This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by careca View Post
    What about if it was someone very close to you, maybe the person you loved most in your life and they had a serious illness. Do you think you might pray then, if all else was lost?
    I've been there, more than once. Granted not the person that was absolutely the closest to me in my life at that point, but close enough to make it count.

I didn't pray, who would I pray to?

I will tell a little anecdote about me though.

I was born with a rare illness of some description, funnily enough I've never really discussed it in detail with my parents. I believe it was some form of bone marrow problem.

The long and the short of it, as I've been told, is that a few days after I was born the doctors called my parents into a room and explained what was happening and uttered the immortal words "you should take him home, we can't do anything more for him and it would be better if he passed there"

My mother followed their instructions, and the next day brought me up to the local church and knelt and prayed offering me up to God if that was his will. Obviously God didn't want me because here I am today, and apparently the doctors were mystified as to my recovery.

My mother tells this story in great detail whenever the subject of God and religion comes up. I've a number of problems with it from a logical point of view, but then I wasn't exactly cognizant of what was going on so I'm not going to come out and call her a liar.

Anyway the point is that here is a woman who is completely convinced that her firstborn was saved by God, and God alone. Yet, I can't remember the last time she went to church for anything other than a wedding, christening or funeral. She insisted on my sister christening my nephew, even though she herself has no intention of bringing the child to church at any point or bringing the child up with an understanding of the Catholic dogma.

By my estimation the vast majority of catholics that I know in Ireland would have exactly the same feelings and affiliations with the Church. Mostly in it for the promise of eternal life, not too convinced about the actual teachings and will bend/break the commandments/teachings if it's in their favour.

So no, I wouldn't pray nor would I suddenly find faith. I don't believe there is a God, although I also don't think that I'm bright or evolved enough to state definitively that there isn't. If others have faith and it brings them comfort or peace of mind then more power to them. It's not for me though.
    Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
      when people talk about 'Palin for President', I assume they're talking about that nice guy from Monty Python who makes boring travelogues
      WTF...Michael Palin's series' are fantastic you weirdo.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
        how do people deal with being atheist? Its a pretty scary thought - like when the lights go out that's it forever. The thoughts of it alone give me a chill up my spine
        I dunno when I think of the term forever and I realise it never ends i.e. blackness for a billion years whatever it makes me uneasy. Really makes the whole life thing a bit pointless
        The opposite IMO
        When you have been dead for 500 Million years that will only be the start of it.
        Makes the few moments we have very precious.
        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post
          Any live punters tell me when double hours in cash games are for The Fitz,SE,Jacks and Vodoo?
          Thurs and Sunday in SE

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
            WTF...Michael Palin's series' are fantastic you weirdo.
            they're anodyne shite

read Theroux instead
            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Ste05 View Post
              Obama will win the next election!

Palin won't stand a chance if/when she actually throws her hat into the ring. Obama will wipe the floor with her. He's an incredibly good Politician as well as everything else he has going for him.
              I think many of the socially liberal but economically conservative Republicans (such as those that are pro-big business) are terrified at the prospect of Palin as their candidate for the next Presidential election in the US - I think she is unelectable to be honest. Many of the self-same socially liberal Republicans (they do exist, I know many from my years living there) would probably just not vote if offered a straight choice between Palin and a Democrat, and many typical 'undecided' voters, not affiliated with either party, would bauk at supporting her.

Maybe I'm wrong but I imagine she's feared and despised by the traditional wing of the Republican party and I wouldn't be at all surprised if in the future we find out she's actually being secretly helped someone by those affiliated with left-of-centre political groups!

Edit: she might be the worst thing to happen to the Republicans since Nixon, I could see her tearing that party apart.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                Maybe I'm wrong but I imagine she's feared and despised by the traditional wing of the Republican party and I wouldn't be at all surprised if in the future we find out she's actually being secretly helped someone by those affiliated with left-of-centre political groups!
                correct on the first, on the second, I reckon she's a stalking horse, the question is - for who?

Comment

they're anodyne shite
                  Thats why they're great, he lets places wash over him as a passive observer without trying to give an annoying Western view on things that just can't be understood in Western terms.

Comment

how do people deal with being atheist? Its a pretty scary thought - like when the lights go out that's it forever. The thoughts of it alone give me a chill up my spine
                    This is exactly why man created God. Offering a solution to a man biggest fear. From sun Gods to Scientology the delusion has developed along with civilization. The reason why it is bugging you is you know deep down that the solution can never have a proof.

I'd love to have blind faith in one of these solutions to our biggest fear but I know it's never going to happen. I'll just have to settle for sex, drugs and rock & roll --- wine, women and song ---- or guns, gals, gangs, grog and ganja to ease the gnawing.

Welcome to The Church of Hitchhiker bro. 'You know you want to'.
                    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                      Thats why they're great, he lets places wash over him as a passive observer without trying to give an annoying Western view on things that just can't be understood in Western terms.
                      interesting defence

Comment

Only a few hours to go now...

An appropriate song to listen to in the run-up to the gig:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doHoE156RAo[/ame]

Comment

Just noticed on the Irish Times website that Darren Sutherland's body is being exhumed for a post mortem as his family were unhappy with the results of the original.

Kind of weird for me as I was only just thinking of the guy the other day.

Comment

when people talk about 'Palin for President', I assume they're talking about that nice guy from Monty Python who makes boring travelogues

about the only credible Palin around imo

now, name the last sitting Democrat to be unseated
                            Wasn't that Jimmy Carter?

Comment

Sorry Bk. Make that Burds, bands and Baileys
                              Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                Wasn't that Jimmy Carter?
                                correct!

and there's no Reagan on the horizon to knock off Obama

he wasn't called the Great Communicator for nothing

now, who was the last Democrat before Carter to be booted out? (as opposed to being killed or dying in office)

Comment

correct!

and there's no Reagan on the horizon to knock off Obama

he wasn't called the Great Communicator for nothing

now, who was the last Democrat before Carter to be booted out? (as opposed to being killed or dying in office)
                                  I'm guessing by the far back in time-edness of it, that there was none?

Comment

Just saw this on breakingnews.ie

A man has survived after falling 40 storeys from a New York apartment building.

Thomas Magill landed in the back seat of a car after crashing through the windscreen.

The 22-year-old suffered broken legs and is in a critical condition in hospital.

The car’s owner, Guy McCormack, said he was convinced that rosary beads he kept inside the Dodge Charger saved Mr Magill’s life.

Mr Magill is not the only New Yorker to survive a high-rise fall.

Window cleaner Alcides Moreno fell 47 storeys from the roof of a skyscraper in December 2007, and doctors expect him to walk again.
                                    I just can't get over how people can believe stuff like this. Surely it was the cushiony back seats and coincidental timing that saved yer mans life and not some beads hanging from your rearview mirror!
                                    Double-decker bus enthusiast

Comment

Huh, so the Stig has been revealed as Ben Collins a Formula 3 racing driver...

Comment

Anyone playing the JP game tonight? Haven't played it in a few weeks, what are the numbers like?
                                        You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                        World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Another gem from breakingnews.ie

Talk about stupidity and poor spacial reasoning...

A woman who tried to force her way into her boyfriend’s home by sliding down the chimney died after becoming stuck.

Jacquelyn Kotarac, 49, a medical doctor, first tried to get into the house with a shovel, then climbed a ladder to the roof, removed the chimney cap and slid feet first down the flue.

While she was trying to break in, William Moodie, 58, escaped unnoticed from another exit “to avoid a confrontation,” police said.

The body of Dr Kotarac, who had been having an on-off relationship with her boyfriend, was not found for three days.

“She made an unbelievable error in judgment and nobody understands why, and unfortunately she’s passed away,” Mr Moodie said. “She had her issues – she had her demons – but I never lost my respect for her”.

He would not comment on the circumstances that led to her death, saying it was more important to focus on the good she did in life.

Mr Kotarac’s body was not discovered until a house-sitter noticed a stench and fluids coming from the fireplace last Saturday, three days after she became stuck.

The house-sitter and her son investigated with a torch and found Dr Kotarac dead, wedged about two feet above the top of the interior fireplace opening.

Firefighters spent five hours dismantling the chimney and flue from outside the home to extract the body Dr Kotarac’s office reported her missing two days earlier when she failed to show for work. Her car and belongings remained near the man’s house.
                                          Double-decker bus enthusiast

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                            Anyone playing the JP game tonight? Haven't played it in a few weeks, what are the numbers like?
                                            If by JP you mean Jackpot it got ~40 last week. Decent tournament but I much preferred it when it had less chips and a longer clock
                                            "In the world, there are many kings but there is only one God. I am God, I am El Tren" :{)

Comment

If humans ever do make it though a worm hole, will the universe scrape it 's arse along the grass to get rid of us.

Comment

I'm guessing by the far back in time-edness of it, that there was none?
                                                there was

hint; name of a large American city

Comment

Originally posted by Sledgejammer View Post
                                                  If by JP you mean Jackpot it got ~40 last week. Decent tournament but I much preferred it when it had less chips and a longer clock
                                                  Yeah I remember lobbying for that tournament and it was a massive success but droolers just seem to love having 10k not realising it means fuck all in the long term.

Comment

there was

Grover Cleveland? Was he a Democrat?

EDIT: I am 100% sure he had 2 terms as President but was he the one who had a gap between Presidencies?

Comment

there was

Grover Cleveland?

Edit: Damn you Kayroo.

Comment

Grover Cleveland?

Answered and edited before you got there. Ship.

Comment

I seem to remember that Micheal Schumaker was revealed as the Stig not so long ago.
                                                          Was that a hoax?

EDIT: I see Collins was revealed as one of the Stigs, maybe that's it?

Comment

Speaking of America, I was visiting a friend last night, and after a series of events led me to state that I could probably name all 50 US States, she forced me to do it while she crossed them off a list. I got stuck at 49, and had to be given very heavy clues before I kicked myself at not getting the last. Damn Missouri. Not much happend there anyways.

Comment

Grover Cleveland?

I googled it too lads, but didn't want to pretend i knew it
                                                              ''Any change is resisted because bureaucrats have a vested interest in the chaos in which they exist.'' - Richard Nixon

Comment

Thomas Magill landed in the back seat of a car after crashing through the windscreen.

Originally posted by Rufio View Post

I just can't get over how people can believe stuff like this. Surely it was the cushiony back seats and coincidental timing that saved yer mans life and not some beads hanging from your rearview mirror!

I agree. Its so unlikely the car could have been at a near 90 degree angle when he hit the windscreen.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                  Answered and edited before you got there. Ship.
                                                                  In my defence, I had written and deleted before submission a post about how it surely wasn't George Washington unless he wasn't technically re-elected, and ten I remembered Grover Cleveland existed.

Originally posted by Bless You View Post
                                                                  I seem to remember that Micheal Schumaker was revealed as the Stig not so long ago.
                                                                  Was that a hoax?

Obviously just a hoax. Your user name suits your innocence well right about now

Comment

Originally posted by Bless You View Post
                                                                    Was that a hoax?

The BBC lost a court case today trying to stop him revealing himself in an autobiography. He is the Stig.

IIRC the Schumacher thing was something to do with Ferrari only allowing him to drive some car, but it was probably all rubbish.

Comment

Always the last to know.

Comment

I think some on here might find this quite amusing, it's Charlie Brooker giving a quick rundown of the main Yank news channels, especially Fox, and some of the personalities on each network, definitely worth a view.....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aEk864YrKw[/ame]
                                                                        ''Any change is resisted because bureaucrats have a vested interest in the chaos in which they exist.'' - Richard Nixon

Comment

Originally posted by Rufio View Post

If God was really that interested in saving that mans life he would have found a way for him not to fall/jump in the first place. Counter arguments to this type of story of a merciful God sparing a soul include things like horrific car crashes, earthquakes, etc. Making up some mumbo jumbo to justify all these things as being the divine will of a merciful entity is just utter horse crap.

At least the old testament God was cool with all his open smiting and vengefulness, never mind the burning bushes and sea partings.

Comment

Is that not old news? Or at least it has been a rumour for a long time. I assume there is more than one stig though.

The black stig was Perry McCarthy afaik.

Comment

Originally posted by JackBurton View Post
                                                                              I think some on here might find this quite amusing, it's Charlie Brooker giving a quick rundown of the main Yank news channels, especially Fox, and some of the personalities on each network, definitely worth a view.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aEk864YrKw
                                                                              Glenn Beck is top notch entertainment.

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                                                                Is that not old news? Or at least it has been a rumour for a long time. I assume there is more than one stig though.

The black stig was Perry McCarthy afaik.
                                                                                IDK, I just heard about the court case on the news today.

Comment

Confused Ravers Terrorised by Aphex Twin's Face Mapping Demonstration
                                                                                  [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGosqmf-740[/ame]
                                                                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Glenn Beck is top notch entertainment.
                                                                                    Scary as fuck though!!

Comment

Speaking of America, I was visiting a friend last night, and after a series of events led me to state that I could probably name all 50 US States, she forced me to do it while she crossed them off a list. I got stuck at 49, and had to be given very heavy clues before I kicked myself at not getting the last. Damn Missouri. Not much happend there anyways.
                                                                                      bah, I could only get 45 just now

stupid flyover states

Comment

stupid flyover states
                                                                                        I do admit to getting a couple of hints after she got bored with me thinking for more than 30 seconds without saying something, which happened after around 40. If I had a pen/paper thugh I would have got almost all anyways.

Comment

stupid flyover states
                                                                                          For anyone that wants to do it....

Comment

reading this forum could cause one to have a crisis of faith

Comment

http://www.pibmug.com/files/map_test.swf

This is sort of the opposite of CHDs game, but its good fun for seeing if you know where each US state is.
                                                                                              Gets quite difficult when you are down to the 15 small states on the east coast.

Comment

Is it possible to add or attach a photo to a PM .

Comment

Originally posted by DAMO72 View Post
                                                                                                  Is it possible to add or attach a photo to a PM .
                                                                                                  Should be no reason why not as far as I can see, although I don't ever remeber doing it. Insert it in the same way you would a normal thread post.

Comment

reading this forum could cause one to have a crisis of faith
                                                                                                    This thread has at various times destroyed any faith i've ever had in

The government.
                                                                                                    Organised religion.
                                                                                                    Banks.
                                                                                                    Rafa Benitez.
                                                                                                    The justice system.
                                                                                                    America and various other countries.
                                                                                                    Leprechaun poker.
                                                                                                    The honesty of cricketers.
                                                                                                    Dog the bounty hunter.
                                                                                                    Mark Lawrenson.
                                                                                                    Grown men who watch WWF.

And that's just off the top of my head!
                                                                                                    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act, but a habit.

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                                                                                                      Ok, I don't think you have kids yet, so I'll use you as an example (if thats ok?)

so say your 4 year old gets Leukemia and the doctors have exhausted all avenues. your child is given a week or so. do you think you might pray every night for that week (and no it doesn't have to be a rosary)?
                                                                                                      If I was in that position I wouldn't waste my time 'praying' I would spend as much time as I could with the kid before he/she goes.

Comment

we're just doing it to annoy the football droolers
                                                                                                        this

Comment

it's better than the alternative of enternal damnation for almost everyone imo

Comment

Originally posted by dannydiamond View Post

The government.
                                                                                                            Organised religion.
                                                                                                            Banks.
                                                                                                            Rafa Benitez.
                                                                                                            The justice system.
                                                                                                            Leprechaun poker.
                                                                                                            Dog the bounty hunter.
                                                                                                            Mark Lawrenson.
                                                                                                            Grown men who watch WWF.

And yet you have an unwavering faith in Liverpool football club despite overwhelming evidence that they are in a steep and rapid decline to mid table obscurity

Comment

The government.
                                                                                                              Organised religion.
                                                                                                              Banks.
                                                                                                              Rafa Benitez.
                                                                                                              The justice system.
                                                                                                              Leprechaun poker.
                                                                                                              Dog the bounty hunter.
                                                                                                              Mark Lawrenson.
                                                                                                              Grown men who watch WWE.

FYP.

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Finkel View Post
                                                                                                                And yet you have an unwavering faith in Liverpool football club despite overwhelming evidence that they are in a steep and rapid decline to mid table obscurity
                                                                                                                Just wait 'til Martin O'Neill gets his paws on your lot. We'll see how patient you are then!

Comment

Should be no reason why not as far as I can see, although I don't ever remeber doing it. Insert it in the same way you would a normal thread post.
                                                                                                                  Just checked that now and there is no icon for adding attachments to a PM like there is for a thread post.
                                                                                                                  Maybe there is a different way to do this . If anyone knows could you walk me thru it please.

Comment

The government.
                                                                                                                    Organised religion.
                                                                                                                    Banks.
                                                                                                                    Rafa Benitez.
                                                                                                                    The justice system.
                                                                                                                    Leprechaun poker.
                                                                                                                    Dog the bounty hunter.
                                                                                                                    Mark Lawrenson.
                                                                                                                    Grown men who watch WWF.

grown men who admit to drinking baileys
                                                                                                                    Follow me in twitterland

Comment

Once I die my body/ashes or whatever will rot away, I can't stop that so no point in worrying about it. If you think about it, everyone deep down knows its over when its over because if it we go to some magical heaven in the clouds afterwards with all the fairies, goblins and angels then people would almost be hoping for death. Why bother saving people when the 'afterlife' sounds much better than what we have here.

Comment

Originally posted by Hegzy View Post
                                                                                                                        FYP.
                                                                                                                        They all lookalike to me.

Comment

The government.
                                                                                                                          Organised religion.
                                                                                                                          Banks.
                                                                                                                          Rafa Benitez.
                                                                                                                          The justice system.
                                                                                                                          Leprechaun poker.
                                                                                                                          Dog the bounty hunter.
                                                                                                                          Mark Lawrenson.
                                                                                                                          Grown men who watch X-factor.

imo

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X