Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

This is what the UK Electorate are about to give up everything for.
        They deserve everything they have coming to them, they have the full information in front of them and if they elect these cunce can fuck off and sink into the North Sea.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
          but with evidence that they are generally open based on the seeming freshness of the bread in the window. Going for a fourth attempt this evening - wish me luck!
          I think I have spotted the flaw in your plan

Comment

You think? I did live there with a kid and we were always struggling for things to do. Maybe it increases with the age of the kid.
            toddler.....

playgrounds
            zoo
            museum
            feed ducks
            soft play areas
            nature walks
            cinema
            workshops

there's loads. A lot of the time it's a struggle to do something THE PARENT wants to do but kids wise, there's loads. My daughter is happy playing with a box and her imagination ffs
            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Eating at a fantastic restaurant last week and they served this local bread that was ridic memorable. Tried the bakery three times since then to get the bread again and each time it has been closed despite the opening hours - but with evidence that they are generally open based on the seeming freshness of the bread in the window. Going for a fourth attempt this evening - wish me luck!
              Always assumed bakeries only opened until the bread ran out. Tbf I've only been to 4 places that are just bakeries, 1 in Killarney, 1 in Ashbourne, 1 in Portrane and 1 in Raheny which actually has their opening hours as 7am until the bread is gone lol. But they would all shut up shop soon as they sell out. Need to get to the one in Raheny early such is his reputation. Got there at 11am one morning and he was gone

Raheny Guy also brews his own coffee which is savage if anyone is in the area, its called Bread, Naturally.

Comment

Originally posted by NoRiverRequired View Post
                Off top of my head;

Dublin positives (which are significantly better than other towns/"cities" in Ireland)

- Employment opportunities
                - Education options
                - Nightlife/entertainment
                - Endless high quality dining out options
                - Access to major sporting events
                - Culture museums, galleries, theatre
                - diversity
                -Easy access to almost anywhere via Dublin airport. See friends regulraly having to drive 3 hours home after long flights, makes me shudder

Dublin Negatives
                -Dubs
                -Traffic, but no worse than Galway for example, in my experience
                - Accommodation, yes its a shit show but having lived in Sydney and London maybe im just used to it
                Employment is far and away the primary benefit to being in Dublin. If one has a role outside of Dublin, then I would question the value for most people living there.

I think a lot of the benefits you outlined are not particularly relevant for most.

I assume education options are largely irrelevant for almost all of us as we are either personally beyond that point or we don't have children who rely on Dublin Uni's, not to mention the fact that the educational opportunities elsewhere in the country are very good, not much of a gap.

How often do people visit museums/theatres/galleries/major sporting events/fly abroad? Perhaps theatres/ sporting events but close access to museums/galleries/airport is hardly a tangible plus for anyone here. Even those here who enjoy the theatre/sporting events hardly see living in Dublin as a major benefit given their frequency.

I see the entertainment/nightlife/dining aspect of it but that seems quite easily sacrificed for the benefits of living outside Dublin.

FWIW, I am extremely bias at the minute as my commute has reduced by 2hrs 30mins per day with an increase in take home pay though admittedly I was offered a 50% bump in gross before leaving.

Even as someone who falls into the demographic of those who should enjoy Dublin most, I don't find it a particularly enticing place to live at present. Everyone is different, I, like Keane didn't grow up in Dublin so it's easier for me to move outside all else equal with job opportunities as I don't have quite the ties.
                Additionally those of us tied to people in the public sector are hugely incentivised to be outside Dublin given the salary in the same in Waterford as Dublin.

I like Dublin but even if I was driven by the employment opportunities, culture, dining/entertainment/sporting events, I can think of a number of other cities that I would far prefer to pursue that life in.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                  Employment is far and away the primary benefit to being in Dublin. If one has a role outside of Dublin, then I would question the value for most people living there.

I think a lot of the benefits you outlined are not particularly relevant for most.

I assume education options are largely irrelevant for almost all of us as we are either personally beyond that point or we don't have children who rely on Dublin Uni's, not to mention the fact that the educational opportunities elsewhere in the country are very good, not much of a gap.

How often do people visit museums/theatres/galleries/major sporting events/fly abroad? Perhaps theatres/ sporting events but close access to museums/galleries/airport is hardly a tangible plus for anyone here. Even those here who enjoy the theatre/sporting events hardly see living in Dublin as a major benefit given their frequency.

I see the entertainment/nightlife/dining aspect of it but that seems quite easily sacrificed for the benefits of living outside Dublin.

FWIW, I am extremely bias at the minute as my commute has reduced by 2hrs 30mins per day with an increase in take home pay though admittedly I was offered a 50% bump in gross before leaving.

Even as someone who falls into the demographic of those who should enjoy Dublin most, I don't find it a particularly enticing place to live at present. Everyone is different, I, like Keane didn't grow up in Dublin so it's easier for me to move outside all else equal with job opportunities as I don't have quite the ties.
                  Additionally those of us tied to people in the public sector are hugely incentivised to be outside Dublin given the salary in the same in Waterford as Dublin.

I like Dublin but even if I was driven by the employment opportunities, culture, dining/entertainment/sporting events, I can think of a number of other cities that I would far prefer to pursue that life in.
                  Clearly a minority opinion if you look at demographics

TBH, getting pretty sick of you culchies robbing our tax revenues (75% of all taxes are raised in Dublin, less than 25% spent there)

we should secede and form a city-state
                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by NoRiverRequired View Post
                    Off top of my head;

Dublin positives (which are significantly better than other towns/"cities" in Ireland)

- Employment opportunities
                    - Education options
                    - Nightlife/entertainment
                    - Endless high quality dining out options
                    - Access to major sporting events
                    - Culture museums, galleries, theatre
                    - diversity
                    -Easy access to almost anywhere via Dublin airport. See friends regulraly having to drive 3 hours home after long flights, makes me shudder

Dublin Negatives
                    -Dubs
                    -Traffic, but no worse than Galway for example, in my experience
                    - Accommodation, yes its a shit show but having lived in Sydney and London maybe im just used to it
                    I don't think it would make particularly compelling reading for anyone for me to go through this list in detail, but having read through it I can only say that as a man in my 30s with plenty of money and strong focus on lifestyle the only thing on that list that ever tweaks my nipple is the lack of excellent restaurants in Limerick city (there's plenty decent places, but nowhere of real quality within walking distance).

Education opportunities, art galleries and diversity are not things I find impacting on my sense of contentment and well-being on a regular basis. I have to live in a house and get to/from work every day.

That's what I'm getting at really I suppose.

I could write that list myself having lived there for the bones of ten years but does it make a difference to me that there are only 20 great pubs near me instead of 200? Is it more important that there is only one award-winning museum in Limerick or that I can afford to live in a lovely house in the city centre?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                      What do you think is particularly good about it?
                      Everyone has a different perspective I guess. We lived and worked in Dublin for five years (after London for four), then bought our 'dream house' down the country for six years. And it was good, no complaints really. But something wasn't right and we sold up and moved back to South Dublin last year. I think it was the sojourn away from the city that gave us an appreciation for it tbh. Neither of us are from Dublin or ever imagined that we would return.

We're fifteen minutes from Seapoint, I swim there three times a week and have found it as the most positive activity I've ever done. Also fifteen minutes from the Dublin mountains. I lived in Vancouver for a summer and they were so proud of the natural environment there, I don't see any similar pride in Dublin even though it has similar natural beauty. The kids have an amazing array of activities that were just not available to us down the country, they are loving it. We get a babysitter once a week and head into town to see a play or meal, go to the stella, walk Dun Laoghaire harbour, whatever really but we had stopped doing similar before as the options were so limited. And the people are really, really lovely, I'm constantly surprised by how friendly most people are. Not nearly as much begrudgery or small-mindedness that is so common elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

TBH, getting pretty sick of you culchies robbing our tax revenues (75% of all taxes are raised in Dublin, less than 25% spent there)

What part do you see as a minority opinion?

Do you think that the majority of people in the demographic prefer living in Dublin for the various aforementioned reasons or are they living there out of necessity because the disparity in opportunities is so vast between Dublin and the rest of the country?

I think there is clear increase in job opportunities outside of Dublin, obviously I don't think that's driven by employee's demands but I do think it's a factor.

I see Cork leaving before Dublin

Comment

Originally posted by mcnugget View Post
                          Everyone has a different perspective I guess. We lived and worked in Dublin for five years (after London for four), then bought our 'dream house' down the country for six years. And it was good, no complaints really. But something wasn't right and we sold up and moved back to South Dublin last year. I think it was the sojourn away from the city that gave us an appreciation for it tbh. Neither of us are from Dublin or ever imagined that we would return.

We're fifteen minutes from Seapoint, I swim there three times a week and have found it as the most positive activity I've ever done. Also fifteen minutes from the Dublin mountains. I lived in Vancouver for a summer and they were so proud of the natural environment there, I don't see any similar pride in Dublin even though it has similar natural beauty. The kids have an amazing array of activities that were just not available to us down the country, they are loving it. We get a babysitter once a week and head into town to see a play or meal, go to the stella, walk Dun Laoghaire harbour, whatever really but we had stopped doing similar before as the options were so limited. And the people are really, really lovely, I'm constantly surprised by how friendly most people are. Not nearly as much begrudgery or small-mindedness that is so common elsewhere.
                          100% agree with this tbf.

Comment

This is it.

I think the biggest thing I've taken from the last few years is that the only way to do it is to sit down and try to figure out what a great lifestyle looks like for you, then work your way back from there.

For us at the time we wanted to be able to be financially comfortable, with a nice place to live and a less hectic environment, ideally with reasonably easy access to home. Once you had enumerated that list it couldn't have been more obvious for us that moving out of Dublin was the thing to do, and in our case it's gone almost unbelievably well.

I doubt I will be staying in Limerick for the rest of my life but the important thing is to home in on the things that really matter and work back from there.

Comment

@Hitch - I think the 'Dublin is terrible for public transport' and 'can't do anything without a car' issue is also a bit overblown in your own case (RDIII said as much above); you mentioned you'd be probably buying a house, right? With the salaries you have mentioned, you could get a nice house within two minutes walk of the Green Line Luas, won't need a car and have loads of options open to you in terms of getting to work comfortably, getting in and out of town on the weekends with your family, and so on. The amount you'll save not having a car will more than pay for those occasions when you need to go somewhere off the Green Line and can splash out for a taxi.

It's not like you'll be forced to live in deepest darkest Meath/Kildare/wherever and grow to hate your life with a soul-draining commute. Lots of people have to deal with that and I'm sure it sucks, but I'm thinking you'll be in a position to completely negate that?

Comment

if you can choose afford the right location, even with the generally substandard transport infrastructure, then it is fine i.e be near DART and or LUAS

I think it's in our nature to run the place down but all in all, I think Dublin is a great city.
                                FYP

Until recently I felt that living in a rural area within 50K of An Lar was the best of both worlds but the abject failure of Dublin to build upwards and accommodate its own growing population has made both the City and the suburbs much worse.

Comment

Any good quiz questions lately?

Comment

Comment

culture in Dublin is all about music and theatre, and that's for the adult population and not (really) children. museum offering is poor tbh.

Hitch: don't worry about the kids, they will be happy wherever, and i agree, Dublin is a wonderful place if you have a car. mountains, lochs, beaches, some of the most amazing places i've been to, all within a 45 minutes drive from the city centre, so get your driving licence!

City centre has little to offer other than for going out and socialising

Comment

Any good quiz questions lately?
                                        Did you see 'I'm not here to make friends' Brandon from Brooklyn owning UC the other night?
                                        Imperial hot favs for the series with the 2nd best on the team being a lad from Dublin.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                          Did you see 'I'm not here to make friends' Brandon from Brooklyn owning UC the other night?
                                          Imperial hot favs for the series with the 2nd best on the team being a lad from Dublin.
                                          No I haven't been watching it. I'd say UC and Masterchef are the only two things on TV I have any interest in, but because I watch so little I never realise they are on.

Last year I was able to stream repeats of all the UC episodes on Kodi, must see if I can do so again this year.

Comment

Jeez living outside Dublin in the prime of life seems like a death sentence to me. Can only imagine living back in Sligo now. If anything Dublin seems like a big village to me, will look forward to eventually moving somewhere bigger. Depends on the type of person you are I guess, can totally see why lots of people like the country. I really value eating out in different places, exploring/walking around the city and talking to random people, the amenities, hundreds of friends I have here and my easy access to them, variety of things to do and still feel like there's fuck all to do compared to London (because there is). I'm in town 5-7 days a week and I get to and from there by foot as I live really close, that's pretty class.

But anyway, my Tempur just arrived after two months so if you want me for the next few weeks I'll be in my bunk.

Comment

It really comes down to preferences. I was born in Dublin, I'm always going to have a bias towards it. But I spent my teenage years in a more rural area.

I don't want to go back to knowing nearly everyone in whatever pub I'm in, or for going out to be a hassle. If I want go to a gig or a show or a night out, right now it's walk away. I don't have worry about taxies or trains or booking a night to stay. I'm sure as I get older I'll care less about that and want something quieter. But all I want now is a vibrant city.

Comment

I see Cork leaving before Dublin
                                                please God

Comment

here's the world's most livable cities according to some subjective journalist filling space

Been to five of them.

Canada and Japan score very highly.

Comment

the flow of salami from Kildare to Dublin should redress this grievous injustice

Comment

You could call it "The Pale"

Comment

Big full moon out there...

Comment

FYP

Until recently I felt that living in a rural area within 50K of An Lar was the best of both worlds but the abject failure of Dublin to build upwards and accommodate its own growing population has made both the City and the suburbs much worse.
                                                          That's starting to change a bit, at least when I look out my office window in the docklands. Suspect that is mostly Offices but definitely some apartments going in there too.

Obviously if anyone tried to build anything in my leafy suburb we'll be onto Joe like a shot.

Comment

I left Dublin nearly 9 years ago and would love to go back but the cost of living puts me off, the same opinion is held by my mates all of a similar age (early 30's) who also live here in Calgary so much so that we were floating the idea of moving to Cork if we went back, Cork! As we're used to driving two, three, four hours on a Friday for some skiing, golf, camping, hiking etc and doing it again Sunday afternoon so Dublin wouldn't be too far away if we wanted to see family/friends more regularly. Friends that have gone back and live in Dublin have had to take a large cut to how much they have for socialising/travelling etc due to rental costs but do love being back there.

The Canadian missus got a taste of Dublin during the summer last year, loved it and wants to move, she's getting another taste in February so I'll see if she still wants to do that after she's blasted out of it by the rain on a daily basis.

Calgary has lots of positives, cost of living versus earnings is very good (although the rubbish Canadian dollar makes travelling outside of the country more expensive), clean, safe, nice people, Rocky mountains close by, summer brings consistent good weather for 5 months for outdoor activities. Cons would be, socially it can be quiet (although I think Dublin is a bit of an outlier when it comes to what it offers), and the biggest one, it's currently -9°C outside and has been freezing for the last week, and will be on and off freezing for the next 4 months so it's not somewhere I will be when I get older but Dublin unfortunately is likely off the list too.
                                                            Last edited by Charlie Sheen; 11-12-19, 16:57.

Comment

This is it.

I think the biggest thing I've taken from the last few years is that the only way to do it is to sit down and try to figure out what a great lifestyle looks like for you, then work your way back from there.

For us at the time we wanted to be able to be financially comfortable, with a nice place to live and a less hectic environment, ideally with reasonably easy access to home. Once you had enumerated that list it couldn't have been more obvious for us that moving out of Dublin was the thing to do, and in our case it's gone almost unbelievably well.

I doubt I will be staying in Limerick for the rest of my life but the important thing is to home in on the things that really matter and work back from there.
                                                              The one thing I always take from my trips to the Wesht is the sheer amount of rain - like 3 times as much as Dublin

Does it not drive you insane? Thanks for being our rain coat btw

Comment

Cut off a big unused lump of the Phoenix park and build houses there

Plant a few 1000 trees elsewhere to carbon wash it

Comment

My made up stat wasn't far wrong. https://www.revenue.ie/en/corporate/...ts-county.aspx

63% of all CT
                                                                  52% of all PAYE
                                                                  61% of all VAT

You culchies should drop to your knees and bow your heads in servile gratitude every time your Dublin benefactors passes by.

I'd say 'you're welcome' but clearly I would prefer that we blow our cash on urban schemes like monorails and a metro stop at every house.

Comment

57% of all taxes raised in Dublin. That's pretty fucking shocking.

What a drag on Dublin you boggers are.

I hope you feel suitably ashamed and this turns you to more productive use of your time.

Comment

The one thing I always take from my trips to the Wesht is the sheer amount of rain - like 3 times as much as Dublin

Not so I'd notice tbh. I see from here Limerick gets 981mm of rain per annum vs 767mm in Dublin. It's a good difference alright although I suppose the more important thing would be what % of the time it's lashing. The rain wouldn't stop me from getting out on the bike for instance unless it's woeful altogether. At a guess I'd say it's probably drier in Limerick than it is below in Kerry, but then you're over an hour from the sea so it's a trade off.

I think as a nation we're just bad at dressing for the conditions anyway. A warm pair of socks, a wax jacket and a good pair of shoes and it's easy enough to get over the rain. We're born waterproof after all.

Comment

57% of all taxes raised in Dublin. That's pretty fucking shocking.

What a drag on Dublin you boggers are.

I hope you feel suitably ashamed and this turns you to more productive use of your time.
                                                                        I would say 57% of the tax from 30% of the population considering the investment since the foundation of the state is fairly disappointing.

It's foreigners and culchies generating all of it anyway, the only thing Dubs are any good for these days is football.

Comment

I would say 57% of the tax from 30% of the population considering the investment since the foundation of the state is fairly disappointing.

It's foreigners and culchies generating all of it anyway, the only thing Dubs are any good for these days is football.
                                                                          and producing knackers like McSkanger

tbf

Comment

tbf
                                                                            I think we'll have to take him on as a national embarrassment tbf. You couldn't blame anyone that bad on just one place.

Comment

That's more a Connaught/Donegal thing

The Ice age basically broke to Irelands left (something like that)and were fucked ever since

So, ya, yer welcome

Comment

I think we'll have to take him on as a national embarrassment tbf. You couldn't blame anyone that bad on just one place.
                                                                                you already have Roy Keane

we'll take one for the team

Comment

Not so I'd notice tbh. I see from here Limerick gets 981mm of rain per annum vs 767mm in Dublin. It's a good difference alright although I suppose the more important thing would be what % of the time it's lashing. The rain wouldn't stop me from getting out on the bike for instance unless it's woeful altogether. At a guess I'd say it's probably drier in Limerick than it is below in Kerry, but then you're over an hour from the sea so it's a trade off.

I think as a nation we're just bad at dressing for the conditions anyway. A warm pair of socks, a wax jacket and a good pair of shoes and it's easy enough to get over the rain. We're born waterproof after all.
                                                                                  This is something I only really noticed when I left due to most people here having decent gear for the weather they deal with. It rains all the time and probably 1% of people I know who live in Ireland spend money on getting themselves some decent clothes for their commute/daily life. Everyone seems to be content with the getting soaked, probably the reason everyone seems to be sniffling, out in the rain with clothes that absorb water!

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                    Jeez living outside Dublin in the prime of life seems like a death sentence to me. Can only imagine living back in Sligo now. If anything Dublin seems like a big village to me, will look forward to eventually moving somewhere bigger. Depends on the type of person you are I guess, can totally see why lots of people like the country. I really value eating out in different places, exploring/walking around the city and talking to random people, the amenities, hundreds of friends I have here and my easy access to them, variety of things to do and still feel like there's fuck all to do compared to London (because there is). I'm in town 5-7 days a week and I get to and from there by foot as I live really close, that's pretty class.

But anyway, my Tempur just arrived after two months so if you want me for the next few weeks I'll be in my bunk.
                                                                                    You're vegan though, you'd starve anywhere else in Ireland

For all the reasons you mentioned above, I'm not particularly fond of Dublin.

I'd pick London, NY, Vancouver, San Fran, Melbourne, Sydney to name a few.

Dublin to me is a little like no man's land. If I wanted a real city experience, I'd pick elsewhere.

Comment

tbf
                                                                                      you already have Roy Keane

we'll take one for the team
                                                                                      Raise

West Life... all in!

Comment

It rains a whole lot more often in Sligo/Galway where I've lived than here in Dublin, it's not even close. I was shocked how little it rained here when i moved over. Was like, why didn't anybody tell me?

I also coughed for months though, which shows the level of air cleanliness I was used to.

Comment

Bit of a stretch.

This is it.

This is exactly it, Charlie Sheen below pretty much said what I was gonna say. I've been thinking of moving home a lot lately with the oul pair getting on, a nephew growing up and buddies popping out sprogs.

I dont think it makes sense though. I also obviously suffer from the greenwashing us expats do when abroad, the nostalgia and banter, when in reality its a commute home on a pissy afternoon 65% of the time.

here's the world's most livable cities according to some subjective journalist filling space

Been to five of them.

Canada and Japan score very highly.
                                                                                          Why is Canada surprising?

Originally posted by Charlie Sheen View Post
                                                                                          I left Dublin nearly 9 years ago and would love to go back but the cost of living puts me off, the same opinion is held by my mates all of a similar age (early 30's) who also live here in Calgary so much so that we were floating the idea of moving to Cork if we went back, Cork! As we're used to driving two, three, four hours on a Friday for some skiing, golf, camping, hiking etc and doing it again Sunday afternoon so Dublin wouldn't be too far away if we wanted to see family/friends more regularly. Friends that have gone back and live in Dublin have had to take a large cut to how much they have for socialising/travelling etc due to rental costs but do love being back there.

The Canadian missus got a taste of Dublin during the summer last year, loved it and wants to move, she's getting another taste in February so I'll see if she still wants to do that after she's blasted out of it by the rain on a daily basis.

Calgary has lots of positives, cost of living versus earnings is very good (although the rubbish Canadian dollar makes travelling outside of the country more expensive), clean, safe, nice people, Rocky mountains close by, summer brings consistent good weather for 5 months for outdoor activities. Cons would be, socially it can be quiet (although I think Dublin is a bit of an outlier when it comes to what it offers), and the biggest one, it's currently -9°C outside and has been freezing for the last week, and will be on and off freezing for the next 4 months so it's not somewhere I will be when I get older but Dublin unfortunately is likely off the list too.
                                                                                          One thing you cannot forget about is just how easy living here is. Healthcare, social services, government services, traffic everything is just easy.

Housing is very very affordable. 3 bed, 3 bath house, basement, back garden/yard etc $375k. Granted we are in Copperfield...

I definitely wouldn't make the salary I make here at home either. Not even close I suspect. The Alberta Advantage, although with the destroying of the SRED credits now Id say this might reduce in tech.
                                                                                          This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                            It rains a whole lot more often in Sligo/Galway where I've lived than here in Dublin, it's not even close. I was shocked how little it rained here when i moved over. Was like, why didn't anybody tell me?

I also coughed for months though, which shows the level of air cleanliness I was used to.
                                                                                            Keane definitely left a digit off his stat...I suspect a 3

Galway (where the wife is from) is lovely but fuck, the constant rain. It even comes up through the ground in the form of turloughs.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                              BWhy is Canada surprising?
                                                                                              just a country with a very low profile

Comment

FYP

As expensive as its now become, a gaf out the tipper road towards Forenoughts would be the ideal. Or was always something I thought would be the ideal, not sure how it is now.
                                                                                                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Sheen View Post
                                                                                                  This is something I only really noticed when I left due to most people here having decent gear for the weather they deal with. It rains all the time and probably 1% of people I know who live in Ireland spend money on getting themselves some decent clothes for their commute/daily life. Everyone seems to be content with the getting soaked, probably the reason everyone seems to be sniffling, out in the rain with clothes that absorb water!
                                                                                                  I too had this bizarre thing where I had nothing for rain, because nobody else did and I didn't think of it at all. Now I have 3 raincoats and an umbrella that would make Raoul green with envy. But it's only in the las few years I was like, wait a minute, it can rain and I don't ahve to get socked, how interesting.
                                                                                                  You're vegan though, you'd starve anywhere else in Ireland

For all the reasons you mentioned above, I'm not particularly fond of Dublin.

I'd pick London, NY, Vancouver, San Fran, Melbourne, Sydney to name a few.

Dublin to me is a little like no man's land. If I wanted a real city experience, I'd pick elsewhere.
                                                                                                  Even Sligo has a couple of vegan restaurants now. Galway is good enough, as is cork. No experience of most other places in a long time.

I completely agree about Dublin - it's just the best we have here. I'd pick London or NY personally for actual cool city experiences, or Barcelona would be AMAZING if it wasn't for the shit pay etc. Have mostly just been stuck here because I enjoy my job and have been in non-stop relationships since I was a teen, I'd find it much easier to move away if I was single. It's always my plan then my heart/penis gets in the way with people who hate London.

It's grand for people that don't do much extra curricular activities to live anywhere. Ireland's countryside is amazing, I loved growing up there, it was unreal. Now I want to go to a wine/whiskey tastings, tasting menus, run my board game meetup, do dance/singing classes, do some random popup events and so on, a short hop away from hiking too. The list goes on an on, and it's just the kind of person somebody is. It's very different for my friend who moved to Sligo recently to have his kid and just hang about there with his family.
                                                                                                  Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 11-12-19, 17:26.

Comment

On a completely related shit talk topic.

Is anyone around for a pint over the xmas break? I'm home for a bit and there are many many people here I've met before and would pint with again. Fine pintmen.

And others who I haven't and would love to pint with.
                                                                                                    Would love to man. When you back, message me.on fb or Insta?

Comment

just a country with a very low profile
                                                                                                      Shhhhhhh

I do think Toronto suffers from size and congestion and pesky americans.
                                                                                                      I know Vancouver suffers from housing costs and availability.

Goldilocks zone Calgary here is the nuts. Although you do have to deal with a bunch of texas north types and rednecks, brutal stretches of -30 (last feb was literally a month of -30 and face melting wind chill).

I cant overstate how easy the government services of all types are here either. A veritable socialist hat on the head of a crazed buffoon to our south.

Comment

Shhhhhhh

I do think Toronto suffers from size and congestion and pesky americans.
                                                                                                        I know Vancouver suffers from housing costs and availability.

Goldilocks zone Calgary here is the nuts. Although you do have to deal with a bunch of texas north types and rednecks, brutal stretches of -30 (last feb was literally a month of -30 and face melting wind chill).

I cant overstate how easy the government services of all types are here either. A veritable socialist hat on the head of a crazed buffoon to our south.
                                                                                                        you had me at -30

SPOILER
                                                                                                        me hole, that is fucking mad - are you insane?

Comment

Here's a list with Dublin on it #33

Comment

you had me at -30

SPOILER
                                                                                                            me hole, that is fucking mad - are you insane?
                                                                                                            Decent lol when I think back, it may have only been a few days of -30, but the rest were prob -18 or so.

It was so cold one of the days you couldn't snowboard. Now, not that you couldn't get up there, or brave the weather but that it was so cold the snow under your board just wouldn't melt so you didn't go anywhere. That was a first for me.

Comment

Lived in Dublin’s fair city from 2001- summer 2018. I do miss it I must admit. Now in Navan sure you might miss Auschwitz if you moved to Navan. I lived 5 mins walk from the Phoenix park loved having a destressing walk or jog around it great for cheap dates knew every knook in it. I’d happily move back but the wife done 13 years here between college and work and does not want to raise kids here. People calling out museums as a benefit how many times do you really go ? I do love the selection of pubs in town the buzz on a Friday evening same on big sports days it’s hard to replicate. I do hate the walking dead drug addicts Alcos who ruin the city center in my opinion but I do feel sorry for them. Think it’s very obviously different strokes for different folks.

Comment

Keane definitely left a digit off his stat...I suspect a 3

Galway (where the wife is from) is lovely but fuck, the constant rain. It even comes up through the ground in the form of turloughs.
                                                                                                                I'd walk into NUIG every day, about 5-15 minutes, depending on where home was that year, and so very frequently would I be soaked. When you arrived and went to the bathroom it would be like a gathering of vets with PTSD shaking - under the hand dryers or just sitting on the ground in a corner looking into the distance, eyes glossed over.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                                                                                                                  Lived in Dublin’s fair city from 2001- summer 2018. I do miss it I must admit. Now in Navan sure you might miss Auschwitz if you moved to Navan. I lived 5 mins walk from the Phoenix park loved having a destressing walk or jog around it great for cheap dates knew every knook in it. I’d happily move back but the wife done 13 years here between college and work and does not want to raise kids here. People calling out museums as a benefit how many times do you really go ? I do love the selection of pubs in town the buzz on a Friday evening same on big sports days it’s hard to replicate. I do hate the walking dead drug addicts Alcos who ruin the city center in my opinion but I do feel sorry for them. Think it’s very obviously different strokes for different folks.
                                                                                                                  Hate to break it to ya puppy but there is druggies and alcos everywhere nowadays.

Just had some Roma chancer and her two kids burst through We Wish you a Merry Christmas at the front door. When they eventually stopped I wished them a Merry Christmas and closed the door firmly.

Comment

Hate to break it to ya puppy but there is druggies and alcos everywhere nowadays.

Just had some Roma chancer and her two kids burst through We Wish you a Merry Christmas at the front door. When they eventually stopped I wished them a Merry Christmas and closed the door firmly.
                                                                                                                    Ah heorr I’m nearly as old as you I know but the concentration in Dublin is possibly worse don’t have the stats. I’m never hounded in Navan for a yuro fir a hostil if I have a pint outside.

Comment

...

Comment

Here's a list with Dublin on it #33
                                                                                                                        Fun times doing it the other way round and seeing which of the shitholes on the bottom of the list you've been to.

Antanarivo, Lagos and Harare for me. Don't recall any of them as being especially terrible tbf

Comment

One thing you cannot forget about is just how easy living here is. Healthcare, social services, government services, traffic everything is just easy.

Housing is very very affordable. 3 bed, 3 bath house, basement, back garden/yard etc $375k. Granted we are in Copperfield...

I definitely wouldn't make the salary I make here at home either. Not even close I suspect. The Alberta Advantage, although with the destroying of the SRED credits now Id say this might reduce in tech.
                                                                                                                          I found the health services fantastic when I went to them
                                                                                                                          'Hey doctor I have this lump here that I'd like checked'
                                                                                                                          X-rays, scans, biopsy all done within three/four days and results back a few days after that with the all clear which all seemed incredibly fast. No idea how long this would take back in Ireland with no health insurance.

Housing is really affordable, the downturn in economy slowed it down the last few years but even when it was booming it was still affordable, Vancouver and Toronto are different altogether. It's incredible the amount of houses, large scale apartment complexes, towers, townhouses etc that are still getting built. Copperfield won't seem that far in a few years, when there's more communities south of Seton .

Who knew the conservatives would cut incentives outside the oil and gas industry!
                                                                                                                          Last edited by Charlie Sheen; 11-12-19, 17:52.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X