Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First hand in a sat to the $200k, all in with Q's vs AK and AT, T on flop and river. GG.

Comment

Originally posted by Teddie View Post
      First hand in a sat to the $200k, all in with Q's vs AK and AT, T on flop and river. GG.
      Wouldnt be so bad if it was the AK that hit but 2 10's eh. Hate to hear people say "Hes due a big one". Nobodys due a big one. Unless he can run so good as to win 10+ of these races in the course of a big tourney. Bleh its all about run good.

Comment

Have yet to see a single good reason for politicians or anyone else wearing a suit. Actions and words should speak a hell of a lot louder than how much someone spent on uncomfortable clothes.

Comment

If suits arent comfortable, you're doing it wrong. I love a good suit.
          http://mobro.co/zuroph
          donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
            Yeah, the Dail is the same thing as a global company in a very young sector with almost no outward visibility of employees, particularly in the former case.

Jobs has the dotty professor "this is so cool what we can do now thing" because he is trying to make Apple look like something it is not. He wants them to seem like the quirky little company with the good ideas rather than the enormous global market leader. Converse, jeans, t-shirt say the former while a suit says the latter.

Members of the Dail should look like men and women who take serious decisions. It instills confidence both within and without the country in them whether consciously or not. I certainly know that, without knowing who either of them were beforehand, I would take anything Enda Kenny said more seriously than Mick Wallace or Luke Flanagan because of the manner in which he comports himself. We are trying to get Europe to take us seriously and not see us in the same light as the Greeks in particular. Having elected members of the chamber dress appropriately is, frankly, something they shouldn't have ever had to make grown men do.

Also, a massive LOL at anyone using the "bankers wore suits and look where we are now" when Mick Wallace (who is not a bankrupt yet btw, if he was he couldn't be a TD) was a massive property developer who made a lot of money off the property bubble himself. Least he could do with it is pop into Louis Copeland's no?
            Europe will respect Irish politicians when they get the country in order or at least when we look like we are getting there. They've seen the blokes in suits fuck it up.

If somebody feels more productive and/or creative in a t-shirt and jeans then that is what I want them to wear in Leinster House while working to make things better for all of us.
            'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

I presume because Apple core audience is young and/or trendy people so they have their staff dress more in line with that in terms of a t-shirt and casual pants. Similar to why HMV don't make their staff were suits and ties. As for internal in google and apple, I presume because they have little to no interaction with the public. I'm not really pro-dress code, never I was, if Mick Wallace wants to look like a homeless person then fair enough but I can understand why somewhere like the Dail would introduce a dress code and I can understand why bansk would aswell. Argue all you like, but if I went to a bank to discuss a large loan or mortage and a person wearing a t-shirt and shorts invited me into his office to discuss it I would get up and leave.
              That's cool, you are free to act irrationally and illogically if you choose.

As for the "they don't deal with the public" argument.: the TDs in question presented themselves to their electorate with this dress and styling - and the electorate deemed it acceptable. That is the only standard that matters.

Some of the most profitable companies in the world don't give a fuck what their employees wear to work so long as they do not offend others. The offices of Google are a "serious place of business".

Basically, the idea of a dress code is bollocks that certain people are conditioned to buy into. Fair enough if you can't function without your suit - but I'd really prefer if our TDs were spending their time more productively.
              "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                This guy didnt turn out great:

Yes he did.
                X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

I'm with Icarus's curb post. And with Jim Bolger who maintains to look neat and tidy on the horse and not be all over the place on the horse. "If he's a no hoper he's a no hoper but just so long as you look good on it"

Comment

Limerick v Waterford. Winner v Wexford.
                    Tyrone v Wicklow/Armagh. Winner v loser of (Mayo/Roscommon).
                    Antrimv Down. Winner v Cork.
                    Meath v Kildare. Winner v loser of (Donegal/Derry).

(First tie is like an interloper from hurling.)

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                      but I'd really prefer if our TDs were spending their time more productively.
                      Does the suit pre-occupy a lot of their time? Its those fiddley ties, isnt it???!
                      http://mobro.co/zuroph
                      donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

Originally posted by Zuroph View Post
                        Does the suit pre-occupy a lot of their time? Its those fiddley ties, isnt it???!
                        It clearly does, the country is going down the toilet and we're practically ready to have a referendum on fucking dress codes.

Almost as if they're trying to deflect attention from the real issues.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                          Limerick v Waterford. Winner v Wexford.
                          Tyrone v Wicklow/Armagh. Winner v loser of (Mayo/Roscommon).
                          Antrimv Down. Winner v Cork.
                          Meath v Kildare. Winner v loser of (Donegal/Derry).

(First tie is like an interloper from hurling.)
                          Could have been a lot worse for Kildare imo.

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                            It clearly does, the country is going down the toilet and we're practically ready to have a referendum on fucking dress codes.

Almost as if they're trying to deflect attention from the real issues.
                            Almost? The first act of this government? Cut down on state car expenditure so that ministers can be less efficient at their jobs. Slow hand clap tbh.
                            "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by White Knight View Post
                              Could have been a lot worse for Kildare imo.
                              Kildare are an irrelevance as far as winning an All Ireland is concerned. Would be surprised to see them make the quarter finals.

Comment

the second nut worst draw in the football.

Great

Comment

Members of the Dail should look like men and women who take serious decisions. It instills confidence both within and without the country in them whether consciously or not. I certainly know that, without knowing who either of them were beforehand, I would take anything Enda Kenny said more seriously than Mick Wallace or Luke Flanagan because of the manner in which he comports himself. We are trying to get Europe to take us seriously and not see us in the same light as the Greeks in particular. Having elected members of the chamber dress appropriately is, frankly, something they shouldn't have ever had to make grown men do.
                                  I think the debate is running rather at cross purposes.

You are arguing that with the, frankly, arbitrary sartorial conventions that have been adopted in society that it behoves someone in a position of authority to dress in a manner which befits their position as it is expected by society.

Others are arguing that the actual existence of the arbitrary sartorial conventions are silly. No-one is denying that wearing a suit is considered socially appropriate for positions of authority. But some are saying that it is a negative social convention, and that to change it requires a beginning.

With the prospect of any change you can look at it from either perspectives of the dialectic. In your case from the perspective of what currently is, and in others from the perspective of what they wish it to be. Any change is movement away from one and towards the other.

So from within the perspective of extant societal norms a move towards separating clothing from judgement of character would look like this: inappropriate, somewhat appropriate, appropriate. And a new societal norm would prevail.

Suit wearing and its meaning in our society is not likely to change anytime soon. I'm an iconoclast so I would love to see TDs wearing whatever they feel like. But most TDs want to wear suits, both they and the electorate have bought into the convention. If the majority of the members of the Dail want to uphold that then it's probably fair enough. It's up to them how they want their chambers run.

I think the backlash against it by many is interesting because it seems like "suit" is being used as a reification of style over substance, and in particular that substance being trustworthiness. And we're all thinking expensive, dapper, power type suits here right? It's a part of that current societal drive towards emasculation I was talking about recently.

Also I did this IQ test today specifically for African Americans (check out the name ):

Comment

Late reg for the Sunday Storm and last a grand total of 3 hands

Comment

Basically, the idea of a dress code is bollocks that certain people are conditioned to buy into.
                                      This is nonsense. Study after study conducted in school environments show that uniforms increase productivity among the students and decrease certain other behaviors. Dress codes are commonly used for all sorts of reasons. In this particular instance I believe it is necessary because of the serious nature of the work being done and you are free to believe otherwise.

However this nonsense about people being "conditioned" is just laughable and belies a weakness in your position that you think that you need to accuse the people making the point of being at fault rather than restraining yourself to the point itself.
                                      You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                      World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

This is nonsense. Study after study conducted in school environments show that uniforms increase productivity among the students and decrease certain other behaviors.
                                        You are talking about battling immaturity and all that goes with it here.
                                        'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

dress code me bollox Im the only one wearing a formal cap

Comment

That's cool, you are free to act irrationally and illogically if you choose.

As for the "they don't deal with the public" argument.: the TDs in question presented themselves to their electorate with this dress and styling - and the electorate deemed it acceptable. That is the only standard that matters.

Some of the most profitable companies in the world don't give a fuck what their employees wear to work so long as they do not offend others. The offices of Google are a "serious place of business".

Basically, the idea of a dress code is bollocks that certain people are conditioned to buy into. Fair enough if you can't function without your suit - but I'd really prefer if our TDs were spending their time more productively.

I disagree on that, unless you think the majority of people are irrationaly or illogical. If someone isn't going to bother dressing themselves in a decent and respectable manner then they can think again if I am going to enter into a couple of 100k contract, or even a couple of thousand.

V for Vendetta made the point that one of the reasons for purchasing his new car was because of the impression it gave to potential clients, you made think it's "irrational and illigical" thinking but it's pretty much spot on. Do you honestly think somewhere like a car sales room or bank would be just as profitable if they had worse shorts and t-shirts then one that wears suits and ties?

Comment

First time I ever left a hurling match early, that even includes 2008. Never ben a big anti-Davy person like some in Waterford have, but get him out, do it quickly. Tactically inept, his bizarre-o decisions have left the players playing with zero confidence, cleaned out in full back line obv but also midfield and half forward line - wtf. Tipp unbeatable today but we made it very very easy for them

Comment

Almost? The first act of this government? Cut down on state car expenditure so that ministers can be less efficient at their jobs. Slow hand clap tbh.
                                                How does making ministers' chauffeurs civillians ranter than Gardai make the ministers any less efficient at their jobs? It makes perfect sense to me. The other cost cutting measure was that most ministers now have to supply their own cars, which is also perfectly reasonable.

Comment

I tend to agree with hotspur that we are at cross purposes but in a choice between changing how three people dress and how the world views certain sartorial conventions I know which I would rather the government changed.

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                    First time I ever left a hurling match early, that even includes 2008. Never ben a big anti-Davy person like some in Waterford have, but get him out, do it quickly. Tactically inept, his bizarre-o decisions have left the players playing with zero confidence, cleaned out in full back line obv but also midfield and half forward line - wtf. Tipp unbeatable today but we made it very very easy for them
                                                    wouldn't blame ya kev, i left early in 2008. its a lousy thing to do to the team when they look up and see the stands emptying 20/25mins before the finish. but WTF the supporters payed big money to get tickets/grub/travel and whatever else, god knows money isn't easy to come by these days and a trip like that could set your average punter back €200 easy and to be treated to a display like that is fucking disgracefull.

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

never left a game early in my life just out of respect for the players. Follow them during the good times and dont your your back on them during the bad

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
                                                        never left a game early in my life just out of respect for the players. Follow them during the good times and dont your your back on them during the bad
                                                        I just couldnt sit through that shite again. I follow them through all times, including freezing my hole off in January in the Waterford Crystal Cup. But today just took the piss.

Comment

You have written some drivel in your day but that takes the bikkie, I kind of hope you are leveling now.

School uniforms is yet another straw man you have thrown into this argument.

The real point that you are missing is that the world changed many years ago and wearing fancy dress does not equal showing showing respect at any level.
                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

The only match I ever left early was the Cork Kerry All Ireland semi-final a few years back, Cork were getting a hiding and weren't trying a leg. Prob worst match I've ever been at. + upper tier was closed all way around the ground so atmosphere was non-existent.

Bk, respect for GAA players but not for poker players??

Comment

I disagree on that, unless you think the majority of people are irrationaly or illogical. If someone isn't going to bother dressing themselves in a decent and respectable manner then they can think again if I am going to enter into a couple of 100k contract, or even a couple of thousand.

V for Vendetta made the point that one of the reasons for purchasing his new car was because of the impression it gave to potential clients, you made think it's "irrational and illigical" thinking but it's pretty much spot on. Do you honestly think somewhere like a car sales room or bank would be just as profitable if they had worse shorts and t-shirts then one that wears suits and ties?
                                                              I meant to make the point to Olly at the time but for me and many sensible prospective customers the sight of him driving a ridic overpriced car is a sign that he is getting too much out of the deal, so no sale.

And obv the majority are illogical and irrational.

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface ste View Post
                                                                The only match I ever left early was the Cork Kerry All Ireland semi-final a few years back, Cork were getting a hiding and weren't trying a leg. Prob worst match I've ever been at. + upper tier was closed all way around the ground so atmosphere was non-existent.

Bk, respect for GAA players but not for poker players??
                                                                I was at this too, terrible game, first GAA match I ever brought her to and she read her book all the way through it, can't say I blamed her.

Brought her to Anfield for Pool v Barcelona a few years back, Barca schooled that night and again she was present to see the team I was supporting take a hiding.
                                                                Two for Two and she hasn't (been allowed to)come to a game with me since!

Attention sports fans, Seve:The Legend on BBC1 tonight at 10:25
                                                                We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act, but a habit.

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                  I just couldnt sit through that shite again. I follow them through all times, including freezing my hole off in January in the Waterford Crystal Cup. But today just took the piss.
                                                                  Just saw John Mullane saying hed like to apologise to the fans very likeable player pure warrior

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
                                                                    Dunno about in GAA but in football sometimes the players really dont deserve any respect with their performances. That said I dont think Ive ever left a game early either other than a few times when I knew I could only get the 1st half in before heading to work.

On school uniforms Im almost certain I would have done better in school if there hadn't been a uniform, or if I had gone to one of the best schools in Galway which didn't have a uniform either.

Comment

Kildare are an irrelevance as far as winning an All Ireland is concerned. Would be surprised to see them make the quarter finals.
                                                                      Would you like to have a little bet on that?

Comment

Colombia playing some sexy football. Cannot wait for them to go far

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                          I meant to make the point to Olly at the time but for me and many sensible prospective customers the sight of him driving a ridic overpriced car is a sign that he is getting too much out of the deal, so no sale.

I don't make the rules Tony. I was very happy driving a 12 year old Seat Toledo. But it didn't go with the consulting image so I got a cheap mazda 6 which was the bare minimum acceptable to clients.

For the new job it just doesn't cut it. I'm asking a guy to invest €5m+ with us and I just can't rock up in the mazda I'm afraid. People do care about this shit.

I've been in some very fancy offices over the years and thought what the f**k are we paying for here but that sh1t does work for a certain type of person.

Btw if you do have a few bob to invest don't let the car put you off - I'll cut you a special BBV deal you grumpy sod .
                                                                          ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Alot would see it as a sign that he's getting a lot of business so he must be good at his job.

Comment

I'd like to see it again on TV but I thought Kildare's young forwards O'Connor and Dowling were just awesome yesterday. Dowling's distribution was very impressive and some of the scores from Lynch, O'Neill and Kavanagh's goal were very encouraging and we finally have a top class full back in Mick Foley.

I''m more apprehensive about meeting resurgent Meath than I would be of playing again against an over exposed Dublin team who aren't nearly as good as they think they are.

Comment

If I was the unhappy independent TDs I think I'd go with top hat and tails in the dail for the next while. It's less then 100 years since wearing a day suit to parliament was a sign of your rejection of the establishment.

Make your point that way on a daily basis.

I can see Ming now......
                                                                                ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

The real point that you are missing is that the world changed many years ago and wearing fancy dress does not equal showing showing respect at any level.
                                                                                  Yeah the school uniforms was a straw man but mostly cause I am bored with the argument. The world hasn't changed that much. Look at the people in charge 100 years and and look now. The ones who are running the show are the same people and dress the same way more or less.

The fancy dress comment is funny though. It's probably the most common form of dress in the western world. It's formal because the western world has decided, as hotspur rightly says, it's the appropriate attire for occasions we deem to be important. I consider meetings of the Dail important occasions.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                                    I don't make the rules Tony. I was very happy driving a 12 year old Seat Toledo. But it didn't go with the consulting image so I got a cheap mazda 6 which was the bare minimum acceptable to clients.

For the new job it just doesn't cut it. I'm asking a guy to invest €5m+ with us and I just can't rock up in the mazda I'm afraid. People do care about this shit.

I've been in some very fancy offices over the years and thought what the f**k are we paying for here but that sh1t does work for a certain type of person.

Btw if you do have a few bob to invest don't let the car put you off - I'll cut you a special BBV deal you grumpy sod .
                                                                                    If you are doing B to B thats quite different I suppose Olly, though when I was running small struggling businesses I would run a mile from anyone who looked like they weren't hungry themselves and if they had paid for any form of ISO certification they were off the list straight away.

Its actually a bit like the suit argument in regards to style over substance.
                                                                                    Alot would see it as a sign that he's getting a lot of business so he must be good at his job.
                                                                                    Yea its a strange one that, as I said most people are irrational and illogical

Comment

Jim's missus is delish

Comment

If I was the unhappy independent TDs I think I'd go with top hat and tails in the dail for the next while. It's less then 100 years since wearing a day suit to parliament was a sign of your rejection of the establishment.

Make your point that way on a daily basis.

I can see Ming now......
                                                                                        I was thinking that those who should wear Women's clothes, the whole 9 Tranny yards as they can and do wear more or less what they like.

Comment

Yeah the school uniforms was a straw man but mostly cause I am bored with the argument. The world hasn't changed that much. Look at the people in charge 100 years and and look now. The ones who are running the show are the same people and dress the same way more or less.

The fancy dress comment is funny though. It's probably the most common form of dress in the western world. It's formal because the western world has decided, as hotspur rightly says, it's the appropriate attire for occasions we deem to be important. I consider meetings of the Dail important occasions.
                                                                                          Indeed.

Not only that but I've actually taken to wearing them more and more myself lately for all sorts of non formal do's.

Comment

I''m more apprehensive about meeting resurgent Meath than I would be of playing again against an over exposed Dublin team who aren't nearly as good as they think they are.
                                                                                            Kildare's forwards were impressive but LOL at this. So much wrong with this sentence. Dublin have no illusions of where they are, especially after today. Lots of the drooler fans have a mad estimation of them but not the team itself. They want to win Sam but realistically that means beating Kerry or Cork or both. Dublin aren't capable of that yet. They are coming along well but they're not good enough yet.

However they are good enough to beat Kildare. That said Kildare are certainly capable of beating Dublin on their day too. Meath are cannon fodder for Kildare right now. Kildare are just a different class to Meath at the moment although there are signs of Meath coming back to former heights.

Comment

The above post is designed to keep a good row going strewel, ive been enjoying it

Comment

I can see Ming now......
                                                                                                One time Ming

Comment

I was recently wondering what ever happened to men wearing hats? Re-watched 'The Apartment' recently and all the guys wore hats. And I thought they looked pretty cool.

Also remember one of my grandads ( died in the early 1980's) wearing a hat all the time. Though neither my dad or myself have ever had one.
                                                                                                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Yea its a strange one that, as I said most people are irrational and illogical

I'd consider handing over a couple of 100k to guy to invest as he deems fit who drives

And invites you to his office here to sign it away

a lot more irrational and illogical.

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
                                                                                                      Colombia playing some sexy football. Cannot wait for them to go far
                                                                                                      Been looking on fb and of my Colombian mates' status' the last hour or so are "Te amo Falcao <3"

Comment

How would you price up the Final 5 in The Apprentice? (without margin).
                                                                                                        I'm thinking 6/4 Tom, 3/1 Sue, 3/1 Helen, 9/1 Jim, 1000/1 Natasha.
                                                                                                        So 40%, 25%, 25%, 10%, 0%.

Comment

no way susan 3/1 push her to 5/1 min

Comment

The sickest thing that could happen this year would be for Kildare to make it back to Croke Park in September without having the satisfaction of putting Dublin back in their box

Comment

The sickest thing that could happen this year would be for Kildare to make it back to Croke Park in September without having the satisfaction of putting Dublin back in their box
                                                                                                              Weak effort. Kildare could beat Cork maybe but not Kerry. Dublin will make semi finals at best. A good draw would be Kildare Dublin in the semis.

Comment

and there in a nutshell is why Kidare will always be also rans, the fixation with Dublin. When it comes to lol Gaaball and suitabe attire for the dail it's Kerry you need to fixate upon.

havn't got me reading casses so may have selected an incorrect smiley
                                                                                                                Last edited by Solskjaer; 10-07-11, 21:12.

Comment

Gonna open a boyles account for the Open.

Could one of the lads who works there clear up €40 bonus?

I open an account, deposit €20, place a €20 bet and there will be €40 in my account the next day is it?
                                                                                                                  Thanks for any replies.

Comment

No way Tom is favourite for this

Comment

I'd consider handing over a couple of 100k to guy to invest as he deems fit who drives

And invites you to his office here to sign it away

a lot more irrational and illogical.
                                                                                                                      Bah I can't find a pic of my old buddy Breffnie with one of his expensive cars, I think there was a Ferrari once, definitely a porche at one time so this will suffice.
                                                                                                                      BTW I was recommending a New Passat over a BMW for Olly as a much more solid reliable image.
                                                                                                                      Last edited by Strewelpeter; 10-07-11, 21:20.

Comment

I have been watching this without seeing any forum discussion. Is this pricing the general consensus?

I would have Jim and Helen as clear favourites?
                                                                                                                        Susan seems to be competent and likeable but maybe a little green.
                                                                                                                        Jim has been very impressive, albeit he seems a little untrustworthy.
                                                                                                                        Helen has been the most impressive, her failure to "get" the reinvestment task might show her up in the end.

Tom.....I like him and obv Sugar does too. That being said I can't see him winning, he would be eaten alive by all the other contestants in a negotiation setting(including Natasha).

Natasha ....well she is the dimmest person ever in the final five of an apprentice.

So I would price it;

Helen 3/1, Jim 4/1, Tom 7/1, Susan 8/1 and any price on that "yeh...lad's mag, yeh, blow your load, yeh."

I personally would hire Jim.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown View Post
                                                                                                                          So I would price it;

Helen 3/1, Jim 4/1, Tom 7/1, Susan 8/1 and any price on that "yeh...lad's mag, yeh, blow your load, yeh."

I personally would hire Jim.
                                                                                                                          I'd take a punt on Susan at 8's if those were the prices, think they are more accurate in terms of places so far on show. (prob flip Susan and Toms position). The fast food ep should be good this week but can't wait for the interview phase to see what Jim comes up with

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X