This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
    Why would you take 9/2 instead of the available 5/1?
    Don't worry I will be taking that as well. Hadn't checked the odds and somehow skimmed over that post.

Think they are way to big at both prices. France have to be favorites, which France turns up this year is yet to be seen but I think we can expect a fairly harmonious side for a change.

Scotland now have a bit of belief coming from Edinburgh doing well but still not their. Italy will beat someone. We have 2 tough games on the road and Wales are going to lose to us in the Aviva if Prestland doesn't make it back, get beaten by France and imo England.

Basically makes it a 2 horse race with England and France. France favorites but seems long odds for the second most likely.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Went to see The Descendants last night. Really liked it, thought Georgie Boy was immense although I'm admittedly a bit of a fanboy.

Shailene Woodley who plays his daughter in it is also immense

SPOILER

Comment

I guess I will be the only person backing England at the start out but looking at the fixture list I think that dropping them before they play France in the second last game should allow the odds to tighten nicely.

Few wins under the belt, brit press hailing the new champions prematurely will mean that they will be over backed going to Paris.

Comment

Redknapp can't help himself.

Apparently Saha to Spurs is a done deal.

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                You can still come unstuck though even with good planning.

I looked at sporting events closely ahead of booking the recent weekend away. Settled for the last weekend in Jan, as the Heino Cup group stages would be done, no EPL games and the 6N not on for another week. Only thing was the FA Cup, but I figured, chances are there wont be any massive ties I'll want to want to watch.

Of course the draw then chucks out Liverpool v Utd
                Romance is alive and well I see!

Comment

Feels slightly dirty to be promoting academic research in this way. Oh for the good old days where we did our research in dank cellars and communicated only in grunts.
                  Old days? Clearly you have been to the physics dept

Comment

Very little deadline day chat in here today.

Has Football been totally replaced by Hand Egg and Tea Bag worship?

Anyways Saha gone to Spurs which is a weird one and it looks like Ravel Morrison is off to West Ham.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                      I would take €50 if its open to anyone
                      booked

you can pay up after Scotland stuff them at the w/e

edit; you make very good points about England and they will get their shit together at some point, maybe when a proper coach arrives
                      Last edited by Raoul Duke III; 31-01-12, 12:57.
                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Why would you take 9/2 instead of the available 5/1?
                        England are generally 4/1, best-priced 9/2?

I am a nice guy so matching the 9/2

edit; you do all realise I am offering odds on England, not Ireland?
                        Last edited by Raoul Duke III; 31-01-12, 12:59.
                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                          Went to see The Descendants last night. Really liked it, thought Georgie Boy was immense although I'm admittedly a bit of a fanboy.

SPOILER
                          A strange gif, camera needs to be about a foot lower.

I was half guilty finding her attractive throughout the film as I thought she could have been an illegal but obv googled straight after to find she's well over the limit. Quality!
                          Profit before people.

Comment

I'm too busy laughing at what's happening to Rangers to take much notice of transfer deadline day.
                            Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                A strange gif, camera needs to be about a foot lower.

I was half guilty finding her attractive throughout the film as I thought she could have been an illegal but obv googled straight after to find she's well over the limit. Quality!
                                That was about the best I could find in the quick scan of google images I was willing to undertake at work - may be back later to fix it

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                  I'm too busy laughing at what's happening to Rangers to take much notice of transfer deadline day.
                                  Would you really want a league where Rangers weren't at least competitive with Celtic anymore? Standard is already dire in SPL, surely this isn't a good thing even from a haters pov.
                                  Profit before people.

Comment

Anyone know where I can get a cheap 19" monitor? Or if anyone on here is even selling one?

Comment

Comment

Always thought a Rangers collapse was inevitable, surely their worldwide support and therefore income streams are dwarfed by Celtic's? So beyond third party investment, there's surely no way long term they can compete on a level playing field with them and eventually in the SPL a gap will appear between the two? I assume these financial problems have been caused with them trying to keep up with a team that has far bigger annual income than they have. Or am I very much under-estimating Rangers here?
                                        "In the world, there are many kings but there is only one God. I am God, I am El Tren" :{)

Comment

Would you really want a league where Rangers weren't at least competitive with Celtic anymore? Standard is already dire in SPL, surely this isn't a good thing even from a haters pov.
                                          Othe teams will then have to oppertunity to step up.

The standard isn't that bad. It's not great, but it's not dire either. there are teams in the league who try and play decent passing football, and I'd rather watch a game between St. Mirren, Motherwell or Hearts this season than Wigan and Blackburn.

A league without Rangers would see more money going to the other clubs.

A league without Rangers would offer up a chance at Europe to another club, and the income benefit that comes along with it. It might take a while but within a few years the league would be on a far better financial footing.

Comment

Stokes is now the best striker in Scotland

SPOILER
                                            Seriously though he is, same amount of goals (17) as Jelavic although Jelavic scored more in the league but 5 of Nika's were penos - according to F365.

Comment

I don't see how a Rangers collapse in any way shape or form benefits other clubs financially tbh, and the seeding they'd lose in Europe would if anything cost them. It's not like Rangers are holding other clubs back, other clubs are at the level they're at because that's about as big as they can get, no Rangers doesn't really increase that ceiling for them. Hypothetically, if Rangers went out of business (I'm not following the situation so have no idea if that is or what isn't being talked about here), the only knock on effect other clubs would have is a huge loss in TV revenue, two of their biggest home gates of the season gone and tougher European fixtures.
                                              "In the world, there are many kings but there is only one God. I am God, I am El Tren" :{)

Comment

Originally posted by flushjee View Post
                                                Anyone know where I can get a cheap 19" monitor? Or if anyone on here is even selling one?
                                                www.adverts.ie or www.donedeal.ie. You should get something reasonable second hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Sledgejammer View Post
                                                  I don't see how a Rangers collapse in any way shape or form benefits other clubs financially tbh, and the seeding they'd lose in Europe would if anything cost them. It's not like Rangers are holding other clubs back, other clubs are at the level they're at because that's about as big as they can get, no Rangers doesn't really increase that ceiling for them. Hypothetically, if Rangers went out of business (I'm not following the situation so have no idea if that is or what isn't being talked about here), the only knock on effect other clubs would have is a huge loss in TV revenue, two of their biggest home gates of the season gone and tougher European fixtures.
                                                  Tougher fixtures, is this to do with having a lower coefficient? Meaning more frequent games against teams from Spain, Germany, England and Italy for example - which have a higher coefficient?

Comment

Othe teams will then have to oppertunity to step up.

The standard isn't that bad. It's not great, but it's not dire either. there are teams in the league who try and play decent passing football, and I'd rather watch a game between St. Mirren, Motherwell or Hearts this season than Wigan and Blackburn.

A league without Rangers would see more money going to the other clubs.

A league without Rangers would offer up a chance at Europe to another club, and the income benefit that comes along with it. It might take a while but within a few years the league would be on a far better financial footing.
                                                    It's dire, there isn't an argument here.

I'd imagine Rangers potential demise will also have knock affects of less TV deals and the European coefficient will likely plummet even lower which will obv make it tougher on Celtic to qualify. Be careful what you wish for.
                                                    Profit before people.

Comment

What's happening with them to cause financial problems? Thought they had a billionaire backer in the form of Joe Lewis
                                                      ENIC bailed out of their Rangers shares in 2005.

They were bought for the princely sum of £1 by "Motherwell born Billionaire" (lol) Craig Whyte, a renowned asset stripper who was disqualified from being a director for 5 years from 2002 to 2007.

The club had 18m of debt (and the rest) owed to Lloyds. Whytes shell company, Wavetower, assumed this debt, paid off Lloyds (apparently) and rangers still owe the money to him.

He mortgaged a percentage of the next 4 years season ticket money to ticketus for 24.4 million. how much of this 24m went into the club is unknown, as Rangers have failed to supply audited accounts up to June 2011 (as of this date). unaudited accounts were released and there still have not been an AGM called.

They were removed from the PLUS exchange for breach of rules surrounding the accounts/agm.

they have just sold their best asset, Jelavic, to Everton for less than what they paid for him.

They have an 49m tax judgement looming over them relating to potential EBT fraud.

Whyte has not paid any VAT since he took over.

they are subject to several lawsuits, including an unfair dismissal of the former CEO, martin Bain. Bain has managed to have 500k "ringfenced" as compensation in case Rangers go into liquidation before the case is resolved.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                        now IT geeks learned and respected experts of the BBV;

I have my HTPC in my living room, hooked up to my TV. Goodness as regards video content, streaming etc.

What I'd like to be able to do now is to play the music content that is stored on that in my kitchen; what should I be looking to purchase? Something like this yoke, I'm guessing (like the idea of the internet radio).

Or is there a better way?
                                                        i have this one and love it tbh.

Comment

Some here.
                                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                                                            Tougher fixtures, is this to do with having a lower coefficient? Meaning more frequent games against teams from Spain, Germany, England and Italy for example - which have a higher coefficient?
                                                            Yeah the non old firm sides benefit from effectively artificially high rankings caused by the big two who obviously increase their co-efficent dramatically compared to if the rest of the league were Scotlands only European sides. Lose one of those two and the co-efficent would, over a five year period, hit a pretty steep decline. The effect of that would be teams unseeded in qualifying rounds instead of seeded, or having to enter tournaments at even earlier qualifying rounds to begin with, making qualification for anything even harder, even for Celtic who struggle as is.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Sledgejammer View Post
                                                                I don't see how a Rangers collapse in any way shape or form benefits other clubs financially tbh, and the seeding they'd lose in Europe would if anything cost them.
                                                                The coefficient is based on 5 years previous results, and the SPL no longer has direct access to the CL, having to play in the second final qualifying round. Rangers lost this (and the EL qualifier)
                                                                It's not like Rangers are holding other clubs back, other clubs are at the level they're at because that's about as big as they can get, no Rangers doesn't really increase that ceiling for them. Hypothetically, if Rangers went out of business (I'm not following the situation so have no idea if that is or what isn't being talked about here), the only knock on effect other clubs would have is a huge loss in TV revenue, two of their biggest home gates of the season gone and tougher European fixtures.
                                                                Other clubs would have a chance at Europe from finishing first/second.

TV revenue would be unaffected for the next 5 years as a new deal was only signed this summer.
                                                                No rangers to take their share would mean their share gets split between other clubs.

Granted, clubs would be down 2 away gates a season, but a chance of becomeing more competitive would increase home tickets to compensate.

the SPL needs root and branch reform, and if it takes a few years pain to achieve that, then fair enough. but the current situation cannot continue.

Comment

It's dire, there isn't an argument here.
                                                                  how many games other than the two sky broadcast Derby's do you watch?

Comment

Originally posted by kakak1 View Post
                                                                    Karma for playing it
                                                                    Are you braindead?

Comment

Other clubs have a chance of qualifying for Europe then getting smashed in the qualifier and dropping the co-efficent even more.

Comment

Originally posted by Teddie View Post
                                                                        Other clubs have a chance of qualifying for Europe then getting smashed in the qualifier and dropping the co-efficent even more.
                                                                        the coefficient is already on a nosedive after this year. it can't get far worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Fitzy2010 View Post
                                                                          Are you braindead?
                                                                          Remember all those posts yesterday which you thanked where people were pointing you were being wound up, needed to chill, the more you reacted people would continue to do it etc. Remember all that?

Comment

The coefficient is based on 5 years previous results, and the SPL no longer has direct access to the CL, having to play in the second final qualifying round. Rangers lost this (and the EL qualifier)

Other clubs would have a chance at Europe from finishing first/second.

TV revenue would be unaffected for the next 5 years as a new deal was only signed this summer.
                                                                            No rangers to take their share would mean their share gets split between other clubs.

Granted, clubs would be down 2 away gates a season, but a chance of becomeing more competitive would increase home tickets to compensate.

the SPL needs root and branch reform, and if it takes a few years pain to achieve that, then fair enough. but the current situation cannot continue.
                                                                            Well okay, but five years from now where are you? Co-efficent in bits and a negotiating for a TV deal nobody will want. You think that is outweighed by every club getting a slice of Rangers TV money and some other side in the SPL getting to play in Europe? Playing in Europe for an SPL side is not like when Spurs made the CL and got ~15m or whatever, it'd be a Europa League qualifier that could be against some side from eastern Europe where they'd likely lose and likely struggle to break-even for the whole thing after expenses, this is the reality LOI clubs face and it's what 'Europe' is at that level. It's hardly the golden ticket, this European chance that is being granted means fuck all.

Where is the SPL five years from now, even just look at it from a Celtic POV. You've got a league where one team will win it by ~30 points every single year, a diminished European ranking and far less TV money which means weaker teams. So as a Celtic fan every season is a cake-walk in the league and out of Europe by September. Is that genuinely appealing? You think people will still be interested after years of that? I agree the SPL needs reform, but more so than that, unless something dramatic changes, Celtic needs Rangers. Financially, for Europe and for sheer fan entertainment, they need each other, much as they hate each other. If Rangers went busto, the SPL would suffer dramatically, there is no upside, long-run. At least a two horse race is somewhat interesting. Nobody will watch a one horse race, even fans of said horse.

I'd go as far as to say that short of Celtic themselves going busto that Rangers going busto would be about the nut worst thing that could happen to the club long-run, the money and support they'd lose without them would be staggering.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                              Remember all those posts yesterday which you thanked where people were pointing you were being wound up, needed to chill, the more you reacted people would continue to do it etc. Remember all that?
                                                                              LOL, yeahhh....haa

Comment

oh good Fitzy is back on, I wonder what he will make up today?

Comment

the coefficient is already on a nosedive after this year. it can't get far worse.

Of course it can. You are currently ranked 18th out of 53. It can get a lot worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

SPOILER
                                                                                    Saw it Sunday night. Liked it alright but not sure it deserved best picture or best actor nomination. Nice movie but didn't amaze me. Although the standard does seem pretty poor this year.

Said to my missus after that the daughter was going to be a huge star when she grew up (ie smoking hot !!).

Comment

Originally posted by davidadams View Post
                                                                                      oh good Fitzy is back on, I wonder what he will make up today?
                                                                                      You sad individual!

Comment

ffs, just let me enjoy rangers going bust without bringing logic into this!

Celtic will keep the co-efficient up by themselves anyway :P

Comment

Originally posted by Fitzy2010 View Post
                                                                                          You sad individual!
                                                                                          Hey Man,

Wanted to write this before you got banned but have the chance now.

Look, we all get a bit pissed off with someone not agreeing with us or taking threads off topic giving us shit but I think the main key on here is ignore it.

I have gotten a lot of shit on here and look back on it and the more I think about it, I brought it all on myself.

Kev, Danny, Dom and all the lads involved on here give a lot of time on this site to cut down on all the drool thats spouted here. I myself, still spouts shit sometimes and gets grief for it, but at the end of the day this is the internet. Most of the lads on here in real life are sound out and most of the time are just taking the piss.

Take Sickpuppy for example, he has been banned on here a few times for saying shit, but if you look at his other posts he is also quite helpful in strat threads etc.

At the end of the day, this forum is for a bit of craic and to discuss poker. Calling people names like "sad individual" and other things is pointless on here.

Just continue posting and if a poster bothers you trow him on ignore. I still get pretty pissed off with people on here but come across a bigger fool when I begin to argue with them.

You were given a ban (as was I before), just take it with a pinch of salt and move on, and most of all just enjoy the place.

Comment

I've an old one that I'll be getting rid of soon if you want it for free.
                                                                                            Official Head Marshall of Waterford Gay Pride Festival 2015

Comment

Originally posted by A_CitizenErased View Post
                                                                                              Hey Man,

Wanted to write this before you got banned but have the chance now.

Look, we all get a bit pissed off with someone not agreeing with us or taking threads off topic giving us shit but I think the main key on here is abusing people over the internet is fun.

I have gotten a lot of shit on here and look back on it and the more I think about it, I brought it all on myself.

Kev, Danny, Dom and all the lads involved on here give a lot of time on this site to cut down on all the drool thats spouted here. I myself, still spouts shit, but at the end of the day this is the internet. Most of the lads on here in real life are sound out and most of the time are just taking the piss.

Take Sickpuppy for example, he has been banned on here a few times for telling the truth, but if you look at his other posts he is also quite helpful in strat threads etc.

At the end of the day, this forum is for discussing poker. Calling people names like "sad individual" and other things is a bit of craic.

Just continue posting and if a poster bothers you hurl abuse at them. I still get pretty pissed off with people on here but come across a bigger fool when I begin to argue with them.

You were given a ban (as was I before), just take it with a pinch of salt and move on, and most of all just enjoy the place.
                                                                                              fyp
                                                                                              Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

A_CE - you're missing a 'D' in your sig; I'd never bother pointing out mistakes in individual posts but since we'll be seeing the sig every single time you post, you might as well sort it out.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                                  A_CE - you're missing a 'D' in your sig; I'd never bother pointing out mistakes in individual posts but since we'll be seeing the sig every single time you post, you might as well sort it out.
                                                                                                  here was me thinking it fitted perfectly with the banner
                                                                                                  48

Comment

Which six players won Championship medals in both the old First Division and the Premier League?

Comment

Originally posted by Megatron View Post
                                                                                                      Which six players won Championship medals in both the old First Division and the Premier League?
                                                                                                      Eric Cantona and David Seaman definitely anyway.

Comment

a wee song for all those IPB banned folk, thgts are with you ..............

Comment

Yeah King Eric and all the old Arsenal defence Adams Dixon Bould ect...
                                                                                                          Profit before people.

Comment

Lee Dixon and Winterburn too.

Comment

David Batty? Leeds and Blackburn

Comment

stevie G

ooh wait no maybe not
                                                                                                                48

Comment

Six players have bagged four goals in a PL game without ever scoring just three.

Name them.

Comment

Six players have bagged four goals in a PL game without ever scoring just three.

Name them.
                                                                                                                    Yakubu.

Comment

yakubu also ate the other 5 answers to this question, thus absorbing their records, so the correct and only answer is Yakubu.

Comment

arse shaven
                                                                                                                        48

Comment

Yeah arshavin for sho. Viduka? i know he scored 4 against Arsenal before but not sure if he got a hat trick as well sometime.
                                                                                                                          Profit before people.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X