This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
    The real pity is that a girl (of that age) somehow feels that her behavior is warranted/accepted/normal/necessary.
    Why would you assume anyone(the girl included) thinks this behaviour is any of those things? How is that the real pity? The real pity is the amount of people trying to shame the girl for something that had nothing to do with them. Person get's drunk probably off their face on drugs, does something they probably regret. Leave it and move on imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Icarus152 View Post
      Living of the hotel vouchers we got as wedding presents this year. Don't think I'd go on another cruise for a while tbh, yourself?
      Im not sure, while it was a relaxing holiday, there was just too many people, maybe a smaller ship.
      This too shall pass.

Comment

Last call for a fourth golfer for Thursday morning at Elm Green with myself Kayroo and Dice.

Comment

Senators were a little confused over a vote in the Seanad today. Here's how it went.

Comment

Release the Kracken. Science, Bitch!

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
              hmm there's still WWE betting available from some bookies?

http://deadspin.com/a-redditor-has-b...we-r-787445495
              WOW, some unreal value missed!! Could have made a fortune backing these, too late now really fml
              Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Bargain Alert

Telebingo, Tuesday night, Telebingo Tuesday night!

Win €750+ for €2.50 spent this Tuesday with the Telebingo Syndicate brought to you by Mdoug and The-Rigger.

Enter now, entries close at 9.30pm.
                X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Just in case anyone thinks it might be a good idea, obviously posting or linking to those photos here is not allowed.

Comment

Does anyone here know a guy called Simon Wall? He is a musician

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                      Yeah I'm heading in on my tod if you want to get a pint or something? I can't remember if I have a seat or what tbh.

Actually from what I remember of the Olympia for the Passion Pit gig it might be all seated?
                      I think there's standing on the bottom level; chances are I probably wont go but if I do definitely.

Comment

One for Kayroo - can slanegirl be arrested for giving a BJ in public or could it only be the guy as he was the only one to expose himself?

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                          Does anyone here know a guy called Simon Wall? He is a musician
                          The name sounds familiar but I can't quite place him. Tall thin guy with thin or no hair? I assume he used to play poker? I have someone in my head but it might be the totally wrong person.

Comment

Fantasy Football

I'm also in a number of other money leagues and in one of them, we're a bit shorter on players than we were last year. Net result is that we have left entries open until the 2nd gameweek starts.

If you're interested in joining it's a €50 buyin, as things stand prizemoney is broken out as per below. Any additional monies will go towards the overall prize pool at the end of the year.

Total €950(19 players)

Aug/Sept - €50
                            October - €50
                            November - €50
                            December - €50
                            January - €50
                            February - €50
                            March - €50
                            April/May - €50

Overall Winner - €350
                            2nd - €100
                            3rd - €100

If anyone is interested in joining this league drop me a PM and we can sort the details.
                            Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

what's the story with getting money back on ebay - never use it so no idea what to press

bought something 3 days ago and got this message today - I don't have the option to cancel the order and my money has gone through etc etc

Dear Michael
                              Have a nice day
                              Thank you for your kind purchase
                              we are really sorry, we did not see your location before
                              Just see the delivery address
                              we gave the price for within UK
                              the cost for sending to Ireland will be high
                              we apologize for the inconvenience
                              please let us know that still you need to buy or cancel the purchase
                              Thank you for your kind understanding
                              looking to see your kind reply
                              Best Regards

Stupid French Canadians, paid €6 for shipping already and they told me it will cost me another €12 if I want it. Fuck that I say! Money back plz, tell me how
                              Go big or go homeless.

Comment

I did not know that Internet radios existed as a thing. Thanks for the enlightenment.

I now have to choose one.

For those of you who have had one(s) do you think dropping wifi / losing station is endemic to Internet radios or model specific? Any idea from your greater knowledge bank of these devices which might be best to buy? It'll be a present for someone so that renders the price irrelevant (funny the way that works, would be more conscious of price if it were for myself).

Comment

Originally posted by Teddie View Post
                                  One for Kayroo - can slanegirl be arrested for giving a BJ in public or could it only be the guy as he was the only one to expose himself?
                                  Don't really wanna get into it if I'm honest.

Both of them could be done for various things but it all depends really.

I don't think she will face any sort of prosecution. Unlikely the guy will unless she's u-17 and he's not
                                  You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                  World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                    what's the story with getting money back on ebay - never use it so no idea what to press

bought something 3 days ago and got this message today - I don't have the option to cancel the order and my money has gone through etc etc

Dear Michael
                                    Have a nice day
                                    Thank you for your kind purchase
                                    we are really sorry, we did not see your location before
                                    Just see the delivery address
                                    we gave the price for within UK
                                    the cost for sending to Ireland will be high
                                    we apologize for the inconvenience
                                    please let us know that still you need to buy or cancel the purchase
                                    Thank you for your kind understanding
                                    looking to see your kind reply
                                    Best Regards

Stupid French Canadians, paid €6 for shipping already and they told me it will cost me another €12 if I want it. Fuck that I say! Money back plz, tell me how
                                    Could you not have used parcel-motel?

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

ehh? She sucked a guys dick. How is that rape unless their hands are around her neck? She just got drunk, got a bit crazy, and then it was put up on the internet. There's no crime.
                                        statutory rape.
                                        Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Fiery Wasabi View Post
                                          had to google what that even was! I reckon this is the 3/4th time I've ever bought anything online so somewhat of a noob when it comes to this, sure I can't even figure out how to cancel the order and get my money back!
                                          Go big or go homeless.

Comment

ehh? She sucked a guys dick. How is that rape unless their hands are around her neck? She just got drunk, got a bit crazy, and then it was put up on the internet. There's no crime.
                                            If she's underage it's statutory rape. If she's over 17 and was too drunk to consent it's s4 rape although you'd never get that conviction home if she independently did it twice with two different people.

Comment

Comment

if a 17 year old decides to suck a guy's dick then its not rape and using those words is horrific to actual rape victims imo. Realise that's the law, but its a terrible use of the term.
                                                In the eyes of the law she basically doesn't have the mental capacity to decide to do that; no consent = rape.
                                                Last edited by Denny Crane; 19-08-13, 15:05.

Comment

if a 17 year old decides to suck a guy's dick then its not rape and using those words is horrific to actual rape victims imo. Realise that's the law, but its a terrible use of the term.
                                                  If she was so drunk she literally had no idea what she was doing and was incapable of giving consent how is it a misuse of the term?

All this speculating is really unseemly anyway

Comment

Agreed, even worse was SPs child rape claim earlier on. Completely trivialises crimes committed by members of the church and other non church affiliated paedophiles imo.

Comment

If a 17 yo did it it wouldn't be statutory rape.

We decide to collectively protect people under 17 by deciding they are unable to consent to sexual relations.
                                                      Rape is defined as unconsentual sex.

hence the term "statutory rape".

Comment

As an aside that may seem pretty obtuse, are there any other laws regarding http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non_compos_mentis that we should know of?

As in, a legal document not enforceable if the above can be claimed.

Can I return goods that I have bought under the influence?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Fiery Wasabi View Post
                                                            had to google what that even was! I reckon this is the 3/4th time I've ever bought anything online so somewhat of a noob when it comes to this, sure I can't even figure out how to cancel the order and get my money back!
                                                            Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Comment

And if it turns out that she is 17/18 and he is 15 is she suddenly raping him?

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                                                                  statutorally.

Comment

Comment

Any reason why hotel bathrooms don't have smoke detectors? Is it just that they're unable to tell difference between steam and smoke?
                                                                      they do, but instead of an alarm they just start the webcam transmitting to smokinghotelguest.com

Comment

12 mins later

Comment

No more shopping in Dunne's Stores, full of knackers.
                                                                          Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                                                                                The twitter profile thats meant to be her says '17, Ireland'.

Lock her up and throw away the key, raping 2 lads in the one night

Comment

Seriously, we have laws regarding consent and ability to give it for a reason.

Comment

Nice of the Indo to help with identifying the girl

GARDAI have launched a major investigation after photographs of a teenage girl performing an intimate act in public at last weekend’s Eminem concert went viral online.

The girl – who is a secondary school student from the west of Ireland – has been left devastated after the images appeared on social networking sites.

The matter is now the subject of a garda investigation which is being led by officers based at Navan Garda Station.

A senior source revealed that gardai have interviewed the teenage girl and have also spoken with her distraught parents.

At this stage officers have not spoken with others featured in the photographs.

“This case is at a very early stage but what has happened here is a matter of concern for gardai,” a source said.

Comment

just 15 mins in to first episode. wtf is wilfrid about? Doesn't quite seem to make sense.
                                                                                      you are watching it in the perfect state of mind
                                                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Reading the internet today is quite sad.

Here is a nice philosophical article from the late David Wallace

SPOILER
                                                                                        There are these two young fish swimming along and they happen to meet an older fish swimming the other way, who nods at them and says "Morning, boys. How's the water?" And the two young fish swim on for a bit, and then eventually one of them looks over at the other and goes "What the hell is water?"

This is a standard requirement of US commencement speeches, the deployment of didactic little parable-ish stories. The story ["thing"] turns out to be one of the better, less bullshitty conventions of the genre, but if you're worried that I plan to present myself here as the wise, older fish explaining what water is to you younger fish, please don't be. I am not the wise old fish. The point of the fish story is merely that the most obvious, important realities are often the ones that are hardest to see and talk about. Stated as an English sentence, of course, this is just a banal platitude, but the fact is that in the day to day trenches of adult existence, banal platitudes can have a life or death importance, or so I wish to suggest to you on this dry and lovely morning.

Of course the main requirement of speeches like this is that I'm supposed to talk about your liberal arts education's meaning, to try to explain why the degree you are about to receive has actual human value instead of just a material payoff. So let's talk about the single most pervasive cliché in the commencement speech genre, which is that a liberal arts education is not so much about filling you up with knowledge as it is about "teaching you how to think". If you're like me as a student, you've never liked hearing this, and you tend to feel a bit insulted by the claim that you needed anybody to teach you how to think, since the fact that you even got admitted to a college this good seems like proof that you already know how to think. But I'm going to posit to you that the liberal arts cliché turns out not to be insulting at all, because the really significant education in thinking that we're supposed to get in a place like this isn't really about the capacity to think, but rather about the choice of what to think about. If your total freedom of choice regarding what to think about seems too obvious to waste time discussing, I'd ask you to think about fish and water, and to bracket for just a few minutes your scepticism about the value of the totally obvious.

Here's another didactic little story. There are these two guys sitting together in a bar in the remote Alaskan wilderness. One of the guys is religious, the other is an atheist, and the two are arguing about the existence of God with that special intensity that comes after about the fourth beer. And the atheist says: "Look, it's not like I don't have actual reasons for not believing in God. It's not like I haven't ever experimented with the whole God and prayer thing. Just last month I got caught away from the camp in that terrible blizzard, and I was totally lost and I couldn't see a thing, and it was 50 below, and so I tried it: I fell to my knees in the snow and cried out 'Oh, God, if there is a God, I'm lost in this blizzard, and I'm gonna die if you don't help me.'" And now, in the bar, the religious guy looks at the atheist all puzzled. "Well then you must believe now," he says, "After all, here you are, alive." The atheist just rolls his eyes. "No, man, all that was was a couple Eskimos happened to come wandering by and showed me the way back to camp."

It's easy to run this story through kind of a standard liberal arts analysis: the exact same experience can mean two totally different things to two different people, given those people's two different belief templates and two different ways of constructing meaning from experience. Because we prize tolerance and diversity of belief, nowhere in our liberal arts analysis do we want to claim that one guy's interpretation is true and the other guy's is false or bad. Which is fine, except we also never end up talking about just where these individual templates and beliefs come from. Meaning, where they come from INSIDE the two guys. As if a person's most basic orientation toward the world, and the meaning of his experience were somehow just hard-wired, like height or shoe-size; or automatically absorbed from the culture, like language. As if how we construct meaning were not actually a matter of personal, intentional choice. Plus, there's the whole matter of arrogance. The nonreligious guy is so totally certain in his dismissal of the possibility that the passing Eskimos had anything to do with his prayer for help. True, there are plenty of religious people who seem arrogant and certain of their own interpretations, too. They're probably even more repulsive than atheists, at least to most of us. But religious dogmatists' problem is exactly the same as the story's unbeliever: blind certainty, a close-mindedness that amounts to an imprisonment so total that the prisoner doesn't even know he's locked up.

The point here is that I think this is one part of what teaching me how to think is really supposed to mean. To be just a little less arrogant. To have just a little critical awareness about myself and my certainties. Because a huge percentage of the stuff that I tend to be automatically certain of is, it turns out, totally wrong and deluded. I have learned this the hard way, as I predict you graduates will, too.

Here is just one example of the total wrongness of something I tend to be automatically sure of: everything in my own immediate experience supports my deep belief that I am the absolute centre of the universe; the realest, most vivid and important person in existence. We rarely think about this sort of natural, basic self-centredness because it's so socially repulsive. But it's pretty much the same for all of us. It is our default setting, hard-wired into our boards at birth. Think about it: there is no experience you have had that you are not the absolute centre of. The world as you experience it is there in front of YOU or behind YOU, to the left or right of YOU, on YOUR TV or YOUR monitor. And so on. Other people's thoughts and feelings have to be communicated to you somehow, but your own are so immediate, urgent, real.

Please don't worry that I'm getting ready to lecture you about compassion or other-directedness or all the so-called virtues. This is not a matter of virtue. It's a matter of my choosing to do the work of somehow altering or getting free of my natural, hard-wired default setting which is to be deeply and literally self-centered and to see and interpret everything through this lens of self. People who can adjust their natural default setting this way are often described as being "well-adjusted", which I suggest to you is not an accidental term.

Given the triumphant academic setting here, an obvious question is how much of this work of adjusting our default setting involves actual knowledge or intellect. This question gets very tricky. Probably the most dangerous thing about an academic education--least in my own case--is that it enables my tendency to over-intellectualise stuff, to get lost in abstract argument inside my head, instead of simply paying attention to what is going on right in front of me, paying attention to what is going on inside me.

DAVID FOSTER WALLACE in his own words As I'm sure you guys know by now, it is extremely difficult to stay alert and attentive, instead of getting hypnotised by the constant monologue inside your own head (may be happening right now). Twenty years after my own graduation, I have come gradually to understand that the liberal arts cliché about teaching you how to think is actually shorthand for a much deeper, more serious idea: learning how to think really means learning how to exercise some control over how and what you think. It means being conscious and aware enough to choose what you pay attention to and to choose how you construct meaning from experience. Because if you cannot exercise this kind of choice in adult life, you will be totally hosed. Think of the old cliché about "the mind being an excellent servant but a terrible master".

This, like many clichés, so lame and unexciting on the surface, actually expresses a great and terrible truth. It is not the least bit coincidental that adults who commit suicide with firearms almost always shoot themselves in: the head. They shoot the terrible master. And the truth is that most of these suicides are actually dead long before they pull the trigger.

And I submit that this is what the real, no bullshit value of your liberal arts education is supposed to be about: how to keep from going through your comfortable, prosperous, respectable adult life dead, unconscious, a slave to your head and to your natural default setting of being uniquely, completely, imperially alone day in and day out. That may sound like hyperbole, or abstract nonsense. Let's get concrete. The plain fact is that you graduating seniors do not yet have any clue what "day in day out" really means. There happen to be whole, large parts of adult American life that nobody talks about in commencement speeches. One such part involves boredom, routine and petty frustration. The parents and older folks here will know all too well what I'm talking about.

By way of example, let's say it's an average adult day, and you get up in the morning, go to your challenging, white-collar, college-graduate job, and you work hard for eight or ten hours, and at the end of the day you're tired and somewhat stressed and all you want is to go home and have a good supper and maybe unwind for an hour, and then hit the sack early because, of course, you have to get up the next day and do it all again. But then you remember there's no food at home. You haven't had time to shop this week because of your challenging job, and so now after work you have to get in your car and drive to the supermarket. It's the end of the work day and the traffic is apt to be: very bad. So getting to the store takes way longer than it should, and when you finally get there, the supermarket is very crowded, because of course it's the time of day when all the other people with jobs also try to squeeze in some grocery shopping. And the store is hideously lit and infused with soul-killing muzak or corporate pop and it's pretty much the last place you want to be but you can't just get in and quickly out; you have to wander all over the huge, over-lit store's confusing aisles to find the stuff you want and you have to manoeuvre your junky cart through all these other tired, hurried people with carts (et cetera, et cetera, cutting stuff out because this is a long ceremony) and eventually you get all your supper supplies, except now it turns out there aren't enough check-out lanes open even though it's the end-of-the-day rush. So the checkout line is incredibly long, which is stupid and infuriating. But you can't take your frustration out on the frantic lady working the register, who is overworked at a job whose daily tedium and meaninglessness surpasses the imagination of any of us here at a prestigious college.

But anyway, you finally get to the checkout line's front, and you pay for your food, and you get told to "Have a nice day" in a voice that is the absolute voice of death. Then you have to take your creepy, flimsy, plastic bags of groceries in your cart with the one crazy wheel that pulls maddeningly to the left, all the way out through the crowded, bumpy, littery parking lot, and then you have to drive all the way home through slow, heavy, SUV-intensive, rush-hour traffic, et cetera et cetera.

Everyone here has done this, of course. But it hasn't yet been part of you graduates' actual life routine, day after week after month after year.

But it will be. And many more dreary, annoying, seemingly meaningless routines besides. But that is not the point. The point is that petty, frustrating crap like this is exactly where the work of choosing is gonna come in. Because the traffic jams and crowded aisles and long checkout lines give me time to think, and if I don't make a conscious decision about how to think and what to pay attention to, I'm gonna be pissed and miserable every time I have to shop. Because my natural default setting is the certainty that situations like this are really all about me. About MY hungriness and MY fatigue and MY desire to just get home, and it's going to seem for all the world like everybody else is just in my way. And who are all these people in my way? And look at how repulsive most of them are, and how stupid and cow-like and dead-eyed and nonhuman they seem in the checkout line, or at how annoying and rude it is that people are talking loudly on cell phones in the middle of the line. And look at how deeply and personally unfair this is.

Or, of course, if I'm in a more socially conscious liberal arts form of my default setting, I can spend time in the end-of-the-day traffic being disgusted about all the huge, stupid, lane-blocking SUV's and Hummers and V-12 pickup trucks, burning their wasteful, selfish, 40-gallon tanks of gas, and I can dwell on the fact that the patriotic or religious bumper-stickers always seem to be on the biggest, most disgustingly selfish vehicles, driven by the ugliest [responding here to loud applause] (this is an example of how NOT to think, though) most disgustingly selfish vehicles, driven by the ugliest, most inconsiderate and aggressive drivers. And I can think about how our children's children will despise us for wasting all the future's fuel, and probably screwing up the climate, and how spoiled and stupid and selfish and disgusting we all are, and how modern consumer society just sucks, and so forth and so on.

You get the idea.

If I choose to think this way in a store and on the freeway, fine. Lots of us do. Except thinking this way tends to be so easy and automatic that it doesn't have to be a choice. It is my natural default setting. It's the automatic way that I experience the boring, frustrating, crowded parts of adult life when I'm operating on the automatic, unconscious belief that I am the centre of the world, and that my immediate needs and feelings are what should determine the world's priorities.

The thing is that, of course, there are totally different ways to think about these kinds of situations. In this traffic, all these vehicles stopped and idling in my way, it's not impossible that some of these people in SUV's have been in horrible auto accidents in the past, and now find driving so terrifying that their therapist has all but ordered them to get a huge, heavy SUV so they can feel safe enough to drive. Or that the Hummer that just cut me off is maybe being driven by a father whose little child is hurt or sick in the seat next to him, and he's trying to get this kid to the hospital, and he's in a bigger, more legitimate hurry than I am: it is actually I who am in HIS way.

Or I can choose to force myself to consider the likelihood that everyone else in the supermarket's checkout line is just as bored and frustrated as I am, and that some of these people probably have harder, more tedious and painful lives than I do.

Again, please don't think that I'm giving you moral advice, or that I'm saying you are supposed to think this way, or that anyone expects you to just automatically do it. Because it's hard. It takes will and effort, and if you are like me, some days you won't be able to do it, or you just flat out won't want to.

But most days, if you're aware enough to give yourself a choice, you can choose to look differently at this fat, dead-eyed, over-made-up lady who just screamed at her kid in the checkout line. Maybe she's not usually like this. Maybe she's been up three straight nights holding the hand of a husband who is dying of bone cancer. Or maybe this very lady is the low-wage clerk at the motor vehicle department, who just yesterday helped your spouse resolve a horrific, infuriating, red-tape problem through some small act of bureaucratic kindness. Of course, none of this is likely, but it's also not impossible. It just depends what you want to consider. If you're automatically sure that you know what reality is, and you are operating on your default setting, then you, like me, probably won't consider possibilities that aren't annoying and miserable. But if you really learn how to pay attention, then you will know there are other options. It will actually be within your power to experience a crowded, hot, slow, consumer-hell type situation as not only meaningful, but sacred, on fire with the same force that made the stars: love, fellowship, the mystical oneness of all things deep down.

Not that that mystical stuff is necessarily true. The only thing that's capital-T True is that you get to decide how you're gonna try to see it.

This, I submit, is the freedom of a real education, of learning how to be well-adjusted. You get to consciously decide what has meaning and what doesn't. You get to decide what to worship.

Because here's something else that's weird but true: in the day-to-day trenches of adult life, there is actually no such thing as atheism. There is no such thing as not worshipping. Everybody worships. The only choice we get is what to worship. And the compelling reason for maybe choosing some sort of god or spiritual-type thing to worship--be it JC or Allah, be it YHWH or the Wiccan Mother Goddess, or the Four Noble Truths, or some inviolable set of ethical principles--is that pretty much anything else you worship will eat you alive. If you worship money and things, if they are where you tap real meaning in life, then you will never have enough, never feel you have enough. It's the truth. Worship your body and beauty and sexual allure and you will always feel ugly. And when time and age start showing, you will die a million deaths before they finally grieve you. On one level, we all know this stuff already. It's been codified as myths, proverbs, clichés, epigrams, parables; the skeleton of every great story. The whole trick is keeping the truth up front in daily consciousness.

Worship power, you will end up feeling weak and afraid, and you will need ever more power over others to numb you to your own fear. Worship your intellect, being seen as smart, you will end up feeling stupid, a fraud, always on the verge of being found out. But the insidious thing about these forms of worship is not that they're evil or sinful, it's that they're unconscious. They are default settings.

They're the kind of worship you just gradually slip into, day after day, getting more and more selective about what you see and how you measure value without ever being fully aware that that's what you're doing.

And the so-called real world will not discourage you from operating on your default settings, because the so-called real world of men and money and power hums merrily along in a pool of fear and anger and frustration and craving and worship of self. Our own present culture has harnessed these forces in ways that have yielded extraordinary wealth and comfort and personal freedom. The freedom all to be lords of our tiny skull-sized kingdoms, alone at the centre of all creation. This kind of freedom has much to recommend it. But of course there are all different kinds of freedom, and the kind that is most precious you will not hear much talk about much in the great outside world of wanting and achieving.... The really important kind of freedom involves attention and awareness and discipline, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them over and over in myriad petty, unsexy ways every day.

That is real freedom. That is being educated, and understanding how to think. The alternative is unconsciousness, the default setting, the rat race, the constant gnawing sense of having had, and lost, some infinite thing.

I know that this stuff probably doesn't sound fun and breezy or grandly inspirational the way a commencement speech is supposed to sound. What it is, as far as I can see, is the capital-T Truth, with a whole lot of rhetorical niceties stripped away. You are, of course, free to think of it whatever you wish. But please don't just dismiss it as just some finger-wagging Dr Laura sermon. None of this stuff is really about morality or religion or dogma or big fancy questions of life after death.

The capital-T Truth is about life BEFORE death.

It is about the real value of a real education, which has almost nothing to do with knowledge, and everything to do with simple awareness; awareness of what is so real and essential, so hidden in plain sight all around us, all the time, that we have to keep reminding ourselves over and over:

"This is water."

"This is water."

It is unimaginably hard to do this, to stay conscious and alive in the adult world day in and day out. Which means yet another grand cliché turns out to be true: your education really IS the job of a lifetime. And it commences: now.

I wish you way more than luck.

Comment

this is all kinds of odd.

Two hospitals and a leading city mortuary have refused to work with one of the country’s most senior State pathologists for over two years after unspecified complaints were made by staff.

In Aug 2010, the mortuary services manager at CUH, Dan Collins, contacted Prof Cassidy to tell her his staff would no longer work with Dr Jabbar due to an "unpleasant event" that took place in July.
                                                                                          Serious WTF sentence.

Comment

What would history think of a person who bets each way on 10/11 shots and 11/8 shots

Comment

I'm not sure why Sky Sports have added an mumbling inarticulate scouser to what was by far the best football show on tv last season. Don't try fix what isn't broken, Chamberlain and Neville were brilliant on their own.
                                                                                              Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

Can I return goods that I have bought under the influence?
                                                                                                Yes. Distance selling regulations (EU only obviously). 7 days to return unopened after receipt.
                                                                                                May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Seems like we may have inadvertently stumbled upon the nut worst discussion topic in the bbv evah. Although it does permit equal doses of titillation and moral superiority, so can't be all bad.

In other newz, I got my typo of the week in early - 'as per my pervious remarks'. Seems apt.
                                                                                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Move over Slanegirl. 'Guy caught in the act shagging a donkey' that just found it's way into my FB newsfeed should take some attention off of her. The look of embarrassment on the poor guys face, and he wasn't drunk or stoned and neither was the donkey.

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                                      Move over Slanegirl. 'Guy caught in the act shagging a donkey' that just found it's way into my FB newsfeed should take some attention off of her. The look of embarrassment on the poor guys face, and he wasn't drunk or stoned and neither was the donkey.

He took boobs or ass too far

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                                                          Scott Parker and Darren Bent to Fulham at a total cost of 3 million?

That's some super business in fairness
                                                                                                          Looks like QPR signed Parker. Quick change needed to my FF team so!
                                                                                                          U-turn complete and he signed for Fulham. Kayroo be a happy man!

Comment

Fulham building a team that could challenge for top 4.

In 2009.

Comment

Irish guy?
                                                                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                                Irish guy?
                                                                                                                I'd hazard a guess at Iranian

Comment

so according to the WSOP website then yes he is Irish

Comment

Not that video where's he's singing a song while doing it? One of the lads in work was obsessed with that for quite some time. Not me obv.
                                                                                                                    Official Head Marshall of Waterford Gay Pride Festival 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Icarus152 View Post
                                                                                                                      Not that video where's he's singing a song while doing it? One of the lads in work was obsessed with that for quite some time. Not me obv.
                                                                                                                      It's not that one, but i did watch this one 3/4 times because his reaction and the way he jumped up was just too much to take. It seems to have been taken down from FB thought because the original and 2 guys that shared it, no longer have it.

Comment

City groundsman must have been on acid today. Pointless semi circles everywhere.
                                                                                                                        Profit before people.

Comment

Oh got a flashback there, was out in Whelans last night and a hot bar woman asks for my number. Times are good
                                                                                                                          Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X