This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
    Not a realistic target imo. Liverpool are in serious turmoil at board level afaik and why would he want to walk into a team in total disarray and a club without any idea of its future ownership/structures?

Going to Real Madrid knowing that even winning the league might not be enough to keep your job is one thing but Liverpool are nowhere near as big as Real.
    You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
    World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
      Not a realistic target imo. Liverpool are in serious turmoil at board level afaik and why would he want to walk into a team in total disarray and a club without any idea of its future ownership/structures?

Going to Real Madrid knowing that even winning the league might not be enough to keep your job is one thing but Liverpool are nowhere near as big as Real.
      Because he is out of work Keith. Because Liverpool (even in their current state) remain a much bigger club than any of the others he managed before Real Madrid. Because there isn't any job as big as Real Madrid so its all downhill from there once you get ejected from their managerial merry go round. Anyway.
      "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
        Awesome, going to Tokyo for a conference in September! If I ever meet this 'taxpayer' guy I must remember to give him a warm handshake. Oh well I guess I'm a catalyst for the knowledge economy

Anyone been?
        Tokyo is crazy. As are the Japanese tbh. It seems like the whole culture revolves around animation. Cans of hot tea with milk in vending machines are fun though. As are the space age toilets.

I advise spending a couple of nights in a traditional ryokan.

I enjoyed one of my favourite ever afternoons when I missed my flight back to Ireland from Narita airport, had the rest of the day to kill, and went to the Naritasan Park and Shinshoji Temple nearby. It was one of the most tranquil experiences I've ever had, and I recommend trying to fit it in:
        chiba,foto,narita,naritasan,park,photo,photoes,photograph,photography,photos,pics,pictures,reg,reggi,reggie,reggie98,regi,shinshoji,temple,thomson

It'll be an experience anyway. I like neon and there's lots of that, and if you like electronics then you'll be in heaven in the Akihabara district.

Comment

Liverpool fans really don't get that they are in really bad shape. Woy is the best man for the job and will keep them competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
            I actually think Hodgson could be a great appointment for Liverpool in the short to medium term. He's almost 63 so he's not gonna be at the club more than 3/4 years imo (if even that).

Given Liverpool's current travails, could they ask for a better manager?
            I like Roy but fail to see the point of exchanging him for Rafa as their modus operandi is much the same

Organize/system/etc

as was Gerrard H before them

If the club wanted to replace Rafa they should have replaced Rafa with someone different otherwise it will just be the usual cup run solid form charade.
            And no I don't think they have an automatic right to win the league (but would quite like them to think it!)

////////////////////////////
            Btw I liked Rafa as a bloke but was never mad about him being in charge of Liverpool (even though he did a good job for the most part)
            his eye for a player was/is just awful, especially wide players

& ive no interest in getting into spending/profit from sales arguments etc as every player who didn't work out held up the project(even after they left at a profit)
            Last edited by Guest; 30-06-10, 01:07. Reason: *///////////

Comment

Because he is out of work Keith. Because Liverpool (even in their current state) remain a much bigger club than any of the others he managed before Real Madrid. Because there isn't any job as big as Real Madrid so its all downhill from there once you get ejected from their managerial merry go round. Anyway.
              It's not like he's surviving on the dole Lloyd. He has the luxury of waiting for a more lucrative job to emerge and there'll be all sorts of managerial moves after the World Cup so why not hang on a few weeks?

I just think that, on balance, any top manager would look at Liverpool right now and say thanks but no thanks. Hodgson is coming to the end of his career and wants one last shot at a big club. I wish him all the best. I just don't see many managers in their 40's or 50's wanting anything to do with the shambles that Liverpool currently is. Especially as they'd be coming into a club where all the prize assets in the squad are headed out the door as they are walking in.
              You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
              World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                Liverpool fans really don't get that they are in really bad shape. Woy is the best man for the job and will keep them competitive.
                Oh fuck off. Do you think I don't realise how fucked we are right now? Why should a 63 year old manager who has only qualified a team for the Champions League once (Copenhagen in the Danish league) over the course of his entire career be accepted as a Saviour and King?
                "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Oh fuck off. Do you think I don't realise how fucked we are right now? Why should a 63 year old manager who has only qualified a team for the Champions League once (Copenhagen in the Danish league) over the course of his entire career be accepted as a Saviour and King?
                  lol Stay Classy.

You aren't listening to anyone are you. Who is saying he is the saviour and king? Liverpool are not a 2nd rate top club. They need a man who will keep them competitive and up challenging for fourth. Woy will do this. You really think you could get a top manager in? You have no cash, the stars want to leave. The club is a mess and could drop out of Europe soon.

He will stop Liverpool sliding down the table and when the club is back in good shape then maybe a quality manager will come in and build on that. Liverpool are not a top club, they will not attract a top manager. Simples.

I also wasn't directing anything at you

Comment

What we must also remember is that a shit tonne of stuff goes on behind the scene's. So much goes on in football that the punters dont know about, who is to say that they didnt go after Hitzfeld or pellegrini. Fact is managers these days only come out and say they turned down a job when they're in the hunt for another one or touch and go with their current employers. So it could well of been a case that they asked the agents would they be interested and they said no.

Hitzfeld likes the cushy swiss job as well as it is practically his home country since he comes from a bordering town and speaks fluent swiss german as his main language. Pellegrini im not sure about. If i were liverpool i would of gone after Spaletti as he is looking to get out of Roma for the last 2 years and has the balls to make a big decision like taking totti and de rossi off at half time when losing 1-0 to lazio. They won 2-1 which is good as would of been lynched if they lost no doubt

Comment

Solid evening of poker.

Should've gone to bed an hour ago, instead, I am close to scratching lumps out of the table here!

Cooler central too, thank god I play the mini leagues. I've no idea how you guys could handle this if it was proper weeks wages kinda things...

Attached Files

Comment

Liverpool is like Ireland at the moment.

Broke, fucked, and too many people thinking it will be an easy and quick fix to get back to the heights of not too long ago.

I really hope Hodgson does a good job, but 18 months ago, if someone suggested that Roy Hodgson would be our next manager they would have been carted off in a straitjacket to the asylum. We don't need someone to steady the ship. What we need is the club to be not owned by anyone who uses it as a vessel to load debt onto. Until then any one of a number of scenarios ranging from disaster to depressingly predictible is the most likely, although I hope that surprisingly well is the actual outcome, but I doubt it.

Whatever anyone says about Rafa, he was a man that was deeply passionate about Liverpool and it's fans, and that to me is the paramount thing. I don't happen to think that he was disrespectful to anyone who deserves respect. The "Everton is a small club" thing is something someone might pick up on, but he actually referred to them as a smaller club, not a small club, and that point can hardly be argued. The allardyce thing was a laughable ambush by his and ferguson, and with ferguson himself he returned hate with hate.

Comment

Well Dom my point was that its insulting to Hodgson to compare Benitez to him. Just the things that you mention there, Hodgson would never get involved in anything like that, he is too much of a gentleman.

Thats the last thing I have to say on Benitez, except I hope he fails miserably at Inter.
                          'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

Originally posted by eagle eye View Post
                            Well Dom my point was that its insulting to Hodgson to compare Benitez to him. Just the things that you mention there, Hodgson would never get involved in anything like that, he is too much of a gentleman.

Thats the last thing I have to say on Benitez, except I hope he fails miserably at Inter.

Comment

He better start then, otherwise it's even more reason as to why he'll be out of his depth at Liverpool.

Comment

so now you're saying Big Sam and Fergie also lack class for starting it and winding up Rafa?

Anyhu whats wrong with getting involved with 3rd rate wums like big sam and whiskey snout?

you have been doing it on here all night arguing with LLoyd

are you saying you lack class?
                                Last edited by Guest; 30-06-10, 03:00. Reason: *meh

Comment

Pellegrini just got bounced out of the biggest club football job in the world. Everything for the rest of his career is a step down.

Hitzfeld just got eliminated from the WC group stages and was reported by various sources as open to the Celtic job for a a couple of weeks before they confirmed Lennon.

Judging what one can from the media swarm on the Liverpool succession, it seems the club didn't seriously or aggressively pursue either of them. And that is just bollocks from where I'm sitting.

Liverpool is currently run by a bunch of incompetent bloodsuckers. And that pisses me off. *Shrug.
                                  I knew they would appoint a British manager, 'time for a British manager' mentality.
                                  They don't have the stones (not that it would require large stones) to appoint a 'foreigner' after a 'foreigner'.

Now onto Hodgson, I feel sorry for the guy. Liverpool at this time is a poison chalice, anything worse than 4th and he will be gone imo. If he had waited a year that job is likely to be available again.
                                  I don't, he didn't have to take it, and I don't think he should have.
                                  Good luck to him and I hope he has great success, but he chose this chalice - he didn't have to, on his own head be it imo.
                                  Last edited by Lord Sir Banter; 30-06-10, 03:25.
                                  X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                  Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by Rigger View Post
                                    I don't, he didn't have to take it, and I don't think he should have.
                                    Good luck to him and I hope he has great success, but he choose this chalice - he didn't have to, on his own head be it imo.
                                    £4 million for running a football team for 2 years is a fair sweet poison imo

comic radio gold for the night owls (& yes they do work in Ireland)
                                    tend to start about 2 mins in

chris morris original show

Comment

Going for a run at 8.23am is something I never thought i'd see myself doing.....

Comment

Awesome, going to Tokyo for a conference in September! If I ever meet this 'taxpayer' guy I must remember to give him a warm handshake. Oh well I guess I'm a catalyst for the knowledge economy

Anyone been?
                                        from my small knowledge of Tokyo, you are quite likely to meet Scarlett Johanssen and have a series of exquisitely painful, yet gently humorous misunderstandings. It is also quite likely that you will suffer from rather extreme cultural dislocation.

gl with it
                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Rigger View Post
                                          I knew they would appoint a British manager, 'time for a British manager' mentality.
                                          They don't have the stones (not that it would require large stones) to appoint a 'foreigner' after a 'foreigner'.
                                          Oh, don't I know! Its just important that people realise this is a big part of why he has the job now, and it isn't stuff like Pellegrini or Hitzfeld would have no interest. Hodgson was the best candidate on a limited shortlist that did not seriously include any non Englishmen. But he is far from the best candidate when such silly criteria are put aside.

Comment

ah the joy of watching Ronaldo fail to show in yet another big game, life is good

also, Ferguson - wtf were you thinking with Pique? guy is Beckenbauer-esque imo

Comment

Oh, don't I know! Its just important that people realise this is a big part of why he has the job now, and it isn't stuff like Pellegrini or Hitzfeld would have no interest. Hodgson was the best candidate on a limited shortlist that did not seriously include any non Englishmen. But he is far from the best candidate when such silly criteria are put aside.
                                              It's like Parry and Moores never left. :-/
                                              I had thought this type of nonsense would leave with them.

Comment

I disagree.

I think it's fair to say that Liverpool are in disarray at the moment (as are United to a lesser extent, although that situation could snowball rapidly) and there are a number of factors that would put off the likes of Pellegrini & hitzfeld right now.

1. The club is struggling under a mountain of debt, which means that any investment in players is going to be miniscule at best.
                                                2. The owners are unpopular with the fans and a manager that was almost universally popular with the fans has just been removed.
                                                3. The current squad needs to be overhauled and some of the best players in it are actively/likely to look to exit as soon as possible
                                                4. The weight of expectation from the most vocal of fans is incredibly high and completely at odds with the reality of what the club can achieve.
                                                5. The owners are actively looking to sell and new owners will probably want their own man at the helm.

I said at the time that there was no manager in the world that I would rate higher than Benitez who would have any interest in the Liverpool job at this time and I stand by it. Liverpool as an entity couldn't be seen to be approaching managers and have their hands slapped as a result, it would be a PR disaster. The fact that there wasn't a queue of managers in the media expressing an interest in the job spoke volumes to me. If Arsenal, United or Chelsea sacked their managers tomorrow you wouldn't be able to keep track of the number of managers who would express an interest in taking over.

Hodgson was the best of the realistic options for Liverpool at this present time and he'll keep the club stable during a period of transition. Liverpools reality now is a battle to finish in the top 4 and a decent run in the Uefa Cup. Expectations need to be cut accordingly.
                                                Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                  ah the joy of watching Ronaldo fail to show in yet another big game, life is good

also, Ferguson - wtf were you thinking with Pique? guy is Beckenbauer-esque imo
                                                  He didn't really have a choice, Pique was always going back to Barcelona in much the same way that Arsenal are going to lose Fabregas.

Pique & Rossi are two players that Ferguson has stated he didn't want to leave but was forced to let go and both would have made a huge difference to United over the last couple of seasons

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                                                    Liverpools reality now is a battle to finish in the top 4 and a decent run in the Uefa Cup. Expectations need to be cut accordingly.
                                                    I think the faith people have in Hodgson to deliver a top 4 finish in the current circumstances is misguided. That is my ultimate point here.

Comment

I think the faith people have in Hodgson to deliver a top 4 finish in the current circumstances is misguided. That is my ultimate point here.
                                                      even if you got Mourinho as manager, you'd still only be a slight odds on shot to be Top 4 imo

Liverpool Inc. (i.e. the business, which as you must know, is now more important than Liverpool F.C.) is in awful shape, you need to adjust your expectations downwards imo and start living in the present (easy for me to say as an Ipswich fan ). Past glories do not present reality make.

Comment

Which I completely agree with, although I'm not sure that would be any different with any other manager.

To be honest I think Spurs finishing 4th last year was the worst of all possible results from a Liverpool perspective, Citeh were always going to be attractive to top players anyway and have bottomless pockets for wages and fees. If Spurs make the CL proper, and even before they do, they have just become far more attractive a destination and will be able to splurge a little more on players with the extra funds.

Liverpool could be looking at a series of 5th-7th place finishes, especially if they start losing some of their key players. On any given day they can put out a First XI that will compete with anyone in the league, but it goes downhill fairly rapidly from there. Cut 2-3 players out of that First XI and it starts to look very fragile.

Comment

Managed to get some free interwebby time for 10 mins.
                                                          Any Liverpool fan who detests Gerrard and loves Benetiz is an LOLbadfan In counting the trophies you Beeny fans like to quote as his so called ' success' Gerrard was the main reason and the drive behind these success, In Turkey in the 2nd Half he was immense, when they won the FA CUP he bailed them out with a screamer into the net. Countless times Gerrard took that team by the neck and over the line to victory, often fighting agianst the negative tactics of the very average manager. You same people who posted pictures of Tiger in various states of victorious acclaim and then condemn Gerrard are total hyprocrites. Tiger rode everything with a pulse and whilst I don't really care about sportspeoples privates lives it's kind of redic of anyone to applaud him and condemn another for committing similar crimes. We don't go for drinks with these people , we watch them perform at their peaks and enjoy, Gerrard was one of the best players to watch in the last decade and if I were a true Liverpool fan I'd appreciate the guts he has spilled on the pitch for our club. I reckon if Fergie had him United would have at least one other CL. He'd never go to United as he is a true Liverpool lad and player. I'm sure he couldn't give a toss about some Irish posters on a fecking poker forum .
                                                          He has one ordinary season and now he's on the scrap heap. He is only 30 and I reckon has a couple of big seasons left in him at least. I just hope he doesn't go to Chelsea, feck that all bets are off then for the title next season. As for Hodgson, why he wants that poison chalice I'll never know but he is a superb manager and a throwback to the old days . Even Fergie won't be able to pierce this man with mind games, Roy has seen it all. Classy guy and irrespective of wheter you want your ship steadied you will get some solidifying of your defence and some structure and consistency in your team. This team as it stands is more than capable of a 4th place finish, as they were last season but Rafa LOL tactics often baffling at times cost them . It's critical for Liverpool to hold onto Gerrard imo, he is one of the few old style 'Liverpool' type players left and if I were Roy I'd work my ass off to keep him there. As for Stevieg in the World Cup, I thought he was one of Englands best players, moderate by his own standards but excellent by the standard of those around him. I find it incredible the abuse he has taken from Liverpool fans.

Won't read the replies so knock yerselfs out (so called experts)

Comment

No one apart from Liverpool fans actually likes Liverpool anyway.

Watching Liverpool lose is the second best thing in football, behind seeing your own team win.

Hodgson is a great appointment, I am confident he can safely lead them to mid-table mediocrity and out of any relegation battle. Their only chance of success in the next ten years is to build a time machine and go back 30 years to the times of Shankly etc, they would all be happy enough anyway as it's all they go on about. Plus apparently unemployment benefits were better back then.

Comment

Originally posted by Solskjaer View Post
                                                              Managed to get some free interwebby time for 10 mins.
                                                              Any Liverpool fan who detests Gerrard and loves Benetiz is an LOLbadfan In counting the trophies you Beeny fans like to quote as his so called ' success' Gerrard was the main reason and the drive behind these success, In Turkey in the 2nd Half he was immense, when they won the FA CUP he bailed them out with a screamer into the net. Countless times Gerrard took that team by the neck and over the line to victory, often fighting agianst the negative tactics of the very average manager. You same people who posted pictures of Tiger in various states of victorious acclaim and then condemn Gerrard are total hyprocrites. Tiger rode everything with a pulse and whilst I don't really care about sportspeoples privates lives it's kind of redic of anyone to applaud him and condemn another for committing similar crimes. We don't go for drinks with these people , we watch them perform at their peaks and enjoy, Gerrard was one of the best players to watch in the last decade and if I were a true Liverpool fan I'd appreciate the guts he has spilled on the pitch for our club. I reckon if Fergie had him United would have at least one other CL. He'd never go to United as he is a true Liverpool lad and player. I'm sure he couldn't give a toss about some Irish posters on a fecking poker forum .
                                                              He has one ordinary season and now he's on the scrap heap. He is only 30 and I reckon has a couple of big seasons left in him at least. I just hope he doesn't go to Chelsea, feck that all bets are off then for the title next season. As for Hodgson, why he wants that poison chalice I'll never know but he is a superb manager and a throwback to the old days . Even Fergie won't be able to pierce this man with mind games, Roy has seen it all. Classy guy and irrespective of wheter you want your ship steadied you will get some solidifying of your defence and some structure and consistency in your team. This team as it stands is more than capable of a 4th place finish, as they were last season but Rafa LOL tactics often baffling at times cost them . It's critical for Liverpool to hold onto Gerrard imo, he is one of the few old style 'Liverpool' type players left and if I were Roy I'd work my ass off to keep him there. As for Stevieg in the World Cup, I thought he was one of Englands best players, moderate by his own standards but excellent by the standard of those around him. I find it incredible the abuse he has taken from Liverpool fans.

Won't read the replies so knock yerselfs out (so called experts)
                                                              Get a blog so.

Comment

Anyone fancy a change in accommodation? For a mere €750pm you can live here:

Find Property For Rent in Ireland. Search 1,766 properties for rent in Ireland on Daft.ie now.

Comment

from my small knowledge of Tokyo, you are quite likely to meet Scarlett Johanssen and have a series of exquisitely painful, yet gently humorous misunderstandings. It is also quite likely that you will suffer from rather extreme cultural dislocation.

gl with it
                                                                  My grant is quite under spent so I put it to the boss that I should stay in the Park Hyatt (from the movie) while over there. He laughed....I'm not sure if it meant go ahead of gtfo

Comment

My grant is quite under spent so I put it to the boss that I should stay in the Park Hyatt (from the movie) while over there. He laughed....I'm not sure if it meant go ahead of gtfo
                                                                    Presidential suite imo.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=878187
                                                                      that is pretty sickening tbh, sheomra's aren't hugely expensive, and the place isn't fit out A1 style. I think a sheomra that size costs less than 30k to build, and maybe 15k for fitout? (Pulling the second number out of my arse).

Its not even as if its in a fantastic location, saving you money on commuting each month either!

Comment

even if you got Mourinho as manager, you'd still only be a slight odds on shot to be Top 4 imo

Liverpool Inc. (i.e. the business, which as you must know, is now more important than Liverpool F.C.) is in awful shape, you need to adjust your expectations downwards imo and start living in the present (easy for me to say as an Ipswich fan ). Past glories do not present reality make.
                                                                        Which I completely agree with, although I'm not sure that would be any different with any other manager.

To be honest I think Spurs finishing 4th last year was the worst of all possible results from a Liverpool perspective, Citeh were always going to be attractive to top players anyway and have bottomless pockets for wages and fees. If Spurs make the CL proper, and even before they do, they have just become far more attractive a destination and will be able to splurge a little more on players with the extra funds.

Liverpool could be looking at a series of 5th-7th place finishes, especially if they start losing some of their key players. On any given day they can put out a First XI that will compete with anyone in the league, but it goes downhill fairly rapidly from there. Cut 2-3 players out of that First XI and it starts to look very fragile.
                                                                        Originally posted by The C Kid
                                                                        Even Mourinho would struggle to get Liverpool in the Champions League with the club in the current shape, anyway it's great to see them struggle 95% of their fans are deluded droolers who think because they were big back in the day they should have some divine right to win the league.
                                                                        There is a lot of in the above posts.

I fully agree that we are looking bad to get into the top 4 now. And as such am seething that we spent £8m when we are so cash strapped to change the manager when it is crystal clear that the real change needs to happen at board level, and in terms of the club's financial outlook as a whole.

I actually agree with a small bit of The C Kid's final point (it isn't 95% though). We clearly have a significant portion of the fanbase that are blind to the current realities. That doesn't really matter though! People can talk about readjusted expectations, but the idea that Liverpool fans should be happy or relieved at an appointment that doesn't project as securing the minimum objectives with any certainty is quite ridiculous to me.

Comment

There is a lot of in the above posts.

I fully agree that we are looking bad to get into the top 4 now. And as such am seething that we spent £8m when we are so cash strapped to change the manager when it is crystal clear that the real change needs to happen at board level, and in terms of the club's financial outlook as a whole.

I actually agree with a small bit of The C Kid's final point (it isn't 95% though). We clearly have a significant portion of the fanbase that are blind to the current realities. That doesn't really matter though! People can talk about readjusted expectations, but the idea that Liverpool fans should be happy or relieved at an appointment that doesn't project as securing the minimum objectives with any certainty is quite ridiculous to me.
                                                                          I deleted that post as it was too sensible and decided to troll with some more obvious bait.

Comment

Great idea imo. Thinking of running this ad:

My shed is 8x8ft no windows or toilets (but you can shit in the flowerbeds). There is an outside tap for shower/washing clothes etc and a big garden (which you would be required to maintain).....a steal at €500pm

Comment

Originally posted by The C Kid View Post
                                                                              I deleted that post as it was too sensible and decided to troll with some more obvious bait.
                                                                              You've been on full on troll mode with respect to football since Huddlestone was cut from England's 23 man squad. I think you need to knuckle down, make your next 15 or so football posts decent ones and then you can BAM! - troll some newly unsuspecting fools.

Comment

interesting angle shoot! no planning permission needed...
                                                                                http://mobro.co/zuroph
                                                                                donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

You've been on full on troll mode with respect to football since Huddlestone was cut from England's 23 man squad. I think you need to knuckle down, make your next 15 or so football posts decent ones and then you can BAM! - troll some newly unsuspecting fools.
                                                                                  Yeah, gonna stop the football posting for a while, I'm not very good at it. Plus no one cares now England are out.

Even more importantly it's only 5 days until Andy Murray wins Wimbledon.

Comment

start pimping yourself out to swarthy Sheikhs imo, worked for City

changing the board makes no difference to the financial dynamics, it's the ownership that is key

Comment

What in particular about my post did you object to Llyod? i don't see anything there that is even slightly tbf

You do have a First XI that can compete with anyone in the league. You do have a squad that weakens rapidly after that. You are likely to lose 2-3 of that First XI this summer & both Spurs & Citeh have become more attractive destinations for players over the last 12 months.

All of that points to Liverpool having major struggles in the league next year and until the ownership/debt is resolved and unless there is significant investment to both replace the players that go and bring in better squad players then whoever goes in to manage will have the same problems.

Comment

Yeah, gonna stop the football posting for a while, I'm not very good at it. Plus no one cares now England are out.

Even more importantly it's only 5 days until Andy Murray wins Wimbledon.
                                                                                        tennis trolling ftw

I look forward to his sad little face as he looks up to Mummy in the stands, having choked yet again

Comment

tennis trolling ftw

I look forward to his sad little face as he looks up to Mummy in the stands, having choked yet again
                                                                                          People who don't like Murray are like people who don't like Tiger and The Sopranos - Retards.

Comment

People who don't like Murray are like people who don't like Tiger and The Sopranos - Retards.
                                                                                            I like the Sopranos so I'm only half-retarded. I also don't like anything at all to do with golf so it's not just a Tiger prejudice.

Comment

changing the board makes no difference to the financial dynamics, it's the ownership that is key
                                                                                              Ah, that's what I meant sorry.

Comment

tennis trolling ftw

for all his apparent faults(?) you gotta love a British tennis player who being Britain's only hope doesn't care about being a Brit, has no interest in in the once a year England Britain rarara tennis fans and probably would swap a Wimbledon win for the French open in a heart beat

I see the football discussion is in full troll mode this morning, well Eagle is the only football troll I like to poke with a stick interact with as my doctor said chatter that is high in trollerific content is bad for your cholesterol levels

*ooh and if any of ye are bored/in need of a laugh, do listen to the 2 radio links I posted last night, top quality stuff I'sss promise!
                                                                                                Last edited by Guest; 30-06-10, 10:30. Reason: *

Comment

What in particular about my post did you object to Llyod? i don't see anything there that is even slightly tbf

You do have a First XI that can compete with anyone in the league. You do have a squad that weakens rapidly after that. You are likely to lose 2-3 of that First XI this summer & both Spurs & Citeh have become more attractive destinations for players over the last 12 months.

All of that points to Liverpool having major struggles in the league next year and until the ownership/debt is resolved and unless there is significant investment to both replace the players that go and bring in better squad players then whoever goes in to manage will have the same problems.
                                                                                                  No I agree with your post from a factual perspective. Just irked that you wrote it all down when responding to a post from me as if I wasn't aware of all those points being the case!

Comment

Turned on the telly a few minutes ago, Postman Pat now has a helicopter, it's no wonder that the global economy went tits up.

Comment

Ah, that's what I meant sorry.
                                                                                                      yeah I know

the point is that without the intervention of some Sugar Daddy (Sheikh Mansour style rather than Malcolm Glazer), Liverpool's short-medium outlook vis-a-vis their Premiership rivals is poor. They won't be able to afford to buy the best players and they'll be unlikely to be able to keep the likes of Torres, Gerrard (coming to the end anyway), Kuyt or Mascherano either.

Liverpool need to start thinking of their immediate cohorts in the Premiership as being Everton and Aston Villa, rather than Man U and Chelsea. The gap is widening.

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambo View Post
                                                                                                        for all his apparent faults(?) you gotta love a British tennis player who being Britain's only hope doesn't care about being a Brit, has no interest in in the once a year England Britain rarara tennis fans and probably would swap a Wimbledon win for the French open in a heart beat
                                                                                                        meh, it's all overriden by the fact that he has to look up to Mummy in order to decide whether to challenge a dodgy line call or not.

Plus he is a choker of the highest order, almost as much as Ronaldo

Comment

anyway, never mind sports. Here in the real world, it's good to know that vast sums of money are in the hands of sober and professional types.

Or not

ffs, if they have to start fining trades done under the influence, there'll be no business done in the City after 2pm any day of the week...

Comment

yeah I know

the point is that without the intervention of some Sugar Daddy (Sheikh Mansour style rather than Malcolm Glazer), Liverpool's short-medium outlook vis-a-vis their Premiership rivals is poor. They won't be able to afford to buy the best players and they'll be unlikely to be able to keep the likes of Torres, Gerrard (coming to the end anyway), Kuyt or Mascherano either.

Liverpool need to start thinking of their immediate cohorts in the Premiership as being Everton and Aston Villa, rather than Man U and Chelsea. The gap is widening.
                                                                                                            Well, we just have to wait and see what type of new ownership structure we pull out of the hat. It is still important to remember that a lot of the club's financial woes can be directly traced to the leveraged nature of the previous takeover. If the mountain of debt currently in the club's name could be cleared, you have basic revenue streams that could amply cover the current wage obligations / running costs.

But while the mountain of debt and their crippling interest obligations remain, they paralyse on field potential, which crushes on field results, which gradually weakens the revenue streams as fickle daytripping 'fans' from around the world decide to buy a Man City jersey and coffee mug set with their money instead...

Comment

I am back! Decided to give MrFlushdraw another chance

Especially since he moving home permanent at weekend to be with his family!

Comment

Best of luck to Sean Prendiville who's down to the last 20 of Event #49: $1,500 No-Limit Hold'em

1 Michael Linn 1,410,000
                                                                                                                2 Mihai Manole 1,253,000
                                                                                                                3 Jonathan Spinks 703,000
                                                                                                                4 Benjamin Smith 604,000
                                                                                                                5 Chadwick Grimes 591,000
                                                                                                                6 Sean Prendiville 574,000
                                                                                                                7 Taylor Larkin 570,000
                                                                                                                8 Benjamin Eilers 560,000
                                                                                                                9 Anthony Spinella 535,000
                                                                                                                10 Alexander Kuzmin 462,000

Play continues at 3pm Vegas time for day 3 (11pm our time).

For those of you who can't put a face to a name:

GLGLGLGLGLGLGLGLGLGLGLGLGLGLGLGLGLGLGLGLGLGLGLGLGL GLGLGLGLGLGLGLGLGLGL
                                                                                                                .
                                                                                                                . .

Comment

meh, it's all overriden by the fact that he has to look up to Mummy in order to decide whether to challenge a dodgy line call or not.
                                                                                                                  Does anyone think that the physical similarity in terms of facial looks between his Mum and girlfriend is just a little 'odd'? It was my Mam who twigged me on to this recently when she said "his girlfriend really does look like a younger version of his mother".

anyway, never mind sports. Here in the real world, it's good to know that vast sums of money are in the hands of sober and professional types.

Or not

ffs, if they have to start fining trades done under the influence, there'll be no business done in the City after 2pm any day of the week...
                                                                                                                  Can you paste the content of that article please? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                                                                    I am back! Decided to give MrFlushdraw another chance

Especially since he moving home permanent at weekend to be with his family!
                                                                                                                    Nice one
                                                                                                                    That commute must have been a bitch!
                                                                                                                    .
                                                                                                                    . .

Comment

Does anyone think that the physical similarity in terms of facial looks between his Mum and girlfriend is just a little 'odd'? It was my Mam who twigged me on to this recently when she said "his girlfriend really does look like a younger version of his mother".
                                                                                                                      Hamlet has nothing on Andy imo

Can you paste the content of that article please? Thanks!
                                                                                                                      Originally posted by FT
                                                                                                                      A former oil broker was fined and banned from the industry for five years after the UK regulator said he made unauthorised trades from home and triggered a spike in oil prices after a weekend of heavy drinking.

The Financial Services Authority fined Steven Perkins, a former oil futures broker at the London-based PVM brokerage, £72,000 ($108,000) for “market abuse” after he took a “very significant” bet of more than $500m in Brent crude oil.

He accessed the market using an internet-based trading platform from his laptop in the middle of the night.

The regulator said Mr Perkins’ explanation for his trading on 29 and 30 June, 2009, was that he was drunk after drinking “heavily throughout the weekend” on a company’s golf party.

He continued drinking afterwards, he told the FSA. “Mr Perkins’ account ... is that he was drunk and was in an alcohol induced blackout.”

The case made headlines last year as Mr Perkins’ trading pushed Brent prices to more than $73 a barrel, the highest level of the year up to that date. News of the rogue trading did not filter to the broader market for several days.

The unexplained spike in oil prices prompted concerns about the impact of rising energy prices on the weak economic recovery.

The FSA said: “This trading gave a false and misleading impression as to the supply, demand and price of Brent and it had the direct effect of increasing the price of Brent to an abnormal and artificial level”.

The fine is a further sign that the FSA is cracking down on price manipulation in London’s raw materials markets. But some lawyers were surprised that the fine was not higher. “This case was quite serious and yet only regulatory penalties were used,” said Neill Blundell, head of the fraud group at law firm Eversheds.

The regulator made no criticism of PVM, the world’s largest oil broker.

Brent prices surged after Mr Perkins took a long position – a bet on higher prices – of 7,125 lots, each equal to 1,000 barrels.

On average last year only 514 lots were traded in the early hours when Mr Perkins was active. Before the former broker started to buy futures contracts, Brent was hovering at around $71 a barrel. Prices surged afterwards to $73.5 a barrel. After PVM later unwound its trades, oil prices fell to less than $69 a barrel.

Comment

His girlfriend is ridiculously hot, so any debate on how she/who she looks like is instantly over-ridden by the fact she is so attractive.

Comment

His girlfriend is ridiculously hot, so any debate on how she/who she looks like is instantly over-ridden by the fact she is so attractive.
                                                                                                                          she's no Mrs Fed though

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X