Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strimmer advice: Get a 2-stroke one with no wheels.

Wheels? Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Morihei View Post
      Strimmer advice: Get a 2-stroke one with no wheels.

Wheels? Lol
      The wheels have something to do with edging! forward to 4:15

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkaxljFQyAQ#t=74
      Her sky-ness
      © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
        Cheers, keep an eye out for it's arrival.
        I like to bring the teenage niblings to DisneyEire as a treat, with added bonus of annual climb of Bray Mountain.
        I think they've a website. There's a big waterslide down Bray head too. You have to apply in advance. Give that a look.

Comment

lolCork. GTFO. Up the kingdom!

Comment

Surely Federer strays away from his missus with super regularity.
            Profit before people.

Comment

You get the feeling Roger must win this set or it's over.

Also he's probably like Tiger Woods, knocking off half the world

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                Surely Federer strays away from his missus with super regularity.
                No, he's perfect. I don't know why this get's said so often, it's not like Mirka is ugly anyway. Enough of this rubbish.

Comment

Celeb gossip belongs in wimminz magazines.

Comment

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post
                    No, he's perfect. I don't know why this get's said so often, it's not like Mirka is ugly anyway. Enough of this rubbish.
                    She's prob the most average WAG of any high profile sports star.

This one's over anyway. GG Fed.
                    Profit before people.

Comment

No way, I reckon he practices his backhand slices on her head behind closed doors, nobody is that clean

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                        She's prob the most average WAG of any high profile sports star.

This one's over anyway. GG Fed.
                        Lol

Comment

Lol
                          Lol

Comment

Unreal tennis

Comment

His Swissness and suaveness hide the fact that Federer's a fcking warrior. Some match.

Comment

At this point its ok to use the word Epic!
                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Mitty View Post
                                  Lol
                                  Lol

Comment

I'd say Cardshark cracked a few out watching Fed in the last couple of games

Only prolonging the inevitable here.
                                    Profit before people.

Comment

Fair play to Chokervitch. Made a game of it now.

Comment

Have djokovic backed but can't help cheer on federer. Two superstars

Comment

Line judges have disgraced themselves today.
                                          Profit before people.

Comment

What a game

Comment

How long did that final last? 3hr 57 mins was it?

Comment

Yep... 3.57
                                                I even rewound the Sky plus to check for you.

Comment

Tennis yet again delivering. The last 10 years have been the pinnacle of sporting entertainment. Nothing else comes close. Heart still pounding after that. Wow.

Lloyd probably disliked it because it was predictably epic and would have preferred a Raonic vs Isner final.

Comment

Dublin supremecy?

Comment

Tennis yet again delivering. The last 10 years have been the pinnacle of sporting entertainment. Nothing else comes close. Heart still pounding after that. Wow.

Lloyd probably disliked it because it was predictably epic and would have preferred a Raonic vs Isner final.
                                                      The problem with mens tennis in that time is that only 4 out of the last 43 slams have been won by anyone other than the current top 4, they've been that good. It'll be interesting to see if in 10 years time there is a similar level of dominance by another group of players or if it'll be more spread out.

Comment

Any interest in a main event last longest?

Say €20 a pick starting on day 2, will start a thread if enough interest

Start one anyway people don't come in here

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post

'Borderline retarded' is what you're going with here? I was watching the match with a full time football coach and he reckoned it was a precedent setting move if nothing else. It is common sense to do it, but it hasn't been done before at the very top level.

EDIT: Good shout elshambles, should have been fairly commonplace before now I suppose.

(btw Lloyd, most of below isn't directly aimed at your post, it's just a general response to a lot of the match reaction I've seen)

It has some positives, and fwiw, I loved it, but these people saying it's so courageous and tactically genius are not correct.

As a spectacle, and for the pantomime and Hollywood-ness of it, it was epic. For the tactical astuteness and percentage difference it actually made to the end result, it was average at best.

Compare LVG's move to some other managerial masterclasses:
                                                          - Mourinho this season vs Liverpool and City
                                                          - Rafa Benitez at half time vs Milan in Istanbul
                                                          - Jupp Heynckes when Bayern hammered Barca
                                                          - Louis Van Gaal versus Spain in the group stages
                                                          etc

The calls made by managers in the above games surely qualify as being more genius than bringing Krul on in the 119th minute?

Like I'm not arguing it wasn't +EV what he did, but for it to be seen as one of the great managerial decisions of all time really is absolutely moronic.

Calling it courageous is insane. There was basically no downside for LVG. If Holland go through, he's a genius for bringing on Krul. If they go out, does everyone blame LVG solely for losing the World Cup? No they don't. At worst there's some bad cases of what-ifs and LVG gets blasted for letting it go to penalties in the first place - but no one would think the sole reason for Holland's elimination was LVG bringing on Krul. But now that they've gone through, all the headlines suggest that LVG bringing on Krul is the sole reason for Holland progressing. The risk-reward of the decision was so ridiculously in LVG's favour you can't argue it was 'courageous'.

It was a great piece of entertainment, but lets not lose sight of what it was. It was a slightly attention whorish move that had some psychological benefits but largely doesn't affect the outcome of the game (as poker players we know not to be results oriented).

It's worth saying, that for LVG himself, the move was massively +EV. So if you want to argue it was a genius move by LVG for LVG, I'll buy that. He's increased his own reputation to no end, so he deserves credit for that. But again, giving him credit for enhancing his own reputation doesn't fall within the realm of tactical genius.

For the 'setting the standard' stuff, again, meh. If you happened to get to the 119th minute with a sub left to use, and it just so happens your sub keeper is better than your starting keeper at saving penalties, by all means bring him on.

However, it's unlikely you'll get to this point, and if you do, there's a good chance you missed a more +EV option earlier in the game: I'd say in less than 20% of teams (professional and amatuer), the sub keeper is a better peno stopper than the starting keeper. Add to this, most managers won't sub their keeper in this spot for morale reasons anyway (this does play into the Van Gaal image he wants to portray that he has big balls and doesn't care about any one player). Then finally, it's very rare for it to be +EV to reach a situation where you are in the 119th minute with a sub left to use. There are very few cases where it won't have been better to have used this third sub as an outfield sub.

So basically, sure it's a nice move to have in your back pocket, but
                                                          1) Circumstances will rarely dictate that it is in fact the correct move to make
                                                          2) Even when these circumstances arrive, the percentage difference that you make in the outcome of the game by making this move will be very small (I'd argue an average run-of-the-mill sub in the 68th minute would effect the game more)

If Krul stepped up to take the first penalty, now that would've been genius
                                                          Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Lazar Markovic to Liverpool looks a done deal at €25m. Burning through the Suarez money. Anyone know much about him? Worth the money?

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                              Lazar Markovic to Liverpool looks a done deal at €25m. Burning through the Suarez money. Anyone know much about him? Worth the money?

Opr
                                                              Sanchez rejected yous?

Does that mean the Suarez price will increase?

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                                                Sanchez rejected yous?

Does that mean the Suarez price will increase?
                                                                No idea, read that he prefers Arsenal. Markovic has been on the radar since the start of the summer so I'd say any deal for him is independent of Sanchez. I still expect a big name replacement for Suarez to be signed regardless of Markovic deal. Budget was apparently £60m this summer. So it should be £60m+Suarez money. Price for Suarez I believe is fixed at whatever the buyout clause is reported to be between £70-80m.

Opr

Comment

Torres for a couple of million interest yous?

Comment

Tim Vickery with an excellent piece on Brazil's just desserts.

Opr

Comment

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

lol

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                        The problem with mens tennis in that time is that only 4 out of the last 43 slams have been won by anyone other than the current top 4, they've been that good. It'll be interesting to see if in 10 years time there is a similar level of dominance by another group of players or if it'll be more spread out.
                                                                        I'm not sure how that's a problem. The standard has been so high between these 4 that I don't see it as a problem. I would consider it very very fortunate to have a collection of great players who show consistency which has pretty much never been seen before in sporting history(well tennis history at least).
                                                                        What makes it all the more amazing is that the players just below are players of incredible talent and ability.
                                                                        The number of matches the the big 3(not even including Murray here) have played in recent memory which go down as all time great matches is just unbelievable. There have been great rivalries in the past, but I think what we have seen over the past 10 years is something we may never see again.

Tennis

Comment

I'm not sure how that's a problem. The standard has been so high between these 4 that I don't see it as a problem. I would consider it very very fortunate to have a collection of great players who show consistency which has pretty much never been seen before in sporting history(well tennis history at least).
                                                                          What makes it all the more amazing is that the players just below are players of incredible talent and ability.
                                                                          The number of matches the the big 3(not even including Murray here) have played in recent memory which go down as all time great matches is just unbelievable. There have been great rivalries in the past, but I think what we have seen over the past 10 years is something we may never see again.

Tennis
                                                                          More of a chance that this is becoming the standard at the top and this is how tennis will be for the foreseeable future no?

In individual sport that is how it goes isn't it. Should stay this way and only get better with time.

I'm presuming there is plenty of young talent.

Comment

Deja vu as I think we had this conversation 12 months ago, but the problem many of us have with The Big 4 in tennis is related to the changes that were made to tennis courts and tennis balls over the last decade.

In order to make the game more of a spectacle, changes were made that basically eliminated certain skill sets and dramatically narrowed the differences between the various surfaces.
                                                                            So whereas previously it took a remarkable player(s) to consistently get to the business end of all the majors, the changes made it more likely. So we don't really know if the Big 4 would have been done what they did if it wasn't for these changes.
                                                                            Its kinda of a shame as tennis was fairly unique in sport in having major competitions played under such startlingly different conditions, so personally I think its a pity. Though no-one can deny the brilliant games it has led to.

I suppose an equivalent would be if golf moved the British Open and US Open to pretty inland park courses set up as soft Par72s. If 4 or 5 players then divided the majors between them for the next decade would it be because of these players unprecedented brilliance or because of the reduction of difference in playing conditions.

Comment

Question... hope there is no match on lol

I received another email re the newspaper job, based on info in email would ye think it looks good.

I have had an interview obv already , in the email a meeting is mentioned. Wish Tues would hurry up! Dont think I have ever wanted a job as badly

Hi Michelle

Would it be possible to re-arrange our meeting to Tuesday morning instead of Weds? I've had a meeting scheduled now for Weds morning in Naas.
                                                                              I can do anytime that suits you on Tues as I will be in Portlaoise all day. If Tues no good, then we can re-arrange to suit, or my colleague may go ahead and meet you on Weds anyway even if I cannot be there.

Apologies for any inconvenience.

Regards
                                                                              Her sky-ness
                                                                              © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post

Opr

£25m according to the Telegraph. Never even heard of him myself. huge money for a 20 year old.

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle SatNav View Post

I received another email re the newspaper job, based on info in email would ye think it looks good.

I have had an interview obv already , in the email a meeting is mentioned. Wish Tues would hurry up! Dont think I have ever wanted a job as badly

Hi Michelle

Would it be possible to re-arrange our meeting to Tuesday morning instead of Weds? I've had a meeting scheduled now for Weds morning in Naas.
                                                                                  I can do anytime that suits you on Tues as I will be in Portlaoise all day. If Tues no good, then we can re-arrange to suit, or my colleague may go ahead and meet you on Weds anyway even if I cannot be there.

Regards
                                                                                  Looks good to me, just make sure he knows you are not the job hopper type that will go at the next offer.

Good luck Tuesday

Comment

Obv looks good. Did you ever get your money from the last crowd?

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                                      Looks good to me, just make sure he knows you are not the job hopper type that will go at the next offer.

Good luck Tuesday
                                                                                      its a she unfortunately lol

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                                                                                      Obv looks good. Did you ever get your money from the last crowd?
                                                                                      i am still working away , got 3 weeks fuel paid to me after I threatened to walk. My colleague received nothing and is there longer , oh theres more but I will save that for another day. Biding my time here.

i am convinced I have the other job and will be bitterly disappointed if I dont get it
                                                                                      Her sky-ness
                                                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

Hi Michelle

Regards
                                                                                        Don't see a question there...
                                                                                        No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                                          Don't see a question there...
                                                                                          question is based on the email , would you think it looks good that I get the job!
                                                                                          Her sky-ness
                                                                                          © 5starpool

Comment

question is based on the email , would you think it looks good that I get the job!
                                                                                            Thought you had a job no?
                                                                                            No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                                                                              More of a chance that this is becoming the standard at the top and this is how tennis will be for the foreseeable future no?

In individual sport that is how it goes isn't it. Should stay this way and only get better with time.

I'm presuming there is plenty of young talent.
                                                                                              It remains to be seen whether we'll see the likes of this again. Players like Dimitrov have the potential to become dominant but I still think having 4 players develop such long and epic rivalries combined with the consistency seems unlikely to me. We've seen great rivalries before obviously, but with this level of play over such a long period, I don't think so.

Comment

Stumbled across this guy today, surprised I hadn't heard of him before. The album this is from is superb

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                                                  Thought you had a job no?
                                                                                                  Yeah at the time I had applied for 2, one with phonewatch and the other with Iconic newspapers. The newspaper one came to a halt and was held off . In the meantime I got the phonewatch one and the other crowd have got back in contact to see them. I had always wanted the newspaper job as its seems right up my street.
                                                                                                  Her sky-ness
                                                                                                  © 5starpool

Comment

What is the newspaper job?

Comment

Yeah at the time I had applied for 2, one with phonewatch and the other with Iconic newspapers. The newspaper one came to a halt and was held off . In the meantime I got the phonewatch one and the other crowd have got back in contact to see them. I had always wanted the newspaper job as its seems right up my street.
                                                                                                      Ah, get you. I wouldnt count my chickens just yet based on email, as it is just an interview not a contract. Best of luck though...

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                        What is the newspaper job?
                                                                                                        Advertising Sales Executive. I would like to be able to say that to new people that I meet in the future when they ask what I do has a lovely ring to it. But going by the interview I think the job actually involves alot more as in being creative and bringing new ideas.

Advertising Sales Executives - Attractive salary package
                                                                                                        Company: Iconic Newspapers
                                                                                                        Location: Portlaoise, Laois
                                                                                                        Date Posted: May 23, 2014
                                                                                                        If you're a bright and ambitious salesperson, looking to develop your career in a fast-moving, creative and highly rewarding sector, the role of Advertising Field Sales Executive with Iconic Newspapers could provide the perfect opportunity. We are Ireland’s largest independently owned newspaper group, with an unrivalled audience across both print and online. Our portfolio includes such market-leading titles as the Limerick Leader, the Kilkenny People and the Leinster Leader. As part of the group’s development strategy for 2014, we are now seeking applications to join our growing Sales Team
                                                                                                        Last edited by SatNav; 06-07-14, 20:19.
                                                                                                        Her sky-ness
                                                                                                        © 5starpool

Comment

Phone based job then?

You certainly seem to enjoy and thrive in face-to-face sales.

Best of luck with it.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                            Phone based job then?

You certainly seem to enjoy and thrive in face-to-face sales.

Best of luck with it.
                                                                                                            no not phone, out and about I think. Jesus I have to meet people face to face
                                                                                                            Her sky-ness
                                                                                                            © 5starpool

Comment

...
                                                                                                              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                                Interesting reading some of the stuff on the goalie switch last night. Was it covered (sure it was), that it was a fairly scummy penalty approach with the going up in the penalty takers faces like that, waving at them, touching them, taking ages to get in the goal? It worked, but it looked awful bad form to an outsider.
                                                                                                                Fuck them if they can't take a joke.
                                                                                                                airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                                  Interesting reading some of the stuff on the goalie switch last night. Was it covered (sure it was), that it was a fairly scummy penalty approach with the going up in the penalty takers faces like that, waving at them, touching them, taking ages to get in the goal? It worked, but it looked awful bad form to an outsider.
                                                                                                                  Mind games and intimidation all part of sport imo.
                                                                                                                  "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Any BBVers want to do me a favour and take a diet/under calories bet from me?

Been back in the gym about 6 weeks but still have some bad habits with diet so want some extra motivation and accountability. The terms would be something like:

- Gentlemen's bet, so you'll have to trust my word
                                                                                                                    - Bet will be from Mon Jul 7th to Mon Sept 1st
                                                                                                                    - Odds will be 5-1 in your favour (so if I win, you give me $10, if I lose, I give you $50)
                                                                                                                    - Calorie line is 2000.
                                                                                                                    So if I go over 2000 calories in any one day, I lose the bet. That's just calories consumed btw, regardless of calories I burn (so it doesn't matter if I burn 5000 calories in a day, I still can't consume more than 2000 calories).
                                                                                                                    - I'm aiming for 1800 calories per day, so hopefully there won't any close calls where the number of calories in a certain food isn't clear. First option will be the calories listed on the packaging of the food. In the likely case this isn't stated, this site can be used to determine number of calories in the food: http://www.calorieking.com/foods/
                                                                                                                    - You can win multiple days for the duration of the bet.
                                                                                                                    So if I go over one day, I lose, but the bet still continues and if I go over the 2000 calories another day, I lose the same amount again (I'll limit this to a maximum of 5 days though!). So basically, if you wager $10, and on 5 separate days, I go over the limit of 2000 calories, I owe you $250. If I go over the limit on one day, I owe you $50. If I do not go over the limit on any day, you owe me $10. If I go over the limit on seventeen days, I owe you $250.

I wasn't planning on posting what I eat every day, but if people prefer that way, I can. I was just planning on saying if I went over on any given day and paying up.

Not looking for big money bets as the aim isn't to win money, it's just to give me some more motivation and accountability as I've mentioned. So, anyone fancy taking this bet for $10-$20ish?
                                                                                                                    Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Will you be off the beer for the duration?
                                                                                                                      ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Thought Krul behaved fairly classlessly myself. It might be part of some sports to intimidate people but not all sports, and the penalty shootout has been a fairly respectful affair almost always. Can't imagine Phil Mickelson letting off an air horn as Bubba is about to putt.

Good article here about the unwritten code in baseball: http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10...nwritten-rules

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                                                                                                          Will you be off the beer for the duration?
                                                                                                                          I wouldn't be a massive drinker so can add that clause no problem. No drink and fast food for 8 weeks I think I should manage handy enough, chocolate and bread based stuff will prove the biggest challenge I reckon.
                                                                                                                          Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X