• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Looking at may mid term.
    Dublin - Stanstead - seville - Stanstead - dublin
    Is €195
    Dublin - seville - Dublin is €390
    €195 not to have two stopovers with kids in tow looks a bargain to me. Only one winner there.

Comment

Looking at may mid term.
      Is €195
      jaysus
      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Hopper is kinda cool for flights.

I also suspect that some of those travel agents might be cheaper than they used to be. As in, that you could get a package holiday at the last minute for surprisingly cheap as they just don't have the volume they used to have but still need a plane to be full when it comes to departure time.

Comment

Seville isn't called the frying pan for no reason.
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Prices are atrocious this summer and it is going to be horrendous on the continent with the heat. The Scandie countries are really cheap to travel to due to SAS being such a fucked up airline that it can't attract any customers.
            Shame theyre spectacularly dull. My brother is living in Sweden 25 years and I think Ive been there 3 times coz I cant face the grimness.

Seem to have escaped these crazy airfares with the 4 of us flying into Lisbon and back from Rome for about 700 in August.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

12 Angry Men for me. Hopefully that's what Trump gets wha'.
              It's about a 6.5/10, little uneven. I wouldn't put anyone off going but wouldn't be recommending hard either.

Osteria Lucio still very good though and Ross Lewis still very much in evidence. If going, I would say do at the time when the Bord Gais show starts and get the menu that gives you a bit of everything (60pp) imo.

Comment

I think anyone going to Southern Europe in the summer time in this era is off their rocker. It's just too hot.

Comment

I think anyone going to Southern Europe in the summer time in this era is off their rocker. It's just too hot.
                  Was happy enough in Crete last August. 30s is fine once the humidity is in check. We had a few days touching 40 with 50% humidity and they were OK so long as you had a swimming pool and nothing to do.

Comment

It's about a 6.5/10, little uneven. I wouldn't put anyone off going but wouldn't be recommending hard either.

Osteria Lucio still very good though and Ross Lewis still very much in evidence. If going, I would say do at the time when the Bord Gais show starts and get the menu that gives you a bit of everything (60pp) imo.
                    Going to that DOlier St. place tomorrow. Booked it before in got the star. Spent an ridiculous amount on dining out lately.

Comment

Great segment from Sachs on the the All in podcast this week about the 28 people who got fired from Google this week for protesting against a project Google are involved in with the Israeli government. It should start at the timestamp (22m.22s) and is only about 5 minutes long.

https://youtu.be/HKtlezdPNAI?feature=shared&t=1358

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                        Off to Tuesdays with Morrie with the Sis, looking forward to it, great reports.
                        Superb , tissues and noses blown throughout. A triumph imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post

€195 not to have two stopovers with kids in tow looks a bargain to me. Only one winner there.
                          Prob x 3 though

Comment

WPM chasing UK trainers Title should lead to some interesting race markets over the next 8 days....

Keep up to date with the latest movements in both the Flat and Jump Trainers' Championships. The race to land the Champion Trainer title.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post

Was happy enough in Crete last August. 30s is fine once the humidity is in check. We had a few days touching 40 with 50% humidity and they were OK so long as you had a swimming pool and nothing to do.
                              I have two blonde, fair-skinned people. They just can't handle it. Croatia last year was perfect on the island, about 28/29 most days but onshore was 38. The blondes were very uncomfortable and the brunettes weren't all that happy either!
                              So we made a family decision that southern Europe is now off limits for the summer season.

Comment

Seems like nonsense. Has all the hallmarks of the unusual free energy scams. Completely vague with some buzz words thrown. Except this one seems to acknowledge they are bound by conservation of energy but goes on to describe how they violate it. Add to the LK-99 pile!

Comment

Seems like nonsense. Has all the hallmarks of the unusual free energy scams. Completely vague with some buzz words thrown. Except this one seems to acknowledge they are bound by conservation of energy but goes on to describe how they violate it. Add to the LK-99 pile!
                                  That seems to be the general sentiment, the question everyone seem to be asking is why is this guy staking his whole reputation on this thing? His credentials check out and according to an article on the official Nasa website he is current lead research scientist at the Electrostatics and Surface Physics Laboratory at Kennedy.

Comment

I have two blonde, fair-skinned people. They just can't handle it. Croatia last year was perfect on the island, about 28/29 most days but onshore was 38. The blondes were very uncomfortable and the brunettes weren't all that happy either!
                                    So we made a family decision that southern Europe is now off limits for the summer season.
                                    Yeah. Was speaking to my Greek friend while he was in Athens last summer and he said it was torture, like that you literally felt you were being fried every moment you stepped outside. Why would you willingly go on holiday to an environment like that. Suspect our holiday mid-July to Lake Garda will be brutality personified.

Comment

Plus we already solved this problem according to recent Netflix documentary - 3 body problem.

Comment

Raoul Duke III Hope you have a window seat for your flight to Milan. It's a pretty spectacular flight over the Swiss Alps. Flys over Birmingham and London too with some really cool views.
                                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                          Raoul Duke III Hope you have a window seat for your flight to Milan. It's a pretty spectacular flight over the Swiss Alps. Flys over Birmingham and London too with some really cool views.
                                          Yeah, that's next weekend's outing. Looking forward to it now.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                            WPM chasing UK trainers Title should lead to some interesting race markets over the next 8 days....

Keep up to date with the latest movements in both the Flat and Jump Trainers' Championships. The race to land the Champion Trainer title.

Sharjah already on the board at Ayr, he's throwing plenty of darts at the Scottish national and he should win last 2 races...
                                            Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Feels as plain as day that AI has hit a wall and we're in for a shock over the summer when ChatGPT4.5 is released and isn't notably better than GPT4.

Don't know if that seems like a big deal or not, but there's an epic amount of hope incorporated in the stock market based on AI hype. Like it could be something like 20% of US stock pricing.

If it becomes clear that AI is useful but not yet capable of being revolutionary, there could well be a massive correction.

Comment

Seville isn't called the frying pan for no reason.
                                                That's why may instead of July.
                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

That's why may instead of July.
                                                  Went last April, it was 35 degrees.
                                                  airport, lol

Comment

Snowing in Helsinki at the moment. They are not pleased

Comment

Looks like Congress is finally going to pass the $60bn aid package for Ukraine. Also talking about seizing Russia's offshore reserves - good!

Trump will not be happy.

Comment

Includes money for Israel too which is presumably what got it passed.

Comment

Looks like Congress is finally going to pass the $60bn aid package for Ukraine. Also talking about seizing Russia's offshore reserves - good!

Trump will not be happy.
                                                          my vague understanding is that it is close to impossible to seize another countries money, so thats just included as a sop. like they've had iranian money on hold for decades - it just breaks too fundamental an international rule to not seize other countries balances that were deposited fairly. my understanding - which could be wrong! - is that the only time that money has been seized from a country is to safeguard it for that country's people in the future and protect it from being stolen by insiders.

realistically the 60bn is just going to lead to more dead ukrainians and delaying the inevitable peace talks, but as richie says - enabling the killing of more gazan kids is clearly what is pushing things forward.

Comment

too much of the US dollar strength is on the back of it being a fundamentally safe place to deposit funds for other countries.

Comment

I thought this was fake and removed the post but its not, you can see it on the blockchain, here.

Something to do with being part of history?

Comment

Going to give Shogun a go and see what all the hype is about. Everyone seems to talk about it in hushed tones of beholding a work of timeless epicness.

Comment

This twitter thread tries to explain what is going on, I wouldn't bother unless you have some interest. Its absolutely head melting stuff.

Comment

Dolier Street was very nice to begin but tailed off a bit as the menu went on. Did the startery snacky things much better than the mains. Also, they absolutely rifled the food out to the point where I was uncomfortably full and wishing they would slow down. I asked at one point for a few mins but that was all I got.

Comment

This is pretty good...

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Feels as plain as day that AI has hit a wall and we're in for a shock over the summer when ChatGPT4.5 is released and isn't notably better than GPT4.

Don't know if that seems like a big deal or not, but there's an epic amount of hope incorporated in the stock market based on AI hype. Like it could be something like 20% of US stock pricing.

If it becomes clear that AI is useful but not yet capable of being revolutionary, there could well be a massive correction.
                                                                        Told you this months ago
                                                                        just like I did with VR, self driving cars etc
                                                                        someone with contacts please send my CV on to KPMG , Goldman,Morgan McKinley et al so I can cream it for the half decade max they will still be relevant
                                                                        Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Going to give Shogun a go and see what all the hype is about. Everyone seems to talk about it in hushed tones of beholding a work of timeless epicness.
                                                                          the hype was indeed correctly hyped. wow, its mad how quickly you get into 17th century japanese court intrigue.

Comment

Hopefully people of west of Ireland take a leaf out of Tenerife’s book and start rising up against the dub holiday home pests- need to be massively taxed
                                                                            Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Trump will not be happy.
                                                                              Wedged in a TikTok Divestment/Ban which means I'm going to hold off on booking any trips this summer beyond what I have already. Good craic ahead

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                                                Hopefully people of west of Ireland take a leaf out of Tenerife’s book and start rising up against the dub holiday home pests- need to be massively taxed
                                                                                The ghoststowns will increase tenfold . The Athlantic way = come spend . Mysteryguest doesnt quite understand . Culchies are of course welcome in Dublin to keep Coppers in Business.

Comment

Dolier Street was very nice to begin but tailed off a bit as the menu went on. Did the startery snacky things much better than the mains. Also, they absolutely rifled the food out to the point where I was uncomfortably full and wishing they would slow down. I asked at one point for a few mins but that was all I got.
                                                                                  No worse feeling than having the food chucked at you. Kickys had that going on too. Hate that feeling of someone metaphorically standing over you with a stopwatch!

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post

Wedged in a TikTok Divestment/Ban which means I'm going to hold off on booking any trips this summer beyond what I have already. Good craic ahead
                                                                                    Struggling to understand the context between my post and yours, unless you were hoping to book a spa break in Mariupol.

Comment

the hype was indeed correctly hyped. wow, its mad how quickly you get into 17th century japanese court intrigue.
                                                                                      It's great, there's a book that covers the 100 years up to that point which is brilliant too -https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sengoku-Jidai-Nobunaga-Hideyoshi-Ieyasu/dp/1983450200

The history of Japan at that time makes early 20th-century Europe seem quite well mannered.

Comment

Struggling to understand the context between my post and yours, unless you were hoping to book a spa break in Mariupol.
                                                                                        Presumably Ed is taking the commie dollar as income and this ban introduces an element of existential doubt as to holiday financing.

Comment

Nice time this morning that ye might want to add to your activities list if it sounds good - playing Pitch and Putt with the kids in Deer Park in Howth. Its a beautiful course on a lovely day. Pitch and Putt also seems to be just about achievable as an activity for kids around 8 / 12 and upwards.

Comment

realistically the 60bn is just going to lead to more dead ukrainians and delaying the inevitable peace talks.
                                                                                            Hmmm. I do have to wonder where you're getting your hot takes these days.

Oh, here it is.

Comment

Presumably Ed is taking the commie dollar as income and this ban introduces an element of existential doubt as to holiday financing.
                                                                                              This. I'm half job hunting at the moment anyway but the bill significantly ups the chances of redundancy so the trip to Vegas I'm eyeing up seems ill judged

Comment

Nice time this morning that ye might want to add to your activities list if it sounds good - playing Pitch and Putt with the kids in Deer Park in Howth. Its a beautiful course on a lovely day. Pitch and Putt also seems to be just about achievable as an activity for kids around 8 / 12 and upwards.
                                                                                                Love to hear it #growthegame
                                                                                                This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Hmmm. I do have to wonder where you're getting your hot takes these days.

Oh, here it is.

There's no possible benefit to $60bn more. It will literally just lead to more dead Ukrainian men by prolonging the start of peace talks. Its also miniscule compared to Russian resources and capabilities. And the biggest part of the new 'funding' is to repay the US military for weapons it has already advanced to Ukraine. Only $17bn is new direct military equipment aid. vs Russia spending about $100bn a year, and able to call on whatever else it wants, on military spending.

Comment

Anyway on to more important matters of learning how Lord Yoshii Toranaga can meld matters in his favour in Shogun.

Comment

There's no possible benefit to $60bn more. It will literally just lead to more dead Ukrainian men by prolonging the start of peace talks. Its also miniscule compared to Russian resources and capabilities. And the biggest part of the new 'funding' is to repay the US military for weapons it has already advanced to Ukraine. Only $17bn is new direct military equipment aid. vs Russia spending about $100bn a year, and able to call on whatever else it wants, on military spending.

So you think Ukraine should surrender?
                                                                                                      Last edited by Strewelpeter; 21-04-24, 22:06.
                                                                                                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Some weekend up in Donegal, perfect weather, decent buzz around but far from overcrowded. Perfect.
                                                                                                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Season 2 episode 1 of The Jinx is airing now.
                                                                                                          ​​​​Just the nine years since season 1.
                                                                                                          ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Yep, the playbook is strong with this one. I guess the difference is Hitch is isn't being paid for it.

Comment

Is a drivers licence still acceptable on flights with Aer Lingus to and from UK does anyone know?

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

So you think Ukraine should surrender?
                                                                                                                Its plain as day that there's eventually going to be an uneasy settlement revolving around Donbass and the other place being controlled by the Russians. New weapons don't change that, they just extend the amount of people killed before that agreement is reached. The Ukrainians had five times the weapons this time last year and moved a grand total of a few yards. If the new $17bn extends fighting by another 6 months then thats probably another 15-25,000 dead Ukrainian men with the highest likelihood of zero benefit from those deaths.

Comment

Would anyone know a tax accountant they would recommend?

- need to sell the sideplot and want to be sure to minimise the tax bill as there's a whole lot of vagueness on what is the acceptable implied purchase value of the sideplot, which then determines the taxable gain.

I was arguing with the estate agent that given the neighbours had already got planning for their equivalent plot by the time we bought, then our purchase price heavily implied that planning would be awarded. So the fact that planning was eventually awarded shouldn't have massively created extra taxable value. He was shrugging saying he doesn't know, but thinks we might have 100k of taxable gain, which seems like madness.

Comment

Its plain as day that there's eventually going to be an uneasy settlement revolving around Donbass and the other place being controlled by the Russians. New weapons don't change that, they just extend the amount of people killed before that agreement is reached. The Ukrainians had five times the weapons this time last year and moved a grand total of a few yards. If the new $17bn extends fighting by another 6 months then thats probably another 15-25,000 dead Ukrainian men with the highest likelihood of zero benefit from those deaths.
                                                                                                                    So, in this 'plain as day' hypothesis, Ukraine surrenders much of Eastern Ukraine to Russia and everyone lives happily ever after?

Peace in our time, as someone may have said a long time ago.

Comment

Looking at may mid term.
                                                                                                                      Is €195
                                                                                                                      How about a compromise of Dublin - Stanstead - Seville on way out, but the direct flight back?
                                                                                                                      Always think the 'stopover' is much less hassle at the start when you are in relaxed holiday mode, but coming back you just want to get home asap.

Comment

So, in this 'plain as day' hypothesis, Ukraine surrenders much of Eastern Ukraine to Russia and everyone lives happily ever after?

Peace in our time, as someone may have said a long time ago.
                                                                                                                        There's no possible way to remove Russia from the two provinces, so that will be the solution. Its mad you think the better solution is to first let 25,000 more Ukrainian men die before deciding on the exact same solution, even though its a carbon copy of your delusion from last year.

You will be fascinated to hear that its not the first time the world has had to handle such situations - the usual solution is to integrate international peacekeepers to enforce the settlement.

I suspect the problem is that you are viewing this in terms of history books and grand story arcs. Due to the nature of university life, with quite a large Ukrainian population, I personally know quite a few mothers and wives whose young sons and long-married husbands are directly affected by this and could quite possibly be the poor sops slaughtered on those frontlines for literally no purpose. But you continue with your Chamberlain quotes and saying the exact same wrong thing as last year (I believe the Ukrainians were meant to be in Crimea by August as a result of all the weaponry last year?).

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X