this has to stop, for your own good
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Bad beat for Ken:

Mark Selby v Ken Doherty

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
        Ah Delia, the poor mans Helen Mirren with added buns mmmmmm
        Tony please answer the below , just say Yeigh or Neigh to the following. I've done the 1st two for you.

Helen Mirren - Yeigh
        Delia Smith - Yeigh
        Julie Walters ?
        Nearys Hughes ?
        Thelma Manfield ?
        Dana ?
        Linda Martin ?
        Gail Tilsley ?
        Nora batty ?
        Enda Parker (indiana) ?

Comment

Ibood hunt is going on atm

Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

Originally posted by Solskjaer View Post
            Tony please answer the below , just say Yeigh or Neigh to the following. I've done the 1st two for you.

Helen Mirren - Yeigh
            Delia Smith - Yeigh (bit over done now but up to 5 years ago absolutely no question about it)
            Julie Walters Yep
            Nearys Hughes Not then and not now
            Thelma Manfield ditto
            Dana Wash your mouth out with soap
            Linda Martin Never
            Gail Tilsley There was a time
            Nora batty Enda Parker (indiana) What, doyou think I'm some kind of pervert ?
            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Brag: The boss is gone for the week, leaving me in charge. He sent me a text last night before he headed off.

Gist of it anyway is providing no major hickups the money situation is going to be reviewed once he gets back. Not a major brag per say, but I am on a modest wage so it's a small victory for me.

Comment

take that!

Comment

Originally posted by phantom_lord View Post
                  I gave that a thumbs up when you posted it last night/this morning but there was an error and when I reloaded the page it was gone.

Anyways its just what the idiots deserve, everybody including their own union gave them good advice, whats is wrong with these people.
                  'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

Anyone download films to the PS3?

I currently use stagevu.com and the quality varies. Anyone got any better recommendations than this? Are there any HD sites available?

Comment

Why not just download films on yuor PC - > USB key -> PS3? Or just use an external hard drive, I've a 500gb one full of films and tv shows and it plays stuff off it perfectly
                      "In the world, there are many kings but there is only one God. I am God, I am El Tren" :{)

Comment

JBravado, I think you should hold a boards poll to name your baby. That's the sensible solution imo.

For anyone thinking of going to see Alice in Wonderland, save your money and wait for the download. Watchable but tbh utter shite
                        Looking for full or part time poker and betting writers. PM if interested.

Comment

It is understood the annual working hours will rise from around 600 to 850

So they work about 12 hours a week ... or 10 of my busy weeks per year, nice work if you can get it.

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post
                            Anyone ever had hmmm...."issues" when it came to deciding to on baby names. Herself is all set on a certain name (one which I like per say but will result in years of taunts and insults for the little punter).
                            Normally I have little or no say in any important decisions but feel I need to argue my case on this one,at the same time however dont want to crush dreams if thats always the name she has wanted-Proceed with caution???
                            As long as that facebook group "If we get 1,000,000 members my sister said she'll name her kid Megatron" isn't about your other half, I think you're ok...

(Cause they've over a million members! )
                            Last edited by Emmet; 11-03-10, 17:26.

Comment

Originally posted by TheVelvetFog View Post
                              Anyone download films to the PS3?

I currently use stagevu.com and the quality varies. Anyone got any better recommendations than this? Are there any HD sites available?
                              Don't bother downloading them to your PS3. So long as you have a proper router (most do), you can download TVersity and use the functionality of your PS3's media centre.

Its fantastic. I have my ext HDD connected to my computer upstairs, and can watch the films / play all the music on the PS3, all done through wireless connectivity.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-11W8DOLK78[/ame]

Comment

National Leprechaun Museum opened this week beside Jervis Street Luas stop if anyone wants to go and look for their Irish Open ticket from last year:

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post
                                  Anyone ever had hmmm...."issues" when it came to deciding to on baby names. Herself is all set on a certain name (one which I like per say but will result in years of taunts and insults for the little punter).
                                  Normally I have little or no say in any important decisions but feel I need to argue my case on this one,at the same time however dont want to crush dreams if thats always the name she has wanted-Proceed with caution???
                                  I dunno, Brunhilde is quite a nice name for a girl, you'll be glad of it when she's a teenager.

Comment

So they work about 12 hours a week ... or 10 of my busy weeks per year, nice work if you can get it.
                                    I knew people were gonna take this up wrong. Those hours are from pushback to engines off so if they were doing say double Londons which is a 10 hour day they have 'worked' only about 4, or a run to Boston including an overnight stay is 12 hours work but 48 hours away from home.
                                    Last edited by Guest; 11-03-10, 13:34.

Comment

I know they probably should have accepted the deal but Aer Lingus broke the news to them in a very unfeeling manner.

This was leaked from the meeting. For shame.

Right, please pay attention, your exits have been planned for one month from now. There are two exits, one over there by the roundabouts and another one at the side by Santry. If you need Oxeygen it will be on in two months so keep a few bob for that. Thank you for failing with Aer Lingus.

Comment

An Old one
                                        A Cavan couple visit the Doctor and ask him to watch them having sex to see
                                        > if they have a problem.
                                        >
                                        > Sexually curious and a little aroused he agrees to it. He watches them have
                                        > sex tells them he can see no problem and charges them €50 for his fee.
                                        >
                                        > They come back every week to the doctor for a month for the same reason and
                                        > every time he tells them he can see no problem.
                                        >
                                        > After a month (when the thrill has gone out of it for him) the doctor asks
                                        > why they keep coming back to him even though he repeatedly tells them they
                                        > have no problems sexually.
                                        >
                                        > The man explains to him....
                                        >
                                        > "My wife will catch us if we go to my house.....,
                                        >
                                        > Her husband will catch us if we go to hers......,
                                        >
                                        > The cheapest B&B around is €70........
                                        >
                                        > I give you €50.........
                                        >
                                        > And Quinn Health Care gives me €43 back!!!!"

Comment

whammo

don't mess with ze Germans imo

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                            I knew people were gonna take this up wrong. Those hours are from pushback to engines off so if they were doing say double Londons which is a 10 hour day they have 'worked' only about 4, or a run to Boston including an overnight stay is 12 hours work but 48 hours away from home.
                                            So they are the very same then as anyone else who travels for work.

Comment

No, because to up hours worked significantly would force the employees to be out of their homes for unrealistic levels. You can see this, go on, I know you can.
                                              "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                No, because to up hours worked significantly would force the employees to be out of their homes for unrealistic levels. You can see this, go on, I know you can.
                                                LL, do you think they were right to reject the plan (you know, the one their own union told them to accept)?

Comment

but they get their hotel paid for if they stop over.
                                                  i might give up my current studyin and go down this route instead...

Comment

Yeah in terms of the US trips, but the bulk of it is intra-European stuff. I was just making the point that they don't just go to Rome twice a week and thats their hours maxed out.
                                                    They have to be in an hour before scheduled departure and thats not included in the working limitations, same with time on the ground at the destination airport etc. Coupled with the chaotic working patterns its certainly not the picnic that '600 hours a year' makes it out to be.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                      National Leprechaun Museum opened this week beside Jervis Street Luas stop if anyone wants to go and look for their Irish Open ticket from last year:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...265968910.html
                                                      It reminds me of 'Homerland' from The Simpsons.

In Homer's plans, we see Homer standing below a crudely painted sign
                                                      announcing, "Homerland, Admission $50". He collects the admission fee
                                                      from Ralph Wiggum, who's at the head of a long line of children waiting
                                                      to get in. At "Trampoline Wold", Martin, Sherri, Terri, and another boy
                                                      bounce happily on the trampoline. At "Muckville USA", Lewis and two
                                                      other children play in a mud pit, while Nelson throws a ball of mud at
                                                      one of the children. At "Fort Adventure", Homer has built a fort out of
                                                      the aforementioned soiled mattresses. As Milhouse crawls out of hit, he
                                                      observes, "It smells funny in there." Homer contradicts him, "No it
                                                      doesn't."

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceWZ624wBVA&feature=player_embedded[/ame]
                                                      Last edited by Lord Sir Banter; 11-03-10, 14:13.
                                                      X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                      Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                        LL, do you think they were right to reject the plan (you know, the one their own union told them to accept)?
                                                        No I don't. They should have seen the writing on the wall (i.e. costs have to be slashed, things cannot continue as they are) and I don't feel sorry for them now.

BUT

That doesn't mean that you stick the boot in on them though and start making light of their working arrangements. It isn't like 'every other job'. And that is a distinct issue from whether they made a silly decision as a group or not.
                                                        "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

It seems fking hilarious that someone would choose to be an Air Hostess (using the old romantic name) and then complain about time away from home. It that not the feckin attraction of these jobs? Anyway it's time some of these wimmins with the faded looks that still only attract the Stewelpeters of this world were traded in for newer models. Customer service is important and I need young hawt smilers to help me choose Aer LIngus, the dour ol bags on some of the planes may me feer the ol' crashing a little less.

*despite my apparent emotive language I couldn't give a toss either way.

Aer Lingua dropout, go back to high school

Comment

Sam, just call the baby whatever your want to call it and then just say that it means whatever she wants them in Irish.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                              Yeah in terms of the US trips, but the bulk of it is intra-European stuff. I was just making the point that they don't just go to Rome twice a week and thats their hours maxed out.
                                                              They have to be in an hour before scheduled departure and thats not included in the working limitations, same with time on the ground at the destination airport etc. Coupled with the chaotic working patterns its certainly not the picnic that '600 hours a year' makes it out to be.
                                                              Of course I know all this (Except I do believe that turnaround time at the remote airport is counted as working time) and I am blatantly using the headline figures to make a political point.

I regularly travel 20+ hour trips to spend indeterminate amounts of time working 14+ hour days in absurd conditions. I get a fair but not top of the range per diem, I can get days in Lieu for weekends worked and travelling but I can't ever find time to take all my own allocated holidays in a year never mind extra days, and there is no such thing as overtime just a job that needs to get done. The reason that none of this is a problem for me or my colleagues is that we understand that if we don't get the job done there won't be any more job, that we are not owed anything by our employers and do not have any entitlement to anything more than we can earn ourselves.

Comment

Of course I know all this (Except I do believe that turnaround time at the remote airport is counted as working time) and I am blatantly using the headline figures to make a political point.

I regularly travel 20+ hour trips to spend indeterminate amounts of time working 14+ hour days in absurd conditions. I get a fair but not top of the range per diem, I can get days in Lieu for weekends worked and travelling but I can't ever find time to take all my own allocated holidays in a year never mind extra days, and there is no such thing as overtime just a job that needs to get done. The reason that none of this is a problem for me or my colleagues is that we understand that if we don't get the job done there won't be any more job, that we are not owed anything by our employers and do not have any entitlement to anything more than we can earn ourselves.
                                                                I keep getting a vision in my mind that you are an international hitman for the C.I.E...
                                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                  I keep getting a vision in my mind that you are an international hitman for the C.I.E...
                                                                  CIE have their own hitmen here....

Comment

I don't get the 'I'm too busy to take my holidays' thing. I worked in one of the great capitalist sweatshops where most of mid-level staff were putting in 60 hour weeks and struggled to take their holidays.
                                                                    When I was off for a couple of weeks in the Summer I got an email from the boss asking me to contribute to xyz project that was going on during this time and saying 'I know your on holidays but this isn't acceptable'. My reply was something to the tune of 'its the employers responsibility to provide adequate cover during periods of annual leave, see ya in a week' (thankfully I got another offer during the holidays!)
                                                                    It can't be a case of 'oh if I don't bend over and take it then there won't be a job'. They have legal responsibilities and if employees allow them to flout these and take the piss then we'll end up with the live-to-work culture that exists in the US *shudder*.

Comment

They have legal responsibilities and if employees allow them to flout these and take the piss then we'll end up with the live-to-work culture that exists in the US *shudder*.
                                                                      I think in quite a few work places (Financial Services) that culture is already pretty much in place

Comment

I don't get the 'I'm too busy to take my holidays' thing. I worked in one of the great capitalist sweatshops where most of mid-level staff were putting in 60 hour weeks and struggled to take their holidays.
                                                                        When I was off for a couple of weeks in the Summer I got an email from the boss asking me to contribute to xyz project that was going on during this time and saying 'I know your on holidays but this isn't acceptable'. My reply was something to the tune of 'its the employers responsibility to provide adequate cover during periods of annual leave, see ya in a week' (thankfully I got another offer during the holidays!)
                                                                        It can't be a case of 'oh if I don't bend over and take it then there won't be a job'. They have legal responsibilities and if employees allow them to flout these and take the piss then we'll end up with the live-to-work culture that exists in the US *shudder*.
                                                                        But they aren't flouting the laws, if they were they would have to answer for it. I have been forced in the past by HR to use up days because I have too many and health and safety rules etc. There was one year I used more than my allocation.

Similarly I just don't get the 'its the employers responsibility to provide adequate cover during periods of annual leave, see ya in a week' attitude. I suppose if you had a really shitty employer who was taking the piss, but at the heart of this is the question, who is responsible to maintain your job, you or your employer?
                                                                        I know and trust that the people here won't be calling me for anything more than quick questions unless it really is important during Cheltenham next week and they know that I won't be answering the phone between 2 and 6 anyway
                                                                        Last edited by Strewelpeter; 11-03-10, 14:52.

Comment

Most of them will be offered immediate re-employment, but on lower pay and conditions.
                                                                          Is that not illegal?

Comment

They have legal responsibilities and if employees allow them to flout these and take the piss then we'll end up with the live-to-work culture that exists in the US *shudder*.
                                                                            I think the difference between you and Stewelpeter might be that you have a "them" and "us" perspective on owners / management and employees whereas he considers himself part of a collective effort that is his company.

Ironically this makes Stewelpeter not the capitalist, proletariat stomping, pigdog that he may be portrayed as among de unioners here, and more a post-modern socialist who has been inculcated into the principles of socio-technical systems theory.

Comment

People in Ireland need to stop thinking that they are doing their employer a favour all the time.

Having a job is a mutually beneficial circumstance, and should be seen as such.

You should treat your employer/job as you would treat any partnership, with respect, not being a pedant with "oh, I worked till 12 last night, legally I cant come in till 11" and other such labour laws.

You may not work in a co-op, but if you treat your work as a co-op, you will be in far greater favour with the higher-ups, and also you may well find you enjoy your work more.

Comment

I think the difference between you and Stewelpeter might be that you have a "them" and "us" perspective on owners / management and employees whereas he considers himself part of a collective effort that is his company.

Ironically this makes Stewelpeter not the capitalist, proletariat stomping, pigdog that he may be portrayed as among de unioners here, and more a post-modern socialist who has been inculcated into the principles of socio-technical systems theory.
                                                                                post of the day

Comment

Well I did have with that particular employer alright. It's probably a bad example because I had nothing but contempt for the place. I suppose if you like what you're doing it certainly works both ways but I'm very French when it comes to work/life balance! I had a job in Holland once where we had 49 days holidays. Arnhem was not a nice place tho, so I didn't even end up working there 49 days!

Comment

Anyone here familiar with Vardis? Or the guys at Vardis.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by emmet02 View Post

You should treat your employer/job as you would treat any partnership, with respect, not being a pedant with "oh, I worked till 12 last night, legally I cant come in till 11" and other such labour laws.
                                                                                      See I'd flip that on its head and see them as the one's taking the piss by wanting you in before 11 after you going out of your way for them.

Comment

See I'd flip that on its head and see them as the one's taking the piss by wanting you in before 11 after you going out of your way for them.
                                                                                        try "We" and "Us" instead...

Me vs them < We

Comment

Us, Me, Them...does it make a difference if the company has, say 20 employees V a company with say, 600 ?
                                                                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by emmet02 View Post
                                                                                            try "We" and "Us" instead...

Me vs them < We
                                                                                            Have to say I'd pretty much never adopt that attitude. A job is a means to an end and I don't think I'd ever define myself by it.

Edit: Oleras has a point. It makes more sense in a very small organisation

Comment

I like to think of myself as a small farmer who writes software instead of growing spuds ... is this the same as wot you said

Comment

Any excuse to play my favourite union song

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iAIM02kv0g[/ame]

Comment

I like to think of myself as a small farmer who writes software instead of growing spuds
                                                                                                  you're not that small tbh

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                    you're not that small tbh
                                                                                                    But I'm pretty good at whinging

Comment

But I'm pretty good at whinging
                                                                                                      join the queue

"a nation of self-flagellating, whinging masochists"

Comment

Also BBV regulars on high-horse about being hard working need a lesson in irony imo

Comment

Id love to have a job. It's nearly 18months now since my last one and no light at the end of the tunnell yet .

Comment

There is 1 spot on my team for the game in the Jackpot this sunday if any wants to join Myself, Smurph and Kinsem.

Comment

1,000 photos of excellent Cleavage. 100% NSFW

Comment

Speaking of union songs, Billy Bragg has some great works in fairness - most of his better one are non-poitical - love songs and the like. This is very good.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5heTJ65bdhU[/ame]
                                                                                                                "I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes art. You read a book and the writer touches something in you that you would not have brought out of yourself. He makes you discover something interesting in your life. If you are living like an animal, what is the point? What makes the day interesting is that we try to transform it into something that is close to art." - Arsene Wenger

Comment

Our reducdancy terms are now being put to the vote in here, although I don't have a vote as I am not in the union (IBOA). If they reject these terms I am going to have to get a baseball bat and break some whingy feckers legs for it.

Comment

Originally posted by DAMO72 View Post
                                                                                                                    There is 1 spot on my team for the game in the Jackpot this sunday if any wants to join Myself, Smurph and Kinsem.
                                                                                                                    Damn, its the charity gig this weekend . I was hoping to play SE tonight ( If I get out of work in time ) but I'm booked to play Jackpot tomorrow night as well.
                                                                                                                    Ah feck it two nights pokah in a row, sure what harm could it do me?

Comment

Also BBV regulars on high-horse about being hard working need a lesson in irony imo
                                                                                                                      Very true. My other half is completing her masters and moans about no time in the day and spends most evenings
                                                                                                                      pretending to read her books whilst toiling away on framville. She keeps sending me chickens but I ignore it as they are not real chickens.

Another thing, If I make a post on facebook (I'm soo busy) she will 'like it' witinn 3 minutes and everyone who knows us
                                                                                                                      must LOL on their sofa thinking, she could just tell him that from the other room surely. In the meantime where is my dinner?

These old expressions need updating, I will name just two but there are many that are just wrong.

Years ago it was suggested ' that an apple a day kept the doctor away '
                                                                                                                      However my doctor is a muslim and won't come near the place if I've
                                                                                                                      just eaten a bacon sandwich (nom nom) So I eat one every day now to stay healthy.

A rolling stone gathers no Moss? Have you seen the head on Keith Richards lately?

Comment

Delighted for the cabin crews. They made an utterly retarded decision and I am delighted that it has cost them. Its not like they wouldn't have an idea what would happen if they refused the deal. If costs gotta be cut then they gotta be cut.

Its not like its a high-end job where they have any sort of leverage over employers. They are really easy to replace and the job requires zero skill. Serious lols at them thinking they had any sort of leverage at all. Lolunionaments.
                                                                                                                        Foldaramus et foldarabimus

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                                                          Our reducdancy terms are now being put to the vote in here, although I don't have a vote as I am not in the union (IBOA). If they reject these terms I am going to have to get a baseball bat and break some whingy feckers legs for it.
                                                                                                                          lol Give those terms to Raoul's people and they'd bite your hand off!!
                                                                                                                          ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X