This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post

It’s all a pain in the ass. Pensions are the only game in town in Ireland. The investor rules in Ireland are a bad joke.
    How much if any lobbying has been done on this? Irish rules are crazy. Is it in the interest of industry to keep it like this so they can generate fees for creating products? Rather than going for mass market low fee appeal.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
      Don't know if I've got weird parents (it seems unlikely given I turned out perfect), but reading between the lines they seem to rate not dying pretty high over how cute their grandkids might be. The dad was mulling over an embrace with my brothers daughter, what with my brother going for a covid test today, and the mother has bought a heater to set up the Christmas dinner table outside for the kids for Christmas Day.
      I get the fear/caution but outdoor dining in max 5 degree weather without an industrial level heater is nuts! Is there no spare room they could be mostly stay in?
      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
        Something I should know but don't: do I just forget my amazon.co.uk from here on and get an amazon.de account instead?
        I think you just log in with the same account details on the other website.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

.de also do not honor .co.uk prime free delivery and content afaik
          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

How much if any lobbying has been done on this? Irish rules are crazy. Is it in the interest of industry to keep it like this so they can generate fees for creating products? Rather than going for mass market low fee appeal.
            A fair bit by the life insurance companies. Not nearly enough by stockbrokers. Seems to go nowhere though.

Reasonable investment rules and taxes on CGT and inheritance would be neutral in the long run imo. Fuck all votes in it though. A lack of financial education amongst the electorate is the primary issue. Also the bullshit way we run our political system....
            ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

You can also change the account setting from German to English if you do not sprechen ze Deutsch. I was ordering stuff for my robo mower via Amazon.de before it was cool.
              ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Don't know if I've got weird parents (it seems unlikely given I turned out perfect), but reading between the lines they seem to rate not dying pretty high over how cute their grandkids might be. The dad was mulling over an embrace with my brothers daughter, what with my brother going for a covid test today, and the mother has bought a heater to set up the Christmas dinner table outside for the kids for Christmas Day.

I don't think they're being bollixes. In each case they either met the grandkid or made arrangements for the grandkids, but maybe its something we should bear in mind this Christmas with your plans. That their fear level might be different to our fear level. Like I'll make a point of telling the kids not to run up for hugs because of corona.
                The common sense approach would be for the whole family to get the test just before staying with relatives, as would put everyone mind at ease. That what a friend of mine family did before going up to drogheda for Christmas with the in-laws.
                No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post

You can also change the account setting from German to English if you do not sprechen ze Deutsch. I was ordering stuff for my robo mower via Amazon.de before it was cool.
                  How is Robo Mower? Do you give him the winter off?
                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I get the fear/caution but outdoor dining in max 5 degree weather without an industrial level heater is nuts! Is there no spare room they could be mostly stay in?
                    I'll tell you what it's like after tonight as my muppet friend booked an outdoor table.

Although it does give me a good excuse for wearing my insanely warm new Norweigan wanker-sweater.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

You can get adapters or cables that will do DVI-HDMI for small money. I don't know that there's any decrease in performance but I've used them loads of times with no issues - mostly it's been standard office usage with docking stations and PCs running dual full hd displays. Maybe with 4k and super high frame rates there may be an argument to the contrary. Otherwise I can't imagine you'd need to upgrade the GPU and a couple of cables/adapters should suffice.
                      Thanks!

I think I might be goosed that my pc only will output 1900x1200 (x 6), rather than 2560 x 1440.

Edit: ha looking at posts on boards, I put it together 10 years ago, good milage.

Comment

How is Robo Mower? Do you give him the winter off?
                        He did a great job all year. I’ve had him in storage for the past 6 weeks as I’ve been getting some landscaping and a patio done.

I’ll get him serviced and software updated and a new boundary line installed in the new year. Might treat him to an superhero foil as well.

Buy Husqvarna Automower® robotic lawn mower online. We have a wide range of Husqvarna Automower with quick and free delivery in EU. Gplshop have also a wide assortment of Husqvarna forest and Garden products as chainsaw, grass trimmer, bruch cutter, hedg

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

You should look for Ma Raineys Black Bottom on Netflix, very good film, a bit about her life but more focused on her band, very enjoyable watch.

It was very good , a kind of blues version of GlenGary Glenross , needed more music , deduct 1 point

Comment

With all the stuff about vaccines I thought my siblings and my diphtheria cards might be good for a lol

Comment

With all the stuff about vaccines I thought my siblings and my diphtheria cards might be good for a lol

Same printers as the old green library tickets . Possession of which made me feel like a boss .

Comment

I read this interesting article recently on the history of vaccination and the antivax movement.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Same printers as the old green library tickets . Possession of which made me feel like a boss .
                                  Same size too. The scanning and posting makes them look bigger.

Comment

There are seven magpies in the tree outside the back door, all watching me with unnerving intent.

Feels like a metaphor for 2020.
                                    Haven't you heard that birds aren't real? Loike they've all been replaced by drones. Genuinely haven't seen a dead one in about 5 years, and the feral cats live in fear of them now. Those magpies have been learning from the seagulls imo

Comment

Same size too. The scanning and posting makes them look bigger.
                                      Vaccination certificates going to be all the talk in 2021. I doubt those will get you on a plane to Ibiza.
                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Vaccination certificates going to be all the talk in 2021. I doubt those will get you on a plane to Ibiza.
                                        Ah, just seems bizarre to me that a poor woman with 8 kids was able to be that organized 60 years ago. I'm impressed with myself when I manage not to run out of bog roll.

Comment

Came across this great 30 min film of The A Centre in Belfast (1981).

"A" being for anarchist so it centres around anti-state, leftist and libertarian outlooks with segments on veganism, punk, collectivism, RUC harassment, etc...

Check out the two wee punk kids, who are there for 'the music', digging each other in the balls, at 11.34

Totally class.

This was about 6 years before i got into that scene in Belfast in the mid-late 80s and by then it had transformed into The Warzone Collective which partnered often with the similarly-minded Hope Collective from Dublin to bring punk bands from all over the world to Ireland while promoting veganism, anti-sexism, anti-homophobia, anti-sectarianism, anti-fascism etc...

Seems like a lifetime ago until i watched this and suddenly it's just like yesterday again while, in many ways, just the same as today.

Comment

Oh.. and the glue sniffing of course.

Some great images of that and the last time I saw somebody huffing glue was in middle of a roundabout in west Belfast about 15 years ago.

I presume it was so popular in Belfast cos paramilitaries made regular drugs hard to get until, well, they didn't but the auld glue hung on in with the punks/street heads for a while until even they could afford better.

Comment

You're not wrong! In fairness I don't think kids feel cold.
                                              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I'll tell you what it's like after tonight as my muppet friend booked an outdoor table.

Although it does give me a good excuse for wearing my insanely warm new Norweigan wanker-sweater.
                                                oh very nice. Although, is that maybe too warm at times?

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                                  Came across this great 30 min film of The A Centre in Belfast (1981).

"A" being for anarchist so it centres around anti-state, leftist and libertarian outlooks with segments on veganism, punk, collectivism, RUC harassment, etc...

Check out the two wee punk kids, who are there for 'the music', digging each other in the balls, at 11.34

Totally class.

This was about 6 years before i got into that scene in Belfast in the mid-late 80s and by then it had transformed into The Warzone Collective which partnered often with the similarly-minded Hope Collective from Dublin to bring punk bands from all over the world to Ireland while promoting veganism, anti-sexism, anti-homophobia, anti-sectarianism, anti-fascism etc...

Seems like a lifetime ago until i watched this and suddenly it's just like yesterday again while, in many ways, just the same as today.

I just finished something on the history & diversity of Anarchism which was good but very complex.

I'll definitely watch that as I'm curious about how various schools of thought actually manifested itself.

Having read it, you see how much anarchism still influences the movements of the left.

Comment

Had Druid Glen booked for 10 am this morning. Match abandoned. Very disappointed . perfect weather yesterday .

Comment

oh very nice. Although, is that maybe too warm at times?
                                                      Not last night it wasn't. Sitting at a table outside the Stags Head was pretty chilly.

It's a truly beautiful piece of clothing that will probably outlive me.

Comment

Reread The Pigeon Tunnel and The Spy Who Came In From The Cold as my personal memorial to John le Carre. Interesting how clearly disillusioned he was all the way back when he wrote the latter. Writing is beautiful though.

Turns out one of the guys I was out with last night has a pile of first edition, signed, le Carre books. Reckons they doubled in value last week.

Comment

I'm impressed with the volume of reading you guys are managing. Particularly those of you with kids.

I struggle to fit in more than about 15 mins at bedtime.

I could probably add to that at lunchtime but can't see any other part of the day where I can fit it in.

Curious to know how you guys do it.
                                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

For context, in terms of working out how worried we should be: More viral load = more severe illness.

Comment

Just bit the Nintendo Switch bullet. Was nice knowing you kid

Comment

Be prepared for extreme mood swings.

Comment

What games are you going for with it?

Super Mario is surprisingly still the star of the show imo, followed by Super Mario Odyssey. Mario Kart, I find quite boring, but kids seem to be obsessed with it. Zelda tops all the lists, but is maybe a bit complex given the age. Animal Crossing is great but not as the only game.

Comment

Minecraft , arry potter,; super villains. I'm officially a busto rentboy. Is the fitz still closed .

Comment

Be prepared for extreme mood swings.
                                                                      when we bought a wii and nintendo ds for the kids when they were small, we made it very clear that any sign of mood swing or anger or anything else, that was the end of the session. obviously sessions were limited to an hour max when they were small, but they quickly learnt to keep an even keel even when stressed or challenged. Now though, both of them can play long sessions of competitive games and stay incredibly calm throughout.

Obviously sample size is small but i really think you can teach that discipline to kids from a very early age, and well worth working on. I've seen some of my friend's kids playing video games, and they become absolute monsters!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

when we bought a wii and nintendo ds for the kids when they were small, we made it very clear that any sign of mood swing or anger or anything else, that was the end of the session. obviously sessions were limited to an hour max when they were small, but they quickly learnt to keep an even keel even when stressed or challenged. Now though, both of them can play long sessions of competitive games and stay incredibly calm throughout.

Obviously sample size is small but i really think you can teach that discipline to kids from a very early age, and well worth working on. I've seen some of my friend's kids playing video games, and they become absolute monsters!
                                                                          and is there a book maybe that rd could read in order to become a better parent?

Comment

Comment

and is there a book maybe that rd could read in order to become a better parent?
                                                                              lol, no idea.

Comment

Thankfully Mrs D3 has many qualifications in parenting and spends much of her working day helping families overcome serious problems.

Obviously that shit goes out the window when she comes home.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

Obviously being French, your children are basically small adults so have far more emotional control than our Irish versions. (Only half-joking, I am always amazed and slightly scared by how mature French children come across. Teenage girls that look and dress exactly like their mothers is another weird thing.)

Boys brains seem to be wired in such a way that these games hyperstimulate them. My two daughters will put down a tablet and be completely fine but my son just goes to a overstimulated state and will be a pain in the ass for a good hour after device removal. He's a lot better now (almost 12) but plenty of tantrums when 8-10 and it just seemed like he knew he was doing it, knew he shouldn't but genuinely couldn't stop himself. Then his sisters would laugh at him and beat him up. Good training for marriage.

From talking to other parents of boys, it's common in pre-pubescent boys. Hotspur may have insights.

Comment

Obviously being French, your children are basically small adults so have far more emotional control than our Irish versions. (Only half-joking, I am always amazed and slightly scared by how mature French children come across. Teenage girls that look and dress exactly like their mothers is another weird thing.)

Boys brains seem to be wired in such a way that these games hyperstimulate them. My two daughters will put down a tablet and be completely fine but my son just goes to a overstimulated state and will be a pain in the ass for a good hour after device removal. He's a lot better now (almost 12) but plenty of tantrums when 8-10 and it just seemed like he knew he was doing it, knew he shouldn't but genuinely couldn't stop himself. Then his sisters would laugh at him and beat him up. Good training for marriage.

From talking to other parents of boys, it's common in pre-pubescent boys. Hotspur may have insights.
                                                                                    I wonder if its partially that games are just more attractive to boys in any case. Just noticing it with our son too. But he seems really excited by it - like he's putting everything into creating meaning from this game. It strikes me as something partially cool?

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                      But, it's important to remember he is someones grandfather.

Comment

Never mind kids, I’m on my 3rd controller as a result of fucking fifa 21
                                                                                        Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

But, it's important to remember he is someones grandfather.
                                                                                          I have that dodgy gene . I would finish him in front of his family just as he was receiving a Vito Coleone 'Happy Birthday grandpa ' front door surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                            I'm impressed with the volume of reading you guys are managing. Particularly those of you with kids.

I struggle to fit in more than about 15 mins at bedtime.

I could probably add to that at lunchtime but can't see any other part of the day where I can fit it in.

Curious to know how you guys do it.
                                                                                            When I was a kid I'd get 8 books from the library every two weeks and read them all. Then the internet came around.
                                                                                            That really means I read most of the day, but not nearly enough actual books any more. Too many hobbies as well, but you have the most time consuming hobby of all, kids.

Comment

German third-tier side Dynamo Dresden sold more than 72,000 tickets for the cup match at home to Darmstadt on Tuesday, even though it was played in an empty stadium.

Dresden is going through a financial crisis & put tickets on sale at €5 each and appealed to fans to buy them out of solidarity. They sold over three times their average attendance last season and over twice their stadium’s capacity.

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                                                                                                Never mind kids, I’m on my 3rd controller as a result of fucking fifa 21
                                                                                                Retirement's a bitch

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

When I was a kid I'd get 8 books from the library every two weeks and read them all. Then the internet came around.
                                                                                                  That really means I read most of the day, but not nearly enough actual books any more. Too many hobbies as well, but you have the most time consuming hobby of all, kids.
                                                                                                  I have very clear memories of cycling down to the library in Stillorgan when I was a kid and on summer holidays, getting there as it opened and taking out whatever number of books you were allowed (maybe 4). Then I'd cycle home, read them all and go back down to get more which I would then read overnight.

Rinse and repeat the next day. Probably about nine at the time.

Comment

Funny

When you think of victims of the Covid-19 pandemic, your mind probably doesn't immediately leap to Yankee Candles, unless you're somehow in the pocket of B

Comment

Funny

When you think of victims of the Covid-19 pandemic, your mind probably doesn't immediately leap to Yankee Candles, unless you're somehow in the pocket of B

Comment

Same as me, reading all night. They'd only let me borrow two and from the kids section so I "borrowed" three adult cards from family to increase the amount to 8. Great times.

Comment

I have very clear memories of cycling down to the library in Stillorgan when I was a kid and on summer holidays, getting there as it opened and taking out whatever number of books you were allowed (maybe 4). Then I'd cycle home, read them all and go back down to get more which I would then read overnight.
                                                                                                          Mine was Dundrum, though only really got into it when they let me use the adults part downstairs. Getting 4 cards was the business. Only ever regularly went to Stillorgan for the pool in Glenalbyn.

Comment

Brexit deal is done apparently. Should be announced shortly.

Comment

Comment

The dinner table training French people achieve is amazing.

Let’s just say I am less than confident of my toddlers ability to sit in a chair and eat a meal rather than run around a restaurant rubbing handfuls of their dinner on strangers.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

The dinner table training French people achieve is amazing.

Let’s just say I am less than confident of my toddlers ability to sit in a chair and eat a meal rather than run around a restaurant rubbing handfuls of their dinner on strangers.
                                                                                                                  The French secret sauce, and the reason why our French-raised kids don't behave themselves, is liberal does of whacks distributed to any misbehaving kid. Early and often. They are brutal about it. That well behaved French kid is so well behaved because they are scared senseless about what will happen to them if they misbehave.

Some of the physical violence has now been replaced with psychological terror, but with the same effect.

Comment

Love it when someone randomly decides to post of video of 4 people getting mown down by an artic truck on a Chinese motorway to a sports group WhatsApp group. Lovely stuff thanks

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                                                      Love it when someone randomly decides to post of video of 4 people getting mown down by an artic truck on a Chinese motorway to a sports group WhatsApp group. Lovely stuff thanks
                                                                                                                      An old favourite

Comment

Gonna plant a flag here for future reference. No matter what the media stories about the deal say, the actual deal will not be anything close to that.

There’s a real smell off this that Johnson needs to bounce this through parliament without the ERG having time to actually understand it.
                                                                                                                        Last edited by Kayroo; 23-12-20, 19:56.
                                                                                                                        You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                                        World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X