This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fucking brilliant

The Best KENNY POWERS video EVER! If you don't think this is funny you may want to check your pulse.
    "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Kenny Motherfucking Powers

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
        Any word on if there'll be a season 3? There fucking better be...
        "In the world, there are many kings but there is only one God. I am God, I am El Tren" :{)

Comment

Originally posted by Sledgejammer View Post
          I would hope so

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

More snippets over HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Sometime Happy Dude View Post
            Where would you set the line on an over/under of the age of the winner of the main event?

Comment

Zuutherapy obv

Comment

Very very strange one... I had a sig on a well known bullitin board where I have 000's of posts.. another guy from our company had the same sig.. It was worded in a particular way by the guy who looks after our website for SEO purposes..

For some strange reason we lost our top position on google in the last few days. now the mystry unfolds. I find my sig on that bullitin board has been changed to remove the key words required .... and so has the sig of the other guy in our company...

who would do that and why? Competitor is the only thing I can think of?

maybe some of you with more experience in modding such forums might point me in the right direction...
                Spray Foam Insulation

Comment

Just watching the aftermath of oxegen... looks like they all had a good time
                  Last edited by Macspower; 11-07-11, 18:18.
                  Spray Foam Insulation

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                    Why would you include your name? And if you are including the word behavioural then make sure you use the British English spelling with a 'u'.

Registering a business name is easy and only costs €20. But do it now. Go to cro.ie as Strewelpeter said. Although you fill in stuff online you have to print out the resulting form, sign it, and post it off with a cheque before you get your certificate. So send it off soon.
                    Chrome spellcheck messed that one up.

I'm just wary of registering a business name if I am currently not doing anything with it, can it cause problems with my JSB?
                    http://mobro.co/zuroph
                    donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

Originally posted by Sledgejammer View Post
                      There is, working on it now

Danny McBride tells Peter Travers what to expect in Season 3 of Eastbound and Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Zuroph View Post
                        Chrome spellcheck messed that one up.

I'm just wary of registering a business name if I am currently not doing anything with it, can it cause problems with my JSB?
                        registering the business name should ahve no effect on your jsb. Also there is a back to work enterprise allowance available if you are on JSB but there is a lot of hoop jumping to get it.

I have been through the setting up of a business many times and again recently so if I can be of any help please don't hesitate to ask.
                        Spray Foam Insulation

Comment

just logged into PPP and see I have a few bob sitting there.. was looking to play a mid priced tourney something like a 50 FO or something.. but everything seems to be low stakes.. 5 and 10er tourneys make up the most of whats on..

suppose a sign of the times really
                          Spray Foam Insulation

Comment

Mila Kunis is incredible

Comment

Watching "stringer bell" in luther... really good stuff.. pity there is not enough of it!
                              Spray Foam Insulation

Comment

Mila Kunis is incredible

I love the girl +she seems awesome (and I hate that word!!)

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Mila Kunis is incredible

Wheres that gif of her lezzer kiss?

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface ste View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRfSecEIyIs
                                    WTF is it with people (usually 50+) saying 'The Black Swan', it's just 'Black Swan'.
                                    Same goes for people who make song titles longer or just pick a random line from a song and call it that.

'Hit me baby one more time', no it's just 'Baby one more time'.

Something must be done about it.
                                    X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                    Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by Sometime Happy Dude View Post
                                      WTF is it with people (usually 50+) saying 'The Black Swan', it's just 'Black Swan'.
                                      Same goes for people who make song titles longer or just pick a random line from a song and call it that.

'Hit me baby one more time', no it's just 'Baby one more time'.

Something must be done about it.
                                      Don't you hate pants?!
                                      donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                        This aint that scene but still pretty hot one from an old movie, nsfw

SPOILER
                                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvQKs5rbUeY

Comment

Any recommendations for a weeks holiday? Would probably go in 2nd week of August. Preferably some fun active activities but also relaxing. Can be in Ireland or a couple of hours in a plane, preferably with sun if abroad.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by digiman View Post
                                              Any recommendations for a weeks holiday? Would probably go in 2nd week of August. Preferably some fun active activities but also relaxing. Can be in Ireland or a couple of hours in a plane, preferably with sun if abroad.
                                              Salou or Lanzarotte .
                                              Salou would be my choice, nice spot for relaxing with the added entertainment of Portaventura theme park.

Porto del carmen in Lanzarotte is great craic all round
                                              Last edited by DAMO72; 11-07-11, 19:47.

Comment

Mila Kunis is incredible

I worked with a girl who was her spit. She has no idea how stunning she is and looks amazing without makeup. She has the eyes, the lips and the figure.

Comment

Originally posted by DAMO72 View Post
                                                  Salut or Lanzarotte .
                                                  Salut would be my choice, nice spot for relaxing with the added entertainment of Portaventura theme park.

Comment

Originally posted by DAMO72 View Post
                                                    Salut or Lanzarotte .
                                                    Salut would be my choice, nice spot for relaxing with the added entertainment of Portaventura theme park.

Puerto Rico in Gran Canaria is great.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                      I worked with a girl who was her spit. She has no idea how stunning she is and looks amazing without makeup. She has the eyes, the lips and the figure.
                                                      Pics, name, ph no. and address or GTFO

Comment

Did you?

Comment

About 10 years since I was there but loved it,not sure if it has changed.
                                                          We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act, but a habit.

Comment

What the fuck should you make for dinner? We will provide your indecisive self with some ideas.

Comment

Tour De France was a fucking disaster today.
                                                              You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                              World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^
                                                                Rest Day today in The Tour

Comment

2 many annoying brits , you know the type .
                                                                  There is a couple round your way

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^
                                                                    Was yesterday. He actually finished the race like that.
                                                                    Profit before people.

Comment

Sharp downturn there from Mila Kunis having the hand dropped on her by some chick. :-/

Comment

yesterday.

donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^
                                                                          I'm a day behind cause I only get to watch it on the recorded coverage when I have a minute from work. My bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                            I'm a day behind cause I only get to watch it on the recorded coverage when I have a minute from work. My bad.
                                                                            Thursday is when the fun begins (or friday for you!)

Comment

Tambor says Arrested Development movie is going to happen
                                                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by digiman View Post
                                                                                If you want to go somewhere nice and warm in Spain but a little less touristy/crowded than the standard Costa del Sol resort you could try the province of Cadiz. Basically fly to Malaga and start driving towards Portugal.

The beaches are lovely but because it's the Atlantic coast they're not as packed and I'm pretty sure you can surf, windsurf etc. The area around Tarifa, just passed Gibraltar is beautiful. I actually stayed further along the coast in a campsite which was also cool.

If you get bored of the beach there's plenty of good day trips you can do. Morocco is just across the water and you could also visit Sevilla or the town of Cadiz. I'll warn you though that Sevilla in August is extremely hot.

Comment

Team Sky could take legal action if necessary after their Spanish rider Juan-Antonio Flecha was hit by a television car in Sunday's ninth stage of the Tour de France.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/MidWe...17622831832879
                                                                                  http://mayopubpoker.com/

Comment

Pics, name, ph no. and address or GTFO
                                                                                    All I can say is her name is Lynn

Originally posted by White Knight View Post
                                                                                    Did you?
                                                                                    With FD as well obv

In FD's dreams maybe lol

Comment

think this might be the next play against me.

someone add them there, I was added a while ago, but friendship was removed again.
                                                                                      donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

Important: Please Take A Moment to Read

The Government, and in particular Minister Shatter, are seeking to bring in an amendment to the Constitution in order to allow them reduce the pay given to judges. While I personally believe this is an absolutely terrible idea the judges themselves, and in particular the judges of the Supreme and High Court, have taken the position that this amendment is inevitable but that the actual power to set judge's wages must be kept out of the hands of Government and given to an independent body.

Judges, as a rule, refuse to comment on matters of public controversy. However, on this particular occasion, they have released a memorandum which was given to the Government via Marie Whelan, the Attorney-General, as is the proper means for the judiciary to communicate with the Government of the day. In order to facilitate press requests this was also placed on the Courts website www.courts.ie but, after direct pressure from Minister Shatter, this will be removed tomorrow.

I urge everyone here to read a copy. A link is here and I have included the text in the spoiler below.

Over the next few months, as this issue is played out in the papers, there will be many things said about judges and their pay and what they do. I can tell you from my experience of them that they are conscientious individuals who take a pay cut quite often to be judges. The honour and dignity of the office, as well as an opportunity to be a servant to the judicial system, is the driving force for most if not all of them. Having seen many of them in action they are among the most humane, intelligent and diligent professionals one could ever hope to appear before. Please do not allow Minister Shatter to blind you with his personal agenda and rhetoric and remember that judicial independence from the Government is an absolutely vital component of a free society. The price for freedom is constant vigilance and in this instance it is my honest belief that allowing the Government the power to control judicial wages is an atrocity which we cannot allow to happen.

In a paper delivered to the Venice Commission on Judicial Independence, the Director General for the Department of Judicial Administration for Slovenia wrote the following:

In a country in which we want to establish the rule of law, we must never forget that law is, first and foremost, a promise of impartiality. It not only involves actual impartiality, but also the preservation of an appearance of impartiality. It is the latter that is the best warranty for existence of trust in the judiciary and a lawful state.

[...]

An independent position of judges has numerous aspects, from the
                                                                                        appointment of judges, duration of judicial office and immovability of judges, to the manners for dismissal of judges and related immunity, financial independence (remuneration of judges) and so on.
                                                                                        SPOILER

Re: Proposed Referendum on Article 35.5 of
                                                                                        The Constitution
                                                                                        Memorandum on the Proposed Amendment
                                                                                        1. No one doubts for a moment the seriousness of the economic crisis
                                                                                        facing the country. The judiciary has not opposed the proposal for amendment of
                                                                                        Article 35, section 5 of the Constitution. The ultimate decision on would, of
                                                                                        course, be entirely a matter for Oireachtas and the People. The issue here is
                                                                                        not whether judges’ pay should be reduced, but rather how that reduction should be
                                                                                        achieved, while effecting the least interference with the principle of independence
                                                                                        of the Judiciary which that provision of the Constitution is designed to protect.
                                                                                        Historical context
                                                                                        2. If judicial pay is cut, this will be the first time that this has occurred in
                                                                                        the legal history of these islands since the Act of Settlement 1701.
                                                                                        3. Article 68 of the 1922 Constitution provided that the remuneration of
                                                                                        judges “may not be diminished during their continuance in office”. Writing
                                                                                        in 1932 in his seminal text, Professor Kohn observed that: P a g e | 2
                                                                                        “The independence of the judges has been further safeguarded by the
                                                                                        provisions of Article 68 of the Constitution that their remuneration
                                                                                        may not be diminished during their continuance in office.”
                                                                                        1
                                                                                        4. Article 35.5 of the Constitution provides that:-
                                                                                        “The remuneration of a judge shall not be reduced during his
                                                                                        continuance in office.”
                                                                                        5. During the debate on the Constitution, Deputy Norton (then leader of the
                                                                                        Labour Party) observed with regard to Article 35.5:-
                                                                                        “I take it that [Article 35.5] is intended to establish the independence
                                                                                        of the judiciary which function through [the High Court and the Supreme
                                                                                        Court] and it is probably intended to demonstrate to the community as a
                                                                                        whole and to judges in particular that judges are not liable to have their
                                                                                        salaries reduced if for any reason they do things which incur the displeasure
                                                                                        of the [Government].”
                                                                                        2
                                                                                        The rationale for the present rule
                                                                                        6. Article 35.5 of our Constitution is designed to protect judicial independence
                                                                                        As one of the great US Founding Fathers, Alexander Hamilton, put it in
                                                                                        The Federalist Papers, No. 79 at the time of the enactment of the US
                                                                                        Constitution:-
                                                                                        “Next to permanency in office, nothing can contribute more to the
                                                                                        independence of the judges than a fixed provision for their support. In the
                                                                                        ************************************************** *********
                                                                                        1
                                                                                        Kohn, Constitution of the Irish Free State (London, 1932) at 328.
                                                                                        2
                                                                                        67 Dail Debates, June 1, 1937. P a g e | 3
                                                                                        general course of human nature, a power over a Man’s Subsistence
                                                                                        amounts to a power over his Will.”
                                                                                        7. This principle is internationally acknowledged and cherished today. The words
                                                                                        of Hamilton were quoted with approval by a majority of our Supreme Court
                                                                                        in O’Byrne v. Minister for Finance
                                                                                        3
                                                                                        in holding that Article 35.5 did not
                                                                                        exempt judges from the necessity to pay income tax:
                                                                                        “The purpose of the Article is to safeguard the independence of
                                                                                        judges. To require a judge to pay taxes on his income on the same
                                                                                        basis as other citizens and thus to contribute to the expenses of
                                                                                        Government cannot be said to be an attack on his independence.”
                                                                                        4
                                                                                        8. Article III of the US Constitution provides that judicial compensation “shall not
                                                                                        be diminished during their Continuation in Office”, words which clearly
                                                                                        inspired Article 68 of the 1922 Constitution and Article 35.5 of the
                                                                                        Constitution.
                                                                                        9. The European Charter on the Statute for Judges, adopted at Strasbourg, 8 - 10
                                                                                        July 1998 under the auspices of the Council of Europe provides at Article 6.1:
                                                                                        “Judges exercising judicial functions in a professional capacity are entitled
                                                                                        to remuneration, the level of which is fixed so as to shield them from
                                                                                        pressures aimed at influencing their decisions and more generally their
                                                                                        behaviour within their jurisdiction, thereby impairing their independence and
                                                                                        impartiality.”
                                                                                        3
                                                                                        [1959] I.R. 1 at 35, per Maguire C.J.
                                                                                        4
                                                                                        [1959] IR 1 at 38, per Maguire CJ. P a g e | 4
                                                                                        10. On 23
                                                                                        rd
                                                                                        November 2001, the Consultative Council of European Judges (CCJE)
                                                                                        adopted Opinion No 1, which included reference to Recommendation No. R (94)
                                                                                        12, which provided that judges’ remuneration should be guaranteed by law and
                                                                                        commensurate with the dignity of their profession and burden of responsibilities
                                                                                        and that that it was generally important (and especially so in relation to the new
                                                                                        democracies) to make specific legal provision guaranteeing judicial salaries against
                                                                                        reduction
                                                                                        11. The underlying issue of principle is more complex. Mere knowledge that
                                                                                        the Oireachtas has the power to legislate to reduce salaries may be perceived,
                                                                                        even if it is not so in fact, as having the potential either to pressurise judges on
                                                                                        the one hand or, alternatively, make them liable to view the other branches
                                                                                        of government with suspicion or even hostility. In the words of one of the
                                                                                        most internationally respected judges in recent times, the late Lord Bingham:-
                                                                                        “There is also, perhaps, another and subtler link between independence and
                                                                                        remuneration. In most societies, and subject to obvious exceptions, there is
                                                                                        some perceived relationship between what someone earns and the status or
                                                                                        prestige which he enjoys. Financial rewards are not, of course, everything,
                                                                                        but nor are they nothing. Unless, therefore, the rewards of judicial office
                                                                                        (with or without other benefits) are sufficient to attract the ablest candidates
                                                                                        to accept appointment, albeit with some financial sacrifice, the ranks of the
                                                                                        Judiciary must be filled by the second best, those who (under our system)
                                                                                        have failed to make it in private practice, and there would be an inevitable
                                                                                        lowering in the standing and reputation of the Judiciary and a sea change in
                                                                                        the relationship between advocate and judge.”
                                                                                        5
                                                                                        5
                                                                                        Judicial Independence (OUP, 2005) P a g e | 5
                                                                                        12. In O’Byrne v Minister for Finance
                                                                                        6
                                                                                        , Lavery J. observed that from a
                                                                                        consideration of the 1922 Constitution and the corresponding provisions of
                                                                                        Article 35 of the Constitution that:-
                                                                                        “The idea emerges – that the judicial power of the State should be vested in
                                                                                        judges set apart in many important ways from the life of the community and
                                                                                        denied important civil rights in order that they should be independent in the
                                                                                        exercise of their functions.”
                                                                                        7

13. A number of significant restrictions on a member of the Judiciary are
                                                                                        explicit in the Constitution: disqualification from membership of the Oireachtas,
                                                                                        and prohibition on the holding of any other officer of emolument: Article 35.3.
                                                                                        Some of the constraints on the judiciary are regarded as implicit in the concept of
                                                                                        independence, and observed by convention since the foundation of the State : the
                                                                                        fact that judges do not speak or engage on matters of public controversy; the
                                                                                        convention that judicial appointment is normally for full service until retirement,
                                                                                        and that, even on retirement, a retired judge should not pursue any vocation or
                                                                                        employment either public or private, which is inappropriate for a judge. Nor do
                                                                                        the judges organise collectively. All these are understood to be components of an
                                                                                        independent judiciary. In return, the Constitution provides for fixity of tenure, that
                                                                                        a judge cannot be removed save for stated misbehaviour and then by separate
                                                                                        resolutions of the Dáil and Seanad (Article 35.4.1), and by a guarantee that
                                                                                        remuneration will not be reduced (Article 35.5).
                                                                                        14. It is clear that these matters are themselves essential requirements of the
                                                                                        independence of the judiciary which is an essential component in the concept of
                                                                                        separation of powers. This is why the guarantee against reduction in salaries
                                                                                        6
                                                                                        [1959] IR 1.
                                                                                        7
                                                                                        [1959] IR 1 at 40. P a g e | 6
                                                                                        is deeply embedded not only in the Constitution, but one finds it throughout
                                                                                        the constitutions and fundamental laws throughout the common law world.
                                                                                        15. In Canada, The Provincial Judges Reference
                                                                                        8
                                                                                        held that the reduction in
                                                                                        pay of provincial court judges in order to help address a budget deficit was
                                                                                        unconstitutional, as being inconsistent with the guarantee of judicial
                                                                                        independence contained in the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. A
                                                                                        majority of the Canadian Supreme Court held that independent compensation
                                                                                        commissions are required to enable salaries to be set free of political influence.
                                                                                        The Court pointed out that, if remuneration of provincial judges is to be raised,
                                                                                        lowered or kept the same, this may be done along with the remuneration of other
                                                                                        government employees or with the judges' alone. The continued independence of
                                                                                        judges, however, will be kept apparent in any of these circumstances if it involves
                                                                                        review by an "independent, effective, and objective" body, i.e., the salary
                                                                                        commissions. What is involved in such circumstances is that, because what is
                                                                                        being done is to the financial disadvantage of judges, it is important that the extent
                                                                                        of discretionary power of the government of the day be kept to a minimum.
                                                                                        16. Furthermore, judges of the High Court and Supreme Court are
                                                                                        effectively debarred by the Rules of the Bar Council from returning to legal
                                                                                        practice following resignation or retirement.
                                                                                        9
                                                                                        As Kennedy C.J. put it in
                                                                                        James O’Connor’s case, these principles:
                                                                                        “reflect a common understanding underlying these [judicial]
                                                                                        appointments, that, with security of tenure and fixed and adequate
                                                                                        8
                                                                                        [1997] 3 SCR 3.
                                                                                        9
                                                                                        Re Sir James O’Connor’s Application [1930] IR 631, Rule 5.21 of the Code of Conduct of the Bar
                                                                                        (2010) provides:-
                                                                                        “Judges of the Irish Courts, following retirement or resignation, who return to the Bar may not practice in a
                                                                                        court of equal or lesser jurisdiction than the court of which they were a judge.” P a g e | 7
                                                                                        remuneration and pension, the practice of the profession of the law is
                                                                                        abandoned for ever by the person appointed.”
                                                                                        10
                                                                                        16. If, however, the constitutional principle that there be no reduction in
                                                                                        judicial remuneration is altered, then the basis for the permanent abandonment
                                                                                        by a judge of the practice of his profession is undermined. The proposition that it
                                                                                        is undesirable that a judge to return to practice was explained by Kennedy
                                                                                        C.J.:-
                                                                                        “There is good and powerful reason in support of such a rule, for it is
                                                                                        beyond doubt that if a man should step down from the privileged
                                                                                        position of the Bench and throw off what is a sacred office to engage
                                                                                        in the rough-and-tumble of litigious contest, and compete with
                                                                                        practitioners for the feed business of the Court, perhaps challenge the
                                                                                        decisions which he pronounced, or even fail to support them in
                                                                                        argument, he will shake the authority of the judicial limb of
                                                                                        government and mar the prestige and dignity of the Courts of Justice
                                                                                        upon which the whole structure of the State must always lean.”
                                                                                        11
                                                                                        17. There is here a question of perception and fairness. If, for example, a
                                                                                        High Court or Supreme Court judge returned to practice and appeared
                                                                                        before the High Court, then either the opposing counsel (and, more
                                                                                        importantly, their clients) might feel that they were at an unfair
                                                                                        disadvantage. But no one would be prepared to give up the right to practice
                                                                                        a profession permanently if they did not have the assurance of fixity of
                                                                                        salary and tenure of office.
                                                                                        10
                                                                                        [1930] IR 623 at 630.
                                                                                        11
                                                                                        [1930] IR 623 at 631. P a g e | 8
                                                                                        18. The same is true with respect to Article 35.3. Thus, for example, a
                                                                                        member of the Oireachtas (with whom, as we shall see, judges may be
                                                                                        expressly compared under the terms of the suggested wording at present available)
                                                                                        who is unhappy with reduction in his or her salary can, for instance,
                                                                                        supplement that by holding an office or position of emolument. There are
                                                                                        numerous instances where Oireachtas members quite properly derive income as
                                                                                        academics, lawyers, doctors, architects, teachers, company directors and so
                                                                                        forth.
                                                                                        19. Why, then, should this rule be maintained in such circumstances if the
                                                                                        quid pro quo - no reduction in pay - is being abandoned? Many continental
                                                                                        judges (including, for example, judges of the Court of Justice and the
                                                                                        German Constitutional Court) hold offices of emolument for example as
                                                                                        Professors in universities. Other continental judges engage in part-time
                                                                                        arbitration and mediation work.
                                                                                        20. Yet in a small jurisdiction such as ours, any relaxation of this rule
                                                                                        might have unfortunate consequences. Could, for example, a judge who
                                                                                        engaged in part-time arbitration work continue to hear arbitration cases in
                                                                                        his or her judicial capacity?
                                                                                        Fundamental flaws associated with the existing suggested wording
                                                                                        21. According to press reports, the approach to the amendment seems to be
                                                                                        grounded on the following wording, attributed to the Department of Justice:-
                                                                                        “The remuneration of judges shall not be reduced during their continuance in
                                                                                        office save as may be regulated by law on the basis of reductions that are
                                                                                        made by law, in the public interest, in the remuneration of persons generally P a g e | 9
                                                                                        or a class of such persons in the public service, including the Oireachtas and
                                                                                        other office holders.”
                                                                                        22. It is fundamental that in any proposed amendment, which seeks to protect
                                                                                        the independence of the judiciary, wide discretion is not left to the government of
                                                                                        the day (and, by extension, the Oireachtas of the day which would be
                                                                                        empowered to enact the appropriate legislation giving effect to the pay
                                                                                        reductions) as to the circumstances in which and extent to which reductions in pay
                                                                                        are implemented. Otherwise, there is a risk of perception that the judiciary may be
                                                                                        influenced by the government.
                                                                                        23. The suggested draft wording invites a number of comments. First, the
                                                                                        language is extremely loose. It would provide no limitation on the circumstances
                                                                                        in which a reduction should be made; the government’s view of the “public
                                                                                        interest” (as reflected in the legislation enacted by the Oireachtas) would
                                                                                        suffice. There is no method of calculating the reduction identified. The only
                                                                                        figure by reference to which such a reduction should be effected is contained in a
                                                                                        phrase of very broad potential application, namely, “in the public interest”. But
                                                                                        perhaps most significantly, the bodies which are to be charged with deciding the
                                                                                        reduction, both as to whether it is required and by reference to what comparator
                                                                                        such reduction should be calculated, are the other branches of government, i.e., the
                                                                                        Executive and Legislative branches. At a minimum it might be thought that any P a g e | 10
                                                                                        amendment should closely and specifically identify the circumstances in which any
                                                                                        deviation from the historic principles set out in Article 35.5 could be contemplated
                                                                                        such as a financial crisis involving the public finances accompanied by the
                                                                                        mechanism by which any salary reduction should be calculated, which should itself
                                                                                        be independent of government.
                                                                                        24. There would be furthermore nothing to stop the Oireachtas enacting
                                                                                        legislation cutting the pay of any other office holder(s) and applying that
                                                                                        particular pay cut to the judiciary. There is nothing in the suggested wording
                                                                                        of the proposed amendment to prevent a series of “tactical” cuts being
                                                                                        applied to different classes of public servants, but each of whom can be
                                                                                        applied to the judiciary.
                                                                                        25. The proposed wording would also provide less safeguards than that
                                                                                        previously proposed during the last Dáil in the 29
                                                                                        th
                                                                                        Amendment of the
                                                                                        Constitution Bill, 2009:-
                                                                                        “The remuneration of a judge shall not be reduced during his continuance in
                                                                                        office, save where it is necessary to address a serious threat to the State’s
                                                                                        economy, there is a compelling need to stabilise the State’s finances and as a
                                                                                        consequence it is necessary to effect a reduction in public service
                                                                                        remuneration. In such circumstances, any reduction in the remuneration of
                                                                                        all public servants or in the remuneration of a class of public servants may
                                                                                        be applied to effect a comparable reduction in the remuneration of all
                                                                                        members of the judiciary.” P a g e | 11
                                                                                        26. Even then, however, that Bill would have been open to the fundamental
                                                                                        objection that it did not provide for an in-built mechanism for an
                                                                                        independent review of the levels of the reduction of judicial pay.
                                                                                        Conclusions
                                                                                        27. In our view, the suggested wording as published in the press is
                                                                                        fundamentally deficient and would compromise the substance of judicial
                                                                                        independence in the manner indicated. The principles of judicial
                                                                                        independence require that any decision regarding judicial remuneration and
                                                                                        the reduction in judicial pay must be taken by an independent body.
                                                                                        28. If it were otherwise, one of the essential features of a constitutional
                                                                                        democracy and the rule of law would be compromised. Many judges dealing
                                                                                        with asylum and immigration cases have encountered country of origin
                                                                                        information dealing with the position of judges in developing countries
                                                                                        where the independence of the judiciary is parlous and where such judges
                                                                                        have limited institutional independence.
                                                                                        29. A finding by a reputable international court or observations by an
                                                                                        international organisation that these fundamental guarantees of constitutional
                                                                                        independence had been - even unwittingly - compromised, were the
                                                                                        suggested wording for the amendment to be adopted, would have huge
                                                                                        reputational implications for Ireland and for confidence in our legal system.
                                                                                        That confidence is not only a bulwark of the Constitution’s freedoms which
                                                                                        we as citizens enjoy in a free society, but is an essential bedrock of
                                                                                        economic confidence on which our recovery from the ordeal to which the
                                                                                        State is at present subject is completely premised. P a g e | 12
                                                                                        30. This memorandum is not prepared in opposition to an amendment of the
                                                                                        Constitution so as to ensure that judges bear a fair share of the burden of pay
                                                                                        reductions, but rather proposes that, if this is to be achieved, the essence of
                                                                                        constitutional independence must be safeguarded by means of an independent
                                                                                        adjudication on what these reductions should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Zuroph View Post
                                                                                          think this might be the next play against me.

someone add them there, I was added a while ago, but friendship was removed again.
                                                                                          I just added them.

Comment

cheers. Might be paranoia, but these random "local" pages opening and being friends with everyone always looks suspect, the timing is odd, and the rivals were friends very very early. might get a few of us as friends on there and post my blurb on it to see what happens.
                                                                                            donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

She use to be so annoying as that chick in That 70's Show but you are right she does seem absolutely wicked, seen this online today and if she goes through with it fair dues to her

Last Thursday, Sgt. Scott Moore of the 3rd Battalion 2nd Marines in Musa Qala, Afghanistan, posted a video on youtube to ask Mila on a date. Specifically, to the Marine Corps Ball on November 18th in Greenville, North Carolina. Over the weekend, Fox talked to Mila and Justin Timberlake about their movie ‘Friends With Benefits’, and they asked her about Moores video. This was apparently the first she had heard of it. And then…

…the clearly flattered actress agreed.
                                                                                              “I’ll go, I’ll do it for you,” she said, turning to Timberlake. “Are you going to come?”
                                                                                              “They don’t want me! They want you,” Timberlake responded. “You need to do it for your country.”
                                                                                              Kunis nodded.
                                                                                              “I’ll do it,” she confirmed.
                                                                                              Sgt Scott Moore with 3rd Battalion 2nd Marines in Musa Qala, Afghanistan asks Mila Kunis to the Marine Corps Ball in Greenville, NC on November 18th....Yes, ...

See RS got in with the good gif.

SPOILER

Sounds awesome don't mind that Ghostface dude he is a creep

Comment

Mike McLOCK it up already

Comment

LOL kayroo, seriously ?

Comment

Originally posted by Macspower View Post
                                                                                                    Very very strange one... I had a sig on a well known bullitin board where I have 000's of posts.. another guy from our company had the same sig.. It was worded in a particular way by the guy who looks after our website for SEO purposes..

For some strange reason we lost our top position on google in the last few days. now the mystry unfolds. I find my sig on that bullitin board has been changed to remove the key words required .... and so has the sig of the other guy in our company...

who would do that and why? Competitor is the only thing I can think of?

maybe some of you with more experience in modding such forums might point me in the right direction...
                                                                                                    On boards at least (and since you didn't name the forum I'm making no assumptions) the rule for signatures is that you can have a link or an image, but not both. Only admins on boards can change your signature (as on here as well), and they will never to my mind modify your signature, only remove it and replace with a link to the signature rules or leave it alone. If it was another board then I would have no idea what their procedures or rules are, but I know on boards it is a fairly well established set of rules.

If it was boards and you want to ask my opinion on how to proceed, PM me. If it was elsewhere, I wouldn't have much idea I'm afraid.

Comment

Tour De France was a fucking disaster today.
                                                                                                      They are all Aliens! I've managed to cycle 100k's in 5 days so am delighted with myself

Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

WP Evening Herald, WP.

Cian Healy was DJ'ing at Oxegen with his friend Gordon, who is most definitely not Gordan D'Arcy!

Comment

Having seen many of them in action they are among the most humane, intelligent and diligent professionals one could ever hope to appear before.
                                                                                                          You've obviously never seen Judge Patricia Ryan proceed over a court.
                                                                                                          Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

I think that galway mayor has set a record for a political u-turn.

Comment

Originally posted by RasTa View Post
                                                                                                              District court judge Michael Patwell is nothing short of an animal.

I'm sure most of them are how Kayroos describes them to be though in fairness.
                                                                                                              Last edited by dannydiamond; 11-07-11, 20:50.
                                                                                                              We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act, but a habit.

Comment

Seeing as we had some Kate Upton confusion yesterday here is some of her pics, I know zuutroy will like this

She is good at Twitter

SPOILER

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                                  I think that galway mayor has set a record for a political u-turn.
                                                                                                                  "I voted No by mistake, and hope that it can be rectified in September."
                                                                                                                  WP love, WP. Fingers crossed that Norris will have given up or got his 4 councils by then eh?

Her name was Hildegard Naughton I think, should be running a 50000 acre estate somewhere surely.

Comment

Originally posted by RasTa View Post
                                                                                                                    I have actually. I am mainly referring to High and Supreme Court judges who are entitled to decide on constitutional matters and matters involving validity of legislation which the Government are interested in the outcome of. The Circuit Court has no jurisdiction to hear those sorts of matters.

Comment

The Government, and in particular Minister Shatter, are seeking to bring in an amendment to the Constitution in order to allow them reduce the pay given to judges. While I personally believe this is an absolutely terrible idea the judges themselves, and in particular the judges of the Supreme and High Court, have taken the position that this amendment is inevitable but that the actual power to set judge's wages must be kept out of the hands of Government and given to an independent body.

Judges, as a rule, refuse to comment on matters of public controversy. However, on this particular occasion, they have released a memorandum which was given to the Government via Marie Whelan, the Attorney-General, as is the proper means for the judiciary to communicate with the Government of the day. In order to facilitate press requests this was also placed on the Courts website www.courts.ie but, after direct pressure from Minister Shatter, this will be removed tomorrow.

I urge everyone here to read a copy. A link is here and I have included the text in the spoiler below.

Over the next few months, as this issue is played out in the papers, there will be many things said about judges and their pay and what they do. I can tell you from my experience of them that they are conscientious individuals who take a pay cut quite often to be judges. The honour and dignity of the office, as well as an opportunity to be a servant to the judicial system, is the driving force for most if not all of them. Having seen many of them in action they are among the most humane, intelligent and diligent professionals one could ever hope to appear before. Please do not allow Minister Shatter to blind you with his personal agenda and rhetoric and remember that judicial independence from the Government is an absolutely vital component of a free society. The price for freedom is constant vigilance and in this instance it is my honest belief that allowing the Government the power to control judicial wages is an atrocity which we cannot allow to happen.

In a paper delivered to the Venice Commission on Judicial Independence, the Director General for the Department of Judicial Administration for Slovenia wrote the following:

SPOILER

Re: Proposed Referendum on Article 35.5 of
                                                                                                                      The Constitution
                                                                                                                      Memorandum on the Proposed Amendment
                                                                                                                      1. No one doubts for a moment the seriousness of the economic crisis
                                                                                                                      facing the country. The judiciary has not opposed the proposal for amendment of
                                                                                                                      Article 35, section 5 of the Constitution. The ultimate decision on would, of
                                                                                                                      course, be entirely a matter for Oireachtas and the People. The issue here is
                                                                                                                      not whether judges’ pay should be reduced, but rather how that reduction should be
                                                                                                                      achieved, while effecting the least interference with the principle of independence
                                                                                                                      of the Judiciary which that provision of the Constitution is designed to protect.
                                                                                                                      Historical context
                                                                                                                      2. If judicial pay is cut, this will be the first time that this has occurred in
                                                                                                                      the legal history of these islands since the Act of Settlement 1701.
                                                                                                                      3. Article 68 of the 1922 Constitution provided that the remuneration of
                                                                                                                      judges “may not be diminished during their continuance in office”. Writing
                                                                                                                      in 1932 in his seminal text, Professor Kohn observed that: P a g e | 2
                                                                                                                      “The independence of the judges has been further safeguarded by the
                                                                                                                      provisions of Article 68 of the Constitution that their remuneration
                                                                                                                      may not be diminished during their continuance in office.”
                                                                                                                      1
                                                                                                                      4. Article 35.5 of the Constitution provides that:-
                                                                                                                      “The remuneration of a judge shall not be reduced during his
                                                                                                                      continuance in office.”
                                                                                                                      5. During the debate on the Constitution, Deputy Norton (then leader of the
                                                                                                                      Labour Party) observed with regard to Article 35.5:-
                                                                                                                      “I take it that [Article 35.5] is intended to establish the independence
                                                                                                                      of the judiciary which function through [the High Court and the Supreme
                                                                                                                      Court] and it is probably intended to demonstrate to the community as a
                                                                                                                      whole and to judges in particular that judges are not liable to have their
                                                                                                                      salaries reduced if for any reason they do things which incur the displeasure
                                                                                                                      of the [Government].”
                                                                                                                      2
                                                                                                                      The rationale for the present rule
                                                                                                                      6. Article 35.5 of our Constitution is designed to protect judicial independence
                                                                                                                      As one of the great US Founding Fathers, Alexander Hamilton, put it in
                                                                                                                      The Federalist Papers, No. 79 at the time of the enactment of the US
                                                                                                                      Constitution:-
                                                                                                                      “Next to permanency in office, nothing can contribute more to the
                                                                                                                      independence of the judges than a fixed provision for their support. In the
                                                                                                                      1
                                                                                                                      Kohn, Constitution of the Irish Free State (London, 1932) at 328.
                                                                                                                      2
                                                                                                                      67 Dail Debates, June 1, 1937. P a g e | 3
                                                                                                                      general course of human nature, a power over a Man’s Subsistence
                                                                                                                      amounts to a power over his Will.”
                                                                                                                      7. This principle is internationally acknowledged and cherished today. The words
                                                                                                                      of Hamilton were quoted with approval by a majority of our Supreme Court
                                                                                                                      in O’Byrne v. Minister for Finance
                                                                                                                      3
                                                                                                                      in holding that Article 35.5 did not
                                                                                                                      exempt judges from the necessity to pay income tax:
                                                                                                                      “The purpose of the Article is to safeguard the independence of
                                                                                                                      judges. To require a judge to pay taxes on his income on the same
                                                                                                                      basis as other citizens and thus to contribute to the expenses of
                                                                                                                      Government cannot be said to be an attack on his independence.”
                                                                                                                      4
                                                                                                                      8. Article III of the US Constitution provides that judicial compensation “shall not
                                                                                                                      be diminished during their Continuation in Office”, words which clearly
                                                                                                                      inspired Article 68 of the 1922 Constitution and Article 35.5 of the
                                                                                                                      Constitution.
                                                                                                                      9. The European Charter on the Statute for Judges, adopted at Strasbourg, 8 - 10
                                                                                                                      July 1998 under the auspices of the Council of Europe provides at Article 6.1:
                                                                                                                      “Judges exercising judicial functions in a professional capacity are entitled
                                                                                                                      to remuneration, the level of which is fixed so as to shield them from
                                                                                                                      pressures aimed at influencing their decisions and more generally their
                                                                                                                      behaviour within their jurisdiction, thereby impairing their independence and
                                                                                                                      impartiality.”
                                                                                                                      3
                                                                                                                      [1959] I.R. 1 at 35, per Maguire C.J.
                                                                                                                      4
                                                                                                                      [1959] IR 1 at 38, per Maguire CJ. P a g e | 4
                                                                                                                      10. On 23
                                                                                                                      rd
                                                                                                                      November 2001, the Consultative Council of European Judges (CCJE)
                                                                                                                      adopted Opinion No 1, which included reference to Recommendation No. R (94)
                                                                                                                      12, which provided that judges’ remuneration should be guaranteed by law and
                                                                                                                      commensurate with the dignity of their profession and burden of responsibilities
                                                                                                                      and that that it was generally important (and especially so in relation to the new
                                                                                                                      democracies) to make specific legal provision guaranteeing judicial salaries against
                                                                                                                      reduction
                                                                                                                      11. The underlying issue of principle is more complex. Mere knowledge that
                                                                                                                      the Oireachtas has the power to legislate to reduce salaries may be perceived,
                                                                                                                      even if it is not so in fact, as having the potential either to pressurise judges on
                                                                                                                      the one hand or, alternatively, make them liable to view the other branches
                                                                                                                      of government with suspicion or even hostility. In the words of one of the
                                                                                                                      most internationally respected judges in recent times, the late Lord Bingham:-
                                                                                                                      “There is also, perhaps, another and subtler link between independence and
                                                                                                                      remuneration. In most societies, and subject to obvious exceptions, there is
                                                                                                                      some perceived relationship between what someone earns and the status or
                                                                                                                      prestige which he enjoys. Financial rewards are not, of course, everything,
                                                                                                                      but nor are they nothing. Unless, therefore, the rewards of judicial office
                                                                                                                      (with or without other benefits) are sufficient to attract the ablest candidates
                                                                                                                      to accept appointment, albeit with some financial sacrifice, the ranks of the
                                                                                                                      Judiciary must be filled by the second best, those who (under our system)
                                                                                                                      have failed to make it in private practice, and there would be an inevitable
                                                                                                                      lowering in the standing and reputation of the Judiciary and a sea change in
                                                                                                                      the relationship between advocate and judge.”
                                                                                                                      5
                                                                                                                      5
                                                                                                                      Judicial Independence (OUP, 2005) P a g e | 5
                                                                                                                      12. In O’Byrne v Minister for Finance
                                                                                                                      6
                                                                                                                      , Lavery J. observed that from a
                                                                                                                      consideration of the 1922 Constitution and the corresponding provisions of
                                                                                                                      Article 35 of the Constitution that:-
                                                                                                                      “The idea emerges – that the judicial power of the State should be vested in
                                                                                                                      judges set apart in many important ways from the life of the community and
                                                                                                                      denied important civil rights in order that they should be independent in the
                                                                                                                      exercise of their functions.”
                                                                                                                      7

13. A number of significant restrictions on a member of the Judiciary are
                                                                                                                      explicit in the Constitution: disqualification from membership of the Oireachtas,
                                                                                                                      and prohibition on the holding of any other officer of emolument: Article 35.3.
                                                                                                                      Some of the constraints on the judiciary are regarded as implicit in the concept of
                                                                                                                      independence, and observed by convention since the foundation of the State : the
                                                                                                                      fact that judges do not speak or engage on matters of public controversy; the
                                                                                                                      convention that judicial appointment is normally for full service until retirement,
                                                                                                                      and that, even on retirement, a retired judge should not pursue any vocation or
                                                                                                                      employment either public or private, which is inappropriate for a judge. Nor do
                                                                                                                      the judges organise collectively. All these are understood to be components of an
                                                                                                                      independent judiciary. In return, the Constitution provides for fixity of tenure, that
                                                                                                                      a judge cannot be removed save for stated misbehaviour and then by separate
                                                                                                                      resolutions of the Dáil and Seanad (Article 35.4.1), and by a guarantee that
                                                                                                                      remuneration will not be reduced (Article 35.5).
                                                                                                                      14. It is clear that these matters are themselves essential requirements of the
                                                                                                                      independence of the judiciary which is an essential component in the concept of
                                                                                                                      separation of powers. This is why the guarantee against reduction in salaries
                                                                                                                      6
                                                                                                                      [1959] IR 1.
                                                                                                                      7
                                                                                                                      [1959] IR 1 at 40. P a g e | 6
                                                                                                                      is deeply embedded not only in the Constitution, but one finds it throughout
                                                                                                                      the constitutions and fundamental laws throughout the common law world.
                                                                                                                      15. In Canada, The Provincial Judges Reference
                                                                                                                      8
                                                                                                                      held that the reduction in
                                                                                                                      pay of provincial court judges in order to help address a budget deficit was
                                                                                                                      unconstitutional, as being inconsistent with the guarantee of judicial
                                                                                                                      independence contained in the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. A
                                                                                                                      majority of the Canadian Supreme Court held that independent compensation
                                                                                                                      commissions are required to enable salaries to be set free of political influence.
                                                                                                                      The Court pointed out that, if remuneration of provincial judges is to be raised,
                                                                                                                      lowered or kept the same, this may be done along with the remuneration of other
                                                                                                                      government employees or with the judges' alone. The continued independence of
                                                                                                                      judges, however, will be kept apparent in any of these circumstances if it involves
                                                                                                                      review by an "independent, effective, and objective" body, i.e., the salary
                                                                                                                      commissions. What is involved in such circumstances is that, because what is
                                                                                                                      being done is to the financial disadvantage of judges, it is important that the extent
                                                                                                                      of discretionary power of the government of the day be kept to a minimum.
                                                                                                                      16. Furthermore, judges of the High Court and Supreme Court are
                                                                                                                      effectively debarred by the Rules of the Bar Council from returning to legal
                                                                                                                      practice following resignation or retirement.
                                                                                                                      9
                                                                                                                      As Kennedy C.J. put it in
                                                                                                                      James O’Connor’s case, these principles:
                                                                                                                      “reflect a common understanding underlying these [judicial]
                                                                                                                      appointments, that, with security of tenure and fixed and adequate
                                                                                                                      8
                                                                                                                      [1997] 3 SCR 3.
                                                                                                                      9
                                                                                                                      Re Sir James O’Connor’s Application [1930] IR 631, Rule 5.21 of the Code of Conduct of the Bar
                                                                                                                      (2010) provides:-
                                                                                                                      “Judges of the Irish Courts, following retirement or resignation, who return to the Bar may not practice in a
                                                                                                                      court of equal or lesser jurisdiction than the court of which they were a judge.” P a g e | 7
                                                                                                                      remuneration and pension, the practice of the profession of the law is
                                                                                                                      abandoned for ever by the person appointed.”
                                                                                                                      10
                                                                                                                      16. If, however, the constitutional principle that there be no reduction in
                                                                                                                      judicial remuneration is altered, then the basis for the permanent abandonment
                                                                                                                      by a judge of the practice of his profession is undermined. The proposition that it
                                                                                                                      is undesirable that a judge to return to practice was explained by Kennedy
                                                                                                                      C.J.:-
                                                                                                                      “There is good and powerful reason in support of such a rule, for it is
                                                                                                                      beyond doubt that if a man should step down from the privileged
                                                                                                                      position of the Bench and throw off what is a sacred office to engage
                                                                                                                      in the rough-and-tumble of litigious contest, and compete with
                                                                                                                      practitioners for the feed business of the Court, perhaps challenge the
                                                                                                                      decisions which he pronounced, or even fail to support them in
                                                                                                                      argument, he will shake the authority of the judicial limb of
                                                                                                                      government and mar the prestige and dignity of the Courts of Justice
                                                                                                                      upon which the whole structure of the State must always lean.”
                                                                                                                      11
                                                                                                                      17. There is here a question of perception and fairness. If, for example, a
                                                                                                                      High Court or Supreme Court judge returned to practice and appeared
                                                                                                                      before the High Court, then either the opposing counsel (and, more
                                                                                                                      importantly, their clients) might feel that they were at an unfair
                                                                                                                      disadvantage. But no one would be prepared to give up the right to practice
                                                                                                                      a profession permanently if they did not have the assurance of fixity of
                                                                                                                      salary and tenure of office.
                                                                                                                      10
                                                                                                                      [1930] IR 623 at 630.
                                                                                                                      11
                                                                                                                      [1930] IR 623 at 631. P a g e | 8
                                                                                                                      18. The same is true with respect to Article 35.3. Thus, for example, a
                                                                                                                      member of the Oireachtas (with whom, as we shall see, judges may be
                                                                                                                      expressly compared under the terms of the suggested wording at present available)
                                                                                                                      who is unhappy with reduction in his or her salary can, for instance,
                                                                                                                      supplement that by holding an office or position of emolument. There are
                                                                                                                      numerous instances where Oireachtas members quite properly derive income as
                                                                                                                      academics, lawyers, doctors, architects, teachers, company directors and so
                                                                                                                      forth.
                                                                                                                      19. Why, then, should this rule be maintained in such circumstances if the
                                                                                                                      quid pro quo - no reduction in pay - is being abandoned? Many continental
                                                                                                                      judges (including, for example, judges of the Court of Justice and the
                                                                                                                      German Constitutional Court) hold offices of emolument for example as
                                                                                                                      Professors in universities. Other continental judges engage in part-time
                                                                                                                      arbitration and mediation work.
                                                                                                                      20. Yet in a small jurisdiction such as ours, any relaxation of this rule
                                                                                                                      might have unfortunate consequences. Could, for example, a judge who
                                                                                                                      engaged in part-time arbitration work continue to hear arbitration cases in
                                                                                                                      his or her judicial capacity?
                                                                                                                      Fundamental flaws associated with the existing suggested wording
                                                                                                                      21. According to press reports, the approach to the amendment seems to be
                                                                                                                      grounded on the following wording, attributed to the Department of Justice:-
                                                                                                                      “The remuneration of judges shall not be reduced during their continuance in
                                                                                                                      office save as may be regulated by law on the basis of reductions that are
                                                                                                                      made by law, in the public interest, in the remuneration of persons generally P a g e | 9
                                                                                                                      or a class of such persons in the public service, including the Oireachtas and
                                                                                                                      other office holders.”
                                                                                                                      22. It is fundamental that in any proposed amendment, which seeks to protect
                                                                                                                      the independence of the judiciary, wide discretion is not left to the government of
                                                                                                                      the day (and, by extension, the Oireachtas of the day which would be
                                                                                                                      empowered to enact the appropriate legislation giving effect to the pay
                                                                                                                      reductions) as to the circumstances in which and extent to which reductions in pay
                                                                                                                      are implemented. Otherwise, there is a risk of perception that the judiciary may be
                                                                                                                      influenced by the government.
                                                                                                                      23. The suggested draft wording invites a number of comments. First, the
                                                                                                                      language is extremely loose. It would provide no limitation on the circumstances
                                                                                                                      in which a reduction should be made; the government’s view of the “public
                                                                                                                      interest” (as reflected in the legislation enacted by the Oireachtas) would
                                                                                                                      suffice. There is no method of calculating the reduction identified. The only
                                                                                                                      figure by reference to which such a reduction should be effected is contained in a
                                                                                                                      phrase of very broad potential application, namely, “in the public interest”. But
                                                                                                                      perhaps most significantly, the bodies which are to be charged with deciding the
                                                                                                                      reduction, both as to whether it is required and by reference to what comparator
                                                                                                                      such reduction should be calculated, are the other branches of government, i.e., the
                                                                                                                      Executive and Legislative branches. At a minimum it might be thought that any P a g e | 10
                                                                                                                      amendment should closely and specifically identify the circumstances in which any
                                                                                                                      deviation from the historic principles set out in Article 35.5 could be contemplated
                                                                                                                      such as a financial crisis involving the public finances accompanied by the
                                                                                                                      mechanism by which any salary reduction should be calculated, which should itself
                                                                                                                      be independent of government.
                                                                                                                      24. There would be furthermore nothing to stop the Oireachtas enacting
                                                                                                                      legislation cutting the pay of any other office holder(s) and applying that
                                                                                                                      particular pay cut to the judiciary. There is nothing in the suggested wording
                                                                                                                      of the proposed amendment to prevent a series of “tactical” cuts being
                                                                                                                      applied to different classes of public servants, but each of whom can be
                                                                                                                      applied to the judiciary.
                                                                                                                      25. The proposed wording would also provide less safeguards than that
                                                                                                                      previously proposed during the last Dáil in the 29
                                                                                                                      th
                                                                                                                      Amendment of the
                                                                                                                      Constitution Bill, 2009:-
                                                                                                                      “The remuneration of a judge shall not be reduced during his continuance in
                                                                                                                      office, save where it is necessary to address a serious threat to the State’s
                                                                                                                      economy, there is a compelling need to stabilise the State’s finances and as a
                                                                                                                      consequence it is necessary to effect a reduction in public service
                                                                                                                      remuneration. In such circumstances, any reduction in the remuneration of
                                                                                                                      all public servants or in the remuneration of a class of public servants may
                                                                                                                      be applied to effect a comparable reduction in the remuneration of all
                                                                                                                      members of the judiciary.” P a g e | 11
                                                                                                                      26. Even then, however, that Bill would have been open to the fundamental
                                                                                                                      objection that it did not provide for an in-built mechanism for an
                                                                                                                      independent review of the levels of the reduction of judicial pay.
                                                                                                                      Conclusions
                                                                                                                      27. In our view, the suggested wording as published in the press is
                                                                                                                      fundamentally deficient and would compromise the substance of judicial
                                                                                                                      independence in the manner indicated. The principles of judicial
                                                                                                                      independence require that any decision regarding judicial remuneration and
                                                                                                                      the reduction in judicial pay must be taken by an independent body.
                                                                                                                      28. If it were otherwise, one of the essential features of a constitutional
                                                                                                                      democracy and the rule of law would be compromised. Many judges dealing
                                                                                                                      with asylum and immigration cases have encountered country of origin
                                                                                                                      information dealing with the position of judges in developing countries
                                                                                                                      where the independence of the judiciary is parlous and where such judges
                                                                                                                      have limited institutional independence.
                                                                                                                      29. A finding by a reputable international court or observations by an
                                                                                                                      international organisation that these fundamental guarantees of constitutional
                                                                                                                      independence had been - even unwittingly - compromised, were the
                                                                                                                      suggested wording for the amendment to be adopted, would have huge
                                                                                                                      reputational implications for Ireland and for confidence in our legal system.
                                                                                                                      That confidence is not only a bulwark of the Constitution’s freedoms which
                                                                                                                      we as citizens enjoy in a free society, but is an essential bedrock of
                                                                                                                      economic confidence on which our recovery from the ordeal to which the
                                                                                                                      State is at present subject is completely premised. P a g e | 12
                                                                                                                      30. This memorandum is not prepared in opposition to an amendment of the
                                                                                                                      Constitution so as to ensure that judges bear a fair share of the burden of pay
                                                                                                                      reductions, but rather proposes that, if this is to be achieved, the essence of
                                                                                                                      constitutional independence must be safeguarded by means of an independent
                                                                                                                      adjudication on what these reductions should be.
                                                                                                                      Cliffs on all of this what are you trying to say?

Comment

Hot damn!

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X