X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

arggggghhhh just realised i'm gonna be on the aran islands on the weekend of kerry ukipt.. galway one was great fun

Comment

What annoys me about the Rafa discussion is how polarised it is. Both sides are wrong. Also people overestimate the importance of a manager. A good manager is in some ways a symptom of a good club, not the other way. A good back room staff, good board, good stadium, good players etc etc will make a manager look good. Just like in tournament poker a lot of discussion on football is borderline retarded because no-one realises how much luck is involved.

Comment

gwan the ROnnie

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY2F7E-_Bxg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY2F7E-_Bxg[/ame]

Comment

Stream for the u20s game

Keep an eye on the Irish 2,5,6,7,8,12 and 15 today.

I think this team will blood a lot of players who will be household names in a few years.

Also, its Ireland vs England, 700 years and all that.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
              What annoys me about the Rafa discussion is how polarised it is. Both sides are wrong. Also people overestimate the importance of a manager. A good manager is in some ways a symptom of a good club, not the other way. A good back room staff, good board, good stadium, good players etc etc will make a manager look good. Just like in tournament poker a lot of discussion on football is borderline retarded because no-one realises how much luck is involved.
              If you say that Lloyd is wrong, you know kayroo is going to come on and we don't want that now do we?

Comment

Originally posted by emmet02 View Post
                Stream for the u20s game

Keep an eye on the Irish 2,5,6,7,8,12 and 15 today.

I think this team will blood a lot of players who will be household names in a few years.

Also, its Ireland vs England, 700 years and all that.
                ya the irish backrow is a super unit ryans hits are monsterous hope to see someone in a jersey in white cut in two

Comment

Originally posted by emmet02 View Post
                  fo free.

UPC 105 and also on UPC/NTL terrestrial
                  This is on SS2 as well for those who have Sky but not Setanta like myself.

The book 'Why England Lose' by Simon Kuper and Stefan Szymanski touched on this. Basically they approached football using a more economic-analysis approach and their research showed that a manager makes very little difference to a team's performance when compared with other variables.

Where's the fun in that though? So much fun in football comes from the futile mindless debates, and nothing beats a good managerial one.

On that topic, I can't believe how many people are overlooking Liverpool's retardedness in dismissing Benitez and giving him 6m a week before he's hired by Inter. Inter are renowned for being reckless with money, and they had Benitez in their sights even before he was sacked. If Liverpool had waited, they could have received compensation, as opposed to having to pay it out.

Comment

I hate getting takin out early in the WW games. the one going on now looks like a lol

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                      I have to say I was a bit pissed off having to fork out 80 blips for RAGE.

BUT.

It was the fucking most amazing gig I have ever been to. The only other one that came close Rodrigo y Gabriella.
                      One of my bros was there last night and he has echoed your comments; he's been to epic gigs over the years (I've been to most with him) from AC/DC, Kiss, Iron Maiden, etc but claims that last night's gig was the very best he's been at.

I'm pissed I missed it - going to STP next Monday and Iron Maiden in July, defo going to get GNR tickets on Friday.

You'll laugh when I tell you this but one of the best rock gigs I was ever at was Billy Idol in the old Point, it was amazing and so so loud, I was deaf coming out of it!

BTW I am 99% certain that GNR only played the once in Slane, then in the RDS a few ago (a gang of us were there) - the Point is such a superior venue to the RDS, where the sound and atmosphere is relatively poor.

Comment

If you think managers make very little difference than what price would you have Argentina for this world cup? And what price would you have them at if they swapped Maradona for Mourinho? That's an extreme case in fairness, but I do actually agree with the gist of the argument and there's so many variables people don't take into account and so much results based thinking in any football discussion
                        "In the world, there are many kings but there is only one God. I am God, I am El Tren" :{)

Comment

The guns and roses gig was great. I'd never seen speaker stacks so big! If I remember correctly there was quite a bit of crowd trouble, I think the cops had to be dissuaded from baton charging the crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by Sledgejammer View Post
                            If you think managers make very little difference than what price would you have Argentina for this world cup? And what price would you have them at if they swapped Maradona for Mourinho? That's an extreme case in fairness, but I do actually agree with the gist of the argument and there's so many variables people don't take into account and so much results based thinking in any football discussion
                            I'm not saying they make no difference, just less than people commonly think. A really awful manager could easily scupper his teams chances of winning, just put your keeper up front and vice versa.

The Argentina example is interesting as I've actually backed Argentina because I think people over estimate how bad a manager he is, or really how much of a negative influence he will have. I know he is terrible!

Comment

The ironic thing is 99% of the people on thread didn't want Benetiz to be set free from Liverpool. We just wanted him to stay for completely different reasons. His 4th place guarantee and his interviews were very entertaining. I shall miss him anyway. I hope it works out for him at Inter although I have my doubts. We'll see in 12 months . I'd love to see him buy Torres , he'd destroy the Seria A. The reaction to that purchase would be amusing

Can you hear the LOLs Fernando?

Comment

I'm not saying they make no difference, just less than people commonly think. A really awful manager could easily scupper his teams chances of winning, just put your keeper up front and vice versa.

The Argentina example is interesting as I've actually backed Argentina because I think people over estimate how bad a manager he is, or really how much of a negative influence he will have. I know he is terrible!
                                Yeah I pretty much agree, their influence is overstated and often are credited for things and damned for things that weren't entirely under their control (Or things that could easily have happened under any other manager), but there's definitely a big difference between a good and bad manager, though it is probably over stated and over simplified.

As for Argentina this world cup, I've no idea what to expect. I'm half Argentine so I'll be following them anyway but I think it'll be fascinating to see what they produce and will be entertaining either way at the very least...I also wouldn't be shocked to see them actually play way above peopels expectations, people read too much into qualifiers in South America. Teams who pick the majority of their talent from Europe give up a huge edge and often struggle physically with long trips taking their tolls, look at Brazil in '02. Struggled to qualify and Rivaldo threatened to retire because he was being booed by his own fans for his poor form during the qualifiers, and we all know what happened at the world cup. There's a huge huge difference between any Brazil/Argentina side in qualification and in tournaments proper.
                                "In the world, there are many kings but there is only one God. I am God, I am El Tren" :{)

Comment

Originally posted by Hooch View Post
                                  Havent seen it posted yet but i see Nick “Salamander” Heather has final tabled at the wsop event 13, fourth in chips with nine left.
                                  Over in the WSOP discussion thread

Comment

As for Argentina this world cup, I've no idea what to expect. I'm half Argentine so I'll be following them anyway but I think it'll be fascinating to see what they produce and will be entertaining either way at the very least....
                                    I had no idea you were half Argrie! Yeah Ill be rooting for them too.

Comment

Not looking great for Ireland, but that Zebo lad seems a bit of a beast.

Comment

It's like what Malcolm Gladwell talks about when talking about intelligence and success in "The Outliers", once the manager is at a certain level, other variables take over and are more important. As HJ says a bad manager can fuck up a team, but once a manager is over a certain level their impact is probably nowhere near as important people think.
                                        Last edited by Ste05; 09-06-10, 17:52.

Comment

That looked so easy. We're overthinking the game so far I think. Plenty to play for in second half.

England's OH is class.

Comment

I obviously agree with a chunk of this. It is important to note though that one of the stronger aspects of Benitez's tenure was a complete revamp of the youth structures and scouting networks, and he had assembled a really strong backroom staff.

On the same token, as much as our owners suck in many respects, they have overseen a giant leap forward in the club's revenue intake. The club was horrendously run under Moores, and his ineptitude was a big part of why the club didn't deal with the 1990 - 2000 transition in modern professional football.
                                            "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by digiman View Post
                                              Pokerstars support is just the best support of any product anywhere imo. The email responses are just so quick and well thought out replies. They clearly train their staff well on all aspects. In one way their staff seem too good for customer support roles and should be doing something else!
                                              Please no, we should just stop thinking that because of the general lolbad standard of customer service, that the roles are suitable only to monkeys.
                                              We need more good people in customer service and for it to become a respected profession.

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                              I know some of you are fans of Freakonomics / Superfreakonomics, Stephen Dubner
                                              is giving a seminar in the Royal College of Surgeons on Friday the 25th of the month, price €40:
                                              http://www.seminars.ie/inspirational...p?event_id=180
                                              Would like to go to this, but at 40 blips, it doesn't sound worth it.
                                              X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                              Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by max_power View Post
                                                Not looking great for Ireland, but that Zebo lad seems a bit of a beast.
                                                Didnt get a punt on but if we cut the mistakes and feed the backs the ball we can win.

Comment

Originally posted by SICKPUPPY View Post
                                                  Didnt get a punt on but if we cut the mistakes and feed the backs the ball we can win.
                                                  Securing posession is key and quick ball to the 3/4 line, need the back row to be more abrasive.

Comment

Originally posted by Ste05 View Post
                                                    It's like what Malcolm Gladwell talks about when talking about intelligence and success in "The Outliers", once the manager is at a certain level, other variables take over and are more important. As HJ says a bad manager can fuck up a team, but once a manager is over a certain level their impact is probably nowhere near as important people think.
                                                    This is where Maradona is an exception, as he was employed solely as a result of his exploits on the pitch and because he is a national hero. However most managers will have a bit of experience, and with the new rules about coaching badges being enforced, managers should be at that level where the differences become less pronounced.

Comment

Originally posted by bubbleking View Post
                                                      Thanks for that.

Do you mean Calcium tablets?
                                                      No, CLA, I should have said that they are caps rather than tabs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conjugated_linoleic_acid

Apparently they have body fat burning properties but people have different opinions as to what extent they are useful. I was just wondering if you have heard anything about them.

Cheers

Comment

This is one of the reasons most Liverpool fans are gutted to see Rafa leave. He fought touth and nail with the board to keep players and get money to buy players. He's management live was made very difficult by them and now he's gone I doubt the likes of RH, MON or Jurgen(especially this clown) will have the balls to stand up to them. We could easily see the likes of Torres, Masch and Gerrard sold for the money. You can be sure Rafa would not have just bent over and taken this while there is good chance the new manager will. Also, the manager brings in his backroom staff and the players.

International management is a different beast. Because you are with your manager for such a short time you will find it harder to pick up bad habits/learn poor tactical advice. Although the fact they made qualifying far tougher then it should be is a worry. So is the state of the squad he picked.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                                          has boyles/i-poker changed their sounds in the last few days?

might have clicked a button for it and not know I did but all sounds are definitely different
                                                          There was a new release today and they have changed a few things around.

Comment

Comment

Werewolf Se7en sign up is the Community forum. It's a little different from other versions and will kick off once the current games is up

Comment

just back from dunnes ,i bought 24 bottles of corona for 15e,sounds like a great deal.
                                                                NO i get back home and open the case they are 210ml bottles ,they are the size of a bic biro,one mouthful job.

Comment

Originally posted by peteypop View Post
                                                                  just back from dunnes ,i bought 24 bottles of corona for 15e,sounds like a great deal.
                                                                  NO i get back home and open the case they are 210ml bottles ,they are the size of a bic biro,one mouthful job.
                                                                  Did the case not seem a little flat?

This seems to be the new thing with cases of beer sold in supermarkets, i've noticed some odd sized bottles sold in cases in recent weeks in my local Tescos, like 284ml bottles(can't remember which brand), like how do you come up with a figure that on the face of it seems absolutely random?
                                                                  We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act, but a habit.

Comment

Originally posted by dannydiamond View Post

This seems to be the new thing with cases of beer sold in supermarkets, i've noticed some odd sized bottles sold in cases in recent weeks in my local Tescos, like 284ml bottles(can't remember which brand), like how do you come up with a figure that on the face of it seems absolutely random?
                                                                    284ml is half a pint (uk)
                                                                    May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Its half a pint

EDIT: Obv dont drink as much as bp_me

Comment

lol

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by Ciaran_Corbett View Post
                                                                          Its half a pint

EDIT: Obv dont drink as much as bp_me
                                                                          Except that I don't drink at all....

Comment

the case is the normal size ,u open it up and there is a 6 inch gap between the cardboard lid and the bottles.I think ill drop them over to the midget who lives across the road as they will look like normal bottles if he is drinking them.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                              lol

Opr

I bought a carton of these the last week, they're actually not that bad as you fly through them
                                                                              sigpic

Comment

Its cause they're "Coronita"s.

They're for wimmens.

Comment

LOLiPokeraments

Comment

Ahh, didn't twig that at all, I was at the meat counter in Superquinn the other day ordering a pound of sausages, got chatting to the guy and he was saying that he very rarely gets asked for anything in kilo or gram measurements, and when he does they're invariably under 20 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by bp_me View Post
                                                                                      LOLiPokeraments

U lost a 60/40!!!!! Wow,i wouldnt sleep for days

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
                                                                                          Ah, had those when I was living down in Mexico. It's purely because it's so hot down there that a full beer will be roasting by the time you get to the end of it.
                                                                                          i see
                                                                                          so drink smaller amts more often

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Originally posted by eight-ball View Post
                                                                                            i see
                                                                                            so drink smaller amts more often
                                                                                            ...or just quicker.

Comment

Big trouble here, was driving around in a family car that is very rarely used. I used to be insured on the car but it ran out around 3 months ago. The tax on the car ran out around 6 months ago. Got pulled over and the guards seized the car. I've been ordered to pay 125euro tomorrow for the car's towing and have 10 days to produce insurance. All I could say to them was that the car hasn't been used in months and I naively thought it was still insured/taxed. What repercussions am I looking at here? Also, would there be any point purchasing insurance tomorrow or am I absolutely f**ked?

Comment

Anyone have the link for watching British tv channels online that was posted here recently.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by FeetMagic View Post
                                                                                                    What repercussions am I looking at here? Also, would there be any point purchasing insurance tomorrow or am I absolutely f**ked?
                                                                                                    Court appearance.

5 points.

Endorsement.

And difficulty getting insurance for a very long time.

Comment

Originally posted by The C Kid View Post
                                                                                                      Anyone have the link for watching British tv channels online that was posted here recently.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Big trouble here, was driving around in a family car that is very rarely used. I used to be insured on the car but it ran out around 3 months ago. The tax on the car ran out around 6 months ago. Got pulled over and the guards seized the car. I've been ordered to pay 125euro tomorrow for the car's towing and have 10 days to produce insurance. All I could say to them was that the car hasn't been used in months and I naively thought it was still insured/taxed. What repercussions am I looking at here? Also, would there be any point purchasing insurance tomorrow or am I absolutely f**ked?
                                                                                                        absolutely fucked imo

most likely(deffo) court a couple of fines and probably a few points as well.

no point in getting insurance now as it state on the insurance certificate that the insurance only started on whatever day it was purchased.

just explain that it was an oversight on your behalf and that you had not realised that the insurance had lapsed

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

You're not in as much trouble as you think, although you'll def have your day in court. I'll get back to you later when I have more time but don't be worrying too much, you're not going to be locked up or anything.

You'll be getting a couple of points and a fine for sure, but nothing to panic about.

Comment

...

Comment

I think when I go in tomorrow I'll tell them straight away there is no insurance and get the court date. I'll play as innocent as I can. Is there a good chance the car will be crushed?

Comment

Not sure of the general consensus about personal content on a public forum, so I'll spoiler this to be on the safe side. Suffice to say, I'm one very happy bunny at the minute.

SPOILER
                                                                                                                Home from a long afternoon appointment with the cancer doc in Drogheda and he's given me as close to an all clear as he's willing to commit to.
                                                                                                                The two nodules are still in the left lung but they haven't grown in the last three months and, as he says, lung cancer is not static so we would know by now.

They may still be an indicator to a slower moving cancer elsewhere so he won't take me off the high risk BUT he is confident about canceling the lobectomy (partial lung removal) AND he doesn't want to see me for another nine months!! Plus if all goes well then, it'll be two years before he wants to see me again. No more CT scans every four weeks and no more sleepless nights worrying.

Been labouring under this for the best part of 10 months so I'm giddy with excitement.
                                                                                                                Even seeing it now in print is making me want to yeehaw again.

Relief beyond belief, there aren't enough smilies in the world folks

Today was a good day.

.

Comment

War Hero in Big Brother. Got to have a huge chance surely.

Comment

I think when I go in tomorrow I'll tell them straight away there is no insurance and get the court date. I'll play as innocent as I can. Is there a good chance the car will be crushed?
                                                                                                                    Not at all, go back and pay the fee, you'll need someone to transfer their insurance for the day and have a copy of the insurance details before they'll let you take it though i'd imagine.They obviously won't letyou drive it away!
                                                                                                                    You might have to get the car taxed aswell.

Where did you get stopped and what did you tell the guards regarding the tax and insurance situation when you were stopped?

You prob won't see a summons for months btw but def talk to a solicitor in the interim.

I've known loads of lads that have found themselves in similar situations over the years btw, it's fairly standard as long as you don't mess about with the guards or the judge.

Comment

Originally posted by peteypop View Post
                                                                                                                      Lol, I did the exact same thing at the weekend, it still is a good deal though as 24 of the 210ml bottles is the same quantity as 15 of the 330ml bottles, you just have to go to and from the fridge a bit more often!

Did the WC draw in work today, I got Slovakia and Algeria

Comment

@FeetMagic..

Just a thought...

Are you fully comp on your own car? If so check the t&cs of the third party extension for your own policy.

Comment

Great new Bless you. Like the smilies, clicking the thanks button just doesn't seem close to good enough.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X