This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
    My 30th rolls around in March and am thinking about going away with a few mates for it for the weekend, BBV assistance in earmarking some good spots, was thinking something like Barcelona/Prague/Berlin.

Somewhere decent/fun/not overly expensive, fly out Friday and come back maybe on Monday afternoon, few beers Friday & Saturday and if not too butchered on the Sunday take in some of the city's culture.

Any input greatly appreciated folks.
    Talinn Danny. Old Talinn is amazing,drink is cheap and women are stunning.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
      My landlord sent me a letter on Dec 1st telling me that my rent was going up by 10% effective Jan 1st. I obviously ignored it. He has now sent it to me by email so it is harder to ignore.

My move is obviously 'no thanks' but any links to definitive rent trends would be welcome.
      Is your lease up? I presume you've already checked what your lease says regarding rent reviews, how is he able to just unilaterally change your rent like this??

EDIT: My line would certainly be a simple reply to him saying that I don't agree with his increase, I wouldn't be giving him any more info at the first reply.
      Last edited by Ste05; 17-01-12, 21:33.

Comment

Newcastle sign Demba Ba's international colleague Papiss Cisse, can't say I've ever seen him but his goal record in Bundesliga looks very good. Senegal actually have a few prolific goal scorers around Europe, could be big contenders for the African Nations cup especially considering a few of the big boys(Nigeria,Cameroon,SA, Eygpt) failed to qualify.
        Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
          Newcastle sign Demba Ba's international colleague Papiss Cisse, can't say I've ever seen him but his goal record in Bundesliga looks very good. Senegal actually have a few prolific goal scorers around Europe, could be big contenders for the African Nations cup especially considering a few of the big boys(Nigeria,Cameroon,SA, Eygpt) failed to qualify.
          Aye got on them at 12s a few weeks back, they should do well.

Comment

Sigh, talks of him going to Arsenal. Don't like it because he's just another of the Adebayor/Gervinho type mould that worked that worked for the honeymoon period and then just didn't happen

Comment

Originally posted by FeetMagic View Post
              Aye got on them at 12s a few weeks back, they should do well.
              Nice, they're a fair bit shorter now. They seem to have binked a real easy group too so I'd say they've a fair chance of having top goal scorer too.
              Profit before people.

Comment

QQ - can an email response be taking as legally binding as an agreement in a contract?

Comment

Good result for Hughes.
                  This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by davidadams View Post
                    Dokes friend Jono Crute has the 1st oart of his blog up now about his impromptu trip to Detroit

http://www.gawa9.com/

such a hero
                    Hoping part 2 explains "We ask him to Google the address of a Mariott in Detroit in case we get asked that again when we arrive, and also to search for the location of some Amish people anywhere near where we were going"

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                      I didn't sign any lease. afraid of commitment and all that. Ah he is grand, he is from west of Galway.
                      Ahh right, if you're paying €469 less than average as is, and you don't want to sign a lease maybe a 10% increase is OK if he won't budge after telling him no thanks?? Something else to consider as well is that IMO a good landlord is worth holding onto.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Chopper View Post
                        QQ - can an email response be taking as legally binding as an agreement in a contract?
                        As far as I know it can be legally binding unless there is a disclaimer on it one copied and pasted from somewhere

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
                        intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they
                        are addressed. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author, and do not necessarily represent those of XXXXXXXX. . If you have received this email in error please notify the sender. Although XXXXXXXXX Management scans e-mail and attachments for viruses, it does not guarantee that either are virus-free and accepts no liability for any damage sustained as a result of viruses.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Chopper View Post
                          Depends on what type of contract it is, but generally yes.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
                              that tape of the captain of the cruise ship is quite shocking - him there on the lifeboat refusing to get back on the sinking ship
                              Shock horror an italian bottling it when bravery and people, lives were on the line
                              hes a disgrace to his profession.

Comment

Comment

Good point re weather. Had assumed it was summer for some unknown reason. Cheap enough flights though - Dublin-London-Rechiavik (sic)
                                  Certainly a place I would like to visit at some time, just don't know if my mates would be down for it, will just have a look on the ryanair website and see where they fly to.

Regarding booking tickets on it better to book a good bit in advance I take it?
                                  "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by D3kka View Post
                                    Hoping part 2 explains "We ask him to Google the address of a Mariott in Detroit in case we get asked that again when we arrive, and also to search for the location of some Amish people anywhere near where we were going"

He watched the channel 4 series about the Amish recently and is very easily influenced...

Comment

Comment

I think Aer Lingus have a sale on at the moment for European destinations Danny.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary Horney View Post
                                          Yeah it lasted aprox 2 weeks or so, 6 steroids a day and eye drops. I was in no pain during it so it was grand. Just hoping it doesnt come back at some stage in the future. No drink over christmas don't know how i did it .
                                          Good to hear.

I got it xmas 08 the night of the xmas party in my old job. Woke up the morning after not knowing, looked in the mirror and said Jesus i'm never drinking JD again. Rang my mate and said i'm so fucking hungover half my face isn't working. Thought it was funny till my mam walked into the room and nearly started crying saying that i'm having a stroke. I felt grand and thought this is all i fucking need. Straight to A & E (where i have waited for any amount of hours before with broken bones) and they said they would see to me straight away because i have stroke symptoms. At this stage i am shitting myself because although i feel fine, i have never heard of bell's palsy and i didn't know what was going on. After extensive tests they concluded it was bell's palsy and it should be gone in 3 weeks.

Fast forward 3 months and i still have it. I am a really positive person and this got me down big time. You just never think it is going to get better. The worst was explaining to someone who hadn't seen it before. By the end i was just telling people this is what i look like. After 4 months it got better and cleared about 95 percent(i still see it in my face when i'm really tired.

Good to hear you got over it so quickly. Wouldn't wish it upon anyone.

It was no fun looking like this for a few months i tell ya

I did get a funny photo of me and the main man (Doc Karl Kennedy) when i was down in oz. The bell's palsy in full flow.

Comment

Alcatraz - music makes me miss Lost

Comment

Yep. Ideally go and return on a Tuesday through Thursday for the best prices. Worth looking at the Aer Lingus website if it is somewhere like Berlin as they tend to be cheap enough. Think the nearest Ryanair airport to Prague is in somewhere called Altenburg in Germany, so not the handiest!
                                              I don't think my mates can do then times thou will ask thou as when I was looking at prices it certainly was cheaper.

Comment

that tape of the captain of the cruise ship is quite shocking - him there on the lifeboat refusing to get back on the sinking ship

Its a story that really hits the zeitgeist; overprivileged leader turns out to be a clueless cowardly buffon who runs away from his responsibilities trampling on those who had put their lives in his hands.

Why would anyone ever want to go on a cruise Would you want to be locked into a shit three star hotel for a week? why would you pay over the odds for that experience, on a boat?
                                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Was just flicking through Sky Anytime and noticed that the ESPN 30 for 30 documentary on Reggie Miller and his rivalry with the Knicks is on it until Thursday.

Well worth a watch for anyone who hasn't seen it. Miller is an absolute hero, and so clutch in the big games.

Comment

Link?

Comment

Originally posted by max_power View Post
                                                      If you do go to Krakow, don't go to Auswitchtz (sp?) as you're bit of hungover culture. Worst idea ever.
                                                      If you go to Krakow do go to Austwitz imo. Krakow is pretty decent city for a piss up of a week/weekend.

Comment

Here's a player for IPB cricket team ........and only 6yrs old

https://www.facebook.com/pages/MidWe...17622831832879
                                                        http://mayopubpoker.com/

Comment

Danny you should def look into Berlin, Prague and Krakow. All three are excellent cities. I'd also throw Budapest into the mix as well as somewhere not quite as popular but disgustingly cheap that you'd nearly make money out there!

All four cities have plenty of sight seeing options. The concentration camp outside of berlin(1 hour on a train) was just an unreal daunting experience. If you go to Krakow then defo go to Auschwitz. I went there twice in 5 months as I didn't get to visit Birkenau(camp 2) due to bad weather the first time around. If you at all interested in the whole Holocaust era then its a worthy trip.

Berlin has a serious walk tour(4 hours) that gives a great insight into not only the shite that Hilter got up to during WW2 but also other historical events. its a free walking tour in which you can tip the guide afterwards if you feel it was a good tour.

Prague is a stunning city especially for a cunt that likes to take the odd photo

Overall, Berlin would be my choice if you want to combine both drinking scene and sight seeing. But Budapest is/was so cheap 4 years ago.
                                                          NextStopWhoKnows

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface ste View Post
                                                            If you go to Krakow do go to Austwitz imo. Krakow is pretty decent city for a piss up of a week/weekend.
                                                            Not sure about going with a bunch of lads to Austwitz, it is some buzzkill but is worth visiting. Maybe go under more miserable circumstances such as with a wife/ partner.

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                              Is it not very similar to Fringe music too? JJ can't help himself

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                http://www.indiewire.com/article/mee...-play-the-hits

The official trailer for SHUT AND PLAY THE HITS, the music documentary on LCD Soundsystem's last ever gig at Madison Square Gardens. Buy your copy of the DVD...

Opr

it's a camera following some dude about as he talks to people then does a gig.
                                                                Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by The C Kid View Post
                                                                  Was just flicking through Sky Anytime and noticed that the ESPN 30 for 30 documentary on Reggie Miller and his rivalry with the Knicks is on it until Thursday.

Well worth a watch for anyone who hasn't seen it. Miller is an absolute hero, and so clutch in the big games.
                                                                  Nice 1 - used to play/watch a good bit of basketball back in those days. He was great to watch.
                                                                  His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by Megatron View Post
                                                                    Not sure about going with a bunch of lads to Austwitz, it is some buzzkill but is worth visiting. Maybe go under more miserable circumstances such as with a wife/ partner.
                                                                    Didn't find it so. Was pretty interesting and particularly walking round Birkenau. The day we went it was a bit eerie, there was loads of jewish people about the place wearing flags and white jumpers with the star of david balling crying. I think it was some sort of jewish holiday, not sure if the flag/jumper stuff is normal.

Some of the lads alright did take some suspect pictures of themselves at Birenau along the barb wire fences which only saw when back on the bus.... they never saw the light of day again

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                      Just watched it.

Not so sure about the story, gona be the same ding dong every week i fear.

Liked both of Hurleys shout out to the audiance.
                                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

Liked both of Hurleys shout out to the audiance.
                                                                        That was good alright and I'm not even a lost fan. I imagine it is going to get annoying quickly if keeps the exact same format for each ep

Comment

Didn't find it so. Was pretty interesting and particularly walking round Birkenau. The day we went it was a bit eerie, there was loads of jewish people about the place wearing flags and white jumpers with the star of david balling crying. I think it was some sort of jewish holiday, not sure if the flag/jumper stuff is normal.

Some of the lads alright did take some suspect pictures of themselves at Birenau along the barb wire fences which only saw when back on the bus.... they never saw the light of day again
                                                                          I was in Krakow on a stag weekend and we went on the trip. The place was fascinating but the horrors that went on defo had an effect on the group we went from having a laugh on the bus on the way out to just sitting quietly on the way back .

But then again we would be a sensitive lot up this direction.

Some of it is so eerie the room full of hair and the furnaces particularly stand out. It was full of Jewish People the day I was there too again they we are walking about crying.

Comment

Really do not get JJ Abrams popularity, think he's extremely average. Most of his work follows a very similar formulae usually with very unsatisfying endings.
                                                                            Profit before people.

Comment

My Grandfather was in Austwitz, as a prisioner, seemingly he was a player in the Danish resistance, smuggling jews across to Sweden. Father told me he was never the same after he was released.

Remember one story my dad telling me, he was woken one night with the holster of a gun brushing off his face as his room was being searched during the occupation of Denmark, he never liked them Germans after that.

Speaking of dodgy Captains, father was a Chief engineer in the merchant navy, after serving his time in the Royal Danish Navy, anyways, there was an odd auld captain who went overboard one night around Australia, seeingly he fell...wasnt pushed, thats the story he told anyways...lol
                                                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

Ship Galway ticket 2nd attempt, islander binked to.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                                    Really do not get JJ Abrams popularity, think he's extremely average. Most of his work follows a very similar formulae usually with very unsatisfying endings.
                                                                                    Hated Lost, really like Fringe altho its falling apart now in its 4th season really. Star Trek was great, Super 8 was awful.

Comment

Hated Lost, really like Fringe altho its falling apart now in its 4th season really. Star Trek was great, Super 8 was awful.
                                                                                      Hated is such a strong word !

Lost was fantastic, for what it was. It gave so many WTF moments never seen before on TV, I would go as far as groundbreaking with the story, some may dislike the way it ended, felt it dragged a bit in the middle but in all the episodes there was rarely a filler imo. Solid entertainment.
                                                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

@Silver Tiger

Yeah I was one of the lucky ones it seems. I had a cold for two weeks which i couldn't shrug off by the end of the two weeks I was feeling a bit better and was out having a bit to eat. Couldn't taste the food said it to the gf that I'd have look into it if it was the same the next day. Next day I woke up and thought I was having a stroke but felt fine. Quick google of the symptoms and found bells palsy so i was a little relieved. My face just wouldn't work on my right hand side(smiling, blinking, loss of taste, slurring words). Where you in much pain during it? the only thing that annoyed me was my eye being either too dry or too wet.

Glad to hear you are over it man a few months must have been rough.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                          Hated is such a strong word !
                                                                                          Perhaps, disliked immensely Lost just really annoyed me, gave up after 1 season. I remember my sister was a huge fan but I think by Season 3 or 4 she was fed up with it.

Comment

Super 8 might have been the worst movie of last year. It's absolutely horrendous. Even Coach Taylor couldn't save it from being an awful, unoriginal, masterbation homage to Spielberg.

Attack The Block was a millions times better using essentially the same story line.

Comment

I was in Krakow on a stag weekend and we went on the trip. The place was fascinating but the horrors that went on defo had an effect on the group we went from having a laugh on the bus on the way out to just sitting quietly on the way back .

But then again we would be a sensitive lot up this direction.

Some of it is so eerie the room full of hair and the furnaces particularly stand out. It was full of Jewish People the day I was there too again they we are walking about crying.
                                                                                              Myself, max_power and a few other lads went when we were inter-railing. We were 19 and travelling for a month, so obviously a lot of laughs and jokes had been picked up along the way.

One such joke my pronunciation of the word 'vegetable.' The lads had been ripping the piss out of me for pronouncing it with an extra syllable, so that I said 'veg-e-ta-bel' instead of 'veg-ta-bel.'

Half-way through the tour, the guide starts talking about the food they had to survive in the camp, and says that they had to grow their own 'veg-e-ta-bels.'

I've never seen a group of people trying harder not to laugh in my life, in quite possibly the most inappropriate place possible.

Comment

Nice positioning of the competition...

Comment

For MMA fans, I see Munnoz is out of the Chael Sonnen fight cos of injury. Bisping is stepping up to top the bill. Can't see that one lasting too long now. At least Sonnen can launch into the smack talk now as he wasn't with Munnoz.

Comment

Originally posted by The C Kid View Post
                                                                                                    Super 8 might have been the worst movie of last year. It's absolutely horrendous. Even Coach Taylor couldn't save it from being an awful, unoriginal, masterbation homage to Spielberg.

Attack The Block was a millions times better using essentially the same story line.
                                                                                                    I'd never trust the film taste or opinions of someone who actually enjoyed Super 8. Wouldn't go as far as worst film of the year, most over-rated for sure though.
                                                                                                    Profit before people.

Comment

Certainly a place I would like to visit at some time, just don't know if my mates would be down for it, will just have a look on the ryanair website and see where they fly to.

Regarding booking tickets on it better to book a good bit in advance I take it?
                                                                                                      I went to dusseldorf on a stag recently, really cool city to go on the beer, they have an are called the altstadt that is your temple bar loads of pubs scenario.

We did a beer bike tour, where ten of us sat on stools on this cart and pedaled while a tour guide showed us the sights and the pedal power pumped german beer for us. Ended up extremely messy.

FHA air do regular lights and it's only two hours.

Comment

FHA air = ryanair got autocorrected

Comment

For MMA fans, I see Munnoz is out of the Chael Sonnen fight cos of injury. Bisping is stepping up to top the bill. Can't see that one lasting too long now. At least Sonnen can launch into the smack talk now as he wasn't with Munnoz.
                                                                                                          they should let dan henderson and sonnen fight b a gud 1, hendo turned down little nog and dana white isnt happy with him

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Harper View Post
                                                                                                            they should let dan henderson and sonnen fight b a gud 1, hendo turned down little nog and dana white isnt happy with him
                                                                                                            That Little Nog fight really doesn't make sense to me, wouldn't mean much if either won. Henderson Sonnen would be a big draw but imagine Hendo would have to put in a lot of training and no time now

Comment

My 30th rolls around in March and am thinking about going away with a few mates for it for the weekend, BBV assistance in earmarking some good spots, was thinking something like Barcelona/Prague/Berlin.

Somewhere decent/fun/not overly expensive, fly out Friday and come back maybe on Monday afternoon, few beers Friday & Saturday and if not too butchered on the Sunday take in some of the city's culture.

Any input greatly appreciated folks.

i vote Barca/Riga/Munich, though havent been to Tallin. Was in Berlin a few times and while had a great time and obviously some very interesting sites there i cant see it being great for a lads weekend away.

Never had a bad time in Barca, great party + culture city..
                                                                                                              Riga is great fun, women are ridic hot
                                                                                                              Munich is great boozin city, with all the old style brewing houses, nice looking city too

Comment

That Little Nog fight really doesn't make sense to me, wouldn't mean much if either won. Henderson Sonnen would be a big draw but imagine Hendo would have to put in a lot of training and no time now
                                                                                                                he seems to keep himself in shape,that bisping is a joke,terrified of getten hit

Comment

Originally posted by Mary Horney View Post
                                                                                                                  @Silver Tiger

Yeah I was one of the lucky ones it seems. I had a cold for two weeks which i couldn't shrug off by the end of the two weeks I was feeling a bit better and was out having a bit to eat. Couldn't taste the food said it to the gf that I'd have look into it if it was the same the next day. Next day I woke up and thought I was having a stroke but felt fine. Quick google of the symptoms and found bells palsy so i was a little relieved. My face just wouldn't work on my right hand side(smiling, blinking, loss of taste, slurring words). Where you in much pain during it? the only thing that annoyed me was my eye being either too dry or too wet.

Glad to hear you are over it man a few months must have been rough.
                                                                                                                  No pain bar the aches the steroids were giving me a few months in. Bloated up pretty bad on them. The eye thing was annoying. Taped it shut for the first few weeks at night then just left it bar eye drops. it was real dry and scaldy in the morning and what felt like a constant tear for the rest of the day. Nightmare. That was the last thing to leave.

Comment

help from anyone that uses skrill/moneybookers please.....whats the average time it takes for a withdrawal to process to your visa/debit card,have an ulster bank visa debit card, it'll be 2 weeks tomorrow for me, have contacted them and they say its nothing on their side. contacted the bank and they said it could take up to 30 days!!! i'm going to start using this a good bit, is there any way to speed the whole process up?
                                                                                                                    Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Ah Danny you were looking for suggestions, missed that. Barca is excellent, good nightlife, great food and lots to see and do during the day. Amsterdam obviously is always good craic. Still haven't been to Germany but a mate moving to Dresden soon so may get the chance to head there or Prague, will report back if good

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Four of a Kind View Post
                                                                                                                          Danny you should def look into Berlin, Prague and Krakow. All three are excellent cities. I'd also throw Budapest into the mix as well as somewhere not quite as popular but disgustingly cheap that you'd nearly make money out there!

All four cities have plenty of sight seeing options. The concentration camp outside of berlin(1 hour on a train) was just an unreal daunting experience. If you go to Krakow then defo go to Auschwitz. I went there twice in 5 months as I didn't get to visit Birkenau(camp 2) due to bad weather the first time around. If you at all interested in the whole Holocaust era then its a worthy trip.

Berlin has a serious walk tour(4 hours) that gives a great insight into not only the shite that Hilter got up to during WW2 but also other historical events. its a free walking tour in which you can tip the guide afterwards if you feel it was a good tour.

Prague is a stunning city especially for a cunt that likes to take the odd photo

Overall, Berlin would be my choice if you want to combine both drinking scene and sight seeing. But Budapest is/was so cheap 4 years ago.
                                                                                                                          I have been leaning towards Berlin but am certainly not opposed to other ideas, had a look at some Tallinn stuff after Kev posted about it, gonna be 4/5 of us so trying to get them to commit to something might be a little troublesome but hopefully we will do it, I didn't have a 21st just had a few mates around my house drinking so would love to do something good for this birthday plus would like to travel a little more than I have and see a few sights.

Doubt I could do the holocaust camp highly likely hood that I would be hungover so I don't think I would be able to grasp the gravity of the place and embrace what it is and what it represents.

Not sure if I would bring my DSLR with me probably just my pocket camera.

Cheers folks for all the input you be legends keep it coming, how are the cities you all mention pricewise want to have a good time without getting gouged.

Is it not very similar to Fringe music too? JJ can't help himself
                                                                                                                          Think its the one guy that does all that Michael Giacchino.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X