This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
    Seeing as we had some Kate Upton confusion yesterday here is some of her pics, I know zuutroy will like this
    You're on fire tonight Danny, keep them coming.
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act, but a habit.

Comment

Cliffs on all of this what are you trying to say?
      Shatter wants to have the power to reduce judges' wages.

Government should NEVER have this power.

Consider how you might vote if the proposed wording for the referendum isn't changed to allow for an independent body to set wages.
      You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
      World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Just noticed there that there were 62 members currently active even though it didn't look like it from the list of names so I counted them and there were 31 which means 31 are hidden. I'm one of those, did it for the werewolf thing but I'm surprised there are so many.
        'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

Cliffs on all of this what are you trying to say?
          Let an 'independent' body set judges pay rates, not the government.

And yes, I put 'independent' in quotation marks as I have questions about who exactly would staff such a body.
          Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

In theaters now! Purchase tickets online @ http://www.fandango.com/riseoftheplanetoftheapes_135719/movieoverview----------------http://www.facebook.com/apesw...

This is hilarious!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
              Hot damn!
              Bring me back a Red Sox fridge magnet?

Originally posted by dannydiamond View Post
              You're on fire tonight Danny, keep them coming.
              Cheers boss.

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
              Shatter wants to have the power to reduce judges' wages.

Government should NEVER have this power.

Consider how you might vote if the proposed wording for the referendum isn't changed to allow for an independent body to set wages.
              Who are they saving money for? I can imagine being a judge is difficult and tough judge but seeing first hand some of the stuff that they dish out and then let other stuff slide kinda wrecks my head and some are fucking power trip freaks.

Should also say I don't really care in general about a judges wages.
              "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

if the judiciary get a rise, who determines when and how much they would get currently?

Comment

Bring me back a Red Sox fridge magnet?
                  I'm afraid not. All they seemed to have was cups!

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                    "I voted No by mistake, and hope that it can be rectified in September."
                    WP love, WP. Fingers crossed that Norris will have given up or got his 4 councils by then eh?

Her name was Hildegard Naughton I think, should be running a 50000 acre estate somewhere surely.
                    Can imagine this was Phil Hogans reaction earlier

Malcolm Tucker (Peter Capaldi) gets some bad news and wants you to know just how angry he is.(The Thick of it - season 3, episode 2)

Comment

Originally posted by eagle eye View Post
                      Just noticed there that there were 62 members currently active even though it didn't look like it from the list of names so I counted them and there were 31 which means 31 are hidden. I'm one of those, did it for the werewolf thing but I'm surprised there are so many.
                      Out of the 62 members on just there, I counted 29 hidden (with a * beside their name as I see it, not invisible to admins, not sure about mods).

Being hidden is a trick I learned years ago as a mod so that if there was something I couldn't be arsed dealing with, no one would know I was online.

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                        Let an 'independent' body set judges pay rates, not the government.

And yes, I put 'independent' in quotation marks as I have questions about who exactly would staff such a body.
                        if the judiciary get a rise, who determines when and how much they would get currently?
                        Yeah the nature of the independent body would be important.

The Government can increase them by Act of the Oireachtas only. It's not wholly comparable to say "well if they can raise them why can't they lower them?" although I accept the general point.

Really it's about keeping government control over the judiciary to an absolute minimum and particularly control over their personal emolument. He who holds the purse strings calls the tune after all. The threat of reduced wages should never be in the Governments control. It doesn't matter if they'd never do anything with the power, it matters that they could.

Comment

How many judges is that have refused to accept voluntary pay cuts in line with cuts across the Public Service?
                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

without trying to be too much of a capitalist pig.

Not a chance

red tape, bureaucracy, nepotism, old boys club etc etc I'm afraid.

Country is set to be brought to its knees, we need to find every penny we can in savings, and if that means taking from people who've worked hard, then that's unfortunate, but the flipside is not really being a country at all.

Comment

why can't the judiciary take a voluntary 10% pay cut and take the wind out of Shatter's sails?

Comment

Originally posted by RasTa
                                I've added the new
                                I'm very excited!
                                I thought:

1. The first rule of the "place" is you do not speak of the place.
                                2. The second rule of the "place" is you do not speak of the place.

Is this still not the case?

Comment

Yeah the nature of the independent body would be important.

The Government can increase them by Act of the Oireachtas only. It's not wholly comparable to say "well if they can raise them why can't they lower them?" although I accept the general point.

Really it's about keeping government control over the judiciary to an absolute minimum and particularly control over their personal emolument. He who holds the purse strings calls the tune after all. The threat of reduced wages should never be in the Governments control. It doesn't matter if they'd never do anything with the power, it matters that they could.
                                  ahem

haddock manifesto
                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

why can't the judiciary take a voluntary 10% pay cut and take the wind out of Shatter's sails?
                                    genius

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                      How many judges is that have refused to accept voluntary pay cuts in line with cuts across the Public Service?
                                      No idea but the vast vast majority of them have taken it.

Comment

I read 15 somewhere, will try find it.

This is the best I could find

Judge Pattwell said he was not taking a stand against the proposed pay cut, nor did he know of any colleague that would. He said to his knowledge more than 90 per cent of judges voted in support of taking a voluntary pay cut of 10 per cent.
                                        Last edited by Teddie; 11-07-11, 21:28.

Comment

It was about 70%-80% that accepted it I think.

Judicial independence is a pretty fundamental part of a functioning society, putting that at risk under the guise of saving a few pound (which it wont as the referendum will probably cost more than any saving) is a mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                            It was about 70%-80% that accepted it I think.

Judicial independence is a pretty fundamental part of a functioning society, putting that at risk under the guise of saving a few pound (which it wont as the referendum will probably cost more than any saving) is a mistake.

Comment

They generally take a pretty large pay cut to become a judge. Then they almost all recently took another pay cut voluntarily on top of that. Besides that they're not really ill disposed to the referendum as long as the government cannot control the reductions or increases.

Lastly the judges aren't supposed to organize themselves, it interferes with judicial independence which, despite all the guff they get in the media, they take very seriously. Really they have their hands tied by their positions and Shatter is getting a free run at them.

Comment

Originally posted by digiman View Post
                                                Obv another in the Planet of the Apes video ads.

The Argies are actually going to put out a proper team tonight - DiMaria on the left, Messi on the right, with Kun and Higuain up front. Reckon that should be enough to see them through but I'm not putting a red cent on them until I see them playing properly.

Have backed the under 2.5 goals and also a wincast for 1-0 to Costa Rica with Campbell the scorer just cause its 325-1 and the world owes me it p

Comment

No idea but the vast vast majority of them have taken it.
                                                  I think I see the fundamental problem with your position.

I don't like having any more political influence on Judges than there already is but in this extraordinary time the Judges have let the whole country down by not being able to act decisively as a unit and reinforcing the popular belief that they are self serving and utterly isolated from reality.

Now they can GTFO and it serves them right.

And as for the eejit who knocked two years off that McGinley the C Case and OAP Rapists sentence today ... WTF?

Comment

I don't like having any more political influence on Judges than there already is but in this extraordinary time the Judges have let the whole country down by not being able to act decisively as a unit and reinforcing the popular belief that they are self serving and utterly isolated from reality.

And as for the eejit who knocked two years off that McGinley the C Case and OAP Rapists sentence today ... WTF?
                                                    would sir like his haddock smoked or natural?

Comment

They generally take a pretty large pay cut to become a judge. Then they almost all recently took another pay cut voluntarily on top of that. Besides that they're not really ill disposed to the referendum as long as the government cannot control the reductions or increases.

Lastly the judges aren't supposed to organize themselves, it interferes with judicial independence which, despite all the guff they get in the media, they take very seriously. Really they have their hands tied by their positions and Shatter is getting a free run at them.
                                                      I don't believe that that is 'generally' true. It at least fails to takes into account the working hours and pension arrangements.

And again the problem there is the Almost. Not being allowed to organise doees make it a diofficult situatyion foor them though.

Comment

I don't believe that that is 'generally' true. It at least fails to takes into account the working hours and pension arrangements.
                                                        Dead Parrot observed last week that people don't realise how fucked we are

Kayroo, for all his intelligence, is proving the accuracy of that

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                          I'm afraid not. All they seemed to have was cups!

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                          Out of the 62 members on just there, I counted 29 hidden (with a * beside their name as I see it, not invisible to admins, not sure about mods).

Being hidden is a trick I learned years ago as a mod so that if there was something I couldn't be arsed dealing with, no one would know I was online.
                                                          I can see the * as well.

Comment

Click the like button please

BBV HELP PLEASE!!!

Hey all,

I didn't realise until a minute ago that my mother has a FB page for her Holisitic clinic in Naas and she was just asking how she could get people to 'like' it. Obv I told her I would see what I could and thought of here first!

So if you could follow the link and like the page that would be great:

Thanks in advance.

Comment

they are on about Judges wages now , what next ?

O'Brien the kids are being educated but are learning nothing.

Comment

Should be worth a watch for any Entourage fans out there a farewell before the final season kicks off soon.

Subscribe to HBO: http://itsh.bo/10qIqsjWatch a special 30-minute farewell to the series. HBO on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/hbo HBO on Twitter: http:/...

Comment

Originally posted by Caf View Post
                                                                  BBV HELP PLEASE!!!

Hey all,

I didn't realise until a minute ago that my mother has a FB page for her Holisitic clinic in Naas and she was just asking how she could get people to 'like' it. Obv I told her I would see what I could and thought of here first!

So if you could follow the link and like the page that would be great:

Thanks in advance.
                                                                  Done

Comment

Finally some equilibrium has been restored. Really felt unwell the last few days when I generally was on the side of Strewelly with regard to dress codes.

Thanks for posting the text from the courts.ie Kayroo. Heard a discussion about it on radio1 around teatime, and at no stage was it mentioned

The issue here is not whether judges’ pay should be reduced, but rather how that reduction should be achieved
                                                                    Last edited by ComradeCollie; 11-07-11, 21:55.
                                                                    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Wtf? I haven't followed that case, how long did he get? Was sure he was getting life for that, if he didn't and it sounds like it then there is something dreadfully wrong with the sentencing laws in this country.
                                                                      'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

It always disturbs and perplexes me when I find people my age that are staunch practising Catholics.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                          Kayroo, for all his intelligence, is proving the accuracy of that
                                                                          I do realise how fucked we really are RDIII, I really do. I just believe in the separation of powers and the vital independence of the judiciary. Reduce their wages sure but the government cannot be allowed to control that.

Strewel, I know you don't believe the wage cut argument but it is true and some judges may or may not have helped the others but you need to forget the individuals and look to the principle of the thing. It's not about this specific set of judges, it's about the way our society works and the control on executive power that the courts provide for us.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                            It always disturbs and perplexes me when I find people my age that are staunch practising Catholics.
                                                                            information; 'staunch' is an old Germanic word, it means 'wanker'

Comment

How many of these tribunals are still going? Are there any? These should all be shut down imo. They were always a pure waste of taxpayer's money, now they are just a waste of IMF repayment money.

Comment

I do realise how fucked we really are RDIII, I really do. I just believe in the separation of powers and the vital independence of the judiciary. Reduce their wages sure but the government cannot be allowed to control that.
                                                                                meh, let's bring in some management consultants instead

reduce their wages to the median judges salary across a basket of equivalent countries. Maybe Greece, Portugal, Argentina and Romania. Job done.

Comment

'staunch Catholic'

'staunch Rangers fan'

'staunch Fianna Failer'

you get my drift

Comment

God forgive you , i will say a rosary for you .

Comment

Originally posted by DAMO72 View Post
                                                                                      God forgive you , i will say a rosary for you .
                                                                                      is that the one where you mutter stuff really fast?

Comment

is that the one where you mutter stuff really fast?
                                                                                        Thats the one ,you will thank me one day .

Comment

Originally posted by eagle eye View Post
                                                                                          Wtf? I haven't followed that case, how long did he get? Was sure he was getting life for that, if he didn't and it sounds like it then there is something dreadfully wrong with the sentencing laws in this country.
                                                                                          I heard on the radio that they knocked 2 years off 21 which seemed very strange,. His appeal failed but I can;t find it online

Comment

meh, let's bring in some management consultants instead

reduce their wages to the median judges salary across a basket of equivalent countries. Maybe Greece, Portugal, Argentina and Romania. Job done.
                                                                                            These aren't equivalent countries for a host of reasons. New Zealand, South Africa are more like it but the principle isn't bad.

Comment

have any of the proposed judicial pay cuts included pension contributions and expenses?

If after "massive pay drops" to become judges mean you're earning 145k just as a district court judge, High level barristers must be grossly overpaid.

then again, the legal system in Ireland is far more protectionist than any union, so the salary levels aren't that suprising after all.

Comment

Thats the one ,you will thank me one day .
                                                                                                always sounds like 'hominahominahomina' to me but then I am a black Protestant

just ironing my sash for tomorrow now actually

Comment

These aren't equivalent countries for a host of reasons. New Zealand, South Africa are more like it but the principle isn't bad.
                                                                                                  would be a $37k drop in average wage if they went down to New Zealand levels.

Comment

um, those countries are exactly our peers now I'm afraid

we wish we were like SA or NZ

Comment

beware, I bear more grudges than lonely high court judges.

Comment

my boyles was full screen last few days and i thought my monitor settings were all messed up because it made all otehr programmes zoom big too.
                                                                                                        I didnt have a clue what was wrong with stupid ipoker software and reinstalled twice.
                                                                                                        Turns out theres an option in lobby to enable full screen!must have misclicked it a few days back!
                                                                                                        bit retarded again by ipoker because it goes whole full screen and hides the taskbar and all. and you cant move back to lobby when you open a table, its a totally stupid option.
                                                                                                        Fixed anyway

Comment

FFS! Caf if I like on that Holistic shite how long do I have to leave it up for?
                                                                                                          it will destroy my credibility completely. I'll send some dumb teenagers your way instead.

Is there anything on Facebook other than spam these Days?
                                                                                                          Google plus is fantastic why aren't all the ipb people using it?

Comment

always sounds like 'hominahominahomina' to me but then I am a black Protestant

just ironing my sash for tomorrow now actually
                                                                                                            I am just polishing my bottles before filling them at the texaco in the morning .
                                                                                                            See ya there

Comment

FFS! Caf if I like on that Holistic shite how long do I have to leave it up for?
                                                                                                              it will destroy my credibility completely. I'll send some dumb teenagers your way instead.

Is there anything on Facebook other than spam these Days?
                                                                                                              Google plus is fantastic why aren't all the ipb people using it?
                                                                                                              Was that you who added me today? Duelling Banjos?

Comment

have any of the proposed judicial pay cuts included pension contributions and expenses?

If after "massive pay drops" to become judges mean you're earning 145k just as a district court judge, High level barristers must be grossly overpaid.

then again, the legal system in Ireland is far more protectionist than any union, so the salary levels aren't that suprising after all.
                                                                                                                I know I have a vested interest so I won't get too into this but the protectionist comment really hits it home to me how little most people understand about what Barristers do.

I have to reiterate again I am only referring to high and supreme court judges. I'm making no comment about any other court.

Comment

I am just polishing my bottles before filling them at the texaco in the morning .
                                                                                                                  See ya there
                                                                                                                  OK, see you on Henry Street. 1pm

we'll go for scoops in The Church pub after (appropriately enough)

Comment

I know I have a vested interest so I won't get too into this but the protectionist comment really hits it home to me how little most people understand about what Barristers do.

I have to reiterate again I am only referring to high and supreme court judges. I'm making no comment about any other court.
                                                                                                                    you do have the most ridiculous set-up for the 20th century, let alone the 21st though

the whole sole trader thing is nutty on every level

Comment

Comment

I cant understand when you ring a hotel and they arent willing to match or undercut internet price.
                                                                                                                        Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

you do have the most ridiculous set-up for the 20th century, let alone the 21st though

the whole sole trader thing is nutty on every level
                                                                                                                          I disagree but anytime you wanna chat about it I'd be happy to oblige, just not on this forum.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X