Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I blame Joe for causing all this confusion in the first place.

Ah balls I'm victim blaming now. Sorry Joe ...I mean Joseph!
    I dont know you well enough to truncatyour name Jesus!
    oh God I've gone and taken the lords name in vain fuck it sorry again "are you a Christian Joe?" Oh crap I've done it again assuming your religion Christ!!

Joe's frozen image of himself staring intently out from his office on Zoom looking for all the world the picture of stoic determination yet silent and attentive.

Meanwhile Joe is on level 6 of Donkey Kong and halfway through a pack of jaffa cakes occasionally tapping the space bar of his office computer.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Speaking of actual racism,
      The implication that casual racism is not racism is rather disturbing.

What you are talking about in SA was deep seated structural oppression that happened to be built around race.

I'd recommend reading this book by Reni Eddo-Lodge Actually its more or less all here in this article
      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Hitchhiker's Guide To... What was the board game website you buy from again? Need a small gift for a Harry Potter nut. I wonder is there something there.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
              This is the game. Nice big box too and interesting packaging, so it'll look substantial.

Defend iconic locations with your friends against You-Know-Who and his cronies.
              Thanks

Should i got that. Or go for this?

Comment

Prob better to get the game as both are multiplayer but friends /family can play and enjoy the game too but the Trivial pursuit would be eye gouging for non fans.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                  Anyone with Instagram can ya give this page a follow. For someone who finds the joy in simply having more followers, so figured I'd try to get some!

You could also be the first non-family customer if you wish

https://www.instagram.com/thewellfedbunny/
                  Some nice stuff there, maybe I'm out of touch but they do seem to be quite expensive for what they are.

Big discount code and I might buy a few bits.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

The implication that casual racism is not racism is rather disturbing.

What you are talking about in SA was deep seated structural oppression that happened to be built around race.

I'd recommend reading this book by Reni Eddo-Lodge Actually its more or less all here in this article
                    I enjoyed that and what was interesting to me was the framing through a UK lense opposed to US.

I think Michelle Alexander's "The New Jim Crow" is a really good read on the topic

Comment

Shouldn't have bought that big tub of Quality Street .."I'll just have 3 with my coffee" ....pile of wrappers =far>3

Comment

Annexing part of Scotland obv
                        Might make the unionist happier to accept joining the republic

Comment

Don't group me in with Raoul's dodgy points about 'but sure aren't the blacks the biggest racists'. Thats not my club.

I'm just purely saying that someone having black skin is a notable feature that it seems reasonable to use as a marker to locate them among a group of other people who don't have black skin. And if there are a group of people where you are trying to point out the black person among the group, its clearly odd to not note their skin colour as an obvious identifying feature.
                          They've big numbers on their back

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

Prob better to get the game as both are multiplayer but friends /family can play and enjoy the game too but the Trivial pursuit would be eye gouging for non fans.

This is true, a deck of these were slipped into our game last Christmas so that the people with good potter knowledge and shite general knowledge could have the game balanced.

Since I have only seen a few bits of the films and had no interest in the books it was pretty shit

Comment

Comment

Comment

Joe is not a number.
                                  I support Joe's right to be a number if he/she/they so wishes.

Comment

Yeah the Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle is a card thing that anyone can play. There's a nice series of battles getting progressively more complex which is fun as it's at least maybe 10 individual games. Think I remember Tar had also played it back when I played it and him liking it also. There's also some nice expansions, so if he likes this you can get the expansions for later events.
                                    Curious if there would be a market for these types of games for adults in b&m shops or is it something you would specifically prefer to just order online.

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

I support Joe's right to be a number if he/she/they so wishes.
                                      If he's a prime number, is that supremacist?

I don't even want to go into odd numbers.
                                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I don't get this. Are you suggesting by analogy that you can't tell someone is black by looking at them
                                        When you use black and white you are distinguishing based on skin colour. When using Asian you are distinguished based on an assumed geographic background. This assumption is based on how somebody looks. How somebody looks, in the global village, has no immutable relationship with where they are from. It is bone headed and anachronistic.

I mean Asian. Like all Indians, Japanese, Chinese etc etc look similar in some way.

It's very simple. Use skin colour to distinguish, if it is the ONLY feature that will differentiate the person from the group. Otherwise use a distinguishing feature that could be applied to anyone, no matter what their skin colour. The guy with the mustasch, glasses, red shirt, long hair, kilt, clown shoes, tight ass etc.

Don't distinguish at all if you don't need to. "This guy came up to me at the bus stop and ......." vs "This black guy came up to me at the bus stop and....". What difference does skin colour make to the tale?

Listening to the sport on the radio this morning. The first report mentioned the Mayo football manager. The third report mentioned the Galway ladies football manager. Spot the difference?
                                        Last edited by Wombatman; 09-12-20, 17:56.
                                        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

If he's a prime number, is that supremacist?

I don't even want to go into odd numbers.

Ah no Joe is more careful than that on the rise to power to pick such a limiting moniker.
                                          I would see Joe as an approachable but slightly stern number.
                                          A number not to be trifled with, a number that's seen a few equations and come out wiser and stronger.
                                          An impressive yet realistic number comfortable in itself slightly disdainful of show off numbers higher than itself and forgiving and encouraging towards lower numbers.
                                          Think Joe would be an 8 to the power of 4 , hungry to get to the 10 and powers but not obvious about it.

Comment

dobby, HJ and IonaPaul

I was talking to Emily (of The Swallows) briefly the other day.
                                            Passed on the feedback and compliments.
                                            She was absolutely delighted so thanks for the comments lads.
                                            They dont have a CD or I would have bought a few.

They're going in to Windmill Lane to record soon as in a week or so. I didnt find out the producers name.
                                            Last edited by dinekes; 09-12-20, 19:33.

Comment

Back this weekend after almost a decade off the air.

Edit - Don't know if the tweet thing is working - https://twitter.com/PokerGO/status/1336717247952416775
                                              Last edited by Opr; 09-12-20, 20:50.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Its like leading a story on Ireland qualifying for the World Cup. When you mean the Tiddlywinks World Cup. Of course the audience will assume its the main World Cup meaning unless you qualify the statement. Let's not argue ourselves into being stupid.
                                                      Is is actually more and more of a thing now, guardian are particularly bad but more and more Irish media outlets too

im regularly getting caught out by a headline that would be a shock in the men’s game eg arsenal beating big teams in recent years and then you click and realise it was actually the women’s game
                                                      don’t see what’s wrong with identifying it as such in the sub headline etc?
                                                      Last edited by Guest; 09-12-20, 21:24.

Comment

Its like leading a story on Ireland qualifying for the World Cup. When you mean the Tiddlywinks World Cup. Of course the audience will assume its the main World Cup meaning unless you qualify the statement. Let's not argue ourselves into being stupid.
                                                        Do you mean the soccer world cup or the rugby world cup? I guess in the US people would assume the Women's Soccer World cup right? How close does it need to be, in your book before it needs to be specified?

They are officially different sporting events. Why not use their full titles?

Ever wonder why women's sport might be less popular?

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

When you mean the Tiddlywinks World Cup.
                                                          Here is the Tiddlywinks World Championship. I think we can safely say that not only has there never been a women's world championship, but none of the competitors have ever actually talked to a woman.

Comment

I just buy from Amazon. BoardGameGeek is the website to find good games. We got a decent, but not perfect, Harry Potter card game. As in, it's slightly flawed, but has a high rating.
                                                            I've been trying to buy stuff local but it's hard graft
                                                            £25 as a set from amazon

same thing is €70-€80 on easons or Dubray books.

Michael Scott is a fantastic children/young adult author btw.
                                                            I had tons of his books as a kid, obviously cannot find them now and all out of print and worth a fortune.
                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

WTF is going on here, More traded post election than pre and is open after what seems to me a clear conclusion according to the rules

This market will be settled according to the candidate that has the most projected Electoral College votes won at the 2020 presidential election. Any subsequent events such as a ‘faithless elector’ will have no effect on the settlement of this market.
                                                              I don'tsee what further statements they could be waiting for

If there is any material change to the established role or any ambiguity as to who occupies the position, then Betfair may determine, using its reasonable discretion, how to settle the market based on all the information available to it at the relevant time. Betfair reserves the right to wait for further official announcements before the market is settled.

Matched:
                                                              EUR 1,744,904,955

Joe Biden
                                                              €1460801

Donald Trump
                                                              €25765

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

The Irish businesses just make it far too difficult. The awful struggle through odd web design and logistics decisions, and frequently outlandish prices, to get a basic service that Amazon has down to a tee.
                                                                      Bit weird though that Amazon still has us/ROI as default on the .co.uk site with Brexit looming. the have a warehouse and drivers here now why don't we have a .ie yet?

VAT has been weird also for Tech this year (ie no VAT, randomly)

Comment

Comment

It is weird, isn't it. And that we still only have prices in sterling. are a million customers simply just not worth it to them?
                                                                          In a nutshell yeah.
                                                                          They have prices in euro and amazon.de exists.
                                                                          Prime delivery is the main loss.
                                                                          I'm intrigued whatll happen with parcel motel.
                                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

In a nutshell yeah.
                                                                            They have prices in euro and amazon.de exists.
                                                                            Prime delivery is the main loss.
                                                                            I'm intrigued whatll happen with parcel motel.
                                                                            isn't parcel motels bigger problem WFH? I was a big user but haven't used them since March, and PRIME delivery now covers Ireland since 2019, so their raison d'etre is challenged

Comment

Originally posted by paul8200 View Post

isn't parcel motels bigger problem WFH? I was a big user but haven't used them since March, and PRIME delivery now covers Ireland since 2019, so their raison d'etre is challenged
                                                                              I dunno, I use parcel motel exclusively for stuff that delivers to the UK and not Ireland.

I'm wondering if pm will exist as soon kind of loophole for both vat and import charges

Comment

Squoped a beauty yesterday but need a new squidger.

Comment

The kid wants a Nintendo Switch. He is 7 in Jan. Mistake ?
                                                                                  all Santa requirement boxes are ticked . Eg good boy etc.

Seems expensive but is it worth the outlay ?

Comment

WTF is going on here, More traded post election than pre and is open after what seems to me a clear conclusion according to the rules

I don'tsee what further statements they could be waiting for

Matched:
                                                                                    EUR 1,744,904,955

Joe Biden
                                                                                    1.08
                                                                                    €1460801

Donald Trump
                                                                                    17.5
                                                                                    €25765

I don't have any BF bets waiting to settle but it just seems completely egregious not to have settled this thing weeks ago.

They still have state markets up FFS. Like I've been saying for a while, there must be some story behind this and I'd be very curious to see hear it. If not, I'd like 1/20 on Exeter to win last season's HC please PP.

Comment

Looks like reporters will be able to drop the Tag when talking about the Tag rugby World Cup in a few years
                                                                                      chickens coming home to roost in a big way this week

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                        The kid wants a Nintendo Switch. He is 7 in Jan. Mistake ?
                                                                                        all Santa requirement boxes are ticked . Eg good boy etc.

Seems expensive but is it worth the outlay ?
                                                                                        Our son has had one for a few years, seems to get a lot of use out of it and plays with his friends\cousins a lot (which was good in lockdown as at least he was talking to them). Buying games will cost more $$$ each time.
                                                                                        In theory you could hook it up to the tv and play games with him. I tried but failed as I've always hated computer games.

I'd recommend strict limits on when\how long he can play. However boys brains work, it seems to hyperstimulate them and he's a pain in the ass after coming off a session on it. Less now as he's nearly 12 and more mature.

Comment

I think you are right . I Will sway him to something else if I can

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                            I think you are right . I Will sway him to something else if I can
                                                                                            I'd say 10/11 is probably the right age if you can hold off that long. No doubt plenty of peer pressure though...GL.

Comment

Bill Burr rarely has guests. Today he had Kevin Bacon

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Some nice stuff there, maybe I'm out of touch but they do seem to be quite expensive for what they are.

Big discount code and I might buy a few bits.
                                                                                                Will mention it to her later today and get back to you.

I know she looked at a lot of other etsy stores when pricing everything up, and went slightly under the average she found for similar pieces. Am personally clueless as to whether they are pricey or good value.

Would presume it's based on how long they take, and then the fact that it's completely unique and rare with it being hand crafted and original designs. The three dots on the bottom of these (https://www.etsy.com/ie/listing/9097..._home_active_8) are made of gold too which likely drives that price up.

Will pm you later/tomorrow with whatever discount she might deem is fair. Will pass on the nice words too which will go down well am sure!
                                                                                                Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Do you mean the soccer world cup or the rugby world cup? I guess in the US people would assume the Women's Soccer World cup right? How close does it need to be, in your book before it needs to be specified?

They are officially different sporting events. Why not use their full titles?

Ever wonder why women's sport might be less popular?

https://20x20.ie/
                                                                                                  Women's football is less popular for the same reason that first division football is less popular than the premiership.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                                    Looks like reporters will be able to drop the Tag when talking about the Tag rugby World Cup in a few years
                                                                                                    chickens coming home to roost in a big way this week
                                                                                                    Will the teams also be full of people who never played any kind of sport until they reached their late 20's but after 3 weeks talk like they are athletes?

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post

Will the teams also be full of people who never played any kind of sport until they reached their late 20's but after 3 weeks talk like they are athletes?
                                                                                                      Didn’t realise Ireland are actually supposed to host the Rugby World Cup next year
                                                                                                      https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.inde...-37788280.html

it’s been pushed out to 2022 now might still be a bit soon for them to drop the Tag from the name in news reports. It you never know.

presumably people who play in the Tag World Cup get shunned by their families/communities?

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                                        When using Asian you are distinguished based on an assumed geographic background. This assumption is based on how somebody looks. How somebody looks, in the global village, has no immutable relationship with where they are from. It is bone headed and anachronistic.
                                                                                                        I think you are mixing up concepts here.
                                                                                                        Asian is a term that describes ethnicity, not geography. It doesn’t necessarily mean somebody lives or was born in Asia. Asian is one of the ethnic/racial groups used to describe populations (black and white are two other examples, there are many other). Describing somebody as Asian is based on their ethnicity, not where they are from.
                                                                                                        Eg a colleague of mine has live her entire life in Australia, she was born here to Korean parents. She is Australian. But she is also Asian. She describes herself as such from time to time.

However, what you saying would apply if you described somebody as “Chinese” based on appearance. Which IS a gross assumption on appearance. “Chinese” is foremost a nationality, which the person may or may hold regardless of appearance or ancestry.
                                                                                                        It can refer to ethnicity, as can Irish, but in that context they would typically be qualified as such - as in “ethnically Chinese/Irish”.

Comment

...

Comment

Guess Who to be cancelled I suppose.

Always knew it was a racist game.

Comment

I'd go for it. The first reason is that he wants it, and that probably means his friends have it, so he'll feel like he's lost out if he doesn't get it no matter what else you get him. The second reason is its fairly class. Our (badly raised) kid is five and obsessed with it. Its a thing of beauty tbf.
                                                                                                              I'm conflicted now

What would PSV do ?

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                                I think you are mixing up concepts here.
                                                                                                                Asian is a term that describes ethnicity, not geography. It doesn’t necessarily mean somebody lives or was born in Asia. Asian is one of the ethnic/racial groups used to describe populations (black and white are two other examples, there are many other). Describing somebody as Asian is based on their ethnicity, not where they are from.
                                                                                                                Eg a colleague of mine has live her entire life in Australia, she was born here to Korean parents. She is Australian. But she is also Asian. She describes herself as such from time to time.

However, what you saying would apply if you described somebody as “Chinese” based on appearance. Which IS a gross assumption on appearance. “Chinese” is foremost a nationality, which the person may or may hold regardless of appearance or ancestry.
                                                                                                                It can refer to ethnicity, as can Irish, but in that context they would typically be qualified as such - as in “ethnically Chinese/Irish”.
                                                                                                                It's both, you can say that person is Asian, you can also say somebody born in India or the middle east is Asian, no matter their race. Different countries have different definitions of Asian for different purposes. In the UK Asian usually means Indians, Pakistanis, Sri Lankans, etc and Chinese is a separate section on the census form form than Asian When people actually say asian here, they are generally saying "that bloke with weird eyes".
                                                                                                                Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 10-12-20, 17:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

It's both, you can say that person is Asian, you can also say somebody born in India or the middle east is Asian, no matter their race. Different countries have different definitions of Asian for different purposes. In the UK Asian usually means Indians, Pakistanis, Sri Lankans, etc and Chinese is a separate section on the census form form than Asian When people actually say asian here, they are generally saying "that bloke with weird eyes".
                                                                                                                  That’s such nonsense.
                                                                                                                  This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Eo5FrZQU8AEzmyR?format=jpg&name=900x900.jpg
                                                                                                                    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

There is a country called Eswatini (albeit a 2018 rename).

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

Unraid as your media server, any of the available plugins/dockers

https://wiki.unraid.net/Setting_Up_S...nd_CouchPotato

This is bog standard stuff I think. Danny has been using it too I believe.
                                                                                                                        I've two servers setup one is a Synology which is pretty handy/easy to get up & running and will do all the bits you want and the other is UnRaid which is a little more difficult to use but I think you do a lot of programming type stuff? If so you'll be flying with it.

Use Sonarr for managing your tv stuff & Radarr for your movies and you should be good. You can setup both on each type of server so check out what you need & cost etc.

"you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                                          There is a country called Eswatini (albeit a 2018 rename).
                                                                                                                          do you know why they rebranded?

SPOILER
                                                                                                                          Allegedly - so they would no longer be confused with Switzerland

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X