Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How have the 'Big Wedding' industry managed to so completely brainwash both the Women of Ireland and the lilly livered saps who don't stand up for sanity
    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
      the average would be over €20k actually....(speaking from experience, sounds about right)
      It's madness, personally I couldn't be dealing with that.

We did everything, from engagement ring to honeymoon, and everything in between for far less than that.

Two days after our wedding a good friend of mine got married, turned out afterwards that his reception came to €35k on it's own
      Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
        It's horrible sitting around waiting for our department to be done tomorrow. Just want it to be over at this stage.
        good luck bohsman run good! what dept are you out there?

I know it's hard for all working there but there's also a load of other indirect employment going to be lost from both this place and others. The company i work for provide the waste service's for both Pocket kings and the building that some of the Avia work is in, We're not goin to lose the jobs over it but it is a nasty enough sting to the company. With places like these with a lot of stuff outsourced there's going to be more jobs lost that will never hit the papers!

Comment

Originally posted by A_CitizenErased View Post
          Is Michael D Higgins value at 11/10?
          I think so,he is very transfer friendly that could carry him over the l

www.irishkop.com Twitter = @Irish_Kop Facebook = Irishkop.com

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Registry office and back room of a bar for me. bring your own instruments.
              Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

even for one of my reactionary ways, this is too much

create an appropriate sentencing framework and get on with it
                There really is an appropriate sentencing framework in place. Numerous studies have shown that when people are given all of the same information as the judge they tend to give sentences pretty close to those actually handed down. The problem is that matters tend to be reported focusing on all the aggravating circumstances and rarely taking the mitigating factors into account.

Something like the dangerous driving causing death issue has absolutely nothing to do with judges by the way. The DPP choose the indictments and the Oireachtas set the penalties in the Road Traffic Act 1961 (as amended), Section 53 (2)(a).
                You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                  How have the 'Big Wedding' industry managed to so completely brainwash both the Women of Ireland and the lilly livered saps who don't stand up for sanity
                  anything for a quiet life

I think we had 140 at ours (after quite a bit of downward negotiation with various female parties ) and it cost in the region of 20k. Nice hotel, nice meal, good band and DJ - nothing completely over the top. It was the add-ons that were more mind-boggling than the 'big stuff'; the price of photographers is insane. Would imagine things have come down a fair bit since those Tiger days.
                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
                      How would that average €20k bill be paid? Father of the bride / personal savings / made back in presents cash?
                      don't think anyone really expects the bride's family to spring for the wedding anymore!

Comment

Comment

Slightly exceptional circumstances here, but we spent about €400 and ended up with quite a bit of cash in the bank to help pay for Lily's stuff. In fairness, couldn't even afford new shoes for the event, so that was about the limit of what we could stretch to! You'd think that should be how it is though; almost like a last big present to the couple to set them up for their life together.

How would that average €20k bill be paid? Father of the bride / personal savings / made back in presents cash?
                          we got married in 2003 boom times, 200 for the sit down , we had our house already bought and told everyone we wanted money as we had everything we needed in the house.

OOh I remember sitting on the bed in the hotel room and every card we opened had 200 quid in it, I barely read who the cards were from just kept throwing the money in the air, it was very like the scene from Indecent Proposal

My close friends and family paid for things like the Band, punchbowel reception nibbles etc, Dj.

My cousin who was my bridesmaid was chef in Dundrum house hotel where we got married at the time and we got loads of reductions and freebies, was a great day.

went on honeymoon and blew an absolute fortune, even bought furniture and had to get it shipped home.
                          Her sky-ness
                          © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                            Heritage in Laois?
                            Yep that's the one
                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Would you have been down from that €20k then after present money? (assuming not too personal a question! just curious really)
                              oh yes, I don't think anyone gets married expecting to make a profit on the day

Comment

A thought occurred to me (I know, few and far between)

Anyone reckon Dana slashed her own tyres in a Crash sense?

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                  People probably terrified to be associated with the death, not condoning but I couldn't be too harsh on them as you'd never know how youd react in such a situation.
                                  Eh i can be 99.999% sure that i'd run over broken glass in my bare feet if i saw a baby getting run over by a lorry and people were walking past ignoring it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                    exactly, typically the father of the groom has to stump up half of it.
                                    having two daughters may not have been the smartest move so

will just have to make sure I'm busto by then

Smullen beaten into second in the last, how unfortunate

Comment

Comment

Barbeque back in the house ftw! Maybe I'm trying to retrospectively justify my own appallingly badly organised wedding, but find it shocking that people would contemplate spending maybe €10k (or more?) on a party for other people.
                                        It literally is vomit inducing.
                                        I'm still trying to work on doing the whole shebang in warmer climes which would cost a fraction of the price.

Hotel circa €55-85 per person
                                        DJ
                                        Band
                                        Cake
                                        Suits
                                        Dress
                                        Fucking Table Clothes & Chair Covers
                                        Backdrop
                                        Centerpiece
                                        Cars
                                        Church/Civil charges
                                        Those little gifts for each table
                                        Table Setting layout thing
                                        Invites
                                        Photographer
                                        it just goes on and on....

The whole industry is a con
                                        I'd consider myself very lucky to get away with 10K
                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Kind of at back of head at moment as daughter has just started smiling. I'm there thinking 'ffs, how am I ever going to be able to say no to that smile?!'

use a combination of onenote and Powerpoint. She'll have given up interest by the time you get to the star wipe final slide.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                            I'll do it 10% cheaper for ye.

Comment

anything for a quiet life

I think we had 140 at ours (after quite a bit of downward negotiation with various female parties ) and it cost in the region of 20k. Nice hotel, nice meal, good band and DJ - nothing completely over the top. It was the add-ons that were more mind-boggling than the 'big stuff'; the price of photographers is insane. Would imagine things have come down a fair bit since those Tiger days.
                                              Wedding cakes are a massive price to, We looked price people would trying to charge like1100euro's and stuff, worst thing is all the cake's i tried all tasted like shit, In the end we went and built our own friend made the top we bought a sweet cream cake forthe middle and a standard wedding cake on the bottom trey.... all bought for like 225euro

Weddings price's are f'ing redic, I think it come's down to people having been at a friends wwedding they have to out them kind of attiude and it just keeps going!!

Comment

Any link to one of those studies? Heard it before and find that type of research fascinating.
                                                Just to give some context to the subject here is the Law Reform Commission's Consultation Paper on Sentencing

There are some excellent studies available that I can't link to but this study from the Australian Institute of Criminology is fairly interesting. Obviously people disagree mostly on sex crimes but overall it's a positive outcome for the judges if you ask me and Australia would have a very comparable system to our own.

Comment

Cars
                                                  we arrived by boat (free too)

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                    Eh i can be 99.999% sure that i'd run over broken glass in my bare feet if i saw a baby getting run over by a lorry and people were walking past ignoring it.
                                                    Everyone is a hero in the hypothetical! Most if not all the people walking by in the video didn't actually see her getting run over, they just passed her by in the few minutes afterwards.

If I turned a corner and saw a man with a dieing child in his hands I'd at least suspect him a little, anyone would. You're definitely putting yourself in a vunerable position helping this kid, so as cold as it sounds I kind of understand how people would choose to ignore it in the heat of the moment even though I think I would have personally helped.
                                                    Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                      Actually, while I am sure you're being 100% honest in that belief, there's pretty good evidence in "Good Samaritan" tests (and paramedics will back this up) that the more people that are around you when you get hurt the less likely someone is to help you.

2-3 people is the nut size of a crowd to be around. Anymore than that and you get differed responsibility.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDrunkenOne View Post
                                                        I just cant hack it no more. Fry, sweet tea and stand outside having a couple smokes, still feked so i'm going back to bed now.
                                                        wife thought i had died but just woke up there to disappoint her ....feeling good now

Comment

we arrived by boat (free too)
                                                          Romantic

Comment

I also find it hilarious that some of the features mentioned of certain hotels include;
                                                            use of microphone and use of cake stand/knife.
                                                            Like that's a big fucking deal

GTFO

Comment

Originally posted by TheDrunkenOne View Post
                                                              wife thought i had died but just woke up there to disappoint her ....feeling good now
                                                              Dr. Zodington prescribes 6 tables hi/lo omaha.
                                                              Start on the vodka also.

Comment

I'm still trying to work on doing the whole shebang in warmer climes which would cost a fraction of the price.

Hotel Real good restaurant circa €40-60 per person including wine
                                                                DJ iPod
                                                                Band make friends with a few musicians and a trad session group
                                                                Cake Who the fuck eats cake at a wedding these days?
                                                                Suits As long as they aren't fancy dress your fine
                                                                Dress - OK we'll let her have that
                                                                Fucking Table Clothes & Chair Covers GTFO
                                                                Backdrop
                                                                Centerpiece WTF
                                                                Cars
                                                                Church/Civil charges
                                                                Those little gifts for each table GTFO but can be done better and with panache for free with a bit of imagination
                                                                Invites See gifts above... if invites are costing more than €1 each there is something hideously wrong
                                                                Photographer Hire someone competent for two hours one at the ceremony and one afterwards

Consultancy fee to follow
                                                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Romantic
                                                                  pfft, I'd expect Raul and the missus arrived in a yacht straight out of a Spandau Ballet video.

Comment

DJ
                                                                    Band either the DJ will know a good band or the band will know a good DJ, Just get a standard band as they'll be just singing standard wedding songs!
                                                                    Cake should also get cake stand for free, my sister got married in the good time's and she spent close to 12k, 8 of which went to the hotel - cheek of them to charge for a stand and a knife WTF
                                                                    Suits cant help - obv rent suit though
                                                                    Dress standard shit load of money unless u get lucky
                                                                    Fucking Table Clothes & Chair Covers should get for free
                                                                    Backdrop
                                                                    Centerpiece Hotel should have a good deal on these with the people they use normally, then demand lower
                                                                    Cars I Know some people both around portlaoise and dublin and i could get you some price's, One guy has a bentley (new shape which is nice)
                                                                    Church/Civil charges
                                                                    Those little gifts for each table No gifts, sure aren;t they getting fed for feck sake
                                                                    Table Setting layout thing this should be free suppplied by the hotel
                                                                    Invites Email lol,
                                                                    Photographer check out borad's photo area loads of people up there looking for work and you can pick up some good photographer

See above, key is just keep jamming down the price's and dont either of you get attached to paticular band or phtographer etc

also it's your day enjoy dont give a fcuk what everone else thinks or wants

ps keep parents out of it they ended up costing me 10k FML

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                                                      pfft, I'd expect Raul and the missus arrived in a yacht straight out of a Spandau Ballet video.
                                                                      I don't know the difference between various types of boat, it was a friend's boat and he dropped us off at the hotel's jetty (Radisson in Athlone) with all our guests standing out on the balcony waving and drinkin'. Was pretty cool.

Comment

gifts at the table my hole.

Packet of Rolos in a bowl and the free Paddy Power wedding bet kits.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                          Was it in the village itself or back towards the Maherees?

If it was in the village it was probably Natterjacks, if it was outside it was probably Spillanes, which has to be one of the greatest places in the world to spend a sunny evening.

EDIT: Google Streetview is the stone cold nuts!
                                                                          Spillanes !!

Actually, now that i remember, we were walking back to the B&B that night/morning and I have never seen a sky like it before, must have been a mixture of being out on a penninsulla and the lack of lights that made for the greatest night sky i have ever seen !!

It would be worth it to go down there again just to see that stary sky again.
                                                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                            Just to give some context to the subject here is the Law Reform Commission's Consultation Paper on Sentencing

There are some excellent studies available that I can't link to but this study from the Australian Institute of Criminology is fairly interesting. Obviously people disagree mostly on sex crimes but overall it's a positive outcome for the judges if you ask me and Australia would have a very comparable system to our own.
                                                                            They actually released the updated version of the study this year:

http://www.aic.gov.au/documents/A/B/7/{AB703D46-E913-4384-B3DB-646DC27EF2D3}tandi407.pdf

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                .
                                                                                Consultancy fee to follow
                                                                                Whilst the ideas proposed in your newsletter are worth subscribing to, I'm afraid you are targetting the wrong demographic.
                                                                                Trying to pull a no cake, no dj, no photographer etc wedding, would not be worth my life.

Comment

Can anyone transfer me €22 on Boyles?

I'll transfer the same to you on Paddy Power. I'll send first

Comment

Originally posted by pgodkin View Post
                                                                                    See above, key is just keep jamming down the price's and dont either of you get attached to paticular band or phtographer etc

also it's your day enjoy dont give a fcuk what everone else thinks or wants

ps keep parents out of it they ended up costing me 10k FML
                                                                                    cheers.
                                                                                    we seem to be doing everything wrong.
                                                                                    Wedding band of choice is
                                                                                    Like So Totally The Ultimate Band

Comment

cheers.
                                                                                      we seem to be doing everything wrong.
                                                                                      Wedding band of choice is
                                                                                      http://www.smashhits.ie/
                                                                                      They are fantastic.

I think you are similar in age to me and if so you will love them! Every memorable 90's tune covered.

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
                                                                                        They are fantastic.

I think you are similar in age to me and if so you will love them! Every memorable 90's tune covered.
                                                                                        Saw them at the taste of dublin last year and they were excellent.
                                                                                        Decision was made there and then, they were the wedding band.

Comment

DJ
                                                                                          Band
                                                                                          Cake
                                                                                          Suits
                                                                                          Dress
                                                                                          Fucking Table Clothes & Chair Covers
                                                                                          Backdrop
                                                                                          Centerpiece
                                                                                          Cars
                                                                                          Church/Civil charges
                                                                                          Those little gifts for each table
                                                                                          Invites
                                                                                          Photographer

Those meals are way overpriced DP! 40 quid a head is above average but then again we are looking at local prices.

For the cake, M&S do them and get some lovely ribbon to match the bridesmaids dress colour and a decoration for the top and stick it on the hotels cake stand. Costs about £110 for a 3 layer cake.

Shop about for music. Go to wedding fayres at hotels as you get to see what they offer.

I gave your missus a great budget calculator site. You don't have to spend a fortune to have a nice wedding. You can do it at a good price without going tacky.

As for who pays. Long gone are the days when either parents pay up! it is usually down to the couple these days.

I told your missus as well that I travelled to Scotland for my wedding dress and going back for the bridesmaids dresses as they are 200% cheaper there for the bridesmaid dresses alone. Don't be buying ANY thing in Dublin and if she wants some ideas tell her to message me

Comment

Should organise an IPB poker weekend for Castlegregory! About 20 people will fit in the hostel for about a tenner a night and the rest can be scattered around B&Bs / stranded on the beach. A weekend of a few different live games, but mainly epic beering.
                                                                                            Kills me to say it but kerry really is a nice place.

The wifes birthday in 2 weeks and i booked us a break in the Sneem hotel down there, I dont think I have ever drove the ring of kerry !

don't think anyone really expects the bride's family to spring for the wedding anymore!
                                                                                            I told her dad I was old fashioned like that, i even asked for her dowry up front.
                                                                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                                              Those meals are way overpriced DP! 40 quid a head is above average but then again we are looking at local prices.

For the cake, M&S do them and get some lovely ribbon to match the bridesmaids dress colour and a decoration for the top and stick it on the hotels cake stand. Costs about £110 for a 3 layer cake.

Shop about for music. Go to wedding fayres at hotels as you get to see what they offer.

I gave your missus a great budget calculator site. You don't have to spend a fortune to have a nice wedding. You can do it at a good price without going tacky.

As for who pays. Long gone are the days when either parents pay up! it is usually down to the couple these days.

I told your missus as well that I travelled to Scotland for my wedding dress and going back for the bridesmaids dresses as they are 200% cheaper there for the bridesmaid dresses alone. Don't be buying ANY thing in Dublin and if she wants some ideas tell her to message me
                                                                                              £11.50/plate...but that was 1998.
                                                                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

surely if you invite enough people you will make it back in wedding presents. Myself and herself have been to a lot of weddings lately and the standard is €200 a pop. Just invite shit loads of people = profit?

Comment

Buskers.

Generally, rule one of busking is to do something that entertains the maximum number of people who will walk past you, and entertain them enough to give you a few coins.

You can do this by playing crowd pleasing hits or doing something ordiary in an extraordinary way

Today I watched a proto-funk two piece playing a 20 minute long jam session on bass and drums to a bunch of bewildered tourists at the bottom of Grafton Street.

Some people may like Rush-esque proto jazz-funk explorations, but they are the few and far between and unlikely to be passing by Grafton St at lunchtime.

I actually felt more likely to critique them in a piece for the Dubliner than give them spare change.

Plus, they weren't great and the Basist had a 5 string which immediately marked him out as a show off.

Comment

The Heritage is a lovely hotel but the food service and quality was very poor just fyi. 'No sir, you may only have the toasted sandwiches which are on the menu, you can't choose your own combination of fillings' in a 5 star hotel?! GTFO!

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                                      The Heritage is a lovely hotel but the food service and quality was very poor just fyi. 'No sir, you may only have the toasted sandwiches which are on the menu, you can't choose your own combination of fillings' in a 5 star hotel?! GTFO!
                                                                                                      Translates to "Nobody's about to make a fresh sandwich to toast and we had a backlog of sandwiches ready to toast from yesterday"

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                                        Kills me to say it but kerry really is a nice place.

The wifes birthday in 2 weeks and i booked us a break in the Sneem hotel down there, I dont think I have ever drove the ring of kerry !
                                                                                                        Scenic drives in Kerry can be compared to Oasis, with the Ring of Kerry being Liam - the mouthy, flashy one that everyone always hears about - while the Slea Head Drive being like Noel, the one anybody who knows anything knows is the real jewel in the crown.

Liam is still class though obv.

I've yet to come across anywhere as aesthetically incredible as Kerry, and wouldn't be too surprised if I never do.
                                                                                                        Last edited by Keane; 19-10-11, 16:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                          Scenic drives in Kerry can be compared to Oasis, with the Ring of Kerry being Liam - the mouthy, flashy one that everyone always hears about - while the [urlhttp://www.dingle-peninsula.ie/sleahead.html]Slea Head Drive[/url] being like Noel, the one anybody who knows anything knows is the real jewel in the crown.

Liam is still class though obv.

I've yet to come across anywhere as aesthetically incredible as Kerry, and wouldn't be too surprised if I never do.
                                                                                                          Cant beat Dingle / Slea Head.

Spend as much time there as I can.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
                                                                                                            surely if you invite enough people you will make it back in wedding presents. Myself and herself have been to a lot of weddings lately and the standard is €200 a pop. Just invite shit loads of people = profit?
                                                                                                            no you dont not even close!

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                              Cant beat Dingle / Slea Head.

Spend as much time there as I can.

yep great spot alright, i have done the Circuit of Kerry Stages Rally a few times there
                                                                                                              one of the best i have done.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                                                                Everyone is a hero in the hypothetical! Most if not all the people walking by in the video didn't actually see her getting run over, they just passed her by in the few minutes afterwards.

If I turned a corner and saw a man with a dieing child in his hands I'd at least suspect him a little, anyone would. You're definitely putting yourself in a vunerable position helping this kid, so as cold as it sounds I kind of understand how people would choose to ignore it in the heat of the moment even though I think I would have personally helped.
                                                                                                                I remember sometime last year coming out of college waiting at the bus stop. I seen this old man and woman across the road. Woman was at least 90 and the old man in his 70's, anyway next thing I know the old lady fainted but came down right on her face hard. Before I knew it I was running across the road which looking back on it is silly cause I have zero medical training or know how. I managed to get to the old lady before who a later found out was her son.

I bent down and the lady was covered in blood. She was woozy from the fall and her medication and didn't know what happened. The son seemed shocked and didn't know what to do. I told him to ring an ambulance while I tried to help the old lady. I seen she couldn't breathe and noticed blood clots where getting stuck in her throat so I had to get them out with my hand(not a nice feeling but had to be done) The son then said lift her on her feet. I told him not to, that she might have unknown injuries and that slipping may jacket under her head is the most we should do till the ambulance arrives.

I spend the next 30 minutes wiping blood from this womans face and pulling blood cloths out whenever she needs to. And I know what your thinking, why the fuck did she bleed for that long. She took to much of her blood thining meds before leaving and that's why she fainted. The son stood there like a useless plank.

TL DR. I helped a stranger when I didn't have to and would do it again.

Comment

Originally posted by MegaSin View Post
                                                                                                                  I remember sometime last year coming out of college waiting at the bus stop. I seen this old man and woman across the road. Woman was at least 90 and the old man in his 70's, anyway next thing I know the old lady fainted but came down right on her face hard. Before I knew it I was running across the road which looking back on it is silly cause I have zero medical training or know how. I managed to get to the old lady before who a later found out was her son.

I bent down and the lady was covered in blood. She was woozy from the fall and her medication and didn't know what happened. The son seemed shocked and didn't know what to do. I told him to ring an ambulance while I tried to help the old lady. I seen she couldn't breathe and noticed blood clots where getting stuck in her throat so I had to get them out with my hand(not a nice feeling but had to be done) The son then said lift her on her feet. I told him not to, that she might have unknown injuries and that slipping may jacket under her head is the most we should do till the ambulance arrives.

I spend the next 30 minutes wiping blood from this womans face and pulling blood cloths out whenever she needs to. And I know what your thinking, why the fuck did she bleed for that long. She took to much of her blood thining meds before leaving and that's why she fainted. The son stood there like a useless plank.

TL DR. I helped a stranger when I didn't have to and would do it again.
                                                                                                                  solid brag wp!

Comment

anyone know if you can do player transfer on winamax i might do a stake later if i can?

Comment

Is that market on Betfair, GAB?

Comment

Originally posted by pgodkin View Post
                                                                                                                        solid brag wp!
                                                                                                                        Was really odd cause I was on auto-pilot. Doing those things without even thinking about it. Was a very sureal moment.

Comment

if she was on thinners how was her blood clotting?

hmmm... tell the truth, you mugged her, didn't you?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X