Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
    Yeah OK maybe there is some stats pointing to an increase in first time winners. You have to take into account the money on offer now. Less barriers to play the game. Bigger populations. More courses.

There is a myriad of factors.

My point still stands that Tiger and Jack were not surrounded by bums and all today's mid level players are superstars.

There is a smaller gap between the top 100 and top 500 for sure but, if everyone was so much better why would we not have a different major winner every time? How could Tiger win a major this year playing at a fraction of how he played is his pomp?
    Jaysus . A fraction. He was nailing putts on a course he knows like the back of his hand . He was one of several different major winner's these past few years . TIGER is more likey to enduce froth from fan boys than Rory . Seen it here many times . Been insulted over it .

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
      Jaysus . A fraction. He was nailing putts on a course he knows like the back of his hand . He was one of several different major winner's these past few years . TIGER is more likey to enduce froth from fan boys than Rory . Seen it here many times . Been insulted over it .
      Don't you dare say a bad word about my Tiger. The GOAT.

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
        You can't even comprehend the point we are discussing when it is spelled out to you like an infant so I give up.

Physicality has no bearing in the debate.
        Why not daddy ? It's a different game now. Think about about it. I've offered money on TIGER not making it back to no.1 . Got insulted .
        You seem excited . Might I suggest a copy of the 2019 masters and a wank?

Froth froth froth

Comment

There is nothing in the world as boring as men arguing about sport.

Comment

Golf is shite. Hope that clears it up.
            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
              Whatever gets us through the day!

Comment

People complaining about it is pretty close.

Comment

Equally boring when women argue about sport, let's not make this a gender thing.

Comment

HJ is a feminist so his sexism does not surprise me.

Comment

Rory’s a mental midget and anything else is noise.

The second any pressure is on him he crumbles. He’s a biscuit.

Proof, if it’s needed, is literally any major in the last 5 years and it’s been getting worse. He had pressure on him, either applied by himself or otherwise at Portrush. He blasted OB off the tee, missed a 3footer and was downright waffley on day 1.

So day 2 then no pressure to start.... and he shoots lights out. The literal second pressure comes back, on 18 when he needs to stick the green he tugs is left and biscuits again.

At the weekend Brooks crushes him by just keeping pressure on and not giving him a break.
                      He needs a professional caddy and a new coach.
                      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

So your Ozil rant was just a statement . I see.

Comment

Back to the golf.

The new crop coming out of college this year is really
                          Something.

Both Morikawa and Wolff winning in only a few starts with Hovland having a few T10’s already.

Morikawa might be the best of them based on what I’ve seen.

He is crazy good tee to green and while he hasn’t putted great he showed serious nuts when he lost to Wolff and closing with 4 birdies in the last 5 to
                          Win yesterday
                          His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                            Golf is shite. Hope that clears it up.
                            I used to be a non believer. I have seem the light.
                            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                              Rory’s a mental midget and anything else is noise.

The second any pressure is on him he crumbles. He’s a biscuit.

Proof, if it’s needed, is literally any major in the last 5 years and it’s been getting worse. He had pressure on him, either applied by himself or otherwise at Portrush. He blasted OB off the tee, missed a 3footer and was downright waffley on day 1.

So day 2 then no pressure to start.... and he shoots lights out. The literal second pressure comes back, on 18 when he needs to stick the green he tugs is left and biscuits again.

At the weekend Brooks crushes him by just keeping pressure on and not giving him a break.
                              He needs a professional caddy and a new coach.
                              I think alot of that is noise tbh.

I think people are too quick to jump to mental issues with athletes generally tbh.
                              Sticking with golf & Rory who has gone 20 majors without a win.
                              Take Ernie Els, he went over 22 majors between his 2nd & 3rd major and then went 40 majors between his 3rd & 4th.
                              Sergio has only recently won his first, DJ took quite along time -given his incredible talent- before he won his first(& only), Mickelson went years as we all know before the floodgates broke.

Rory has not lived up to the major hype since 2015 but this mental frailty thing is thrown around so often without much merit and people have a very short memory.

If his accomplishments were viewed a little less often through the Woods & Nicklaus prism then we could probably conclude that having won 4 thus far is a fantastic achievement and not having won one in the last 20 attempts is not that incredible.

@Elbow love Wolff, his swing is unreal.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post
                                Back to the golf.

The new crop coming out of college this year is really
                                Something.

Both Morikawa and Wolff winning in only a few starts with Hovland having a few T10’s already.

Morikawa might be the best of them based on what I’ve seen.

He is crazy good tee to green and while he hasn’t putted great he showed serious nuts when he lost to Wolff and closing with 4 birdies in the last 5 to
                                Win yesterday
                                Saw this breakdown of his stats earlier.

Comment

He's definitely getting a tougher ride since he follows Tiger as the next big thing. Thats true.

Els wasn't near as talented a golfer as Rory imo. But point taken over major drought.

The thing that makes me think the mental thing has merit is that there is actual empirical evidence of it. That routine approach on 18 at the Open Day 2....
                                  The OB off the tee on Day 1.
                                  Yesterday his wedge (and his wedge games been strong lately) from inside Koepka off the tee to 5 feet outside him on 8 (I think).

There are likely countless examples of him "missing" when it matters. I think if you went back throuhg his rounds with this perspective you'd see it (I havent, its a hypotheses).

You could argue thats golf, and its high variance but I dont think so. Arguments like "He cna crush a field when he is on" almost lend credence to the fragility argument, he is on when there is no pressure... off when there is.

Outside of all that, having your best mate on the bag is bullshit. He needs someone to get his mind right when he's wavering. Harry doesnt look like he can do that.

Comment

I'm not even opposed to the idea that there are mental issues but I find it hard to believe that he isn't surrounded by the best sports psychologists in the world so he's as prepared as any player for the moment albeit with more pressure than most.

Also not opposed to the idea that he could improve his mentality by any means but I'm just not convinced he could perform at the level he does week in & week out, then all of a sudden it's gone come the majors especially in light of him having of a record of 11/20 Top 10's in that time with 5 top 5's.

I think it's quite hyperbolic, when you hear his mentality is shite come majors, he's a bottler etc but if it's that bad, does he have that type of record over that span, I'm not convinced, that's all.

Admittedly that's a simplistic view and I take your point that if you view the rounds when pressure is on what's his game like but I'm just not convinced it's as bad as people portray it.

I mean what's the odds he would have won no majors in the last 20, 1/5 or 1/6, that type of shot lose all the time.

Comment

Is there a max amount you can transfer to someone in one go on a basic Revolut account?

Comment

Originally posted by TheJiggaman View Post
                                        Is there a max amount you can transfer to someone in one go on a basic Revolut account?
                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                          Game 1 tied, extended to 5pm today.

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...01#post1104601
                                          Was still tied at 5pm, open until 9:30am tomorrow.

Comment

Anyone else struggling to sleep in this dead heat.. Currently In portlaoise btw 2 windows open. It's stifling 🔥
                                            Her sky-ness
                                            © 5starpool

Comment

Elshambles and elbows right, he can't putt.

Drive for show, putt for dough and it certainly applies to Rory.

Masters 2/3 years ago, pumped up final day, great approach to 1, then 3 putts, bye bye.

If he could putt like spieth or koepka he'd be unstoppable..........imo of course

Comment

Did Churchill ever sneak out a back door to avoid the boos and jeers of a few Scots?

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                  Did Churchill ever sneak out a back door to avoid the boos and jeers of a few Scots?

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                                                    Elshambles and elbows right, he can't putt.

Drive for show, putt for dough and it certainly applies to Rory.

Masters 2/3 years ago, pumped up final day, great approach to 1, then 3 putts, bye bye.

If he could putt like spieth or koepka he'd be unstoppable..........imo of course
                                                    McIlroy might not be able to putt which is fair critique but the above has been highlighted to be another sporting fable that's unfounded.

Originally posted by GolfersDigest View Post
                                                    -- "You don't drive for show and putt for dough. It's really the long game that matters."

Speaking Saturday at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference, Columbia University professor Mark Broadie outlined one of the new conclusions from his new book, Every Shot Counts. In it, he describes how good putting has been overvalued for far too long.

The idea is relatively simple: for example, if a pro shoots three over par on a day where par is the norm, and he loses a stroke to the field putting, where is he losing the other three strokes? The only other place he or she can lose them is from tee to green.*

"The long game is the best separator between the best tour pros and average tour pros," Broadie said. "The long game explains about two-thirds of scoring."

Tiger Woods, Justin Rose and Hunter Mahan's swing instructor, Sean Foley, appeared alongside Broadie at the discussion, titled "Every Shot Counts: Using Analytics to Improve Golf Performance." He spoke about how he uses the data to form new practice routines.

"Distance is far more of an indicator [of success] than accuracy" Foley said.

"That's maybe not true at the U.S. Open ... but overall, if I have the choice of giving someone five extra miles per hour in clubhead speed or have him hit the corresponding amount of more fairways, net earnings will increase more from the extra swing speed."

Foley says his students are receptive to the new wave of data-formed ideas, but that golf still has a long way to go.*

*"So much of what we believe has been handed down through nostalgia," Foley says. "I look at this strictly as business."
                                                    :

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                      Anyone else struggling to sleep in this dead heat.. Currently In portlaoise btw 2 windows open. It's stifling 🔥
                                                      Got a tower fan a few weeks ago that has made a huge difference to this.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                        McIlroy might not be able to putt which is fair critique but the above has been highlighted to be another sporting fable that's unfounded.
                                                        The notion might have been debunked - I have no clue about golf really.
                                                        The the “proof” offered by the Columbia professor is lolworthy. It’s just a completely made up example. If he lost 2 shots on the greens and 3 overall, suddenly putting was worth twice as much. Should probably be comparing to the winner not par too - thats the moneyspot.

Maybe the real stats debunk the notion, I don’t know. But I’m sure that example doesn’t.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                          The notion might have been debunked - I have no clue about golf really.
                                                          The the “proof” offered by the Columbia professor is lolworthy. It’s just a completely made up example. If he lost 2 shots on the greens and 3 overall, suddenly putting was worth twice as much. Should probably be comparing to the winner not par too - thats the moneyspot.

Maybe the real stats debunk the notion, I don’t know. But I’m sure that example doesn’t.
                                                          The 2/3 thing relates to a metric which isn't all that complex either called Putting Contribution to Victory(PCV) which estimates the average tour winner gains 35% of their strokes from putting and remainder T2G.

Also lots more indicators too such as best putters actually earning less money than best drivers as well as best players T2G being more highly ranked than best putters.

I'm not saying that putting isn't incredibly important, it's often a separator but it's value is often overestimated.

Comment

It's McIlroy's wedge play that is absolute shit - His putting is fine to an extent.

He's leaving himself 15 footers regularly from 100yrd wedge shots.

Comment

the average tour winner gains 35% of their strokes from putting and remainder T2G.
                                                              But they take twice as many shots as putts, so does that not equalise things?

Comment

The 2/3 thing relates to a metric which isn't all that complex either called Putting Contribution to Victory(PCV) which estimates the average tour winner gains 35% of their strokes from putting and remainder T2G.

Also lots more indicators too such as best putters actually earning less money than best drivers as well as best players T2G being more highly ranked than best putters.

I'm not saying that putting isn't incredibly important, it's often a separator but it's value is often overestimated.
                                                                Not disputing the importance of one over the other.
                                                                Just outing out that;

if a pro shoots three over par on a day where par is the norm, and he loses a stroke to the field putting, where is he losing the other three strokes?
                                                                It’s a bit weak from a statistics point of view.
                                                                I suspect the professor didn’t put it in such basic terms.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                  But they take twice as many shots as putts, so does that not equalise things?
                                                                  As you say more opportunity to gain strokes T2G but each of the four elements are viewed in isolation to determine their contribution, strokes gained driving (off the tee), strokes gained approach and strokes gained short game (around the green) and strokes gained putting.

Average SG: just Off Tee of Top 100 players this year is 0.33 while putting for the Top 100 is 0.295. That's top 100 in the category plus if you look at Top 10 or 20 in each you'll recognise far more guys off the tee than putting.

Rory FWIW is 1.215 off the tee and closest to him is 0.8 which indicates his edge.

Obviously the skills off tee such as distance/power are far more likely to contribute to success in approach play too.

Comment

It's McIlroy's wedge play that is absolute shit - His putting is fine to an extent.

He's leaving himself 15 footers regularly from 100yrd wedge shots.
                                                                    The no 1 on tour averages 15ft from 100-125.

Rory averages 20ft from 100-125 and 125-150.

No 1 is 17ft from 125-150.

His putting has improved this year but watch him down the stretch along with some of his shot selection and that’s why despite having an all time great stats year he has only won twice.

If you watched the final round at Riveira and Quail Hollow closely and see how many shots he just threw away it makes sense. He was blessed at 15 in the players after hitting a brain dead tee shot that got very lucky.

He should win more with the way he hits the ball but he doesn’t.

He gets more scrutiny than most because of how good he is.

No major since 2014 for him is shockingly bad.
                                                                    His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

A worn out phrase at this stage but it's true, not all heroes wear capes

Get the latest headlines: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/Telegraph.co.uk and YouTube.com/TelegraphTV are websites of The Telegraph, the UK's best-selling qualit...

Comment

Fierce mild out
                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                          Fierce mild out
                                                                          Thunder and heavy rain here. Waste of time watering the garden yesterday.
                                                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                                            Thunder and heavy rain here. Waste of time watering the garden yesterday.
                                                                            IT was like the end of days around Baggot St a little while ago

Comment

Paging @Satnav
                                                                              Whats a decent deal for Sky Bundle? 2 Rooms, phone/BB etc
                                                                              Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                              https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

He's definitely getting a tougher ride since he follows Tiger as the next big thing. Thats true.

Els wasn't near as talented a golfer as Rory imo. But point taken over major drought.

The thing that makes me think the mental thing has merit is that there is actual empirical evidence of it. That routine approach on 18 at the Open Day 2....
                                                                                The OB off the tee on Day 1.
                                                                                Yesterday his wedge (and his wedge games been strong lately) from inside Koepka off the tee to 5 feet outside him on 8 (I think).

There are likely countless examples of him "missing" when it matters. I think if you went back throuhg his rounds with this perspective you'd see it (I havent, its a hypotheses).

You could argue thats golf, and its high variance but I dont think so. Arguments like "He cna crush a field when he is on" almost lend credence to the fragility argument, he is on when there is no pressure... off when there is.

Outside of all that, having your best mate on the bag is bullshit. He needs someone to get his mind right when he's wavering. Harry doesnt look like he can do that.
                                                                                This is the bit I can’t understand.

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post
                                                                                  Paging @Satnav
                                                                                  Whats a decent deal for Sky Bundle? 2 Rooms, phone/BB etc
                                                                                  All offers changing Friday

Currently good offer 60 euro TV and BB 17. 50 extra box.

If you go to carphone warehouse its only 55 plus 17.50.

That's basic tv btw.

If you purchase 2TB box you can add multiple boxes with no extra sub btw. 1TB box only supports 1 box. Upfront payment higher but well worth it. I have 4 boxes, here. Right job.
                                                                                  Last edited by SatNav; 30-07-19, 18:38.
                                                                                  Her sky-ness
                                                                                  © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                                                                    This is the bit I can’t understand.
                                                                                    It seems to be popular for pros to have a friend/relative be their caddie. Sergio and DJ use their brothers, Fleetwood, Fowler, Rory use a friend. There's likely more.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Sheen View Post
                                                                                      It seems to be popular for pros to have a friend/relative be their caddie. Sergio and DJ use their brothers, Fleetwood, Fowler, Rory use a friend. There's likely more.
                                                                                      What I can’t understand is how some golfers value them highly at 10% of purse and others value them at zero (or close to) by not having a professional. Seems quite binary.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                                                                        What I can’t understand is how some golfers value them highly at 10% of purse and others value them at zero (or close to) by not having a professional. Seems quite binary.
                                                                                        I assume even if they're using someone they have a personal relationship with they pay them the going rate (salary plus 5-10% of winnings). It just seems it's a personal choice, some guys prefer to lean on their caddies for lots of shots, or will spend a long time discussing putts and other guys just want the basic info and are hitting it or going with their first read of a putt and not giving it a second look.

Comment

The caddy should be a pro and should view silly high risk shots as an earnings hit. Rory needs a hard nose caddy to reel him in.

Comment

A worn out phrase at this stage but it's true, not all heroes wear capes
                                                                                            Its absolutely crazy, the collaborators accuse us of Trump Derangement Syndrome but he can say any blatant racist shite he likes, bare faced lie about 9/11 that most sacred shibboleth and it all gets excused because the stock market ticked up 2 points. Fucking morons.
                                                                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

All offers changing Friday

Currently good offer 60 euro TV and BB 17. 50 extra box.

If you go to carphone warehouse its only 55 plus 17.50.

That's basic tv btw.

If you purchase 2TB box you can add multiple boxes with no extra sub btw. 1TB box only supports 1 box. Upfront payment higher but well worth it. I have 4 boxes, here. Right job.
                                                                                              I'm being charged extra for a mini box with the 2TB silver box. Are there ever offers for existing customers except for crappy cheap movies? Unless you threaten to cancel you get nothing.

Comment

Westwood's missus was on his bag for the Open...

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
                                                                                                  I'm being charged extra for a mini box with the 2TB silver box. Are there ever offers for existing customers except for crappy cheap movies? Unless you threaten to cancel you get nothing.
                                                                                                  What I mean is everyone pays for first mini boxes any added ones you have no monthly sub. But the 2Tb box is only box that supports multiple boxes.

How much is your monthly bill and what do you have?
                                                                                                  Her sky-ness
                                                                                                  © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                    Westwood's missus was on his bag for the Open...
                                                                                                    Another bottler!

Comment

Another bottler!
                                                                                                      Westwood or the wife

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                        Its absolutely crazy, the collaborators accuse us of Trump Derangement Syndrome but he can say any blatant racist shite he likes, bare faced lie about 9/11 that most sacred shibboleth and it all gets excused because the stock market ticked up 2 points. Fucking morons.
                                                                                                        I never heard of that before, it's funny that it's even a term.

Next round of democratic nomination debates tonight, interesting to see if Warren & Sanders keep it as friendly as they have thus far.

Also Buttigieg polled quite well after the last debate, not quite Harris well given she's fav but the bounce she recieved started to regress a tad according to some polls.

I think if Buttigieg can show up once again tonight that 11/1 on him isn't a bad price. Harris at 11/4 seems short.

Comment

Dont forget to join the IPB Fantasy Football ye swines

Comment

I think Westwood is an amazing fella

Near enough the worst putter on tour, so bad that he would probably lose the putting competitions in every good clubhouse in the world

Yet, still puts himself up there, still gets into contention, knowing that his putting is probably going to let him down & not even in the final round, just constantly dropping shots from day one

Any sensible person would have quit and sat on the money years ago

Hero...of sorts

Comment

Anyone got a good contact for a Web Designer?

Usually enjoy doing Wordpress etc, but I have a bigger project a want done and would rather a professional job on it.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                                                                                I think Westwood is an amazing fella

Near enough the worst putter on tour, so bad that he would probably lose the putting competitions in every good clubhouse in the world

Yet, still puts himself up there, still gets into contention, knowing that his putting is probably going to let him down & not even in the final round, just constantly dropping shots from day one

Any sensible person would have quit and sat on the money years ago

Hero...of sorts
                                                                                                                Famously it's always been his chipping .

Easy money for him playing a few rounds every week.

Comment

What I mean is everyone pays for first mini boxes any added ones you have no monthly sub. But the 2Tb box is only box that supports multiple boxes.

How much is your monthly bill and what do you have?
                                                                                                                  I'm at the end of a half price sports deal I got after I said I'd cancel it. Without that I think it's something like 108 a month or so. I have everything except movies. Most of which I don't use, but there is one or two things on each pack that the missus would use.

Edit: only TV, no phone and I have bb elsewhere.

Comment

Sent you a pm
                                                                                                                    Her sky-ness
                                                                                                                    © 5starpool

Comment

I never heard of that before, it's funny that it's even a term.

Next round of democratic nomination debates tonight, interesting to see if Warren & Sanders keep it as friendly as they have thus far.

Also Buttigieg polled quite well after the last debate, not quite Harris well given she's fav but the bounce she recieved started to regress a tad according to some polls.

I think if Buttigieg can show up once again tonight that 11/1 on him isn't a bad price. Harris at 11/4 seems short.
                                                                                                                      Apparently little of note from last night. Warren & Sanders being squared off against more moderates as expected.

Warren performed well and the less well known John Delaney was the primary combatant of the moderates. Warren came out the best of it but his Google searches went up 3,400% so he can't really be considered anything g but a winner.

CNN format reported as pretty abysmal at times though and Beto was poor again so hes essentially gone at this stage.

Comment

Anyone got a good contact for a Web Designer?

Usually enjoy doing Wordpress etc, but I have a bigger project a want done and would rather a professional job on it.

Cheers
                                                                                                                        I recommended a friend of mine to Lazare last year and he was very happy with his work. PM sent with his phone number

Comment

Jesus, Ed Thorp looks like this at 86

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X