Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did I hear that Amy Huberman went off to the Royal Wedding on her own?
    Fair play to her if she did.

Also LOL at the Women in the office here who went out and got strawberries and cream and cream buns and are having a picnic to celebrate the Wedding
    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Sometime Happy Dude View Post
      SHD sports pays out on Michelle SatNav at a MASSIVE 8/1!!!1!!
      keep pricing up markets like that and u wont last long!
      http://mobro.co/zuroph
      donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

Originally posted by Zuroph View Post
        keep pricing up markets like that and u wont last long!
        Most of the money went elsewhere. It was a bumper day for SHD Sports.
        X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
        Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by Sledgejammer View Post
          They'd a (Quite decently) better points/game ratio last year than this and they still have Sevilla and Villarreal away this season. I don't see the improvement and it's not reflected in results. They were a ruthlessly effective side last year, they set a la liga points record ffs! They took it to the last day, this liga race has been over for ages. I think people attribute them certain things based soley on Mourinho there, they may well be better organised but they've also dropped alot of points they wouldn't have last year for being unable to break down stubborn teams. Given time he will improve them, but in the only real measure of this kind of thing, the league, the evidence is not there, his record is poorer than Pellegrinis despite alot of money invested and a stronger collection of individuals.
          Agreed.

The way I see it is, the attacking talent is clearly there. Clearly. It seems Mourinho has taken them back to 'basics'. Gotten a structure together which makes them more solid and more tactically adept. I know its a week indicator, but as far as league tables go, they will likely concede less this year than last. Which is the point.

Thats how he sets his teams have always been set up, 'if you don't concede you can never lose'. He is likely acutely aware, much like all of us, that Madrid have serious attacking prowess and getting the solidarity and structure right was a priority.

I guess its what you guage as improvement. I see the above as a better place to be in than last years team, I see it as an improved team, and a place where there is a hell of a lot more room for further improvement. By virtue of looking like he has a plan, thats an improvement. Pellegrini always set his team up like if they don't score, he'll be shot.

Edit: Also, as sitch says, he's won a trophy and CL improvement.
          This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
            Why are people only focusing on Mourinho's league performance with Real. Stating the obvious but he has won a Spanish cup and taken them two rounds further then they've been in the Champions League over the past 6 years. This is improvement in my eyes.
            Cup is irrelevant, they hadn't won it since '93. In that time they've won, what, three champions leagues and how many leagues? Lack of talent isn't the reason that record was in place...Essentially the improvement boils down to taking his chances vs Lyon. So comparing a couple of one off games vs 33 so far against the same opposition Pellegrini faced the previous season. It's up to you which you think is more accurate I guess.
            "In the world, there are many kings but there is only one God. I am God, I am El Tren" :{)

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
              Get out of that garden. That post above was conveniently after we started negotiations. All of you're posts previous either outright mentioned you thought he'd be sacked or implied as such.

4/1, my €400 to you're €100 that he's sacked before first game of next La Liga season?
              I'd want greater odds for straightforward sacking (thought I was reasonably clear but maybe not)

For 'either pushed or quit' option, 4/1 seems about right
              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Agreed.

The way I see it is, the attacking talent is clearly there. Clearly. It seems Mourinho has taken them back to 'basics'. Gotten a structure together which makes them more solid and more tactically adept. I know its a week indicator, but as far as league tables go, they will likely concede less this year than last. Which is the point.

Thats how he sets his teams have always been set up, 'if you don't concede you can never lose'. He is likely acutely aware, much like all of us, that Madrid have serious attacking prowess and getting the solidarity and structure right was a priority.

I guess its what you guage as improvement. I see the above as a better place to be in than last years team, I see it as an improved team, and a place where there is a hell of a lot more room for further improvement. By virtue of looking like he has a plan, thats an improvement. Pellegrini always set his team up like if they don't score, he'll be shot.
                Yeah there's definitely truth to this and like I said, given time, Mourinho will get it right, he is the right man for the job IF the fans want trophies at all costs, he's possibly the best in the world. I just didn't agree that he'd closed the gap this year when the gap is wider than it was last year, the improvement hasn't happened YET, but yeah, given time he will produce, he always does, and there is the foundation in place for that to happen. I'd be shocked if the gap wasn't reduced by next season for example, or if in fact it wasn't reversed, especially if they get another big summer transfer kitty
                "In the world, there are many kings but there is only one God. I am God, I am El Tren" :{)

Comment

Cup is irrelevant, they hadn't won it since '93. In that time they've won, what, three champions leagues and how many leagues? Lack of talent isn't the reason that record was in place...Essentially the improvement boils down to taking his chances vs Lyon. So comparing a couple of one off games vs 33 so far against the same opposition Pellegrini faced the previous season. It's up to you which you think is more accurate I guess.
                  good post, League form is always the more accurate barometer

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                    Did I hear that Amy Huberman went off to the Royal Wedding on her own?
                    Fair play to her if she did.

Also LOL at the Women in the office here who went out and got strawberries and cream and cream buns and are having a picnic to celebrate the Wedding
                    I saw the most ruthless, assertive and abrupt woman I have ever come across reduced to a giggly, excited, slushy, lovey-dovey mess today by this wedding.

I called in to her office to deliver something and she was wearing headphones, streaming from skynews with all the latest coverage. She was gushing over the whole thing and I struggled not to laugh. I mean this is a woman that if you spelled a word incorrectly she would crucify you.

lol at how much of a fuss over nothing is made at the whole thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                      I'd want greater odds for straightforward sacking (thought I was reasonably clear but maybe not)

For 'either pushed or quit' option, 4/1 seems about right
                      No Dice unfortunately Glynn.

Maybe another time.
                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

No Dice unfortunately Glynn.

Maybe another time.
                        3/1

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                          yeah it's looking that way
                          I think I can get a 75/77 to dundrum or stillorgan and get the luas
                          but it's still the guts of 90mins each way
                          I did that in reverse for 2 years when I worked in Tallaght and the only positive about it was that I read a lot due to how much time i spent on the bus.

Your best bet if you're going to be doing that for any length of time is to get a car.

As has been said previously, the 75 is incredibly unreliable/infrequent and take a very circuitous route (the point of it is that it serves all the shopping centes - dun laoghaire, stillorgan, nutgrove etc.). Far too many times of either having to get a taxi or a bus into town and then the 77 to tallaght

Unless where you're working in leopardstown is reasonably close to the N11, it's going to be an even worse pain of a journey

Comment

3/1
                            I think if he does go, he'll resign, and the outcome of this current debacle/next weeks CL Semi will have a major say on it.

I'm not willing to be he wont resign. Sacked yes, at 4/1. Resign no thanks.

Comment

I'll give you 11/8 RDIII, I think thats a slap bang neutral price btw.

Comment

I think if he does go, he'll resign, and the outcome of this current debacle/next weeks CL Semi will have a major say on it.

OK, no problemo

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                    I'll give you 11/8 RDIII, I think thats a slap bang neutral price btw.
                                    no thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                      Sligo band at the same lark

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SULRoZu2kHc[/ame]

Comment

Yeah but it's not like it's any serious drop in league form. If they keep up their current win rate they'll finish on 92 points, a drop which could be explained by battling on multiple front which they weren't at this stage last year.

It could be argued that they're continual lack of progression past the CL round 16 was becoming a phychological issue and Jose helped them overcome those mental problems this season. I wouldn't just dismiss the Cup either as it has taken on more importance in recent years.
                                        Profit before people.

Comment

What are the chances Fergusson announces a shock retirement IF he wins the 19th league title "knocking Liverpool off their perch" and/or gets to retire as a European champion? I doubt he'll announce his retirement in advance given what happened last time, and either way that's a pretty good note to go out on. That'd have a big bearing on the Mourinho bet, could be the excuse Perez needs to move him on and save face and it'd be an incentive for Jose to leave.

Comment

@ Raoul, you're some man for negotiating odds he's only 6/4 on Betfair to leave, albeit for small amounts.

Comment

Originally posted by thedini View Post
                                              @ Raoul, you're some man for negotiating odds he's only 6/4 on Betfair to leave, albeit for small amounts.
                                              I was only guessing tbh

can you post a linky?

Comment

Ship the ticket to Leinster game. Only European Cup I am recognizing this year.

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                                  Could you please provide a list of upcoming events that you are recognising and those you aren't, it's hard to keep up.

Interesting to note that you are recognising the Americansed spelling of recognizing.

Comment

I was only guessing tbh

can you post a linky?
                                                    can't post a link for some reason, it's in soccer-specials-mourinho to go.

Comment

wedding on the tv for 2 minutes and I've some choreographed kiss in slow motion a dozen times, rofl.

Comment

Originally posted by Sometime Happy Dude View Post
                                                        Could you please provide a list of upcoming events that you are recognising and those you aren't, it's hard to keep up.

Interesting to note that you are recognising the Americansed spelling of recognizing.
                                                        Heineken Cup.
                                                        Premier League.
                                                        Premier League Darts.
                                                        2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup.
                                                        Amlin Challenge Cup Final.
                                                        Magners League.
                                                        U.S. Open Golf.
                                                        The Open Championship.

Comment

Kate whatsherface is the royal version of Cheryl Cole, as per ITV.

Comment

What are the chances Fergusson announces a shock retirement IF he wins the 19th league title "knocking Liverpool off their perch" and/or gets to retire as a European champion? I doubt he'll announce his retirement in advance given what happened last time, and either way that's a pretty good note to go out on. That'd have a big bearing on the Mourinho bet, could be the excuse Perez needs to move him on and save face and it'd be an incentive for Jose to leave.
                                                            I think United will be Mourinhos next job. Its too convenient not to be, given the triad of friendships between Mourinho, Mourinhos agent Mendes(who has done lots of business at Old Trafford) and Ferguson. I dont think Fergie will be retiring this season anyway.

If the UEFA charges go against Mourinho, and he doesnt view the outcome favorably, doesnt think he can spin it to an advantage (with his team, fans) he'll be much more likely to leave.

Perez and Valdano may also see the debacle as a sully on Madrids name, this combined with a loss to Barca in the CL semi first leg and possible derailing in the second, losing the league to them AND being beaten 5-0 means that if the two boys get a whiff of support for Mourinho out then he's a goner, but it'll be on his own terms and he'll resign before the drop the axe imo.

The reason I wanted to take Raouls bet was because, I think this whole debacle will actually increase the teams and fans love for Mourinho long term, and galvanise them short term. He wont be fired. I also think the genius that he is, he'll find a way to use this to his advantage. He is fond of the siege mentality and can be quite persuasive implementing it.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                              Kinda got owned there.

Colleague asks me why O'Driscoll, Beckham etc are on the invite list. So I explain that William is on a lot of sporting bodies.

Sharp fucker at back of office shouts out "And he'll be on another one in a few hours". Everyone laughed but I think they were laughing at me as well as the royals.
                                                              You felt like this?

Comment

The reason I wanted to take Raouls bet was because, I think this whole debacle will actually increase the teams and fans love for Mourinho long term, and galvanise them short term. He wont be fired. I also think the genius that he is, he'll find a way to use this to his advantage. He is fond of the siege mentality and can be quite persuasive implementing it.
                                                                According to my Madridista amigo, Jose-Maria, the fans are sick over the way he set the team up this week and, believe it or not, they're getting sick of the bullshit and constant attention-seeking. Di Stefano's criticisms really hit home with the fan base.

Would have been more fun telling you this after I'd secured the 4/1

Comment

Jose Marinho to leave Real Madrid? HA!. Some hope.

Comment

wtf is up with Trump, does he just pot a ball and hope he finishes near a colour/play like this all the time?

Comment

Originally posted by A_CitizenErased View Post
                                                                      Jose Marinho to leave Real Madrid? HA!. Some hope.
                                                                      United job comes up he would run.

Abramovich offers him total control, he would run.

Liverpool give him 100M transfer kitty he would run.

Comment

Thought ye were talking about The Donald

Comment

According to my Madridista amigo, Jose-Maria, the fans are sick over the way he set the team up this week and, believe it or not, they're getting sick of the bullshit and constant attention-seeking. Di Stefano's criticisms really hit home with the fan base.

Yeah the fans are actually turning on him, Marca, a glorified Real Madrid fanzine and general voice of Perez, has been running polls and they've nearly all been emphatically against Mourinhos outbursts, antics and tactics. Now these are reactionary polls taken from fans a day or so after losing at home to their bitterest rivals so take them for what they're worth, but Real fans wont tolerate his crap for much longer.

For right or for wrong, Real fans like to see themselves as above most things. They see their club in a lofty position, which is somewhat justified by record alone. When they see a member slating opposition managers, as Jose has done all season, and constantly blaming referees and hilariously trying to claim there's a refereeing conspiracy against historical minnows Real Madrid, they're embarrassed. This isn't conduct 'befitting' a Real Madrid manager. They don't like it. When they see a manager doing things like leaving the grass grow longer and playing a blanket defence at home against their biggest rivals who're having a defensive injury crisis, it's embarrassing, regardless of the result. That's how a lower league team would prepare against Barca, it's admitting your inferior before the kick off even happens, and that does not sit well with the fans (Incidentally, the fact that this may well be the best/only way to approach the match is pretty much lost on them, I'm not saying Jose was wrong here, though I think he may have made some tactical mistakes last week). Di Stéfano, honorary president and obvious Madrid legend has publicly slated Mourinho for all of this. That carries alot of weight with the fans. I'm not saying they'll turn on him completely and demand a sacking, but his stock with alot of their support isn't all that huge right now and I really doubt any of this will get anyone on board with him, his antics will only turn people against him, it's the nature of the job he's in. He's not doing things the 'Real Madrid way'

Comment

Fans are of fickle nature. Thats why I said the second CL leg will have a big bearing.

I also think Di Stefano, Perez and Valdano will be rowing in behind Mourinho in support of these charges fairly swiftly, publically anyway. And then watch as Mourinho spins the charges in his favour.

Bingo, back in favour and everyones favourite slickster again.

Comment

Who is the guy on here who does computer fix up type stuff? Was it Zod if I remember?

Comment

Originally posted by Valor View Post
                                                                                Who is the guy on here who does computer fix up type stuff? Was it Zod if I remember?
                                                                                Yep

Comment

I also think Di Stefano, Perez and Valdano will be rowing in behind Mourinho in support of these charges fairly swiftly, publically anyway. And then watch as Mourinho spins the charges in his favour.
                                                                                  you is a crazy man

Valdano hates Mourinho, Perez will do whatever he thinks the fans will applaud and Di Stefano can hardly hide his disdain for Mourinho

Comment

Anybody care to postulate a method for actually beating Barcelona that doesn't involve complete focus on destruction?

Comment

Sick

New trailer

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMCUl0JqnJo[/ame]
                                                                                      "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                        Anybody care to postulate a method for actually beating Barcelona that doesn't involve complete focus on destruction?
                                                                                        food poisoning.
                                                                                        http://mobro.co/zuroph
                                                                                        donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

Chelsea 4-5-1/4-3-3 is the most effective way to play Barca.

It just simply isn't going to happen. Only Chelsea or United could do it imo and thats a long shot.

Comment

go down in glory if you're going down anyway

play Kaka, play Higuain, play Ozil, play all your friggin' galacticos and shoot it out with them, mano a mano. Sure you'll probably lose anyway but at least you'll be admired for trying.

Comment

Getting at their left back seems to be the key, but how you get enough of the ball to do it is the question...

Comment

you is a crazy man

Valdano hates Mourinho, Perez will do whatever he thinks the fans will applaud and Di Stefano can hardly hide his disdain for Mourinho
                                                                                                Yeah. Perez cant sack him though, he'd never be president again. They'll all need to support him publically though regardless of personal, private feelings. Like I said, outcome of this whole Uefa Charges will be a massive indicator.

He wont be sacked though if he goes. He'll go on his own terms.

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                                                                  That looks great! Love the transformer movies.
                                                                                                  We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act, but a habit.

Comment

Reals best chance was to attack on Wednesday and try and take a lead to the Camp Nou, imho. Barca aren't invincible, and Real have nearly a billions worth of talent to call on. Barcelona were playing a make shift defense of Mascherano at cb and a barely physically fit certainly not match fit Puyol at left back. This posed two great advantages to Real.

First, any centre forward worth his salt will fancy his chances one on one vs Mascherano as a centre half. Higuain immediately springs to mind, hat trick at the weekend, looking sharp as ever, and his movement and pace would have crushed Mascher. Second, the Puyol problem. He wont like someone running at him when he's out of position, on his wrong foot and not match fit. Attack down that flank. This problem for Barca was two-fold, it also cut off any width they'd get from the left full back position. Barca rely exclusively on their full backs for width, this cut out an entire avenue of attack meaning Real could rest slightly easier about being caught high up the pitch.

Add to the mix Iniesta, one of the best players of the world, was injured and his replacement Keita, while somewhat under-rated, simply isn't in his class, and Barca's mid field suddenly doesn't look as dominant. You also have Pedro and Villa up front struggling for goals. They were also at home.

Jose played for 0-0, or hoping to get lucky and snatch a win but likely a 0-0 draw. I think this was a mistake, and would have been an awful result. Going to the Camp Nou and facing a defence of Alves, Puyol, Pique, Maxwell with Iniesta back in the mid field and a possible confidence boosting run up for Pedo and Villa and needing a win or a score draw? It strikes me as unlikely. Especially since the nature of how they played implied they'd probably be weakned through suspension anyway. Barca were there for the taking in so much as they will ever be on Wednesday, if he wanted to beat them he had to do it then. If they drew 0-0 at home they'd likely have been hammered in the Camp Nou frankly, obviously they could get an early goal and really upset the apple cart but you're relying on getting very lucky basically. I think he got it wrong, though ofc he is a far better manager than I am so take all of that with a pinch of salt, Jose probably knows more than I do...
                                                                                                    Last edited by Sledgejammer; 29-04-11, 13:23.

Comment

Getting at their left back seems to be the key, but how you get enough of the ball to do it is the question...
                                                                                                      I would also rather Drogba or Rooney over Ronaldo going to the nou camp. They need someone like Lampard/Scholes. They just don't have the players really.

Comment

...
                                                                                                        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

...
                                                                                                          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

He wont be sacked though if he goes. He'll go on his own fucking terms.

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                                                                              hhhhmmmmm I'm not sure I'll jsut be delighted if its better than the 2nd one. Looks kind of like Indepence Day scenario

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                                                                                                at least you will be able to sneak another wear out of your chelsea jersey at the match

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Attack the space behind their fullbacks
                                                                                                                  Run at their Centre Backs

Squeeze the midfield (in the same manner they do)
                                                                                                                  Match them for workrate
                                                                                                                  Fill the space in front of your own Centre Backs

Get lucky!

Comment

Originally posted by Angry-Ball View Post
                                                                                                                    at least you will be able to sneak another wear out of your chelsea jersey at the match
                                                                                                                    good point, I may have to sneak out my old Ipswich top for the game

Comment

Barcelona are beatable, there's no doubt about it.

Many of their games are won before a ball is kicked. They're won because of how the opposition manager prepares the team in the week leading up the game, they're won because even though you might have world class players you can suck that confidence from them by adapting your game to suit what you expect from Barcelona rather than trying to dictate your own game.

To beat Barcelona you need each area of your team set up correctly and working as a single unit to nullify their threat

Defensively you need to play reasonably tight, squash your back four into an area that covers the width of the 18 yard box. That doesn't mean that you don't defend the corners obviously, but you don't leave massive gaps between your full backs and centre halves where they can punish you.

In midfield you need to play a floating 2-3 3-2 formation depending on whether you have the ball or not. When you don't your two wide players need to sit deeper and help to nullify the areas between the touch line and the 18 yard box. That allows your defense to take up that tighter area for control mentioned above. Your three central midfielders are then responsible for covering the same width as your back line but from the halfway line to the 18 yard box. Barcelona will try and play around you, but you play a compact midfield and tightly mark the likes of Xavi & Iniesta then you can force them into mistakes. When attacking your two wide players need to be able to break quickly along with one of your central midfield players. Barca are susceptible at the back when they're attacked at pace and with width.

Up top that leaves you with a solitary forward who needs to be comfortable with holding up the ball to allow the wide men and the AM to get into supporting positions, and equally capable of picking out the right pass to continue momentum in the move.

When you set up like the above it shouldn't be something new just for Barcelona, it should be the way you play during the season. Not every game, but you have to be used to it and you have to take away the psychological edge that they have before they step onto the pitch. Above all you have to match their fitness and their drive to get the ball back when you don't have it. I think United/Chelsea/Inter/Madrid could all beat them in a one off game. If United get to the final and Barcelona meet them there I don't think it would be any more daunting than playing Madrid tbh. We're capable of beating both over 90 minutes. We'll need to be at our best (which we very rarely have this season) but we're more than capable of it.

Barcelona won't relish playing United in the final, they'll think they can win but they won't be complacent.
                                                                                                                      Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
                                                                                                                        "I am incandescent with rage" is going to be my youtube comment of choice from now on

Comment

lol, the BBV has moved Yiyun Li in from 8/1 to 3/1

good work men

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X