This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Keane View Post
    I think probably similar to yourself, it's something I've always been sort of interested in and just think it would be a cool pastime to get into.

A good reason to get out of the house on sunny evenings and stuff I guess
    That cunt Carlo has taken some great snaps and has a good eye for the lens.

There is a few factors to take into consideration, getting your hands on 2nd hand kit I was told is easier for some of the bigger brands like Canon/Nikon.

There is some other SLR's out in the market that I looked out as well were the Sony's but kinda kept my shopping to either Canon/Nikon so didn't really focus too much on them.

The body of the camera isn't the be all and end all it comes down to as well how good your lenses are really does make a huge difference. When doing the latest updates at the Deepstack my 50mm 1.8 hadn't arrived yet so was stuck with the stock 18-55mm lens which isn't the best for what I needed it for and I really felt you could tell the difference between the first 2 days and the last 2 days picture wise.

The lads really are a wealth of information on this stuff also I should mention Hailo as well he also has a keen eye for photography.
    "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface ste View Post
      Tickets purchased a long time ago, think will be about 6th time seeing them, new album due out just before the gig also so should be as epic as usual. Well worth grabbing a tic

New tune

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F0QsjIflZw
      Must look into getting some for myself, like the new tune.

Comment

Yeah like I said it's something I'd love to get into, I think something like Danny's one is probably my sort of price range.

EDIT: £341.99 on amazon at the moment...
        Yeah its a fine camera for sure. You'll enjoy the photography. Plenty of stuff on the interweb to get stuck into and endless tutorials on youtube.

You can get some cracking photos when this country allows some decent sunlight in
        NextStopWhoKnows

Comment

Se7en starting on TCM now.
          Pining for Wa'erford

Comment

Hey guys, I know it is early. But been seeing all the home games the last while is giving me a taste again to donate to you fkers. Anyone fancy a game? NLH preferable though. I don't have much left on stars after the flips last time but can manage a few.

I don't be staying up late like you lot. But I do have a Berry Cider on my laptop table In case you are missing Michelle
            Last edited by MrsFlushdraw; 12-03-11, 21:05.

Comment

Yeah like I said it's something I'd love to get into, I think something like Danny's one is probably my sort of price range.

EDIT: £341.99 on amazon at the moment...
              She would be a fine camera for sure, as the cunt Carlo () pointed out loads of free tutorials out there for beginners to get stuck into.

People say the boards photography forum is suppose to be good but haven't put anything up there yet or really gotten too involved with it.

Originally posted by sligboi View Post
              Se7en starting on TCM now.
              What a movie one of my favourite ever! "what's in the box?"
              Last edited by tylerdurden94; 12-03-11, 21:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Four of a Kind View Post
                Yeah its a fine camera for sure. You'll enjoy the photography. Plenty of stuff on the interweb to get stuck into and endless tutorials on youtube.

You can get some cracking photos when this country allows some decent sunlight in
                What's the difference between that camera and an SLR?

Comment

What's the difference between that camera and an SLR?
                  SLR = Single Lens Reflex....

Basically when you are looking through the viewfinder you are looking through the lens not at an electronic screen.
                  May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Just realised I missed my 2k post. I had a long post with graphs and everything ready to prove why you should always have a wank before a major tournament. I'll have to save it for 3k.
                    "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFB View Post
                      Just realised I missed my 2k post. I had a long post with graphs and everything ready to prove why you should always have a wank before a major tournament. I'll have to save it for 3k.
                      Get posting imo.
                      Pining for Wa'erford

Comment

I don't know. Post# 2020 has a nice ring to it.

Comment

No one for a home game? ah come on guys. I would rather send my money your way

Comment

The Lincoln Lawyer looks great.

Hopefully Marissa gets the girls out again

Comment

Waterford footballers pick up their second win of the league tonight. Great chance of staying up in division 3 now

Comment

Originally posted by bp_me View Post
                                SLR = Single Lens Reflex....

Basically when you are looking through the viewfinder you are looking through the lens not at an electronic screen.
                                Are they a lot better or...?

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                  No one for a home game? ah come on guys. I would rather send my money your way
                                  I have a magnificent $16.33 left on Stars and it's yours for the taking if you get something organised. Would prefer NLHE too.

Anyone else?

Comment

I'll give a home game a spin

Comment

Went to see Battle Los Angeles yesterday and really put me in the mood for watching Independence Day started to watch it last night but crashed out so gonna watch it again now.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfPWpEKhgfk[/ame]

Seems Bubbleking has passed out from the drink so we should be ok for awhile or until MrsFlushdraw goes on a Berry Cider rampage

Comment

Originally posted by Bless You View Post
                                        I have a magnificent $16.33 left on Stars and it's yours for the taking if you get something organised. Would prefer NLHE too.

Anyone else?
                                        I can set games up no probs (I think lol) lets see if we can get a few of us before I do it. Will check about the home game clubs. I set one up a while back

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                          Went to see Battle Los Angeles yesterday and really put me in the mood for watching Independence Day started to watch it last night but crashed out so gonna watch it again now.

MST3K Style Stinger for Independence Day. Moments after landing, Will Smith punches out an alien invader that is apparently actually strong enough to kill s...

Seems Bubbleking has passed out from the drink so we should be ok for awhile or until MrsFlushdraw goes on a Berry Cider rampage
                                          I will be having a couple of glasses only, I don't really like drinking in the house. My cousins who were visiting last weekend left a couple of the cans so thought I would try it

Comment

Depends on what you wanna use each for really, each has pro's and con's suppose if you really wanna get into photography an SLR is the way to go about it.

Comment

You get exactly what you pay for. If you need the performance then yes.
                                              May you live in interesting times!

Comment

I will be having a couple of glasses only, I don't really like drinking in the house. My cousins who were visiting last weekend left a couple of the cans so thought I would try it
                                                I think that's how Michelle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! starts out

Comment

Take Me Out is amazing.

"Why is your light still on?"
                                                  "Oops, I thought I'd switched it off already!"

Comment

Set one ujp using I think CourierC's club.

333819 is the club ID, there are 10 already in it. We are all admins.

Will hunt for the password in a tic

Game starting at 10.00pm
                                                    $3 rebuy NLH

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                      Take Me Out is amazing.

"Why is your light still on?"
                                                      "Oops, I thought I'd switched it off already!"
                                                      [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZGcw9HHOkU[/ame]
                                                      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Mary Harney set it up. Found this a few pages back for activation code

Club:IPB HomeGame
                                                        Activation code:44556677

Comment

Set one ujp using I think CourierC's club.

333819 is the club ID, there are 10 already in it. We are all admins.

Will hunt for the password in a tic

Game starting at 10.00pm
                                                          $3 rebuy NLH
                                                          Lol. not my club anyway Have you not got access to Mr Flushdraws club?

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                            I think that's how Michelle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! starts out
                                                            Yeh but she doesn't have a baby to get up with in the morning!

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                              We don't need Flushdraw I say it was Mary Harneys club, just your name comes up first on the list.

Not sure how we accept members but I am sure someone will.

Comment

We don't need Flushdraw I say it was Mary Harneys club, just your name comes up first on the list.

Not sure how we accept members but I am sure someone will.
                                                                Only the person who set it up can accept people. I can post my club, set up a game if ye wish and accept people. Won't be playing though.

Just post here if ye want me to..
                                                                Pining for Wa'erford

Comment

Originally posted by sligboi View Post
                                                                  Only the person who set it up can accept people. I can post my club, set up a game if ye wish and accept people. Won't be playing though.

Just post here if ye want me to..
                                                                  I thought since I am an admin I can accept. I have a club anyway. I will post that up. Just need to unreg from this one then

Comment

Can you unreg from that game? Will set up one quick for my own club

Comment

Mary Harney set it up. Found this a few pages back for activation code

Club:IPB HomeGame
                                                                      Activation code:44556677
                                                                      Have applied for this one, someone needs to accept me. (for who I am)

Comment

I thought since I am an admin I can accept. I have a club anyway. I will post that up. Just need to unreg from this one then
                                                                        No admins have all the powers of the manager bar accepting people iirc
                                                                        Pining for Wa'erford

Comment

The G12 is basically a point n shoot camera(PNS) where's the D80 is your typical SLR. The major differences come in the form of the lens.

With the PNS the lens is fixed. As pointed out above, the differences depend on what you want it for.

A PNS will never fully match an SLR but they do a very, very good job. I've a mate who's a professional photography and he recommended the G12 to me as a semi-replacement camera for the reasons I stated above(ie. travel). He uses the G12 alot and has taken some fantastic shots with it. Depending on the occasion he leaves his Nikon at home and just brings the G12 as it can cope with what he wants to do.

In saying that, as Danny said, if your thinking of getting into photography your best bet is an SLR.

That G12 i bought cost €450 which is pretty steep but again you get what you pay for and I'm very pleased with the shots its producing.
                                                                          NextStopWhoKnows

Comment

Can you unreg from that game? Will set up one quick for my own club
                                                                            Just did unreg.Looks like were all admins on that though.
                                                                            Id prefer a €1 omaha rebuy though. Not in any mood for anything other than flips

Comment

I will set a game up on my own one Flushdraws follies

222893

activation code : werewolf

Will do it for starting 10.15

Comment

222893

In thanks

Comment

Just did unreg.Looks like were all admins on that though.
                                                                                  Id prefer a €1 omaha rebuy though. Not in any mood for anything other than flips
                                                                                  This sounds good also

Comment

222893

Cheers, though 10 min blinds. 1 min would be more suitable for me

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                                      This sounds good also
                                                                                      want me to set that up then? for what time?

Comment

CC - I thought we couldn't accept people? Just got your invite to the yamaha

Comment

Looking for staking for a $3+30c home game. Looks like easy money, yum yum.
                                                                                          X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                          Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

CC - I thought we couldn't accept people? Just got your invite to the yamaha
                                                                                            This is all new to me. I tried and failed to set up an omaha rebuy. Not sure how it works at all

Comment

[NSFW="Cooler Beanie"][/NSFW]
                                                                                              Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

This is all new to me. I tried and failed to set up an omaha rebuy. Not sure how it works at all
                                                                                                We cant accept new people. I can set it up with my club if you want?

I am new to it too, so we will get there eventually!

Comment

Ok, I have set up the PLO tourney for CC, called Collies Club and is starting at 22.30

Comment

[NSFW="Cooler Beans"][/NSFW]

Comment

Let me in quick!

Comment

Taking money off Mods/"Gooners" is so sweet.
                                                                                                        Next DOQ bet please Mr Flushdraw?

PS - I take it all back, BAN the Clonmel 1.
                                                                                                        Long live the King

Comment

222893

applied
                                                                                                          48

Comment

Originally posted by stoneystonerson View Post
                                                                                                            applied
                                                                                                            Can i join?

Comment

Any more games count me in

Comment

Originally posted by Percy007 View Post
                                                                                                                Any more games count me in
                                                                                                                Did you join my club?

Comment

The famous (fictional) World War II cryptographer, Lawrence Waterhouse, developed an interesting theory involving mapping his levels of horniness relative to his ability to crack codes. As we all know, Poker is just maths with a few human elements mixed in, but can mostly be defined through various probability distributions. I’m not going to claim that a person’s ability to do maths is proportional to their ability to play poker, but Waterhouse’s findings in regards to the effects of his horniness on his concentration levels are certainly relevant to the game we play.

Excerpts from the Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. The back-story here is that Waterhouse has been sent to Australia to finish off the few Japanese naval codes that he hasn’t already cracked. There he falls in love with his roommate’s cousin:

Waterhouse has been chewing his way through exotic Nip code systems at the rate of about one a week, but after he sees Mary Smith in the parlor of Mrs. McTeague’s boarding house, his production rate drops to near zero. Arguably, it goes negative, for sometimes when he reads the morning newspaper, its plaintext scrambles into gibberish before his eyes, and he is unable to extract any useful information.

Despite his and Alan Turing’s disagreements about whether the human brain is a Turing machine, he has to admit that Turing wouldn’t have too much trouble writing a set of instructions to simulate the brain functions of Lawrence Pritchard Waterhouse.

Waterhouse seeks happiness. He achieves it by breaking Nip code systems and playing the pipe organ. But since pipe organs are in short supply, his happiness level ends up being totally dependent on breaking codes.

He cannot break codes (hence, cannot be happy) unless his mind is clear. Now suppose that mental clarity is designated by C(m), which is normalized, or calibrated, in such a way that it is always the case that

0 <=C(m) < 1

where C(m) = 0 indicates a totally clouded mind and C(m) = 1 is Godlike clarity—an unattainable divine state of infinite intelligence. If the number of messages Waterhouse decrypts, in a given day, is designated by N(decrypts), then it will be governed by C(m) in roughly the following way:

Clarity of mind (C(m)) is affected by any number of factors, but by far the most important is horniness, which might be designated by σ, for obvious anatomical reasons that Waterhouse finds amusing at this stage of his emotional development.

Horniness begins at zero at time t=t(m) (immediately following ejaculation) and increases from there as a linear function of time:

The only way to drop it back to zero is to arrange another ejaculation.

There is a critical threshold σ(c) such that when σ > σ(c) it becomes impossible for Waterhouse to concentrate on anything, or, approximately,

which amounts to saying that the moment σ rises above the threshold σ(c) it becomes totally impossible for Waterhouse to break Nipponese cryptographic systems. This makes it impossible for him to achieve happiness (unless there is a pipe organ handy, which there isn’t).

Typically, it takes two to three days for σ to climb above σ after an ejaculation:

Critical, then, to the maintenance of Waterhouse’s sanity is the ability to ejaculate every two to three days. As long as he can arrange this, σ exhibits a classic sawtooth-wave pattern, optimally with the peaks at or near σ(c) wherein the grey zones represent periods during which he is completely useless to the war effort.

So as we can see, in order to be able to play poker well, it is vital that a man ejaculates within a reasonable timeframe before playing poker. At the very least, you should make sure you’re not going into a long session or major tournament feeling at all frisky. But Waterhouse’s further discoveries are deeply troubling:

Now, when he was at Pearl Harbor, he discovered something that, in retrospect, should have been profoundly disquieting. Namely, that ejaculations obtained in a whorehouse (i.e., provided by the ministrations of an actual human female) seemed to drop σ below the level that Waterhouse could achieve through executing a Manual Override. In other words, the post-ejaculatory horniness level was not always equal to zero, as the naive theory propounded above assumes, but to some other quantity dependent upon whether the ejaculation was induced by Self or Other: σ = σ(self) after masturbation but σ = σ(other) upon leaving a whorehouse, where σ(self) > σ(other) an inequality to which Waterhouse’s notable successes in breaking certain Nip naval codes at Station Hypo were directly attributable, in that the many convenient whorehouses nearby made it possible for him to go somewhat longer between ejaculations.

Note the twelve-day period above, 19-30 May 1942, with only one brief interruption in productivity—during which Waterhouse (some might argue) personally won the Battle of Midway.

If he had thought about this, it would have bothered him, because σ(self) > σ(other) has troubling implications—particularly if the values of these quantities w.r.t. the all-important σ(c) are not fixed. If it weren’t for this inequality, then Waterhouse could function as a totally self-contained and independent unit. But σ(self) > σ(other) implies that he is, in the long run, dependent on other human beings for his mental clarity and, therefore, his happiness. What a pain in the ass!
                                                                                                                  So, getting laid is far better for your ability to play poker than cracking one off! Bad news for the Mom’s basement types, I’m afraid, unless you can grind out enough cash for a hooker. But it gets worse for the single men of IPB. Love completely throws the whole system out of whack:
                                                                                                                  Perhaps he has avoided thinking about this precisely because it is so troubling. The week after he meets Mary Smith, he realizes that he is going to have to think about it a lot more.
                                                                                                                  Something about the arrival of Mary Smith on the scene has completely fouled up the whole system of equations. Now, when he has an ejaculation, his clarity of mind does not take the upwards jump that it should. He goes right back to thinking about Mary. So much for winning the war!

He goes out in search of whorehouses, hoping that good old reliable σ(other)will save his bacon. This is troublesome. When he was at Pearl, it was easy, and uncontroversial. But Mrs. McTeague’s boardinghouse is in a residential neighborhood, which, if it contains whorehouses, at least bothers to hide them. So Waterhouse has to travel downtown, which is not that easy in a place where internal-combustion vehicles are fueled by barbecues in the trunk. Furthermore Mrs. McTeague is keeping her eye on him. She knows his habits. If he starts coming back from work four hours late, or going out after dinner, he’ll have some explaining to do. And it had better be convincing, because she appears to have taken Mary Smith under one quivering gelatinous wing and is in a position to poison the sweet girl’s mind against Waterhouse. Not only that, he has to do much of his excuse-making in public, at the dinner table, which he shares with Mary’s cousin (whose first name turns out to be Rod).

But hey, Doolittle bombed Tokyo, didn’t he? Waterhouse should at least be able to sneak out to a whorehouse. It takes a week of preparations (during which he is completely unable to accomplish meaningful work because of the soaring σ level), but he manages it.
                                                                                                                  It helps a little, but only on the σ management level. Until recently, that was the only level and so it would have been fine. But now (as Waterhouse realizes through long contemplation during the hours when he should be breaking codes) a new factor has entered the system of equations that governs his behavior; he will have to write to Alan and tell him that some new instructions will have to be added to the Waterhouse simulation Turing machine. This new factor is FMSp, the Factor of Mary Smith Proximity.
                                                                                                                  In a simpler universe, FMSp, would be orthogonal to σ which is to say that the two factors would be entirely independent of each other. If it were thus, Waterhouse could continue the usual sawtooth-wave ejaculation management program with no changes. In addition, he would have to arrange to have frequent conversations with Mary Smith so that FMSp would remain as high as possible.

Alas! The universe is not simple. Far from being orthogonal, FMSp and σ are involved, as elaborately as the contrails of dogfighting airplanes. The old σ management scheme doesn’t work anymore. And a platonic relationship will actually make FMSp worse, not better. His life, which used to be a straightforward set of basically linear equations, has become a differential equation.

It is the visit to the whorehouse that makes him realize this. In the Navy, going to a whorehouse is about as controversial as pissing down the scuppers when you are on the high seas—the worst you can say about it is that, in other circumstances, it might seem uncouth. So Waterhouse has been doing it for years without feeling troubled in the slightest.

But he loathes himself during, and after, his first post-Mary-Smith whorehouse visit. He no longer sees himself through his own eyes but through hers—and, by extension, those of her cousin Rod and of Mrs. McTeague and of the whole society of decent God-fearing folk to whom he has never paid the slightest bit of attention until now.

It seems that the intrusion of FMSp into his happiness equation is just the thin edge of a wedge which leaves Lawrence Pritchard Waterhouse at the mercy of a vast number of uncontrollable factors, and requiring him to cope with normal human society. Horrifyingly, he now finds himself getting ready to go to a dance.
                                                                                                                  In conclusion, in order to be the best poker player you can possibly be, you should find someone you love and have as much sex with them as possible.
                                                                                                                  Attached Files
                                                                                                                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Joined flushdrawsfollies

Comment

Originally posted by Percy007 View Post
                                                                                                                      Joined flushdrawsfollies
                                                                                                                      Which one are you?

Comment

The one from Newry

Comment

Perhaps he has avoided thinking about this precisely because it is so troubling. The week after he meets Mary Smith, he realizes that he is going to have to think about it a lot more.
                                                                                                                          Something about the arrival of Mary Smith on the scene has completely fouled up the whole system of equations. Now, when he has an ejaculation, his clarity of mind does not take the upwards jump that it should. He goes right back to thinking about Mary. So much for winning the war!
                                                                                                                          Kept reading this by mistake as Marty Smyth.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X