This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Yeah insane stuff. Sydney had 100mm yesterday. 250-300mm over the last 5 days. Worst hit areas will get triple that and break 1,000 in a week.
    (For reference, Dublin gets about 750mm a year)

will you have fun creatures like snakes and crocs getting washed into residential areas?
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

aka, 'the back door to UCD'

It is a nice area as Shraaap says, and depending which end of it you're in, quite close to town as it blends into Ranelagh. Suspect it's pretty damn expensive though.
      €575,000 for this slightly disconcertingly carpeted place in Clonskeagh with a ridiculous number of beds in it.

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/townhou...lin-14/2863070

€600k for shite seems absolutely standard. In fact thats not too bad, or maybe I've just seem too many worse places.
      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
        https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/...quintet/190286

Looks a little public for a big gamble
        first one was beaten after half a mile

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

€575,000 for this slightly disconcertingly carpeted place in Clonskeagh with a ridiculous number of beds in it.

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/townhou...lin-14/2863070

€600k for shite seems absolutely standard. In fact thats not too bad, or maybe I've just seem too many worse places.
          I imagine that's a 'rent to UCD students' house by the looks of it

Comment

You see this house:

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-de...lin-18/3146868

Taking the house itself, and ignoring the price range as unrealistic, how much would it cost to extend that type of house from 120sqm to 160sqm? I might have asked this question before, but I think I asked it in a more general sense than now. I guess it would involve building over the garage and incorporating the garage into the house proper, then building a conservatory-style large kitchen area at the back.
            Garage is about 15sqm, and the would be first floor over is probably 20+ sqm. So you'd be In the 155-160 range without extended to the rear. Could do 40sqm at ground level and avoid planning permission. Construction cost for each is probably similar. Having the garage walls saves a bit of money. 80k is probably about right. 100k if you doing a kitchen.

But the rest of the house needs a lot of work tbh. If I bought that place with a cash windfall, and had only 100k to spend. I'd be doing the garage and the rest of the internals before I was increasing the SQM.

Not too far off what we're planning to do (except ours is single story extension and a deep retrofit) - we haven't tendered yet but the architect is guiding 200k
            Sound about right.
            Guessing its over a shade over 40sqm added. Decent level of existing upgrade.
            + a cost multiplier for premium finishers, appreciation for finer things. An Eames Chair.

Comment

wow

AstraZeneca vaccine 100pc effective against severe Covid, study finds

Comment

will you have fun creatures like snakes and crocs getting washed into residential areas?
                Crocs not. I think snakes can swim.
                The spiders are going nuts looking for the high ground.

Comment

***Not a brick in the wall***
                  Solictor issued notice to resolve to the other two firms (our sellers and next door buyers counsel) to sort it out within 28 days or we pull contract and sue for expenses/losses.
                  We can't even go for caretaker role as the legal party we are dealing with technically don't own the property.
                  And even if we did, legally we cannot hang a photo in the place. Given the FIL needs that would create an inhabitable environment for him and mean we couldn;t properly do anything to make the house "ours".
                  As we are in contract, we are left a little in limbo, I would honestly walk away if given the choice.
                  So....now we sue.
                  Suing for Specific Performance but NOT pulling out of contract.
                  We talked it over but returning mortage and all the messing with first time buyers stuff, early return fees, having to start from scratch etc.
                  What this means is vendors are liable for all costs incurred (rent, mortage protection, insurance, storage etc etc etc) so far and all future costs until we take ownership.
                  They in turn will be suing the other buyers solicitors so in for a fun few months of liability denial and arbitration.
                  Land registry stuff is at "mapping" stage a few weeks now but seemingly COVID means no one is answering a phone there.

Just once, I'd like something to be fucking easy
                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

So....now we sue.
                    Suing for Specific Performance but NOT pulling out of contract.
                    We talked it over but returning mortage and all the messing with first time buyers stuff, early return fees, having to start from scratch etc.
                    What this means is vendors are liable for all costs incurred (rent, mortage protection, insurance, storage etc etc etc) so far and all future costs until we take ownership.
                    They in turn will be suing the other buyers solicitors so in for a fun few months of liability denial and arbitration.
                    Land registry stuff is at "mapping" stage a few weeks now but seemingly COVID means no one is answering a phone there.

Just once, I'd like something to be fucking easy
                    Can everyone one involved not just do a swapsies of deeds, and save themselves a lot of pain, time and suffering for what will be the obvious outcome via the courts anyway.
                    Or is there an actual legal reason why that can't happen. Or worse yet, is one of the parties better off with the cock up.

Comment

Crocs not. I think snakes can swim.
                      The spiders are going nuts looking for the high ground.
                      Sounds like the makings of a decent horror movie. Swarms of spiders and shoals of snakes.

Comment

Sound about right.
                        Guessing its over a shade over 40sqm added. Decent level of existing upgrade.
                        + a cost multiplier for premium finishers, appreciation for finer things. An Eames Chair.
                        Ha it is literally a shade (39.5 sq/m) under 40, as that's where you have to apply for pp, and my neighbour is the ex-head of planning for Dublin CC.

Eames chair already in situ

Comment

Can't imagine spending that much money and living in those. Carpets should be outlawed.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                            Can't imagine spending that much money and living in those. Carpets should be outlawed.
                            With one exception: staircases. Otherwise the herd of elephants effect is amplified.

Comment

aka, 'the back door to UCD'

It is a nice area as Shraaap says, and depending which end of it you're in, quite close to town as it blends into Ranelagh. Suspect it's pretty damn expensive though. The German school is there if you want to switch linguistic allegiance.

Ranelagh residents are outraged by this accusation of blending...

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

Any update on the new position at work or did I miss it?
                                Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

'morphs'?

'transforms'?

'slithers'.

Comment

Can everyone one involved not just do a swapsies of deeds, and save themselves a lot of pain, time and suffering for what will be the obvious outcome via the courts anyway.
                                    Or is there an actual legal reason why that can't happen. Or worse yet, is one of the parties better off with the cock up.
                                    It's solicitors at fault and it's the financial houses that have their risk leveraged against the wrong property so nod and wink solution won't really cover it.
                                    I offered 3 months ago to step aside for 6 months for 20k or so off asking. Even given our legal docs have amounts attached that wouldn;t work either
                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Ha it is literally a shade (39.5 sq/m) under 40, as that's where you have to apply for pp, and my neighbour is the ex-head of planning for Dublin CC.

Eames chair already in situ
                                      So, just picking this up across the thread today:

If the size of the extension is under 40sqm and is attached to an existing house, then no pp is needed? I was assuming you do need permission for everything tbh.

Comment

If the size of the extension is under 40sqm and is attached to an existing house, then no pp is needed? I was assuming you do need permission for everything tbh.
                                        as long as it's to the rear and under 40 sq/m, knock yourself out (within reason)

if you want to do stuff at the front (which I think your garage extension would fall under), then you will need to sell your firstborn to the devil to get permission

Comment

It's solicitors at fault and it's the financial houses that have their risk leveraged against the wrong property so nod and wink solution won't really cover it.
                                          I offered 3 months ago to step aside for 6 months for 20k or so off asking. Even given our legal docs have amounts attached that wouldn;t work either
                                          so basically the house is legally unsaleable? Given the speed solicitors work at (this sounds like something that will be measured in years), shouldn't you just dump it?

Comment

For Golf Fans:

New No Laying Up Podcast with Hunter Mahan is great listening. His hot hot run, the Ryder cup, the game and how it affects him, all covered. Really great interview.

Great coffee or walk listening.
                                            This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

as long as it's to the rear and under 40 sq/m, knock yourself out (within reason)

if you want to do stuff at the front (which I think your garage extension would fall under), then you will need to sell your firstborn to the devil to get permission
                                              ah! I did not know that until today.

My dad had some fun with planning. A condition of being a county manager is you have to live in the county you are county manager of, so he managed this rule* into 'you have to be given permission to build anything you want'. In fairness he built a spectacular looking place with that power.

* Edit: legally!
                                              Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 22-03-21, 15:38.

Comment

Would you not want to be either closer to the LUAS or else the DART? Seem to be perfectly in between with a location like that.

Just thinking ahead to when actual presence in your educational establishment may be required...
                                                Totally agree with this - as mentioned before, we're currently looking across a vast swatch of South Dublin, but really focusing on places that are either a walk to the Green Line LUAS or a walk to the DART. A short walk to the N11 QBC is OK too, and this one falls into that category. But there is a big patch of land between the N11 and the DART that just sucks for reliable, fast public transport. Deansgrange in particular.

Our current place went Sale Agreed over the past few days, which is a relief. Made our first bid 'in anger' today Everywhere over asking, the demand side is strong right now!

Comment

Unless this is your dream gaff or has some mad emotional connection you should run away very fast, right now. You're going to be tied up in this for years, not months and its.going to be unbelievably stressful for you, a lot more than it already is. Dont envy you with this. Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                    For Golf Fans:

New No Laying Up Podcast with Hunter Mahan is great listening. His hot hot run, the Ryder cup, the game and how it affects him, all covered. Really great interview.

Great coffee or walk listening.
                                                    Yeah it was very good.

Hack it out podcasts have been decent too. Scott Fawcett is a dick but he really knows his stats. Recent ones with Will Zalatoris and Hovland were very insightful
                                                    His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Any update on the new position at work or did I miss it?
                                                      Not really, the guy doing the hiring was speaking to my direct boss and my direct boss clarified the breakdown of the package to me on Tuesday, which still added up to the same amount as before so not really sure of the point of it.

He asked me if I wanted to take the day off (Paddy's Day) to have a rethink about it in case I wanted to change my mind. It was late in the evening when having this conversation and I was in a rush to get out of the office as I had to collect medicine and some other stuff for my Dad so I didn't particularly want to get I to it again.

Myself and my boss haven't been in the office together since last Tuesday so haven't spoke to him again on it but there is no change from my side. If the offer doesn't change, my answer is still a thanks but no thanks.

Comment

Under 40sqm single story extension - fire away

You would be altering the roof of the garage and/or doing 2 stories so PP required.

We got PP approved - fairly straightforward and handy tbh, takes c3 months to come through and good for 5 years

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                          Deansgrange in particular.
                                                          I don't get Deansgrange at all. It seems be a few houses loosely arranged around furious roads. They really need to do something to reduce the influence of cars in the place as thats the main impression that the place gives - of a thoroughfare for cars with housing as an afterthought.

Comment

You see this house:

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-de...lin-18/3146868

Taking the house itself, and ignoring the price range as unrealistic, how much would it cost to extend that type of house from 120sqm to 160sqm? I might have asked this question before, but I think I asked it in a more general sense than now. I guess it would involve building over the garage and incorporating the garage into the house proper, then building a conservatory-style large kitchen area at the back.
                                                            Thats mad €4500 per sq M

Looking at the finish there your close enough to paying a half a million for the site which looking at the map and doing a rough calc makes it the best part of 20 million an acre for the bit of a back garden and the permission
                                                            No 2 Daughter is going to build close on three times the size of that to a fairly high spec for a lot less than that is costing.

There is something radically wrong with the housing market in Dublin.
                                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Unless this is your dream gaff or has some mad emotional connection you should run away very fast, right now. You're going to be tied up in this for years, not months and its.going to be unbelievably stressful for you, a lot more than it already is. Dont envy you with this. Best of luck.
                                                              ​​​​​​Our solicitor suggested that it would be a quick enough process.
                                                              If RD3 and yourself are correct, then perhaps a withdrawal might be the best solution.

I'm wary that if we go back to square 1, we'll be in this place for another 9 months at least with reapplying for mortgage etc.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post

Yeah it was very good.

Hack it out podcasts have been decent too. Scott Fawcett is a dick but he really knows his stats. Recent ones with Will Zalatoris and Hovland were very insightful
                                                                Will get on Hack it Out. I really like both Zalatoris and Hovland. Hovland is a dork, but he's a genuine dude. Zalatoris is such a good golfer. There's something different about his ball striking. Two people I am looking forward to hearing speak now.

All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

This is also great.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Thats mad €4500 per sq M

Looking at the finish there your close enough to paying a half a million for the site which looking at the map and doing a rough calc makes it the best part of 20 million an acre for the bit of a back garden and the permission
                                                                    No 2 Daughter is going to build close on three times the size of that to a fairly high spec for a lot less than that is costing.

There is something radically wrong with the housing market in Dublin.
                                                                    Location, location, location.....

Comment

​​​​​​Our solicitor suggested that it would be a quick enough process.
                                                                      If RD3 and yourself are correct, then perhaps a withdrawal might be the best solution.

I'm wary that if we go back to square 1, we'll be in this place for another 9 months at least with reapplying for mortgage etc.
                                                                      Jaysis, don't take legal advice from me.

The problem is that it sounds like your solicitor doesn't have control over it, so she can make all the promises she likes but can't deliver on them. If only we had a legal expert on the forum....

Comment

Doesn't really make a difference as long as someone will pay you back the money at the end, and good schools are probably the biggest slow-moving determinant of that. Realistically prices aren't falling even if they are stupidly high as Ireland is only going to become an even more high-value economy as the years progress. Those houses though are super-shit looking.

Comment

Thats very disappointing by the youth of Ireland that they haven't spent the last two weeks out infecting each other. 520 cases ffs, and there's usually one abnormally low day on Tuesdays or Wednesdays.

Comment

Thats very disappointing by the youth of Ireland that they haven't spent the last two weeks out infecting each other. 520 cases ffs, and there's usually one abnormally low day on Tuesdays or Wednesdays.
                                                                            You're on 6529 for 12 days so need 1220 tomorrow\Weds. It's going to be tight either way.

More drama in this than the Cheltenham tipping comp anyway.

Comment

I blame all those Nordies getting vaccinated, and not spreading the pox when the come down here to build stuff.
                                                                              Person...Woman...Man......Camera..TV

Comment

Interesting listening back to todays Liveline. Discussing the Frank McCann double murder case. Always interested me as was only down the road and remember it well, also his nephew who was sadly dying at the time was in school with me.

Its a mad story really but cliffs are he and his missus were attepmting to adopt but it came to the authorities attention that he had groomed/abused and got a girl pregnant while her swimming coach (he was mates with the others involved in all that) so as the Adoption Board had broken for the summer he decided he had to kill the wife and kid before they readjourned so the info wouldnt come out. Spent the summer with 4 failed attmpts to kill them before finally succeding with 3 days to spare. Still got caught and all came out in the wash anyway. Such a waste.

Comment

Cycled into town with Child #1 this afternoon. Quiet as you would imagine but did seem to be a lot of couples who looked like they were on 1st/2nd3rd dates. Dressed excessively well and nervously interacting.

Is that a pandemic thing? Lockdown 'walking around town' dates?
                                                                                  Was fairly common a few months ago, although usually only the women were dressed well. Did see a late thirties couple shifting the face off each other at a bus stop a few evenings ago, and realised I'd be sheltered from seeing strangers doing such things for a long time.

Comment

Doesn't really make a difference as long as someone will pay you back the money at the end, and good schools are probably the biggest slow-moving determinant of that. Realistically prices aren't falling even if they are stupidly high as Ireland is only going to become an even more high-value economy as the years progress. Those houses though are super-shit looking.
                                                                                    Super expensive but no signs of the inputs into that changing. I do spend some time thinking about whether I should buy and ride the wave of cheap money, even though it's not something I really want to do.

Comment

Music King round 5 open (embedding links not working unfortunately)

https://www.irishpokerboards.com/for...eral-interview

Some great videos and a couple of cracking interviews to be seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                        Super expensive but no signs of the inputs into that changing. I do spend some time thinking about whether I should buy and ride the wave of cheap money, even though it's not something I really want to do.
                                                                                        Why make informed life choices when you could instead be gambooling it up in the IPB 2021 Aintree Tipping Comp?

Comment

Six positive tests that we know of today - all from a family funeral (friend of ours aunt) where they went back to the house after. Now three people older than the deceased have it....

Comment

I used to count the days to the international break. Now its MEHHH.

Comment

Six positive tests that we know of today - all from a family funeral (friend of ours aunt) where they went back to the house after. Now three people older than the deceased have it....
                                                                                              Sounds like they need a dressing down from irelands sociopathic representative at NPHET Dr Walley.

My favourite quote from all of Covid came from this article last week.

Dr Walley described situations such as a woman who had attended the funerals of two of her brothers, before becoming very ill with Covid-19 herself.

“I asked her what was the lesson she learned and she said she should not have gone to either of her brother’s funerals,” he said

Last edited by The Situation; 22-03-21, 21:19.
                                                                                              Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post

Sounds like they need a dressing down from irelands sociopathic representative at NPHET Dr Walley.

My favourite quote from all of Covid came from this article last week.

Dr Walley described situations such as a woman who had attended the funerals of two of her brothers, before becoming very ill with Covid-19 herself.

“I asked her what was the lesson she learned and she said she should not have gone to either of her brother’s funerals,” he said
                                                                                                I don't get it? That she should have ignored the warning signs that covid is maybe not a walk in the park due to it KILLING BOTH HER BROTHERS and decided the nanny-state was being over-protective in trying to stop her going to a funeral where she herself got so ill with covid that she was (almost certainly) hospitalised. That if she was given a chance of a do-over she should have done the same thing again. How is that possibly sociopathic by a doctor to suggest actually the good move here was to stay at home, your brothers almost certainly wouldn't want you to have their horrific death.
                                                                                                Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 22-03-21, 21:59.

Comment

I don't get it? That she should have ignored the warning signs that covid is maybe not a walk in the park due to it KILLING BOTH HER BROTHERS and decided the nanny-state was being over-protective in trying to stop her going to a funeral where she herself got so ill with covid that she was (almost certainly) hospitalised. That if she was given a chance of a do-over she should have done the same thing again. How is that possibly sociopathic by a doctor to suggest actually the good move here was to stay at home, your brothers almost certainly wouldn't want you to have their horrific death.
                                                                                                  Warning the public of these risks is perfectly fine. An aftertiming "what lessons have you learned" to a woman who recently buried two members of her family and was presumably quite ill herself (and probably was fully aware of the risks in her decisions) is absolutely unhinged from him.
                                                                                                  Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

Will get on Hack it Out. I really like both Zalatoris and Hovland. Hovland is a dork, but he's a genuine dude. Zalatoris is such a good golfer. There's something different about his ball striking. Two people I am looking forward to hearing speak now.
                                                                                                    I like Zalatoris in the matchplay think it will really suit how he thinks his way around the course. He will be gunning for Bryson too.
                                                                                                    His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

I don't get it?
                                                                                                      This brings to mind advice from the Buddha on components of ethical speech:

"Monks, a statement endowed with five factors is well-spoken, not ill-spoken. It is blameless & unfaulted by knowledgeable people. Which five?

"It is spoken at the right time. It is spoken in truth. It is spoken affectionately. It is spoken beneficially. It is spoken with a mind of good-will."

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post

Warning the public of these risks is perfectly fine. An aftertiming "what lessons have you learned" to a woman who recently buried two members of her family and was presumably quite ill herself (and probably was fully aware of the risks in her decisions) is absolutely unhinged from him.
                                                                                                        It seems like a fairly stark highlighting of the risks though. They're not just picking random cases, they know a lot of transmission is happening around funerals (as per raoul's post tonight) and wanted a story that highlighted to that specific cohort that there's no magic cloak. So now when someone in that cohort is thinking of going to a funeral they'll remember that story and it might stop a few of them going. I've pretty much stopped reading anything to do with covid, and don't have a telly, so not sure its out of trend with how they normally communicate. Seems grand though.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

This brings to mind advice from the Buddha on components of ethical speech:

are you agreeing or wha?!!

I presume because of your training you'd be supportive of this move to influence behaviour by using peer advice in conjunction with expert advice, given how massively influential peer advice is in adjusting behaviour. Maybe the buddha said that and is indeed the OG behavioural researcher.

Comment

It seems like a fairly stark highlighting of the risks though. They're not just picking random cases, they know a lot of transmission is happening around funerals (as per raoul's post tonight) and wanted a story that highlighted to that specific cohort that there's no magic cloak. So now when someone in that cohort is thinking of going to a funeral they'll remember that story and it might stop a few of them going. I've pretty much stopped reading anything to do with covid, and don't have a telly, so not sure its out of trend with how they normally communicate. Seems grand though.
                                                                                                            10% of cases linked to funerals, per tonight's news.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post

I like Zalatoris in the matchplay think it will really suit how he thinks his way around the course. He will be gunning for Bryson too.
                                                                                                              Casey playing quite consistant has to be in with a shout at 33s?

Comment

I must be a big bad covid denier citizen cos if my brother died I'd 100% be at his funeral. And if he died twice id go again too.

the way yer man spoke to that woman was like when you were a kid caught doing something bad. And what did we learn today the parent or teacher would ask condescendingly sarcastically.

Comment

"It is spoken at the right time. It is spoken in truth. It is spoken affectionately. It is spoken beneficially. It is spoken with a mind of good-will."
                                                                                                                  Sounds like the doctor's comment might not pass the third precept. (I hear no undertone of affection but then it's probably something we tend not to look for in public health briefings).

It might pass the other four though.

Comment

Maybe this should be quoted at the NPHET briefings:

Endurance is one of the most difficult disciplines, but it is to the one who endures that the final victory comes
                                                                                                                    Also; they should tell the odd joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                                      Do you invest it instead if you are not sure about the purchase of a house, or sit on it?

Comment

Whether or not he said something silly to a grieving relative he was making a point to a general public that does not want to hear it.

Funerals are a particular problem I've seen two in the last week that drew unreasonable gatherings at different stages. One had a full on overcrowded wake and a huge crowd afterwards. Very easy to understand people being insular and selfish at a really bad time for them but also fuck them.
                                                                                                                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Him being right and privately and publicly dressing her down being the right thing to do are two totally different things. Because it is public, her name might not be known but everyone who knows her will know who she is, family, friends, neighbours, work colleagues etc. She has been shamed for what she did, after already going through an awful lot. That points to him being one giant cunt of a person.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X