X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EARMUFFS View Post
    As a side to the diving/playacting..

I coach the U6s for my local club (GAA) and we have a few lads who turn up in their favourite soccer team colours(no issues with that by the way).

One of the kids has got great natural ablity.. can kick off both feet already, good coordination balance etc. However during the game at the end of the training he is constantly going down injured clutching his knee and rolling around after the slightest touch. Last week he fell down and held on to his shin, when i went over to him i noticed he had shin pads on and he said Water! Water! my shin needs water. He's 4 !
    lol yeah - I used to work the GAA summer camps a few years ago - this kind of carry on was noticable any time a world/european cup was going on and it would pass with the end of a tournament. Suppose all you can do is humor them and hope they grow out of it

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
      I really don't believe that is true at all. Yes, they were despicable. And everyone loathed them for it at the time, and rightly so.
      My entire hatred of Murinho started based on his teams tactics from that day in 2003. Dying swans and 12 angry men for every decision.
      Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Moneymaker View Post
        Nope, the only way it'll vanish in football is with strong and decisive leadership at the top. Bring in new rules and video evidence and punish the likes of Alves and Biscuits.
        One thing that I thought was interesting recently in this sort of vein as well.

I was listening to an interview with Matt Williams where he spoke about his time with Leinster. He mentioned how ahead of some game away in France he had DJ Carey come in as a motivational speaker to the Leinster lads.

The one statement Carey made that he said visibly affected the Leinster players was in reference to Kilkenny's attitude to going out onto the pitch, which basically amounted to "If there's any bullying to be done out on the pitch today, we'll be the guys doing it".

Needless to say Leinster went out and beat up a load of French pansies for 80 minutes FTW.

This attitude (despite the fact that some people may find the idea of "bullying" repugnant) is one of the most important things in sport IMO.

It's about champagne players (like DJ Carey, Brian O'Driscoll, Colm Cooper, Messi etc etc etc) having the guts to go out onto the pitch and go all guns blazing despite knowing that they're going to be targeted by the opposition for rough (occasionally appaling) treatment.

Moreover, it's about saying, each time it happens, fuck you you're not going to intimidate me and looking for the ball again and skinning the cunt who's after doing you, it's about clattering back into him and seeing how likes it, it's about not allowing the guy the slightest whiff of an idea that any of his strong arm bullshit is going to knock you off your game.

The rolling around on the ground, trying to get people sent off, surrounding the ref looking for protection like he was your mom is the opposite approach - the one that your average soccer player adopts unfortunately - and it's rotten to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by A_CitizenErased View Post
          The old man got two tickets to the Champions League final for his birthday off the mother. Taking me with him.Surprised me this morning. Serious fucking brag right now.
          Nice one dude....does it not clash with UKIPT Cork?

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
            Sport Sport Sport Sport Sport Sport Sport Sport Sport Sport! (to be recited like a jingle) Isn't it amazing we spend so much time thinking of, talking about, arguing for and against and defending our positions with regard it? Gotta get an Evolutionary Psychologist in here to help us explain the why and how, as on basic inspection (for a lot of people) it seems like a waste of both time, effort and money to so fully devote yourself to following sports and identifying with a team whose members don't know or care about you. It must be to fulfill some innate need, an evolutionary afterthought of some sorts, us versus them, our tribe of hairless apes versus the 'other' from the next patch of forest?

Anyone got any links to any good bits of scholarship on sports and evolutionary psychology?

Sport does rule
            now that our life is inordinately sanitised, it's a harmless replacement for war

a bit like poker that way
            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
              The problem is that these aren't issues that arise occasionally, they are so common now they are built into the DNA of football. I think its ridiculous for "fans" to take exception about diving, harrassment etc when its done about a specific occasion. The problem is everyone always does it when it suits their cause. Henry scores with his hand, Ireland is in uproar. Keane gets a penalty for nothing, no-one says a word. Every week players from every single team dive. For years players have been harrassing the refs. Delusional fans are always manage to convince themselves that their team don't cheat, and when they do they are just trying to make up for the injustices they have suffered. Its nonsense.

I hate the way Alves acts, but all he is doing is playing the game the way it is setup at the moment. There is no point in complaining about a specific players actions, at the moment unless FIFA (or UEFA or whatever) make an issue about these actions and try and drive it out the game it won't stop.
              I do agree that there is an institutional failure behind all this, but I also think that fans and the media can and should spend plenty of time complaining about it, because there is no other way that it will be changed. Nobody wants to shrug their shoulders and accept it, and nobody wants to give up on the game altogether, because we love the game and want to see it played in the right spirit.
              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

The above quote attempts to invalidate the efforts of the vast majority of people who play sport on a weekly basis - from five a side failures like myself all the way up to professionals like Dirk Kuyt or Ji Sung Park who maximise everything they've got through a relentless will and determination.
                Xavi's actually a notorious heckler at the local 5-a-sides and takes great pleasure from shaming the players into an early bath.

Comment

Originally posted by ferg View Post
                  Nice one dude....does it not clash with UKIPT Cork?
                  Ukipt Cork Finishes on the 22nd of May?

And to answer question. No it doesnt.
                  Last edited by A_CitizenErased; 28-04-11, 11:21.

Comment

What are we thinking of this one?

Find Commercial Property For Sale in Ireland. Search 4,232 commercial properties for sale in Ireland on Daft.ie now.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

So we're all agreed then, Barcelona rock!

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                        It must be to fulfill some innate need, an evolutionary afterthought of some sorts, us versus them, our tribe of hairless apes versus the 'other' from the next patch of forest?

Anyone got any links to any good bits of scholarship on sports and evolutionary psychology?

Sport does rule
                        Weird that you should use the term hairless ape because the zoologist and anthropologist Desmond Morris analysed and wrote about UK football fans in the way you are talking about and his first big book was called The Naked Ape.

I think in his book Manwatching he compared football fans at matches with apes. I remember glossy pictures of them. He also wrote a book specifically on football called The Soccer Tribe, but I haven't read it.

Comment

Great Rivaldo impression here

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                            I don't mean to pick on you CHD, but I'm sick of people casually referring to the rest of humanity as droolers. Its such a ridiculous and self serving attitude to have.
                            Agreed, but I have been called it enough times wrongly to have a right to use it where appropriate and to exaggerate it.
                            Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                            Christ almighty. How difficult a concept is to understand? A person can admire the quality of Barcelona's football at the same time as despising their play-acting and referee harassing antics.

How is it such a great sin to point out that the incredibly admirable qualities of this team are degraded by their despicable traits? How is it not blindingly obvious that some people fawn over Barca way too much and refuse to acknowledge that the team has some glaring flaws?

Sure you can argue that it is hyprocritical for a Chelsea fan to complain about players feigning injury when their star striker was one of the worst in the world for this. The same applies to a United fan complaining about referee harassment, or a Liverpool fan complaining about diving. It doesn't change the fact that they are right.
                            <3

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                            If I was Pep I'd be showing messers Pedro, Biscuits and Alves feature length videos of Damien Duff on how to dive whilst still maintaining a generally innocent and widly loved reputation. Probably worth flying him out for a few days to learn from the master himself. Actually mucho respect to the guy as he's probably playing for the nicest, most family orientated club in world football (fulham) and has still managed to completely fool the masses.
                            Duff was born to dive.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post

http://www.daft.ie/searchcommercial.daft?id=76212
                              cafe's either side.

Comment

Comment

Irish Open starts on 3rd of May at 23:50 on RTE

Comment

On Judd Trump 6/5 against Ding here. He's impressed me most so far in the tournament.
                                    Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                      cafe's either side.
                                      Competition is good for business.
                                      Two ATM's indicate a huge footfall but IIRC at busy times there is a queue across the door of the shop preventing people from getting near you. Better as a Huckster shop where people can buy cigs, gum sweets etc. to get change from the notes from the ATM's
                                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post

http://www.daft.ie/searchcommercial.daft?id=76212
                                          good but isnt there a coffee shop with a outdoor seating area just beside it?
                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                            Weird that you should use the term hairless ape because the zoologist and anthropologist Desmond Morris analysed and wrote about UK football fans in the way you are talking about and his first big book was called The Naked Ape.

I think in his book Manwatching he compared football fans at matches with apes. I remember glossy pictures of them. He also wrote a book specifically on football called The Soccer Tribe, but I haven't read it.
                                            Ah, not too weird - I'm actually finishing (finally getting around to it) Jared Diamond's The Rise and Fall of the Third Chimpanzee at the moment, I wasn't trying to be pejorative with hairless ape at all, we'll all just bald chimps really, whether refined yachtsmen or tattoo-of-Wayne-Rooney-on-shouldered chavs!

Funny reading the Third Chimpanzee after having read his Guns, Germs & Steel and Collapse previously, those two books are really just expanded versions of chapters in the earlier book. All enjoyable enough though.

Anyone watch Civilization: Is The West History? on Channel 4 recently? I recorded them and am making my way through the six episodes; they are entertaining but you wouldn't want to place much weight on Professor Niall Ferguson's conclusions I think, they sound more like suppositions to me. It really feels like he cherry-picks facts to support his conclusions (i.e. 'South America had X, North America had Y, that is why North American countries are so much more successful' - what about all the other factors you've conveniently left out Prof?!!!), guess the TV format doesn't support in-depth historical analysis really!

Comment

Also, a loud "what the fuck?" to this rubbish. I remember reading that article after a friend of mine was raving about it to me and scratching my head.

I go out and play football every Tuesday. As aodea on here will tell you I:

a) cannot kick snow off a rope;
                                              b) enjoy it as much as anyone out there inspite of that fact;

I can't take down fired long range passes with one touch, beat two guys and score. But I can tackle, and run, and get blocks in, and make runs to make space for more competent team-mates etc, etc. Football is not just about artful technique and quick passing. It is also about competing, about representing oneself and being part of a team. About working together to win as a group. And that's not just football, it's sport as a whole.

The above quote attempts to invalidate the efforts of the vast majority of people who play sport on a weekly basis - from five a side failures like myself all the way up to professionals like Dirk Kuyt or Ji Sung Park who maximise everything they've got through a relentless will and determination. There is a joy to winning, and there is great personal utility to be derived from stopping technical players from what they are trying to do - the fun is not reserved for them alone. There is an art to defending, to using tactics and determination to get the desired result.

Brian O' Driscoll will be remembered for some awesome tries / contributions to great tries - but he'll also go down as one of the finest and most fierce individual defenders rugby has ever seen. Was Roy Keane not a great player?

The attitude that playing beautiful flowing football is the only valid way to win, that only that "is football" is ludicrous. Moreover, how can people here all nod their heads at such a quote? Where ye all Messi / Cooper / Sexton when ye played sport? Fair enough if so!
                                              Great post Lloyd. Thats the beauty of football, in a nutshell. Everyone, regardless of inherent ability can enjoy it. Its what makes it so popular. I'm in the same boat as you, can tackle, will tackle, doesnt have the neccessary ability to get by players. Unlike say JBravado, can skin peeps, will skin peeps, wont ever tackle.

Couldnt agree more with everything except a bit unfair on old Roy there. Pigeon holing him. I know you know he was so much more than a 'tough tackling midfielder'.
                                              This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                Great post Lloyd. Thats the beauty of football, in a nutshell. Everyone, regardless of inherent ability can enjoy it. Its what makes it so popular. I'm in the same boat as you, can tackle, will tackle, doesnt have the neccessary ability to get by players. Unlike say JBravado, can skin peeps, will skin peeps, wont ever tackle.

Couldnt agree more with everything except a bit unfair on old Roy there. Pigeon holing him. I know you know he was so much more than a 'tough tackling midfielder'.
                                                All that is true but where does Xavi say differently? Turning his quote into some kind of attack on grass roots football is pathetic even by Lloyds standards of craving moral outrage to validate his opinions. It's pretty apparent from reading the whole interview that his point is he doesn't like certain styles of football. Not that he thinks it should be abolished, or only one type of player should exist, but that he states a certain preference. He likes attacking, open, technical football, that's what he likes to watch, and it's a good thing that there's more of it in football than there was in the early 2000s where it looked like the game would be all about physical presence and defensive football. He's surely allowed his opinion? It's a preference for open attacking football, not saying that anything else is evil or lesser. Some people consider real football to be all about intensity and physical toughness and would say that's football. The very same interview, does this sound like someone who has an issue with less technically gifted players?

In England do we overrate physical players? You mention Carragher, Terry …

Whoa! Wait! Be careful. They're fundamental. We've got Puyol. Technically he might not be the best but it's incredible the way he defends. Carragher and Terry are necessary, brilliant, but they have to adapt to technical football [not the other way round]. For me, that comes naturally – or for Messi, Iniesta or Rooney. Others have to work at it. For them it's harder to lift their head up and play a pass – but they have to.

I agree with his overall point fwiw, others don't, others would rather watch a mid table English game vs a mid table Spanish game say, because they prefer physical intensity and aren't as impressed by tika-taka style or whatever in terms of their preferences of style. That's also fine, nobody is arguing with their position, nobodys looking down on them as people are so desperate to claim they are to validate their own outrage, that's a preference too. I saw Rasta say he'd rather watch Stoke than Barca, if he prefers that that's fair enough, nobodys arguing with him, so why are people arguing with the other preference? I'd also much prefer to see teams go out and attack and I don't like watching defensive teams. If there's two defensive teams playing, I'll probably not watch the match, I find it boring. I don't think these teams are lesser by default of playing that way though, nor does Xavi ever say he does. Others find two teams passing constantly boring. Xavi states a preference. What's wrong with that? You may not agree, but at no point did he "attempt to invalidate the efforts of the vast majority of people who play sport on a weekly basis", I mean ffs, come on.
                                                Last edited by Sledgejammer; 28-04-11, 12:32.
                                                "In the world, there are many kings but there is only one God. I am God, I am El Tren" :{)

Comment

Droolers is hilarious. Top ten things to come from the internet.
                                                  There are a massive amount of droolers around.
                                                  X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                  Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
                                                    Senate count in one of the panels just took an hour to eliminate a candidate with 0 votes
                                                    Donie Cassidy didn't get in

absolutely delighted

Comment

or Mary Hanafin

there may be a God after all

Comment

New South Park is very good, FU Apple!!

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                          Donie Cassidy didn't get in

absolutely delighted
                                                          Happy to hear this. He may have told one of my mate's (now changed careers and left Ireland) in his days as a trainee/intern Co Co planner that it would be in the best interests of retaining his job to ensure that applications x, y, z get immediate priority and are processed without any hitches. That amongst other things, he was also an unwelcome presence at a couple of family funerals over the years.

Comment

Link to new south park?

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                                              Link to new south park?

Comment

The old man got two tickets to the Champions League final for his birthday off the mother. Taking me with him.Surprised me this morning. Serious fucking brag right now.
                                                                Are you sure it's not a satellite to get into the Champions League Final.

Comment

Comment

Ukipt Cork Finishes on the 22nd of May?

And to answer question. No it doesnt.
                                                                    Have you bought your Ukipt Cork ticket yet Eoghan?

Comment

Think it her husband running?
                                                                      not unless he came back from the dead

hard to tell with senators I will admit, especially Fianna Fail ones

Comment

Comment

Somewhat optimistic about the reasonable success of Martin's list of new candidates.
                                                                          from what perspective?

genuinely baffled by your statement

Comment

Comment

...

Comment

Off to Bray, if I'm not back later, avenge my death.

Comment

Originally posted by Sometime Happy Dude View Post
                                                                                  Wear a blue hat and if I am there then I can post here later that I think I saw you.

Comment

ah right! Yeah, apparently her brother - John Hanafin. Nominated by ICTU in a slightly bizarre twist.
                                                                                    this is the Barca-Real thing again

small facts matter young man, get your head out of your arse or you'll be the dude who drives off from Tesco with the baby chair on the roof of the car

Comment

Purely in that he is attempting to push out the old guard
                                                                                      the electorate already did that

FF are FFinished, get it into your head

Comment

Originally posted by Sometime Happy Dude View Post
                                                                                        A evening on the slots with Chadley??
                                                                                        Profit before people.

Comment

A evening on the slots with Chadley??
                                                                                          What do you think I am!

Comment

...

Comment

They'll rise at least 15 seats in the next election; then spend the following five years taking advantage of the tiredness of the FG/Lab gov to be in a position to challenge in 10 years time. Then back in in 15 years.
                                                                                              nah, they'll be like the Nazis; a crowd of grotesque monsters with a succession of corrupt and insane leaders that destroyed a generation. After their downfall, an entire country claimed never to have been members.

whatever happens next in this country, FF aren't going to be part of it (unless 'it' involves public executions)

Comment

nah, they'll be like the Nazis; a crowd of grotesque monsters with a succession of corrupt and insane leaders that destroyed a generation. After their downfall, an entire country claimed never to have been members.

whatever happens next in this country, FF aren't going to be part of it (unless 'it' involves public executions)
                                                                                                I'd actually agree with HH's analysis on this one. I can see a return for FF before 2030. Until then it'll be a succession of diminishing FG/Lab governments with, I hate to say it, SF always a spectre. The next general election, if everything goes full term, will be around April 2016. SF will never have a better chance to scoop seats.

That said if anything happens with regard to ERII's visit then they might be in trouble long before that.
                                                                                                You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

...

Comment

To be fair to the nazis they built some great infrastructure and made huge steps in technology albeit at the cost of a 10s of millions of lives

Comment

Originally posted by Sledgejammer View Post
                                                                                                      I I saw Rasta say he'd rather watch Stoke than Barca, .
                                                                                                      I never said that, quoted the post in the United thread on the SF that C-Kid quoted in here from someone on 2+2. Someone then made a thread about it on the SF
                                                                                                      Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

Personally I'd prefer a PD alternative party solution to emerge instead of a rebuilt FF. Ultimately its never good for a country to have a bad/no opposition.

Dread the direction the country would take if SF became the lead opposition. You'd have all parties fighting to move to the left.

(all in favour of left wing politics btw, but the way its practiced in Ireland tends to involve defending entrenched positions, e.g. public sector, which hurts the country)
                                                                                                        ideally it would be exactly what it is now

one large Christian Democrat (in the German rather than the Italian sense ) party and one large Socialist party

with a few random minor parties for variety's sake
                                                                                                        Last edited by Raoul Duke III; 28-04-11, 13:28.

Comment

Sorry about that, saw it attributed to you on the SF, my mistake
                                                                                                          "In the world, there are many kings but there is only one God. I am God, I am El Tren" :{)

Comment

Originally posted by SICKPUPPY View Post
                                                                                                            To be fair to the nazis they built some great infrastructure and made huge steps in technology albeit at the cost of a 10s of millions of lives
                                                                                                            not sure whether to or to

probably just

Comment

now that our life is inordinately sanitised, it's a harmless replacement for war

a bit like poker that way
                                                                                                              Yes indeed. The beating your nearest rivals and the home derbys has defintle tribal and territorial elements to it.

Comment

Personally I'd prefer a PD alternative party solution to emerge instead of a rebuilt FF. Ultimately its never good for a country to have a bad/no opposition.

Dread the direction the country would take if SF became the lead opposition. You'd have all parties fighting to move to the left.

(all in favour of left wing politics btw, but the way its practiced in Ireland tends to involve defending entrenched positions, e.g. public sector, which hurts the country)
                                                                                                                Labour will be forced to hurt their union buddies. FG won't have the stomach for the bloodletting that is needed. The hard right and hard left will rise.

Preperations for the take over need to commence soon.
                                                                                                                ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

We should start a competition to see who comes up with the best sentence that starts with "to be fair to the Nazis"
                                                                                                                  Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                                                                                                    Wear a blue hat and if I am there then I can post here later that I think I saw you.
                                                                                                                    I don't own a blue hat. bye

Comment

Originally posted by SICKPUPPY View Post
                                                                                                                      Say what you like about the tenets of National Socialism, at least it's an ethos, Dude.
                                                                                                                      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

it's Lino Messi! (with Diego Underlay Maradona )

Comment

We should start a competition to see who comes up with the best sentence that starts with "to be fair to the Nazis"
                                                                                                                          To be fair to the nazis, they had the best uniforms
                                                                                                                          [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpZ8EkK3eWY[/ame]
                                                                                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X