      ​
                                                                                      Attached Files

Comment

sickening
                                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

sickening
                                                                                          But how could you expect that dropping bombs on areas with loads of kids would lead to those kids dying. I see they've now taken to trying to attack Ireland economically for having the anti-semitic temerity to suggest that bombing innocents is wrong.

Comment

The number of stars a hotel has correlates exactly with the number of nights its possible to stay without needing to murder some or all hotel staff.
                                                                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

You have to love a place where you can buy a bottle of this for over a grand or get them to fill up a jerrycan with unnamed local hooch for about €2 a litre!
                                                                                              Will you be taking orders

Comment

Have people moved on from Chrome?

​​​​​​Just wondering if using Chrome now is like old people being stuck to Internet Explorer ten years ago.

Comment

Will you be taking orders
                                                                                                  Depends what I'm driving

Comment

Have people moved on from Chrome?

​​​​​​Just wondering if using Chrome now is like old people being stuck to Internet Explorer ten years ago.
                                                                                                    I never even considered it. Is this a thing?
                                                                                                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Two tampons walking down the street.

Who says hello first?

SPOILER
                                                                                                      Neither, they're both stuck up cunts.

Comment

I have a bunch of jewish friends, very close friends, golf twice a week and have beers and visit families close, and in the last week I've been getting it in the neck daily. I have to say, Simon Harris is making is easy to stand my ground. Not that I couldn't anyway but he is handling is all very well to this point imo.

Comment

I never even considered it. Is this a thing?
                                                                                                          Just wondering myself. I mean, you blink, and then you're suddenly a boomer stuck defaulted to Chrome.

Comment

Just wondering myself. I mean, you blink, and then you're suddenly a boomer stuck defaulted to Chrome.
                                                                                                            Arc browser is the one for all the cool kids

Comment

There is currently three Meme coins in the top 20 cryptos, Doge, Shiba and Pepe. They have a combined market cap of $50bn, yes 50 BILLION.

What a time to be alive

Comment

not sure if mentioned here but RTE aired a brilliant documentary on Sunday night called Birdsong. An ornithologist sets out to record the birdsong of all the birds in Ireland. He is a fascinating guy. Ross Whitaker produced who has a great track record in one off documentaries. All in all it's an incredibly wholesome watch and those with younger kids should get them to watch it also. It's on the RTE Player.

Comment

not sure if mentioned here but RTE aired a brilliant documentary on Sunday night called Birdsong. An ornithologist sets out to record the birdsong of all the birds in Ireland. He is a fascinating guy. Ross Whitaker produced who has a great track record in one off documentaries. All in all it's an incredibly wholesome watch and those with younger kids should get them to watch it also. It's on the RTE Player.

https://www.rte.ie/player/movie/birdsong/506726951986
                                                                                                                  Saw it advertised and the guy came across as an absolute devotee of his craft, I always have an interest in those types of docs, even if the subject matter isn’t for me its usually worthwhile seeing someone talk about their passions so vehemently. Will have a goo.

Comment

Anyone in vicinity of Santry have any tips on parking for Morton Stadium for a busy Event?

Comment

Park in Omni and walk up, or park in Airways Industrial Estate and walk down seem like reasonable options. Theres a little pedestrian walkway out of Airways towards the stadium which cuts it down to about a 500 m walk if you park near it in the estate.

Comment

Park in Omni and walk up, or park in Airways Industrial Estate and walk down seem like reasonable options. Theres a little pedestrian walkway out of Airways towards the stadium which cuts it down to about a 500 m walk if you park near it in the estate.
                                                                                                                        Yeah was thinking Omni, shouldnt be under time prssure so that will do - cheers

Comment

I'm actually thinking of switching to a whole iPhone infrastructure. Just fundamentally think the whole google-equals-ads thing doesn't work, while iPhone has gone all-in on security and minimal intrusion. Realise there are ways of blocking ads etc with different browsers, but the passwords systems don't seem to work well.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X