Clear All

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
    6÷2(1+2)=?
    1 or 9?
    1, in what world would it be 9?

Comment

Min cash arseaments

Comment

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by TomD View Post
          1, in what world would it be 9?
          6 div 2 = 3. 1+2 = 3.
          Multiply them = 9.
          I think its the way I was taught, do everything inside the brackets first, then everything outside the brackets before applying it to the inside bracket figure.
          Last edited by ArmaniJeans; 02-05-11, 00:07.

Comment

Mark Ronsons last album was superb and deserves more love.
            [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62mn553xel4[/ame]

Comment

waste of a trip to clonmel
              few horrible beats. at home now no fuckin wine in the house only a dribble of JD, might get one out of it1

in a shit mood anyway, dont ask why, just am.( wrong time to be playing online poker)

anyway rant over !
              Last edited by SatNav; 01-05-11, 23:50.
              Her sky-ness
              © 5starpool

Comment

should have gone to mountmelick obviously.
                X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

last one for tonight

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KalKkJAtjl4&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KalKkJAtjl4&feature=related[/ame]

Comment

Poor Shaggy ripoff imo.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSywtiAirKE[/ame]
                    imo

Comment

Absolutely deadly Loopz, wp
                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Sometime Happy Dude View Post
                        should have gone to mountmelick obviously.
                        its not on tonight only mon and fri!

met starrbar in clonmel , knew he was going to be there, its funny as i was looking around the place and spotted him and said to myself, bet thats him there and it was lol

psychic obviously
                        Her sky-ness
                        © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                          Cool man, I've never heard that live before.

Here's a well known toon....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfHtTtCapmE
                          I quite like a bit of ska but this is the perfect response:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F03gEzdLa2g[/ame]
                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

WWE Extreme Rules is on www.liveonlinefooty.com Channel 3

Comment

Comment

that better not be directed at me !!!!!!
                                Her sky-ness
                                © 5starpool

Comment

Stoneyloop, this one's for you dude...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZC6Ot1MLP0[/ame]

Comment

There's a hugely positive case for limiting users to one youtube music post in any 24hour period imo.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                      6 div 2 = 3. 1+2 = 3.
                                      Multiply them = 9.
                                      I think its the way I was thought, do everything inside the brackets first, then everything outside the brackets before applying it to the inside bracket figure.
                                      I cant agree with this.

6/2(1+2) is very different from (6/2)(1+2)

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                        I quite like a bit of ska but this is the perfect response:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F03gEzdLa2g
                                        'Ska sucks' sucks dude

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                          'Ska sucks' sucks dude
                                          Your opinion that 'Ska sucks' sucks sucks.
                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Paul Theroux is gonna be at the Dublin writers festival this year

I'd be interested to compare the different demographics attending Palin to those of Theroux.

Comment

SE monthly game doesn't get enough love imo - teh structure is actually too good! for what you pay for its a definite must play

Comment

I cant agree with this.

6/2(1+2) is very different from (6/2)(1+2)
                                                I agree totally. I just think it was the way we did it, and it makes logical sense under a different set of rules. I looked at it and came up with 9 instinctively, and I was reasonably capable at the whole maths thing.

I'm looking at your 2 examples there and to me they are both 9. I did do my Inter Cert 20 years ago though and they may have changed the rules.

Comment

From city center, to get to Santry do I have to go through the toll stops on way to airport?
                                                  NextStopWhoKnows

Comment

I agree totally. I just think it was the way we did it, and it makes logical sense under a different set of rules. I looked at it and came up with 9 instinctively, and I was reasonably capable at the whole maths thing.

I'm looking at your 2 examples there and to me they are both 9. I did do my Inter Cert 20 years ago though and they may have changed the rules.
                                                    The sum should be wrote like this to avoid any confusion.
                                                    6 =
                                                    2(2+1)

Also, nearly sure you are right to use taught.

Comment

Originally posted by Four of a Kind View Post
                                                      From city center, to get to Santry do I have to go through the toll stops on way to airport?
                                                      No, and its 'centre' ffs

Comment

No, and its 'centre' ffs
                                                        it's

Comment

I just facking watched Football Factory you muggy cahnts and now my brain will literally not stop talking to myself in aggro cockney.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                              I just facking watched Football Factory you muggy cahnts and now my brain will literally not stop talking to myself in aggro cockney.
                                                              Well then you should watch Naked on Film 4+1 in a few minutes and brush up on your Mancunian philosophy

Comment

dont know if ye have seen this, fantastic talent !

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvifyY3a1OI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvifyY3a1OI[/ame]
                                                                Her sky-ness
                                                                © 5starpool

Comment

I'm bored. Is Pgodkin not involved in an armed robbery somewhere??

Comment

I'm a maths teacher* and the answer is 100% 1**

*May not be true
                                                                    **Definitely true

Comment

Originally posted by michelle SatNav View Post
                                                                      in a shit mood anyway, dont ask why, just am
                                                                      lol women

Comment

dont know if ye have seen this, fantastic talent !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvifyY3a1OI
                                                                        That's the secont gayest kid I've ever seen. Only outgayed by the fashion critic kid on the Late Late Toy Show last year.

Comment

Originally posted by KK82 View Post
                                                                          That's the secont gayest kid I've ever seen. Only outgayed by the fashion critic kid on the Late Late Toy Show last year.
                                                                          ya i have to agree, he is so gay its unreal, the stand of him , the clothes everything but wow he has some voice!
                                                                          Her sky-ness
                                                                          © 5starpool

Comment

I feel like i need to reassess everything i know about mathemathics

Comment

The maths question is constructed poorly, don't let it get to you.

Comment

That's it! Done with poker for the night! Why must cretins be infinitely luckier than me?

Comment

MSN calling me a queer on facebook, I think this pic proves you wrong MSN

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.
                                                                                  Last edited by nicnicnic; 02-05-11, 00:51.

Comment

UFC 129 Main Card - Saturday Night / Sunday Morning

Lightweight bout: Mark Bocek vs. Ben Henderson[1]
                                                                                    Henderson is a stone cold killer in the mould of Jose Aldo, this one will finish hard. Henderson by TKO in the 2nd. Fight of the night.

Light Heavyweight bout: Randy Couture vs. Lyoto Machida[1]
                                                                                    This could be pretty boring with Machida pressed against the cage for a bit of the time and then standing back for the rest. Still expect Machida to get the decision (unless there are judging irregularities)

Light Heavyweight bout: Vladimir Matyushenko vs. Jason Brilz[1]
                                                                                    Brilz has a hrd head and he's going to need it against Vlad, Vlad to cause some damage and eventually get the TKO.

Featherweight Championship bout: José Aldo (c) vs. Mark Hominick[1]
                                                                                    Best fighter in the UFC, Jose Aldo will win by destruction. There are tougher tests ahead and i dont expect Hominik to be up to much. KO of the night.

Welterweight Championship bout: Georges St-Pierre (c) vs. Jake Shields[1]
                                                                                    GSP to pick off Shield on the feet and maybe score a couple of takedowns too. He wont want to spend too long on the ground with Shields though. GSP by decision in front of 55000 home fans.
                                                                                    -Ben Henderson: The guy is awesome, hopefully he gets a rematch with Pettis soon (this first was the best fight i've ever seen) and another with Cerrone
                                                                                    -Machido: Wowsers, LOLs at Steven Seagal
                                                                                    -Jose Aldo: Adapated well to the bigger cage, he's gonna be champion for a long long time. My favourite fighter by a long way
                                                                                    -GSP: Too good for anyone in the division, needs a proper challenge (or he may be accused becoming boring)

Comment

Originally posted by nicnicnic View Post

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
                                                                                      lol nicky i was actually going to comment on that pic and say that, but thought you might give me the ould evil eye the next time we meet!

but as you said i have that lovely big kiss waiting
                                                                                      Her sky-ness
                                                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Sheen View Post
                                                                                        The maths question is constructed poorly, don't let it get to you.
                                                                                        Yet there's still a rule to cover that situation and it says the answer is 1!

Comment

Add a handbag to that photo.

Comment

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vBVAJselZ98" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Possibly an embedding fail there. Not quite sure how to do it.

Comment

enough said !!!

SPOILER
                                                                                              Her sky-ness
                                                                                              © 5starpool

Comment

Lu lu lu I got some apples lu lu lu ya got some to?

Comment

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBVAJselZ98"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBVAJselZ98[/ame]
                                                                                                  48

Comment

stop stalking me on facebook

Comment

How did you embed that? Computer whizz obv.

Comment

stop stalking me on facebook
                                                                                                        nicky you have to thank that post, its class if i might say so myself lol

stalk, fuckin cheek

We are friends
                                                                                                        Her sky-ness
                                                                                                        © 5starpool

Comment

Reckon that sum depends on the way you write it:

6 * (1+2) = 9
                                                                                                          2____1

or

6 __________ = 1
                                                                                                          2 (1+2)
                                                                                                          This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

How did you embed that? Computer whizz obv.
                                                                                                            You just paste the normal Youtube url from your browser window, no fancy embed links.

And on the equation (just to save another 2 pages of it) the answer is 9 according to a maths professor.

I am your college professor that you requested, with a doctorate in Mathematics. I will break this down as simply as possible and end this debate as approx. 10 students have already asked me this today.
                                                                                                            The problem as it is written is 6÷2(1+2) , the ÷ cannot be substituted with a fraction bar because they have different ranks on the order of operations. It is an illegal math move to do this. The bar ranks with parentheses, ÷ is interchangeable with *. therefore the problem must be solved as 6÷2(1+2) NOT 6 (over) 2(1+2) we do the parentheses first, so 6÷2(3), the parentheses are now no longer relevant, because the number inside is in it's simplest form. Every single number has implied parentheses around it.
                                                                                                            6÷2(3)
                                                                                                            (6) ÷(2)(3)
                                                                                                            6÷2*3,
                                                                                                            or even converting the division to multiplication by a reciprocal (a legal math move)
                                                                                                            (6)(1 (over) 2)(3)
                                                                                                            are all correct ways to write this problem and mean exactly the same thing. Using pemdas, where md and as are interchangeable, we work from left to right, so (3)(3) or
                                                                                                            3*3= 9

Just because something is implied rather than written does not give it any special rank in the order of operations.

The problem in it's simplest form, with nothing implied would look like this:
                                                                                                            (1+1+1+1+1+1 (over) 1) ÷ (1+1 (over) 1) * ((1(over) 1) + (1+1 (over) 1))
                                                                                                            From here, nothing is implied, This again, works out to 9.

If the symbol '/' was used this whole debate would be ambiguous since that symbol can mean "to divide by" or it could mean a fraction bar.

HOWEVER, because the ÷ symbol is used, it can not be changed to mean a fraction bar because that would change the order of operations and thus the whole problem, you can't change a symbol to mean something because you want to, in doing so you are changing the problem.

Once and for all, the answer is 9.

Hopefully some of my students see this so I can stop answering this question.

End of debate... hopefully.
                                                                                                            Last edited by hotspur; 02-05-11, 01:19.

Comment

nicky you have to thank that post, its class if i might say so myself lol

stalk, fuckin cheek

We are friends
                                                                                                              wasn't talking to you

Comment

wasn't talking to you
                                                                                                                who were ya talking to then
                                                                                                                Her sky-ness
                                                                                                                © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                                  You just paste the normal Youtube url from your browser window, no fancy embed links.
                                                                                                                  I obviously overthunk it!

Anyone see that programme 'The Virgin Diaries' on MTV? Jesus, it's a bit much. It's 17 & 18 year olds doing video diaries as they attempt to lose their virginities. The one on at the moment I've seen before. The girl is desperate to lose it by her 18th birthday.. She meets a guy and decides he is the victim and obsesses over him for a bit. He obv got a bit freaked out and stopped returning her calls. Then she decides she's actually a lesbian. Don't really think the kid's parents should allow their kids to do it. They're a bit to vulnerable and naive and will probably cringe hugely when they see it.

The last kid was gay and was describing how it was a bit painful having another guy inside him for the first time. No way I'd let my kid ever go on that show!

Comment

Didnt know that about the division sign (that it couldnt be subbed for / )

Everyday's a school day kids.
                                                                                                                    This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

There's a hugely positive case for limiting users to one youtube music post in any 24hour period imo.

Comment

I obviously overthunk it!

Anyone see that programme 'The Virgin Diaries' on MTV? Jesus, it's a bit much. It's 17 & 18 year olds doing video diaries as they attempt to lose their virginities. The one on at the moment I've seen before. The girl is desperate to lose it by her 18th birthday.. She meets a guy and decides he is the victim and obsesses over him for a bit. He obv got a bit freaked out and stopped returning her calls. Then she decides she's actually a lesbian. Don't really think the kid's parents should allow their kids to do it. They're a bit to vulnerable and naive and will probably cringe hugely when they see it.

The last kid was gay and was describing how it was a bit painful having another guy inside him for the first time. No way I'd let my kid ever go on that show!
                                                                                                                        jesus christ! bit too much info!
                                                                                                                        Her sky-ness
                                                                                                                        © 5starpool

Comment

You can, but only where you apply it to one number, which is identical to division sign.
                                                                                                                          Not the way people were doing it, bring everything after it below the line, which was retarded.

It was always 9

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X