Clear All

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

New Inbetweeners on E4 in 10 mins.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
          ah sure feck it, bought the one above as well. Can give them to someone else after I've (hopefully) finished smoking. (please don't suggest any more books hotspur, they may be individually lowly priced but it could add up to a fortune!)
          I just worked out that at that price I could probably buy every copy of that book that has ever been printed with what I lost playing poker at the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Zuroph View Post
            http://www.theoriginofspeciousnonsense.com/index.html

Minister for Science is to speak at launch of a book about creationism?? This country is mad.
            I can't stop watching his videos. It's like watching a car crash.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mYt974wGqo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mYt974wGqo[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l15fUvCBobQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l15fUvCBobQ[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ax0bqBc_Kg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ax0bqBc_Kg[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgZUV-_S5zM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgZUV-_S5zM[/ame]

He hasn't got a clue. 1 giant argument from personal incredulity combined with ignorance of everything he talks about
            Wtf is Lenihan thinking. I'm just totally staggered that he would agree to this

Comment

ah sure feck it, bought the one above as well. Can give them to someone else after I've (hopefully) finished smoking. (please don't suggest any more books hotspur, they may be individually lowly priced but it could add up to a fortune!)
              Originally posted by hotspur View Post
              I just worked out that at that price I could probably buy every copy of that book that has ever been printed with what I lost playing poker at the weekend.
              Lets face it, even smoking 20 a day is costing about €3k a year. Makes even academic books look incredibly cheap.
              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

I am on my 7th day cold turkey off the smokes at the moment. I was discussing it with a friend today who is now off them six months and still misses the hell out of them. Taking out the addiction and how much I enjoy smoking other things contribute to me not really having my heart in giving up.

Some of the things he misses the most are some of the reasons I enjoy it so much. Firstly it forces me to take 10/20 five minute slots out of the day to just think, procrastinate and reflect during the day. This is something he has tried to incorporate into his day in other ways but generally fails.

One of the other major things is that I know no matter what the social setting I can always made my excuses and take 5 on my own. I often do this even in great company as I just enjoy the five minutes to myself.

I think the above all means that going down the road of E-Cigs is my best route once I break the habit as some of the things surrounding smoking are not something I want to give up.

The fact that I have started watching Mad Men this week is not helping with my cause

Opr

Comment

New entourage was pretty good

Comment

You still have time to buy this book (2nd hand for 22p):

This is a proper book on smoking cessation with CBT skills. Carr is laughable and only works for people who had the motivation and skills to do it anyway (i.e. people for whom a telephone directory would have "worked").
                    You seem to have a pet hate for Alan Carr's books .

I have to dissagree with you on it . I was a smoker for 20 yrs and before i quit /became a non smoker i was on 40+ a day. I had tried every possible method about 20 times and all to no avail .
                    I got Carr's book as a gift and i was totally sceptical about it and did not believe for one minute that just by reading a book i could quit . Well hey presto here i am nearly 4 yrs later and i have never had one craving from the minute i finished his book .

Maybe you just dont agree with his method's but dont try a deter other people from reading his books as you could be preventing them from the only chance they might have to be able to quit.
                    Im not saying anything about the books you are recommending as i know nothing about them . But i do know Carr's book works and im living proof .

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                      Makes even academic books look incredibly cheap.
                      On this note, the book I'm using for the physics course I'm teaching this year costs 70 quid. As I've been writing the lectures and going through it, I've noticed tons of the diagrams are drawn terribly in what is clearly MS Paint and pixelated badly. How the hell can they get away that shit in 2010? The book I used when I was in college 13 years ago was way better and half the price!

Comment

Originally posted by DAMO72 View Post

I have to dissagree with you on it . I was a smoker for 20 yrs and before i quit /became a non smoker i was on 40+ a day. I had tried every possible method about 20 times and all to no avail .
                        I got Carr's book as a gift and i was totally sceptical about it and did not believe for one minute that just by reading a book i could quit . Well hey presto here i am nearly 4 yrs later and i have never had one craving from the minute i finished his book .

Maybe you just dont agree with his method's but dont try a deter other people from reading his books as you could be preventing them from the only chance they might have to be able to quit.
                        Im not saying anything about the books you are recommending as i know nothing about them . But i do know Carr's book works and im living proof .
                        Would have to agree with this,worked pretty good for the Mrs too.
                        Official Head Marshall of Waterford Gay Pride Festival 2015

Comment

Originally posted by cooker3 View Post
                          I fear that epic first point maybe the high point of the match for Djokovic.
                          I was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                            The book I used when I was in college 13 years ago was way better
                            Hudson and Nelson?
                            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Comment

Thoughts are with you Kev. Stuff like that is horrible.
                                Foldaramus et foldarabimus

Comment

Originally posted by DAMO72 View Post

You are not living proof that his book works. You are just a guy who read his book and also quit smoking. Correlation does not equal causation. How do you know you were not so ready to change that any book would not have done? Since there is no actual method in his method it is pure placebo. Which is fine, I know a lot about how powerful placebos can be, but proper treatment advice can be so much more than placebo.

I appreciate that you are being entirely genuine, but so am I. I don't say to people "Don't read Alan Carr it's crap" and then walk away. I'll give them advice on what has been scientifically shown to work, because I happen to know the science.

It's the equivalent of you writing asking people not to deter others from reading that anti-evolution book because it may their only chance for salvation. It isn't.

Unfortunately real science requires more than Damo as living proof that a treatment protocol works. Published scientific trials of treatments is what is required.

I'm not doing this to be mean spirited, I'm doing it to give people the best chance of staying smoke free. Because for every Damo who quit after they read his book there's another thousand who went back on the smokes because he didn't give them any helpful understanding of relapse prevention.

Comment

Comment

Not sure if its of interest, but I'm using a service this year that McGrawHill and Prentice Hall provide whereby you can take one of their textbooks and just select the chapters you want - the book company then binds those chapters and sell it as a 'your uni' edited version (with your name on it!), with the price a pro-rata of ((num chapters selected / total chapters in book) * regular retail price). Able to get the cost of a textbook down from £45 to £20, thus increasing the chance of students actually buying it.
                                      That sounds like a good system. Contract is up in December though, so I may have nowhere to put it to use! So annoying writing a full course only to give it once and never again.

@Collie: Book was Young and Freedman

Comment

The Conor Lenihan evolution stroy has made the RDF website

I love the second comment:
                                        If this idiot had 10% more brains he'd be a cabbage!
                                        Carl Sagan - Pale Blue Dot

Comment

I know there's a bit of hate for x-factor but was just watching this guys audition again and i really can't get where Simon and Pixie are coming from. He's obviously going to be a hit with the girls at home, and he's a far better singer than a lot of people they put through. Getting a bee in his bonnet and not even willing to give him a shot in the 2nd round was just laughable and the first time i've really hated Cowells decision.

He's 3rd favourite in the betting to win the show now with your one Cher after coming in from 7/1 to 3/1 and now 11/4

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzkO9bagV0U[/ame]

Comment

On the cost of books let's not forget that in our increasingly digital age that a great many academic textbooks can be obtained for free online too. I paid a visit to Reads last month to print out 4 books (all either on smoking cessation or containing chapters on it funnily enough).

I am guessing that it's as usual for physics / economics/ finance books to be obtained online as it is for psychology / addiction / psychotherapy ones.

Comment

My internet is slow tonight Tony and can't see the clip above but I presume that's the black kid?
                                              I thought he was great, I don't enjoy the staged theatrics from the judges though, so bloody obvious he's going through.

Edit: Just reread your post, obv not the same guy!
                                              We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act, but a habit.

Comment

Ha this just popped up on Facebook.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans
                                                I like this heat - some proper music innit.
                                                None of the 'black disabled lesbian warbling backwards' stuff that the other players inflicted on me.

Comment

Comment

Here he is gloating!

I see Johnny Chan won it 2 days before Willie!
                                                    Last edited by Flushdraw; 13-09-10, 22:10.

Comment

You are not living proof that his book works. You are just a guy who read his book and also quit smoking. Correlation does not equal causation. How do you know you were not so ready to change that any book would not have done? Since there is no actual method in his method it is pure placebo. Which is fine, I know a lot about how powerful placebos can be, but proper treatment advice can be so much more than placebo.

I appreciate that you are being entirely genuine, but so am I. I don't say to people "Don't read Alan Carr it's crap" and then walk away. I'll give them advice on what has been scientifically shown to work, because I happen to know the science.

It's the equivalent of you writing asking people not to deter others from reading that anti-evolution book because it may their only chance for salvation. It isn't.

Unfortunately real science requires more than Damo as living proof that a treatment protocol works. Published scientific trials of treatments is what is required.

I'm not doing this to be mean spirited, I'm doing it to give people the best chance of staying smoke free. Because for every Damo who quit after they read his book there's another thousand who went back on the smokes because he didn't give them any helpful understanding of relapse prevention.
                                                      Well if it only worked for 1 in every 1000 Damo's then it is still a lot of people getting a chance at a healthier life and for that reason it is worth reading .

Just my opinion .
                                                      Time for the leaba now.

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 13-09-10, 22:34.

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                          I know there's a bit of hate for x-factor but was just watching this guys audition again and i really can't get where Simon and Pixie are coming from. He's obviously going to be a hit with the girls at home, and he's a far better singer than a lot of people they put through. Getting a bee in his bonnet and not even willing to give him a shot in the 2nd round was just laughable and the first time i've really hated Cowells decision.

He's 3rd favourite in the betting to win the show now with your one Cher after coming in from 7/1 to 3/1 and now 11/4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzkO9bagV0U

Hardly surprising to see Louis Walsh so eager to get him through.

Comment

Long Time lurker of both the old site and here, really enjoy the banter and this site helps get me through the day when i am quiet at work.Seems like a great community, So thanks for that .....

Oh and kayroo , you come across as the biggest douche ever

Comment

Originally posted by General P View Post
                                                              Long Time lurker of both the old site and here, really enjoy the banter and this site helps get me through the day when i am quiet at work.Seems like a great community, So thanks for that .....

Welcome, and enjoy your stay!

Comment

Entourage was deadly indeed.

Comment

btw is it terrible that I really couldn't give a shit about the time smoking takes off my life for example 10 years its more the fear for the quality of life it gives rise to in the later stages of life that frightens the crap out me

Opr

Comment

If there is one word I hate. That be it.

And welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Starvin Marvin View Post
                                                                      Ha this just popped up on Facebook.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Well played Willie, you look so bloody excited!

Comment

Originally posted by Zuroph View Post
                                                                        http://www.theoriginofspeciousnonsense.com/index.html

Minister for Science is to speak at launch of a book about creationism?? This country is mad.
                                                                        The Irish Minister for Education and Science? Conor Lenihan? REALLY????

Is there a source for this? Like a paper source?
                                                                        You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                        World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Comment

Such a good tune.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoA0cTC228M[/ame]

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                              The Irish Minister for Education and Science? Conor Lenihan? REALLY????

Is there a source for this? Like a paper source?
                                                                              I thought this was some sort of joke, no?

Has to be, surely.

Comment

If Lenihan is going to the book launch in a private capacity as a friend of the author, then I don't see what the problem is with this? I don't think either him or the government is endorsing the book in an official capacity.
                                                                                Should the Minister For Arts be banned from going to The A-Team because its got little artistic merit?

I do seem to be the only person in Ireland with this view though.

Comment

Should I just get stuck in from the start or anyone who is a fan give me an idea what to do with his discography ?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdy4ell_dtM[/ame]

Opr

Comment

Say what now?
                                                                                    You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                    World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

...

Comment

Irish Times story posted above confirms it as true and obv they would have double-checked with the minister's people before publishing it
                                                                                        Cheers, saw your link posted after.

That's comical, he maybe attending in a 'personal capacity', but given his job description it's retarded in the extreme. Hardly surprising though I guess.

Our government is such a joke, it'd be funny if it wasn't!

Comment

how does one play Chinese poker?

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
                                                                                            how does one play Chinese poker?
                                                                                            For all those people who find it more convenient to bother you with their question rather than to Google it for themselves.

Comment

The man has on his website 'Launch by Conor Lenihan,TD, Minister of Science'

Thankfully this will probably be a story if its already on irishtimes.com
                                                                                              What a buffoon Lenihan is. I really hope he gets hanged for this.
                                                                                              Carl Sagan - Pale Blue Dot

Comment

Shut up you American!!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UBQFXQUqxE[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBArMmngVH4[/ame]

Comment

does anybody want a quick game on PPP so I can learn? busto stakes obv

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                    If Lenihan is going to the book launch in a private capacity as a friend of the author, then I don't see what the problem is with this? I don't think either him or the government is endorsing the book in an official capacity.
                                                                                                    Should the Minister For Arts be banned from going to The A-Team because its got little artistic merit?

The thing is that by attending the launch and especially in such a public manner, that's pretty much an endorsement for the book, he simply should not be doing that.
                                                                                                    Amazed that no one has pulled him up, and had a quiet word in his ear about it.
                                                                                                    How can he not realise how inappropriate this is.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

Completely disagree, there has to be a level of cop-on. He needs to be able to say no to some of his friends requests and have been able to say "sorry mate, I couldn't do that because I'm the Minister for fucking Science you gobshite".

Comment

Originally posted by Fiend View Post

What a buffoon Lenihan is. I really hope he gets hanged for this.
                                                                                                        A little harsh, but fk it why not.

Let's get an ape to do it, that'll teach him!

Comment

5 euro or dollar buy in and sure

Or I mean the cheapest possible. And I havent a clue what I am doing

Sitting down now. Quick guide anyone? WTF are the buttons on top for
                                                                                                          Last edited by MegaSin; 13-09-10, 23:22.

Comment

I just sat down at your table but I'm sitting out straight away. Would need to read up on this first.

Comment

Originally posted by Ste05 View Post
                                                                                                              Completely disagree, there has to be a level of cop-on. He needs to be able to say no to some of his friends requests and have been able to say "sorry mate, I couldn't do that because I'm the Minister for fucking Science you gobshite".
                                                                                                              Lenihan is a FF drooler, he probably thinks that the book is science
                                                                                                              or at the very least recognizes the fact that being at that book launch guarantees him the granny vote next election

Comment

cool let it be known I have no idea what im at

Comment

Originally posted by dannydiamond View Post
                                                                                                                  The thing is that by attending the launch and especially in such a public manner, that's pretty much an endorsement for the book, he simply should not be doing that.
                                                                                                                  In fairness he (C Lenihan) hasn't done it in a public manner - its the writer who decided to emblazon his launch site with the Minister of Science stuff. Which means Lenihan should pull out obviously.
                                                                                                                  But I have a feeling Lenihan may have been innocent in all this.

Theres a big 'anti-religious' aspect in play I think. If the book was about other science 'hot-topics', say it was pro-GM foods, or a 'we should do nothing about climate change' book or a 'pro nuclear power' book - the fuss probably wouldn't be as big.

Comment

Originally posted by cooker3 View Post
                                                                                                                    I can't stop watching his videos. It's like watching a car crash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mYt974wGqo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l15fUvCBobQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ax0bqBc_Kg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgZUV-_S5zM

He hasn't got a clue. 1 giant argument from personal incredulity combined with ignorance of everything he talks about
                                                                                                                    Wtf is Lenihan thinking. I'm just totally staggered that he would agree to this
                                                                                                                    OMFG.i think this guy (Lenihan too) should go to Iran and become a politician.he will do quite well as a muslim i think.

Comment

Originally posted by MegaSin View Post
                                                                                                                      5 euro or dollar buy in and sure

Or I mean the cheapest possible. And I havent a clue what I am doing

Sitting down now. Quick guide anyone? WTF are the buttons on top for
                                                                                                                      this is what im working off

http://poker.about.com/od/pokervaria...inesepoker.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                                                                        btw is it terrible that I really couldn't give a shit about the time smoking takes off my life for example 10 years its more the fear for the quality of life it gives rise to in the later stages of life that frightens the crap out me

Opr
                                                                                                                        Not the most intelligent thing I have ever read if I'm honest

Comment

Played about 4 hands.

1 hand you have an invalid hand because you put a straight at the back and a flush in the middle.

1 hand you used 2 pair in the middle but you were better off putting 1 pair in the middle and 1 pair at top

An other hand you had 7 diamonds and you just picked any 5 diamonds for a flush. You missed out on 2 other pairs because you picked the wrong diamonds in the flush

You're geting there tho!

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X