Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Zod, laptop acting VERY bad/laggy the last week. Its nearly 3 years old & gets a shitload of use. Is it fucked you think?

Use Norton (yeah, yeah I know) & two messages keep popping up -
    High disk usage by host process for Windows services?
    High network usage by Windows Media Player network?

Time to buy a new one?

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
      Quick question - thoughts on the following travel itinerary:

DUB > LHR (Heathrow) - 1 hour 40 min turnaround - LHR > DFW (Dallas-Fort Worth) - 1 hour 40 min turnaround - DFW > LAS

Are those two connection / turnaround times in Heathrow and Dallas-Fort Worth cutting it a bit fine, or should I be ok? Haven't been in DFW in over a decade and can't remember how crazy the airport is.
      Sounds borderline enough especially on the USA side.
      Fairly sure I had a similar turnaround booked for JFK onto LAS, and they rang me about 3 weeks beforehand to say it breached the miminum allowed times, and they rebooked us onto a later flight. I was pissed off as to why the system had offered us the flight combo in the first place.
      (as it turned out we would have missed the earlier flight so in hindsight couldn't really argue with them).

edit :
      Just had a look at the original itinerary and it was 1hr15m in JFK when we booked, and when they changed it they said 90 minutes was the minimum, so you'll prob be ok.
      Last edited by ArmaniJeans; 07-01-13, 12:41.

Comment

Quick question - thoughts on the following travel itinerary:

DUB > LHR (Heathrow) - 1 hour 40 min turnaround - LHR > DFW (Dallas-Fort Worth) - 1 hour 40 min turnaround - DFW > LAS

Are those two connection / turnaround times in Heathrow and Dallas-Fort Worth cutting it a bit fine, or should I be ok? Haven't been in DFW in over a decade and can't remember how crazy the airport is.
        On a good day with bags checked through and boarding passes in hand you can get from your plane at T1 to your gate in T5 at Heathrow in 35 minutes on a bad day that can be over an hour but they need an hour for your bags to have a decent chance of making it anyway.
        Dallas should be no problem, there are loads of flights and they'll just put you on the next one if you're running late.
        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

is 40 mins bad or good or ok for a 3 mile walk? didnt feel like I was bombing it by no means.
          Her sky-ness
          © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
            Plus IPB was off the air for about 30 minutes which doesn't help.

I'm spending some time working on my personal and business goals for 2013 at the minute. It's actually great fun to think what could be achieved and the concrete steps that need to be taken in a patient, disciplined and relentless manner to get there.

I found this article quite thought provoking on the topic.
            I was reading that article this morning on Flipboard and doing the same thing!

Granted, a lot of mine are fitness related but its interesting visualising where Ill be in a years time!
            This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle SatNav View Post
              is 40 mins bad or good or ok for a 3 mile walk? didnt feel like I was bombing it by no means.
              Doesnt really matter as long as you enjoyed it!
              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by FeetMagic View Post
                Just in relation to Shano1888's and CHD's posts re cannabis; I've smoked cannabis pretty much everyday for the past 4 years and probably smoked on average 7/8 cigs a day during that time (avg up to about 15 in the past 6 months). Been off both cold turkey for 6 days now and can honestly say the cravings and temptation for cannabis are stronger. Just wanted to say it because I hear people argue all the time that it's not addictive/easy to kick. That's not the case for everyone.

Anyways, best of luck Caf!
                Im not being funny but how do you know your not just craving fags? I smoked cannabis pretty much every day for 2.5-3.0 years aswell but I stopped (6 years ago) because i had had enough of it; paranoia etc. Im generally not strong willed and i have an addictive personallity but I never once craved it. I found it hard to break away from the scene and routine at first but i def never craved it. i didnt stop smoking fags though. I dont gamble or drink every day, nor even close to every day, but i would have a much harder time kicking those. but everyone is different as you say, i just think that Caf will find this far easier than learning spanish!!

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                  I was reading that article this morning on Flipboard and doing the same thing!

Granted, a lot of mine are fitness related but its interesting visualising where Ill be in a years time!
                  My fitness ones were easy to map out as I have no intentions of "competing" in anything or needing to lift a particular weight. LGN is as far as i'm going with the fitness!!
                  ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                    My fitness ones were easy to map out as I have no intentions of "competing" in anything or needing to lift a particular weight. LGN is as far as i'm going with the fitness!!
                    Whos your PT may I ask?

Comment

Left your keys inside? No problem, You need just a shoe lace and handy fingers. Good luck :) Tying the knot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3frcH5bpO0

Nice
                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

What would you (you, the average IPBer I mean) find easier to give up, gambling / poker or drink?

For me, it would be drink, I don't drink to excess IMHO and can easily go a few weeks without a drink - but don't think I could give it up for any lengthy period unless it was a health-related decision (i.e. a doctor tells me you're doing yourself damage with every drink, you have to stop).

If I had to stop gambling or playing poker tomorrow, I could fairly easily, I don't gamble very much anyhow and despite the financial benefits I've seen over the years playing poker I am not 100% certain it's a good use of my time, I'm not very good at it compared to those who actually excel at the game, and in general prefer to do other things with my spare time usually. I do like having the option to play open to me though, and despite not having a very addictive personality I am quite regimented in my ways so when I do get into a habit of playing, I find it hard to break.

Throwing the question open to the floor, would be interested to hear other people's thoughts.

Comment

Thats 4.5m/hr - randomly reading round the web suggests walking speeds of 3 to 5 mphr, so you're toward the upper end of that.

Agree with Theresa though - getting fit, healthy etc.., especially at start out stage, should be at level and activity you enjoy, you're much more likely to keep it up and develop it that way.

Comment

I've got a fitness type question.

I'm not quite as unfit as I look I walk plenty and swim occasionally but I don't do anything else much other than work in the garden.
                            The problem is that about 5 times in the year I have to do a long session of medium heavy digging probably about 2 - 3 hours in the garden and would spend another few hours on my knees working. I stretch for a few minutes before I start and a bit when I'm finished but every time I wake up next day and the muscles at the back of my thighs are very sore and they will stay that way for nearly a week no matter what I do.
                            Is there something specific that doesn't involve going to a gym that I could be doing to stop this happening?

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

I'm not quite as unfit as I look I walk plenty and swim occasionally but I don't do anything else much other than work in the garden.
                              The problem is that about 5 times in the year I have to do a long session of medium heavy digging probably about 2 - 3 hours in the garden and would spend another few hours on my knees working. I stretch for a few minutes before I start and a bit when I'm finished but every time I wake up next day and the muscles at the back of my thighs are very sore and they will stay that way for nearly a week no matter what I do.
                              Is there something specific that doesn't involve going to a gym that I could be doing to stop this happening?
                              absolutely not.

It's called DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness). You can treat it with heat and trying to do similar movements throughout the next day, but it's simply the muscle fibres that you have torn through work regrowing.

I'll be in rags tomorrow after squatting this morning for first time in a month. It doesn't really get any better, you just get used to it!

Heat / Deep Heat / Bath and keep contracting the muscles the next day to keep the 'excretion' of dead tissue moving.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                @Zod, laptop acting VERY bad/laggy the last week. Its nearly 3 years old & gets a shitload of use. Is it fucked you think?

Time to buy a new one?
                                This the same one from over xmas yeah?

disable the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service and reboot.
                                How to
                                general maintenance

One of my faves

Tbh, get rid of norton, it is a HUGE resource hog.
                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

What would you (you, the average IPBer I mean) find easier to give up, gambling / poker or drink?

For me, it would be drink, I don't drink to excess IMHO and can easily go a few weeks without a drink - but don't think I could give it up for any lengthy period unless it was a health-related decision (i.e. a doctor tells me you're doing yourself damage with every drink, you have to stop).

If I had to stop gambling or playing poker tomorrow, I could fairly easily, I don't gamble very much anyhow and despite the financial benefits I've seen over the years playing poker I am not 100% certain it's a good use of my time, I'm not very good at it compared to those who actually excel at the game, and in general prefer to do other things with my spare time usually. I do like having the option to play open to me though, and despite not having a very addictive personality I am quite regimented in my ways so when I do get into a habit of playing, I find it hard to break.

Throwing the question open to the floor, would be interested to hear other people's thoughts.
                                  Thats very interesting, i was only thinking last night what my main issue is with all vices, drink, fags, gambling was. I came to the conclusion for some reason i cant do moderation, it seems to be all or nothing with me and the nothing part is easier to overcome than i thought, like with all things in life if you have the mental strength ( im getting there) to quit stuff thats harming you.

The smokes are gone now 12 weeks and i am seriously considering knocking the booze on the head also, both things are not good for my health.
                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

Get Keane to do it for you !
                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

I could easily do both if I had to. Drink would bother me more though as I'm not a fan of being in a pub on a night out and not drinking.

Comment

By saying 'Gambling/Poker or drink' are you saying gambling and poker is the same thing? I could easily give up gambling and never put another bet on again, but poker for many is a job and it's a way to make money. Some people don't work or have any qualifications and choose poker as an option. 99% probably play it as a hobby or for some pocket money but it's a job to the rest. It's not a case of giving it up. Some people play to try and make money. It's like going out to work for others.

Same with drink. I go weeks and sometimes months without a drink. Think i've had about 10 bottles since i got married in September so could also give that up no problem. If i was playing poker for play money, or if it somehow ended up as just a game where you can never withdraw a cent from it, then i'd never play it again. But, while there's always an option of winning 4, 5 and 6 figure sums every time you enter a tournament then i'll never give it up unless i completely bust myself or if I can't ever see myself being a winner again.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                            absolutely not.

It's called DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness). You can treat it with heat and trying to do similar movements throughout the next day, but it's simply the muscle fibres that you have torn through work regrowing.

I'll be in rags tomorrow after squatting this morning for first time in a month. It doesn't really get any better, you just get used to it!

Heat / Deep Heat / Bath and keep contracting the muscles the next day to keep the 'excretion' of dead tissue moving.
                                            Some stuff here I wouldnt agree with!

The reason you are sore is corrrect! Its stoppable though by doing exercise consistently! I dont think this is your preferred solution but it is one! I dont get DOMS anymore as Im consistently doing the same movements!

Treating it with Heat is a bad idea though, heat promotes inflammation, itll prob help with the pain but not with the recovery! Treat it with cold! Also no need for ice/heat alternating! Its no help really! Just ice!

That applies to all workout/exertion induced pain!

Comment

Christ I used a lot of exclamation marks there.

Comment

Steve you write like a 14 year old girl.

Except not hot.

Comment

Also, re:heat/ice I watched this

We've got to stop Icing people.We were wrong. Soooo wrong.SUBSCRIBE: http://bit.ly/1bRdYecAbout The Ready State:The Ready State is the new home of MobilityW...

And changed my mind on icing completely. I think Compression and heat are the key.

Comment

QQ while the two of ye are around lads; is there any issue with eating a lot of fried food that is fried in coconut oil? It's my preferred method for every meal bar fish so would just like reassurance I'm not being unhealthy.

Comment

Whos your PT may I ask?
                                                      Dave Hare at functional training. Good guy. They work with a lot of runners and footballers and paralympians in there.

Dave himself is a weight lifter.

They are based on fitzwilliam sq.
                                                      ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

100% I would find it easier to give up drink. I don't really drink that much at all so would be very easy for me I would say.

I would find it extremely hard to completely stay away from poker. I play most days now and even if I'm not playing I will most likely end up railing someone, reading poker forums or watching a poker show. One of my goals for this year is to cut back on it though and find more interests away from the poker scene.

With other forms of gambling I could easily go the rest of my life without placing a bet. I've never been into betting large amounts of money on sports etc.

Comment

QQ while the two of ye are around lads; is there any issue with eating a lot of fried food that is fried in coconut oil? It's my preferred method for every meal bar fish so would just like reassurance I'm not being unhealthy.
                                                          Not really. Just watch for calories thats all.

I fry all my veg in butter.

Comment

absolutely not.

Well I do keep stretching over the days but it doesn't seem to help if anything it feels like its making them worse. For instance I'll raise my leg on to something at about hip height and stretch to touch toes , when I reach say right foot with left hand I'll be stretching right through the pain and it will seem worse for a while afterwards. if I go for a long walk it will be ok when I'm walking but sore again when I rest for a while.
                                                            I never have baths, seem like such a waste of time but I might try it.
                                                            Some stuff here I wouldnt agree with!

The reason you are sore is corrrect! Its stoppable though by doing exercise consistently! I dont think this is your preferred solution but it is one! I dont get DOMS anymore as Im consistently doing the same movements!

Treating it with Heat is a bad idea though, heat promotes inflammation, itll prob help with the pain but not with the recovery! Treat it with cold! Also no need for ice/heat alternating! Its no help really! Just ice!

That applies to all workout/exertion induced pain!
                                                            Not sure there is enough ice to cover the area involved!
                                                            Yea I might be interested in doing a few little exercises consistently that would stop this particular issue, if I knew what the right thing to do was.

Comment

Ease with which to give upp

1 - Poker. Its shit anyway and I'm shit at it
                                                              2 - Gambling. Would be easy to get rid of online accounts, but the random bets here and there not so much.
                                                              3 - Drink. Never gonna happen. Enjoy a few sociables far too much, and getting wellied from time to time also. Too many craft beers still waiting to be tasted. I still want to brew my own too, couldnt be doing this without sampling the wares.

Comment

Also, re:heat/ice I watched this

We've got to stop Icing people.We were wrong. Soooo wrong.SUBSCRIBE: http://bit.ly/1bRdYecAbout The Ready State:The Ready State is the new home of MobilityW...

And changed my mind on icing completely. I think Compression and heat are the key.
                                                                Cant watch now but will later. Have a good idea of whats going to be said nevertheless will have a look.

IME in having a sauna or ice shower after foam rolling, ice wins hands down though.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Time to buy a new one?
                                                                  if you'll be home/online tonight drop me a pm and I'll connect in and have a gander for you.
                                                                  Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Well I do keep stretching over the days but it doesn't seem to help if anything it feels like its making them worse. For instance I'll raise my leg on to something at about hip height and stretch to touch toes , when I reach say right foot with left hand I'll be stretching right through the pain and it will seem worse for a while afterwards. if I go for a long walk it will be ok when I'm walking but sore again when I rest for a while.
                                                                    I never have baths, seem like such a waste of time but I might try it.

Not sure there is enough ice to cover the area involved!
                                                                    Yea I might be interested in doing a few little exercises consistently that would stop this particular issue, if I knew what the right thing to do was.
                                                                    First issue try dynamic stretching. Move through a full range of motion. Holding statically wont really help.

In terms of exercises, doing bodyweight squats, push ups, planks and burpees will help in terms of conditioning!

Comment

are you burning it or frying it?

I cook everything in the Ghee these days. Coconut oil for meats and veg gets soaked in butter.

Gotta get them good fats into ya!

Comment

Not really. Just watch for calories thats all.

I fry all my veg in butter.
                                                                        Cool. Tbsp only 120 kcals and I wouldn't use that much anyway so it's all good. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                          Ease with which to give upp

1 - Poker. Its shit anyway and I'm shit at it
                                                                          2 - Gambling. Would be easy to get rid of online accounts, but the random bets here and there not so much.
                                                                          3 - Drink. Never gonna happen. Enjoy a few sociables far too much, and getting wellied from time to time also. Too many craft beers still waiting to be tasted. I still want to brew my own too, couldnt be doing this without sampling the wares.
                                                                          +1 exactly.
                                                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

I cook everything in the Ghee these days. Coconut oil for meats and veg gets soaked in butter.

Not sure on the difference? I would only notice it burning/smoking when I use it for steak. Usually cook all other meats just below that point. Is it similar to olive oil once it burns?

Comment

ffs lads just get some of this into ya
                                                                              Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by BrianN View Post
                                                                                100% I would find it easier to give up drink. I don't really drink that much at all so would be very easy for me I would say.

I would find it extremely hard to completely stay away from poker. I play most days now and even if I'm not playing I will most likely end up railing someone, reading poker forums or watching a poker show. One of my goals for this year is to cut back on it though and find more interests away from the poker scene.

With other forms of gambling I could easily go the rest of my life without placing a bet. I've never been into betting large amounts of money on sports etc.
                                                                                About three years ago I would've posted pretty much the very same thing. I was absolutely sure I was addicted to poker.

Turns out I wasn't addicted, obsessed more like, and I just lost interest in it.

I don't think I could just lose interest in alcohol or nicotine in the same way, so for me poker was by far the easiest to give up, purely because I didn't wilfully give it up, I simply lost interest.

Comment

on the coconut thing. I girl I know lost a tonne of weight recently . She said she was taking a spoonful of extra virgin coconut oil three times a day and ate her normal dinners. is this bullshit?
                                                                                  Her sky-ness
                                                                                  © 5starpool

Comment

on the coconut thing. I girl I know lost a tonne of weight recently . She said she was taking a spoonful of extra virgin coconut oil three times a day and ate her normal dinners. is this bullshit?

Yes. Complete horseshit.

Comment

Alcohol would be very easy for me to give up. The hardest thing i would find to give up would be the sweet stuff.

I could give up poker right now, if i wanted to. Twitch

Does anyone know which group or person owns Citywest hotel?

Comment

Give us an idea of what you'd cook with ghee, have a fair bit of it left over. Meant to google it, but you'd be a better source of info.

Comment

I just cant get my head around fry everything in butter and the more the better...it goes against everything every Dietician/nutritionist will say.

Are they all wrong or will there be a massive increase in CAD in 10-15 years time by those eating lots of fats.

I know V4V's numbers dropped as well as weight but is there any science or long term studies on a fat rich diet what it does to your arteries and liver over time ?

The paleo thing to me is the same as atkins from a few years ago, you basically eat less calories because you are more full and lose weight.

I just cant see why if it is so good for you mainstream science isnt all over it like white on rice.
                                                                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

anything. Just use it in place of oil.

melt ~25g of ghee in a large saucepan.

fistful of brocolli, fistfull of chopped kale and 2 fists of whole leaf spinach.

5/6 minutes in a saucepan with the lid on, agitate by shaking the greens and the butter/ghee all around the pot. Cooked after 5/6 mins or when the spinach has visibly wilted.

Comment

Are you suggesting that she gave the impression that the coconut oil had some magic properties enabling her to lose weight?
                                                                                              It is bullshit yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post
                                                                                                Are you suggesting that she gave the impression that the coconut oil had some magic properties enabling her to lose weight?
                                                                                                It is bullshit yeah.
                                                                                                all the oil made the food glide through her

Comment

Originally posted by shano1888 View Post
                                                                                                  Im not being funny but how do you know your not just craving fags? I smoked cannabis pretty much every day for 2.5-3.0 years aswell but I stopped (6 years ago) because i had had enough of it; paranoia etc. Im generally not strong willed and i have an addictive personallity but I never once craved it. I found it hard to break away from the scene and routine at first but i def never craved it. i didnt stop smoking fags though. I dont gamble or drink every day, nor even close to every day, but i would have a much harder time kicking those. but everyone is different as you say, i just think that Caf will find this far easier than learning spanish!!
                                                                                                  It's just different strokes for different folks. I know plenty of people who found it easy to give up cigs after decades of smoking and plenty who didn't or couldn't. Just because you found it easy doesn't mean everyone else would. Old habits die hard. The same goes for many vices, over eating, drinking, gambling etc. Some will struggle and fail while some will cruise through and succeed, everyone is different.

I've tried and failed in the past but this time, I'd like to think, is different. I doubt I'll find it hard because it's not just a case of giving up for the sake of giving up, I don't want to smoke it anymore so I won't. I'm fed up of the feeling that goes with it, the highs and lows. I'm not giving up the cigs because I don't want to, that time will come when/if it comes but for now I'm happy to smoke them.

I don't envy FM giving up both at the same time; been there, tried that and here I am! GLGL

Comment

Fair play to her for losing a tonne, whichever way she did it. Some achievement.

Comment

On the butter/oil thing, my brother who's a chef tells me that butter burns at a lower temp than say e v olive oil so I should be using a pinch of oil with the butter when frying. I have found that to be the case occasionally when frying steaks or w/e. Given ghee's higher boiling point, it might be the solution. Should get myself some.

Comment

anything. Just use it in place of oil.

melt ~25g of ghee in a large saucepan.

fistful of brocolli, fistfull of chopped kale and 2 fists of whole leaf spinach.

5/6 minutes in a saucepan with the lid on, agitate by shaking the greens and the butter/ghee all around the pot. Cooked after 5/6 mins or when the spinach has visibly wilted.
                                                                                                        To clarify first, not a joke. Does ghee have a flavour to it when cooking stuff in it?

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                                          By saying 'Gambling/Poker or drink' are you saying gambling and poker is the same thing? I could easily give up gambling and never put another bet on again, but poker for many is a job and it's a way to make money. Some people don't work or have any qualifications and choose poker as an option. 99% probably play it as a hobby or for some pocket money but it's a job to the rest. It's not a case of giving it up. Some people play to try and make money. It's like going out to work for others.

Same with drink. I go weeks and sometimes months without a drink. Think i've had about 10 bottles since i got married in September so could also give that up no problem. If i was playing poker for play money, or if it somehow ended up as just a game where you can never withdraw a cent from it, then i'd never play it again. But, while there's always an option of winning 4, 5 and 6 figure sums every time you enter a tournament then i'll never give it up unless i completely bust myself or if I can't ever see myself being a winner again.
                                                                                                          Sorry, should've specified poker 'as a past-time' rather than a full-time gig - when I think of the average IPBer I think more 'addicted to poker as a form of gambling' rather than 'playing it as a job', as I'm sure the majority of people here don't make meaningful money playing poker! No point giving it up if you're making more than an average annual salary playing, I can really appreciate the freedom playing poker as a career gives a person. I also know that a good few people here play a fair amount of poker without being particularly addicted!

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface View Post
                                                                                                            To clarify first, not a joke. Does ghee have a flavour to it when cooking stuff in it?
                                                                                                            yup, it's like a sweetened butter. It's not a particularly normal flavour though, hard to explain it well. It's not 'buttery' per se, but it's not really not either...

Comment

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post
                                                                                                              It is bullshit yeah.
                                                                                                              something like that. She also told me dont advertise it as not many knew about it lol and no I didnt try it!
                                                                                                              Her sky-ness
                                                                                                              © 5starpool

Comment

weighed myself for the first time in ages, was pleased that I had put on a few pounds.
                                                                                                                Woke up and I had lost three, fml. Still sweating like a cunt some nights I reckon.
                                                                                                                X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                                                Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

something like that. She also told me dont advertise it as not many knew about it lol and no I didnt try it!

"You won't believe this crazy old trick an Irish housewife used to lose 75 lbs. Trainers HATE her!"

"Meet single girls. SHANEEKA is 4 miles away in BALLYHAUNIS"

Comment

did she get it from those "one weird old tip" banner ads? Does she appear on those "45 yo woman reveals weight loss secret:- Doctors hate her" websites?

edit DAMN YOU ZOOROPA!
                                                                                                                    Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

This thread and the associated facebook arguments are worth reading.

tl;dr Neo Nazi fighting at an MMA event in Citywest on 9th Feb.

Comment

Great start to the year . Had a fire in the house on Friday. Luckily enough, the fire itself didnt get to spread beyond the utility room off the kitchen, but the smoke damage throughout the entire house is horrendous.
                                                                                                                        Fireman reckons we'll be out of the house for up to 3 months!! How the fire started is unusual to say the least. My daughter has a load of towels in the dryer, so before going to town, she turns off the dryer, puts the towels in a laundry basket and places the basket on the worktop. Off into town for the afternoon, and 2-3 hours later, the towels and basket burst into flames. Luckily enough, i have the house alarmed and monitored, and the monitoring company rang me to tell me the alarm was going off in the house.

Though I thought it was impossible for a fire to start that way, the fireman tells me its quite common. (something to do with static electricity). Spoke to Patrick o Donoghue (Glen Eagle hotel MD) on Sunday and he told me their laundry in the hotel went up in flames a couple of years ago in the exact same scenario. You'd think with all the warnings about fires in the home thats done on tv commertials, that someone would mention this problem, as I guess most households dont do much different than what we do when the towels come out of the dryer, and hence dont know about this danger?

Next stop the insurance company. Meeting up with their accessor tomorrow I think. That should be fun. Hopefully he/she's a straight up guy/gal. All I want is my home back as it was. Like the smell of smoke in all the wardrobes (well everywhere) is sickening, so obviously all the clothes are unwearable. Does he tell me I have to get them cleaned, or can I tell him that you cant get rid of the small of smoke so i want to fuck them out and replace them? Same with sofa, matrasses etc etc etc

Oh, and one for the techie guys. 3 laptops, 3 tellies, 1 computer and 1 monitor for same, dvd player, play station and a wii. Obviously they suffered the smoke damage as well, but no physical burn damage. Soot that seeps in to the components of these does how much damage? I presume it affects their life length, but by how much? Would I be within my rights to say i want them replaced, or can they tell me to just have them cleaned?

Sorry about the long post, but once I started writing about it, I couldnt stop. feels good to put it on paper! Also, no harm to let other IPB'rs know about the unforseen dangers that lurk out there!!

Bit of a sickener though. Bought the site and built the house 8 years ago, and of course one never thinks this will happen to them. But I do understand it could have been much worse. Coulda happened at night when we were all in bed,(as it took nearly 3 hours between the towels being put in the basket and the alarm going off, so I guess they were just smouldering for that amount of time. Also, luckily, there was no presses over the worktop area where the laundry basket was placed, so there was nothing the flames could grab onto, and I guess thats what stopped the actual fire from spreading. I guess after 7 years, it was time to start thinking about a fresh paint job anyway

Now I must find a place to rent for a few months that has broadband as well. Should keep me busy for a while anyway.

Connie

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                                                                                                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X