X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
      Anyone else see Brazil, a 1985 movie by Terry Gilliam? Trying to decide if it is pure genius...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Wh2b1eZFUM
      You havn't seen it if you need to ask. Pure genius. All time top ten movie for anyone who really likes film.
      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Comment

Comment

Right BBV:

I am in the final of a debating competition tonight. The motion is:

"This House would grant journalists the right to protect their sources".

I am opposing the motion.

Just thought I'd see if anyone has any novel points I hadn't thought of. The basic thrust of my argument is that we live in a determinist society and that journalists can choose to protect their sources if they so wish but that, equally, those choices must come with attendant consequences where they interfere with the rights of others or where they interfere with the legitimate administration of justice.
            You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
            World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
              You havn't seen it if you need to ask. Pure genius. All time top ten movie for anyone who really likes film.
              100% agree with this. one of the best films ever made.

Comment

can't understand how have never heard it mentioned before. it really is brilliant.
                Isn't it great when you stumble across something like that, I suppose you have seen most of his other films , you'll have recognised loads of stuff from the 12 Monkeys , THe Fisher King, The Crimson permanent section of the meaning of life etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                  Right BBV:

I am in the final of a debating competition tonight. The motion is:

"This House would grant journalists the right to protect their sources".

I am opposing the motion.

Just thought I'd see if anyone has any novel points I hadn't thought of. The basic thrust of my argument is that we live in a determinist society and that journalists can choose to protect their sources if they so wish but that, equally, those choices must come with attendant consequences where they interfere with the rights of others or where they interfere with the legitimate administration of justice.
                  Any thoughts on using the journalistic sensationalism angle, i.e. the journalist is basically free to make stuff up if he wishes, or is this irrelevant being covered in the laws around libel etc? Think about season 5 of the Wire for more examples perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                    Any thoughts on using the journalistic sensationalism angle, i.e. the journalist is basically free to make stuff up if he wishes, or is this irrelevant being covered in the laws around libel etc? Think about season 5 of the Wire for more examples perhaps.
                    Considered it but the other side will probably narrow it down to political stories pretty quick and I'd imagine Judge Mahon v Geraldine Kennedy and Colm Keena will be a large part of it.

Torts for defamation dont get into sources really. The defendant has to prove the truth of the allegation. The problem comes in revealing private or confidential information that IS true but which the journalist has no right to publish.
                    You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                    World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

I don't know enough about the laws protecting sources.

Does a journalist have to report an admitted previous crime by a source?

Does a journalist have to report a planned future crime by a source?
                      'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

LOL AerLingus cabin staff even more stupid than their union, 1100 redundancies to follow. FFS!

Comment

LOL AerLingus cabin staff even more stupid than their union, 1100 redundancies to follow. FFS!
                          So here we have a Union who agreed to cost cutting measures and you still give them no credit at all.

The staff are ridiculous in this intance.
                          'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

Originally posted by eagle eye View Post
                            So here we have a Union who agreed to cost cutting measures and you still give them no credit at all.

The staff are ridiculous in this intance.
                            LOL
                            No, I'm just saying that the staff are even stupider than the union.

I doubt any of it is going to matter much, if this crowd close the airport for a even a day the game is up for AerLingus. Maybe its all just too late anyway.
                            Fck knows who'd buy them, probably just going to have to close and have BA Air France come in and cherry pick the juicy routes.
                            Unlike the banks there may be a case to be made for propping up an unprofitable airline as being of 'Systemic' importance. But there ain't no money to do it because its all going in to Anglo. FFS!

Comment

Originally posted by Ste05 View Post
                              It's currently €30 to book a bag onto a Ryanair flight, how much more does it cost to just not book one and pay for one on the day? Or to put an extra one through??
                              Anyone know the answer to this??

Comment

LOL
                                How can you call a Union that came to an agreement to cut staff and pay stupid?
                                Surely they have done a great job to try and keep as many jobs as possible?

Or are you going to blame them for the staff not taking the deal?

Comment

I could probably find out by going to the website, but then again, so could you.

Comment

seems out of date
                                    Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

Comment

Have you tried the ryanair website?! My guess would be €40 in the airport.
                                        Why would I go to the website?

Comment

Despite my slagging I actually think that its great that there are people like you and Kayroo willing to get involved and trying to change things.

Unfortunately I know how that movie ends.

Comment

Comment

Anyone watching Roy?
                                              Poor fucker.
                                              X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                              Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

I can't believe you posted that voluntarily whilst sober P_L?

Also, HH, it isn't me asking about it, so I have no intention of going to the website. I was just telling Ste to do his own digging.

Comment

This Tiger Woods/Paddy Power thing is very funny. Fair play to Powers.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Rigger View Post
                                                      Anyone watching Roy?
                                                      Poor fucker.
                                                      ?

Comment

Comment

Also, HH, it isn't me asking about it, so I have no intention of going to the website. I was just telling Ste to do his own digging.
                                                          I did and I got the link Rasta found and it says bags cost €15 each and €35 for 2, but when I went to actually book it it was €30 each and €100 for 2 bags (per person). [EDIT: I see it's €15 each way so that fee is up to date, but I still can't find the cost of checking in a bag at the airport]

I tried googling it too and on ask.com there was a similar question and it looked like it might cost as much as €70 a bag checked in on the day. And if you had booked a bag in and wanted to get another on the day it could be €6 per kilo, so a 15 kilo bag could cost another €90 if I had 1 booked.

The reason I'm asking is I'm booking my flights to Italy for my wedding in June and I'm not certain how many bags we'll need as we're planning on shipping stuff over for it, but that might fall through, and the last thing I want is to get bill for a few hundred euro when I get to the airport if we end up having to bring an extra couple of bags...

I'll probably end up emailing them to find out, but just thought someone here must have had a similar experience or knew of any "tricks" to getting around Ryanair charges.
                                                          Last edited by Ste05; 05-03-10, 17:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
                                                            ?

Comment

should i abuse my mod powers here? i thought it was kinda funny, guess not
                                                              Last edited by Denny Crane; 05-03-10, 17:38.

Comment

Comment

I remember paying ÂŁ25stg coming back from London a while back and mates having to pay 40e coming back from Italy. These would have both been > 2 years ago though.

Comment

I did and I got the link Rasta found and it says bags cost €15 each and €35 for 2, but when I went to actually book it it was €30 each and €100 for 2 bags (per person). [EDIT: I see it's €15 each way so that fee is up to date, but I still can't find the cost of checking in a bag at the airport]

I tried googling it too and on ask.com there was a similar question and it looked like it might cost as much as €70 a bag checked in on the day. And if you had booked a bag in and wanted to get another on the day it could be €6 per kilo, so a 15 kilo bag could cost another €90 if I had 1 booked.

The reason I'm asking is I'm booking my flights to Italy for my wedding in June and I'm not certain how many bags we'll need as we're planning on shipping stuff over for it, but that might fall through, and the last thing I want is to get bill for a few hundred euro when I get to the airport if we end up having to bring an extra couple of bags...

I'll probably end up emailing them to find out, but just thought someone here must have had a similar experience or knew of any "tricks" to getting around Ryanair charges.
                                                                    It says it in the chart €35

Comment

would it not be easier to fly with Aer Lingus? Think they're a lot more flexible.
                                                                      I'll be looking into them alright, but last time I checked they were over €100 dearer in total and believe it or not, the airport Ryanair fly into in Rome is actually handier for us then the Aer Lingus one. Also, there's gonna be over 100 people flying into Rome for it and we've told all of them to use Ryanair cos it's cheaper and nearer so it'd be a bit mad if we then turned around and flew in with Aer Lingus...

Although if they're cheaper after bags etc. I'll be using them alright...

Comment

Originally posted by RasTa View Post
                                                                        It says it in the chart €35
                                                                        That's if it's "Booked on ryanair.com" I'd be sure it's more expensive then that on the day.

EDIT: LOL, just read the full description on the right hand chart and it says "Booked via a Call Centre* or Airport" I obviously stopped reading it after the call centre part. So it's €35 for the first bag and €70 for a second. Nice one Rasta.
                                                                        Last edited by Ste05; 05-03-10, 17:47.

Comment

It's currently €30 to book a bag onto a Ryanair flight, how much more does it cost to just not book one and pay for one on the day? Or to put an extra one through??
                                                                          You need a balloon, a wig, a marker, some of your clothes, an episode of ID theft, a passport of stolen ID, and then travel back in time 2 months and book a seat beside you for Mr X for 1 cent. You dress your bag up as him and bam, a good 20 odd Euro in savings. The passport purchase for your bag man eats into those savings so I recommend robbing a hooker for that.

And if all that seems a bit outlandish then be thankful I didn't suggest my other plan which involves still buying a seat in advance for 1 cent but this time buying the seat for a very fat man and getting him to swallow your bag like a big fat bag mule.

edit: just saw the reason for the trip. Have a wonderful image of soon-to-be Mrs Ste05 sitting beside him on the plane sans luggage wearing her wedding dress and a face like thunder on her
                                                                          Last edited by hotspur; 05-03-10, 17:56.

Comment

That's if it's "Booked on ryanair.com" I'd be sure it's more expensive then that on the day.

It states "Booked via a Call Centre* or Airport"

€15 for booked on Ryanair.

Comment

Originally posted by RasTa View Post
                                                                              It states "Booked via a Call Centre* or Airport"

€15 for booked on Ryanair.
                                                                              You got there just before my not-so-Ninja Edit.

Also, LOL at a "bag mule"

Comment

An email I got today.

Explanation of Different Economic Models

SOCIALISM
                                                                                You have 2 cows.
                                                                                You give one to your neighbour.

COMMUNISM
                                                                                You have 2 cows.
                                                                                The State takes both and gives you some milk.

FASCISM
                                                                                You have 2 cows.
                                                                                The State takes both and sells you some milk.

NAZISM
                                                                                You have 2 cows.
                                                                                The State takes both and shoots you.

BUREAUCRATISM
                                                                                You have 2 cows.
                                                                                The State takes both, shoots one, milks the other, and then throws the milk away.

TRADITIONAL CAPITALISM
                                                                                You have two cows.
                                                                                You sell one and buy a bull.
                                                                                Your herd multiplies, and the economy grows.
                                                                                You sell them and retire on the income.

SURREALISM
                                                                                You have two giraffes.
                                                                                The government requires you to take harmonica lessons.

AN AMERICAN CORPORATION
                                                                                You have two cows.
                                                                                You sell one, and force the other to produce the milk of four cows.
                                                                                Later, you hire a consultant to analyse why the cow has dropped dead.

ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND VENTURE CAPITALISM
                                                                                You have two cows.
                                                                                You sell three of them to your publicly listed company, using letters of credit opened by your brother-in-law at the bank, then execute a debt/equity swap with an associated general offer so that you get all four cows back, with a tax exemption for five cows.
                                                                                The milk rights of the six cows are transferred via an intermediary to a Cayman Island Company secretly owned by the majority shareholder who sells the rights to all seven cows back to your listed company.
                                                                                The annual report says the company owns eight cows, with an option on one more.
                                                                                You sell one cow to buy a new president of the United States , leaving you with nine cows. No balance sheet provided with the release.
                                                                                The public then buys your bull.

A FRENCH CORPORATION
                                                                                You have two cows.
                                                                                You go on strike, organize a riot, and block the roads, because you want three cows.

A JAPANESE CORPORATION
                                                                                You have two cows.
                                                                                You redesign them so they are one-tenth the size of an ordinary cow and produce twenty times the milk.
                                                                                You then create a clever cow cartoon image called 'Cowkimon' and market it worldwide.

A GERMAN CORPORATION
                                                                                You have two cows.
                                                                                You re-engineer them so they live for 100 years, eat once a month, and milk themselves.

AN ITALIAN CORPORATION
                                                                                You have two cows, but you don't know where they are.
                                                                                You decide to have lunch.

A RUSSIAN CORPORATION
                                                                                You have two cows.
                                                                                You count them and learn you have five cows.
                                                                                You count them again and learn you have 42 cows.
                                                                                You count them again and learn you have 2 cows.
                                                                                You stop counting cows and open another bottle of vodka.

A SWISS CORPORATION
                                                                                You have 5000 cows. None of them belong to you.
                                                                                You charge the owners for storing them.

A CHINESE CORPORATION
                                                                                You have two cows.
                                                                                You have 300 people milking them.
                                                                                You claim that you have full employment, and high bovine productivity.
                                                                                You arrest the newsman who reported the real situation.

AN INDIAN CORPORATION
                                                                                You have two cows.
                                                                                You worship them.

A BRITISH CORPORATION
                                                                                You have two cows.
                                                                                Both are mad.

AN IRAQI CORPORATION
                                                                                Everyone thinks you have lots of cows.
                                                                                You tell them that you have none.
                                                                                No-one believes you, so they bomb the crap out of you and invade your country.
                                                                                You still have no cows, but at least you are now a Democracy.

AN AUSTRALIAN CORPORATION
                                                                                You have two cows.
                                                                                Business seems pretty good.
                                                                                You close the office and go for a few beers to celebrate.

A WELSH CORPORATION
                                                                                You have two cows.
                                                                                The one on the left looks very attractive

Comment

Think im going to play a few donkaments tonight for the first time in ages. Prob be back in a few hours complaining!

Comment

RAG week next week

Wont be as good as last year but what the hell.

Early contender for the Rag Week song of 2010 imo:
                                                                                    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akruzLpEJlg[/ame]

To the residents of Galway: Yes, there will be alot of drunk students around Galway next week. Get over it. You have the Galway Races.

Comment

Originally posted by Icarus152 View Post
                                                                                      If I flip a coin,what are the odds of it landing on either side?
                                                                                      Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                                      50/50, although the answer you want is approximately 51/49. It depends on what side of the coin is facing upwards when you flip it.

However, the piece of research is flawed in that it assumes the same side is always facing upwards. If we take the rather more likely assumption that the upward facing side of the coin has a 50/50 chance of being either heads or tails (obv) and we exclude someone purposefully choosing to always have one side face up then the odds of it landing on either side revert to 50/50.

Don't always assume QI is right. They tend to present things as facts that really need more information about the theory to be properly understood in context.
                                                                                      50/50 is wrong.It doesn't matter which side is facing up.In a fair,human coin toss,the upward facing side at the beginning is always a 51/49 favorite to land.

The correct answer is the odds are aprox. 51/49 in favour of whichever side was facing up at the beginning of the flip.
                                                                                      Official Head Marshall of Waterford Gay Pride Festival 2015

Comment

Originally posted by hatedajacks View Post
                                                                                        Bringing the betterhalf to London for the weekend .Anyone recommend nice pubs/clubs to go to and maybe a restaurant as well.Staying near picadilly.
                                                                                        Just went to an irish bar around leicester sq 3 floors it was ok i guess very busy but downstairs would suit couple.

O neills i think they are a chain of pubs.
                                                                                        Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Originally posted by hatedajacks View Post
                                                                                          Bringing the betterhalf to London for the weekend .Anyone recommend nice pubs/clubs to go to and maybe a restaurant as well.Staying near picadilly.
                                                                                          wow going the weekend of the SE monthly game has got to be -EV...

Comment

I support the rights of everyone to work within the rule of Irish and European law. As a worker I am happy with the rights and protections I'm afforded under those laws. Those include the right to join a union and if I was an employer I also have the right to close up and move to somewhere that does not have to deal with unions.
                                                                                            Rationalise Waterford Crystal for me then please?

What about the employees who lost all or part of there pensions after working for the company for 30 years?

There is no protection under Irish law for their pensions.

Your telling me an employer has no moral obligation to it's employees after 30 years service?

Comment

This show could be better then Seinfeld.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDvr9l6bqS8[/ame]

Comment

LOL
                                                                                                O FFS! the staff ARE the union.It doesn't matter what the union heads reccommend,the members of a union make the decisions.

Have you ever been in a union? if thats not too personal a question.

Comment

Is that Dr. Phil?

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                                                                                    RAG week next week

Wont be as good as last year but what the hell.

Early contender for the Rag Week song of 2010 imo:
                                                                                                    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

To the residents of Galway: Yes, there will be alot of drunk students around Galway next week. Get over it. You have the Galway Races.
                                                                                                    yea it was rag week here in WIT this week. We were all messy drunks for the week. On Thursday we were chillin in the lads front garden after a mammoth house party the night before when one of his neighbours comes over and starts giving it all that How do ye get your money? why aren't ye in college? What could we say like, sorry bout that, sorry sorry but sure we hit the bottle hard that night too
                                                                                                    Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Originally posted by TommyGunne View Post
                                                                                                      Eddie: I hate Gerry Ryan with a vengeance. I get really annoyed every time I hear him talk. He is the epitome of a crass, vulgar, ignorant (in both senses), uneducated, insulting, humourless, pompous twat. Couldnt think of anyone to fill that description better. Even his stupid voice tilts me. Also, hope your mam is OK.
                                                                                                      Exactly what i wanted to say except i backed out as i didn't want to be too harsh!

I have a €150 voucher for Amazon that I got at xmas. Any suggestions for what to get? I don't want to get dvd's or books with it. I was tempted to put it towards a netbook, and still might, but I don't really need a netbook, not that that would stop me I guess.
                                                                                                      Any vouchers i used to get i always ended up buying something i didn't even need. Maybe give it to a family member or friend as a birthday/xmas present and that saves you having to think up an idea or spend any money

Comment

I have a €150 voucher for Amazon that I got at xmas. Any suggestions for what to get? I don't want to get dvd's or books with it. I was tempted to put it towards a netbook, and still might, but I don't really need a netbook, not that that would stop me I guess.
                                                                                                        Originally posted by Eddie Durkin View Post
                                                                                                        Maybe give it to a family member or friend as a birthday/xmas present and that saves you having to think up an idea or spend any money
                                                                                                        Its mothers day on the 14th so you could use it then

Comment

Originally Posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                                          Get a PS3 IMO. Fantastic machine it is.
                                                                                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFB View Post
                                                                                                            Get a PS3 IMO. Fantastic machine it is.
                                                                                                            definitely not just a games machine. The media server capabilities are excellent. Everything that I've ever downloaded and is stored on my computer's hard driver can be played wirelessly by the PS3.

(Get Rockband btw, actually very good craic sober, and unbelievable after a few drinks)

Comment

Have finally got some decent wallpaper across my monitors.

This site is the nuts: http://getawallpaper.com/

(if your not already) This small program allows you to spread a wallpaper across 2 monitors. Currently I have my monitors setup in profile with this brilliant Vegas wallpaper.

Comment

RTE are some muppets
                                                                                                                only giving the team news for the live game out a minute before the kickoff
                                                                                                                Not on their website beforehand either

EVERY other broadcaster knows people are looking to have a bet and get the team news out early

Comment

Originally posted by Icarus152 View Post
                                                                                                                  O FFS! the staff ARE the union.It doesn't matter what the union heads reccommend,the members of a union make the decisions.

Have you ever been in a union? if thats not too personal a question.
                                                                                                                  No I was never much of a joiner

Thinking that the union and its members are the same thing is extremely naive. You might have some little grain of truth regarding some of the smaller unions but for the bigger ones especially the PS ones you might as well say that Manchester United Is its fans.

I have had a bit of experience of them from the other side. I've seen them close viable businesses ,I've seen them try to put people out of business. I remember families almost starving in the 70's while moronic ideological strikes were dragged on and on. I've seen people blackguarded out of their job and out of the country for standing up to them. And I've seen the union bosses for generations feeding at the trough, taking backhanders and semistate positions as a reward for their hard work on behalf of their comrades.

The pension deficit in Waterford Crystal is criminal and a huge failure of all the players including the Unions to get proper protection into legislation.
                                                                                                                  Last edited by Strewelpeter; 05-03-10, 19:51.

Comment

Originally posted by max_power View Post
                                                                                                                    Is that Dr. Phil?
                                                                                                                    No its Jeff Tambor

Comment

Originally posted by tipp86 View Post
                                                                                                                      Just went to an irish bar around leicester sq 3 floors it was ok i guess very busy but downstairs would suit couple.

O neills i think they are a chain of pubs.
                                                                                                                      The Gaucho grill in Piccadilly is pure win
                                                                                                                      Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                                                                      https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

I arranged a threesome last night.

There were a couple of no-shows, but i still had a good time.
                                                                                                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Did anyone else read the second paragraph of Dom's post as....

"Also, hand history, it isn't me asking about it..............."?
                                                                                                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X