donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
      What you planning Ace? lol
      No WW talk in here please

Comment

Originally posted by White Knight View Post
        No WW talk in here please
        I didn't expect an answer, just making sure everyone noticed the white writing, first time I have noticed it lol. Hurry up ten o'clock! lol

Comment

Originally posted by dannydiamond View Post
          I love that woman.

I'd love to see pics of the women Ashley Cole was shagging.
          tbh (and I haven't read further than this, so someone else may have made the point)

While "I'll only cheat with someone more attractive" would be expected to be an integral part of a cheaters decision making process (getting past the whole should you/shouldn't you cheat thing)

The reality is that looks is way down on the list of reasons that people cheat. Men cheat because a) they can, b) it massages their ego, c) they love sex, d) they can do things their partner either won't let them or is no good at.

At a guess, looking at the Cole & Woods situations I'd say it's a combination of wanting something more than vanilla sex which is almost guaranteed with a "fan" as opposed to a partner, and a bucket load of opportunity.

Within reason every woman is attractive, and the superstar good looks are only really part of the trophy parading process as opposed to defining reasons why someone would cheat. Once a woman is reasonably attractive and has a semi-decent figure it really boils down to "how good is the sex going to be?"

or so I've been told anyway.....
          Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
            Actually would you know if any of the Dawkins books are worth reading? Would love to read a good book on how we evolved all the way back from the amphibian stage. At the moment my main knowledge of evolution is that the crazies are against it for biblical reasons so it must be correct but didn't actually learn about it in school except in the most general sense.
            Yeah as Hotspur and others have said, I also really enjoyed The Selfish Gene, and obv. The God Delusion is good too IMO.
            Originally posted by Mellor View Post
            I find Serial Killers incredibly fascinating, if there is ever a show bout any serial killer I get glues to it.
            I'm the same, so much so in fact that I went back to college to study psychology with the aim to go down the Forensic Psychology route.
            Originally posted by hotspur View Post
            One of my favourite ever books (not just on evolution or sociobiology / evolutionary psychology but of anything I've ever read) is Sex, Evolution and Behaviour by Daly and Wilson- you can pick it up a 2nd hand copy on Amazon UK for less than £2. It was the first book I ever read in the field and I found it utterly fascinating:
            http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sex-Evolutio...dp/0871507676/
            Just ordered it, looking forward to reading it. It's crazy the book costs GB£170 first hand from amazon and you can buy it for £5 on the same page, amazon really is a great site...

I went on an amazon spending spree yesterday. After finishing The Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell I decided to buy his other books, really liked it. For anyone into popular science/ psychology it's a really good read.

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
              tbh (and I haven't read further than this, so someone else may have made the point)

While "I'll only cheat with someone more attractive" would be expected to be an integral part of a cheaters decision making process (getting past the whole should you/shouldn't you cheat thing)

The reality is that looks is way down on the list of reasons that people cheat. Men cheat because a) they can, b) it massages their ego, c) they love sex, d) they can do things their partner either won't let them or is no good at.

At a guess, looking at the Cole & Woods situations I'd say it's a combination of wanting something more than vanilla sex which is almost guaranteed with a "fan" as opposed to a partner, and a bucket load of opportunity.

Within reason every woman is attractive, and the superstar good looks are only really part of the trophy parading process as opposed to defining reasons why someone would cheat. Once a woman is reasonably attractive and has a semi-decent figure it really boils down to "how good is the sex going to be?"

or so I've been told anyway.....

Go on, i'll bite. Vanilla sex??? Plain??

Comment

Mandelas great grandaughter killed on the way home from the openng concert last night aged 13.

two english guys killed in a traffic accident over there also.

Comment

Originally posted by Solskjaer View Post
                  Mandelas great grandaughter killed on the way home from the openng concert last night aged 13.

two english guys killed in a traffic accident over there also.
                  Heard that this morning. As if the man hadn't been through enough.

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                    I really should watch my phraseology

Pretty much. Anything that would be considered part of the norm for a large chunk of the population, I think you'd be surprised at the number of relationships where it's literally missionary position with the lights off please.

Of course vanilla sex refers to a lot more than just that, but you can broaden or tighten the definition to suit the conversation.
                    Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

From the other place....

Raid @ Atari Santry??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone know what happened @ Atari Santry last night. Heard there was Guards everywhere & everyone taken out of the club..

Anyone have any info ??

Comment

Heres a way you know if someone likes Iain or not. If they like him they spell his name Iain bit if they dont its just ian

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                          Heres a way you know if someone likes Iain or not. If they like him they spell his name Iain bit if they dont its just ian
                          So if you call him Ian ShyAnn you really hate him.

do you like living in Norf Dublin?

Comment

BTW, generally is the name spelt Iain pronounced the welsh way, like yiyan, (not 100% sure how to write it phonetically) or is it just plain old Ian?

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                              Have others not heard of the phrase "vanilla sex"??

I'd have considered it just regular stuff, i.e no bondage, scat or other similar carry-on.

I'd have thought plain old missionary, under the covers, lights out to be just plain old boring/repressed.

We may need a Hitchhikers ruling on this one!

Comment

Originally posted by Fiery Wasabi View Post
                                From the other place....

Raid @ Atari Santry??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone know what happened @ Atari Santry last night. Heard there was Guards everywhere & everyone taken out of the club..

Anyone have any info ??
                                wow thank God I gave up poker because I definitely would have been there

John posts on here so Im sure he can tell us why but im not entirely surprised tbh

Comment

Originally posted by Fiery Wasabi View Post
                                  From the other place....

Raid @ Atari Santry??

Anyone have any info ??
                                  Thats John and Kasia's place yeah?
                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Bill Maher explains exactly why men like Cole/Woods cheat on there stunning wives (near end but do watch all)

to be watched with headphones on if in work/surrounded by womens/kids!
                                    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oop5fY755Jo[/ame]

SPOILER
                                    old v's new

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
                                      Actually yeah, shouldn't have quoted that as it only encourages him (Chris not bubbleking!).

btw anyone else here a fan of Michael Connelly books? - the guy who writes the Harry Bosch LA detective series. Such excellent thrashy books. Finished The Concrete Blonde in about two days and on to The Last Coyote now. Think that might be the last of his books to be read though

On a slightly unrelated book note; finished True History of the Kelly Gang last week and that was some book. Still unsure if the book was actually well-written but the story itself is so fascinating. Anyone know if he was really the scumbag that official oz history suggests, or is the Robin Hood version in the book a better summary of him?
                                      Unless you are reading the series backwards there is a few more to go..
                                      excellent thrashy books that you read quickly is a good way to describe them though!

Harry Bosch Appearances:
                                      The Black Echo (1992)
                                      The Black Ice (1993)
                                      The Concrete Blonde (1994)
                                      The Last Coyote (1995)
                                      Trunk Music (1997)
                                      Angels Flight (1999)
                                      A Darkness More Than Night (2001)
                                      City Of Bones (2002)
                                      Lost Light (2003)
                                      The Narrows (2004)
                                      The Closers (2005)
                                      Echo Park (2006)
                                      The Overlook (2007)
                                      The Brass Verdict (2008)
                                      Nine Dragons (2009)
                                      The Reversal (Coming October 5, 2010)

Comment

Also, BTW we have to have the best YT embedding here. Having the fullscreen button in the thread is the nuts IMO!!

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                          Thats John and Kasia's place yeah?
                                          I think so - its John the Scottish dude? really want to know what Iv narrowly avoided

Comment

Originally posted by bubbleking View Post
                                            I think so - its John the Scottish dude? really want to know what Iv narrowly avoided
                                            YIP. Well respected.

Comment

Originally posted by Ste05 View Post

I'd have considered it just regular stuff, i.e no bondage, scat or other similar carry-on.

I'd have thought plain old missionary, under the covers, lights out to be just plain old boring/repressed.

Scat is one of the first things you thought of when departing from vanilla sex? Really?

Sick man Ste, sick man.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                Scat is one of the first things you thought of when departing from vanilla sex? Really?

Sick man Ste, sick man.
                                                LOL, I just thought Bondage might be a little tame for the Hotspur's and Hitchhikers among us so decided to go to the other extreme!!

Comment

Originally posted by big_iain View Post
                                                  YIP. Well respected.
                                                  Agree very nice man. If the place got raided I suspect its to do with the clientelle.

Comment

A Dawkins book that doesn't get enough love is [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ancestors-Tale-Richard-Dawkins/dp/0753819961/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276249970&sr=1-1"]the Ancestors Tale[/ame].
                                                    I'd also recomment [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Freedom-Evolves-Daniel-C-Dennett/dp/0140283897/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276249985&sr=1-2"]Freedom Evolves[/ame] to anyone who enjoys reading Dawkins, Dennett gets a lot of flack for it and no doubt there is a lot of work still to be done but you get the feeling that he is laying the groundwork for something huge. That I read it while in Tehran made it very real for me how important it is that we understand.
                                                    I can't let a science book post go without recommending again that anyone with any interest in computing, AI, maths, music, philosophy ... feck it interest in anything at all should have a go at [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Godel-Escher-Bach-Eternal-Golden/dp/0140289208/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276249946&sr=1-1"]Godel Escher Bach[/ame] its a great trip and one of those books that once you are finished you will keep coming back to and dipping in and out of.

Comment

Originally posted by big_iain View Post
                                                      YIP. Well respected.
                                                      Atari last night - The details.
                                                      What I heard was Dokey dropped up there for a quiet night before his vegas trip, Iain Shyann was recording a radio show with John O'Shea on the phone,
                                                      Doke then set up his equipment and recorded a separate show causing enormous feedback noises
                                                      then this happened.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZrRzQml_Ig&feature=PlayList&p=3799F16CF53 68C16&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=38"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZrRzQml_Ig&feature=PlayList&p=3799F16CF53 68C16&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=38[/ame]

Comment

FML €11k bill.

Ugh, the pain of career changes.

Comment

I'm from Kerry.

We're only just getting the hang of missionary ffs.

Comment

Just been told by doctor I have to go for ultrasound on my kidney as I was passing a lot of blood, she also told me I really shouldn't be travelling... to go to Vegas or not to....
                                                            Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                              I know nothing about the league but surely that would just skew results even further ?

Opr
                                                              I only meant in the fact that if walkovers have been given then surely the dynamic is going to swing in certain peoples direction given certain people have yet to play and if they suddenly they have to play against someone who is taking it seriously other people are going to be put at an advantage.

Opr
                                                              Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                                              I reckon it'll be Flushdraws decision, obviously gonna be a good few backing him to play on though
                                                              Yeah that's obviously a concern when running the league and as i said, every year i try to tweak it a little to combat this. There are 14 people in the league and it's split into 3 sections.

The first phase gives players 6 weeks to play their first 5 games. If anyone can't fulfil any of their fixtures for any reason, they will receive walkovers against them for all games in this phase.

The 2nd phase starts fresh, and players once again have 6 weeks to play 5 games. Same as above, if anyone can't fulfil their fixtures for this section they face the same scenario. This happened on a few occasions. TG played 2 but lost both, so all 5 games went down as a defeat. In a different league, Brefine had won one game, so that result was reversed and given as a walkover against his opponent.

Players paid a deposit that is being held back if they dont fulfil their fixtures. The money held back will be used for a freeroll for all league players

Phase 3 is the least 3 games of the season are taken on a 1 game by 1 game basis. TG's 1st game was awarded as a walkover. He has NFR to play next and there's still time left to get that and his last game played.

Comment

Just been told by doctor I have to go for ultrasound on my kidney as I was passing a lot of blood, she also told me I really shouldn't be travelling... to go to Vegas or not to....
                                                                Work away. John Locke got away fine with just the one kidney.

Comment

I have burst a blood vessel reading that fuckin WW thread, ffs

I'm sure my fellow dead people know what I mean

Comment

What a place to die!

Comment

alot of blood! If I started pissing *any* blood I'd go to the doctor.

If you do go to Vegas, make sure you have decent insurance, the worst thing would be to get there something go wrong and you're left with a huge medical bill!!!

Comment

alot of blood! If I started pissing *any* blood I'd go to the doctor.

If you do go to Vegas, make sure you have decent insurance, the worst thing would be to get there something go wrong and you're left with a huge medical bill!!!
                                                                        Yeah she wasn't very happy when I said I had to go. "best friends wedding and I can't miss it", ya know .
                                                                        Don't have any insurance atm so I guess I should sort that out by Wednesday.... Like I've been doing nothing with my life for the last few months, why does everything come at the same time!!
                                                                        Go big or go homeless.

Comment

I booked flights few months back without insurance(moron I know!). Think if I ring or mail United Airlines I could include it now? Or any other solutions. Cheers
                                                                          Go big or go homeless.

Comment

I booked flights few months back without insurance(moron I know!). Think if I ring or mail United Airlines I could include it now? Or any other solutions. Cheers
                                                                            I think the AA do travel insurance.
                                                                            May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Of all the stories though Danny Diamonds is the most horrible, lucky to be alive that fellow Still don't believe he bagged Andrea Coor though, I think that was a dream when he was out cold.

I've decided I'm not going to look at IPB until Engerland are knocked out of the World Cup. Danny couldn't think of a prop bet but that's my part of the bargain so from this post I'm not looking at IPB. If I do I'll donate 200 quid to a charity of Dannys choice. Obviously this will have to be an honour thing but at least the mods will know
                                                                              if I've logged in. Not much of a prop bet but it's WC day and I can't think of anything else.

and to balance my lolrafa stuff from the other night . He donated 96,000 to the Hillsbourogh fund (1k for every dead person) before he left , this is a brillaint gesture , fail play Rafa , huge kudos I would think.

I'll have 50 on Enggerland to beat the US 3-0 (my nap of the tourny after Spain)

rules me out of the next WW game also.

Comment

...
                                                                                "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Howard_Finkel View Post
                                                                                  ...

I'm sure my fellow dead people know what I mean
                                                                                  Posting comments like that on here is still playing the game and doing more to distort it than anything else delete the comment FFS!

You are dead, just leave the players that are still in to play. If you can't play by the rules and wait for the post game thread then don't play it any more. IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                    Yeah that's obviously a concern when running the league and as i said, every year i try to tweak it a little to combat this. There are 14 people in the league and it's split into 3 sections.

The first phase gives players 6 weeks to play their first 5 games. If anyone can't fulfil any of their fixtures for any reason, they will receive walkovers against them for all games in this phase.

The 2nd phase starts fresh, and players once again have 6 weeks to play 5 games. Same as above, if anyone can't fulfil their fixtures for this section they face the same scenario. This happened on a few occasions. TG played 2 but lost both, so all 5 games went down as a defeat. In a different league, Brefine had won one game, so that result was reversed and given as a walkover against his opponent.

Players paid a deposit that is being held back if they dont fulfil their fixtures. The money held back will be used for a freeroll for all league players

Phase 3 is the least 3 games of the season are taken on a 1 game by 1 game basis. TG's 1st game was awarded as a walkover. He has NFR to play next and there's still time left to get that and his last game played.
                                                                                    I think its better if I don't comment any further and leave it to the people who are involved in the league. I don't and have never followed the leagues on here but fair play it looks like you really put a huge amount of effort, thought and time into the league.

Opr

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                          Harry warned off for 6 months.
                                                                                          Findlay?

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                            Harry warned off for 6 months.
                                                                                            Feckin eejit, how dumb is that?

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                              Posting comments like that on here is still playing the game and doing more to distort it than anything else delete the comment FFS!

You are dead, just leave the players that are still in to play. If you can't play by the rules and wait for the post game thread then don't play it any more. IMO
                                                                                              I 100% agree with this. There's 1 day left in the game, can't you just wait until then? I mean, every game that you've been a villager/seer in, you have this 100% read that you know who all the ghouls are, and you are wrong way more than you are right. Instead you post in here like you can read everything like a book, and you know who everyone is, where if that was the case, you'd still be in the fcking game.

Just leave the WW shite alone and then you can say whatever you want in the afterthread party

Comment

what the fuck are you two smoking.

I'm not saying I know who the ghouls, as anyone knocked out will know it sucks being on the outside not being able to join in.

I don't know who is who

Comment

I think its better if I don't comment any further and leave it to the people who are involved in the league. I don't and have never followed the leagues on here but fair play it looks like you really put a huge amount of effort, thought and time into the league.

Opr
                                                                                                  Yeah OPR, it's basically a league based on the honour system. It's pretty easy for people to avoid each other and play the "But i tried" card and hope the games dont get played.

You also get tons of PMs with a whole variety of excuses why people couldn't meet deadlines or get games played. It's quite hard to try and make a decision where it doesn't affect too many people while still seen to be fair.

I could post every night between 11pm and 2am saying i am around to play, when i know my opponent is not around. He could post twice saying he is available between 6pm and 10pm. So i go and post another 5 times saying i can play between 3pm and 6pm and 11pm and 2am.

When that game is not played, that's when you need to think about how you are going to award the game. These things happen all through the game along with a whole variety of reasons why people didnt post for the first 4 weeks but want their opponents to be available for the last 2 etc.

It's a nightmare when it doesn't run smoothly, and especially as there's almost $20k at stake. I'm going bald from pulling my hair out times!

Cheers btw for the comment, and yeah, just let people battle it out that are involved in the league

Comment

...
                                                                                                    Are you really that dumb and misunderstand the game that completely?

Looks like it tbh.

If you don't get why you should delete both posts I'll spel;l it out in words of one syllable to you in the PGT. In the mean time just delete them.

Comment

I'm not saying I know who the ghouls, as anyone knocked out will know it sucks being on the outside not being able to join in.

I don't know who is who
                                                                                                      I just dont see why you're pulling your hair out? I 100% know who the aplha ww is because thats my team, and thats it. I have my opinions on everyone else, but i just don't see the need to comment in the BBV. Let's just leave it til the afterthread as we said, and respect WK

Comment

...

Comment

I actually feel like a kid at christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                                            I just dont see why you're pulling your hair out? I 100% know who the aplha ww is because thats my team, and thats it. I have my opinions on everyone else, but i just don't see the need to comment in the BBV. Let's just leave it til the afterthread as we said, and respect WK
                                                                                                            I just like to win

/of me speaking

Comment

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKWdSCt4jGE[/ame]

Comment

The cunt passed the curse onto pool, it all becomes clear.

South African healer Bishop Isaac Nonyaneto claims he has removed 'malicious spirits' from Australia forward Harry Kewell

Opr

Comment

Anyone know where one could pick up a cheap threadmill? 500 ish

Comment

was after forgetting about this woman until i heard her on tubirdy this morning

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCXnJIAQd1o[/ame]
                                                                                                                    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt0sXRBLfJM[/ame]
                                                                                                                    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHZV7NOqEY4[/ame]
                                                                                                                    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-26hsZqwveA&feature=related[/ame]

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

i suppose guns'n'roses are sold out?
                                                                                                                      was on ticket master yesterday but they had none

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Is Maradona so demented as to sabotage Messi?

By James Lawton

Thursday June 10 2010

Of all the charges of perverse spirit, if not outright madness, pressing against Diego Maradona down the years, the latest of them is maybe the most shocking of all.

Inevitably it has become a raw, freakish psychodrama at the heart of the World Cup. The indictment is that only half of him pines for the Argentina triumph that would, mere sanity suggests, even more deeply entrench his position as hero and messiah and a strange, bright light on the dark side of the national character.

The other half of Maradona, the bizarre theory says, is committed to the downfall of Lionel Messi, the only Argentinian player in 24 years who has begun to threaten his coach's place in the heart of a sublimely gifted but deeply paranoid football nation.

Could it really be that among all his other demons, Maradona has one telling him that if Messi wins the World Cup and cements his reputation as far and away the best player in the world, it might just be at the cost of the legend of 1986?

Is it that, at least subliminally, Maradona cannot accept the idea that Messi might just exceed his own performances in Mexico and -- because however great a coach is he will never command the instant affection of the streets in the way of a player of genius operating at his prime -- take some mystique, some unique affection, that has been integral to his survival?

It is something that can only be investigated out in the open on Saturday in Johannesburg, rather than behind the security fences of the team's training camp.

Argentina's opener against Nigeria provide's the first opportunity to analyse how Maradona has fashioned his team to best suit -- or not -- the needs of his most extraordinarily gifted player. Will Maradona have Messi in a more advanced position than in previous Argentina games under his command? Will Messi be the radiating genius of the campaign, or will he be subverted, marginalised? In the meantime, conspiracy theorists will continue to argue that there is no shortage of sinister plot lines.

Ignored

The latest is that when Maradona came to pick his squad he wilfully ignored the advantages of selecting Gabriel Milito, brother of Internazionale striker Diego and Messi's Barcelona team-mate and close friend.

Selecting Gabriel would have carried twin benefits. One, his defensive qualities would surely have been useful in an area of the team that is plainly the weakest, partly because another Maradona whim deprives it of the services of Champions League winner Javier Zanetti.

Two, Milito could have made a vital contribution to Messi's morale and composure in the long hours of waiting for the action.

Maradona shrugs away the complaint, suggesting that he is not concerned with providing psychological props for grown-up players. The coach's critics say that it is precisely the opposite of that and support their claims with other examples of Maradona undermining the confidence of his best player.

Exhibit A is a television interview given by Maradona a few months ago in which he cruelly fed the conviction of many in Argentina that Messi, for all his glorious deeds on behalf of Barcelona, has rarely touched such heights for his country, and that maybe part of the reason is that he simply doesn't care enough.

"I think he lacks character," Maradona said. "Messi sometimes plays for Messi. He is so fond of himself he sometimes forgets his team-mates. He is Messi Football Club."

There was also a withering insult when Maradona tossed out the word "chupon" -- a schoolyard condemnation of anyone who attempts to hog the ball.

If Maradona's life had not been so besieged by madness and excess, it would be easier to say that his worst critics had been touched by their own form of insanity.

Accept the appointment of football messiah, hold the affection of your country in your hand as tightly as anyone since Eva Peron, and then sabotage the most obvious instrument of your potential success. On any profile of Maradona, this surely shoots off the screen.

Yet some of his on-the-record quotes are undoubtedly disquieting, and not the least the airy statement to reporters: "It is almost certain that he will be in my starting line-up."

He also said that Javier Mascherano is more Argentinian than Messi or the former chief playmaker Juan Roman Riquelme, who ruled himself out of further contention by saying that it was impossible that he could work with the Maradona regime.

Another jibe was that sometimes Messi appeared to be "cold of heart".

We also have to add the complaint of Messi's father that his son has difficulties -- and not much direction -- working under the man who has shaped the limits of football ambition for generations of young Argentinians. On occasions Maradona's eyes have opened wide in outrage when the charges have been whispered in his presence.

"I hope he will be as good as me in Mexico. We have the best player in the world and we will give him lots of responsibility in the tournament," he stressed.

Lots of responsibility is perhaps an understatement of Messi's potential -- and the achievements that have already accrued at the age of 22.

Fanning scepticism about Messi's ultimate commitment to Argentina are, inevitably, the circumstances of his life and his career. He was born in Argentina but nurtured in Spain when Barcelona made an offer that was not forthcoming in his homeland.

Barca would pay the medical bills for the course of treatment that would rectify a hormone growth deficiency. It worked perfectly in that, at 5'7" and as compact as a welterweight, Messi is able to deliver the withering, close skills of, well, Maradona at his most devastating.

He has set no limit on his talent or his ambition, a fact underlined a year ago in Rome when he played with a brilliant bravura to help deliver Barcelona's Champions League triumph over Manchester United.

You saw the magic of Messi in Rome both on and off the field. When Barcelona arrived in their hotel on the Via Veneto, the famous boulevard erupted at the sight of the young, tousled superstar. Chairs were over-turned in the rush to be close.

Now Messi is plainly on the threshold of his defining achievement. It is necessary for Argentina, he says, and also himself.

legend

"I know that I have to take some necessary steps at this World Cup. I have to push myself forward to a new place. To become a legend, to become great, you also have to win the World Cup," he said.

He does not feed the weavers of conspiracy but then nor does he give an inch in the debate over the degree of his patriotism.

"I had the choice to play for Argentina or Spain so of course I chose Argentina. I love Spain and I love Barcelona but Argentina is my country and I hope everyone understands that I have always tried to give my best.

"I do not feel I have anything to prove. There are things to achieve yes, but not to prove. I'm feeling very comfortable in the team, I am relaxed and I am myself. When I look around our squad I know that player for player, no team compare with us."

That statement best explains why Argentina, despite an erratic qualifying campaign which included a historic 6-1 humiliation by Bolivia and widespread doubts that Maradona will steer clear of fresh calamities of judgment and behaviour, remain third favourites behind Spain and Brazil.

It is the most unequivocal tribute to the enduring facility of Argentina football to touch moments of fantasy and Messi is, of course, at the heart of the assessment.

A perspective on the dangers of putting Maradona in charge of such a natural force was once provided by his former team-mate Jorge Valdano, who said: "Maradona is someone many people want to emulate, a controversial figure, loved, hated, who still stirs great upheaval in Argentina.

"He has no peers inside the pitch but he has turned his life into a show and is living a personal ordeal that should never be imitated."

- James Lawton

Irish Independent
                                                                                                                        Opr

Comment

I'm on the radio again today, from 2 - 3 pm. This week I'll be playing two more songs from Four Tets album, there is love in you. Its really a fantastic album. Caribou and Kaito also both released albums recently, they are not in the same league as Four Tet, but both worth a listen. I'll be playing my favorite song from both albums, Sun & It happens suddenly respectively.

To fill in the gaps I'll have recent releases from Donnacha Costello & Ellen Alien, two recent Todd Terje remixes (From his excellent Remaster of the Universe Album) and some not so recent music from Rachel's, Serge Gainsbourg, Aphex twin and Massive Attack. Enjoy!

Listen here: http://kitchensync.listen2myradio.com/

Archived: http://soundcloud.com/hectorjelly

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X