Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some 45 second images whilst I have the time.

Standard enough day usage in July

StandardEnoughDay.png
    Year so far
    YearSoFar.png

A3 Rated house, Air2Water Heat Pump, only electricity - no other power source. (Electric Car)
    Last edited by Emmet; 02-09-22, 08:30.

Comment

Throw in a car charge (car away during the day for most I imagine)
      Screenshot 2022-09-02 09.34.22.png

If you have solar panels capable of 4.2kW - and want to divert the excess into the car - you absolutely can with the right car charger. However you will be doing well to be getting 2/3kW into the car - which means for mine (smallest battery on the market maybe) 9-14 hours of excess electricity to fill it, and for a larger battery you're talking about days on end of diverting excess.

Now - obviously you wont be solely relying on solar for running your car, but worth realising that "free top ups" are as good as it gets wrt the car really.
      Last edited by Emmet; 02-09-22, 08:50.

Comment

That is impressive, what was that c.200 to heat the house and run the car in January?

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
          That is impressive, what was that c.200 to heat the house and run the car in January?
          -€10 thanks to the govt grant yup

Comment

Interesting stuff. Our retrofit contractor (and the independent energy consultant) both warned us off solar but that was more about the orientation of our house.
            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I mean I'm getting solar panels - it's just it's absolutely not a no-brainer and shouldn't be painted as such. The time-of-use is so important to consider if thinking about payback.

My consideration is less about payback and more about self-sufficiency. I'd like to be in a place in a couple of years time where I'm only really drawing power from the grid between Oct-Feb, and if I am, it's mostly for refilling a house battery (and/or the car!) during 'cheap' overnight hours to be re-used during the day when needed.

Will need to be looking at something like a 6kWp system, and probably going to try and get close to a 10kWh battery if not more.

That outlay will be something close to €17k I imagine. Though those prices are only going one way at present.
              Last edited by Emmet; 02-09-22, 09:08.

Comment

Actually didn't have a clue what our electricity spend is.

Switched to Electric Ireland last year and the bills this year (bi-monthly) have been: 216/263/256/217. And a government credit for nearly 200 so we have spent fuck all really as a % of overall outgoings.

I guess though we are still reaping the benefit of whatever teaser rate we switched onto in October last year and the post-October bills will be whoppers, no matter if I switch or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                  I mean I'm getting solar panels - it's just it's absolutely not a no-brainer and shouldn't be painted as such. The time-of-use is so important to consider if thinking about payback.

My consideration is less about payback and more about self-sufficiency. I'd like to be in a place in a couple of years time where I'm only really drawing power from the grid between Oct-Feb, and if I am, it's mostly for refilling a house battery during 'cheap' overnight hours to be re-used during the day when needed.

Will need to be looking at something like a 6kWp system, and probably going to try and get close to a 10kWh battery if not more.

That outlay will be something close to €17k I imagine. Though those prices are only going one way at present.
                  17k net of SEAI grants...or without?

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

17k net of SEAI grants...or without?
                    House built after grant cut-off. Only eligible on houses built pre-2021, so I've to go it alone.

Comment

House built after grant cut-off. Only eligible on houses built pre-2021, so I've to go it alone.
                      Bleh, OK. Fair enough I suppose.

It's something we could come back to in a few years. See how the heat pump goes first and how we look after that. Overall electricity spend should be improving anyway post rewiring, efficient lighting and appliances.

Comment

Reclaimed my office from the builders (who still haven't finished, the bastards). Getting the house back, room by room.

We order the windows\doors on Monday, so I'd be very surprised if the retrofit happens in 2022 given all the dire stories I've been hearing about lead times.

Comment

Can either of you recommend a solar company so? Probably a bad time to look into this as every man and his dog is probably on it at present, but we've a big south-facing rear roof, our back garden is a bit of a sun trap so I think it would make sense (and can organise to charge the electric car whenever free power is coming our way!).

Comment

Its not use-it-or-lose-it on solar. There's the feed-in tariff for selling back to the grid. Essentially means your bills are almost non-existent during May-September, and that includes charging the car. Well, more precisely we've used 800 units June, July, August, which is almost exclusively for car charging. Plus we'll get a ridic amount of units paid back as surplus units. That also includes 24/7 immersion as the new solars heat the water also. Thats about €80 a month of a bill that's just for kilometres driven. April and October should also be minor months. Let's see what the other months are like, but the payback is a slamdunk.

It doesn't seem to make sense for battery though. We were quoted €3k for battery - and that only saves you half the price of a unit of electricity per surplus unit generated, due to feed-in. Payback on battery could easily be a decade, while payback on solar (with the grant) is three-four-five years.

Although we paid a lot less than you for solar install (€6,200 for 4kwh, as mentioned, with hot water), and maybe the prices have gone up a fair bit in the last few months.
                            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                              Can either of you recommend a solar company so? Probably a bad time to look into this as every man and his dog is probably on it at present, but we've a big south-facing rear roof, our back garden is a bit of a sun trap so I think it would make sense (and can organise to charge the electric car whenever free power is coming our way!).
                              LVP Renewables in Naas is who we went with. Very quick turnaround time.

Comment

Of course, the real return on solars is infinite, as once you've paid the upfront cost you then completely forget about it, and every unit generated feels like absolutely free money.

Comment

Emmet That’s fantastic, thanks for sharing the graphs.

I saw some graphs for summer month usage which made me think that I effectively needed a battery for the reasons you mentioned but I understand what Hitch is saying too about selling back.

Our house has the same rating as yours and the framing of self-sufficiency rather than just payback is interesting.

Have you actually installed solar yet or it’s something you’re in the process of researching it? The 2021 cut off seems frustratingly arbitrary for grant too.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                    Its not use-it-or-lose-it on solar. There's the feed-in tariff for selling back to the grid. Essentially means your bills are almost non-existent during May-September, and that includes charging the car. Well, more precisely we've used 800 units June, July, August, which is almost exclusively for car charging. Plus we'll get a ridic amount of units paid back as surplus units. That also includes 24/7 immersion as the new solars heat the water also. Thats about €80 a month of a bill that's just for kilometres driven. April and October should also be minor months. Let's see what the other months are like, but the payback is a slamdunk.

It doesn't seem to make sense for battery though. We were quoted €3k for battery - and that only saves you half the price of a unit of electricity per surplus unit generated, due to feed-in. Payback on battery could easily be a decade, while payback on solar (with the grant) is three-four-five years.

Although we paid a lot less than you for solar install (€6,200 for 4kwh, as mentioned, with hot water), and maybe the prices have gone up a fair bit in the last few months.
                                    Tell me about the FIT that you have sorted. Because the ones that are giving the best deals are absolutely caning you on your consumption.

These are basically only worthwhile if you are exporting vastly more than you actually consume per year.

It's a false economy to say "I get 19c per kWh I push to the grid - ergo I'm making a fortune", if that means that you're paying 70c per kWh in order to get it and there's 20c per kWh tariffs available.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                      Emmet That’s fantastic, thanks for sharing the graphs.

I saw some graphs for summer month usage which made me think that I effectively needed a battery for the reasons you mentioned but I understand what Hitch is saying too about selling back.

Our house has the same rating as yours and the framing of self-sufficiency rather than just payback is interesting.

Have you actually installed solar yet or it’s something you’re in the process of researching it? The 2021 cut off seems frustratingly arbitrary for grant too.
                                      Nothing done yet - am basically broke at the moment so just in the overthinking/planning stage of the project as is.

The battery consideration is important because it depends what you're after.

If you can get net metering (some countries have this! - Hitch had it for a week), where every unit you give to the grid you get as a credit, then the grid becomes your battery [ from an accounting perspective!! ] . A good FIT can get that gap closer and closer.
                                      So if all you care about is cash, then the FIT 'getting better', reduces the benefits of a battery directly, ignoring all else.

However, if you're more concerned about being closer to self-sufficiency / able to run your house in times of grid issues, a battery suddenly becomes a no-brainer. At the very least a UPS powering your router / work setup if WFH will be a requirement if there are to be grid issues.

Also the battery is a valuable asset in winter time, as you can set it to charge from the grid at the cheapest times, meaning that you can avoid having to load-shift yourself.

There are people in the UK on the "Flexible Octopus Energy" tariff (extremely variable tariff, can even pay you to use electricity) who with a little programming are able to set up a battery that buys / imports during the cheap hours, and basically the house never draws directly from the grid, the batteries are just used as a buffer. I don't imagine we'll have as complex a tariff ever available in Ireland, but it shows you that there can be non-solar cash benefits of having a battery too!
                                      Last edited by Emmet; 02-09-22, 10:06.

Comment

Of course, the real return on solars is infinite, as once you've paid the upfront cost you then completely forget about it, and every unit generated feels like absolutely free money.
                                        not quite infinite - but yes panels should certainly be lasting 20+ years. So a 7 year payback seems to be pretty class alright.

Anyone with south facing roofs, and plenty of them, should certainly be thinking about it!

Comment

Reclaimed my office from the builders (who still haven't finished, the bastards). Getting the house back, room by room.

We order the windows\doors on Monday, so I'd be very surprised if the retrofit happens in 2022 given all the dire stories I've been hearing about lead times.
                                          My kitchen is going in today. Could be up to 2 weeks before we have a sink and hob though because the stone worktop people have to come and measure everything then cut it and come back to fit it
                                          Decided mid way through not to bother with a hallway at all so the house is open from the front door in. Still have a separate sitting room though.

Comment

This does remind me that my Virgin package has just gone over its teaser rate. Now looking for 158 p/m for BB, TV, Sky Sports.

Switcheroony time imo.

Annoyingly we can't get fibre here which really limits us.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post

My kitchen is going in today. Could be up to 2 weeks before we have a sink and hob though because the stone worktop people have to come and measure everything then cut it and come back to fit it
                                              Decided mid way through not to bother with a hallway at all so the house is open from the front door in. Still have a separate sitting room though.
                                              Kitchen was fairly painless, compared to everything else. Pretty much just an assembly job. We had temporary countertops of MDF for a couple of weeks and they were able to put the sink in with that and give us water and appliances.

Comment

Tell me about the FIT that you have sorted. Because the ones that are giving the best deals are absolutely caning you on your consumption.

These are basically only worthwhile if you are exporting vastly more than you actually consume per year.

It's a false economy to say "I get 19c per kWh I push to the grid - ergo I'm making a fortune", if that means that you're paying 70c per kWh in order to get it and there's 20c per kWh tariffs available.
                                                Bord Gais Energy, who we are with. We pay 18.26c a unit for usage (that's the base cost of 30.24c and a 40% loyalty / electric only discount), and get 13.5c feed-in tariff.

Now, obv that's all about to change when the cost increases appear, but presumably the FIT will rise along with the rise in purchase cost of kWh.

Comment

This does remind me that my Virgin package has just gone over its teaser rate. Now looking for 158 p/m for BB, TV, Sky Sports.

Switcheroony time imo.

Annoyingly we can't get fibre here which really limits us.
                                                  I switched to Sky a little while ago, it wasn’t the full teaser rate as it was more of a consolidation so we’re at 79p/m with basic, Netflix & 100mb atm.

Locked into a terrible deal for a while where we needed to use mobile broadband with Vodafone because there was no broadband.

My go to on Sports is to avail of the 19.50e for 6 months that NowTV offer every so often.
                                                  Generally purchase a month or so when the NBA finals & Golf Majors come around.
                                                  Basically leaves me with SkySports PAYG at a low rate for the 3 or 4 months I actually watch it.

Comment

Bord Gais Energy, who we are with. We pay 18.26c a unit for usage (that's the base cost of 30.24c and a 40% loyalty / electric only discount), and get 13.5c feed-in tariff.

Now, obv that's all about to change when the cost increases appear, but presumably the FIT will rise along with the rise in purchase cost of kWh.
                                                    Any sign of such a tariff on their website? For a FIT you must have a Smart Meter, so surely have night and peak rates to consider too?

View our Tariffs & prices for gas, electricity and dual fuel price plans.

Screenshot 2022-09-02 11.23.08.png

Comment

Was at Mulberry Garden in Donnybrook tonight. Ridic good food. Seem to have been running for ages? Thought it was a new place. I'll be dreaming of that suckling pork for an age.
                                                      It’s class, couldn’t multiquote before when you mentioned it but id highly recommend it.

Comment

Irish Parsimony Boards imo

did just book into a hotel for 500 p/n so the sum total of the money saving tips might mean I get to eat breakfast

Comment

Thats really smart with the idea of filling up at the battery at an ultralow overnight smart meter rate, and then using it during the day for e.g. heating. It actually substantially changes the dial on whether a battery is worth it.

Lets say you use 20 units per day on heating during the winter. There are rates out there that cost 35c during the day and 7c at night. So, a saving of about €5.50 a day, for maybe 150 nights? You're looking at about €800 savings a year. The battery starts to quickly enough pay back, especially if you are storing excess power during the summer to charge the car.

Comment

Irish Parsimony Boards imo

did just book into a hotel for 500 p/n so the sum total of the money saving tips might mean I get to eat breakfast
                                                            Off to NYC next week and was quoted $1849/night for 3 nights for an room (no windows) in midtown. Crazy people pay these

Comment

The Virgin Media (I can't really switch as all the other BB offerings are shit due to lack of fibre) loyalty lady in Limerick is throwing in BT Sport and some other crap with a slight reduction. Have more important crap to be thinking about tbf.
                                                              No doubt we will dance again in 12 months time.

Can all of you get fibre to your homes?
                                                              Feels like I am in some time warp at this address. Sky can't give me BB at all and Vodafone could only offer 12mbps.

Comment

Any sign of such a tariff on their website? For a FIT you must have a Smart Meter, so surely have night and peak rates to consider too?

View our Tariffs & prices for gas, electricity and dual fuel price plans.

Screenshot 2022-09-02 11.23.08.png
                                                                Had a look at those tariffs and they don't seem to have my rate. I wonder if its an old rate, or the price has changed since the most recent bill. The 40% discount (well 39% now) is on their website as a standard discount. Most recent bill below. Yeah, got a smart meter.

32QcC0ql.jpg

Comment

The Virgin Media (I can't really switch as all the other BB offerings are shit due to lack of fibre) loyalty lady in Limerick is throwing in BT Sport and some other crap with a slight reduction. Have more important crap to be thinking about tbf.
                                                                  No doubt we will dance again in 12 months time.

Can all of you get fibre to your homes?
                                                                  Feels like I am in some time warp at this address. Sky can't give me BB at all and Vodafone could only offer 12mbps.
                                                                  Thats mad, given where you live?

Comment

Had a look at those tariffs and they don't seem to have my rate. I wonder if its an old rate, or the price has changed since the most recent bill. The 40% discount (well 39% now) is on their website as a standard discount. Most recent bill below. Yeah, got a smart meter.

32QcC0ql.jpg
                                                                    24 hour tariff (same as myself) meaning we talk the talk with the night rate benefits but don't walk it.

In my defence the power can't be load shifted as heat pump generally just works away all day long, and we don't use the car enough to materially benefit to shifting to day/night tarrifs.

Comment

Thats mad, given where you live?
                                                                      I know, seems insane.

Seems to be bits of availability in Clontarf but typically on the main roads, so I guess slower rollout is the price we pay for our quiet cul de sac. Virgin's 500mb service is more than enough tbh but does mean I can't actually switch.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

Off to NYC next week and was quoted $1849/night for 3 nights for an room (no windows) in midtown. Crazy people pay these
                                                                        Ah yeah, this is just for 2 nights in London with Mrs D3 (who doesn't get to enjoy nice hotels like we do on business trips so worth it imo).

Hotel prices in London, NY are off the charts generally anyway. Dublin seems to be as bad - I see 2 nights in the Davenport for the same dates would set me back 1k too!

Comment

Ha, the map looks a bit like some banana republic surrounded by rich neighbours.

Average householder age is probably 75+ so I doubt they are kicking up a fuss.

BB11.jpeg

Comment

Kitchen was fairly painless, compared to everything else. Pretty much just an assembly job. We had temporary countertops of MDF for a couple of weeks and they were able to put the sink in with that and give us water and appliances.
                                                                            Might ask the builder to do that if the worktops are going to be on the longer end of the stated window. No sink is a PITA.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

At least two of my visits to Vegas came about with me starting to look at a trip to NYC, seeing the hotel prices and saying f it.

Comment

The fact Leo dumps every woman he has dated as they turn 25 isn't of any interest to me but sharing cause the infographic to show the data is so good.

FbeAAuqXEAAKcED?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

Comment

24 hour tariff (same as myself) meaning we talk the talk with the night rate benefits but don't walk it.

In my defence the power can't be load shifted as heat pump generally just works away all day long, and we don't use the car enough to materially benefit to shifting to day/night tarrifs.
                                                                                  Saw this tweet last week, which suggests the rates are out there.

Comment

not quite infinite - but yes panels should certainly be lasting 20+ years. So a 7 year payback seems to be pretty class alright.

Anyone with south facing roofs, and plenty of them, should certainly be thinking about it!
                                                                                    I thought that I would not be suitable for solar because house faces East West, but the HEA assessor says its not a bother, you just put panels on each side and you collect more than a south facing set. The cost of the extra panels doesn't appear to be any sort of issue in the overall scheme of things, he says that but haven't got the final quote yet.

Comment

Remember when we all read The Dice Man?

Comment

Remember when we all read The Dice Man?
                                                                                        I'm a relatively regular re-reader of books. I remember enjoying it quite a lot when I read it but don't think I've thought about it in years or ever considered reading it again

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                                          The fact Leo dumps every woman he has dated as they turn 25 isn't of any interest to me but sharing cause the infographic to show the data is so good.

FbeAAuqXEAAKcED?format=jpg&name=large.jpg
                                                                                          He's the feking King of the World. Livin the dream .

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

He's the feking King of the World. Livin the dream .
                                                                                            So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past....kinda accurate really

Comment

See its not on the chart, but he recently dumped his most recent girlfriend because she had the misfortune to be 25.

Comment

Still want to see the Flatley movie

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post

Damn HJ that's fucking good!

Jazz, ska, 80s pop, (bloody Madness piano licks all over the middle of it for God sake!) and plenty of foray-ing into the avant grade (if you don't mind! in the later quarter).

Class sir. Class.

Thanks a lot Benny! I've worked a lot on improving a few things and I felt this was my best song so far, it's great to get such good feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

Thanks a lot Benny! I've worked a lot on improving a few things and I felt this was my best song so far, it's great to get such good feedback.
                                                                                                    Is it a different saxophonist from earlier tracks, or have they just gotten a lot better over time?
                                                                                                    Last edited by ComradeCollie; 02-09-22, 18:12.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Is it a different saxophonist from earlier tracks, or have they just gotten a lot better over time?
                                                                                                      Yes, I'm working with a new saxophonist, he probably is a bit better. I've also gotten a lot better at working with the musicians, we record it all together now which is a much better process as you can adjust tiny things in real time.

This is the new one, he's super easy to work with. https://www.musiversal.com/artists/yuri-villar

Comment

Yes, I'm working with a new saxophonist, he probably is a bit better. I've also gotten a lot better at working with the musicians, we record it all together now which is a much better process as you can adjust tiny things in real time.

This is the new one, he's super easy to work with. https://www.musiversal.com/artists/yuri-villar
                                                                                                        Just skimmed through the tracks there, and the one I didn't like must have been from earlier. Think it must have been from early in the first lockdown. Do you write/arrange/record the stuff, or are you live playing any of it?

Comment

When you say 'we record it altogether now' do you mean in the same room?

Comment

Free Enoch Burke .

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                              Free Enoch Burke .
                                                                                                              Maybe assign him a psychiatrist would be more appropriate. Though it's not as catchy a slogan.

Comment

Maybe assign him a psychiatrist would be more appropriate. Though it's not as catchy a slogan.
                                                                                                                We should never allowed the gays to vote.

Comment

A therapist, surely. Seems like an awful upbringing, that they've all ended up so odd.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post

When you say 'we record it altogether now' do you mean in the same room?
                                                                                                                    Over zoom/audiomovers

Comment

A therapist, surely. Seems like an awful upbringing, that they've all ended up so odd.
                                                                                                                      How in the name of all that's holy did he ever get hired?

Comment

The Trump documents thing just gets nuttier.

Most likely explanation is he was acting at the level of a toddler having an 'it's mine!' tantrum, but the fact that some of the folders are empty raises some disturbing possibilities. Must be getting harder and harder for Republicans to defend this but they've backed themselves into a corner where they have to. Karma.

Comment

Just skimmed through the tracks there, and the one I didn't like must have been from earlier. Think it must have been from early in the first lockdown. Do you write/arrange/record the stuff, or are you live playing any of it?
                                                                                                                          I play it all at the start, then get musicians to play what I wrote. The songs often change quite a lot during that process, and with some, like the Sax and Piano, I know and trust the musicians at the point so much I will leave space for them to add parts. I'll do the melody and the basics of a solo, and they can work from there. On most songs, there will end up with some of me still left in it because I sometimes prefer my version. EG I find it really hard to get the right tone from bassists, for instance, so even though their playing is infinitely better than mine, I usually end up with my bass on the tracks. Also, for some tracks where an instrument is supposed to be in the background, it's super difficult to get a musician who is used to being the centre of attention to take a back seat, so some of the basic piano tracks are done by me - which is quite a painful process.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X