This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    Reddit thread on Roma scams. One particularly impressive scam is that they hand you a baby and then whilst you're holding it they openly pick your pockets as both of your hands are taken with the baby. What do you even do in that event? You can't drop the baby, as much as you'd be tempted to.
    Throw the baby high and straight in the air and walk away.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
      Strewelpeter the second, arise.
      I dare anyone deal with the passport office in any way that varies ever so slightly from their proscribed procedure and not come away on life tilt. The office is totally dysfunctional, on the one hand you have lazy superannuated unionised dossers who feed off their pathological hatred of the general public and a on the other an incompetent management and utterly useless CEO who bend over backwards to please the unions.
      Their recent streamlining procedures were claimed to have reduced queuing times to zero, well done you'd think but the truth is they did that by in effect closing down the public office and only allowing people in to the remaining two windows by appointment. Appointments are available in a 3 to 5 days in case of emergency

There is a new privately run driving license procedure in place, absolute piece of piss, almost a pleasure to deal with. Fire every one of the useless cunts in the passport office from top to bottom and tender the work out, Just like the driving licenses where Dept of transport in Shannon actually approve the issuing of licenses Foreign Affairs can keep control of the tiny but essential little bit of the process it is necessary for them to have.
      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
          I dare anyone deal with the passport office in any way that varies ever so slightly from their proscribed procedure and not come away on life tilt. The office is totally dysfunctional, on the one hand you have lazy superannuated unionised dossers who feed off their pathological hatred of the general public and a on the other an incompetent management and utterly useless CEO who bend over backwards to please the unions.
          Their recent streamlining procedures were claimed to have reduced queuing times to zero, well done you'd think but the truth is they did that by in effect closing down the public office and only allowing people in to the remaining two windows by appointment. Appointments are available in a 3 to 5 days in case of emergency
          Ah go on, tell us how you really feel.

Comment

One person was saying they actually throw the baby at you!
            Were they on Joe Duffy?
            X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
            Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
              Wow passport renewal is a tiltingly stoneage process. When you've to go to 3/4 different places to complete a simple form you know they're doing it wrong.
              Did you lose your old paasport?

Comment

I love milk. its never been better

Comment

Originally posted by The-Rigger View Post
                  I love milk. its never been better
                  What is for breakfast?

Comment

Originally posted by The-Rigger View Post
                    Did you lose your old paasport?
                    Nah its just badly torn and garda at airport last time I flew said a lot would turn you away for a passport in that state. It expires next year so needs to be renewed anyway.
                    Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

There is a new privately run driving license procedure in place, absolute piece of piss, almost a pleasure to deal with. Fire every one of the useless cunts in the passport office from top to bottom and tender the work out, Just like the driving licenses where Dept of transport in Shannon actually approve the issuing of licenses Foreign Affairs can keep control of the tiny but essential little bit of the process it is necessary for them to have.
                      I'm surprised someone in your company hasn't cosied up up to the local TD to get the use of the fast-track box in Leinster House.
                      Last edited by Denny Crane; 03-06-14, 12:47.

Comment

GOT

SPOILER
                        Holy Jaysus what an ending!! I clicked into Kev's head asplode post by mistake yesterday, so I was expecting a Red Wedding style finish with the Lannisters getting slaughtered including Tyrion. Wasn't expecting what happened. Unreal scene.
                        How many eps are left?
                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                            GOT

SPOILER
                            Holy Jaysus what an ending!! I clicked into Kev's head asplode post by mistake yesterday, so I was expecting a Red Wedding style finish with the Lannisters getting slaughtered including Tyrion. Wasn't expecting what happened. Unreal scene.
                            How many eps are left?
                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

GoT

SPOILER
                              Any other show and Oberyn takes it down, since it's GoT, and once it starts dragging on you know something ominous is coming.

Comment

What's the order of preference for flying transatlantic?

I think I have a choice between:

BA
                                Delta
                                AA
                                US Airways
                                United

Comment

Signatures needed

Irish Minister for Justice and Equality Frances Fitzgerald can shed light onto the Tuam childrens' mass grave scandal -- let's urge her to act fast and call for a full investigation. Sign the petition and tell others about it!

Not sure that these things ever work, but given that Washington Post has picked it up, hopefully some media pressure can see someone forcing answers.
                                  Last edited by Emmet; 03-06-14, 15:10. Reason: (Washington Post, not WSJ)

Comment

Signatures needed

Irish Minister for Justice and Equality Frances Fitzgerald can shed light onto the Tuam childrens' mass grave scandal -- let's urge her to act fast and call for a full investigation. Sign the petition and tell others about it!

Not sure that these things ever work, but given that WSJ has picked it up, hopefully some media pressure can see someone forcing answers.

Shared on FB and Twitter.

An absolute disgrace that there isn't full blown national fury over this.

Fucking bastards.

Comment

Fucking bastards.
                                      Kids that were not sold to the yanks.
                                      Like 1961 many who were involved in this would still be alive.
                                      Even a cat found dead on the road would get a better burial.
                                      The demise of the catholic church accelerates.
                                      Why has there been no uproar in the media about this?

Comment

Fucking bastards.
                                        I see the usual catholic nut jobs on twitter have been explaining it away, e.g.

While any child that dies because of neglect is one too many I think the 800 "babies" in this case are being bandied about as more of a horror than it really was.

Comment

I'm at a bit of a loss as to why there isn't a greater outrage about the mass grave in Tuam. The "few bad eggs" position adopted by the Catholic Church rings more hollow with each passing revelation. Are we so numbed to the horrors they inflicted that we are almost immune to the shame this should bring to us?

Magdalene laundries, mass graves of "illegitimate" children, physical and sexual abuse and a legacy of influencing state laws that made homosexuality and divorce illegal until the 1990's. Is it even possible to argue anymore that the Catholic Church is anything less than, to borrow a charming phrase from Leviticus, an abomination?
                                          You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                          World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                            I'm at a bit of a loss as to why there isn't a greater outrage about the mass grave in Tuam. The "few bad eggs" position adopted by the Catholic Church rings more hollow with each passing revelation. Are we so numbed to the horrors they inflicted that we are almost immune to the shame this should bring to us?

Magdalene laundries, mass graves of "illegitimate" children, physical and sexual abuse and a legacy of influencing state laws that made homosexuality and divorce illegal until the 1990's. Is it even possible to argue anymore that the Catholic Church is anything less than, to borrow a charming phrase from Leviticus, an abomination?
                                            It's almost disturbing how close satirical accounts are to the bone.

PHOTO: Brian Lockier/Adoption Rights Alliance THE Catholic Church has responded to the grim discovery of the remains of up to 800 unidentified children buried in an unmarked plot beside a notorious "Mother and Baby Home" in …

Comment

Its a death cult, whaddya expect? In the eyes of the Holy Roman Apostolic Church its good to be dead, dead and innocent is better but dead as an alternative to a life in the care of a sinful, loose woman, well that's the jackpot for people unable to free themselves of this acquired mental illness.
                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

BA
                                                Delta
                                                AA
                                                US Airways
                                                United
                                                Stick AA at the bottom of your list to start anyway. And BA towards the top if not the top.
                                                Last edited by eamonhonda; 03-06-14, 14:46.
                                                airport, lol

Comment

Signatures needed

Not sure that these things ever work, but given that WSJ has picked it up, hopefully some media pressure can see someone forcing answers.

Is there a good report on this in terms of comparing the morality rate to other institutions at the same time and the general morality rate at the time?

Comment

Originally posted by Teddie View Post
                                                    Is there a good report on this in terms of comparing the morality rate to other institutions at the same time and the general morality rate at the time?

In 1925, Galway County Council appealed to the Bon Secours sisters to open a nursing home for mothers and babies. Fifty years later two boys stumbled upon a mass grave. Between 1925 and 1961 St.Ma…

The children died at the rate of one a fortnight for almost 40 years. The figures are still confused. Another report seems to claim that 300 children died between 1943 and 1946, which would change the statistic to almost two deaths a week in a relatively small institution.
                                                    Mortality at that rate countered trends in Ireland of the 1940′s which saw infant mortality drop from the regions of 80 per 1,000 live births to almost 40 per 1,000.
                                                    There's another very long newspaper clipped timeline site though I can't remember. May stumble upon it again at some stage.

edit
                                                    IrishCentral : http://www.irishcentral.com/opinion/...y-Galway-.html

Examiner : http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakin...hs-632129.html
                                                    Co-founder of Adoption Rights Alliance Susan Lohan said as-yet unpublished amateur research into similar homes in Ireland and Britain has highlighted concerns that need to be investigated fully.

"The research suggests that the mortality rate in these homes was in excess of double the national average
                                                    ," she said.
                                                    Washington Post : http://m.washingtonpost.com/news/mor...unwed-mothers/
                                                    Last edited by Emmet; 03-06-14, 15:12.

Comment

Grand Budapest Hotel and 300 in the usual places.

Opr

Comment

BA
                                                        Delta
                                                        AA
                                                        US Airways
                                                        United
                                                        BA would be my pick based on comfort, service and food for economy.

Look at the model of plane that you are getting though as flights direct from Ireland to US (or anywhere else), tend to get a shitter model than say a Dub > UK > US type flight.

Obv sign up to the loyalty program too!

Comment

BA
                                                          Delta
                                                          AA
                                                          US Airways
                                                          United
                                                          Sort them alphabetically and you have it
                                                          One of these days I am either going to quit poker or learn how to play the damn game

Comment

Originally posted by RoadSweeper View Post
                                                            BA would be my pick based on comfort, service and food for economy.

Look at the model of plane that you are getting though as flights direct from Ireland to US (or anywhere else), tend to get a shitter model than say a Dub > UK > US type flight.

Obv sign up to the loyalty program too!
                                                            Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                            Stick AA at the bottom of your list to start anyway. And BA towards the top if not the top.
                                                            Cool, thanks, my list was in order of who I was thinking on going with. Seems BA > US carriers in terms of planes.
                                                            Last edited by Denny Crane; 03-06-14, 15:33.

Comment

Summer heights high fans..

airport, lol

Comment

BA
                                                                Delta
                                                                AA
                                                                US Airways
                                                                United

BA > Delta > Swimming > United

(I haven't flown AA or US Airways.)

Virgin are excellent too.

Comment

Dropped glasses in Lough today whilst fishing ...I am a bollocks

Comment

BA
                                                                    Delta
                                                                    AA
                                                                    US Airways
                                                                    United
                                                                    Destination dependant I guess but why rule out aer lingus?
                                                                    May you live in interesting times!

Comment

I'm an atheist. My youngest girl was the only girl in her class not make here communion last week. While she put on a brave face, I know that deep donwn she would love to have joined them, felt included and to have worn the fancy dress. Im telling you this so you know where Im coming from.

Now to address your point. None of this stuff happened in a vacuum. In this Tuam case for example guards, doctors, teachers, mothers and fathers, and brothers and sisters etc etc, would have suspected what was going on and turned a blind eye.

What is abominable is that we allowed this to happen. So easy to look for a scapegoat (the nuns or the church in this case), than to face our collective guilt and the dark underbelly that was, and arguably still is a feature of this fantastic little country.

By blaming a scapegoat it can happen again because the underlying problem is not being addressed.

How many thanking your post got married in church, go to church, have their children go through christening communion confirmation, are fine with their children being indoctrinationin school and still address the guys in the dog collars as "father".

This is a perfect case of 'Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.' Time to make a few changes folks.
                                                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Comment

BA
                                                                          Delta
                                                                          AA
                                                                          US Airways
                                                                          United
                                                                          I wouldn't even consider the other ones.
                                                                          Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                                                              BA > Delta > Swimming > United

(I haven't flown AA or US Airways.)

Virgin are excellent too.
                                                                              Originally posted by bp_me View Post
                                                                              Destination dependant I guess but why rule out aer lingus?
                                                                              US Airways don't even seem to have individual inflight entertainment

Virgin/AL don't fly to where I want to go (I guess I could book multiple airlines but that's extra hassle)

Comment

US Airways don't even seem to have individual inflight entertainment
                                                                                Same for Delta

Comment

Wouldn't put any US airlines on that list due to the manky old planes they use. BA, Virgin, Aer Lingus, Iberia would be all good though. Way better flying from Dublin though due to preclearance, so that puts Aer Lingus tops IMO. Fact that you need to go through Heathrow for BA, Virgin is a huge negative.
                                                                                  Only vaguely remember flying through London to Vegas a few years ago (other times I've connected in the US so done pre-clearance here) - I'm going via Gatwick at the end of this month, does that mean I've to do customs once I land? And anyone done it recently know how long it takes? Tilt, forgot about that when I was booking.

Comment

They did last time I flew with them? For the international flight, not for the domestic.

Comment

Flew BA recently, think virgin is better but would take it over the other options if virgin is not available

Comment

I actually think Delta are decent and have used them a few times over the past few years.

Flew a few times last year with US Airways and United and said never again. If anyone is doing internal flights within the States and Jet Blue is an option I think they're fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by RasTa View Post
                                                                                          Same for Delta
                                                                                          same for AA from dublin
                                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                            same for AA from dublin
                                                                                            Here I'm flying out at 9.35 on Thursday, going to walk up and get the public bus outside Drumcondra train station think it's the 40. Anyway how long does it take at that hour?

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by RasTa View Post
                                                                                                Here I'm flying out at 9.35 on Thursday, going to walk up and get the public bus outside Drumcondra train station think it's the 40. Anyway how long does it take at that hour?
                                                                                                41, or 16, but 16 detours around whitehall so avoid that.

I used get that from the regency and id be there in bout 20 mins so say half hour ish max with added traffic and that.
                                                                                                Last edited by eamonhonda; 03-06-14, 16:19.
                                                                                                airport, lol

Comment

They did last time I flew with them? For the international flight, not for the domestic.
                                                                                                  Inflight entertainment all depends on the plane model - Dublin usually gets a lower spec of plan than say UK or Amsterdam in my experience.

Comment

Speaking of internal flights within the US for the price I think Southwest are the nuts.
                                                                                                    The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day. Gerry Thornley 23/3/09

Comment

Decided to marinade some sliced steak to make a curry. Added Worcestershire sauce instead of soy sauce ...rather than waste, chucked in soy on top with sherry, garlic and chilli powder

be interesting to see how it comes out ...

I am a bollocks again ..................

Comment

Originally posted by TheDrunkenOne View Post
                                                                                                        Decided to marinade some sliced steak to make a curry. Added Worcestershire sauce instead of soy sauce ...rather than waste, chucked in soy on top with sherry, garlic and chilli powder

be interesting to see how it comes out ...

I am a bollocks again ..................
                                                                                                        Got some flank steak from the Asian shop marinating the past 24 hours, €2 euro for a massive piece. Going to fire up the egg and flash it for 30 seconds on each side. If this works oh joy.

Beef short ribs are nicer then any fillet steak I've had.

Comment

Originally posted by thechamp87 View Post
                                                                                                          Only vaguely remember flying through London to Vegas a few years ago (other times I've connected in the US so done pre-clearance here) - I'm going via Gatwick at the end of this month, does that mean I've to do customs once I land? And anyone done it recently know how long it takes? Tilt, forgot about that when I was booking.
                                                                                                          Customs didn't take too long in February in Vegas but then there was a 30 minute queue to leave the airport, maybe an hour total after landing.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                                            I'm an atheist. My youngest girl was the only girl in her class not make here communion last week. While she put on a brave face, I know that deep donwn she would love to have joined them, felt included and to have worn the fancy dress. Im telling you this so you know where Im coming from.

Now to address your point. None of this stuff happened in a vacuum. In this Tuam case for example guards, doctors, teachers, mothers and fathers, and brothers and sisters etc etc, would have suspected what was going on and turned a blind eye.

What is abominable is that we allowed this to happen. So easy to look for a scapegoat (the nuns or the church in this case), than to face our collective guilt and the dark underbelly that was, and arguably still is a feature of this fantastic little country.

By blaming a scapegoat it can happen again because the underlying problem is not being addressed.

How many thanking your post got married in church, go to church, have their children go through christening communion confirmation, are fine with their children being indoctrinationin school and still address the guys in the dog collars as "father".

This is a perfect case of 'Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.' Time to make a few changes folks.
                                                                                                            On a basic level I agree with you but the thing is, in this case, the Catholic Church aren't the scapegoat for an underlying problem, they are the underlying problem.

The pervasive influence they have had on Irish society for centuries, breeding the culture of deference to the cloth that we are still trying to shake off in the most secular society we have ever had, is astonishing. The fact that we find it wonderful that Ireland is ready to allow gay people to marry (in all likelihood) is quite demonstrative of their influence. What right did we ever have to say they couldn't? Irish society and Irish culture is fundamentally Catholic.

The permissiveness that allows us to keep voting Lowry in, that allows us to forgive almost any mis-deed in public office, is the same permissiveness bred by a Catholic Church that stood on the pulpit and told you to only marry other Catholics and that sex was a sin while simultaneously committing the most heinous acts of hypocrisy as well as just the most heinous acts imaginable.

And all with our tacit consent. The unbreakable consent of silence. Never has the adage that all evil needs to flourish is for good men to do nothing been so clearly proven. We allowed it to happen but we allowed it to happen because of centuries of indoctrination, control and demonisation.

None of this is an attack on Catholicism or Christianity by the way. It is an attack on the institutions who pontificate at the world while they wield the power of an institution to facilitate their abominable actions.
                                                                                                            You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                            World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

GOT

SPOILER
                                                                                                              Suffering from a serious case of the Fear today. An unrelenting negativity. I honestly feel worse after watching GOT, fucking Oberyn, he didn't deserve that. I'm gutted.
                                                                                                              This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Should always have a respect for the church and give up yer auld sins. Breeding a bunch of heathens on here before we know it with all this talk.

SPOILER

This pic says it all. Seen it a while back looking at google maps. Refuge of sinners. Look at that chap entering the church. He isnt listening to all this talk, hes happy to admit hes a sinner and is seeking said refuge. Why cant we all just be like that fella.

Comment

On a basic level I agree with you but the thing is, in this case, the Catholic Church aren't the scapegoat for an underlying problem, they are the underlying problem.

The pervasive influence they have had on Irish society for centuries, breeding the culture of deference to the cloth that we are still trying to shake off in the most secular society we have ever had, is astonishing. The fact that we find it wonderful that Ireland is ready to allow gay people to marry (in all likelihood) is quite demonstrative of their influence. What right did we ever have to say they couldn't? Irish society and Irish culture is fundamentally Catholic.

The permissiveness that allows us to keep voting Lowry in, that allows us to forgive almost any mis-deed in public office, is the same permissiveness bred by a Catholic Church that stood on the pulpit and told you to only marry other Catholics and that sex was a sin while simultaneously committing the most heinous acts of hypocrisy as well as just the most heinous acts imaginable.

And all with our tacit consent. The unbreakable consent of silence. Never has the adage that all evil needs to flourish is for good men to do nothing been so clearly proven. We allowed it to happen but we allowed it to happen because of centuries of indoctrination, control and demonisation.

None of this is an attack on Catholicism or Christianity by the way. It is an attack on the institutions who pontificate at the world while they wield the power of an institution to facilitate their abominable actions.

Excellent post. I've been pacing the floor here for twenty minutes trying to word a reply to Wombatman's 'scapegoat' post. I'm too filled with fury to articulate my thoughts. Thank you for doing it for me.

Originally posted by Bock the Robber
                                                                                                                  Let’s not be too surprised at the silence over mass graves of babies in Ireland. This society, after all, is founded on a contempt for the weak. This is a society that has never confronted its own great catastrophe, the Irish Shoah known as the Great Famine. This is a society well-used to burying its feelings and hating those who fall beneath the hooves of history.

Let me put it this way: what did the Famine survivors do in order to survive? Would they boast about their actions to their children and grandchildren? What did your ancestors do to survive? Maybe they even became wealthy during those years?

What a fertile plot Cardinal Paul Cullen found, in which to sow the seeds of his extreme Ultramontane Catholicism back in 1852. A society riddled with grief, rage, guilt and hatred.
                                                                                                                  Fucking scapegoats, the bastards raped the minds of an entire society with their twisted sense of morality. The reason there is so much apathy to this horror is because that still pervades to this day.

Wtf with people comparing mortality rates anyway? They dumped babies into a fucking septic tank. They malnourished them because they were illegitimate and they dumped their bodies. There's one story of a child's body that was just tossed into a bush and left to rot.

How many fucking nuns died of malnourishment?

I'm really upset about this, moreso because nobody gives a flying fuck.

Fucking hate this country.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                                                        GOT

SPOILER
                                                                                                                        Suffering from a serious case of the Fear today. An unrelenting negativity. I honestly feel worse after watching GOT, fucking Oberyn, he didn't deserve that. I'm gutted.
                                                                                                                        Millions of people are in an abusive relationship with George R R Martin. The man is a terror. A mad, brilliant, terror.
                                                                                                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I have a couple of thousand words to write for my final assignment between now and the morning. Came on here hoping for some entertainment through the night, and as if by magic Hitch provides
                                                                                                                          The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day. Gerry Thornley 23/3/09

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X