Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tell them to quit their moaning, Ill be coming from Sligo and I'll be working at 5am stephens day I'm pretty sure.

On a side not, 4 day weekends, class without even having to think about it
    airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
      As a Dub-based person, I'd be volunteering so country-folk don't have to come up for the day tbh. Seems like a nice thing to do. Like, show a bit of Christmas spirit...
      That's probably because our job is ridic easy and enjoyable though!

Comment

Originally posted by Foxy View Post
        Never would have put Rated R down as possibly being people's favourite qotsa album but I guess that's the beauty of it.
        Actually, after listening to it again for the first time in ages I take back what I said

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
            On a side not, 4 day weekends, class without even having to think about it
            FU. I've work today, college this evening and all day tomorrow, work on Monday then college again Monday evening

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                I'd have been thinking more along the lines of

SPOILER
                This, tangled up in plaid, burn the witch and all the kind of medieval stuff...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT60tUIdLfQ

vs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wTxqHbJOzg

But I suppose every album has it's odd moments now that I think about it !

Comment

Definitely don't touch Kick Ass 2, its beyond painful
                  meh, I liked it.
                  I liked the books and the 1st movie.
                  The ending was changed drastically though in both.
                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Definitely don't touch Kick Ass 2, its beyond painful
                    thats not true it was a good watch imo
                    airport, lol

Comment

Comment

Where the fook is cardshark these days?
                        This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by tipp86 View Post
                          Thanks. I had seen on here you were on holidays so I left you alone for that proofreading. Il drop you a pm for the next batch. Thanks again.
                          Yeah cool, no problem, I would have done it anyway, I'm just sitting on my ass in the rain.

anybody know a cheap good museum? that isnt one of the main ones, rijk,van,rembrant etc

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
                          people are focusing too much on the monetary value of work and not considering other factors like how nice it would be to enjoy christmas day and stevens day festivities without having to worry about going to work.

definitely affects country people more due to travel but if you are working on the 27th no matter where you live its going to limit the st stephens day session and enjoyment which is a big factor imo
                          You're a doctor dude, what is the story with hours tehre, you can possible work 36 hour shifts, then how many hours do ye work a week? Do you get much time off at all? Whats the payscale like, and as people become more senior I assume they work less

sounds like i should start with kick-ass 2

Comment

Originally posted by Icarus152 View Post
                            They benefit through taxation of the revenue generated both on the billboard and the sales of the product being advertised Shirley?
                            Well ya, but to what degree I don't know. Like obv central Government collect taxes from the sales of products, but I'd be very surprised if much of it was sent back to Local Government. It would be like saying we need advertising as it pays for the dole or childrens allowance.

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                            I'd be fairly surprised if councils just give the planning permission and have no income from the advertising, there must shirley be a decent on-going yearly license fee paid by the spaceowner allowing them to continue to sell the space to the advertisers?
                            If not councils are missing a trick.
                            Sorry, bit misleading on my part. If the land is privately owned, they would apply for planning permission, pay for their application (paltry amount) and thats that.
                            If LA owned the land then they would charge an annual fee (nominal small amount) for renting the land. This rarely happens though as most of the land would be earmarked for something (development, parks, etc).

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                              You either look on it as "we have equal obligation to present ourselves for work", or "presenting myself for work in this particular set of circumstances constitutes a very different set of sacrifices to me than what it does to you" as the basis from which your point of view grows.

Both are true, it's just a case of whether you give a shit about other people or not. By the letter of the law the guy who has to travel 200 miles to get to work has the same obligation as the guy who has to travel five, but trying to play it off like it's asking the same of both of them or that that is the only consideration that we should take into account is asinine.

The fact that the question was put solely in terms of the 27th by Steve suggests he's thinking mostly about missing out on going on the piss on the 26th, which is fine, but trying to come back and argue it from a philosophical POV that it's equally fair to impose it on both types of people is disingenuous.

You want your night on the sauce, you don't really give a shit if it takes a disproportionate amount of someone's xmas away and you're willing to use the letter of the law to get your way regardless of how disconnected it is from the reality of the particular situation, not to mention the spirit of the season.

That's absolutely fine and I'd possibly be the same if it was me, if you don't give a shit you don't give a shit.

Im actually sorted so its not really about me. In all honesty Id work the day if someone from.the country really wanted to be at home as its not that much effort.

BUT: The argument your putting forward is essentially saying country peoples time with their family is worth more than city peoples in this situation.

Thats ridiculous. I asked the question becuase there is a girl here that is from Irishtown and she wanted the day off but pressure was put on her to work it because she lives so close. The excuses and plea's I mentioned previously. Thats grossly unfair.

Why is a country persons time at home worth more than hers? The argument that country people dont see as much of their family is flimsy.

The country is tiny. 5hours driving gets you anywhere. If you dont see your family enough during the year its nothing to do with work and its a choice you make. There are ample opportunities to see them. If they lived in Canada or Australia this might fly but 5 hrs max down the road doesnt.

Trying to paint it as if the person from the city that also wants to go home has no common sense, empathy or doesnt give shit is also ridiculous.

People like spending time with their families at christmas, where your family lives is your issue and just because they live outside a small part of our small country doesnt mean that those who have family living close to the workplace should be punished or pressured because of it.
                              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Fucking culchies, coming up here taking our jobs and our women

Comment

Lads ye are looking at it all wrong.

27th December should be 'Bring your family to work day'.

Sorted.
                                  ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

After 3 days at home I'd often be looking for an excuse to come back to Dublin over Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                      Im actually sorted so its not really about me. In all honesty Id work the day if someone from.the country really wanted to be at home as its not that much effort.

BUT: The argument your putting forward is essentially saying country peoples time with their family is worth more than city peoples in this situation.

Thats ridiculous. I asked the question becuase there is a girl here that is from Irishtown and she wanted the day off but pressure was put on her to work it because she lives so close. The excuses and plea's I mentioned previously. Thats grossly unfair.

Why is a country persons time at home worth more than hers? The argument that country people dont see as much of their family is flimsy.

The country is tiny. 5hours driving gets you anywhere. If you dont see your family enough during the year its nothing to do with work and its a choice you make. There are ample opportunities to see them. If they lived in Canada or Australia this might fly but 5 hrs max down the road doesnt.
                                      If you want to argue that the two peoples' time is the same in this context you can't really use it for your argument since you're talking about an awful lot more of my time than of yours.

To put it another way, your friend is upset at the prospect of giving up the eight hours. The other person should be more, less or equally upset at giving up the eight hours plus all the rest?

Five hours down the road - and back of course - and 80 quid or more for petrol. How often do you think people can physically and financially do that, even assuming zero additional commitments in Dublin? If I was making a choice I'd live next door to my father and call into see him every day.

Trying to paint it as if the person from the city that also wants to go home has no common sense, empathy or doesnt give shit is also ridiculous.

People like spending time with their families at christmas, where your family lives is your issue and just because they live outside a small part of our small country doesnt mean that those who have family living close to the workplace should be punished or pressured because of it.
                                      The various bits highlighted in bold are pretty free of empathy if you needed it pointed out how your argument lacks it.

It's obviously shit that someone has to work that day, but I think it's pretty clearly a lot shitter for some than others. More of their time, more of their money, more arduous journey to and from, shit situation having to be alone in the house for the time they're up.

As I said before, that doesn't mean I'd feel obliged to take one for the team in that situation, who knows, but trying to argue that people from far away don't have a reason to feel like it's harder on them to have to do it is mad.

Comment

Piece of shit atm in WIT swallowed my Debit Card.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                          Can we get a Q & A on the art of bee keeping?
                                          Hmmm...

It's not like I've got much else to talk about these days and I have just got away with some BBV pimpage...

The risk is that people would find my middle of the road rationality boring but then the more boring it is, the sooner I get off the hook.

Fire away if you want...

Comment

Comment

Thought there was still an embargo on permanent contracts in the ps?

Comment

Originally posted by TheJiggaman View Post
                                                Piece of shit atm in WIT swallowed my Debit Card.
                                                Does that atm dispense wit money?
                                                Like, the college currency stuff?
                                                ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 11-10-13, 13:37.

Comment

I got stung by a bee yesterday.

SPOILER
                                                      €50 for a jar of honey.

Comment

Originally posted by brianmc View Post
                                                        Hmmm...

It's not like I've got much else to talk about these days and I have just got away with some BBV pimpage...

The risk is that people would find my middle of the road rationality boring but then the more boring it is, the sooner I get off the hook.

Fire away if you want...
                                                        Thanks

Where do you get the bees?
                                                        Is colony collapse disorder having any impact on you?
                                                        Much work/maintenance?
                                                        How do you process the honey?

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                          Yeah cool, no problem, I would have done it anyway, I'm just sitting on my ass in the rain.

anybody know a cheap good museum? that isnt one of the main ones, rijk,van,rembrant etc

You're a doctor dude, what is the story with hours tehre, you can possible work 36 hour shifts, then how many hours do ye work a week? Do you get much time off at all? Whats the payscale like, and as people become more senior I assume they work less

sounds like i should start with kick-ass 2
                                                          I'm still a student dude for another 16 months. We get attached to teams for the last 2 years of the degree so been working alongside them. Depends on the team tbh - surgery is way tougher in terms of hours and you will get boned with a Friday morning to Monday night shift at least once a month. Standard day is about 12 hours with at least one on call spin per week so it averages out at about 65-70 hours. I haven't been in it long enough to affect me yet but can already see friends falling away because I never seen them etc.

Pay scale was good a few years ago with all hospitals paying overtime and attractive consultant contracts. Since they changed consultant contracts and stopped paying overtime there isn't really a light at the end of the tunnel any more

Comment

nah, Haddington Road ended that for five-year contracts. They can roll them into contracts of indefinite duration after three years. 'Contracts of indefinite duration' being the new cool sexy term for permanency (although you're probably well aware of that)
                                                            Strange...one of the guys here just ended a 5 year contract and signed another. I wonder what my situation is for next year. Went through an interview to get back for this year, hope if the money is there that I don't have to interview again

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                              If you want to argue that the two peoples' time is the same in this context you can't really use it for your argument since you're talking about an awful lot more of my time than of yours.

To put it another way, your friend is upset at the prospect of giving up the eight hours. The other person should be more, less or equally upset at giving up the eight hours plus all the rest?

Five hours down the road - and back of course - and 80 quid or more for petrol. How often do you think people can physically and financially do that, even assuming zero additional commitments in Dublin? If I was making a choice I'd live next door to my father and call into see him every day.

The various bits highlighted in bold are pretty free of empathy if you needed it pointed out how your argument lacks it.

It's obviously shit that someone has to work that day, but I think it's pretty clearly a lot shitter for some than others. More of their time, more of their money, more arduous journey to and from, shit situation having to be alone in the house for the time they're up.

As I said before, that doesn't mean I'd feel obliged to take one for the team in that situation, who knows, but trying to argue that people from far away don't have a reason to feel like it's harder on them to have to do it is mad.
                                                              Your point about my Canada/Australia example is valid but I wasnt saying thats what I thought. I was saying that it would be a lot easier to understand the position if their family was so far away. I still think that if this was the case they would need to be as empathetic and considerste during the rest of the year as they expect others to be around christmas. Thats pretty tangential though.

Which begs the question, if you want to go down the route of people living further away getting extra consideration, where do you draw the line? After how many hours travel does it become a hardship.

The 5 hours to and back travelling time argument is just an extension of the last one that says your time is worth more than mine.

I completely agree thats its shittier for some more than others. Thats not what Im arguing. I obviously think everyone should be home at xmas with their families and my last post using 'you' was plural, as is this, not directed at you personally dude.

I think that empathy and consideration goes both ways. The stance of 'well I live miles away Ill have to come back up' doesnt sit well with me. I dont know why you should get to spend more time with your family at a special time of year than me. Or even why Id have to sacrific the one time a year a get to see all my friends who are back from abroad and go on the tear like old times.

That said , the team has agreed that names in a hat is the only fair way and tbh if the girl from Irishtown gets picked to work, Ill offer to do it because the way she reacted Ive a feeling there is more to the story but as long as I can come in late and leave after Ive everything is finished and no shes not hot, your argument partly covinced this black heart.

Hope to she doesnt spike though. If its one of the Kerry folk. Well fuck em.

Comment

Comment

Comment

OK Keane's reply to this is pretty much where I'd be coming from just to add any manger worth his/her salt know's this to be an issue every year and easily should be able to manage it while giving everyone something in order to keep service and manning levels up

In one of the last places i worked they had a blanket ban on holidays in the month of December and whatever shift you were working stayed in place 100% no exceptions, surely there is some middle ground!

Comment

Where the fook is cardshark these days?
                                                                      Hello

Comment

Hope to she doesnt spike though. If its one of the Kerry folk. Well fuck em.
                                                                        keep us updated

Comment

My team here are trying to sort out Xmas holidays for this year and as usual, in most workplaces, everyone wants the 27th off.

The excuse "Ill have to come back up from *insert county outside dublin where they live*" is being bandied about and used as a sympthy plea.

Does anyone else find this utterly ridiculous?
                                                                          I've been here twelve years. It's the same every year. The glory of outsourcing is i can get them to work whenever need, so i can be flexible with my own staff onsite. I told my guys last year that they either work Christmas Eve or NYE. That worked very well, and will be used again this year.

Comment

Originally posted by TomD View Post
                                                                            I've been here twelve years. It's the same every year. The glory of outsourcing is i can get them to work whenever need, so i can be flexible with my own staff onsite. I told my guys last year that they either work Christmas Eve or NYE. That worked very well, and will be used again this year.
                                                                            Much rather work nye than Xmas eve
                                                                            airport, lol

Comment

NYE is shit. I've no idea why anyone subjects themselves to going out that night. Drinks at home or a friends place is grand though, obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                NYE is shit. I've no idea why anyone subjects themselves to going out that night. Drinks at home or a friends place is grand though, obviously.
                                                                                The only new years eve i ever went out for was 2000 and it was crap over-packed into whatever hole we could get into i think it was Harper's (Whites Hotel) at the time

I would rather work Christmas day than go out on New Years Eve to a nightclub/Pub

Comment

"Remember that New Years Eve party at Lenny's? He didn't even have a clock".
                                                                                  Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                                                                    "Remember that New Years Eve party at Lenny's? He didn't even have a clock".
                                                                                    Haha

Comment

Nice squad for the 5pm Belgium match

Line-up Belgium: Courtois, Alderweireld, Van Buyten, Lombaerts, Vertonghen, Witsel, Defour, Fellaini, De Bruyne, Hazard & Lukaku
                                                                                      Luk anytime 11/5 although he has a shite international scoring record and they are playing Croatia.
                                                                                      Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                        That was a superb episode in an excellent series.
                                                                                        Boardwalk Empire is the best show on TV since The Wire. This series is another step up.

Comment

5star talking some great sense today, I'm worried.

Originally posted by The C Kid View Post
                                                                                          Boardwalk Empire is the best show on TV since The Wire. This series is another step up.
                                                                                          Will you go pick the last 2 films in the draft so can wrap up the spreadsheet ya bollox

Comment

Footie tomorrow in Trinners.

Some of my six a side team are having a kick about tomorrow at the Trinity Pitches in the early afternoon, exact time to be confirmed but dead arms will begin from 1pm for anyone who fancies a kick about.

It's also a sort of testimonial for Mdoug who has been warned my medical experts that he should no longer play any sort of sport (or move too briskly at all really) since they figured out that he is made out of a compound commonly known as 'glass'.

All welcome.

P.S: How did the Gateshead meetup go? I wanted to make it but was too hungover to move.
                                                                                            P.P.S: You would get to meet Bernardo Fietel.
                                                                                            X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                            Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Haircut beer. Classier than a shower beer
                                                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                                Ordered a shed from this crowd on the 3rd of Sept. Heard nothing from them despite emailing and ringing so filed a PayPal claim and got my money back at the end of last month.
                                                                                                Just got a message when I was eating dinner from the guy saying he's planning to come on Friday...just the 5 weeks after ordering, despite guaranteeing 2 week delivery, having not even noticed that I retracted the payment....How do people run businesses that badly?!
                                                                                                So I get home from work today to find all of the parts for a garden shed stacked in my driveway, despite me ignoring all communications from them. Jesus Christ!

Comment

Helped the Bro get a new phone, Huawei ascend p6.

It's not bad!
                                                                                                  Very thin, metal, very light.

Course, the first thing he asks me is:
                                                                                                  Do they still sell the 3310?

Edit: also, not pink irl!
                                                                                                  Last edited by Micknail; 11-10-13, 16:03.
                                                                                                  ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

So I get home from work today to find all of the parts for a garden shed stacked in my driveway, despite me ignoring all communications from them. Jesus Christ!
                                                                                                    So anyone want a free garden shed?

Comment

Originally posted by The-Rigger View Post
                                                                                                      P.S: How did the Gateshead meetup go? I wanted to make it but was too hungover to move.
                                                                                                      Got drunk with Dice75, Zod popped in for a few too. Pints in Doyles, cocktails in Mint, few blank hours, poker in Sporting. Date set for visit to Gateshead and looks cheap.

9/10

Comment

So anyone want a free garden shed?
                                                                                                        Set it up in a shopping centre.

Dress DP up as Santa. Lottie, zod, micknail and yourself can be elves.

Comment

Whoever said you catch more flies with honey then vinegar was a lying bastard. I went to put some vinegar on some battered cod(sorry it's not malt) and find roughly 20 flies (tint wasp looking things) floating in my vinegar bottle.

Huge picture warning/ I am aware now they are in a bowl.

SPOILER
                                                                                                          Last edited by MegaSin; 11-10-13, 16:36.

Comment

In Doyle (2013), Wood appropriates a TV image in which blocky graphics representing a high-stakes pot and multiple hole cards are superimposed around a grizzled poker player. This plane of raw information contrasts with the incisive portrait; the choppy pink and gray flesh of the man's hand is reminiscent of Philip Guston's breakthrough cartoon paintings. But that master from the last century was constantly searching, scraping, and adjusting, brushing wet paint into smeary grounds until his characters seemed to coalesce out of the pigment like golems from the muck. Wood instead draws from his thorough preliminary studies for physical heft and narrative thrust. Up close, the patchwork colors in Doyle give rise to consummate abstract interplays of smooth and rough texture; a few steps back, they fuse into a world-weary mug surveying stacks of yellow poker chips and wads of greenbacks.

Deceptively charming, Wood's sophisticated canvases straddle the diverging realities of our age—the space we physically inhabit and the multiple representations with which we both memorialize and replace it.
                                                                                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by RasTa View Post
                                                                                                              Nice squad for the 5pm Belgium match

Luk anytime 11/5 although he has a shite international scoring record and they are playing Croatia.
                                                                                                              Nice finish
                                                                                                              Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

In Doyle (2013), Wood appropriates a TV image in which blocky graphics representing a high-stakes pot and multiple hole cards are superimposed around a grizzled poker player. This plane of raw information contrasts with the incisive portrait; the choppy pink and gray flesh of the man's hand is reminiscent of Philip Guston's breakthrough cartoon paintings. But that master from the last century was constantly searching, scraping, and adjusting, brushing wet paint into smeary grounds until his characters seemed to coalesce out of the pigment like golems from the muck. Wood instead draws from his thorough preliminary studies for physical heft and narrative thrust. Up close, the patchwork colors in Doyle give rise to consummate abstract interplays of smooth and rough texture; a few steps back, they fuse into a world-weary mug surveying stacks of yellow poker chips and wads of greenbacks.

Deceptively charming, Wood's sophisticated canvases straddle the diverging realities of our age—the space we physically inhabit and the multiple representations with which we both memorialize and replace it.
                                                                                                                What a load of wank.
                                                                                                                Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Could someone please throw a like this way gymgear.ie stuck on 666!.

Comment

Originally posted by a-k-47 View Post
                                                                                                                    Could someone please throw a like this way gymgear.ie stuck on 666!.
                                                                                                                    And anger Satan further. Plague of flies is enough thank you very much.

Comment

Thank you kind sir to the man in white!.

Comment

616 is the devil

He's not real btw

Comment

Fuck me, people have no idea how to use ATMs. Ten minutes waiting for five people, gave up on the second one. Hope this place takes laser cards
                                                                                                                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X