Vinyl Amouse Bouche?

Leave a comment:

• Hectorjelly
    replied
    In if theres space

Leave a comment:

• Raoul Duke III
    replied
    Ok, booked for 8 peeps on Thursday 21st Jan.

GAB
    V
    KP
    Ionapaul
    New Approach
    Strewel
    Denny
    iSnow
    Lao Lao
    Moi
    Hi Cloy

So far but sure a few will drop out.

We will talk again after Xmas. Put it in your filofax or rolodex.

Leave a comment:

• V for Vendetta
    replied
    Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
    People usually busier on Saturdays was my thinking plus they have more availability on Thurs.

Some success story for what is a pretty shit location tbf
    You're probably right in general but the chances of me being able to go gamble afterwards go up on a Saturday.

Any night out is better than no night out in my book.

Leave a comment:

• NewApproach
    replied
    In for Vintage Kitchen

Edit: could be tentative if it ends up being a Saturday.
    Last edited by NewApproach; 30-09-15, 16:12.

Leave a comment:

• Raoul Duke III
    replied
    Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
    I presume a Saturday is a non runner? Thursday is better than nothing.
    People usually busier on Saturdays was my thinking plus they have more availability on Thurs.

Some success story for what is a pretty shit location tbf

Leave a comment:

• V for Vendetta
    replied
    Booked out on Fridays until March (well at a civilised time, don't think 5.30 is an option for most).

Will I try for a Thursday?

I presume a Saturday is a non runner? Thursday is better than nothing.

Leave a comment:

• Raoul Duke III
    replied
    I'll aim for 15th or 22nd Jan. Should be the nut dates to avoid the remainder of humanity. Will confirm early next week.
    Booked out on Fridays until March (well at a civilised time, don't think 5.30 is an option for most).

Will I try for a Thursday?

Leave a comment:

• Iago
    replied
    make it the 2nd January and I'll be back in Dublin en route home from Vegas

Leave a comment:

• HiCloy
    replied
    In for Vintage Kitchen

In Brioche in Ranelagh last night a member of my group asked how the Beef fillet is done, and was told that the chef will not cook it any more than medium rare pretty mixed overall, wouldn't be in a rush back

Leave a comment:

• DeadParrot
    replied
    Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
    Would like to commit but with baby on his way it's not something i could be sure i'd make until an hour or two before.
    I cannot plan anything more than a pizza at the moment

Leave a comment:

• iSnow
    replied
    Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
    it would be a sin to share the wine we will be drinking that night with our partners.
    Just copped the byow policy. Can we set a par for the wine drinkers? Maybe everyone bring 2 bottleS at least?
    Last edited by iSnow; 26-09-15, 22:49.

Leave a comment:

• iSnow
    replied
    Partners or no?

Leave a comment:

• BennyHiFi
    replied
    Originally posted by iSnow View Post
    Paging Benny Hi-Fi and HJ
    Would like to commit but with baby on his way it's not something i could be sure i'd make until an hour or two before.

Leave a comment:

• Raoul Duke III
    replied
    Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
    In - Once it's not the 8th Jan as will be having dinner bought for me that night!
    I'll aim for 15th or 22nd Jan. Should be the nut dates to avoid the remainder of humanity. Will confirm early next week.

Leave a comment:

• Lao Lao
    replied
    Taking names for an interest list to hit the Vintage Kitchen some Friday night in January (yes, you need to book that far ahead). We had a good night here before and it's a good little spot.

In - Once it's not the 8th Jan as will be having dinner bought for me that night!

Leave a comment:

• iSnow
    replied
    Ohhhhhh yeahhhhhhhh
    Paging Benny Hi-Fi and HJ

Leave a comment:

• Raoul Duke III
    replied
    Originally posted by iSnow View Post
    Is it still BYO Vinyl?
    Ohhhhhh yeahhhhhhhh

Leave a comment:

• iSnow
    replied
    Is it still BYO Vinyl?

Leave a comment:

• Strewelpeter
    replied
    In

Leave a comment:

• V for Vendetta
    replied
    In.

Leave a comment:

• ionapaul
    replied
    In as well.

Leave a comment:

• iSnow
    replied
    In provisionally, My own location depending.

Leave a comment:

• Raoul Duke III
    replied
    Taking names for an interest list to hit the Vintage Kitchen some Friday night in January (yes, you need to book that far ahead). We had a good night here before and it's a good little spot.

Leave a comment:

• Lao Lao
    replied
    Restaurant Name: Pearl Brasserie

Price Range: €€€€

Review:

Mrs Lao Lao turned the ripe old age of...wait, I best not say...anyway, she isn't really into celebrating her birthday which I find bizarre as I always look to turn my birthday into a birthweek so it was to be just the two of us for dinner

I collected her from her place in Ranelagh and we strolled the 10 minute walk down to O'Briens on Sussex Terrace for a few pre dinner drinks. It was a lovely evening so after drinks, I decided to walk into town. This also allowed me to do what I love doing best. Whenever I book dinner for either her birthday or our anniversary, I refuse to tell her where we are going and proceed to pretend to walk into several other restaurants en route and this night was no exception as I stopped, held the door open for her in Residence, Bang and Etto only to walk away when she was half way in

We arrived on time at 9pm but were advised they were just getting our table ready so we took a seat at the bar and order a couple of glasses of Prosecco and had a look over the menu's. After about 5 minutes, she advised what she was having for starters and main course and I winced, we'd both opted for the exact same thing.

Being the gentleman that I am, I said I'd change my choices but she insisted that she change her starter and keep her main - Deal! We were then brought to our table which was in one of the alcoves (I had specially asked for it) The alcove may or may not be everyone's thing but we both really enjoyed it. It was nice that we had out own little place away from everyone else and it was very nicely decked out. There was loads of room for us, there would have been enough room for three people, four people would just about squeezed in but it might have been tight.

I ordered a bottle of the Pouilly Fume de Ladoucette which is the finest example of a sauvignon blanc that you will get. I challenge anybody to give me a better one. It was served at the perfect temperature

For food, I was swayed from my original choice of starter of Pan Fried Duck Foie Gras with Rhubarb & Strawberry Balsamic by the special offering of a warm lamb terrine which meant Mrs Lao got both her original choices of starter and main which meant we were both happy as the lamb terrine was for me, far superior than the Foie Gras, not that the Foie Gras was bad, it was just that the lamb was sublime.

For mains, I opted for the Iberico Pork, Jerusalem Artichoke, Figues, Flageolet, Manchego, Almond & BBQ Sauce while she had the Hake with Peas & Broad Beans, Mussel Veloute, Polenta & Pickled Enoki. You would be splitting hairs over these two. The pork was melt in your mouth stuff while the Hake was a chunky but elegantly cooked piece of fish. We shared a side of truffle mash that was wonderfully creamy and velvety and I was only short of licking the utensil clean

For desserts, I had the selection of ice cream (as I am still a big child and always will be) and she settled on the creme brulee and this is where the meal fell down slightly. The creme brulee, for me, wasn't anything special. I've made similar at home myself. The ice cream was too gimmicky. It was four different flavours in four different mini cones that was displayed in a weird pen holder type thing that just looked odd. Don't get me wrong, it was all eaten but the whole presentation / standard of the first two course was severely lacking

The service throughout was very good and the whole experience was very enjoyable. Two glasses of Prosecco, bottle of wine, two starters, mains and desserts came to €192.50 excluding tip

From there, we headed around the corner to Toners for a few drinks, maybe a few too many actually, as after about an hour, we had convinced ourselves we were 21 again and trotted across the lane way to Xico (the old Baggot Inn) In the Q, the bouncer dutifully checked the handbags of all the 20-something year olds and relieved them of a few naggins and seemed amused when I told him I had a load of cans hid in my trousers but I'd keep him one if he didn't take them off me. Inside, the place was heaving and our arrival increased the average age by about 8 years but it didn't stop us getting our groove on and dropping shapes of all sizes on our make shift dance floor. Quality is ageless really...

8/10
    Last edited by Lao Lao; 21-09-15, 22:56.

Leave a comment:

• ghostface
    replied
    Heading to Sheen Falls Lodge in Kenmare during the week, any recommendations for places to eat in Kenmare/surrounding area? Will be eating in The Falls restaurant one of the nights so hope that'll be good

Leave a comment:

• Keane
    replied
    went last night again, 4 of us, exceptional steaks. The couple next to us sent their steaks back though. Got through another 3 bottles of Meerlust.
    What's the issue, just not getting it cooked rare enough or whatever?

Leave a comment:

• Mike
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike View Post
    Any recommendations for good/high end food in Dublin on a Sunday night?
    cross post from bbv

Leave a comment:

• mcnugget
    replied
    Originally posted by zuutroy View Post

TLDR: Go to Chapter One twice instead.
    Amen to that. Went to Guilbaud’s once and hated the whole experience. We had a voucher for €200 and they undercharged us €100 in error and the bill still came to almost €400. Anywhere else I would have pointed the error out but fuck that.

Leave a comment:

• shano1888
    replied
    I would have been really pissed off I was being made to feel rushed in your spot Zuutroy. I have blown the lid over this before when out for a 25euro early bird.

Leave a comment:

• Lord Sir Banter
    replied
    eddie's charges more after midnight so it moves from €€ to €€€

Leave a comment:

• rounders123
    replied
    Originally posted by Lord Sir Business View Post
    ate in some restaurants, some were pretty good, some just ok

price range: €€-€€€
    Stop exaggerating with your €€€. We know you were never in a €€€ place knowingly.

Leave a comment:

• Lord Sir Banter
    replied
    ate in some restaurants, some were pretty good, some just ok

price range: €€-€€€

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Restaurant Name: Patrick Guilbaud

Price Range: €€€€€

Review:

I remember when I was heading to London to Heston’s place last year thinking that the flights, hotel, and dinner were likely to come in at a cheaper clip than Guilbaud’s would, which makes it a hard place to justify visiting.
    We got there at 7:00, a little early for our 7:30 reservation with plans to have a drink before eating. Got a G&T and browsed the menu, but had already decided we’d be doing the tasting menu. Before I had even got a chance to take a sip of my drink they were ushering us to our table at about 7:10.
    Bread came out fairly sharpish which was lovely, along with those cheese-puff things you get sometimes which are pointless.
    First course was some kind of tortellini thing that was nice, with a random cup of pea soup on the side. Not sure what they were trying to do here.
    Before I had made it through half of the accompanying wine, the next glass arrived swiftly followed by the next course which was crab meat rolled in cucumber, kind of like a sushi thing. I don’t know…cold fish dishes to nothing for me. The best I’ll ever say is that it tasted fresh. Cold things by their nature don’t stimulate the taste buds as much, which is why macro-brewed beers are so geared to get you to drink it as cold as possible.
    Again found myself choking down the wine when the next glass arrived along with an onion tartlet topped with a crispy parmesan flake. This was lovely.
    At this point they brought out the port for what was a cheese board course and I had to tell them to slow down because I couldn’t drink any faster. My mrs. doesn’t love cheese so she asked for a substitution. A full 35 minutes later the cheese cart arrived which was very impressive and stinky. She got a fairly pathetic sorbet and I was disappointed they couldn’t come up with something a bit better, especially after 35 minutes.
    Main fish course was lobster in some sort of apple sauce and it was exceptional. Probably would force its way on to my list of top 10 dishes of all time.
    The pacing had improved by this stage, and the pigeon that came out next was really nice. A simple dish that let the quality of the produce speak for itself. The place was busy by this stage, and the service really looked chaotic, more so than I’ve seen in any top restaurant. The two desert courses aren’t really worth remarking on. They were very nice but nothing more.
    The bill came to €580 and that didn’t include service. For what we received it was absolutely exorbitant. The tasting menu is double the price of the chef’s table at Chapter One, and to be honest I’m not even sure that’s any better, never mind twice as good. The wine pairing was €120 which was hefty compared to €45 at Ch1, but I have to admit there was a really nice mix of wines but again I’m not sure if it was 2.5x as good.
    In the end I had to ask for the bill twice which was probably the 3rd-4th mistake of the night. I’m laid back enough but you really should expect completely flawless service for that money.
    I’ve visited 3 two-star restaurants now and Guilbaud’s doesn’t hold a candle to the other ones. I won’t be in a rush back.

TLDR: Go to Chapter One twice instead.

Leave a comment:

• Keane
    replied
    Also I meant to re-recommend The Old Convent near Cahir if anyone is looking for a quiet night away. Went again this year for the anniversary and the dinner is class. This time around it was actually too much food and we couldn't finish the 2nd desert. Actually could barely manage the breakfast the next morning.
    I was there a few weeks ago actually. The missus used to work there and had raved about the dinner and the rooms.

I didn't see the rooms but had the tasting menu. Can't really remember much beyond the fact that while I thought it was really nice it wasn't quite at the level of say the meal we had in Thorntons that time.

TBF, at what? half the price you wouldn't expect it to be. Excellent value for good food in a nice part of the country I would say.

Leave a comment:

• Raoul Duke III
    replied
    it's just trying too hard, especially when it says the following about itself on their website

The Camden Exchange is all about the exchange of ideas and we believe in providing all our customers with a FUN, CREATIVE and INCLUSIVE environment.

and

It's not About Us, it is ABOUT YOU – if you have any ideas or artistic inspirations let us know.

RDIII, on the other hand, would probably have an apoplectic fit and start to foam at the mouth due to the hipster nature of the place.
    Confirmed

Leave a comment:

• thechamp87
    replied
    I had one of the best meals I've had in Dublin in a long time at Taste at Rustic a few weeks ago. Menu was a bit confusing at first glance but was explained well (looking on their website this might have been changed since).

Probably the best sushi I've had here - the prawn nigiri was incredible. The coal roasted asparagus and sushi rice sides were very tasty. Also had the lamb skewers from the grill. Doughnut sticks for dessert were delicious too. Sat at the bar area so we could see them prepping all the sushi as we ate, interesting to watch. I got out of there for about €120 for 2 of us with 3 or 4 glasses of wine. Will be going back asap.

Leave a comment:

• rounders123
    replied
    Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
    Rounders, I live and work in the area and always thought the Irishtown Inn was to be avoided at all costs!

I might give it a spin some day and will definitely try the chipper!
    It's the first time ive been and know it had that rep but it's been refurbishef and it's bright and friendly

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Also I meant to re-recommend The Old Convent near Cahir if anyone is looking for a quiet night away. Went again this year for the anniversary and the dinner is class. This time around it was actually too much food and we couldn't finish the 2nd desert. Actually could barely manage the breakfast the next morning.

Leave a comment:

• ionapaul
    replied
    Wandered into the Camden Exchange two weekends ago for post-dinner drinks and although it was quite nice, I realise I'm now too old and too uncool to spend time in such an uber-hipster den. Felt the same the last time I visited the South William Bar (last month at some point), the bar people had the most ridiculous facial hair and I'm sure I seemed like a granddad to them. Sad

Prior to the Camden Exchange we ate in a restaurant called Damascus Gate further down Camden Street, almost in Portobello. It was excellent value, MASSIVE courses and very reasonable prices. It's also BYOB, which is great. I had some slow-cooked lamb curry-like main and my better half went for a vegetarian dish, both of which were just lovely. We also had starters so were unable for dessert, but each choose one of the exotic teas that were on the menu. Will be back.

Leave a comment:

• eoghan104
    replied
    Rounders, I live and work in the area and always thought the Irishtown Inn was to be avoided at all costs!

I might give it a spin some day and will definitely try the chipper!

Leave a comment:

• colm_leche
    replied
    Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
    First thing first is that Dublin is such a great city and im proud of it. So many buildings we can take for granted. My own favourites are lanes and my favourite is Dame Court. Leading from Dame St to Dame lane is such a great lane and not just because it had a bookies half way up it and a couple of pubs on the other end even though this helps. A warm quiver runs through me every time i havent walked through this lane in a while. Another gem is Crampton Court which leads from Dame st beside Brogans pub/Olympia theatre to Essex st beside Connelly book shop. The view from Brogans out the window to the lane i could look at all weekend as Rosin Ingle would say. But no i couldnt watch it all weekend actually because i would feel the need to go somewhere else during the weekend and would be worried what the bar staff would be thinking of me gazing out the window to the lane all weekend.

What about the food you say?. You dont worry about that for a while.

Now Irishtown heres a real hidden gem in Dublin and i mean it. It has somewhat of a reputation but all i can see is good as gold crusty characters. There is a cluster of pubs within betting docket throwing distance in a twilight zone of V shaped one way streets that if you arent fully compos mentis you could look silly walking up and down trying to find somewhere you were in just half an hour ago doing your best act that you actually know where your walking even though you havent a scoobie doo even if your only a couple of drinks in and i should know i was that self appointed prize pup going solo.

Do they have food there?. What did i tell you only a minute ago dont bleedin worry about that for now. Now there is something you need to know about Irishtown if you want to fit in without causing to much of an alert amongst the locals. Dont seem to eager or act too mannerly. I tried that once and got away with it but the best method to adopt is walk slowly to the bar like you only half mean it and ask for a drink without saying please and you wont raise the suspicions of the locals that you are a detective or anything. ''Got any of that whatdoyoucallit?'' will do just fine.

The outside of the Irishtown house betrays what lies within. Inside they have 2 screens showing ATR and RUK simultaneously. I was glad i pulled a stool in this locale. One local was heard saying ''Theres too much bleedin racing on'' and quite frankly it wouldnt be the same without these fellows speaking their mind. When the barman was idly roving around collecting emptys i told him i liked the way the pub had both racing channels on simultaneously to which he replied ''pfftt there would be bleedin murder if we didnt''.

Iannelli's take away is one of the finest Italian chipper take aways in D4 situated within beer sodden crumpled betting docket throwing distance from the Irishtown Inn and is run by i presume the Iannelli family. You must be warned that there is a €5 minimum spend for credit cards to be accepted. The acid test of a bona fide Italian chipper is when you order a few items where chips isnt one of them yet they throw a few chips in anyway and Iannellis is no exception. If you order a spice burger and a sausage in batter and you find no chips inside let that be a cause for concern. Its not to be angle shooted though as they have it angle shoot proof as they dont throw enough chips in there for you to see and say ah thats grand that will do me. They throw a small amount in just to whet the appetite as if to say ''Were sorry you couldnt afford chips but my father always had a tradition to help those in need and i must continue the tradition and you really should have chips anyway so i am compelled to put some in''.
    The Iannelli men take the order and cook the food but its the Iannelli woman than comes to do the money collect and salt&vinegar offer at the end of it. The Iannelli men dont get mired up in the monetary transaction of things.
    From the top drawer.

Leave a comment:

• Lao Lao
    replied
    Hard to follow up straight after a Rounders review but anyway, here goes...

Restaurant Name: Camden Exchange

Website: http://www.camdenexchangedublin.com/camdenexchange.html

Price Range: €

Review:

The building that hosts the Camden Exchange used to be the set of the TV show RAW and in life imitating art, it's now a proper functioning restaurant.

We had been talking about going in for a while but never really got around to it until yesterday, when I arrived back from a lads overnight trip to Carlingford, a bit hungover, slightly tired and not in the mood for going anywhere too fancy.

Yesterday was a reasonably bright (almost sunny) day so maybe that made it worse but as soon as you walk into Camden Exchange, you realise just how dark it is inside

The layout is not like most restaurants. There are some normal tables and chairs but there is also a lot of couches and armchairs with tables put in front of them

The 'kitchen' is also quite gimmicky in the fact that it is an old truck converted into a kitchen to signify their street food menu

The staff are laid back and friendly and the music could easily have been downloaded from the TXFM playlist, which is not a bad thing.

The drinks menu is split into three sections, wine, beer and cocktails. The beer menu looked pretty decent but due to the aforementioned lads overnight trip away, I couldn't face any of it. The cocktail menu perplexed me. A lot of places I go to lately that serve cocktails seem to be trying to outdo each other with cocktails on the menu that I've never heard of before. Call me old fashioned but what's wrong with an old school classic? Another thing that gets up my goat, is messing around with a classic and Camden Exchange are guilty of this with their 'Gin Garden Mojito' No, no, NO!!. Mojito's are made with rum, end of!

With all the above in mind, I picked a Pinot Grigio from the very limited wine selection but at €27.50, I was disappointed with what we got, it was really bland and tasteless and you probably could have bought better for circa €10 in a bog standard off licence

Onto the food.

For starters, I had their 'Camden Exchange Van Sausage Roll with Apple Ketchup' and herself had the Whipped Farm Fresh Chicken Liver Pate, Toasted Sourdough, Red Onion Confit.

Now, I have to admit, sausage rolls are my guilty pleasure, even if it is a Spar/Mace effort (even though the Applegreen ones are way better) and this sausage roll surpassed them all, this was up there with a serving from Lolly & Cooks - I wolfed it down

Sadly, the pate wasn't great, it was quite watery which is pity as no restaurant should be getting something like this so wrong.

For mains, I had the mezze board of moroccan lamb kofta, beet yoghurt, hummus, pickled red onion, toonsbridge feta cheese & olives with flatbread while she opted for the 3 x mini soft tacos of spiced hake goujons, chipotle mayo, avocado, slaw, pickled red onion & coriander with both of us opting for a side portion of chips

Credit where credit is due, both mains were very tasty and were great value at €8 each. The portions weren't huge but by the time we had finished, we were both nicely full

It's clearly not a fine dining experience and it's not trying to be either. For value for money, it's very good but it's just trying too hard, especially when it says the following about itself on their website

The Camden Exchange is all about the exchange of ideas and we believe in providing all our customers with a FUN, CREATIVE and INCLUSIVE environment.

and

It's not About Us, it is ABOUT YOU – if you have any ideas or artistic inspirations let us know.

The bill including a sparkling water came to €35 until we noticed they didn't charge us for the wine. Even though it was pretty crap wine, I'd feel guilty not paying so the revised bill came to €62.50

It's not somewhere I'd be rushing back to but I would eat there again in the future as it's nice to have informal, cheap, value places to eat. I'd also say the student population would lap their shit up in their droves

RDIII, on the other hand, would probably have an apoplectic fit and start to foam at the mouth due to the hipster nature of the place.

6 /10

Leave a comment:

• rounders123
    replied
    Iannelli's Irishtown

First thing first is that Dublin is such a great city and im proud of it. So many buildings we can take for granted. My own favourites are lanes and my favourite is Dame Court. Leading from Dame St to Dame lane is such a great lane and not just because it had a bookies half way up it and a couple of pubs on the other end even though this helps. A warm quiver runs through me every time i havent walked through this lane in a while. Another gem is Crampton Court which leads from Dame st beside Brogans pub/Olympia theatre to Essex st beside Connelly book shop. The view from Brogans out the window to the lane i could look at all weekend as Rosin Ingle would say. But no i couldnt watch it all weekend actually because i would feel the need to go somewhere else during the weekend and would be worried what the bar staff would be thinking of me gazing out the window to the lane all weekend.

What about the food you say?. You dont worry about that for a while.

Now Irishtown heres a real hidden gem in Dublin and i mean it. It has somewhat of a reputation but all i can see is good as gold crusty characters. There is a cluster of pubs within betting docket throwing distance in a twilight zone of V shaped one way streets that if you arent fully compos mentis you could look silly walking up and down trying to find somewhere you were in just half an hour ago doing your best act that you actually know where your walking even though you havent a scoobie doo even if your only a couple of drinks in and i should know i was that self appointed prize pup going solo.

Do they have food there?. What did i tell you only a minute ago dont bleedin worry about that for now. Now there is something you need to know about Irishtown if you want to fit in without causing to much of an alert amongst the locals. Dont seem to eager or act too mannerly. I tried that once and got away with it but the best method to adopt is walk slowly to the bar like you only half mean it and ask for a drink without saying please and you wont raise the suspicions of the locals that you are a detective or anything. ''Got any of that whatdoyoucallit?'' will do just fine.

The outside of the Irishtown house betrays what lies within. Inside they have 2 screens showing ATR and RUK simultaneously. I was glad i pulled a stool in this locale. One local was heard saying ''Theres too much bleedin racing on'' and quite frankly it wouldnt be the same without these fellows speaking their mind. When the barman was idly roving around collecting emptys i told him i liked the way the pub had both racing channels on simultaneously to which he replied ''pfftt there would be bleedin murder if we didnt''.

Iannelli's take away is one of the finest Italian chipper take aways in D4 situated within beer sodden crumpled betting docket throwing distance from the Irishtown Inn and is run by i presume the Iannelli family. You must be warned that there is a €5 minimum spend for credit cards to be accepted. The acid test of a bona fide Italian chipper is when you order a few items where chips isnt one of them yet they throw a few chips in anyway and Iannellis is no exception. If you order a spice burger and a sausage in batter and you find no chips inside let that be a cause for concern. Its not to be angle shooted though as they have it angle shoot proof as they dont throw enough chips in there for you to see and say ah thats grand that will do me. They throw a small amount in just to whet the appetite as if to say ''Were sorry you couldnt afford chips but my father always had a tradition to help those in need and i must continue the tradition and you really should have chips anyway so i am compelled to put some in''.
    The Iannelli men take the order and cook the food but its the Iannelli woman than comes to do the money collect and salt&vinegar offer at the end of it. The Iannelli men dont get mired up in the monetary transaction of things.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Sunday lunch the world over. It's not meant to be otherwise.
    It is when 2 of the party have the attention span of goldfish!

Leave a comment:

• Raoul Duke III
    replied
    Reporting live from Pigeon House. Slow going.
    Sunday lunch the world over. It's not meant to be otherwise.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Reporting live from Pigeon House. Slow going.

Leave a comment:

• Raoul Duke III
    replied
    Restaurant Name: Pigeon House Clontarf

A solid 8.5 / 10
    Echoed by Mrs DIII, thought it was excellent and she would be a far harsher critic than I. Good addition to de Nortsoide.

Leave a comment:

• Raoul Duke III
    replied
    thread seems to be perking up

Went to Super Miss Sue during the week, nice to have a dedicted fish place in town - nothing special though and you will do better pretty much anywhere in Howth. tbh, I think their takeaway is better than the restaurant - they do great scampi and chips for a tenner.

Waitress was really nervous, dropped my espresso all over the place. Clearly my resemblance to a young George Clooney was unnerving.

Leave a comment:

• SatNav
    replied
    Pity someone couldn't have recommended a nice restaurant in Douglas, because I can't fucking find any here lol

Leave a comment:

• elbows
    replied
    Was in Etto last week. Food was decent. Good wine by the glass selection. Restaurant is very cramped though.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Guilbaud's on Saturday. First nice dinner out since March. This will complete the Dublin Michelin star tour!

Leave a comment:

• Tar.Aldarion
    replied
    Definitely gonna pop in there, I'm not too far from it.

Off to Chameleon this evening.

Leave a comment:

• Raoul Duke III
    replied
    Pretty sure someone already posted about the Hop House\Kimchi Korean place on Parnell Street but echoing the thumbs-up. Distinctively different to other Asian cuisine but good. Well worth a visit if looking to extend food horizons a bit.

Leave a comment:

• Lao Lao
    replied
    Restaurant Name: Pigeon House Clontarf

Price Range: €€

Review:

The Pigeon House is open about 3 months in Clontarf and is housed in the old Les Ami building. Inside, they haven't changed much structurally but the place has had a complete make over and it looks very nice. It's a very laid back, contemporary seaside feel to it and there is a bit of a nautical vibe off it even though there is not a nautical piece in sight.

A couple of things I picked up on very quickly was

The tables were nicely spread out. They weren't miles away from each other but you didn't feel like anybody was on top of you. It's something that really bugs me about restaurants that cram in as many tables / seats as you can (Rustic Stone being a very bad culprit)

The chairs were very comfortable and were aesthetically very well designed

Every staff member was very friendly and always smiling. They all came across like they really enjoyed working there, in a very genuine way

So, onto the food. The menu isn't huge consisting of only 6 starters and 6 mains but I still found it quite difficult to pick as I would have happily eaten anything that was on offer

I settled for the Duck Liver Parfait, Pear & Raisin Chutney with grilled Sourdough while herself went for the dressed crab, radish, avocado and crisp bread. The Parfait was excellent and the dish also came with some type of slaw which went perfect with the chutney. There was also enough bread to match the amount of parfait in the form of two large sourdough slices (one of my pet peeves is not enough bread with parfait/pate!)

The crab was very fresh and had a really nice zingy sauce with it. Only one thing weird about it was that it came out in a ridiculous over sized bowl which made the dish look very small when in fact, it was probably a normal sized portion

For mains, she went with the rump of lamb served with mash, peas and a pea puree while I opted for the burger. Now, a burger is not something I'd normally order in a restaurant. For me a burger is more of a pub grub dish but I was totally sold by the description of "28 day aged smoked beef burger, smoked applewood cheese, beef tomato, onion relish on brioche buns and skinny fries" and I wasn't disappointed. Apart from my own homemade burgers (clear bias) it was probably one of the best burgers I've ever had.

That being said I did have a little bit of food envy as the scrap of lamb I got to taste was absolutely divine and was met with smiles, 'ummms' and nods of approval after every bite

At the end, we were both sadly too full to even look at the dessert menu so settled up the bill. Including a bottle of wine (NZ Sav Blanc @ €37) the total bill came to €95 which I thought was very good value.

From there, it was only a two minute stroll around the corner for a night cap in The Sheds

A solid 8.5 / 10
    Last edited by Lao Lao; 14-06-15, 14:38.

Leave a comment:

• newbie2
    replied
    Restaurant Name: Pierre Gagnaire

Lococation: Rue de Balzac, Paris

Website: https://www.pierre-gagnaire.com/en#/...aison_Gagnaire

Price Range: €€€€€€€

Michelin Stars: ***

After forking out close to €2000 for a five day holiday for the kids Disneyland Paris, myself and a buddy of mine were given permission to head off for a boozy lunch in Paris on a Wednesday. I was given a carte blanche to organise it co I elected to give this place a go.
    Looking at the menu online, I was somewhat concered that there was no prices associated with the dishes. A sure sign we couldn't afford it. Fuck it.

When we arrived we were greeted by the staff and offered some water as we were led to our table. We had legged it down the Champs-Élysées as we were running late so maybe it looked like we needed some water.

The room was small emough - maybe 30/40 covers max. All but 2 tables were full and this was about 12.45. We had a substantial table for two of us and had plenty of space around us. We were offeered another drink (gin and tonic) and then the waiters arrived with the menus and the set lunch menu. At first glance, I thought I was seeing things but on closer inspection my worst fears were conformed. The cheapest starter on the menu was €160 - yep, €160. The main courses ranged from €270-€380 each. Bugger. The menus were closed and we moved along to the set lunch menu. Prices were a lot more respectable. €85 each or €115 with a glass of wine and a water.

I asked for the wine list and the sommelier brought over a substantial book - about as thick as a bible. To my surprise the wines were very well priced. We went for a 2011 Alphonse Mellot - Satellite Chavignol Sancerre at €103.

To start, we were goven a nice amuse bouche. A selection of savory bites that were arranged on our plate like a piece of art. Very tastey indeed, but no pictures I'm afraid.

Next was the starters - a selection of 5:

Raja Clavata (thornback Ray) skate wing rubbed in hibiscus jelly; celeriac ravioli and lemon flavoured with Colombo - wasn't mad about this the hibiscus was a bit strong

Green crab bisque; eggplant, beef marrow, grated Mimolette Cheese - this was excellent and there was loads of it

Ice-cream Blanche spiced with cardamom served like a lassi. Gariguette strawberry juice - the strawberries tasted like tinned strawberries - it was a bit like a sorbet - nto sure what it was doing there

Raw cooked clam, smoked Legine fish, Castlefranco salad, veil of vegetables - How the fuck can you have a raw cooked clam? - anyway it was very nice

Croustillant of farm chicken, split pea puree - crispy chicken - very nice

For mains it was:

Liver mousseline, cream of salt cod flavoured with parsley chlorophyll, thorny artichokes and flat beans - this just tasted 'green' which is a funny way to expain it but that's the best I could do. The mouseline was lie a poor mans fois gras. Still very nice though

Thin slices of fat duck, sweet onion syrup perfumed with carob molasses. - without a doubt the best thing all day. Absolutly gorgeous

Another bottle of wine...

Finally dessert which came with a 'pre dessert':

Then a selection of desserts:

At €85 euro each, we felt well fed, well watered and completely satisfied. Pierre Gagnaire himself came out of the kitchen and spoke with us. (We had no idea he would be there and were a little starstruck). A really excellent meal - extremely good value.

total bill came to €430. this included 2 bottles of wine, 2 very expensive G&Ts, a coffee and a bottle of water.

Would I go again - in a heartbeat. Although I don't think I tipped them so I mightn't be welcomed back.

9/10 (there's always room for improvement)

Leave a comment:

• DeadParrot
    replied
    Restaurant Name: Ananda

Lococation: Dundrum

Price Range: €€€

I was in the area and decided that a look at the early bird menu would be in order. The menu is brief but I think there should be something for everybody on it.

A generous portion of poppadoms with a selection of 4 different chutneys was our initial offering.

To start I had lamb kebab with red pepper tapenade and some form of mustard relish. This was a generous portion and tasted just right with the perfect amount of heat and spice.

For main I had Old Delhi style chicken with Tikka masala sauce. This was a supreme of chicken sitting in a creamy masala sauce. This was served with rice and naan. Plenty of food and plenty of flavor. Only slight issue was I thought there was a little too much sauce.

I wasn't able for coffee or desert. The whole lot came to €48 for two people and represented decent value.

Setting is very nice, a solid 9/10 there. The staff and service were exceptional and score an easy 10/10. Food was top class and plentiful and surely an 8/10. The price was also very agreeable. All in all there is plenty to recommend about Ananda - if you haven't been then you should go along when you have the chance. I know I will be back before long.
    Ate here last night with herself after a fruitless search for a particular suit in Louis Copelands. I may be hitting up the clothes make the man thread soon in panic mode.
    Anyway, herself saw this place on the telly recently and remembering the comments here I graciously let her choose where we dined.
    Sadly we missed the early bird and were on the al la carte. A brief discussion favored against the €50 a head tasting menu (€85 with wines) and we decided to plow through the menu and get something that we would not usually order from the local take away.

For starters I had;
    Tandoori Jhinga which is Tandoori jumbo prawns, carom, salted lime & avocado Kashimbiri. Absolutely incredible. I honestly cannot remember having a nicer starter. I could rave for days about these, the size, presentation, the taste the complexity of flavours. I was simply unreal and highly recommended.
    SoontobeMrsDP had Vathu Travancore: Duck two ways. Smoked tikka & crisp potted-leg & apple cracker, orange, chilli jam. Again the presentation was top class and given the speed in which is was devoured, I guess she enjoyed the taste. I was left a smidge of smoked tikka and again, taste was top class, I never got a look in at the rest.
    For mains I had Keema Salli Pao: Young Wicklow lamb meat hand pounded with black cardamom, fresh fenugreek & red onion masala, home baked Pao (bread)
    I was a little surprised at this as red onion masala was just diced onion.
    The Pao was delicious, putting me in the mind of brioche buns. After speaking with the waiter, he advised me on putter eating etiquette for this dish (pour in the onion, squeeze the lemon and add the accompanying sweet and hot chillis and just dig in) .
    Tremendous stuff altogether.
    Herself had
    Jardaloo Murgh:
    Free range chicken breast simmered in onion & tomato masala with soaked apricot, salted caramel & straw potatoes with Lemon rice.
    This was expertly done, if a little sweet for my palate but herself enjoyed it until the heat got too much for her sensitive nature. We wrapped it up and brought it home (it will be perfect after a few pints tonight) as in all honestly it was too good to waste.
    For dessert I simply had the petite fours (€3 bargain) as I've not much of a sweet tooth and the lady had
    Rose Kulfi: Rose & flavoured eggless ice cream, Rose gel, Mango meringue, coconut shell
    This was a knockout, a homerun. Possibly the nicest presented dessert I've ever seen and it tasted (the teeniest bit I had) divine. Paula could not stop raving about this and was very close to tears of joy eating it, it was a remarkable thing to witness.
    The petite fours was a small panna cotta, a chocolate ball, a biscotti & a macaroon.
    All well made and presented with my personal fave the panna cotta.
    I had a few tiger beers and herself had a glass of a very serviceable chardonnay during the meal and we fairly rolled out of there happy and sated with a bit for later.
    Total damage was €115 ex tip and we will be back again. I am intrigued by the "ridiculous" monkfish mentioned earlier in the thread.
    Highly recommended.

Leave a comment:

• newbie2
    replied
    Heading here on Wednesday for lunch.

Discover the world of Chef Pierre Gagnaire, his restaurants Pierre Gagnaire, Gaya, Piero, his gift card shop, exceptional products. The meeting place for gastronomes!

First 3 star I've been at so am expecting greatness

Leave a comment:

• Raoul Duke III
    replied
    Broke my rule of going out less often but to better places. Mrs insisted we go out for my birthday. Ended up at Bon Crubeen. Dreadful.
    Adding 'any hipster-looking place' would serve you well too. Mrs D going to The Larder on Fri, saw website and prophesy grave disappointment.

Leave a comment:

• DeadParrot
    replied
    It's a rib-eye by the shape of it? Supposed to be fatty as that's what brings most of the flavour.

I don't know if there's much you can do to 'present' a steak: it's a lump of meat
    It's a Heston Blumenthal place.
    It should look like a perfectly formed mini cow or Woody from Toy Story

Leave a comment:

Working...
X