X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tomorrow's NikeGolf Tiger commercial.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NTRvlrP2NU[/ame]

And my favourite one, given the eve that's in it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTuk5Uloyjg[/ame]
    Last edited by The C Kid; 08-04-10, 00:49.

Comment

continuously getting raped up the bullet hole by mongos!

Comment

Great movie mistakes starting on BBC3 now....watched a bit early and its pretty goodd

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
          These exams are killing me tbh...
          Yeah yeah thats what it is
          "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by eagle eye View Post
            Just before I go off watching a movie, I am back using mozilla again and its not crashing. I found this little gem which helps speed up your computer. I have an old laptop which I test any new software on before I put on this one I'm using now.

Anyways low and behold my old xp laptop is now flying, its never worked as fast since I bought it. This program is a memory optimiser but it also clears the file cache which builds up and slows down your machine.

Its called cleanmem and this is where to download it, you won't even notice it running, you will notice a faster laptop/pc though. http://www.pcwintech.com/cleanmem

I'm now thinking that there is a cache problem with mozilla and this sorts it.

I'm not even sure that is running...

I installed it, it didn't open up any sort of interface once installed, it mentioned creating a shortcut but doesn't seem to have done so. There is no icon running for it.
            Opened the folder where it is installed and tried opening the 'Cleanmem' file, though nothing happens.

Does this sound normal?

And with all that said, it does seem that the latop is running better, though maybe it's the emperors new clothes.
            Last edited by Lord Sir Banter; 08-04-10, 01:02.
            X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
            Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

it's an automatic thing, runs every 30mins as a task

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0yzwQeyVmU&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Comment

From Fullflush blog on the hand lol

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzuB5zGxFFU

There were a number of hands in which I sick owned people. One was the 6-4 against Timoshenko, who's a really good player who made some great laydowns and was pretty unlucky on the whole. On this one hand, though, Vanessa limped and Timoshenko isolated to 16,000. I knew he could do this with a lot here as he can isolate a limp in position with a very wide range, so I repopped it to 36,000. Vanessa mucked and he thought for ages before making it 86,000. I knew that he knew that I knew he could be raising light with his isolation, so I just shoved pretty quickly for like 160,000 more thinking that although he's not going to have any two, he has a lot of non-premium hands that have to fold. When he didn't snap, I knew I was a genius and he eventually folded his K-J. This is probably the second biggest ever own on TV after the Ivey-Jackson hand but there wasn’t that much he could do once I made the final move.
                Last edited by Maloney; 08-04-10, 01:18.
                ''Oh my god, I'm dropping shit like a pigeon
                I hope you're listening, smacking babies at their christening''

Comment

He is some bellend.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                    These exams are killing me tbh...
                    I didn't notice it was that time of the year already, cue "I definitaly failed that one"

Also
                    Ugh, just missed out on a main event ticket. Lost a chiplead sized pot, doubled up and stole blinds for stay in it.
                    Pushed 8bbs from the CO with A5, bb wakes up with AK, flop pairs for a sweat, but no good*

Comment

Have to mention this weeks Lost again, at last its starting to take shape. It was epic, my fav episode of the season so far.

Also Tiger 5/4 to finish outside the top 10 looks a sick bet, as much as i dont want to be hoping he plays badly i cant turn that value down.
                      Originally posted by ArmaniJeans
                      I like this heat - some proper music innit.
                      None of the 'black disabled lesbian warbling backwards' stuff that the other players inflicted on me.

Comment

Could people stop putting IMO at the end of each sentence, its almost always totally redundant.

PS ANYONE WHO REPLIES TO THIS USING IMO IRONICALLY HAS A TINY PENIS

Comment

Brag: Off to Belgium for 3 nights of coke and hookers* with the lads in an hour.

Beat: Due to the local donkament overrunning,I won't get any kip before the 100 mile drive to the airport.

Variance: Chopped the tourney.

*kidding about the hookers,LDO.
                          Official Head Marshall of Waterford Gay Pride Festival 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                            Could people stop putting IMO at the end of each sentence, its almost always totally redundant.
                            LOL,was going to write "in before spate of LDOs" but changed my mind for fear of being lumped into the tiny penis category.
                            Last edited by Icarus152; 08-04-10, 01:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Icarus152 View Post
                              Brag: Off to Belgium for 3 nights of coke and hookers* with the lads in an hour.

Beat: Due to the local donkament overrunning,I won't get any kip before the 100 mile drive to the airport.

Variance: Chopped the tourney.

*kidding about the hookers,LDO.
                              Enjoy the fuck out of it, watch the hangovers...i had an epic 4 day hangover after a stag in marbella last month.
                              This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by a-k-47 View Post
                                continuously getting raped up the bullet hole by mongos!
                                Priceless.

For everything else there's Mastercard.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                  Enjoy the fuck out of it, watch the hangovers...i had an epic 4 day hangover after a stag in marbella last month.
                                  Thanks,should be good craic.The Belgian beer is pretty goot alright.

Comment

Originally posted by Icarus152 View Post
                                    Thanks,should be good craic.The Belgian beer is pretty goot alright.
                                    the hookers in belgium are better.

Comment

It's all an illusion

Comment

I wouldn't mind 20% of €600,000

Comment

After been forced to watch Twlight: New moon twice!! I'd thought i'd post this a short text of the movie which plays out how u would be thinking while watching it

By the way very long and unless you seen the film not that funny.

SPOILER
                                          KRISTEN STEWART is celebrating her BIRTHDAY with ROBERT PATTINSON'S FAMILY.

KRISTEN STEWART

Thanks for this incredibly creepy party everyone, but I'm really not in the mood to celebrate. Every year I spend in these movies makes it that much more difficult for me to get any other acting role.

ROBERT PATTINSON

But you're the founder of the "dull angst" method of acting! Stare blankly when sad, bite lip when happy!

KRISTEN STEWART

(stares blankly)

ASHLEY GREENE

Hey Kristen! Open my gift first! It's a bag of ecstasy, now you can be just as obnoxiously bubbly and wired as me!

KRISTEN opens the gift and cuts herself on the wrapping.

KRISTEN STEWART

Ouch. Zoom in cameraman, I got a papercut.

ROBERT PATTINSON

On wrapping paper? How is that even possible?

Suddenly, JACKSON RATHBONE pretends he's a SNAKE and makes SUPER COOL SNAKE NOISES. He lunges at KRISTEN.

ROBERT PATTINSON

Don't worry Kristen, I will protect you by hurling you against a wall and into a glass table!

KRISTEN STEWART

My hero!

(bleeds profusely)

JACKSON is sent to his room.

ROBERT PATTINSON

Kristen, my family is dangerous. I mean, a single drop of blood whipped them into a hilarious frenzy.

KRISTEN STEWART

I noticed. So do I just avoid coming over for a week every month or something?

ROBERT PATTINSON

What I'm trying to say is, I think we should break up. Please don't do anything stupid. And yes, Taylor Lautner counts as a stupid thing.

KRISTEN STEWART

No! I've been dumped by my high school boyfriend! The only natural reaction is to have violent night terrors, and detach from my friends completely!

INT. SCHOOL

After a while, KRISTEN STEWART starts talking to her friends again.

MICHAEL WELCH

I heard you sat and stared out your window for three solid months. That seems like a pretty clear sign of a mental imbalance, which I'm apparently attracted to. Want to go see a movie?

KRISTEN STEWART

Sure, lets go see Face-Punch. Apparently the trailer tag line is "Pow pow, punch faces."

MICHAEL WELCH

I know it's a joke movie, but that actually sounds a hell of a lot better than this steaming pile.

MICHAEL and KRISTEN go see a movie, but she invites TAYLOR LAUTNER as well.

TAYLOR LAUTNER

Hey Kristen. I got super ripped since the last movie. By the way I'm totally not a werewolf.

KRISTEN STEWART

You should make fun of the poor schmuck who invited me to this movie since he's not as ripped as you.

MICHAEL WELCH

You know what? I don't need this shit! I may not be Robert Pattinson, but I've still been in the Twilight movies! Michael Fucking Welch pulls trim, okay?

TAYLOR LAUTNER

Pattinson is never coming back, Kristen. You should get over him and go out with me.

KRISTEN STEWART

I dunno, I was really looking forward to another three-month spinning camera shot. Wanted to know what I'd see outside my window for "March". Not sure if I'm ready to date someone else.

TAYLOR LAUTNER

(points to abs)

KRISTEN STEWART

Good point. Would you be okay with me stringing you along and using you to fix some motorcycles I found so that I can get an adrenaline rush that reminds me of Robert Pattinson?

TAYLOR LAUTNER

Hmm. Maybe if I show you how loyal I am and offer you an endless supply of support without any kind of pressure you'll eventually come to rely on me and that reliance will slowly morph into romantic feelings!

KRISTEN STEWART

Maybe! That's worked for lots of guys, just ask any forum on the internet!

TAYLOR LAUTNER

Great. I will never, ever leave you.

(pause)

By the way, I am a werewolf after all. I can never see you again.

KRISTEN STEWART

Wow, so this movie series is going to ruin werewolves too?

TAYLOR LAUTNER

Yep. Werewolves are telepathic and like cliffdiving.

KRISTEN STEWART

I'm going to be really disappointed if the next movie doesn't have rapping Frankenstein monsters or chess-playing mummies or something.

KRISTEN hangs around the WEREWOLF FAMILY. No WEREWOLF SOCCER is forced upon the AUDIENCE.

KRISTEN STEWART

Is there any particular reason you guys never wear shirts? I mean besides generating revenue for panty manufacturers?

TAYLOR LAUTNER

We shred them when we turn into extremely poorly animated wolves.

KRISTEN STEWART

Oh. Then is there any particular reason you guys still wear pants?

TAYLOR LAUTNER

You ever see a dog's penis?

KRISTEN continues cockteasing TAYLOR and eventually the phone in her house rings. TAYLOR answers it.

TAYLOR LAUTNER

Hello? Do I have Prince Albert in a can? That joke doesn't even make sense anymore, how old are you? Asshole.

(hangs up)

KRISTEN STEWART

Why the hell are you answering other people's phones? Seriously, who does that?

Suddenly, ASHLEY GREENE bursts in the door.

ASHLEY GREENE

Kristen! That was Robert Pattinson who called, and since you were unable to answer the phone he naturally assumed you were dead! Now he's going to kill himself!

KRISTEN STEWART

Wow, what a complete rip-off of Romeo and Juliet!

ASHLEY GREENE

It is, but since earlier the movie acknowledged that play exists, it makes it an homage! Hey, it smells like wet dog in here.

TAYLOR LAUTNER

What the fuck, are all vampires raging dickholes?

ASHLEY GREENE

Kristen, Robert is going to walk naked into the sunlight in Volterra, Italy. If he does this, the Volturi will have to kill him!

KRISTEN STEWART

Because then the city would know that vampires are still around?

ASHLEY GREENE

No, because then they'll see him all glittery and know just how lame vampires are in Stephanie Meyer's universe. We have to stop him!

KRISTEN STEWART

This movie isn't going to try and pretend it's an action flick in the last 10 minutes like the last movie, is it?

It IS. KRISTEN and ASHLEY take a continental flight to ITALY to try and stop ROBERT.

EXT. TOWN SQUARE - VOLTERRA, ITALY

KRISTEN and ASHLEY arrive just as ROBERT takes his shirt off to step into the sunlight.

KRISTEN STEWART

Robert, no! Holy crap, is that what you look like without a shirt on? Aren't you supposed to be some kind of sex symbol? You look like a white Urkel.

ROBERT PATTINSON

Kristen, you're alive! I love you more than anything could love a loved thing! Please ignore the fact that I'm still glowering at you as I say this.

KRISTEN STEWART

Of course! Hear that, girls in the audience? When the boy you love dumps you, it means he loves you more than ever! Don't give up!

ROBERT PATTINSON

And if he thinks you are going to die, it will force him to express that love!

ROBERT, KRISTEN, and ASHLEY are apprehended by MICHAEL SHEEN, who is the KING VAMPIRE OR SOME BULLSHIT.

MICHAEL SHEEN

I'm going to kill you now, Robert. My wife loves these movies for some damn reason and if I have to sit through "Breaking Dawn" so help me ...

KRISTEN STEWART

Don't kill him! Kill me instead!

MICHAEL SHEEN

I think it was assumed that we'll be eating you after we kill him, but whatever. Let's use our super cool vampire powers to look into your future.

They look into the future and see KRISTEN and ROBERT prancing through a meadow in slow motion. The BOYFRIENDS in the AUDIENCE ruin their chances of getting laid by laughing uproariously.

MICHAEL SHEEN

Well that was fucking embarassing. Go on, get out of here. And please send in the huge group of American tourists whose disappearance somewhere in Italy surely won't garner the attention of every major news network.

KRISTEN, ROBERT, and ASHLEY go back to WASHINGTON.

EXT. WOODS

KRISTEN and ROBERT are walking through the woods when they encounter TAYLOR LAUTNER.

TAYLOR LAUTNER

You're back with the vampire? I thought you were falling in love with me!

KRISTEN STEWART

Guys, think about this a minute. Isn't the fact that I'm only attracted to dangerous monsters an indicator that I'm not actually attracted to who either of you are, but what you are? Clearly I just have some kind of serious mental issue.

TAYLOR LAUTNER

Yeah well, stay away from her Robert. Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

ROBERT PATTINSON

Right, because you turn into a cartoon dog.

KRISTEN STEWART

This is the classic "person likes popular kid but is loved by best friend" storyline used in virtually every high school movie ever made, huh?

TAYLOR LAUTNER

Yeah, except unlike every other movie that has used this cliche, you actually wind up with the popular kid and I stay a chump forever.

TAYLOR leaves.

KRISTEN STEWART

I asked your family to vote on if I'd be turned into a vampire and they voted yes. A vampire society is nothing if not a group that respects democracy.

ROBERT PATTINSON

Fine. I'll convert you after two more books on one condition: you marry me.

KRISTEN STEWART

Er, did a 109-year-old just ask a teenage girl to make a lifetime commitment? Classy.

GIRLS IN AUDIENCE

(swooning)

No wonder boys hate Twilight! Nobody can be as perfect as Edward!

BOYS IN AUDIENCE

Are you kidding? We love Twilight! It teaches the next generation of women that, the worse their men treat them, the more in love they should be.

GIRLS IN AUDIENCE

You're right! Want to buy me another movie ticket?

BOYS IN AUDIENCE

Buy your own goddamn ticket you stupid cunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Rigger View Post
                                            I'm not even sure that is running...

I installed it, it didn't open up any sort of interface once installed, it mentioned creating a shortcut but doesn't seem to have done so. There is no icon running for it.
                                            Opened the folder where it is installed and tried opening the 'Cleanmem' file, though nothing happens.

Does this sound normal?

And with all that said, it does seem that the latop is running better, though maybe it's the emperors new clothes.
                                            Nope its not the emperor's new software, its actually working. As I said you won't even notice it.
                                            'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

So I just finished watched The Legend of the Bagger Vance. Fantastic movie, almost as refreshing as a round of golf in summer weather. Absolutely love it and its automatically a top 10 all time movie for me.

Thank you a million times Lloyd for that post earlier.

I had one very minor issue with it but thats because I am a golfer and its about the teeing order on the 18th but hey its a movie so they have license to do what they want.
                                              'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

Originally posted by Rigger View Post
                                                I wouldn't mind 20% of €600,000
                                                How would you feel about handing over 80% of it though?

Comment

6hrs of play to bubble the ft for buttons, wont have a bullet hole left at this rate.

Comment

Suicidal thanking by Willie when KevIRL the WW said take it down wolves??

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                      Are you in the next one? If so I want you on my team whether that be villagers or WWs. Very good spot.

Comment

Are you in the next one? If so I want you on my team whether that be villagers or WWs. Very good spot.
                                                        I sure am. Looking forward to it. Years since I did this sort of thing!

Comment

Yeah I know before I start, long football post but its stats and its interesting imo and apologies to the soccer haters. This site is really good for those who like stats and intelligent reporting/discussion of the game. Anyways here is the reporting of the two Barca/Arsenal games and as mentioned the other night by Sledgehammer I think it was the importance of Xavi shines through in some of these posts and graphs.

A crazy game of football to watch, a difficult one to analyse. Two open, attacking sides produced a wonderful game for the neutral, but one that will probably leave both managers absolutely fuming – Wenger because his side were awful and conceded poor goals, Guardiola because his side threw away a 0-2 lead.

Wenger went with his standard line-up, but with Arshavin deployed on the right, Nasri on the left – presumably because Nasri is slightly better defensively and therefore better against the Alves-Messi combination down Barcelona’s right.

Barcelona played Keita ahead of the more defensive option of Yaya Toure, meaning they had the flexibility to switch to the 4-2-4ish shape they’ve played in recent matches. Indeed, the shape they played was probably a mixture between that and their more established 4-3-3. Ibrahimovic was the centre-forward, Messi just off him, Pedro certainly wide-right – but then Keita seemed to shuttle between a central midfield position and a left-wing position, similar to how Ramires plays for Brazil. Keita played a more defensive role than Iniesta did against Stuttgart (a) as he is a naturally more defensive player and (b) Stuttgart fielded two central midfielders, so it was 2 v 2 in the middle, whereas Arsenal play with three, meaning Keita had to make sure Barcelona were not outnumbered in the middle.

Have you ever seen a side start a big game as well as Barcelona started tonight’s match? Within the first quarter of an hour they had already forced Manuel Almunia into five saves, and had a couple more shots blocked. How Arsenal went in 0-0 at half-time, it’s difficult to understand.

The most astonishing thing about the opening exchanges was quite how intense Barcelona’s integrated pressing was. The fact they played with a system that effectively featured four forwards meant that Arsenal’s defenders were all faced with a yellow shirt pressing them immediately, and the key was that Barcelona pressed as a unit, rather than as individuals. They may be renowned for their skilful attacking play, but Barcelona defend from the front better than any other side in Europe.

The often-cited problem with pressing like this is that you can’t sustain it for a whole game, and perhaps this was apparent again, for Barcelona blatantly fell away towards the end of the game. But they were certainly able to keep it up for the first half – simply because the pressing itself was so effective and won the ball so many times. They had 70% of possession in the first half, and therefore they spent much of the half passing the ball around casually rather than pressing.

Arsenal were guilty of leaving too big a gap between their ‘lines’ (Qique Sanchez Flores, whose Atletico team beat Barcelona two months ago, advised that ‘making it hard for Barcelona to find players between the lines’ was the way to beat them) – they should have been squeezing the play in front of their defence, but a lot of the time when they didn’t have the ball, Arsenal’s midfield was closer to the forwards than to the defence. They simply gave too much space to Barcelona in the opening period.

Another stark contrast was whilst Barcelona were defending with effectively nine and half outfield players (Ibrahimovic isn’t a great presser), Arsenal were defending with more like seven. Bendtner wandered around aimlessly when the ball wasn’t near him, Arshavin never looks bothered about protecting his full-back – and Nasri and Fabregas contributed a ‘half’ each – both putting in a couple of decent tackles but simply not pressing as intently at their opposite numbers were.

The problem with switching between a 4-3-3 and a 4-2-3-1 is that the roles of the wide players changes only slightly in terms of position, but hugely in terms of actual role. In a 4-3-3 the wide players are essentially forwards – their main job is to pressure the full-backs and track them if necessary. For those players in a 4-2-3-1, there is one fewer player behind them, and therefore significantly more defensive work from them is needed. They are a second line of midfield rather than a line of forwards. Nasri has the desire but not the defensive ability – as for Arshavin, the fact he was fielded on the right surely points to the fact that even Arsene Wenger doesn’t think he’s up to it defensively.

In a sense, Arshavin going off injured was the best thing that could have happened for Arsenal. He was replaced by the energetic Eboue – and whilst the Ivorian didn’t have a great game, he did provide the running, the determination and the work rate that Arsenal desperately needed when they were being thrashed in the first half.

As mentioned earlier, Arsenal’s main problem was that they left too big a gap infront of their defence – Jens Lehmann said at half-time that their defence needed to push up in the second half. And that’s essentially what they did. Sadly, this left them open to the threat of Barceona playing balls over the top, and sure enough Ibrahimovic scored twice in almost identical circumstances – a long ball chipped into Arsenal’s left-hand channel, and Ibrahimovic finished twice.
                                                          Did the Arsenal plan of pushing their defence forward fail? On one hand, of course it did – they conceded two goals by doing it. But bizarrely, it was probably still the right move – those were amongst the only opportunities Barcelona had in the second half. Ibrahimovic’s excellent finishing was the reason Barcelona scored in the second half – the chances weren’t any more blatant than the countless ones they missed in the first half. The goals also came as a result of individual errors by Almunia and Vermaelen – whereas the chances in the first half came because Arsenal were all over the place as a team. (Incidentally, both the goals also game as a result of a lack of pressure from Arsenal on the player in possession – for the second, in particular, they simply allow Xavi all the time in the world to pick out a pass).

But pushing the defence up also squeezed Barcelona in the final third and broke up their attacks more easily, meaning Arsenal saw more of the ball themselves. OK, the first half was a draw and the second half was too – but in terms of dominance, Arsenal were ten times better off in the second period.

Wenger’s decision to send for Theo Walcott was a brave – and inspired – move. Despite how it may have looked, Maxwell is not a slow player – just Walcott is supremely quick. He constantly got in behind the Brazilian both with and without the ball, and he lifted both the crowd and his fellow Arsenal players. There will be inevitable calls for Wenger to play him from the start against Barcelona, but it might well be that this is the best role for him – coming out later on in games. Assuming a vaguely similar pattern of play in the second leg, Arsenal will need to weather the storm early on (perhaps meaning Sagna and Eboue on the right) before unleashing Walcott once Barcelona’s (makeshift) defence tire.

Credit to Wenger for rescuing the situation, but on another day Barcelona would have won the tie by half-time. Arsenal need to learn their lessons from this game if they are to progress: they need to defend from the front as a unit, they need to hold a higher defensive line, and they must field one more defensive-minded player. If they play like they did today at the Nou Camp, they will suffer the demolition job they were fortunate to avoid tonight.

We were told constantly before the game that Arsenal against Barcelona was a clash of two sides who play football ‘the right way’ – short, quick passes from excellent technical players comfortable in possession. And that proved to be correct, although this graph shows a stark contrast between the sides.

Xavi’s dominance on the field of play transfers to an incredible dominance on this graph, with Sergio Busquets not far behind. The fact that Barcelona have the top 8 players in this graph rather sums up the way the game went.

It is interesting that Seydou Keita completed so few passes despite remaining on the pitch for the whole game, and it is also telling that Denilson completed the most passes of any Arsenal player, despite being on the pitch for only 46 minutes. This is in line with his good recent form, including his incredible 100% passing display against West Ham.

If there was any remaining doubt that Lionel Messi is the greatest football player of his generation, they were erased tonight, as Barcelona got the better of Arsenal in the much-hyped battle of the teams playing football ‘the right way’. Arsenal didn’t lose this match tactically, but they didn’t help themselves.
                                                          Barcelona went in as expected – keeping the alliteration at centre-half by choosing Milito and Marquez to replace the suspended Pique and Puyol. At left-back, Eric Abidal was back to replace Maxwell, who had a tough final 20 minutes at the Emirates against Theo Walcott. Upfront, Bojan replaced the injured Ibrahimovic, after his two goals at the weekend. Andres Iniesta was fit only for the bench, and so Barcelona again played their ‘alternative’ shape, with Messi deployed in a central role.

Arsene Wenger went on the offensive – selecting Theo Walcott from the start, and keeping Emmanuel Eboue on the bench. Mikael Silvestre started ahead of Sol Campbell, most likely purely because Barcelona’s threat comes from pace and movement, and therefore this probably wasn’t the right occasion for Campbell. Abou Diaby was pushed up alongside Samir Nasri, leaving Denilson on his own in a relatively adventurous 4-1-4-1 shape.

The game started off at a much slower pace than the first leg. Barcelona didn’t press as high up the pitch (perhaps wary of how much they tired in the first game) allowing the Arsenal defenders a fair amount of time on the ball. Barcelona twice went close from long-range Lionel Messi shots, and that served as a warning for what was to come later.

Arsenal took the lead through the player Barcelona feared most – Theo Walcott. His pace might be his only attribute, but it is very, very dangerous, and he sprung the Barcelona offside trap, taking advantage of their usual extraordinarily high defensive line, and squared for Nicklas Bendtner to score.

Then it was the Messi show. His first-half hattrick was superb because each of the goals were so different – a long-range belter, a poacher’s finish from close range, and then a sublime chip after outpacing the Arsenal defence over the top. It’s a cliche, but put Messi on the other side and the result might have been the reverse – the Milito-Marquez partnership was no more stable or unified than the Silvestre-Vermaelen one.

It’s tough to criticize Arsene Wenger’s tactics for this game. It’s probably fair to say that he was without his five most important players in a game he needed to score in – his best striker in Robin van Persie, his two most creative players in Cesc Fabregas and Andrei Arshavin, and his two most reliable defensive players in William Gallas and Alex Song. To get a result in the Nou Camp is tough at the best of times, but without those five it was a monumental task.

His selection of players was slightly surprising – against the pace and movement of Barcelona in the final third, Emmanuel Eboue would have been a useful player to have in the side, perhaps on the left against Barcelona’s greater threat from that flank. Tomas Rosicky is an excellent technical footballer and does his share of work defensively, but he simply doesn’t have the discipline and positional sense needed to play in a game like this, against the most attacking right-back in the world, Daniel Alves. Eboue has improved immeasurably in the past year or so, and though he may have been out of place on the left, he would have done a better job than Rosicky – who didn’t even impress going forward.

But the real issue must be Wenger’s decision to play a 4-1-4-1 shape, with Denilson stranded in front of the defence. With Messi playing centrally and with a license to drift around, the Brazilian was given the task of tracking him. Although it was far from an outright man-marking job, it was inevitable that he would constantly be drawn to Messi when he moved to the flank.

Messi celebrates his second

But that opened up Arsenal in front of the back four, creating space that was exploited at various times by Keita, Xavi, Pedro and Bojan. Arsenal needed another man in that zone, but with Diaby pushed forward alongside Nasri, their defence was left exposed. Diaby’s natural game is not as a holding midfielder, but if he had played there in a 4-2-3-1 Arsenal would have been tighter in front of their defence, and given less space to Barcelona where they really like to play.

Qique Sanchez Flores, whose Atletico Madrid team beat Barcelona in February, said he did it by“Keeping our shape short and narrow to make it hard for Barcelona to find players between the lines, which is what they do so well and what most causes you trouble”. The 4-1-4-1 didn’t make it hard for Barcelona to find players between the lines, it made it very, very easy.

And the most damning part is that Messi provided the initial pass to the player who then assisted his first two goals. For the first he played it to Pedro and later got it back, for the second he slipped it through to Abidal who put the cross in. On both occasions, he picked the ball up in space you would be disappointed to give any player in the competition, let alone the very best one.

The third (and to a certain extent) the fourth were caused – yet again – by a positional error from Thomas Vermaelen. And it’s the same mistake time and time again, coming too high up towards the ball to pick up a striker who has dropped deep. It happened against Manchester United, against West Ham, and now against Barcelona home and away, and it’s costing Arsenal a ridiculous number of goals. It’s such a blatant and persistent error that this website will feature an article on it within the next week, but it’s quite incredible that Vermaelen can keep making the same mistake and not face any criticism in the mainstream media for it.

Is it harsh to criticize tactics when Messi played as well as that, and won the game by himself? Probably, but he doesn’t score four goals every game, and Arsenal made it easy for him to work his magic. Wenger’s problem is that he isn’t good enough at setting up his side to neutralise the opposition’s main threats. He is a great football manager, but can he really be regarded as a great tactician? His commitment to good attacking football is wonderful and is appreciated by football supporters across the world – and we should not fall into the trap of thinking that football can be regarded as style v success – Barcelona have proven otherwise. But even they are capable of winning tactically, shutting down games, and completely switching their system according to their opponents strengths and weaknesses.

Wenger’s overall philosophy doesn’t need to change, but in specific, one-off games he surely must be a little bit more streetwise. If that means playing two players solidly in front of the back four, or playing a ‘defensive’ winger to keep the game tight in the first half, then Arsenal fans will hardly object to the brief lack of ‘classy’ football.

But these are probably debates for another day. Today was not about tactics, it was about Messi and the best individual performance of the season.

No surprises for guessing that Barcelona again saw more of the ball in the game at the Nou Camp – it’s doubtful any side will visit there this season and see more possession.

Indeed, the Barcelona victory in terms of ‘passes completed’ was less marked than in the first leg at the Emirates. Arsenal’s most successful passer in that game was Denilson, despite the fact he didn’t even play the entire game.

In this second leg, Bacary Sagna was near the top of the list – a result of Barcelona playing a lopsided shape with no ‘true’ left-winger, meaning Sagna was constantly the ‘free’ man. The right-sided centre-back, Thomas Vermaelen, is not far behind.

But again, the graph makes for amazing reading because of Xavi’s sheer dominance. To complete 41 more passes than any other player on the pitch is absolutely incredible.
                                                          Over the two legs he completed 65 more passes than any other player.
                                                          Last edited by eagle eye; 08-04-10, 07:40.

Comment

So I just finished watched The Legend of the Bagger Vance. Fantastic movie, almost as refreshing as a round of golf in summer weather. Absolutely love it and its automatically a top 10 all time movie for me.

Thank you a million times Lloyd for that post earlier.

I had one very minor issue with it but thats because I am a golfer and its about the teeing order on the 18th but hey its a movie so they have license to do what they want.
                                                            If you haven't read 'The greatest game ever played' by Mark Frost, make sure you do.
                                                            Last edited by careca; 08-04-10, 07:55.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                              Fuck that. You don't see me complaining when lads are talking about horses. I can accept chit chat about subjects uninteresting to me. Those who can't get the full brunt of my disdain.
                                                              Lloyd in full-on imperial form

good to see
                                                              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

ship the €1275 for 5 numbers in the lotto!!

Beat, lost a 42/1 flip for €13m
                                                                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                  ship the €1275 for 5 numbers in the lotto!!

Beat, lost a 42/1 flip for €13m
                                                                  man, this post is gonna put The Rigger on tilt

wp, full-time Lotto pro these days? Give us your secrets

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                    man, this post is gonna put The Rigger on tilt

wp, full-time Lotto pro these days? Give us your secrets
                                                                    Wait till it hits €12m then lump
                                                                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Brag: Stole Chris Jebus Feruson's BB this morning...

edit: beat: he just KO'd me...rigged obv
                                                                      Last edited by 72over; 08-04-10, 08:21.
                                                                      It's all an illusion

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                        I don't get ya. I was the 1st in the day to cal/Lynch l Kev out as a Wolf. So how is thanking his post Suicidal ? I don't get it? If anything I've copper fastened my Villager status.

Comment

Forget Iron Man, Kickass etc etc

Must see movie of 2010
                                                                          BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
                                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Solskjaer View Post
                                                                            If anything I've copper fastened my Villager status.
                                                                            never had any doubts about it myself, you were the cowboy right?

Comment

that Photo was from last months 120 game in the SE, down to the last 5 with the chief. and metal man,

Comment

good to see
                                                                                You can see why boards.ie nipped his rabble-rousing ways in the bud

Comment

My Fav Tiger add

Perfection

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meVTld5GvbM[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                                                                                    indeed, the man is clearly a complete megalomaniac and a menace to decent folk everywhere

Comment

indeed, the man is clearly a complete megalomaniac and a menace to decent folk everywhere
                                                                                      A demagogue even, but one you'd want on your side rather that against you nevertheless

Comment

A demagogue even, but one you'd want on your side rather that against you nevertheless
                                                                                        for sure , you don't want that boy comin' for ya

has anyone read the new James MacManus (no, not our own HawkEye) [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Cowboys-Full-Story-James-McManus/dp/0374299242/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270716785&sr=8-3"]poker book[/ame]?

Looks pretty interesting and I loved his last book

Comment

good to see
                                                                                          lol, whatever. Clearly, keeping it so reigned in over the weekend had me due for a reaction sooner rather than later!!
                                                                                          "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Brag: Finally got round to playing a game of five a side a month after twanging my knee snowboarding and the knee is still good today.

Beat: Beat got a lovely elbow right under the eye while playing and now look like Dunne after his Poonswatting. Have to deal with the public all day too.

Also where is the rolleyes smiley gone to?

Comment

Would have been a sick spot for a slowroll

$0.50/$1 No Limit Holdem
                                                                                              6 Players
                                                                                              Hand Conversion Powered by weaktight.com

Stacks:
                                                                                              UTG ($108.10)
                                                                                              UTG+1 ($109.40)
                                                                                              CO ($143.25)
                                                                                              BTN ($106.10)
                                                                                              SB ($79)
                                                                                              Hero ($100)

Pre-Flop: ($1.50, 6 players) Hero is BB
                                                                                              UTG raises to $3.50, 3 folds, SB calls $3, Hero calls $2.50

Flop: ($10.50, 3 players)
                                                                                              SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks

Turn: ($10.50, 3 players)
                                                                                              SB checks, Hero bets $8, UTG calls $8, SB folds

River: ($26.50, 2 players)
                                                                                              Hero bets $22, UTG goes all-in $96.60, Hero calls $66.50

Final Pot: $211.60
                                                                                              Hero shows

UTG shows

Hero wins $200.50 (net +$100.50)

UTG collects $8.10 (net -$100)
                                                                                              SB lost $3.50

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

Also where is the rolleyes smiley gone to?

Dom stuck it up Donal's arse I think

Comment

I'm not sure who came across worse last night. The SF + here or the RTE panel, same level of bile from both parites anyway.
                                                                                                  Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

I was expecting a photo posted of him dancing in Lederhose on a Man Utd shirt . Get rid of that mental image now me boyz.

Comment

Amazon is a dangerous beast

you go on to order one thing and end up with twenty books

I need some sort of self-exclusion limit to mitigate degen book-buying tendencies

Comment

Originally posted by Solskjaer View Post
                                                                                                        I was expecting a photo posted of him dancing in Lederhose on a Man Utd shirt . Get rid of that mental image now me boyz.
                                                                                                        np

Comment

Originally posted by The C Kid View Post
                                                                                                          Tomorrow's NikeGolf Tiger commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NTRvlrP2NU
                                                                                                          That is extremely sinister.

Y'know what, Tiger is a cheaper whore than any of the women he went with, he just gets bigger cheques.
                                                                                                          (and just for HJ) IMO
                                                                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Although I did like this from the panel

Bill: He was a bit racist wasn't he?

The Germans aren't a race Bill, Hitler didn't win the war.
                                                                                                            Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                              That is extremely sinister.

Y'know what, Tiger is a cheaper whore than any of the women he went with, he just gets bigger cheques.
                                                                                                              (and just for HJ) IMO
                                                                                                              +1

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                                                                Thank Christ the championship starts in May. Summer days in Semple, bliss.
                                                                                                                Don't forget that small tournament in south Africa in the summer
                                                                                                                Follow me in twitterland

Comment

Originally posted by smurph View Post
                                                                                                                  Don't forget that small tournament in south Africa in the summer
                                                                                                                  V true smurph, cant wait for the WC. Although I'll find myself getting a lot more worked up about the hurling come June.

Comment

Originally posted by RasTa View Post
                                                                                                                    I'm not sure who came across worse last night. The SF + here or the RTE panel, same level of bile from both parites anyway.
                                                                                                                    Dunphy is never taken seriously, he does his 'thare finished Bill' for the lads on the bar stools. If I recall about 3 years ago, him and Giles were talking about United in crises and how there is something 'seriously wrong' at Old Trafford. 3 titles later and going for 4 in a row, two very unlucky defeats and now it's the end of an era. Sure the noughties were supposed to see the end of them.
                                                                                                                    I've said it many times though Fergie is tactically inept at the top end but a brilliant man motivator. If he does step down after he wins the 19th title this season. Only Jose can fill his boots. Either way, United will prove the 'no money' critics wrong this summer , a serious midfielder or two will be purchased.

As for Raphael, I wouldn't be too hard on the lad, it was a simple pull back , if you get booked for that in the middle of the pitch the game is fooked. Redic booking but I'm not going to debate that with the ABUs on here. Unlucky is how I see the last two weeks .

Carrick WTF?

Comment

The cowboy is John Wark, isn't he?
                                                                                                                      Originally posted by RasTa View Post
                                                                                                                      Sadly it is te same level of crap that Liverpool fans have to listen to all too often, especially this season.

Comment

Chinese whispers in work can be so fucking tilting

Comment

I think the main difference is that the pubs tonight won't be door to door United fans wearing United Jerseys cheering on Benfica. Last night you'd swear Liverpool were playing the CL final.
                                                                                                                          I did see an FC Cologne shirt, WP that lad. United fans LOL at Liverpool, the Liverpool fans SEETHE at United. That's how I see it but then again I'm biased.

Rovers versus Bohs this week. I'm in the strange position of not knowing who to shout for. Meh give us a draw please.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X