This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    Interesting reading some of the stuff on the goalie switch last night. Was it covered (sure it was), that it was a fairly scummy penalty approach with the going up in the penalty takers faces like that, waving at them, touching them, taking ages to get in the goal? It worked, but it looked awful bad form to an outsider.
    Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
    Mind games and intimidation all part of sport imo.

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
    Thought Krul behaved fairly classlessly myself. It might be part of some sports to intimidate people but not all sports, and the penalty shootout has been a fairly respectful affair almost always. Can't imagine Phil Mickelson letting off an air horn as Bubba is about to putt.

Good article here about the unwritten code in baseball: http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10...nwritten-rules

I definitely agree that intimidation and mind games are all part of sport, not sure where the line is though. A few casual fans I know remarked that Krul seemed to act the cunt a bit, so maybe appearing to be a cunt is the price you pay for using mind games.

Not sure if Krul crossed a line. I didn't really like it but wouldn't have said it was a massive deal either way. Hmm, on the fence for the moment on this one.
    Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Originally posted by Jam-Fly View Post
      I wouldn't be a massive drinker so can add that clause no problem. No drink and fast food for 8 weeks I think I should manage handy enough, chocolate and bread based stuff will prove the biggest challenge I reckon.
      Hah, i'd prefer it if you were on the booze, more likely to go over in that case!
      ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

trying to put the peno taker off is so ridiculously standard it doesnt even bear talking about

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
            Hah, i'd prefer it if you were on the booze, more likely to go over in that case!
            lol alright, I'll be allowed drink for the duration, but I'm planning on not exercising the option. That said, World Cup final night could be difficult to abstain.

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
            I just don't know enough about it - have seen about six games in total since Italia 90, of which 4 were in last three days. Did seem fairly bad form though. Actually I thought it was pure scumbaggery. Obviously still jumped to the roof with applause when Holland won with my equally disgusted pal due to not wanting to be a victim of mob violence
            Yeah, like you wouldn't see anything like that at the Wimbledon final today, or in a golf tournament etc. But as far as sports go, unfortunately, soccer is fairly low on the sportsmanship pecking order. Trying to get opposition sportsmen sent off/in trouble would be unheard of in other sports too, but it's standard in soccer. It might be a case of 'don't hate the playa, hate the game'. That said, maybe it's time to ensure Krul's antics don't become the standard (e.g. diving has gotten to the point where if you DON'T dive, you're foregoing an option other teams use, thus putting your team at a disadvantage. I wouldn't like to see that happen with antics during penalty shootouts).
            Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

I want to get rid of all tracking cookies, IESnare, etc from an old laptop. Is the easiest way just to format the harddrive and reinstall windows?

Comment

WC V GAA ladies

Her sky-ness
                © 5starpool

Comment

Has to an element of 'aw, the poor lickle underdog' in any of todays strange criticism of Krul.
                  Like if he did it to German penalty takers causing them to miss a couple then I can't see there being any criticism at all, instead the Germans would be lambasted for not being able to take it. Doing it to the Argentinians next Wednesday would be fun also, could see Masch getting sent off during the shootout if it happened.

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                    I want to get rid of all tracking cookies, IESnare, etc from an old laptop. Is the easiest way just to format the harddrive and reinstall windows?
                    You could just create a new admin account and nuke the old user profile but I've no idea how much iesnare is embedded in a PC. Obviously a reinstall is the next step.

Comment

Intimidation is a massive part of cricket, and is usually far more vicious than what we saw last night. And yet cricket is considered one of the most gentlemanly of sports.

Really struggling to see the issue here, goalkeepers have always tried to gain an edge in shootouts, famously Grobbelaar and Dudek on the biggest stage of all, and they were lauded as heroes for their actions due to the favourable slant in which the British/Irish media covered them. At the end of the day a shootout is the ultimate test of a players balls under the greatest of pressure and I'm all for a bit of gamesmanship to further test a players bottle.

Terms like scummy ect being banded about speaks more of people's personal agendas with football more than anything and see this as another chance to get another cringeworthy dig in.
                      Profit before people.

Comment

Surely there is a difference between doing silly things standing on your line and going up shouting in a guys face as he's placing the ball though? There's definitely an increasing amount of reasons to dislike this Holland team imo.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianN View Post
                          Surely there is a difference between doing silly things standing on your line and going up shouting in a guys face as he's placing the ball though? There's definitely an increasing amount of reasons to dislike this Holland team imo.
                          Yeah that's what I'm not sure about, where's the line. If Krul was slagging the Costa Rican players mothers as they were placing the ball, is that out of line?
                          Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

FAO Lazare:

Dear Whiny Bitches, How’ve you been? I am good. Let’s talk about that recent survey. You know the one? Recently something called the Good Country Index released a survey stating …
                            "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

The problem with mens tennis in that time is that only 4 out of the last 43 slams have been won by anyone other than the current top 4, they've been that good. It'll be interesting to see if in 10 years time there is a similar level of dominance by another group of players or if it'll be more spread out.
                              Very good point and it shows why poker can never be seen as a game of skill
                              As there hasn't been the same dominance by the top players of poker
                              As there has been of tennis
                              I mean if you were to put NADAL IN a tennis tournamnent with 1000 other amateur tennis enthusiasts he would be like over 1/10 to at least make the semi final
                              But if you put say Phil IVEY IN a poker tournamnent with 1000 other amateur poker enthusiasts it would be highly likely he would not even make the top 32
                              That's because poker is not based on skill
                              It's based on luck or if your uncomfortable with the term luck than variance
                              People who think poker Is a skill game are suckers IMO
                              But then again if it was a skill. Game like chess you wouldn't have idiots like me paying into the system thinking they have a chance

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                                You could just create a new admin account and nuke the old user profile but I've no idea how much iesnare is embedded in a PC. Obviously a reinstall is the next step.
                                Yup that's what has me worried I've no idea how deep it goes. Think I'll just format it entirely. Thanks

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Not sure if anyone remembers it, but in the U21 European Championships one year, Joe Hart started acting the maggot on the goal-line in the shootout. There was a bit of a back story to add to it as England had lost 14-13 on penalties the year before against the Dutch in the semi final. They got to the semis again in this competition, and again it went to penalties. Joe Hart stepped up to take one of the penalties and slotted it. He went back in goals then for the next kick and started making faces and trying to put his opponent off. The ref gave him a warning and told him not to do it again. Hart did the same thing for the next penalty and the ref booked him. He was already on a yellow card, so it meant he was suspended for the final.

It's kind of an irrelevant story to Tim Krul, but it does show what a fuckin eejit Joe Hart is.
                                    Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Originally posted by Gerry Feely View Post
                                      The problem with mens tennis in that time is that only 4 out of the last 43 slams have been won by anyone other than the current top 4, they've been that good. It'll be interesting to see if in 10 years time there is a similar level of dominance by another group of players or if it'll be more spread out.
                                      I mean if you were to put NADAL IN a tennis tournamnent with 1000 other amateur tennis enthusiasts he would be like over 1/10 to at least make the semi final
                                      But if you put say Phil IVEY IN a poker tournamnent with 1000 other amateur poker enthusiasts it would be highly likely he would not even make the top 32
                                      But then again if it was a skill. Game like chess you wouldn't have idiots like me paying into the system thinking they have a chance
                                      So there's more variance in poker than tennis? Thanks.

Comment

Have you ever played on luckyacepoker? I heard that's full of complete donks.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                          So there's more variance in poker than tennis? Thanks.
                                          My point is that some people hold poker up as a game of skill
                                          I mean the wsop is broadcast like poker is a sport
                                          When really it's gambling
                                          We are watching people gamble
                                          Very little skill involved in poker from what I've seen online and live
                                          And to me that's not necessarily a problem
                                          I just think that in the past I was conned into thinking poker is
                                          A skill game a strategy game very similar to chess
                                          I was attracted to the game based on the belief if you have skill and you study the game you ll succeed
                                          That may hold be true of skill games like tennis or chess
                                          Not poker

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                            Yup that's what has me worried I've no idea how deep it goes. Think I'll just format it entirely. Thanks
                                            You could try this guide. I've only skimmed it but it seems fairly comprehensive.

User 'Micro Rec Player' posted this in a UB Scandal thread and I just wanted to run it by all of you computer gurus to get your opinion on re

Comment

Any BBVers want to do me a favour and take a diet/under calories bet from me?

Been back in the gym about 6 weeks but still have some bad habits with diet so want some extra motivation and accountability. The terms would be something like:

- Gentlemen's bet, so you'll have to trust my word
                                              - Bet will be from Mon Jul 7th to Mon Sept 1st
                                              - Odds will be 5-1 in your favour (so if I win, you give me $10, if I lose, I give you $50)
                                              - Calorie line is 2000.
                                              So if I go over 2000 calories in any one day, I lose the bet. That's just calories consumed btw, regardless of calories I burn (so it doesn't matter if I burn 5000 calories in a day, I still can't consume more than 2000 calories).
                                              - I'm aiming for 1800 calories per day, so hopefully there won't any close calls where the number of calories in a certain food isn't clear. First option will be the calories listed on the packaging of the food. In the likely case this isn't stated, this site can be used to determine number of calories in the food: http://www.calorieking.com/foods/
                                              - You can win multiple days for the duration of the bet.
                                              So if I go over one day, I lose, but the bet still continues and if I go over the 2000 calories another day, I lose the same amount again (I'll limit this to a maximum of 5 days though!). So basically, if you wager $10, and on 5 separate days, I go over the limit of 2000 calories, I owe you $250. If I go over the limit on one day, I owe you $50. If I do not go over the limit on any day, you owe me $10. If I go over the limit on seventeen days, I owe you $250.

I wasn't planning on posting what I eat every day, but if people prefer that way, I can. I was just planning on saying if I went over on any given day and paying up.

Not looking for big money bets as the aim isn't to win money, it's just to give me some more motivation and accountability as I've mentioned. So, anyone fancy taking this bet for $10-$20ish?
                                              ...I'll take the bet if you like...say 20euro???...
                                              ...Liam...

Comment

My point is that some people hold poker up as a game of skill
                                                I mean the wsop is broadcast like poker is a sport
                                                When really it's gambling

We are watching people gamble
                                                Very little skill involved in poker from what I've seen online and live
                                                And to me that's not necessarily a problem

I just think that in the past I was conned into thinking poker is
                                                A skill game a strategy game very similar to chess
                                                I was attracted to the game based on the belief if you have skill and you study the game you ll succeed

That may hold be true of skill games like tennis or chess
                                                Not poker
                                                Where's wombatman when you need him?

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
                                                  ...I'll take the bet if you like...say 20euro???...
                                                  ...Liam...
                                                  that's perfect, sound. I assume you're aware and happy to take my word on things and it will just be a case of trusting that I'll be honorable/truthful etc?
                                                  Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Just watched 'The Two Escobars'. Excellent viewing.

Comment

that's perfect, sound. I assume you're aware and happy to take my word on things and it will just be a case of trusting that I'll be honorable/truthful etc?
                                                      ...to be honest I was expecting to stalk you and check your shite for weight purposes, but ok trust it is...would you like to pm your details and I'll transfer the 20 to you...

Comment

...to be honest I was expecting to stalk you and check your shite for weight purposes, but ok trust it is...would you like to pm your details and I'll transfer the 20 to you...
                                                        Booked!

Ah you're grand, we can settle up 1st September if that suits u?
                                                        Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Not sure if anyone remembers it, but in the U21 European Championships one year, Joe Hart started acting the maggot on the goal-line in the shootout. There was a bit of a back story to add to it as England had lost 14-13 on penalties the year before against the Dutch in the semi final. They got to the semis again in this competition, and again it went to penalties. Joe Hart stepped up to take one of the penalties and slotted it. He went back in goals then for the next kick and started making faces and trying to put his opponent off. The ref gave him a warning and told him not to do it again. Hart did the same thing for the next penalty and the ref booked him. He was already on a yellow card, so it meant he was suspended for the final.

It's kind of an irrelevant story to Tim Krul, but it does show what a fuckin eejit Joe Hart is.
                                                          A yellow for making faces? Shows what an eejit the ref is.
                                                          airport, lol

Comment

MOAR UFC.

Comment

Have you a history of bad mental health?

Comment

On fumes in this football fever tournament 17 of 17! Need a good rail to run good....

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                  A yellow for making faces? Shows what an eejit the ref is.
                                                                  Ah if you're warned once, and you know that a yellow card will mean you're suspended for the final, you do what you're told.
                                                                  Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Stress gone in 13th JJ no good v aj all in pre! 6.4k softens the blow....

Comment

Booked!

Ah you're grand, we can settle up 1st September if that suits u?
                                                                      ...fresh tea bags ordered for September 1st then...

Comment

...fresh tea bags ordered for September 1st then...
                                                                        ...why...

Comment

hi gerry
                                                                          chd, that's not nice
                                                                          X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                          Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                                                            Have you a history of bad mental health?
                                                                            Why can't you answer my points intelligibly
                                                                            Instead of making slanderous accusations
                                                                            It's posts like that are the reason I'm in the process of leaving this forum
                                                                            If where gonna have a decent debate on here then keep the stupid slander out of it
                                                                            Just a suggestion
                                                                            As a relativity new contributor on here I feel I deserve that
                                                                            And if the moderators want to get involved
                                                                            There really is no point I'm leaving anyway

Comment

If where gonna have a decent debate on here then keep the stupid slander out of it
                                                                              Just a suggestion
                                                                              This is why I ask Gerry.

Just a suggestion

Comment

Off the drink 3 weeks. Went to watch Wicklow v Sligo in the most putrid game of football that was ever played. Only home now. Pissed. good night one and all.
                                                                                Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Comment

Just a suggestion
                                                                                  Stay and have the bant Gerry. For example, what did you have for tea?
                                                                                  X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                  Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                                                                    ...why...
                                                                                    ...I'm addicted to drinking tea...so I like to order extra tea bags just incase...

Comment

So I'm in Vegas, last minute decision to book it Friday and flew out Sunday morning.

Attached Files
                                                                                      "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

If where we're gonna have a decent debate on here then keep the stupid slander out of it
                                                                                        Just a suggestion
                                                                                        It's the only way you'll learn Gerry.
                                                                                        Last edited by eamonhonda; 07-07-14, 08:23.
                                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                                                          So I'm in Vegas, last minute decision to book it Friday and flew out Sunday morning.

Selling any action for Main Event?

Comment

Re Penalties

didnt hear too many people complaining when Sylester Stallone did it in Escape to Victory !!

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                                                              Can I ask how you stumbled on this?

Comment

Anybody got any Dubrovnik Hotel suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by Megatron View Post
                                                                                                  Anybody got any Dubrovnik Hotel suggestions?
                                                                                                  If you want to splash out , this is fab. Nadia stayed here when we went for her wedding.

Discover the 5 star beachfront Hotel Dubrovnik Palace with Adriatic Sea views and a contemporary interior design scheme, a winner of numerous travel awards.

other than that we stayed in an apartment for small money, no pool though

make sure and visit here to sunbathe and chill out, its fab!

Last edited by SatNav; 07-07-14, 09:30.
                                                                                                  Her sky-ness
                                                                                                  © 5starpool

Comment

new landlord wanted to go from 700 - 850 so I was gonna move.

Now they want 750. Is it worth the hassle to move oh man. I hate doing stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

Depends where you are Renting. Rents in city centre are nuts atm
                                                                                                      His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

15 mins walk to O'Connell street. Suppose that's damn handy so should factor in.
                                                                                                        I may get a nicer place for the money but laziness + location = good times too.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                          Can people let me know where their favourite place for food is which is a cafe setting - so breakfast, brunch, lunch type place that would have pretty much the same menu available from the time it opens to the time it closes?
                                                                                                          SPOILER
                                                                                                          Her sky-ness
                                                                                                          © 5starpool

Comment

Can people let me know where their favourite place for food is which is a cafe setting - so breakfast, brunch, lunch type place that would have pretty much the same menu available from the time it opens to the time it closes?
                                                                                                            I guess this place doesn't count http://odessa.ie/menu/
                                                                                                            Will have a think.

Comment

Got myself screwed by a downloaded e-book last night.
                                                                                                              I was reading a copy of an excellent book that I was really enjoying (Jim Crace's Quarantine, I'll stick a review up in the book thread later) The copy was a little bit dodgy in that it was from a scan so there were a few of the usual things like rn appearing as m and the format showing page numbers being a bit off etc.
                                                                                                              Aldiko the reader I use was showing it as being about 400 e pages long and so at about 2 o'clock this morning I reach page 200 and the book is reaching what is going to be a huge shift in its setting and tone there is a very odd paragraph, that didn't seem to make sense, flick on to the next page and find I'm at the start of the book again.
                                                                                                              I scroll through and the next 200 e pages are just a repeat of everything I've already read. FFS! the copy is obviously screwed, the book is clearly in two parts I thought about going to sleep, I'm up in 5 hours but how I can I sleep now? so I go online and buy a copy.

Scroll through to where I was and yep you guessed it The End, Sigh!

Was happy to buy a copy to support the author but I these days I mostly only to buy print copies so I can give them away.
                                                                                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Is this nationwide or just Dublin based?

Comment

don't move. €600 pa extra is far cheaper than the hassle of moving.

Didn't you get a monster pay rise? You're grand sure!

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                                    don't move. €600 pa extra is far cheaper than the hassle of moving.

Didn't you get a monster pay rise? You're grand sure!
                                                                                                                    True enough, and having cats makes it a pain in the ass in general. Money has nearly doubled in a year, yet i'm completely poor (still support ex), go figure. I suppose I'll do a few token viewings and stay where I am

Comment

Cafe Hans in Cashel is the best place in the country for this sort of thing without any doubt whatsoever. I challenge anyone to name a better example. It is utterly exceptional in every respect.
                                                                                                                      You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                                      World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

True enough, and having cats makes it a pain in the ass in general. Money has nearly doubled in a year, yet i'm completely poor (still support ex), go figure. I suppose I'll do a few token viewings and stay where I am
                                                                                                                        Ah heyor.
                                                                                                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X