X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Going to foreign shores to sit around a shit apartment by the beach is one of the weirdest affectations people have.
      I can understand city breaks and touring interesting places, vacations where you are busy doing things or where you travel to visit people. But if you want to switch off and relax, eat great food, enjoy beautiful landscapes in a climate that is not so hot that you have to hide away from it then there is no where better to do that than here in Ireland.
      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
        Going to foreign shores to sit around a shit apartment by the beach is one of the weirdest affectations people have.
        I can understand city breaks and touring interesting places, vacations where you are busy doing things or where you travel to visit people. But if you want to switch off and relax, eat great food, enjoy beautiful landscapes in a climate that is not so hot that you have to hide away from it then there is no where better to do that than here in Ireland.
        Tell that to the rainy week I just spent in Killarney

Mind you.. you aren't wrong about the scenery.
        May you live in interesting times!

Comment

There is a place in Wicklow where one can stay which has a magical relaxing quality. There are no words which can adequately describe it. I have never felt such calmness anywhere. I have been a couple of times recently and will be there again in a couple of weeks time.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
            There is a place in Wicklow where one can stay which has a magical relaxing quality. There are no words which can adequately describe it. I have never felt such calmness anywhere. I have been a couple of times recently and will be there again in a couple of weeks time.

http://www.homeaway.co.uk/p865118
            That looks unreal.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
              The only holiday I was ever on before I was 19 was to London when I was 9 to go to my brothers wedding. Apart from that, 1 trip a year to the seaside was about as exciting as it got.
              One of these days I am either going to quit poker or learn how to play the damn game

Comment

@The-Rigger, what did you make of Canadian Bacon with John Candy?

Do you think it was a scheme by Hollywood to incorporate as many foodstuffs into the making of movies back then in order to increase obesity and thus encouraging lazy fat sods to watch more movies?
                ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

I'm off to play my testimonial at the weekly EPA 5 a side.

There could well be tears.
                  ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by bp_me View Post
                    Tell that to the rainy week I just spent in Killarney

Mind you.. you aren't wrong about the scenery.
                    People tend to over play the weather, they look out from overheated rooms at something that isn't quite the sun splitting the rocks and decide the weather is terrible.

I try to go for a walk every day around lunchtime, using rainfall radar and a flexible starting out time so far this year there have been only 4 days I have not been able to get out.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                        I actually toyed with the idea of a holiday thread - it works for restaurants and books etc so why not holidays. I was only this morning thinking of how somebody went to see the Northern Lights and how I would like to repeat it - that stuff is too valuable to be lost in the BBV.

Last year I went to Achill for my holidays - loved it. Keem beach is one of the most beautiful places on the world. I took a drive down by Cong and Kylemore Abbey - a beautiful day out. How many antually realise that Kylemore Abbey exists in Ireland?

please do so, Id like to look at those places on a weekend break. would forget them other wise. A thread/reviews/TRs would be nice to see.
                        Can include the locations of poker tournaments and things to do at them too.

Comment

Jesus thats one ugly watch. Love the inscription "Congratulations to Jamie Gold! Final Table Chip Count $25,650,000. You are the proud owner of the Corum Bubble Royal Flush! 2006 World Series of Poker."
                          Wonder what percentage of ME final Tablers are busto within 3-4 years. Has to be at least 50%

Comment

Growing up we never went on foreign holidays at all and Killarney to the Gleneagle was the usual, can't beat some Mickey Joe Harte in the INEC. It wasn't every year but was definitely enjoyable. Never visited anywhere foreign till I went to London and Barcelona in school which I didn't fully appreciate.
                            I visited Kusadasi with friends for 2 weeks a few years ago and I can safely say, I wouldn't do a cheap sun holiday ever again. I was so desperate to do something interesting, I visited Ephesus by myself. Also was another place 200km away Pamukkale that I thought was worth the trip but never happened.
                            Endless nights of shitty "Irish bars" and endless days of browsing stalls full of rip off designer clothes was horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                              I used to always say this and would have gone on hols to France/Germany/Italy but over the past years have done a few in the Canaries and enjoyed the week of doing fuck all. That said I'm probably over doing that for a while now.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                I actually toyed with the idea of a holiday thread - it works for restaurants and books etc so why not holidays. I was only this morning thinking of how somebody went to see the Northern Lights and how I would like to repeat it - that stuff is too valuable to be lost in the BBV.

Last year I went to Achill for my holidays - loved it. Keem beach is one of the most beautiful places on the world. I took a drive down by Cong and Kylemore Abbey - a beautiful day out. How many antually realise that Kylemore Abbey exists in Ireland?
                                Work away. I do love those threads

Comment

Ok yesterday I may have been playing up a bit but does anyone actually believe what Shatter has done regarding Mick Wallace is anything other than a horrible abuse of power?
                                  You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                  World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
                                    Growing up we never went on foreign holidays at all and Killarney to the Gleneagle was the usual, can't beat some Mickey Joe Harte in the INEC. It wasn't every year but was definitely enjoyable. Never visited anywhere foreign till I went to London and Barcelona in school which I didn't fully appreciate.
                                    I visited Kusadasi with friends for 2 weeks a few years ago and I can safely say, I wouldn't do a cheap sun holiday ever again. I was so desperate to do something interesting, I visited Ephesus by myself. Also was another place 200km away Pamukkale that I thought was worth the trip but never happened.
                                    Endless nights of shitty "Irish bars" and endless days of browsing stalls full of rip off designer clothes was horrible.
                                    Same place, totally different experience. Went with the missus, stayed in 4 star hotel on the outskirts. Great food, no Irish bars, went out in the old town, barely a word of English spoken by anybody there. Went to Pamukkale, Ephesus, scuba diving etc etc.

Comment

Originally posted by thedini View Post
                                      Same place, totally different experience. Went with the missus, stayed in 4 star hotel on the outskirts. Great food, no Irish bars, went out in the old town, barely a word of English spoken by anybody there. Went to Pamukkale, Ephesus, scuba diving etc etc.
                                      I stayed twice in Gumbet. Hired a car and went to Ephesus as well. Sampled local eateries and had a ball there. I love Turkey. Out on the Gulet cruise and swimming with beautiful coloured fish was top notch.

Comment

Croke Park 2.1 has just been finalised and the mortgage drawdowns drop sharply after the ending of mortgage interest relief in Q4 2012 sucked in the last remaining first time buyers.

I think we all need a holiday.

Start that thread quick Hayes!
                                        ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Biggest Premiership news this season,

Pulis on way out....

Comment

Easily the best article I've read about Fergie by errr Russell Brand

http://m.guardian.co.uk/football/201...guson-football
                                            Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                              Biggest Premiership news this season,

Pulis on way out....

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk...#axzz2TvyMwCXQ
                                              And on the way to Everton apparently

Comment

In fairness Russel Brand often comes across as a very clever man underneath it all. It's usually though hidden behind a veneer of complete madness.

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                  Croke Park 2.1 has just been finalised and the mortgage drawdowns drop sharply after the ending of mortgage interest relief in Q4 2012 sucked in the last remaining first time buyers.

I think we all need a holiday.

Start that thread quick Hayes!
                                                  Not long now

SPOILER

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                    Ok yesterday I may have been playing up a bit but does anyone actually believe what Shatter has done regarding Mick Wallace is anything other than a horrible abuse of power?
                                                    How did he come by the info. and has he the right to publish it are the key questions.

I gather that the details of Wallace's infraction did not enter the Pulse system unlike the other cancellations.

So how or why were details of the incident recorded and how did the Minister become aware of them?
                                                    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                      no, he's slapped down a self-admitted criminal who has no place in the national discourse, save for the purposes of pointing and laughing at
                                                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I am staying in Ireland for this year's family holiday. Cork no less.

pros: driveable, no airport hassles, I can usually remember which side of the road is which, unlikely to suffer from sunstroke, nice beaches

cons: expensive, poor weather, local language incomprehensible, Munster rugby fans
                                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

For those of you thinking about bonds in an inflationary world this article is worth a brief perusal.
                                                          ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Sergio Garcia is some tool. Comes across as such a whingy bitch in his spat with Tiger.
                                                            Profit before people.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                Quite the interesting lesson from these Croke Park II negotiations for us political noobs. Apparently if you want to hang on to excessive pay and perks you need to be loud and obnoxious about it. Seems the major cuts are for the internationally flexible sectors. Not sure how smart that is. You may think the doctor is overpaid, but if they're overpaid by more in other countries, then its gl to all those expensively trained doctors. I'd imagine, in a less critical development, academia will take a hit too, as pay is now far more in many of the competing countries if you have the right cv.

The squeaky wheel gets the oil Hitch, it was always thus.......

As for the long term effects of reducing the quality of academics, that's such a fourth or fifth order effect when we can do crafty 2% corporate tax deals with the Apples of this world as to be effectively meaningless.

Plus scrambling to survive in an online e-learning world of the future means paying for the best academics to live here will be a luxury we certainly can't afford as a country.

Comment

On me way to the below;

Holidays are fucking deadly
                                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                    I am staying in Ireland for this year's family holiday. Cork no less.

pros: driveable, no airport hassles, I can usually remember which side of the road is which, unlikely to suffer from sunstroke, nice beaches

cons: expensive, poor weather, local language incomprehensible, Munster rugby fans
                                                                    LolCork
                                                                    "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

This a little NSFW

SPOILER
                                                                      https://www.facebook.com/pages/MidWe...17622831832879
                                                                      http://mayopubpoker.com/

Comment

Comment

Comment

Of course the issue is that most new money into business schools comes from bespoke executive training courses which aren't realistically amenable to mainstream e-learning as they are designed around the particular company's situation. Also research is making up a much bigger chunk of income and is now the majority of our jobs. Our school got research income last year that was the equivalent of the income from educating 600 undergrads. The Law&Gov department gets vastly more research income than student fee income, so their jobs are primarily paid for by research. You just can't get that type of funding without excellent academics as its all cross-European mega-competitive schemes.

(I say this btw not as one of said excellent academics, but rather as an aspiring one!)
                                                                            That's quite interesting but I was referring to academia in Ireland in general and not Business schools specifically. Obviously if you are in the paid research game you need to attract and hold on to the sponsors of said research.

It's not that hard to put in place a different sort of contract for those star academics that attract sponsorship and have them work as a contractor outside of the public sector pay shackels I'd have thought. The rest of the plebs can take the pay cut until they get a better offer.

Comment

Great explanation of why Falcao will most likely end up at Monaco (Another 3rd party ownership story).

Opr

Comment

PM to BCB
                                                                                ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

...

Comment

Anyone know the best place to get the newest edition of Economics by Mankiw & Taylor?

Just seeing is there anywhere cheaper than Amazon (not likely I know)

Comment

Originally posted by TheJiggaman View Post
                                                                                      Anyone know the best place to get the newest edition of Economics by Mankiw & Taylor?

Try getting it in Ebook format?

From.... a bay full of pirates or someplace?

It's not like you'll make notes or anything anyway!
                                                                                      ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by TheJiggaman View Post

You don't need that book. Follow hitch On Twitter and meet him for beers or go on an economic retreat to Amsterdam with him
                                                                                        Last edited by eamonhonda; 21-05-13, 17:14.
                                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

One time plz sun god
                                                                                          SPOILER

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                            One time plz sun god
                                                                                            SPOILER
                                                                                            Is there anything to be said for saying another mass?
                                                                                            ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                              You don't need that book. Follow hitch On Twitter and meet him for beers or go on an economic retreat to Amsterdam with him
                                                                                              Nah I'm interested in getting the book. Was 'recommended reading' for Macro & Micro in college (which isn't needed at all) but I have an interest in it outside there as it seems pretty good and want to check it out.

Micknail's suggestion of E-Book might be possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                                                Great explanation of why Falcao will most likely end up at Monaco (Another 3rd party ownership story).

Opr
                                                                                                So the 2/1 available is a decent price so?

Comment

3 job interviews tomorrow. About time I got back into gainful employment at this stage I suppose. Hopefully I can bink 1 of them.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                                      So the 2/1 available is a decent price so?
                                                                                                      Where is 2/1 available? It's 1/4 and 8/13 with Skybet/BetVictor.

Opr

Comment

I'd say Chapters would have cheap secondhand copies. There's minimal difference between versions, so I wouldn't be put out by buying an older edition. Worth getting the paper version as that type of textbook doesn't really work as a pdf. Def available via cousins though.

There's also reasonably minimal difference between any book called 'Economics' as intro to micro and macro have been set courses for many years, so all textbooks teach the same material
                                                                                                        ty

Ya my lecturer was saying there is minimal differences between it and older issues bar some different figures really.

Another book she mentioned was Parkin, Powell & Matthews so I suppose I could get that.

I like the layout of Mankiw & Taylor though.

Comment

People of the BBV I'm most likely being thick here, got a new mower (a cheap piece of shit electric mower from Woodies) and was cutting the grass today, was almost finished and got to an area a couple of feet away from the fence that had slightly thicker grass and the mower stopped cutting. The blade still spins but no cutting. Tried changing the height settings, but no different, likewise tried removing the collector box and no joy, also cleaned it out of all grass and nothing. Lovely day today so the grass was dry although that area was shaded so perhaps a bit damp.

I have done the age old plug it out, put it away and try tomorrow, but thought I would post up here to see if you anyone here could shed some light, like I said quite possible its something simple I'm missing. Thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                                                            Where is 2/1 available? It's 1/4 and 8/13 with Skybet/BetVictor.

Opr
                                                                                                            Betfred

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                                                              People of the BBV I'm most likely being thick here, got a new mower (a cheap piece of shit electric mower from Woodies) and was cutting the grass today, was almost finished and got to an area a couple of feet away from the fence that had slightly thicker grass and the mower stopped cutting. The blade still spins but no cutting. Tried changing the height settings, but no different, likewise tried removing the collector box and no joy, also cleaned it out of all grass and nothing. Lovely day today so the grass was dry although that area was shaded so perhaps a bit damp.

I have done the age old plug it out, put it away and try tomorrow, but thought I would post up here to see if you anyone here could shed some light, like I said quite possible its something simple I'm missing. Thanks in advance
                                                                                                              Colour of said mower?
                                                                                                              Her sky-ness
                                                                                                              © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle SatNav View Post
                                                                                                                Colour of said mower?
                                                                                                                mower colour ldo

Comment

We 100% need a holiday thread. Defo stuff of great value could be lost in bb thread. Someone get on that shit.

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post
                                                                                                                    We 100% need a holiday thread. Defo stuff of great value could be lost in bb thread. Someone get on that shit.
                                                                                                                    hmmm some ideas for headings:
                                                                                                                    Flight Time, $$, Hotel, Food, Attractions, Beach's, Average temp, Overall trip report?
                                                                                                                    Could be a long list of headings hard to pick a template

Comment

I know we all have paleo-tastic inclinations these days, and for the most part I eat well, but I just want to give a shout out to LIDL brand ice-cream Noblissima
                                                                                                                      vanilla bourbon flavour.

Stuff is like crack. Insanely good with appletart. Compares favourably with the fitz imo and that is saying a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnOB View Post
                                                                                                                        hmmm some ideas for headings:
                                                                                                                        Flight Time, $$, Hotel, Food, Attractions, Beach's, Average temp, Overall trip report?
                                                                                                                        Could be a long list of headings hard to pick a template
                                                                                                                        Freestyle might nearly be better, especially for the wordsmiths. I'd just be waiting for Rounders to go somewhere like Egypt or Peru or something to give us his take on it.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                                                          Freestyle might nearly be better, especially for the wordsmiths. I'd just be waiting for Rounders to go somewhere like Egypt or Peru or something to give us his take on it.
                                                                                                                          Yea freestyle be better, cant really have certain headings when there's big differences between city breaks, sun holidays and skiing.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X